PDA

View Full Version : Joe McBride RIP (merged)

Ray_
05-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Picked up a thread on Follow Follow saying the great man was unwell, anybody heard anything?

http://forum.followfollow.com/showthread.php?t=884998

Tom Hart RIP
05-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Hope not. Saw him in Hibs end at the cup final along with young Joe.
Saw him score twice against Lisbon Lions in 2-0 win at Easter Road.
Great player.

Jonnyboy
05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Great player.

Me too and if I close my eyes I can still see him scoring the first one - magic :thumbsup:

Ray_
05-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Great player.

He was one of the most natural finishers I've seen. His first against Celtic that day was testimony to that when he swivelled around to hit a ball, not far off shoulder height, past Simpson and in to the roof of the net. He berated Arthur Duncan after he had gotten his two goals after Nijinsky blasted a ball wildly over from an acute angle, when a simple square ball would have given Joe his hat trick against his former side.

Topically, given your user name, this was Hibs first game after Tom Hart had taken over from Willie Harrower.

It shows us the esteem he is held in as every single post on follow follow wishes him well.

Jonnyboy
05-07-2012, 08:29 PM
He was one of the most natural finishers I've seen. His first against Celtic that day was testimony to that when he swivelled around to hit a ball, not far off shoulder height, past Simpson and in to the roof of the net. He berated Arthur Duncan after he had gotten his two goals after Nijinsky blasted a ball wildly over from an acute angle, when a simple square ball would have given Joe his hat trick against his former side.

Topically, given your user name, this was Hibs first game after Tom Hart had taken over from Willie Harrower.

It shows us the esteem he is held in as every single post on follow follow wishes him well.

I well remember being gutted when Colin Stein took the Queen's shilling Ray but within a couple of games I had forgotten all about him as I had a new hero :greengrin

In his first three games he scored once against der hun, three against Leipzig and four against Morton.

I hope he recovers good health and agree that he deserves to be held in high esteem :agree:

Ray_
05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
I well remember being gutted when Colin Stein took the Queen's shilling Ray but within a couple of games I had forgotten all about him as I had a new hero :greengrin

In his first three games he scored once against der hun, three against Leipzig and four against Morton.

I hope he recovers good health and agree that he deserves to be held in high esteem :agree:

I felt exactly the same as you and after the Leipzig match I never missed another Hibs game in the UK until I moved South, I used to wash cars and sell the tickets to get the cash & went straight to school after getting off the bus back from Liverpool, which sadly was the end for Joe in a Hibs shirt and Willie Mac as manager.

Jonnyboy
05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I felt exactly the same as you and after the Leipzig match I never missed another Hibs game in the UK until I moved South, I used to wash cars and sell the tickets to get the cash & went straight to school after getting off the bus back from Liverpool, which sadly was the end for Joe in a Hibs shirt and Willie Mac as manager.

Wish we still had characters like them at ER Ray :agree:

IberianHibernian
05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Great player.This was probably the first big Hibs game I saw and I still consider it the best Hibs goal I`ve seen more than 40 years later . Remember just seeing it between thousands of Hibbies and Celtic fans who were crammed into the Cave .

heretoday
05-07-2012, 08:51 PM
One of those old-fashioned strikers who didn't suffer from the vapours or "lack of confidence". He just banged them in as he was supposed to do.

I can think of others - O'Rourke, Baker, Willie Wallace, Stevie Chalmers............

O'Rourke3
05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Saw him score 3 against Malmo, thought that happened every week. Hope he's ok.

Ray_
05-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Wish we still had characters like them at ER Ray :agree:

Too true, I feel sorry for the younger generations in terms of supporting Hibs, when we started watching games it was us who dominated the derby and flair wasn't just a myth, as even out with the TT's, the exceptional players were always in the majority & weaknesses were related to two or three positions.

Jonnyboy
05-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Too true, I feel sorry for the younger generations in terms of supporting Hibs, when we started watching games it was us who dominated the derby and flair wasn't just a myth, as even out with the TT's, the exceptional players were always in the majority & weaknesses were related to two or three positions.

:agree:

Ray_
05-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Saw him score 3 against Malmo, thought that happened every week. Hope he's ok. It would have if we had played Malmo every week, even Jim Blair got a brace in that game :greengrin We won 3-2 in the first leg & to think, before the decade was out they were playing in a European Cup Final and by that time we had players like Joe Ward & Bobby Hutchison in Joe McBride's position!

