PDA

View Full Version : Greggs James McFadden (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

Hibbyradge
27-06-2012, 12:16 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/108035-motherwell-confirm-james-mcfadden-will-join-club-for-pre-season-training/

cocopops1875
27-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Oh dinnie radge the bedwetters will need to stock up on sheets

Future17
27-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Oh dinnie radge the bedwetters will need to stock up on sheets

Hibs are NEVER going to be able to sign players from bigger clubs...bigger wages in League 2 in England...our league's mince...Petrie's too tight...:blah:

Andy74
27-06-2012, 12:50 PM
I think this says more about McFadden's career than anyhting else.

I think Levein was right about him when he didn't try his erse because he was played in a position he didn't want to play in. Injuries that none of the medical staff could ever find as well.

Not for us just now in our position.

Happy to change all that if we happen to end up moving for him. :greengrin

ian cruise
27-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I dont view that as any different to us getting oconnor last year. Class player on his day but never consistent enough to warrant interest from bigger clubs at the minute. Signing for club he has emotional ties to to enjoy his football bnd put himself in shop window. CL football for two games too.

erin go bragh
27-06-2012, 04:02 PM

I think Levein :shocked:was right about him when he didn't try his erse because he was played in a position he didn't want to play in. Injuries that none of the medical staff could ever find as well.

That man has never been right about anything.

ggtth

essexhibee
27-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Levein is a fanny of the highest order. We would have been it at the Euro's had we not had him in charge. Big statement I know but I think so...

justlikebrazil
27-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Levein is a fanny of the highest order. We would have been it at the Euro's had we not had him in charge. Big statement I know but I think so...
Your bang on about Levein never a Scotland manager. Ive gave up on Scotland untill he gets the bullit :na na:

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2012, 10:24 PM

I think Levein was right about him when he didn't try his erse because he was played in a position he didn't want to play in. Injuries that none of the medical staff could ever find as well.

McFadden anywhere near his best is still better than we can afford, i have no idea if he's fit after his injuries, but we take chances every season on players who look like they have never played football, never mind an international player.

He is quality when fit, i'd prefer we had him in for pre season training rather than Motherwell.

leither17
27-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Seen him play against man utd at old trafford in the 4-4 jelavic game and he more than held his own there I thought would stroll the spl

California-Hibs
27-06-2012, 10:43 PM
People are kidding themselfs on if they think that Mcfadden will not be a superb short-term signing for Motherwell! I've watched Mcfadden have too many good games for clubs and country to think otherwise. The boy is a wonderful talent for sure. :agree:

ScottB
27-06-2012, 10:46 PM
He's gone back to his boyhood club who have Champions League football this season. Anyone getting ready for a moan that we aren't in for him would be wasting their breath. Just like O'Connor wouldn't have turned up anywhere else last summer, McFadden isn't going to turn up anywhere in Scotland but Motherwell.

givescotlandfreedom
28-06-2012, 01:37 AM
If he puts a bit effort in he'd be a great signing for them. Whether he signs or not is another matter, especially with Motherwell mooting severe financial problems.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Getting himself match fit in surroundings that he knows well and will be ready to join a Championship club when they come calling. When this happens during the season when there are plenty of stories flying around, it is usually two or three sentences about being offered training facilities.

HH81
28-06-2012, 07:12 AM
I can't say i have heard about him much in the last few years, has he even played much recently :confused:

PJ IronHIbee
28-06-2012, 08:42 AM
It wont happen, but id love us to make a move for mcfadden. He would do some damage in the spl even if half fit!

down-the-slope
28-06-2012, 09:35 AM
:rolleyes: so if I say i'm visiting EM...then that means Hibs have signed me...:na na:

He is 'joining for pre-season training' with nothing of subsatnce to say anymore than that... Probably been told by his agent that he nedds to get somewhere near match fit before he can hawk him round the championship...

Billychaotic182
28-06-2012, 09:47 AM
I can't tell if it's sour grapes or what but people on here that think that McFadden is not a good singing for an spl club are nuts! He is a class player and if it was hibs who were to signing him we would all be delighted

JimBHibees
28-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Sounds very much like his agent keeping him in the news for teams down south to be aware of him and also that he is keeping fit. Would think the only way that Well will get him is if no other viable team is in.

Got to be said though as a crowd pleaser he would be a great signing given his ability.

--------
28-06-2012, 03:59 PM
McFadden anywhere near his best is still better than we can afford, i have no idea if he's fit after his injuries, but we take chances every season on players who look like they have never played football, never mind an international player.

He is quality when fit, i'd prefer we had him in for pre season training rather than Motherwell.

Sounds very much like his agent keeping him in the news for teams down south to be aware of him and also that he is keeping fit. Would think the only way that Well will get him is if no other viable team is in.

Got to be said though as a crowd pleaser he would be a great signing given his ability.

:agree: When you think of some fo the 'players' we've signed over the past few years ...

Wouldn't have cost anything to have offered him training facilities at East Mains.

Mind you - he's over 30, he's never been a 'work-rate' player, and what we really need are eleven earnest if somewhat untalented 'triers' ...

I mean, when do you ever hear of an old guy dominating a game by just using space and passing the ball? :devil:

JimBHibees
28-06-2012, 04:01 PM
:agree: When you think of some fo the 'players' we've signed over the past few years ...

Wouldn't have cost anything to have offered him training facilities at East Mains.

Mind you - he's over 30, he's never been a 'work-rate' player, and what we really need are eleven earnest if somewhat untalented 'triers' ...

I mean, when do you ever hear of an old guy dominating a game by just using space and passing the ball? :devil:

It would never catch on. :greengrin

--------
28-06-2012, 05:23 PM
It would never catch on. :greengrin

It's football, Jim, but not as we know it. :devil:

MyJo
29-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Reported today that Motherwell don't have enough dosh to offer him a deal. Would be a good signing for us even on a 1 year deal if we can get in there

Iceman1875
29-06-2012, 09:05 AM
McFadden was surely on £20k at everton/Birmingham.... He's never going to come to us for a tenth of that when he will get offers from championship sides offering 10-12k a week IMO. Train/pre season at Motherwell for 4 weeks then move on...

Andy74
30-06-2012, 09:11 AM
McFadden was surely on £20k at everton/Birmingham.... He's never going to come to us for a tenth of that when he will get offers from championship sides offering 10-12k a week IMO. Train/pre season at Motherwell for 4 weeks then move on...

Where are those offers now? His current wage is zero.

Judas Iscariot
30-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Where are those offers now? His current wage is zero.

Similar to when we signed Stokes, Miller etc..

They were or had been on decent money..

The Hurricane
11-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted but just been informed by a source inside the club that he is currently training at east mains.

He had been training at his old club Motherwell but has chosen not to go on on their pre-champions league qualifier tour in europe and is now training with Hibs.

