PDA

View Full Version : Are Celtic an irrelevance ?

NAE NOOKIE
14-07-2012, 03:45 PM
In view of the fact that there will seriously not be a challenge to Celtic next season given that they are miles ahead of everybody else in spending terms, will it be the case that their presence in the SPL will be a side issue to the real competition.

The only thing that makes league matches exciting for your average OF gloryhunter is the fact that losing it could mean that the other ugly sister will catch you up. If 10 games into the season you are already 10 points in front of everybody else with no chance of being caught ...... whats the point.

Meanwhile .... for us supporters of the diddy teams the real race is for 2nd place ... for us it could be really exciting ... for Celtic fans the league will be a bore fest ............... Good !

Dinkydoo
14-07-2012, 03:58 PM
It could swing two ways in my opinion.

1. Celtic miles ahead with the league all but wrapped up by January.

2. Celtic still winning, but it being closer due to the fact that each team now only has one set of games that they are pretty much guaranteed to lose, rather than two.

The realist in me is saying option 1 is much more likely however the optimist hopes the logic behind outcome 2 means the league finishing this way isn't too much of an improbability.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2012, 04:01 PM
With there being a champions league qualifier available, plus another european spot up for grabs, this could be quite an exciting season for a few clubs? :top marks

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2012, 04:04 PM
In view of the fact that there will seriously not be a challenge to Celtic next season given that they are miles ahead of everybody else in spending terms, will it be the case that their presence in the SPL will be a side issue to the real competition.

The only thing that makes league matches exciting for your average OF gloryhunter is the fact that losing it could mean that the other ugly sister will catch you up. If 10 games into the season you are already 10 points in front of everybody else with no chance of being caught ...... whats the point.

Meanwhile .... for us supporters of the diddy teams the real race is for 2nd place ... for us it could be really exciting ... for Celtic fans the league will be a bore fest ............... Good !

As opposed to the race for third, hardly inspiring excitement is it?

NAE NOOKIE
14-07-2012, 04:11 PM
As opposed to the race for third, hardly inspiring excitement is it?

Or as I like to think of it in my brave new world .... second :greengrin

Ozyhibby
14-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Depends what the gang of ten( soon to be eleven) have in mind for closing the gap. i.e. Shared gates, shared European money, shared TV money, salary caps etc.

Hibercelona
14-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Of course they are irrelevant.

They always have been. Even when that other irrelevance was in the league.

NAE NOOKIE
14-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Depends what the gang of ten( soon to be eleven) have in mind for closing the gap. i.e. Shared gates, shared European money, shared TV money, salary caps etc.

Erm ...... as far as I am aware Celtic have at least 2 players on over 20K a week. No amount of gate sharing will close that gap in the next season.

Ozyhibby
14-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Obviously I did not mean this season. In answer to the original question then this year they are an irrelevance but going forward, possibly not.

Hibercelona
14-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Erm ...... as far as I am aware Celtic have at least 2 players on over 20K a week. No amount of gate sharing will close that gap in the next season.

Is it not a couple on 30k with the rest on 10-25k?

ScottB
14-07-2012, 04:47 PM
I think they'll win the league, but not by miles by any means.

1. They hardly ran off with it this year.
2. Taking away the 12 points the rest of us are likely to lose a year against Rangers will have teams running them closer.
3. Celtic seemed incapable of dealing with pressure last year.
4. I'd imagine complacency will be a big issue for them...

...WentToMowAnSPL
14-07-2012, 04:50 PM
What's the situation with the coefficient !!! That would be a killer for the zombie Huns if they contribute 'nil point' :-)

surreyhibbie
14-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Who?

:greengrin

LeighLoyal
14-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I will cheer any team that takes a point of them, even Hertz.

HibsMax
14-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I think it should make for an exciting season regardless of which way it goes.

Hibby D
14-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Of course they are irrelevant.

They always have been. Even when that other irrelevance was in the league.

Such wise words from one so young :greengrin

:top marks

Sir David Gray
14-07-2012, 10:37 PM
With there being a champions league qualifier available, plus another european spot up for grabs, this could be quite an exciting season for a few clubs? :top marks

Only the SPL champions will get into the Champions League qualifiers for 2013-14.

Second and third place will be in the Europa League, along with next season's Scottish Cup winners.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Only the SPL champions will get into the Champions League qualifiers for 2013-14.

Second and third place will be in the Europa League, along with next season's Scottish Cup winners.