Jonnyboy
05-07-2012, 09:49 PM
It would have if we had played Malmo every week, even Jim Blair got a brace in that game :greengrin We won 3-2 in the first leg & to think, before the decade was out they were playing in a European Cup Final and by that time we had players like Joe Ward & Bobby Hutchison in Joe McBride's position!

Wash your mouth out :greengrin

Ray_
05-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Wash your mouth out :greengrin

Oh, OK, Martin Henderson & Ally Scott! :na na:

Stantons Angel
05-07-2012, 09:54 PM
So sorry to hear Joe is not too well, im sure all Hibbies that remember him will wish him well.

A great player brought in to replace the idol of the fans Colin Stein, whose flair and strike rate soon made us forget about Steins trip along the M8.

A really brilliant center forward in the old fashioned mould and a true gentleman too.

A much loved young friend of mine idolised the man and will be sad to hear he is ill.

Better return the favour with a letter Sean................................

Get well soon Joe! xx

Jonnyboy
05-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Oh, OK, Martin Henderson & Ally Scott! :na na:

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggg gghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:greengrin

PS You forgot Graham Fyfe :greengrin

Waxy
05-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Joe snr a bit before my time but hope you get well soon.

Remember Joe jnr scoring two very late goals at *********** to grab a 2-2 draw from nowhere early eighties.
Felt like a victory at the time.

Ray_
05-07-2012, 10:02 PM
AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggg gghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:greengrin

PS You forgot Graham Fyfe :greengrin

I didn't forget about him unfortunately, although I've spent the last thirty odd years trying to, but he was a winger [allegedly]. He actually played terrific against us in the 1971 league cup quarter final games, which we lost both legs 3-1, another case of Rangers cheating, as it was his hapless twin that ended up at ER!

Waxy
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Joe snr a bit before my time but hope you get well soon.

Remember Joe jnr scoring two very late goals at *********** to grab a 2-2 draw from nowhere early eighties.
Felt like a victory at the time.LOL i only swapped the ty in tynie with swi

Jonnyboy
05-07-2012, 10:14 PM
I didn't forget about him unfortunately, although I've spent the last thirty odd years trying to, but he was a winger [allegedly]. He actually played terrific against us in the 1971 league cup quarter final games, which we lost both legs 3-1, another case of Rangers cheating, as it was his hapless twin that ended up at ER!

On the subject of Joe Sr. 91 games for Hibs including 3 as a sub and 58 goals - phenomenal stuff!

Check his stats http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=750

Ray_
05-07-2012, 11:08 PM
On the subject of Joe Sr. 91 games for Hibs including 3 as a sub and 58 goals - phenomenal stuff!

He was absolutely prolific, I remember him running through the Hibs defence to score what I think was the only goal of the game, at East End Park, after he had moved to Dunfermline, it was a shoo on that was going to happen, much in the same way Jimmy O'Rourke was always going to do the same with ST Johnstone.

Ray_
05-07-2012, 11:21 PM

Those last five games bring back some memories, the 0-0 game at Shawfield, we arrived at the ground late as Mrs Mac's Hawkhill bus broke down and we ran the last couple of miles to get to the game & the game at Cappielow [1-2] was the rearranged fixture after the first game was called off after 33 minutes, this was due to a downpour, with the scores 0-0 & we had, had one chalked off. The abandoned game was around September time as that mid-week before the game, Hibs were playing in the blazing heat of Portugal against Guimaraes.

hibbybrian
06-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Same here JC - great player for Hibs :hibees

One of the first away games I remember was against Motherwell in October 1963 - it was Pat Stanton's debut and Paddy scored the last goal, however Joe had already scored a hat-trick and we lost 4-3. The match report and some pics and details of the games you mention are on the link below

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/Joe%20McBride/

Ray_
06-07-2012, 07:45 AM

One of the first away games I remember was against Motherwell in October 1963 - it was Pat Stanton's debut and Paddy scored the last goal, however Joe had already scored a hat-trick and we lost 4-3. The match report and some pics and details of the games you mention are on the link below

Some great photo's and articles there, in one of the reports it mentions Hibs due in Portugal on the 30th September, so I was just barely right on that one :greengrin

Has anybody actually heard what the problem with his health is? Like everybody, I wish for a speedy recovery.

--------
06-07-2012, 02:17 PM

:agree: I remember going to school the Monday after the Rangers game (Rangers had beaten us 6-1 with Stein scoring a hat-trick, remember) and being ribbed unmercifully by the glory-hunters.

I also remember going the following Monday and some Hun trying to start it again, and being able to look at him all innocent and asking, "Colin WHO?" :devil:

Jock Stein had treated Joe with less than the respect he was due, IIRC, and when he sold him to us coming out with some comment about Joe's knees being gone and him not having many more goals in him.

So the two in the Celtic game were special - I seem to remember a celebration right in front of the Celtic bench for the second. No wonder he was wild at Arfur for wasting his chance of a hat-trick.

Great player and a very decent bloke. Really hope for better news of him soon. One of the truly great goalscorers - as heretoday says, no fits of the vapours or crises of confidence, just a "Gie's the ba', where's the net?" guy who did his stuff for every club he signed for.

Jonnyboy
06-07-2012, 08:15 PM

:agree:

In season 66/67 at ER, Celtic won 5-3 and Joe got four of them!

Tom Hart RIP
09-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Record says he has suffered six strokes. Very sad news

Ray_
09-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the update, as you said, very sad indeed, as well as a great player, if the comments on FF are anything to go by, he must be an absolute gent to have the respect of so many Rangers fans.

Stantons Angel
09-07-2012, 07:09 AM

So very sad to hear that, i hope he will recover.

God bless you Joe, the prayers of all Hibs supporters are with you now.

GGTH

hibbiedon
09-07-2012, 08:08 AM
I was told that Kevin McBride was the great mans grandson if this is true is it the first time that three consecutive generations have played for us

IWasThere2016
11-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Just got a text to say he's passed away

RIP

Jonnyboy
11-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Just got a text to say he's passed away

RIP

Very sad news indeed. Joe was a super player and had a great goalscoring record wherever he played. Scored one of my all time favourite Hibs goals against Celtic at ER

RIP Joe

matty_f
11-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Really sad news, r.i.p.

FranckSuzy
11-07-2012, 10:30 PM
There's some team upstairs now. RIP Joe.

oldbutdim
11-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Very sad news indeed. Joe was a super player and had a great goalscoring record wherever he played. Scored one of my all time favourite Hibs goals against Celtic at ER

RIP Joe

Met it on the volley?

He was supposed to be 'past it' when he joined Hibs, but I think was top scorer for a couple of seasons?

Stylish and classy player even at 'the tail end of his career'.

RIP Joe

Jonnyboy
11-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Met it on the volley?

He was supposed to be 'past it' when he joined Hibs, but I think was top scorer for a couple of seasons?

Stylish and classy player even at 'the tail end of his career'.

RIP Joe

That's the one. Superb skill and execution :agree:

Joe's record at Hibs was immense - 58 goals in 88 starts (8 in his first three games!)

Helped me forget Colin Stein very quickly :greengrin

Stantons Angel
11-07-2012, 10:59 PM
So very sad to hear of Joe's passing. One of the finest players to wear the real green and white shirt.

A lovely man who had time for everyone, a true gentleman who never tried to be anything other than true to himself and the jersey he wore.

Not many can say that.

Thanks for the many happy memories you have left me with.

A bit competition now for the "Baker Boy" in God's chosen eleven.

Rest in peace Joe.

xxx

DoonTheSlope
11-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Very sad news

stu in nottingham
11-07-2012, 11:18 PM
So sad to hear this news.

Joe was the real thing - he was fantastic for Hibs and a nice human being. We may never see his like again.

God bless Joseph, you leave people with only happy memories, sleep peacefully.

http://nfs.stvfiles.com/imagebase/129/605x339/129688-joe-mcbride-former-celtic-and-hibernian-striker.jpg

The Harp
11-07-2012, 11:45 PM
So very sad to learn of Joe's passing. Undoubtedly one of my favourite old time players who gave 100% for all the clubs he played for.
When he signed for us in '68 a lot of people in the game might thought that his better days were behind him (Jock Stein included). He repaid Hibs faith in him by becoming our top scorer for the next two seasons - having previously achieved the same feat in 3 seasons at Motherwell and also Celtic.
God Bless you Joe and thanks for some wonderful memories.
Condolences to Joe's family and friends.

RIP

--------
12-07-2012, 12:02 AM
So sad to hear this news.

Joe was the real thing - he was fantastic for Hibs and a nice human being. We may never see his like again.

God bless Joseph, you leave people with only happy memories, sleep peacefully.

http://nfs.stvfiles.com/imagebase/129/605x339/129688-joe-mcbride-former-celtic-and-hibernian-striker.jpg

:agree: Very sad news. An exceptional player and a very fine gentleman.

soupy
12-07-2012, 05:17 AM
RIP Mr Mcbride.......

hibbybrian
12-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Sad news indeed; I agree with all the accolades above. RIP Joe

For anyone who didn't read the earlier thread, here's some pictures and details of Joe's time at Hibs

BigKev
12-07-2012, 06:05 AM
Never saw him in the flesh but a favourite of my Dad's.

RIP Joe

Berwickhibby
12-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Very very sad news indeed, Rest In Peace Joe GGTTH

PeeJay
12-07-2012, 06:09 AM
For anyone who didn't read the earlier thread, here's some pictures and details of Joe's time at Hibs

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/Joe McBride/

Some excellent photos in there!

Always sad to hear when a former Hibbies passes away - I feel Johnnyboy is spot on too in saying McBride made all the Hibs fans forget Stein's departure - a prolific goalscorer - lots of good memories of his time with us.

hibbiedon
12-07-2012, 06:39 AM
R.I.P. Joe, thanks for the memories

Septimus
12-07-2012, 06:43 AM
He was known in our house as "lovely Joe McBride". My wife would say to me when I ghot home from matches "how many did lovely Joe Mcbride score today?" A great player. Thanks for the memories Joe.

hibby al
12-07-2012, 07:08 AM
rip joe. i remember the last time i saw him play away to clyde at the lovely
shawfield stadium i think he scored both goals for clyde in a 2-1 defeat for
hibs ,remember thinking he looked overweight and think he had a strapping
on his thigh still 2 poachers goals class . bye joe

Seveno
12-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Very sad news. A great player and a great man has left us.

I can well remember the devastation I felt when Colin Stein was sold to Rangers. That feeling was instantly dispelled when Joe played his first match for us and I realised that we had twice the player.

Rest in peace, Joe.

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
RIP Joe, I was privileged to see you play and your two goals against Celtic still stick out in my memory, I will never forget that day pal and many others, you truly blessed the Hibernian jersey.

:not worth

blackpoolhibs
12-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Very sad news, as others have said a fantastic finisher, and a lovely bloke. RIP Joe. :not worth

Hiber-nation
12-07-2012, 08:29 AM
RIP Joe, what a striker.

ginger_rice
12-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Aye sad news indeed. RIP Joe.:not worth

Pretty Boy
12-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Not old enough to remeber Joe play but always sad to hear of the passing of someone who has contributed in such a positive way to the history of both Hibs and Scottish football.

RIP.

PatHead
12-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Apart from him being a great player (everywhere, not only Hibs) met him a few times after he retired and he was a really nice bloke. RIP and prayers for his family.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2012, 12:22 PM
It's always sad when a legend exits the stage. RIP Joe :flag:

iwasthere1972
12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Sad news. A player I had the great priviledge of watching. A true goal scorer.

Thanks for the memories Joe.

R.I.P.

Ray_
12-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Sad news. A player I had the great priviledge of watching. A true goal scorer.

Thanks for the memories Joe.

R.I.P.

God Bless you Joe & R.I.P. Thanks for the memories & condolences to family and friends.

Stevie Reid
12-07-2012, 02:11 PM
One of my earliest memories of a Hibs game was seeing Joe Junior curling in a peach of a free kick to give us a 1-0 lead over the Jambos at HT at Tynie - game finished 1 each I think (TV highlights, I wasn't there).

RIP Joe Snr

Hibiza
12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
R.i. P

Lucius Apuleius
12-07-2012, 03:35 PM
RIP Joe and condolences to all who knew him.

R'Albin
12-07-2012, 04:13 PM
It's a shame I never did and probably never will witness a player of his quality playing for the green again.

R.I.P Joe

blindsummit
12-07-2012, 04:51 PM
R.I.P. Joe. my favourite player when I was a kid and I started going to matches during the period he was with us. Makes me feel very sad and reflective on hearing this news.

ripvanwinkle
12-07-2012, 05:12 PM
R.I.P. Joe McBride.
I don't think I saw a more natural goal scorer besides Joe Baker.
A great player for all the clubs he played for. Remember him with Motherwell and scoring 4? against us when was with Celtic at ER, and of course the many he scored for us.
Passing of a great Scottish player.

blindsummit
12-07-2012, 07:06 PM
The sad news about joe has got me thinking about my first ever Hibs game, and it's so far back in the mists of time, that I'm hoping another old timer like me, or a statto, can help me with some details.

It was a midweek game at ER against Rangers. It was Colin Stein's first game back at ER since signing for the forces of evil. I remember that very well as a friend of my Dad was one of Lothian & Border's finest and he took me down to the tunnel to meet all the players. Colin Stein jokingly commented on my Joe McBride rosette (those were the days), and I joked back that Joe would score two goals for every one of his!

Hibs won 3 - 2. I started high up on the old east terrace which seemed enormous to a wee 6 or 7 year old, but ended up down at the fron alongside some Rangers supporting kids of my age. No hassle just excited banter (those were also the days). it was a rip roaring game and I went home high as a kite from the win and couldn't have hoped for a better first game ever.

So, does anyone have a clue what the date of that match might have been, and who the scorers were? I have scoured google but can't seem to pin it down.

hibbybrian
12-07-2012, 07:49 PM
The first game at ER against Rangers after Joe signed was a 1-2 defeat on 5th March 1969 when Jimmy O'Rourke scored for Hibs

next was a 2-2 draw on 28th February 1970 with Johnny Graham & Joe scoring

next was a 1-3 defeat in the League Cup quarter final on 9th September 1970 with Arthur getting our goal

then a 3-2 win on 25th November 1970 but Johnny Graham and Jim Blair (2) were the scorers

Atalanta
12-07-2012, 09:57 PM
My first Hibs game was against Celtic in 1970. Hibs won 2-0 and Joe McBride scored both goals.

Legend.

EdinMike
12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Only being a pup never saw him play myself. Although my Old man was clearly aggrieved when I told him the news over the phone earlier today.

RIP Joe :not worth

lapsedhibee
13-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Obit in today's i - all about Celtc, and Hibs not mentioned at all, but nice accompanying pic of him in a Hibs shirt at ER.

Ray_
13-07-2012, 05:14 PM
The sad news about joe has got me thinking about my first ever Hibs game, and it's so far back in the mists of time, that I'm hoping another old timer like me, or a statto, can help me with some details.

It was a midweek game at ER against Rangers. It was Colin Stein's first game back at ER since signing for the forces of evil. I remember that very well as a friend of my Dad was one of Lothian & Border's finest and he took me down to the tunnel to meet all the players. Colin Stein jokingly commented on my Joe McBride rosette (those were the days), and I joked back that Joe would score two goals for every one of his!

Hibs won 3 - 2. I started high up on the old east terrace which seemed enormous to a wee 6 or 7 year old, but ended up down at the fron alongside some Rangers supporting kids of my age. No hassle just excited banter (those were also the days). it was a rip roaring game and I went home high as a kite from the win and couldn't have hoped for a better first game ever.

So, does anyone have a clue what the date of that match might have been, and who the scorers were? I have scoured google but can't seem to pin it down.

Brian gave the scorers and date, from what I remember, the game was played in a right pea-souper, Pat Stanton cracked one off the bar from near the half way line and I'm sure Willie Johnson was sent off.

blindsummit
13-07-2012, 06:10 PM
The first game at ER against Rangers after Joe signed was a 1-2 defeat on 5th March 1969 when Jimmy O'Rourke scored for Hibs

next was a 2-2 draw on 28th February 1970 with Johnny Graham & Joe scoring

next was a 1-3 defeat in the League Cup quarter final on 9th September 1970 with Arthur getting our goal

then a 3-2 win on 25th November 1970 but Johnny Graham and Jim Blair (2) were the scorers

Many thanks Brian I appreciate the info. I was a little older than I remember at 7 years old. I always seemed to remember it as I was 6. I was a little late getting to my first game as believe it or not my Dad is a rangers fan and my older brother was a Hearts fan. How I escaped such terrible emotional scarring and abuse and came to the light I do not remember!

ozzie
28-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Did they forget about the minutes silence for Joe mcbride ant today?

Twiglet
28-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Did they forget about the minutes silence for Joe mcbride ant today?

They did. I realised at half time when I was talking to folk about the East Fife match.

Iggy Pope
29-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Well, does anyone know what happened to the planned one minute silence for the great man yesterday?

I was in the stadium well before the teams took the field and unless they held it pretty early I think it mst have been overlooked?

Made specific reference to having one in the programme.......

Purple & Green
29-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Brian gave the scorers and date, from what I remember, the game was played in a right pea-souper, Pat Stanton cracked one off the bar from near the half way line and I'm sure Willie Johnson was sent off.

You're right - match report on page 6

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19701126&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

brog
30-07-2012, 08:06 AM

That was Jim Blair's only major contribution in his time at Hibs, 2 goals & he got WJ sent off, great game!!