PDA

View Full Version : East of Scotland Shield

Golden Bear
15-07-2012, 09:33 AM
The attendance at the pre season Dundee derby yesterday proved that fans will still turn up for a game with a particular local flavour to it.

One way of accumulating extra revenue could be the full reinstatement of the East of Scotland Shield competition which in recent years has been played at youth level between Hibs and Hearts.

I think I'm right in saying that the East of Scotland Shield was formally known as the Edinburgh FA Cup so why not invite Dunfermline and Livingston into the competition with all Clubs sharing equally the income from the gates. Finding convenient dates could be a problem but surely not an insurmountable one.

Maybe a local company could be found to sponsor the new event - it's worth a try imo.

Pretty Boy
15-07-2012, 09:40 AM
I always enjoy the EOS games.

Maybe worth trying to play it in an Olympic style eg a squad must have 11 players under 23 or 25 and 5 overage players. Play it over a couple of midweeks during the festival, Hibs v Livi on a Tuesday, Hearts v Dunfermilne on the Wednesday then the final the following Wednesday but get it properly promoted as part of the festival and try and get tourists/neutrals along.

As long as it was financially worthwhile I'd be in favour of giving something like that a go.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2012, 09:43 AM
The attendance at the pre season Dundee derby yesterday proved that fans will still turn up for a game with a particular local flavour to it.

One way of accumulating extra revenue could be the full reinstatement of the East of Scotland Shield competition which in recent years has been played at youth level between Hibs and Hearts.

I think I'm right in saying that the East of Scotland Shield was formally known as the Edinburgh FA Cup so why not invite Dunfermline and Livingston into the competition with all Clubs sharing equally the income from the gates. Finding convenient dates could be a problem but surely not an insurmountable one.

Maybe a local company could be found to sponsor the new event - it's worth a try imo.

I agree, it could be part of our pre season. The 4 teams you mention could play each other, Hibs V livi and Hearts V Dunfermline, the winners meeting in the final.

You would hope it would be a Hibs Hearts final most seasons, and a decent money spinner for both clubs. It would be much better than Hibs v Huddersfield, which will be poorly attended, perhaps 6000 at best?

Pretty Boy
15-07-2012, 09:50 AM
I've always wondered about the idea of a twin cities.cup pre season as well.

Edinburgh is twin cities with amongst others: Nice, Munich, Aalborg and Florence as well as being a partner city of Krakow.

A 6 team tournament of Hibs, Hearts, Wisla Krakow, Fiornetina, Nice and 1860 or Bayern Munich would surely attract a few people along and a decent sponsor.

CropleyWasGod
15-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Edinburgh is twin cities with amongst others: Nice, Munich, Aalborg and Florence as well as being a partner city of Krakow.

A 6 team tournament of Hibs, Hearts, Wisla Krakow, Fiornetina, Nice and 1860 or Bayern Munich would surely attract a few people along and a decent sponsor.

It used to happen, albeit a bit differently. The last time was Edinburgh vs. Munich, maybe in the 80's?

HH81
15-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Some great ideas here, although i could see the police not being too happy about pre season Edinburgh derbies.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2012, 09:56 AM

I wonder what the cost would be though, they'd not come to play in Edinburgh for nothing? We have to think of that these days, and with that in mind, to engineer a Hibs Hearts final, the game that would make money with little expense.

I think the four teams mentioned earlier, with Dunfermline and Livi at home, against us and the Yams as part of the pre season, would give us the most chance of making a bit of money from pre season, rather than spending money?

Its something i suppose we have to look into now?

Hibrandenburg
15-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Like. All these cities are quite attractive in their own right. The tournament location could be alternated between participating cities.

H18sry
15-07-2012, 10:00 AM
The appeal of yesterday's Dundee derby was probable down to them not having played each other for a few season's, more than anything else.

Future17
15-07-2012, 10:01 AM

I think the cost of arranging an inter-nation tournament outweighs the potential for profit.

I like the idea of a local tournament during the festival. How about having it as 20 min 7 a side games at one stadium over the course of one day in a tournament format? Round robin and then knockout stage. Spectators could come and go as they pleased throughout the day and there could be stuff organised for the kids in the concourses or local area around the stadium.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
15-07-2012, 11:42 AM
It used to happen, albeit a bit differently. The last time was Edinburgh vs. Munich, maybe in the 80's?

84 or 85 I think. I was at that game. It was played at Tynie and I think Edinburgh wore black and white stripes, but I can't remember anything else about it, sorry.

DC_Hibs
15-07-2012, 11:46 AM
The appeal of yesterday's Dundee derby was probable down to them not having played each other for a few season's, more than anything else.

Nail on the head. They havent played each other 3, 4 or even 5 times a season for 15 years solid which is probably the main reason it was so well attended.
The idea of inviting overseas teams then brings substantial travel expenses into play reducing the benefit to Hibs so is a non starter in my view.

I do like the original idea of having a think about revenue making ideas for Hibs to assist with the hit they might take in coming seasons and and had thought of the prospect of additional games now that many Scotland international games are taking place on Friday nights meaning there'd be no clash with a saturday friendly for example.

Part/Time Supporter
15-07-2012, 11:56 AM
They tried that with the Festival Cup, but the SPL ****ed it over completely by scheduling a league derby two weeks later.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2012, 12:00 PM
They tried that with the Festival Cup, but the SPL ****ed it over completely by scheduling a league derby two weeks later.

:agree: Although these days it appears clubs can ask to play friendlies during the season, and postpone games, If this was the case and a derby was due, we could just cancel it for another date later in the season?

erin go bragh
15-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Pretty sure Hibs have won the shield for the last 8 seasons .

ggtth