Oh well, never mind.

fatbloke
14-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Always have been and always will be.

Seveno
15-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I think we might find that every team will try that harder against them now that they are the only 'giant' to beat. Every match could be a cup tie for them just like those Sevco matches in SFL3.

Barney McGrew
15-07-2012, 12:17 PM
With their other cheek stone dead now, every time Celtc so much as drop a point it will be treated as a crisis by weegie papers desperate to drum up sales.

Chibs
15-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I will cheer any team that takes a point of them, even Hertz.
Any team yes but not the ****

Hibspirational
15-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Always have been and always will be.

:agree::pfgwa

Keith_M
15-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Sorry, but what a stupid question.

They're the biggest club in the league by a mile and will probably win the title by some distance.

How can they possibly be an irrelevance? :confused:

VickMackie
15-07-2012, 05:11 PM

They're the biggest club in the league by a mile and will probably win the title by some distance.

I think they become an irrelevance because they've probably sewn up the next 3 league titles so no one really cares about them as they're isolated. It will probably take some of the strong dislike for the OF cartel now that it doesn't exist.

It'll also take the shine off their titles.

Let us 'diddy clubs' concentrate on our own game, make Scottish football better for us diddies.

HibsNibs
15-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Yes - we (diddy clubs) should just ignore them and concentrate on the real prize which is 2nd place and a champs league qualifier spot. In fact I'd rest key players for games v celtc(sic) and keep them for the games that really matter. Hopefully they will soon follow their cousins into oblivion and we can have a clean sustainable competitive league.

Andy74
16-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Yes - we (diddy clubs) should just ignore them and concentrate on the real prize which is 2nd place and a champs league qualifier spot. In fact I'd rest key players for games v celtc(sic) and keep them for the games that really matter. Hopefully they will soon follow their cousins into oblivion and we can have a clean sustainable competitive league.

Yep, take the reserves to Parkhead - the Celtic fans would soon get fed up and hopefully Celtic get dragged nearer our level!

Agree with the thread though, Celtic now have no real relevance other than being Champions of a league that only they can really compete in.

Once they get pumped out of Europe it could be a long, boring season for their fans.

jacomo
16-07-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised by Celtic's silence since Sevco found out the SPL won't play with them anymore. Other than plead for their own fans to turn up next season, they've said nothing about the ramifications for Scottish football.

I can only assume Lawwell and the others are too upset to appear in public now that their buddies and partners-in-crime are gone. I'm sure they'll turn out for the unfurling of the flag but attendances at Celtic Park will be well off this season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Shock leaked e-mail will show that Celtc wanted their equally odious reflection, voted back in the SPL. Their supporters, who are always decent and principalled people, impose the threatened "economic sanctions" and the HMRC come calling. Sportsound and Radio Clyde start three year sponsored silence.

Lungo--Drom
16-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Celtic are an irrelevance now. They copied Hibernians FC and the format established by the Rev. Canon Hannan & co. IIRC they invited some of the Hibs management team over to Glasgow and got them pishered and quizzed them about how to set up and run a Catholic football team. To add insult to injury they stole a lot of our players in the first season or two. The only minor saving grace is that the first match ever played at Parkhead was Cowlairs v's Hibernians because Celtic hadn't managed to cobble (or steal) a team together yet.

Their arch soup kitchen rivals, the Currant Buns FC are now, IMHO, heading down the slippery slope to eternal Div 3 doldrums. There is nothing left to fight for unless they want to fight us of course. We were here first, we played in green and white hoops first, we've got a better 'Irish' name than them :na na:

:flag:

GGTTH!

NAE NOOKIE
16-07-2012, 06:06 PM

For that very reason .... they are so far in front that the real competition next season will be for 2nd place. By the time the season is half way through nobody will care about their results unless one of the other SPL teams pull off a win against them.

I didnt mean irrelevant as a club. I meant an irrelevance to the competition. In that context my question is far from stupid. In fact from a Celtic fans point of view the next few seasons will be an irrelevance only made worthwhile due to the inevitable champions league qualification.

hibsbollah
16-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Tweeted by Irvine Welsh today....

Give Celtc some love this season. Theyre gonna feel like Shrek without his talking donkey.

:hilarious

Robinho08
16-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Perhaps the first season they'll romp it, but the 2 or 3 seasons after that will be weaker due to not attracking big players over a couple of years. :confused: