PDA

View Full Version : If we could take only 1 player back.

iainm1875
14-07-2012, 05:06 AM
If we could only take 1 ex player back, who would you take?

aussie_hibee
14-07-2012, 05:14 AM
David Murphy

.Sean.
14-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Kevin Thomson, closely followed by David Murphy. Two class acts.

If they're not available, that Enoch Showunmi fellae :agree:

allezsauzee
14-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Scott Brown

Cocaine&Caviar
14-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Fletcher, without a doubt. The only one to have truely fulfilled their potential (not a dig at Murphy, he just didn't have as much room to progress).

All the rest are wasters tbh bar Whittaker.

lucky
14-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Thompson and , Fletcher are the two best we have produced in the last 30 years

Barney McGrew
14-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Scott Brown

Absolutely. We're crying out for a nasty ******* in the middle of the park who can run the game and lead by example.

jdships
14-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Fletcher, without a doubt. The only one to have truely fulfilled their potential (not a dig at Murphy, he just didn't have as much room to progress).

All the rest are wasters tbh bar Whittaker.

Fletcher for me :agree::thumbsup:

hibee
14-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Scott Brown, we've still never come close to replacing him.

Mark79
14-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Franck

sbell1875
14-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Brown, Murphy and Fletcher in that order. Scott Brown is simply not the player now that he was at Hibs and he is still a quality player. Murphy was the most consistent performer of the last 10 years and hasn't even came close to being replaced. Fletcher scored important goals in big games and really stepped up to the challenge of playing at a higher level.

As for Zemmama and Thomson. My own opinion is that despite their obvious qualities they didn't do enough in my book to earn all the gloating that we sometimes give them. No doubt they're both quality players but you have to mind the lack of loyalty Thomson showed after 2 years of helping him recover from injury and Zemmama barely played.

I would also add that Whittaker & Killen are 2 other players that were never in any part replaced. You can't replace a Mercedes Benz with a Rover Metro and expect the same driving experience.

lord bunberry
14-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Broony was different class for hibs imo he has been turned from a skillful attacking midfielder to a midfield hardman since going to celtic

KSA Hibee
14-07-2012, 08:34 AM
without question ..... Le God http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

sbell1875
14-07-2012, 08:36 AM
I would also like to add Beuzelin to this list. A very skilful player and a really quality individual on and off the pitch.

Delighted to have just read that he is still in the country and involved with Falkirk and also the Stirling university team.

LancsHibs
14-07-2012, 08:52 AM
I voted 'an other' would take Fletcher, Murphy, Scotty Brown, Bamba or Alan O'Brian ahead of the players listed.

:-) snook that last one in for a laugh!

chriswood1401
14-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Scott Brown, Franck or John O'Neill.

danhibees1875
14-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Thompson and , Fletcher are the two best we have produced in the last 30 years
Has Thomson actually done much in the last couple of years? I vaguely remember him putting in a shocking challenge on some guy while playing for Middlesbrough(?) and I think he's broken at least one of his own bones since he left too but that's about it.

I'd say Fletcher, and then brown (even though he has lacked ambition).

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Pat Stanton, Joe Baker or any of the famous five.

offshorehibby
14-07-2012, 09:18 AM
I've went with sheils as i think he is a more realistic target and by all accounts a much improved all round player. It was a close run thing with maybe KT, although he was prick when he left he is a very gifted midfield something our midfield could do with.

Hibercelona
14-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Murphy

Him and McPake at the back would be a fantastic partnership.

Otherwise, it would have to be Scott Brown.

easty
14-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Scott Brown. Not just the best player we've had in the last few years, but absolutely the type of player our team needs just now.

ginger_rice
14-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Scott Brown. Not just the best player we've had in the last few years, but absolutely the type of player our team needs just now.

I agree absolutely, we need guys with dig and aggression. Having said that i can think of many retired players I would take before Broonie, see Blackpool's post above.

VickMackie
14-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Zemmama, only one that's added any excitement at a game for years. Other the Collins megging Viera!

VickMackie
14-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Brown. Anyone got his goal scoring record?

For all his 'attacking drive' I've never thought he was that great.

neilmartinrocks
14-07-2012, 10:05 AM
i honestly wouldn't let katie back in to clean the bogs.

even if he crawled over broken glass to get to er.

Dinkydoo
14-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Either of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0NJm-H6t58&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hainan Hibs
14-07-2012, 11:15 AM
From the list I'd take back Zemmama, we are desperately needing that player with a spark who can create openings from nowhere.

Hibercelona
14-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Brown. Anyone got his goal scoring record?

For all his 'attacking drive' I've never thought he was that great.

Whats his goal scoring record got to do with anything?