Pretty Boy
11-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Lock him in with no bread and water until he signs.

Would piss all over the SPL.

MyJo
11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Get him signed if he can prove his fitness : agree:

Cocaine&Caviar
11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Ultimate sign of intent, but no chance whatsoever.

Billy Whizz
11-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Now that would be a "marque" signing and would add a few thousand season ticket holders

andrew70
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Now that would be a "marque" signing and would add a few thousand season ticket holders

Without doubt it's a "marquee" signing however I don't believe it would add a few thousand st holders. I worry that the current malaise that surrounds Hibs and the SPL has lost several ST holders and we will struggle to get them back no matter what the club do.

Mon Dieu4
11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
This would be our most exciting signing since god knows when

Stevie Reid
11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Without doubt it's a "marquee" signing however I don't believe it would add a few thousand st holders. I worry that the current malaise that surrounds Hibs and the SPL has lost several ST holders and we will struggle to get them back no matter what the club do.

If we somehow managed to get McFadden on any sort of deal and people didn't get excited about it, we might as well give up now.

Monts
11-07-2012, 12:38 PM
If we somehow managed to get McFadden on any sort of deal and people didn't get excited about it, we might as well give up now.

I dont want to put a dampner on anything, because I would be delighted if he did sign, however he has only played 7 games in the last 12 months.

CallumLaidlaw
11-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I dont want to put a dampner on anything, because I would be delighted if he did sign, however he has only played 7 games in the last 12 months.

What had McPake played before he signed for us?

Mon Dieu4
11-07-2012, 12:39 PM

About the same as Hibs then

Hibercelona
11-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Why not? :confused:

Overall, we're a bigger club than Motherwell and should be capable of offering a better wage package.

He may just be borrowing our facilities, but it may be a sneaky wee tactic from Pat to show him what facilities are available to him with Hibs.

He'll never be able to resist the XBOX's, PS3's and 50+ inch telly's in the training centre lounge. :wink:

Andy74

Is there a line of clubs at a higher level looking to sign him?

He's done nowt for a few years now.

Monts
What had McPake played before he signed for us?

6 games for coventry last season before joining us. 13 games the season before.

Stevie Reid
11-07-2012, 12:46 PM

I'm not worried about that, the bigger dampner is that I still think he's highly unlikely to sign for us. But if he is training with us, any chance that we had is has increased ever so slightly.

cwilliamson85
11-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Would we not be able to offer him a 12month contract to give him a chance to get some game time and then can find another club in January to leave at the end of the season?

hibee92
11-07-2012, 12:52 PM

:greengrin

Billychaotic182
11-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Is it confirmed that he is training with us???

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2012, 12:54 PM
This is exciting news. :flag:

Pretty Boy
11-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Is there a line of clubs at a higher level looking to sign him?

He's done nowt for a few years now.

I'm sure Celtic made him some kind of offer in January but he opted for Everton.

He did say in an interview quite recently that he'd consider 'anybody' so I'm not totally dismissing it as a possibilty. Realistically though if Celtic or a top half Championship club are interested its likely he'd opt for them.

--------
11-07-2012, 12:55 PM

The problem is that it's not just that we had a horrible season last year, and that the relief of escaping relegation was immediately dissipated by THAT GAME - those are things that Hibs themselves can deal with.

The whole situation's made infinitely worse by the "Newco" business and all the baggage accompanying it.

That's what's leaving a lot of people uncertain about whether to renew season tickets or evn come along to pay at the gate next season.

But IF Faddy's FIT, and IF he wants to play for us, and IF Pat decides he's a player he wants ... :drool:

cocopops1875
11-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Name 7 I dare you :-)

Sweep
11-07-2012, 01:21 PM
This would be our most exciting signing since god knows when

Would be excellent. :agree: PETRIE sign him up.

Leishy1995
11-07-2012, 01:26 PM
I'll faint if this happens.

Holmesdale Hibs
11-07-2012, 01:28 PM
If he's training with us then there is a good chance we can afford him. His agent must have at least discussed this before he agreed to a trial. Would anyone here go to a week-long job interview without some knowledge of what the salary was?

I've not seen him play for a while but agree that, if fit, he would excite the fans and increase ST sales. Would be great to see him playing for us next year.

Hibercelona
11-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Surely if Hearts can get Craig Beattie playing for them, we can get McFaddy? :confused:

We should never consider decent talents to be beyond our reach. I don't think he's beyond us at all and think we'd be a great option for getting him match fit again.

Hank Schrader
11-07-2012, 01:37 PM
I reckon the chances of him signing are somewhere between slim and none.

Would be a superb acquisition but don't see it happening.

lyonhibs
11-07-2012, 01:40 PM
If he's training with us then there is a good chance we can afford him. His agent must have at least discussed this before he agreed to a trial. Would anyone here go to a week-long job interview without some knowledge of what the salary was?

I've not seen him play for a while but agree that, if fit, he would excite the fans and increase ST sales. Would be great to see him playing for us next year.

I don't know if I'd call it a week long "job interview" as such, but on the other side of that coin, I imagine if J McF had sauntered into the Tache's office and asked to use EM but that there's nae chance of him signing for us whatsoever, then The Tache would have clicked his heels together 3 times and J McF would be no more.

Intriguing. Would pish my pants if we signed him, but honestly can't see it. I've been wrong before mind.

EH6 Hibby
11-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a week long "job interview" as such, but on the other side of that coin, I imagine if J McF had sauntered into the Tache's office and asked to use EM but that there's nae chance of him signing for us whatsoever, then The Tache would have clicked his heels together 3 times and J McF would be no more.

Intriguing. Would pish my pants if we signed him, but honestly can't see it. I've been wrong before mind.

:agree:

I believe The Tache has a trapdoor installed in his office for such matters.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Can anyone confirm this or is the op dreaming

Stevie Reid
11-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Surely if Hearts can get Craig Beattie playing for them, we can get McFaddy? :confused:

We should never consider decent talents to be beyond our reach. I don't think he's beyond us at all and think we'd be a great option for getting him match fit again.

McFadden is in a different class to Beattie.

And Hearts have signed bigger players than Beattie in the past.

--------
11-07-2012, 01:56 PM

I'd think it would also be about PF seeing the player on a day-to-day basis, assessing how well he copes with a full week's training, assessing recovery times and his ability to mix in with the other players.

McFadden needs training facilities, we need players, and maybe if he enjoys working at EM and PF feels he's a player we can use ...

Aldo
11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I like JM but say we sign Deano then do we need JM... Also we could do with a Beattie type player. Or do we just sign all 3 (or us that being greedy)

O will get ma head out the clouds.

HH81
11-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Why is no one offering to sit in a bath of beans if this happens :confused:

Leishy1995
11-07-2012, 02:02 PM
I'll go to Florida tomorrow if he isn't signed by tonight.

HoboHarry
11-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Why is no one offering to sit in a bath of beans if this happens :confused:

I will if you can arrange Katherine Heigl to join me in there......

jdships
11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Re J McF.
I understand from ' a reliable source' at East Mains the talk is of a ' Pay as you play ' deal being discussed for a six month stint and then a possible contract .
' Don't shoot the piano player he is doing his best ' !!!!!!!!

jdships
11-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Is she ' Hibs class' ?

HoboHarry
11-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Is she ' Hibs class' ?
Who cares? I would let her in with me even if she was a Jambo...

Macaroon
11-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Every bloody year with the crazy rumours that get my hopes up. Would obviously be delighted if this happened but just cannot see it.

ScottB
11-07-2012, 02:31 PM

:thumbsup:

jdships
11-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Oh come on !
Y've nae finesse Harry boy :greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

goosefat
11-07-2012, 03:11 PM
McFadden is in a different class to Beattie.

And Hearts have signed bigger players than Beattie in the past.

Does paying all your players with Lithuanian Monopoly money really count though?

:brokenyam:

Billychaotic182
11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
So no one can confirm this then?

Aldo
11-07-2012, 03:22 PM
So no one can confirm this then?

I can confirm I don't know . Sorry 😁

Hermit Crab
11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Even if he is training with us it is only training, more than likely to get his fitness up to scratch. Probably nothing in this.

Pretty Boy
11-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Reading on a Motherwell forum he didn't/isn't going to Portugal with the rest of the sqaud so might well be something in this.

As said above probably just training but you never know.

1two
11-07-2012, 03:38 PM
He can wave goodbye to being included for scotland in any future games if he signs for us!

Pretty Boy
11-07-2012, 03:39 PM
He can wave goodbye to being included for scotland in any future games if he signs for us!

Was he not frozen out anyway after having a go at Levein for blaming him for the Lichenstein debacle?

R'Albin
11-07-2012, 03:41 PM
McFadden has been linked with The Sheep and 'Well on 6month pay as you play deals. I don't know what relevance that has but thought I'd mention it anyway!

dchibs
11-07-2012, 03:43 PM

No such thing as a good looking Jambo.

lyonhibs
11-07-2012, 04:01 PM
McFadden has been linked with The Sheep and 'Well on 6month pay as you play deals. I don't know what relevance that has but thought I'd mention it anyway!

Entirely not linked to this conversation at all, but in your video there's football of Stack playing for Hibs against Barca in a stadium that clearly isn't Murrayfield, or indeed anywhere on British soil.

Do my eyes deceive me, and if not, what game was it?

LancsHibs
11-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Katherine Heigl...... Never heard of her before so just googled her, never seen any of her films but what a babe:drool:

BTW McFadden would be a great signing:thumbsup:

Ross4356
11-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Alan Temple ‏@alanftemple
Not worth an article in own right, but; RE: McFadden to Hibs rumour. He's still training with Motherwell, not at East Mains. Nothing doing.

cocopops1875
11-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Entirely not linked to this conversation at all, but in your video there's football of Stack playing for Hibs against Barca in a stadium that clearly isn't Murrayfield, or indeed anywhere on British soil.

Maribour i suspect sir :agree:

DanHFC1875
11-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Alan Temple ‏@alanftemple
Not worth an article in own right, but; RE: McFadden to Hibs rumour. He's still training with Motherwell, not at East Mains. Nothing doing.

I want the truth!!!!!!!!

ancient hibee
11-07-2012, 05:26 PM
I want the truth!!!!!!!!

You want the truth-the truth is you can't take the truth-courtesy Jack Nicholson.Ho hum.

HibbyAndy
11-07-2012, 05:28 PM
You want the truth-the truth is you can't take the truth-courtesy Jack Nicholson.Ho hum.

You cant handle the truth:wink:

ancient hibee
11-07-2012, 05:30 PM
You cant handle the truth:wink:

Didn't think I was quite right.

S4uzee
11-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Nonsense rumour I believe, nothing online or anything

DanHFC1875
11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Didn't think I was quite right.

I think the transfer specualtion is now "A CODE RED" but we still need "A FEW GOOD MEN"

;)

CRAZYHIBBY
11-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Ryan giggs now training at east mains according to my source

Mark79
11-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Is Jose Antonio Reyes still training with us? There was another boy called cruyff too????

007 Mickey Weir
11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
McFadden definitely at East Mains today training. Mate saw him in all the Hibs training gear while he was there. So rumour is true. Could be interesting.

HoboHarry
11-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Is Jose Antonio Reyes still training with us? There was another boy called cruyff too????
Your just telling fibs, I can tell. The reason I know is because me and Jose Antonio Reyes were eating kebabs and drinking Buckfast last night and he told me he was signing for the Newco on a contract of $23.50 per week. (Sorry don't have a pound sign)

Mark79
11-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Your just telling fibs, I can tell. The reason I know is because me and Jose Antonio Reyes were eating kebabs and drinking Buckfast last night and he told me he was signing for the Newco on a contract of $23.50 per week. (Sorry don't have a pound sign)

Where did they get £23.50????? Now your telling fibs.

HoboHarry
11-07-2012, 07:47 PM
That sir is a scurrilous allegation...my source is the man himself, not a taxi driver who was giving my mates mom a lift to Asda and let a secret out.... :wink:

Aldo
11-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Saved up Barrs bru bottles from ally's office 😃

ScottB
11-07-2012, 08:12 PM

I thought we'd passed on him in favour of Hernan Crespo?

R'Albin
11-07-2012, 08:27 PM

Maribor. He actually had a poor game that day if I recall.

Leishy1995
11-07-2012, 09:12 PM
I'll sit in a bathtub of warm water if this happens.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I'll sit in a bathtub of warm water if this happens.

I'll join you. In your bathtub. Regardless of whether he signs or not.

lyonhibs
11-07-2012, 09:30 PM

Poor effort. I scrolled down expecting a standard reference to "tearing the heid aff it" if McFadden signs :greengrin

Leishy1995
11-07-2012, 09:49 PM

This is a family board...

Pedantic_Hibee
11-07-2012, 10:02 PM
One of the more polite rejections I have had recently to be fair.

sahib
11-07-2012, 10:13 PM
These signings sometimes come off but he has been dogged with injuries and before anyone mentions McPake, let's wait and see how much of the season he manages. Still talented crock or fit journeyman? The former may offer some entertainment I suppose.

The Green Goblin
11-07-2012, 10:16 PM

I believe The Tache has a trapdoor installed in his office for such matters.

It leads down a shiny metal chute to a large tank full of sharks....

It seems McFadden is a bit desperate and just wants to play. If fitness is the issue for him personally, I would have thought that being able to go to somewhere like East Mains regularly to train and achieve that would be very appealling to him. But then, what do I know?

I hope he signs - would suit both parties.

steakbake
11-07-2012, 10:20 PM
This is a family board...

Never knew Petrie and Farmer were related?

CRAZYHIBBY
11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
I plan to strap a secret camera to a carrier pigeon and send him to east mains...once I get him off the ground ill let you know the results

Pedantic_Hibee
11-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Is it too early to start my bi-annual transfer deadline day thread for 31st August?

steakbake
11-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Is it too early to start my bi-annual transfer deadline day thread for 31st August?

Will the window slam shut this year, or creak slowly to a close?

BroxburnHibee
11-07-2012, 11:04 PM

stokesmessiah
11-07-2012, 11:14 PM

Looking forward to it already !!

McIntosh
11-07-2012, 11:16 PM
McFadden was not at East Mains on Wednesday morning, he may well have been there in the afternoon but he was not training. Regardless of this, Hibs are by all accounts interested in him. The following is my own opinion, if a deal was in the air I expect it to be on similar conditions to Gary O'Connor.

sleeping giant
11-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Does anyone else sift through this thread and raise their eyebrows? Sniff?

Delboy4
11-07-2012, 11:45 PM
The signing of JM could happen as he is very good friends with Micky Weir as Micky spotted him all those years ago when he played for the boys brigade, MW was playing & scouting for Motherwell at the time.

I worked under MW and Keith Wright at Cowdenbeath when they managed the team and he told me that JM always kept in touch when he played down south for Everton, so MAYBE Micky has pulled a few strings and brought us and JM together..!

Just a stab in the dark guys...

Here's hoping as he could contribute to the team if fit.

GGTTH

Graham Law
12-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Re J McF.
I understand from ' a reliable source' at East Mains the talk is of a ' Pay as you play ' deal being discussed for a six month stint and then a possible contract .
' Don't shoot the piano player he is doing his best ' !!!!!!!!

jdships you are the biggest blether ever on this site ........ "reliable source" ... Honestly I crack up everytime I read your posts....

Hibernian88
12-07-2012, 12:18 AM

Hibs, along with most other SPL clubs, would have to lower season ticket prices before expecting a rise in season ticket holders. I'm sure Blackburn & West Brom were charging less than Hibs for season tickets, and look at their players... I know EPL get much more TV money, but in our case, it just isn't worth £20+ to watch players like Lewis Stevenson every week.

Hibernian88
12-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Maribor. He actually had a poor game that day if I recall.

I was about to only comment with "You worded it as if he was a good keeper."

Then I realised you actually did think he was.

Why are you conveniently forgetting the countless major errors he had!? It became a common occurrence of me hearing people say "He'll pick himself up for the next game, just a one off." Unfortunately the one off turned into an expectancy.

Leishy1995
12-07-2012, 12:52 AM
One of the more polite rejections I have had recently to be fair.

I wouldn't reject you but I mean. I swing one way

Leishy1995
12-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Never knew Petrie and Farmer were related?

Insert troll face

R'Albin
12-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I was about to only comment with "You worded it as if he was a good keeper."

Then I realised you actually did think he was.

Why are you conveniently forgetting the countless major errors he had!? It became a common occurrence of me hearing people say "He'll pick himself up for the next game, just a one off." Unfortunately the one off turned into an expectancy.

Apart from a few games in the middle of the season, I don't recall him making many errors, never mind 'countless major errors'. At the first half of this season there were games where he stopped it from being an absolute thumping with some magnificent saves.

I really don't know what you expect from a keeper at this level. What better keepers were there in the SPL last year?

R'Albin
12-07-2012, 08:39 AM

It's quite sad but I've been looking forward to deadline day just for that thread again :tee hee:

Macaroon
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
It's quite sad but I've been looking forward to deadline day just for that thread again :tee hee:

Amen, still have the last one in my bookmarks :top marks :hilarious

AlbertK86
12-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Apart from a few games in the middle of the season, I don't recall him making many errors, never mind 'countless major errors'. At the first half of this season there were games where he stopped it from being an absolute thumping with some magnificent saves.

I really don't know what you expect from a keeper at this level. What better keepers were there in the SPL last year?

All eleven..... Who was worse ???

Was to blame for at least half our goals against.

Refusal to come off line for high or low crosses was Sussed by every team

Great shot stopper but glad we are rid

Fifer
12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
With Mark Kerr, Alan Maybury and James Mcfadden all training with us at the moment.
Are we just a training centre to get players fitness up.

Pretty Boy
12-07-2012, 07:54 PM
With Mark Kerr, Alan Maybury and James Mcfadden all training with us at the moment.

Not a bad thing imo.

Get the players into the club, showcase the facilities, let them feel comfortable and then if we want to offer them a deal we've already done a lot of the work. If it doesn't work out we let them go and haven't lost anything.

blackpoolhibs
12-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Or lose them for nothing to PSG

Tha Cabbage Kid
12-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Not a bad thing imo.

Get the players into the club, showcase the facilities, let them feel comfortable and then if we want to offer them a deal we've already done a lot of the work. If it doesn't work out we let them go and haven't lost anything.

aye but atleast showcase it to some decent players. excluding Faddy ofcourse.

Jonnyboy
12-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Or lose them for nothing to PSG

They've got a transfer embargo though????

PSG = Proddy Sevco Gadgies eh? :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
12-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Do we even know if McFadden is a definite?

CropleyWasGod
12-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Do we even know if McFadden is a definite?

I think he swings. :greengrin

scoopyboy
12-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Hibs don't let players use the facilities so players can get their fitness up, it's done with a view to assessing whether we want to sign them.

Several players have requested training facilities but have been refused.

CallumLaidlaw
12-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Hibs don't let players use the facilities so players can get their fitness up, it's done with a view to assessing whether we want to sign them.

Several players have requested training facilities but have been refused.

Is Faddy definitely training with us?

007 Mickey Weir
12-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Yes!!!

The Hurricane
12-07-2012, 09:05 PM
As I posted originally YES

Niffy
12-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Oooooo have we got a video.

(one for the auld heids)

CRAZYHIBBY
12-07-2012, 09:24 PM
from what ive heard from 2 motherwell fans , faddy is still training with motherwell and was having his photo taken by the press yesterday......its also mentioned on their fansite.........someone somewhere is talking *****...........has any one actually seen him at east mains??

scoopyboy
12-07-2012, 09:26 PM

No is what I've been told.

The Hurricane
12-07-2012, 09:33 PM
My man is normally on the ball so will wait and see

lucky
12-07-2012, 09:51 PM
McFadden is signing for Bristol City

blackpoolhibs
12-07-2012, 09:53 PM
They've got a transfer embargo though????

PSG = Proddy Sevco Gadgies eh? :greengrin

Billy Whizz
13-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Let's get him in the squad for tomorrow's friendly!

scoopyboy
13-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Let's get him in the squad for tomorrow's friendly!

