PDA

View Full Version : We need some strikers

sbell1875
14-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I happen to rate Doyle and I liked the look of Caldwell today when he came on but if we have any hope of getting out of the bottom 6 / relegation battle we've been involved in the last couple of seasons we need some strikers.

If Well can get the likes of Higdon and United can get Daly scoring when neither I don't think are particularly good we can surely pluck someone from somewhere?!

chriswood1401
14-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Think Pat's already said that this was one of his priorities earlier in the week. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in talks with someone already.

I think either way we'll be seeing a lot more of Doyle this season, something that I'm personally looking forward to. Not the finished article but showed a couple of promising glimpses toward the end of last season, particularly against Dunfermline at ER when he was our best player by a mile and a half.

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Surely PF will be working on this already, Doyle just doesn't cut it and has shown little to show he ever will IMO. Maybe a better player out wide but never a striker who will score regularly in the SPL.

s.a.m
14-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Tom Hall ‏@ScotFootBlog (https://twitter.com/ScotFootBlog)
Alan Maybury came on at half time for Hibs. No other trialist action. Fenlon telling fans earlier that he is working on Griffiths signing.
Tom Hall ‏@ScotFootBlog (https://twitter.com/ScotFootBlog)
@ThomasMaben (https://twitter.com/ThomasMaben) Nah. I wouldn't be confident of Griffiths either, not much money about. A striker is an absolute must though.

bingo70
14-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Strangely enough i don't think it's a goalscoring striker we need.

IMO we need a big unselfish striker that will do the ugly stuff and bring midfielders into the game

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2012, 05:05 PM

IMO we need a big unselfish striker that will do the ugly stuff and bring midfielders into the game

Unselfish and striker in the same sentence never a good mix, strikers are there to score goals nothing else.

sbell1875
14-07-2012, 05:05 PM
This time last year in the game against East Fife Cillian Sheridan played for us and I don't know his situation at CSKA Sofia but I think he would be a great signing. Also, has Sandaza signed for none yet?

Leighonel
14-07-2012, 05:07 PM

This is what I thought till I saw Caldwell today, he did everything you described. Might be less effective in the spl though.

I do like Doyle but 4-2-3-1 isn't the system for him. He needs someone next to him. He is always looking to go wide or make runs in behind when we need him to hold it up.

LeighLoyal
14-07-2012, 05:19 PM
This is what I thought till I saw Caldwell today, he did everything you described. Might be less effective in the spl though. I do like Doyle but 4-2-3-1 isn't the system for him. He needs someone next to him. He is always looking to go wide or make runs in behind when we need him to hold it up.What about Danny Handling? Isn't he a top prospect, 7 in 7 on loan? Maybe Caldwell and him could break through like Deek and GOC did ten years back.

Leighonel
14-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I feel Caldwell will be good for us, just hoping Rebook isn't looking far and wide for a player which is already on the books. Handling came on late so he didn't get to see much of the ball, and would be unfair to judge him on it, but he could've scored when Caldwell layed it across to him. Tbf to him it was well blocked.

Caldwell and Handling did seem to link up well in the short time they were together.

It might be a touch premature but I feel these young guys could play a large for Hibs. I was surprised not to see Scott Smith though.

Franck Stanton
14-07-2012, 06:49 PM
As someone already posted, Fenlon is quoted as stating a striker is paramount and will no doubt be the next player he signs. That will give us any two from N/S, Doyle, Caldwell, Handling,even move Ivan into middle. Suddenly we are, imo, looking not too bad in that department. [Hoping for a reasonable quality new guy], that imo would leave a new c/m "general" as being the next priority on the shopping list. [ Wouldn't mind Deano as well, but am I just being greedy ?].

crash
14-07-2012, 07:08 PM
We need to get players in midfield who can play quick passes to the strikers,nobody in the current midfield has that and this should be the priority.
Seems like Fenlon hasn't learned from last season. Looking to buy guns when we dont have any bullets.

Iggy Pope
14-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Unselfish and striker in the same sentence never a good mix, strikers are there to score goals nothing else.

Agree. Eoin was remarkably unselfish at Bayview today with the ball dead in front of him, two yards out and a keeper prone on the ground.

Although Ivan on the other hand selfishly blasted the ball roughly in the direction of Buckhaven or somesuch when he could have squared for a well deserved Caldwell tap-in.

:greengrin

Keith_M
14-07-2012, 08:56 PM
We need some strikers

And in other news....

It's often dark during nighttime.
The Pope is a catholic.
The sea can be rather wet.

eastmainsmsh
14-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Rowan Vine freed by qpr not a bad player but cant see it

--------
14-07-2012, 09:11 PM
We need some strikers

And in other news....

It's often dark during nighttime.
The Pope is a catholic.
The sea can be rather wet.

Goit that the wrong way round, mate.

The BEAR's a Catholic.

The Pope craps in the woods. :wink:

DH1875
14-07-2012, 09:15 PM
This time last year in the game against East Fife Cillian Sheridan played for us and I don't know his situation at CSKA Sofia but I think he would be a great signing. Also, has Sandaza signed for none yet?

I'd take Sandaza in a heart beat. As for Sheridan, are you joking :confused:. He's total guff and I said that this time last year before he done NOTHING for St.J.

We need at least 2 forwards through the door :agree:.

Iggy Pope
14-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Goit that the wrong way round, mate.

The BEAR's a Catholic.

The Pope craps in the woods. :wink:

Blue Is The Colour will have a laugh at that tonight if nowt else.

SMAXXA
14-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Surely PF will be working on this already, Doyle just doesn't cut it and has shown little to show he ever will IMO. Maybe a better player out wide but never a striker who will score regularly in the SPL.

Don't agree, how you can say that on the limited appearanced he has had behind garry o and griff there's no surprise he didn't play more. He's settling in hopefully he should be now but how you can write him off is bizare imo.

We need a couple of wingers, pacey wingers who csn pitch in with goals, I've not seen a team that lacks wingers as much as hibs for years. We rely on strikers to score all our goals where I'd guess last season our top scoring midfielder would be on 3 or 4, ffs skachel scorrd that in 1 game.

We need 2 wingers at least and 2 strikers, a big kyle, higdon, daily or sutton type striker and a nippy wee guy who will give us something different.

We need to reevaluate how we play imo

Northernhibee
14-07-2012, 09:58 PM
I think that more than anything else is we need an absolute thug of a midfielder. One that'll scare the ***** out of the opposing team and will leave stud marks on many a shin.

Not Ian Black though.

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Don't agree, how you can say that on the limited appearanced he has had behind garry o and griff there's no surprise he didn't play more. He's settling in hopefully he should be now but how you can write him off is bizare imo.

We need a couple of wingers, pacey wingers who csn pitch in with goals, I've not seen a team that lacks wingers as much as hibs for years. We rely on strikers to score all our goals where I'd guess last season our top scoring midfielder would be on 3 or 4, ffs skachel scorrd that in 1 game.

We need 2 wingers at least and 2 strikers, a big kyle, higdon, daily or sutton type striker and a nippy wee guy who will give us something different.

We need to reevaluate how we play imo

Haven't completely written him off, as I said he will maybe do better out wide however as an out and out striker he simply isn't good enough for the SPL nothing bizarre about that IMO

SteveHFC
14-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Just finished watching the highlights on Hibs TV of today's game.

I would start Caldwell and a New Striker against Dundee Utd on the first day of the season :cb

GGTTH07
15-07-2012, 12:11 AM
I'd take Sandaza in a heart beat. As for Sheridan, are you joking :confused:. He's total guff and I said that this time last year before he done NOTHING for St.J.

We need at least 2 forwards through the door :agree:.

I'd prefer Sheridan in actual fact! Think he was impressive last season.

Steve20
15-07-2012, 06:19 AM
We need two strikers.

hibsbollah
15-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Can anyone confirm what formation we played? and was it consistent throughout the 90 mins?

3pm
15-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Can anyone confirm what formation we played? and was it consistent throughout the 90 mins?

4-4-1-1. Yes until DW subbed with 10 mins to go and Handling went up front with Caldwell.

hibsbollah
15-07-2012, 08:19 AM
4-4-1-1. Yes until DW subbed with 10 mins to go and Handling went up front with Caldwell.

:aok: thanks. So Doyler was the deep striker then?

3pm
15-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Doyle up top, DW off him.

HH81
15-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Just finished watching the highlights on Hibs TV of today's game.

I would start Caldwell and a New Striker against Dundee Utd on the first day of the season :cb

Caldwell instead of Doyle? I have been impressed with Doyle and I think will turn into a good player for hibs if he starts games.

Tyler Durden
15-07-2012, 11:33 AM
We need to get players in midfield who can play quick passes to the strikers,nobody in the current midfield has that and this should be the priority.
Seems like Fenlon hasn't learned from last season. Looking to buy guns when we dont have any bullets.

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly for me.

Fenlons talked about last seasons strike force limited the way we could play. It didnt seem to stop us punting long balls to them regularly.

He seems to be looking for someone who can play a lone striker role and that makes sense but unless we sign some creative midfielders the forwards will be feeding off scraps again.

Dean Shiels would be a huge step in the right direction but not sure how realistic that is.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I am still not sure the way that Fenlon wants his teams to play. Couldn't tell an awful lot from yesterday and I don't think it was very clear from the make and do performances that we got during the great escape. It is one thing to say we need a striker, but if we maybe get a forward with a bit about him, that can make the ball stick, and then that brings other players into the game. I would rather see someone like that come in, to help the players around him get into double figures.