PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths Signed On Loan - Confirmed

Pages : [1] 2

ivan03
11-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Sparky has just been told he has no future at Wolves! Hopefully Pat does what he can to sign him now!

Pretty Boy
11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
If Leith can fit in with the new collective attitude that PF says he is striving for then I'd certainly have him back

bingo70
11-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Personally hope he doesn't sign.

With the exception of mcpake I'd be happy to see the back of everyone from last seasons team.

bingo70
11-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Also interesting he's been told this 3 days into pre season after reading fletch slagging him on Twitter for not being able to hack pre-season.

Don't know him but he doesn't strike me as the modelpro so wouldn't surprise me if there boss hasn't been impressed by his fitness levels

frazeHFC
11-07-2012, 10:13 AM
With Hibs now looking at the attitude of players i don't think we will rush to sign him, and i am quite happy if we don't.

frazeHFC
11-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Also interesting he's been told this 3 days into pre season after reading fletch slagging him on Twitter for not being able to hack pre-season.

Don't know him but he doesn't strike me as the modelpro so wouldn't surprise me if there boss hasn't been impressed by his fitness levels

Yeah Griffiths looked fit for us but doesn't mean it'd be good enough for them. I remember being shocked especially in the Bolton home friendly at how much fitter and stronger they were, was a level above us. I know we pumped them but it was something pretty evident.

Stevie Reid
11-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Yeah Griffiths looked fit for us but doesn't mean it'd be good enough for them. I remember being shocked especially in the Bolton home friendly at how much fitter and stronger they were, was a level above us. I know we pumped them but it was something pretty evident.

When we beat them 3-0? They were awful that night, and IIRC about 2 weeks behind us in fitness terms. I don't recall anything impressive about them at all that night, and wasn't at all surprised when Sammy Lee was sacked a couple of months later.

As for Griffiths, would take him for free, but would cost us a transfer fee.

Kris1875
11-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I don't think griffiths was fit with us , I remember sitting in the east at the killie game and he was blowing out his arse after about 70 minutes . The boy does score some good goals though so if PF could get him fit could be a good option .

Chuck Rhoades
11-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Would LG fit in with the type of character PF is trying to bring to ER?

Trying to get rid of the George St culture and employing model professionals who are willing to fight and show balls when things aren't going our way.

Hermit Crab
11-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Sign him, a good attacking option.

Andy74
11-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Would LG fit in with the type of character PF is trying to bring to ER?

Trying to get rid of the George St culture and employing model professionals who are willing to fight and show balls when things aren't going our way.

Can't see it after hearing PF last night. He talked about certain people who were supposed to be Hibs fans but didn't look like they actually cared enough to battle for us.

He also wants to cut down on yellows for things that aren't challenges!

Chuck Rhoades
11-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Can't see it after hearing PF last night. He talked about certain people who were supposed to be Hibs fans but didn't look like they actually cared enough to battle for us.

Yep, I was in attendance last night also hence raising the points.

I disagree with LG not willing to battle - I feel he was one of the few who would actually battle last season. Character not a question IMO.

Professionalism on the other hand - not too sure about that.

frazeHFC
11-07-2012, 10:38 AM
When we beat them 3-0? They were awful that night, and IIRC about 2 weeks behind us in fitness terms. I don't recall anything impressive about them at all that night, and wasn't at all surprised when Sammy Lee was sacked a couple of months later.

As for Griffiths, would take him for free, but would cost us a transfer fee.

Yeah i know they were awful, but what i was meaning was their players were much bigger and stronger than our players. What i am basically saying is down their Griffiths would find it much harder playing against these sorts of players.

#FromTheCapital
11-07-2012, 10:43 AM

Seen that on twitter, fletch also posted a pic of leigh having a snooze in the changing rooms..

I'd take him back, scored a few goals in a poor team and always looked like he was trying. With a bit more maturity I think he'd be a great signing and I dare say he'd love to sign for us.

S4uzee
11-07-2012, 10:44 AM

What meeting was this with fenlon and how do you go about being able to attend?

Del Boy
11-07-2012, 10:45 AM
No thanks, too much of an idiot and not that great a player in all honesty.