Players like Riordan, O'Connor and Fletcher would have been nowhere near as prolific in a Hibs top if it wasn't for Scott Brown leading the way in midfield.

iainm1875
14-07-2012, 11:16 AM
If we could only take 1 ex player back, who would you take?

What I should have asked is "Realistically" who would you take back. The purpose of the poll was really to see if we fancied Shiels or Griffiths. I think that's been answered.

VickMackie
14-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Whats his goal scoring record got to do with anything?

Players like Riordan, O'Connor and Fletcher would have been nowhere near as prolific in a Hibs top if it wasn't for Scott Brown leading the way in midfield.

He was billed as a great attacking midfielder. Great AM score goals.

And yes, I'm aware he's changed since he went to Celtic and is a headless chicken at the highest levels of international and European football, IMO of course.

Hibercelona
14-07-2012, 11:59 AM
He was billed as a great attacking midfielder. Great AM score goals.

And yes, I'm aware he's changed since he went to Celtic and is a headless chicken at the highest levels of international and European football, IMO of course.

Not all great attacking midfielders score loads of goals.

Scott Brown was quick, tricky, new how to pick out a perfect pass and new how to get right into the faces of the opposition.

I do however agree that he's only a shadow of his former self at Celtic.

Hibs3-2
14-07-2012, 12:03 PM
without a shadow of doubt, scott brown

Billychaotic182
14-07-2012, 12:15 PM
A young injury free fit Boozy

stormchild
14-07-2012, 12:16 PM
rob jones, don't know what he's up to right now but him and mcpake...

--------
14-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Kevin Thomson, closely followed by David Murphy. Two class acts.

If they're not available, that Enoch Showunmi fellae :agree:

You mean TAM Sowumni the Hungarian-Nigerian tap-dancer, shurelee? :devil:

I voted for AN Other.

I mind when his dad turned out for our reserves every week back in the '60's.

Along with the boy Newman and the other lad Trialist.

Cracking half-back line - Newman, Trialist and AN Other.

(AN Other had his initials listed in the paper because he was an amateur - the other two were professionals.)

Ancient Alzheimery folks ken whit Ah'm talkin aboot.

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Doyle

Sorry my mistake I thought the thread title said players you'd like to give back!

Scott Brown without a doubt

MG1965
16-07-2012, 08:16 AM
I would take back Scott Brown the chances he would create for our forwards would turn them into forwards like Steven Fletcher.

rosco1875
16-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Kenny Miller

YehButNoBut
16-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Kenny Miller

Off to Canada apparently, just signed for Vancouver Whitecaps

http://forum.onlyanexcuse.com/discussion/1045/kenny-miller-signs-for-vancouver-whitecaps-fc

snooky
16-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Scott Brown

:agree::agree::agree:

He took the pass from the keeper, was in a position to recieve throw ins, scored the odd goal, dangerous on the break (check out Ivan's Ibrox hat-trick), got stuck in, no fear, had a great engine, etc, etc ...... God how we miss him!
Agree that he's not half the player with Celtic. Another one lost on the road to Hell.
He should have gone on to the EPL.

Hibs On Tour
16-07-2012, 07:16 PM
The list is potentially endless of good players who have moved on from us. I took the question to be mainly of those listed and took Deano for that reason. Zemmama was great but far too inconsistent for me - Deano would run his socks off every game and [for me] was more reliable. LG was hit and miss for me, although he obviously cared. If money were no object the choices would obviously be different but in terms of realistic options I thought of those available Deano was closest.

But to be fair Pat could pick me and I'd likely improve the team from last year :greengrin

brydekirk
16-07-2012, 07:24 PM
David Murphy

Agree

heretoday
16-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Fletcher or Whittaker.

goosefat
16-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Broony was different class for hibs imo he has been turned from a skillful attacking midfielder to a midfield hardman since going to celtic

Agreed. I still think he played his best football at Hibs. Now he's the Celtic hatchet man and seems quite happy in that role. We can all kick someone and then square up to them afterwards...:yawn2:

What a waste.

easty
16-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Agreed. I still think he played his best football at Hibs. Now he's the Celtic hatchet man and seems quite happy in that role. We can all kick someone and then square up to them afterwards...:yawn2:

What a waste.

He plays the role he's asked to play. If they wanted him to be the same type of player he was at Hibs then he could easily be that again. Celtic dont need Scott Brown to run about the park doing everything, we did.

goosefat
16-07-2012, 08:34 PM
He plays the role he's asked to play. If they wanted him to be the same type of player he was at Hibs then he could easily be that again. Celtic dont need Scott Brown to run about the park doing everything, we did.

Exactly - what a waste.

IMHO he's asked to play the role of a meat head...by another meat head.