Even if he's not with us?:greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
13-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Would anyone be interested in a £50 bet that he won't sign?

Billy Whizz
13-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Even if he's not with us?:greengrin

Just playing devils advocate here. If he's with us he'll be in the squad tomorrow. If he's not, this thread is a waste of all of our time/hopes!:confused:

Wilson
13-07-2012, 08:11 AM

No thanks James.

Hermit Crab
13-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Not if you have inside info ;)

pacorosssco
13-07-2012, 08:33 AM
McFadden is signing for Bristol City

Shame liked the look of this:greengrin

Clancy Mcpake ? Hanlon
HardBassa
shiels Cairney mcfadden
Doyle ?

GGTTH07
15-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Anyone found out if there is truth in him training with us?

Hibrandenburg
15-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Does anyone else sift through this thread and raise their eyebrows? Sniff?

Just read this thread through to the end and had to put a peg on my nose. Strong stench of sweet tatty.

YehButNoBut
15-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Doesn't look like he'll end up at Motherwell

http://sport.stv.tv/football/110917-motherwell-boss-tells-fans-he-doesnt-anticipate-making-any-summer-signings/

Motherwell boss tells fans he doesn't anticipate making any summer signings

IanM
19-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Just heard he's LOVE to sign for his boyhood heros CELTIC.. kinda puts end to this one for this season at least

Monts
19-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Just heard he's LOVE to sign for his boyhood heros CELTIC.. kinda puts end to this one for this season at least

Im pretty sure any player would love to sign for celtic right now given they would be guaranteed at least one trophy and champs league football.

Doesnt mean its going to happen.

Not that I think he was ever coming to hibs anyway.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Any player signing for SewerCo Rangers is guaranteed at least one trophy this season too.

Just Alf
19-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Any player signing for SewerCo Rangers is guaranteed at least one trophy this season too.

:top marks

Keith_M
22-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Currently training with Motherwell and still not signed up with anyone.

Jist sayin likes :wink:

lucky
22-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Aye but its £25k a week he wants , just saying likes

edinburghhibee
22-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Played for Motherwell last night so def not training with us

DH1875
22-07-2012, 04:40 PM

He will be waiting a while then. No one is going to pay him thst.

Hibrandenburg
22-07-2012, 06:17 PM
oooooo have we got a video.

(one for the auld heids)
yes we've got a bloody video!

BoltonHibee
22-07-2012, 07:33 PM

And Everton, and he is not training with them either.

Cabbage East
22-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Does he ****** :faf:

A fifth of that is what he's after.

lucky
22-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Does he ****** :faf:

A fifth of that is what he's after.
Not according to the press reports

ancient hibee
22-07-2012, 08:08 PM
If he only wants just over a million a year can't see the problem-it's up to the board to raise the money without delay before Hearts beat us to the draw.

Scouse Hibee
22-07-2012, 08:11 PM
If he only wants just over a million a year can't see the problem-it's up to the board to raise the money without delay before Hearts beat us to the draw.

:greengrin If only.

tamig
22-07-2012, 08:20 PM

I remember Steven Fletcher and Dean Shiels playing for us in a testimonial too last season. None of them were training with us at the time.

darrenmcintosh2
23-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Should we at least try make a move for the man

jacomo
23-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Nah. :wink:

Chuck Rhoades
23-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Unless we release Galbraith, O'Hanlon/Stephens and Sproule (3 players) we will not have the budget for James to even consider a deal with us.

Pretty Boy
23-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Why's no one else thought of this??

If he's available then it would be crazy to not at least make contact and assess both his financial demands and fitness.

darrenmcintosh2
23-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Stuart mccoll was saying how he has been taring their squad up in training. Got to be worth a look

Only turned down short term deal with Motherwell

Would also get him back into the national set up if he performs

Monts
23-08-2012, 09:56 AM
According to Agent Scotland hearts havent been able to get close to matching offers from elsewhere, so I doubt we could either.

jacomo
23-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Stuart mccoll was saying how he has been taring their squad up in training. Got to be worth a look

Only turned down short term deal with Motherwell

Would also get him back into the national set up if he performs

He could score a goal a game for Hibs and still not get back in the Scotland squad.

Elephant Stone
23-08-2012, 10:01 AM
According to Agent Scotland hearts havent been able to get close to matching offers from elsewhere, so I doubt we could either.

Hearts are skint though.

Judas Iscariot
23-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Would get more bodies through the gates...

Increase in attendances would fund his wages?

Aldo
23-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Why's no one else thought of this??

If he's available then it would be crazy to not at least make contact and assess both his financial demands and fitness.

PB who knows what happens with transfers at ER. You never know he may if been approached.

As for Hibs players in the international set up. Don't really care. I'm being selfish and don't want a player getting injured during an international when he is vital to us.

Chuck Rhoades
23-08-2012, 10:07 AM

That's a risk. Something that Hibs don't take.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-08-2012, 10:10 AM
That's a risk. Something that Hibs don't take.

What better way to continue and increase the recent momentum than by securing wee Jimmy on a deal to the end of the season? C'mon Petrie, recall 31st January 2012 where you quite clearly went bonkers with yer chequebook.....let's do it one more time babes x

Chuck Rhoades
23-08-2012, 10:12 AM
What better way to continue and increase the recent momentum than by securing wee Jimmy on a deal to the end of the season? C'mon Petrie, recall 31st January 2012 where you quite clearly went bonkers with yer chequebook.....let's do it one more time babes x

A kiss? With the mouser he has? Now that Sir, is a risk.

1875er
23-08-2012, 10:15 AM

If I kissed the Tache I would be checking to see if my gold fillings were still in afterwards.

southsider
23-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Hibs have on open interest free loan of up to £1.5m (last AGM). What better way to invest some of it than on James. Supporters are meeting RP at Hibs club on Sunday. I shall certainly ask him to use this.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Its a risk I'm willing to take......

darrenmcintosh2
23-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Is he available on a free if so gamble on his wage and if he turns out to still be a player he was cash in on his next transfer fee.

woody47
23-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Sorry but no thanks. Lazy lazy player. We used to slag of Riordan for not tracking back, well McFadden is exactly the same but without the goals.
Money better spent on a player who can hold the ball up rather than one who wants to try and beat the whole team on his own.

Stevie Reid
23-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Sorry but no thanks. Lazy lazy player. We used to slag of Riordan for not tracking back, well McFadden is exactly the same but without the goals.
Money better spent on a player who can hold the ball up rather than one who wants to try and beat the whole team on his own.

Are you serious? Surely the only questions are whether we can afford him and whether he would sign for us, not whether we would have him.

He's hardly Riordan without the goals, Riordan has scored 115 goals playing for Hibs, Celtic and Cowdenbeath - McFadden has scored 79 goals at a much higher level, and has played international football 48 times (where he has performed very well, and has a scoring ratio of almost 1 in 3).