Chuck Rhoades
11-07-2012, 10:48 AM
No thanks, too much of an idiot and not that great a player in all honesty.

How is he an idiot?

Who would you suggest signing upfront that is a better player?

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2012, 10:50 AM
I cant make my mind up on him, do i want him at Hibs?

When he plays well he's good, but the baggage he brings, his temper, his lack of maturity, his selfishness. Will he mature into a player who will ignore the abuse he gets from the stands?

I just don't know if he's worth taking a punt on? :confused:

PJ IronHIbee
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
I hope we do go back in for leigh. Yes he has a lot to learn but the lad has undoubted talent. If we have a chance to bring him home we should do.

Billy Whizz
11-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Personally hope he doesn't sign.

With the exception of mcpake I'd be happy to see the back of everyone from last seasons team.

Me too. Dont think he's as good as some people think he is. Too many problems around him last season!

Mark79
11-07-2012, 11:12 AM
He was in bonyrigg a couple of weeks back and looks like he was back last weekend too according to some posts on twitter. Makes me think he has a house up here and that there is an option of a return to us

J-C
11-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Apart from a wee skirmish with his missus, Leigh wasn't up town bevvying every weekend, yes he's still immature but knows where the goal is, something we're gonna need this season. Hopefully Fenlon can get him and take him under his wing to make him the player we need at ER.

--------
11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I cant make my mind up on him, do i want him at Hibs?

When he plays well he's good, but the baggage he brings, his temper, his lack of maturity, his selfishness. Will he mature into a player who will ignore the abuse he gets from the stands?

I just don't know if he's worth taking a punt on? :confused:

I think that's the point, BH.

I was at ER last night, and one thing I came away with is that whatever the SFL clubs decide to do about Newco, finances in Scottish football are going to be very tight indeed for the foreseeable future.

Which means that no one will be able to afford having a player on the sidelines for 6 or 8 games a season (or more) because of petulance or dissent or confrontation with spectators. And that no one will be able to carry a players with bad attitudes.

It's also about influence in the dressingroom - if a club's depending on 20-22 players at most, they all have to pull together. This is what Pat F told us last night that he's trying to achieve. Remember how Mowbray punted Brebner because Brebner wasn't being upfront with him and the club about his gambling problem? And McManus because he was acting Billy Big-Boots towards the younger players Mowbray was going to have to bring on and rely on in a very small, tight squad? Influence in the dressingroom.

When I brought up the subject of THAT GAME and question of how much the people at the club - from STF down to the players and support staff - had felt the pain the supporters felt, the answer I got from Pat was that those who hadn't felt the pain had left and were no longer at the club. George Street celebrations after the worst result in living memory were clearly well beyond any line of acceptability to him, and needless to say, I respect him for this. (Mind you, TBF I don't know whether Leigh was involved in the George Street mess.)

Eleven players on the pitch giving 100% for 90 minutes - counting in subs, of course - are what we seem to be aiming for now and I for one agree with that. Leigh's a very talented laddie, but the baggage you mention and all that comes with that baggage isn't IMO stuff we can afford to be dealing with right now.

Signing him would be a gamble, and my feeling is that he would be one chance too many right now.

Aldo
11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
If he screws the nut the yes without a shadow of a doubt. The boy has talent and as previously mentioned scored goals in a poor team.

Would be too good an option to turn down IMHO.

Iain G
11-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Me too. Dont think he's as good as some people think he is. Too many problems around him last season!

Yet not as many or as serious problems as his strike partner perhaps?

If PF thinks he can get the best out of him, if we could afford him and if he wants to be at Easter Road then yes please. We need at least 2 additional good forwards who can score goals and certainly someone who can create a little bit of something out of nothing. :agree:

Ross4356
11-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Got to be signed, young laddie, hibby through and through, will only get better

R'Albin
11-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Have folk actually seen or heard any stories of Leigh Griffiths going out and drinking as part of the George ST culture referred to by Ross? The guy has proven to be a clown at times but it seems a bit libelous to me.

If he can screw the nut and behave himself then we should definitely sign him if available - he's got massive potential IMO.

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Have folk actually seen or heard any stories of Leigh Griffiths going out and drinking as part of the George ST culture referred to by Ross? The guy has proven to be a clown at times but it seems a bit libelous to me.

If he can screw the nut and behave himself then we should definitely sign him if available - he's got massive potential IMO.

Thats the $6m question, can he?

Last Minute
11-07-2012, 11:42 AM
ooh Zemmama :wink:

IWasThere2016
11-07-2012, 11:43 AM
I think we are LG's level tbh. I don't see more potential there. We do need some pace upfront and if he can behave then I would sign him.

rubber mal
11-07-2012, 11:45 AM
I think that's the point, BH.

I was at ER last night, and one thing I came away with is that whatever the SFL clubs decide to do about Newco, finances in Scottish football are going to be very tight indeed for the foreseeable future.

Which means that no one will be able to afford having a player on the sidelines for 6 or 8 games a season (or more) because of petulance or dissent or confrontation with spectators. And that no one will be able to carry a players with bad attitudes.

It's also about influence in the dressingroom - if a club's depending on 20-22 players at most, they all have to pull together. This is what Pat F told us last night that he's trying to achieve. Remember how Mowbray punted Brebner because Brebner wasn't being upfront with him and the club about his gambling problem? And McManus because he was acting Billy Big-Boots towards the younger players Mowbray was going to have to bring on and rely on in a very small, tight squad? Influence in the dressingroom.

When I brought up the subject of THAT GAME and question of how much the people at the club - from STF down to the players and support staff - had felt the pain the supporters felt, the answer I got from Pat was that those who hadn't felt the pain had left and were no longer at the club. George Street celebrations after the worst result in living memory were clearly well beyond any line of acceptability to him, and needless to say, I respect him for this. (Mind you, TBF I don't know whether Leigh was involved in the George Street mess.)

Eleven players on the pitch giving 100% for 90 minutes - counting in subs, of course - are what we seem to be aiming for now and I for one agree with that. Leigh's a very talented laddie, but the baggage you mention and all that comes with that baggage isn't IMO stuff we can afford to be dealing with right now.

Signing him would be a gamble, and my feeling is that he would be one chance too many right now.

Spot on, Doddie. I for one am happy to go with whatever Pat Fenlon thinks is best.

MB62
11-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I think his immaturity as a person is stronger than his potential ability as a football player. I agree with Doddie that he could be to much a risk to spend our valuable pennies on. He is not good enough to be our main striker but could be a decent foil for one.
I'll be neither disappointed or excited at whatever Pat decides to do here, if Leigh signs, fair enough, if he doesn't, move on and sleep lost over it.

easty
11-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I do quite like Griffiths, but when finances are dictating that we're going to have to bring through the young lads to add numbers to the first team squad, I don't think I'd bring him back. He'll want a decent wage and I'd rather Fenlon was using that money to bring an experienced player in to help the young players develop. Handling and Caldwell aren't going to learn much playing alongside Griffiths (or Doyle), in my opinion.

Monts
11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
ooh Zemmama :wink:

Is that a hint?

lord bunberry
11-07-2012, 11:48 AM

I agree I also think we need a bit of a reality check and remember the market were operating in were never going to be able to afford the finished article so whoever we sign isn't going to be perfect and imo griffiths problems could be overcome with the right coaching. Remember our manager also reacted to taunts from the stands and I don't hear anyone saying he has an attitude problem

allezsauzee
11-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I would be delighted to see Leigh sign for Hibs on a permanent deal. Has a lot of potential and would already be one of the better strikers in the SPL. He will play for Scotland if he screws the nut and starts listening to the advice he gets from the coaching staff. If he can keep his temper and stop getting birds up the duff that will help too!

mon the cabbage
11-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Leigh would do a job for us, if we are thinking of attitude cairney looks quite hot-headed and alot of us were wanting to sign Ian Black to wind up other fans, so why not sign griffiths?

R'Albin
11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Thats the $6m question, can he?

I guess that comes down to PF's judgement.

Wonder if they could put a clause in his contract that if he were to get suspended for certain offences then we aren't obliged to pay him? Something like that could work.

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I guess that comes down to PF's judgement.

Wonder if they could put a clause in his contract that if he were to get suspended for certain offences then we aren't obliged to pay him? Something like that could work.

I doubt any player would sign a contract like that?

lucky
11-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Think he is a decent player but has problems controlling himself on and of the the park. But will we get better for out money? I think he had the potential to score 15+ goals in the SPL next season. So yes I would take him

--------
11-07-2012, 12:44 PM

No one is slandering the guy - there are legitimate questions about his character and how he fits into the sort of dressingroom ethos the manager is trying to achieve. Pat Fenlon knows Leigh Griffiths as a footballer better than anyone us, and if at the end of the day Pat decides to bring him back I would have no complaints.

"If he can screw the nut and behave himself" is the question - and it's a pretty big "if", IMO.

--------
11-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Spot on, Doddie. I for one am happy to go with whatever Pat Fenlon thinks is best.

I should also have said that I now have no doubt that STF, RP and the other directors felt the pain of THAT DAY just as severely as I did.

Just to put that one to rest. :wink:

Hibercelona
11-07-2012, 12:47 PM
I felt that even although he didn't seem fully fit, he always gave 100%.

Yes, he has a bit of a temper issue that he needs to work on, but the guy has something fiery about him which I personally like to see in a player.

Would certainly welcome him on a short term deal with the option to extend if he can keep his anger in check.

Andy74
11-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I should also have said that I now have no doubt that STF, RP and the other directors felt the pain of THAT DAY just as severely as I did.

It was a good question and actually pretty well answered by all both following your point and also in the chats later. They all feel it alright. It's a pity most of the players didn't but they seem to be history.

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2012, 12:57 PM

What was said Doddie?

--------
11-07-2012, 12:59 PM
What was said Doddie?

ERm - I'll PM you. :wink:

R'Albin
11-07-2012, 01:04 PM
I doubt any player would sign a contract like that?

It could benefit the player as well though? If he's away to do something he may restrain himself and think - I'll naw get paid if I do that.

Sorry for slow replies, struggling to get service.

--------
11-07-2012, 01:09 PM
It could benefit the player as well though? If he's away to do something he may restrain himself and think - I'll naw get paid if I do that.

Sorry for slow replies, struggling to get service.

I see where you're coming from. The player just might see things that way and be ready to sign, but there's no way his agent would let him, IMO.

I think the question would be whether Pat considered that the benefit of having him in the squad outweighed the problems related to managing him and the effect his presence would have on the rest of the dressingroom.

R'Albin
11-07-2012, 01:10 PM
No one is slandering the guy - there are legitimate questions about his character and how he fits into the sort of dressingroom ethos the manager is trying to achieve. Pat Fenlon knows Leigh Griffiths as a footballer better than anyone us, and if at the end of the day Pat decides to bring him back I would have no complaints.

"If he can screw the nut and behave himself" is the question - and it's a pretty big "if", IMO.

It certainly is a big if.

From what I've seen Leigh doesn't appear to be the sort of guy who's a bad influence on the dressing room, I think his general attitude seems pretty good to be honest. I think the problem with Leigh is when he does silly things in the heat of the moment. I'm not sure he would ruin the ethos, more just get himself suspended often for doing silly things, that's the risk with him.

Let's hope that he can control himself - as many on this thread have said he could be a great acquisition.

Johnny_Leith
11-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Get him signed

Stevie Reid
11-07-2012, 01:14 PM
His succession of suspensions for doing EXACTLY the same thing 3 times robbed us of his services for many games last season when he was in his best run of form - that period was significant in us not being able to pull away from the relegation zone earlier IMO.

Given our limited resources, I would rather we went elsewhere - but would welcome him if he signed.

Billychaotic182
11-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Where does it say wolves don't want him?

Hibee Ryan
11-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I would want to see him signed, he did get himself suspended but towards the end of the season he stopped that and easily became our second most valuable player behind McPake! He can score goals and thats what we need right now

--------
11-07-2012, 01:16 PM
His succession of suspensions for doing EXACTLY the same thing 3 times robbed us of his services for many games last season when he was in his best run of form - that period was significant in us not being able to pull away from the relegation zone earlier IMO.

Given our limited resources, I would rather we went elsewhere - but would welcome him if he signed.

THAT's the point. :agree:

MB62
11-07-2012, 01:36 PM
ERm - I'll PM you. :wink:

Doddie, not trying to have a go at you personally but,

Why the P.M? why do you feel this cannot be made available to the MB? was this a secret meeting for the elite uber hibs support?

It's wee things like this that gets peeps irritated. Hibs want us ALL to buy S.T.'s but don't want to tell us ALL what's happening or what they are thinking.

20,000 + of us at Hampden sharing the pain, how many were at the meeting that few even knew about?
Shirley the club expected news to be filtered out from those that were there to the rest of us.

--------
11-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Doddie, not trying to have a go at you personally but,

Why the P.M? why do you feel this cannot be made available to the MB? was this a secret meeting for the elite uber hibs support?

It's wee things like this that gets peeps irritated. Hibs want us ALL to buy S.T.'s but don't want to tell us ALL what's happening or what they are thinking.

20,000 + of us at Hampden sharing the pain, how many were at the meeting that few even knew about?
Shirley the club expected news to be filtered out from those that were there to the rest of us.

Nothing sinister - just my own discomfort about putting one or two personal details up on the main board. But you're right - there's no reason to keep this private.

One, the assurance from PF that he and the board were well aware that a number of the players hadn't been bothering their backsides, and that those players have now ALL left the building.

Second, the word of Scott Lindsay himself that he and his colleagues had been just as affected by what happenbed (or didn't happen) as the rest of us.

Thirdly, the word of one of the ST-holders who was mainly involved in setting up last night's meeting that he saw STF just after the final whistle, and that STF was obviously extremely upset - white-faced and shaking.

Now I know that last night had a PR aspect to it - I'm not daft, and that would only be to be expected - but I really don't think anyone was telling lies about this.

It's not anexclusive thing - I'm not actually sure why I myself was there. I can say that it was a good eveniong, both informative and encouraging.

MB62
11-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Nothing sinister - just my own discomfort about putting one or two personal details up on the main board. But you're right - there's no reason to keep this private.

One, the assurance from PF that he and the board were well aware that a number of the players hadn't been bothering their backsides, and that those players have now ALL left the building.

Second, the word of Scott Lindsay himself that he and his colleagues had been just as affected by what happenbed (or didn't happen) as the rest of us.

Thirdly, the word of one of the ST-holders who was mainly involved in setting up last night's meeting that he saw STF just after the final whistle, and that STF was obviously extremely upset - white-faced and shaking.

Now I know that last night had a PR aspect to it - I'm not daft, and that would only be to be expected - but I really don't think anyone was telling lies about this.

It's not anexclusive thing - I'm not actually sure why I myself was there. I can say that it was a good eveniong, both informative and encouraging.

From those posting on here about the evening, it does all sound positive and good, which is why it might have been an idea for the club to release something to say 'they had a very worthwhile meeting with a group of supporters where sincere views were exchanged' or something like that.
We have had far to much negativity and we need to start publicising the positives a bit more.

--------
11-07-2012, 02:52 PM
From those posting on here about the evening, it does all sound positive and good, which is why it might have been an idea for the club to release something to say 'they had a very worthwhile meeting with a group of supporters where sincere views were exchanged' or something like that.
We have had far to much negativity and we need to start publicising the positives a bit more.

There will be info, once the guys who got landed with the job have got it all collated.

Things take time - and I REALLY shouldn't have been spending as much time on the .net today as I have, because I too have work to do .... :devil:

Pretty Boy
11-07-2012, 03:00 PM
It certainly is a big if.

From what I've seen Leigh doesn't appear to be the sort of guy who's a bad influence on the dressing room, I think his general attitude seems pretty good to be honest. I think the problem with Leigh is when he does silly things in the heat of the moment. I'm not sure he would ruin the ethos, more just get himself suspended often for doing silly things, that's the risk with him.

Let's hope that he can control himself - as many on this thread have said he could be a great acquisition.

I don't think he's a bad influence as such.

However I'm sure it was Billy Stark, although I could be wrong, who said Leigh is his own worst enemy at times. He wasn't implying he was a bad player or whatever but said that he always thinks he knows best and won't listen to what he's told. When he's given a job to do on the park if he doesn't fancy it he will just do his own thing. A few people from Dundee echoed that.

Good player most definitely but in a season where we need everyone pulling in the same direction he'd need to change.

--------
11-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't think he's a bad influence as such.

However I'm sure it was Billy Stark, although I could be wrong, who said Leigh is his own worst enemy at times. He wasn't implying he was a bad player or whatever but said that he always thinks he knows best and won't listen to what he's told.

When he's given a job to do on the park if he doesn't fancy it he will just do his own thing. A few people from Dundee echoed that.

Good player most definitely but in a season where we need everyone pulling in the same direction he'd need to change.

THAT I would say is exactly what we don't need this season, and what PF won't put up with.

It's a shame - he has so much talent.

3pm
11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Maverick. Decision making appalling. No thanks.

S4uzee
11-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Can't believe there is even a debate. PETRIE SIGN HIM UP!

blaikie
11-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Front two of Leigh and McFadden ..... Yes please!

Aldo
11-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Front two of Leigh and McFadden ..... Yes please!

Sorry I wouldn't play them as a front 2. Line striker with them supporting him. Now that would be good. If we sign JM I cannot see us signing LG and vice versa.

Seveno
11-07-2012, 04:33 PM

Can't believe there is even a debate. Not the sort of professional we need to change the whole ethos at our Club. No thanks.

Jones28
11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I think he would be worth a shout. However Fenlon would have to take a Ferguson esque stance with him - ie no matter what you're contributing to the team, goals etc, you get punished for being stupit.

Would also like to think that this new policy on professionalism would maybe get hime to grow up a wee bit.

NAE NOOKIE
11-07-2012, 05:02 PM
LG Like a lot of our players last season didnt look as fit as he should have been and after half a season behind him its strange that a fellow pro is taking the peesh oot of him for not being able to hack pre season.

Theres no doubt theres a player in there ...... a bit worried about how we could get him playing at what could be his best if he were to sign.

Holmesdale Hibs
11-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Definitely have him back. He did well last season and scored a good few goals, especially given the lack of creativity in midfield. With (hopefully) better players around him and an extra year of experience, he'd be better next season.

He's also the closest thing we've had to a flair player since Riordan left. As well as improving results, we need a more exciting team if we want attendances to improve.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for him at Wolves, I could have seen him maturing in to a championship player.

HH81
11-07-2012, 05:12 PM
I seen him have about 2 good games last season and let the club down with stupid suspensions.

Oh and he was a waste of a shirt in the cup final.

Hibs need to move forward not with LG though in my opinion.

ancient hibee
11-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Not for me.

truehibernian
11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I seen him have about 2 good games last season and let the club down with stupid suspensions.

Oh and he was a waste of a shirt in the cup final.

Hibs need to move forward not with LG though in my opinion.

How many games did you go to ?

Leigh did let the club down re his onfield discipline, however he was far and away the best striker at the club. Has pace, good finisher, plays with heart on his sleeve - needs to learn self discipline and be more of a team player, but the lad has real talent. I'd sign him in a minute.

What did Garry do last season if you break down his performances over 90 minutes ? For me he went rapidly downhill fitness wise, his hold up play and touch was that of a junior footballer, and his application in a whole game was poor. His part in the post final carry on, and his ' I'm going to Rangers' quips to teammates in January, show me exactly why Leigh is the striker I'd rather have in my side.

wick hibby
11-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Not for me 2 hot headed

edwards
11-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Is he no been linked with Preston North End if things don't work out at Wolves :rolleyes:

Aldo
11-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Not for me 2 hot headed

Nowt wrong with being hot headed matey. Just needs to be channelled accordingly. That's where the manager earns his crust.

As before would take him in a second and TBH I thought the games he played in he was excellent... Willing runner, scored a few goals in a poor team. If the funds are there go get him nutsy.

EK_Hibs
11-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Can't believe you can't believe there's even a debate!!!????

Not for me... The guys attitude stinks. Sorry Leigh but it's true.

Billychaotic182
11-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Would love too see him back. Can't think of a better young hibee out there.

chrisski33
11-07-2012, 05:58 PM
LG Like a lot of our players last season didnt look as fit as he should have been and after half a season behind him its strange that a fellow pro is taking the peesh oot of him for not being able to hack pre season.

Theres no doubt theres a player in there ...... a bit worried about how we could get him playing at what could be his best if he were to sign.

Didnt fletch say that the training was harder. and longer down south whenhe left hibs? Perhaps the training is still to lapse and short at hibs? Or maybe fletcher has.noticed lg isnt up to the standard he should be?

hibsbollah
11-07-2012, 05:58 PM
After what Fenlon has said about 'the right characters' in the dressing room id be flabbergasted if he came back. Won't happen.

Piqué
11-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Someone just asked him on twitter if he would like to return, to which he answered yes. If Pat wants him and we can afford him I'd be very happy with this.

matty_f
11-07-2012, 06:04 PM
After what Fenlon has said about 'the right characters' in the dressing room id be flabbergasted if he came back. Won't happen.

:agree:

Captain Trips
11-07-2012, 06:08 PM
We and no club will have a squad of players all who act in the right manner, Leigh is not the worst and I think is a good player so I think it would be good signing. If PF cannot handle the odd player like Leigh then we have a hell of a lot to worry about.

Deek01
11-07-2012, 06:10 PM
In a heartbeat, if we could sign the Derek Riordan of old that'd be my preference but sparky is the closest to a young talent capable of scoring goals and pulling off something out of nothing that we're going to find. I believe he'll hit 15+ next season plus the fact he'll work his socks off for the jersey. No brainier for me, bring sparky home.

Vault Boy
11-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I too would be happy with Griffiths returning. He is a very talented player despite his lack of common sense. Contraire to some of the other bad behaving individuals we have had recently, I think that Leigh is quite consistently a good player on the park and makes up for his mishaps. Given some of Fenlon's strict approach, Sparky could be a real player with us if he were to return.

In addition, I'm worried that for the first time that I can remember, we don't have a proven striker in the team. Even some of our poorer sides always had a couple of good attackers. I think Doyle could turn out a player, but if he does flop we need to have a couple of proven strikers in place thus, why I would also take back Gary.

bingo70
11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
We and no club will have a squad of players all who act in the right manner, Leigh is not the worst and I think is a good player so I think it would be good signing. If PF cannot handle the odd player like Leigh then we have a hell of a lot to worry about.

I think the timing of signing a player of his like is significant rather than Fenlons ability to manage him.

Once we've got a settled and disciplined squad i'm sure Fenlon, along with the senior players, will be fine with controlling the odd hot head but when we're trying to change the culture of the club i'm not sure it's a great time to be signing Griffiths.

I personally think he's an erse and i'm fed up of having players at the club i just don't like so would rather he didn't sign, if he did come back though and he was scoring goals, playing well and helping the team play well i dare say i'd get over my issues with him though.

ScottB
11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Fenlon's statement says he is looking for a striker different from the ones we had last season, so it would suggest he isn't high up the wanted list.

I wouldn't object to his return, but I wouldn't be going out of my way to sign him.

Scouse Hibee
11-07-2012, 06:21 PM
So PF is not only concentrating on the right talent but also trying to get the right characters for the dressing room! Nothing wrong with having the odd "bad boy" in the team is there? Or is it just that PF can't manage that type of player?

Dinkydoo
11-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Agree with this.

With a more creative midfield and a strike partner who has good positional play and movement (Doyle), I think we'd see a much improved LG from last season - and he was the best attacking player in our side by a mile too.

bingo70
11-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I too would be happy with Griffiths returning. He is a very talented player despite his lack of common sense. Contraire to some of the other bad behaving individuals we have had recently, I think that Leigh is quite consistently a good player on the park and makes up for his mishaps. Given some of Fenlon's strict approach, Sparky could be a real player with us if he were to return.

In addition, I'm worried that for the first time that I can remember, we don't have a proven striker in the team. Even some of our poorer sides always had a couple of good attackers. I think Doyle could turn out a player, but if he does flop we need to have a couple of proven strikers in place thus, why I would also take back Gary.

I think we need to get a striker or strikers that are team players rather than just having goal scorers up front.

In the last few years i can think of us having Stokes, Killen, Fletcher, Riordan, GoC and Griffiths. It's great having goalscorers to get you out of trouble but in this time i can't think of one hearts striker that are any better than them but they consistantly finish higher than us, maybe it shows the merits of having hard working team players up front that bring others into the game rather than ones that score goals and get headlines.