Different level to Riordan altogether.

Judas Iscariot
23-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Sign both Riordan & McFadden...

2nd place & sell out crowds await..

Up to you now Rod :agree:

RyeSloan
23-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Really? What makes you think he is a lazy lazy player with no goals?

1 in every 2.5 games for Motherwell and about 1 in 3 for Scotland would suggest his goal ratio is not so bad. He suffered two serious injuries down south but despite that and being so lazy he still appeared for Evertin (a team known for their workrate) over 100 times.

Would jump at getting a player with almost 200 EPL appearances and 50 international caps!

easty
23-08-2012, 12:58 PM
If we could get him, though I don't think we could afford him, then he'd be a great signing.

I do wonder though, why aren't better teams after him? Why's he been training with Motherwell rather than down in the Championship where theres obviously more money?

darrenmcintosh2
23-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Come on RP get involved would boost tickets and merch lots of people would get his name on their shirt give him 2 numbers aswell even more money haha

Pedantic_Hibee
23-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Come on RP get involved would boost tickets and merch lots of people would get his name on their shirt give him 2 numbers aswell even more money haha

Petrie - "Whilst we'll have James' surname on the back of the strip as you would expect, we've also taken the innovative step (another Hibernian first) of giving James the shirt number 'McFadden' as well. Roll up, roll up, kids and adults alike..........." :cb

woody47
23-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Are you serious? Surely the only questions are whether we can afford him and whether he would sign for us, not whether we would have him.

He's hardly Riordan without the goals, Riordan has scored 115 goals playing for Hibs, Celtic and Cowdenbeath - McFadden has scored 79 goals at a much higher level, and has played international football 48 times (where he has performed very well, and has a scoring ratio of almost 1 in 3).

Different level to Riordan altogether.

J McF
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2000–2003 Motherwell 63 (26)
2003–2008 Everton 109 (11)
2008–2011 Birmingham City 82 (13)
2011–2012 Everton 7 (0)

Scotland - 48 (15)

Total 50 + 15 = 65 (of which 24 in 198 at a higher level - not including Scotland games or 39 if you do). Not quite the same as you are trying to make out!

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed watching him play but I also see a player that when a team is not playing well, he is not the sort of player to stand up and be counted. My opinion.

Stevie Reid
23-08-2012, 02:04 PM
J McF
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2011–2012 Everton 7 (0)

Scotland - 48 (15)

Total 50 + 15 = 65 (of which 24 in 198 at a higher level - not including Scotland games or 39 if you do). Not quite the same as you are trying to make out!

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed watching him play but I also see a player that when a team is not playing well, he is not the sort of player to stand up and be counted. My opinion.

You've only added up his league goals.

Regardless, you are of course entitled to your opinion - but the last couple of seasons have been the worst I've experienced in my 30 years of watching Hibs, I find it amazing that you seriously don't think that McFadden would improve us.

Elephant Stone
23-08-2012, 02:15 PM

If Fenlon wanted Riordan then he'd surely be able to. If he doesn't want to then that's good enough for me.

scuttle
23-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Instead of Riordan another qaulity midfielder and you may well be correct,

Monts
23-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Hearts are skint though.

Not as skint as we would like them to be. Still offering more than 'well.

sadtom
23-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Never rated him to be honest. Got fitba ability but nae fitba brain.
Shocking decision maker on the ball, a rich clubs Tam McManus.
Fanx but no fanx.

PeterboroHibee
23-08-2012, 02:30 PM
J McF
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2011–2012 Everton 7 (0)

Scotland - 48 (15)

Think he included all goals (cups etc), which comes to 79. Hes also played in a fair few positions in his career (striker, advanced midfielder, winger), so Id say his scoring record is decent. I honestly havent seen enough to suggest whether he goes hiding as you suggest, but he does seem to have the quality and ability to change games, which would be a good addition.

I wouldnt, as some have suggested, break the bank to get him however. Hes barley played football in the last couple of years, and its a bit of a gamble any club taking him. Signing for an SPL club would give him the perfect opportunity to play every week and get his career back on track, which he should be looking at doing (hes only 29!). If hes expecting Premiership wages then good luck to him, and to anyone daft enough to pay him that.

SlickShoes
23-08-2012, 02:31 PM

I wouldn't go to any more games than I normally just because we signed McFadden. For something like this to happen we'd need to sign someone of a much higher caliber.

LeighLoyal
23-08-2012, 03:02 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Sign him FFS. he can play in midfield. It's a bums on seats signing, would put 2k or 3k on the gate overnight.

joe_hfc
23-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't go to any more games than I normally just because we signed McFadden. For something like this to happen we'd need to sign someone of a much higher caliber.

I think he is the calibre of player who would bring fans back.

Our squad looks decent so far, well our starting XI anyway. One thing that's missing is a good winger, someone who can skin a player, bring in others, and bang a couple along the way. If we were to make that player McFadden, then we'd have a proven player who do that job well. He'd excel in the SPL. It adds another dangerous option to our attack. It would certainly bring some much needed excitement back to Leith...

Not to mention that he's a bit of a Scotland cult hero too!!

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2012, 03:23 PM

Maybe .net could become the main scouting source for PF, because he will have no idea these players are available.....:rolleyes:

PF will know who he wants to bring in/can afford to bring in, that will do for me.....

Jim44
23-08-2012, 03:23 PM

As one of those who are very selective about which games they go to, more consistency and the acquisition of players like McFadden would definitely get me back on a more regular basis.

darrenmcintosh2
23-08-2012, 03:27 PM
As one of those who are very selective about which games they go to, more consistency and the acquisition of players like McFadden would definitely get me back on a more regular basis.

Exactly. We need too be signing people like this hibs is a great club great facility's a great stadium if filled what player would
Turn it down if the money is rite

SlickShoes
23-08-2012, 03:27 PM

I can understand that but there are people claiming it'd add 2-3k on to the gates instantly, lots of people still haven't forgotten the last few years, lots of people are still skint too.

Sure it would boost attendance a bit but not in the thousands right away, if we were even to look at him, it is a gamble much like O'Connor was on a player that should be at the peak of there career.

RyeSloan
23-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Maybe .net could become the main scouting source for PF, because he will have no idea these players are available.....:rolleyes:

PF will know who he wants to bring in/can afford to bring in, that will do for me.....

Or maybe just maybe .net could become a forum where people can express their views without them being followed by a condescending post?

joe_hfc
23-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Or maybe just maybe .net could become a forum where people can express their views without them being followed by a condescending post?

awsome 5000th post! :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Maybe, or maybe not.......

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2012, 03:51 PM
awsome 5000th post! :greengrin

Awesome

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2012, 03:56 PM
I'd bet when we signed Steve Archibald, there were some folk saying he was past it and a waste of a wage.

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I heard Today from a reliable source that Stevie G is incandescent with rage, at being left out of the Reds squad to face the new European superforce.....

Do you think we could land him, he might do us a turn, and he would realise his lifetime ambition of playing against the big team? Might even add a few to our gates.....

SheriffLobo
25-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Ok, so dutd aside.

We seem to be building a "team" not a bunch of players who don't give a shiznit about the club.

So I wa thinking, all the folk that thought....Nah, can't be to get a season ticket or I am not paying for that. Now we have a spine in place a reasonable base for a team that could actually do something with all the league cafuffle (great word), if we went out and signed a faddy or someone of that ilk......

Would that get yer bum on a seat?

I have been quite impressed by the signings but more so the camaraderie of a squad who care about the shirt and the club they play for.

Now I am seeing the new strip, new team....etc.

I just wondered if people share my optimism or if I should just pay attention to the moany bar stewards who sit around me at Easter road that we are doomed and that iceberg will hit any time soon...

zlatan
25-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I haven't been to Easter Road for nearly two years and I don't particularly miss it. A McFadden type signing wouldn't necessarily get me back, but a good run of form and a side looking like it's worth the money to watch again might. I actually checked the fixture list to see when we were next at home for the first time in goodness knows how long after watching the second half on Alba this evening.

ManBearPig
25-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Agree with above sentiment although only make about 5 games a season and buy shirts faddy wouldn't make me buy any extra tickets

Ozyhibby
25-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I think that McFadden could definitely do a job for us but has not been a consistent performer at club level since 2003. He represents a risk for a club with a tight budget like ours.
On balance I think it would be a risk worth taking.

SheriffLobo
25-08-2012, 10:11 PM
On the back of your comment mbp I was thinking how much more money getting a faddy type would make in shirt sales, names on shirts etc.

Then I remembered the club shop doesn't sell any sizes so its a mute point haha

ronaldo7
25-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I haven't been to Easter Road for nearly two years and I don't particularly miss it. A McFadden type signing wouldn't necessarily get me back, but a good run of form and a side looking like it's worth the money to watch again might. I actually checked the fixture list to see when we were next at home for the first time in goodness knows how long after watching the second half on Alba this evening.

Big queue at the East ticket pod today at 2.45. Although we only had ^9k there today you better get there early if you want to make the kick off:aok:

Dashing Bob S
25-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Never understood the love-in with 'Fanny'. A mediocre player at best, who seems to have a rep based on two or three decent performances for Scotland against our arch-rivals the Faroes, and a then-declining French side. At club level he's played a maximum of half-a-dozen first team games per season for the last ten seasons. Who is he currently 'playing' for again?

Springbank
25-08-2012, 10:34 PM
DBS harsh. There's been holland Ukraine Italy who have all feared his skills to name but three

jabis
25-08-2012, 10:40 PM

:rolleyes:

Vini1875
25-08-2012, 11:07 PM
The club and this team have a lot to do to restore any sort of confidence in lapsed fans. I doubt any signings will in themselves create a rush back to ER only performances will do that. I think wins will put bums on seats. A feel good factor is a long time building and quickly dismantled. I have faith that it will turn around but will be over time not over night.

Northernhibee
25-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I think he'd be the wrong choice. We have next to no depth and we don't need injury prone players, we need solid players who are reliable and consistent.

Liberal Hibby
26-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Jeezuz - god or any other expletives. If a single big name signing is the only thing that starts tickling people's eroginous zones then they'll have a long wait to get their jollies.

Get your ***** down to ER PDQ - the team needs you - no excuses.

Septimus
26-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Always thought that lovely word was caRfuffle

Twa Cairpets
26-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Always thought that lovely word was caRfuffle

Kerfuffle

Col2
26-08-2012, 07:11 AM
McFadden would be a fantastic signing, risky yes, but would bring a real buzz back to the club.

We need another 'attacking' player - a winger or someone behind front two. We missed that yesterday especially when we counter attacked.

Hibby Kay-Yay
26-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Even if McFadden is not the player he once was (we couldn't afford if if he was) his reputation would be enough to make teams fear him. That alone could create space/problems for players like sparky/doyle/cairney to take advantage of.

He could do a job for us even if it was just for 60 mins.

Jim44
26-08-2012, 07:40 AM
I've changed my mind on this one. I'm not sure McFadden would be good move. We hear about big offers from other clubs yet he has trained with Motherwell all summer, won't sign for them and he has the reputation of being injury prone. Personally I think he should take a turn to himself and sign for them. If he can't show a bit of loyalty to them, would he bring much to us?

Beefster
26-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Never understood the love-in with 'Fanny'. A mediocre player at best, who seems to have a rep based on two or three decent performances for Scotland against our arch-rivals the Faroes, and a then-declining French side. At club level he's played a maximum of half-a-dozen first team games per season for the last ten seasons. Who is he currently 'playing' for again?

Except for 80% of the last ten seasons, you're absolutely spot on.

edwards
26-08-2012, 08:14 AM
I have to admit I would have liked to see McFadden at Er but this doesn't look likely, we have had years of spineless players taking a wage they don't deserve which has driven our support away.
Only time will tell and a couple of more faces through the door that will keep the momentum going and us challenging at the right end of the league will bring the fans back.
There must have been at least 16.000 Hibs fans at the relegation battle with Dunfermline yes they were looking for cup final tickets but that is the crowd we should be aiming at, 12.000 to 14.000 at least.

Future17
26-08-2012, 08:52 AM

Few beverages before posting?

Hibs On Tour
26-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Kerfuffle

Correct. A Carfuffle is when you have a romantic entanglement with a young lady in the back seat of yer motor! :greengrin

Franck Stanton
26-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Don't think any signing will add a lot of new season ticket sales just now, however...........IF we continue to improve our performances, gain more points, sustain a reasonably high league position, ---- then could see us sell quite a few half-seasons at Santa time.

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2012, 05:30 PM

The good news is that there is still a football club there. Its been through a bad time recently, but I'm led to believe that thanks to the generosity of some of the local folk, and a few from further afield it has managed to keep going.

Its always good to know that a totally rubbish football club can be kept going through the bad times. This gives it at least a fighting chance to be able to eventually get itsself up to the required standard which will enable the more discerning football aficionado to deem it worthy of their patronage.

Barney McGrew
26-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Correct. A Carfuffle is when you have a romantic entanglement with a young lady in the back seat of yer motor! :greengrin

Is that not a carfumble?

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2012, 05:37 PM
The good news is that there is still a football club there. Its been through a bad time recently, but I'm led to believe that thanks to the generosity of some of the local folk, and a few from further afield it has managed to keep going.

Its always good to know that a totally rubbish football club can be kept going through the bad times. This gives it at least a fighting chance to be able to eventually get itsself up to the required standard which will enable the more discerning football aficionado to deem it worthy of their patronage.

:tee hee:

zlatan
26-08-2012, 05:42 PM

Thanks kitten x

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Except for 80% of the last ten seasons, you're absolutely spot on.

I might only be spot on 25% of the time, but on this occasion I believe I'm 100% correct about 'Fanny'.

Hibs On Tour
26-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Is that not a carfumble?

That depends on how much of a suave and debonair cat you are with the laydees I suppose :greengrin

Septimus
27-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Kerfuffle

From the Scots Dialect Dictionary Carfuffle v to disarrange; to tumble; to crease; n fuss, exitement, disorder.

Gettin' Auld
27-08-2012, 06:53 AM
From the Scots Dialect Dictionary Carfuffle v to disarrange; to tumble; to crease; n fuss, exitement, disorder.

The guy earlier was correct about a back-seat bint then. :greengrin

ScottB
27-08-2012, 08:39 AM
It's a no from me.

Ultimately, a 'name' signing might cause a temporary blip in attendances, but only a winning team more often than not will do anything in the long term.

Over the last few years we've had O'Connor, Riordan, Stokes and Miller filling that role. Did it do us any good? I've had enough of these big headed, broken players on the down slope using our club for rehab. We should be using our budget on hungry young talent that want to get stuck in.

That and spending a decent chunk of money on a guy that isn't that fit and likely to get injured isn't the smartest plan either...

whiskyhibby
27-08-2012, 08:43 AM
It's a no from me.

Ultimately, a 'name' signing might cause a temporary blip in attendances, but only a winning team more often than not will do anything in the long term.

Over the last few years we've had O'Connor, Riordan, Stokes and Miller filling that role. Did it do us any good? I've had enough of these big headed, broken players on the down slope using our club for rehab. We should be using our budget on hungry young talent that want to get stuck in.

That and spending a decent chunk of money on a guy that isn't that fit and likely to get injured isn't the smartest plan either...

George Best in the 80's created more than a blip.......

ScottB
27-08-2012, 08:50 AM

And how much did we win with the drunk in the team?

LeighLoyal
27-08-2012, 08:53 AM
It's a no from me.

But if he is fit and the knee is okay... would be a risk but you have to take the odd one. The pay off would be decent for us. We could get second with a guy of his pedigree pulling the strings. Second equals CL and 1m prize money.

Stevie Reid
27-08-2012, 09:00 AM
But if he is fit and the knee is okay... would be a risk but you have to take the odd one. The pay off would be decent for us. We could get second with a guy of his pedigree pulling the strings. Second equals CL and 1m prize money.

I thought there was only one CL place available this year, is there not?

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I thought there was only one CL place available this year, is there not?

Correct. 2nd and 3rd get europa

Wilson
27-08-2012, 09:11 AM

If you have a decent squad and good cover then I would probably agree. We currently need solid and dependable and better quality before we think of taking risks.

Too many question marks over mcfadden for me.

ScottB
27-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Or you have another Billy Big Baws up his own **** that destabilises the team and doesn't put in the effort.

As I said, we've been there and done that with no success. If he was that good he'd have more than just Motherwell after him. The money spent on him could add 2 or 3 other solid, decent guys like the ones we've signed so far this summer with thus far good results.

Thecat23
27-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Or you have another Billy Big Baws up his own **** that destabilises the team and doesn't put in the effort.

As I said, we've been there and done that with no success. If he was that good he'd have more than just Motherwell after him. The money spent on him could add 2 or 3 other solid, decent guys like the ones we've signed so far this summer with thus far good results.

I agree with this. I think he's finished myself and as a team player he's not the answer. I'd rather spend the money on a midfielder or forward.

J-C
27-08-2012, 09:38 AM

Bang on, we need a team player who's not up his own erse and can also be a lazy get into the bargain, there are plenty good young talented midfielders out there where the wages would be better spent.

LeighLoyal
27-08-2012, 09:42 AM

I'm not sure McFadden would be like that, he is still young enough to want to prove a point and get into the Scotland set up for Brazil. Also not sure how you can say we've had no success with name players. If McFadden had even half the impact of Sauzee I would be delighted as would every Hibs fan. The only two reasonably big names we've had in recent times were Stokes and Miller who did well. O'Connor was a fat coke head but still did okay. Riordan scored plenty where he came back also. :confused: The only question for me is if his knee is okay.

--------
27-08-2012, 09:49 AM
It's a no from me.

Totally agree, Scott. Each of the guys you mention came, played, messed us about and left as soon as their agent got them a better offer than we could make them.

I have no intention of bad-mouthing McFadden, who hasn't given me the impression of being anything other than a decent professional with a good deal of talent. But as you say, his fitness has to be in question. We would probably have to pay over the odds for him - this could cause ructions elsewhere in the squad, especially if he then misses games through being unfit. If he's that good a deal, why is he still unattached in the last week of the window? Why has he been touting himself up here rather than in the English Championship? Why haven't the likes of Ian Holloway been sniffing around - a fit McFadden would suit Blackpool down to the ground.

If we have cash to spend, and providing the players are available, I'd rather see Pat do a couple of season's loans for the right players to beef up our midfield options, and use any remaining resources to try to get Sparky on a permanent contract. After Saturday, I'd rather like to see Claros at ER at least till the season's end; I thought he was very good against St Johnstone.

There are other, better options than McFadden, IMO.

George Best in the 80's frequently failed to turn up - or turned up drunk - and didn't stop us going down with (IIRC) the smallest points total in our history.

He certainly wasn't signed as 'one for the future'.

ScottB
27-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure McFadden would be like that, he is still young enough to want to prove a point and get into the Scotland set up for Brazil. Also not sure how you can say we've had no success with name players. If McFadden had even half the impact of Sauzee I would be delighted as would every Hibs fan. The only two reasonably big names we've had in recent times were Stokes and Miller who did well. O'Connor was a fat coke head but still did okay. Riordan scored plenty where he came back also. :confused: The only question for me is if his knee is okay.

Sauzee didn't come to us as damaged goods, McFadden would, as did Garry, Miller and Stokes. The latter three did alright for us, but nowhere near what they should have, and Garry and Stokes were unquestionably bad for the club off the pitch.

Not to say that McFadden would do that too, but I think over recent seasons bringing in a 'name' like those guys hasn't done us any favours. Currently we are playing better than we have for years and it's the first time we haven't been carrying some big name using us for rehab.

If we are going to spend a bit of money, and McFadden would cost us a bit of money, more players like Cairney, hungry and on the up, or solid pros like McPake are the way to go for me. As has been said, why aren't Championship teams sniffing around him? Taking a punt on him for them wouldn't be a risk at all, but nobodies interested. If he does come and do well, he'll no doubt be in the papers O'Connor style talking up a move in January anyway.

For the first time in years we appear to have the makings of a team, one that works and fights for each other. Dropping in a player of McFadden's circumstances for me is too much of a threat to that. We need a team more than we need a big name.