I think once doyle gets a good pre-season under his belt, now he's use to the league i think there's a good chance he could have the right balance between being hardworking and capable of pitching in with some goals as well, i doubt he'll get 15-20 goals a season though.

S4uzee
11-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Agree with this and at least he shows he cares

silverhibee
11-07-2012, 06:53 PM
I would sign him, the amount of babies he is producing should have ER sold out in a couple of seasons with wee baby Griffith's running about the place.

And i like a nutter like Leigh/Deek/McManus playing for the Hibs, a player with a bit of a swagger about them, knows what it means to play for the Hibs, cut out the stupid gestures to everyone but don't lose the cheeky side of him, he does seem a naughty boy, but he could be the Messiah one day for us. :greengrin

Would rather have Griffiths than McFadden, Faddy has injury problems.

bingo70
11-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I would sign him, the amount of babies he is producing should have ER sold out in a couple of seasons with wee baby Griffith's running about the place.

And i like a nutter like Leigh/Deek/McManus playing for the Hibs, a player with a bit of a swagger about them, knows what it means to play for the Hibs, cut out the stupid gestures to everyone but don't lose the cheeky side of him, he does seem a naughty boy, but he could be the Messiah one day for us. :greengrin

Fair enough, i think we could disagree all day long about him and players like him but we obviously just want different things in players, the only bit i'm going to pick you up on is the bit i've highlighted.

It's completely irrelevant he knows what it means to play for the hibs, in fact i think the fact he's a hibs fan worked against him as he's too involved in it all. I don't remember hearing about him making gestures to Livi or Dundee fans so i think he's probably too immature to play for the team he supports, maybe starting again somewhere else might do his career some good.

Eyrie
11-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I'd have him back for his ability and commitment, but will defer to Fenlon over his attitude. If he does have issues there, then the question is not whether Fenlon is willing to handle a "character" in the dressing room, but instead it's the signal that sends out when he has already publicly stated that he is seeking to improve the professionalism at the club.

Other concern is that he and Doyle didn't work well together last season, but on balance I'd like Griffiths to return.

Leishy1995
11-07-2012, 07:22 PM
If you haven't all ready, check what he's retweeting on twitter. Almost like he is set to go to us.

HoboHarry
11-07-2012, 07:24 PM
If you haven't all ready, check what he's retweeting on twitter. Almost like he is set to go to us.
I am too technically backwards to be on Twitter. What is he saying?

bingo70
11-07-2012, 07:47 PM

It's just lots of wolves fans wishing him well and hibs fans saying they want him back?

Hermit Crab
11-07-2012, 08:02 PM

You got a link for those of us who are not on twitter Facebook etc.

goosefat
11-07-2012, 08:12 PM
You got a link for those of us who are not on twitter Facebook etc.

http://twitter.com/leighg28

I think this is it.

By the way, and for the sake of a , why do I have to wade through a dozen dummy accounts made by no-marks before I actually find the real twitter page I'm looking for?

:brickwall

ScottB
11-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Seems he's mostly retweeting the opinions of young ladies.

Another bambino will be along shortly :greengrin

PeterboroHibee
11-07-2012, 08:25 PM

I agree with that (if McFadden would even be looking to sign). McFaddens a better player but he is horrendously injury prone, whereas Griffiths is still a young guy, seems like he would love to come back and when he actually got played up front, I think he looked really good. He also came on massively throughout the season and looked a lot better than when he first joined the club.

I was far from convinced when he first joined, but Id be delighted to have him back, especially when at the moment all we have is 3 players who have yet to prove themselve in the SPL (in Doyle, Caldwell and Handling).

Hermit Crab
11-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Can't take anything from that twitter crap. Just good luck messages.

leggeto
11-07-2012, 08:41 PM
daft at times but a good sriker and great workrate, could still do a job for us

Hibs90
11-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Rather him than Doyle. Fenlon and Hibs would be daft not to try sign him up, and it would come back to haunt us.

Dunbar Hibee
11-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Blocked me from Twitter because I disagreed with him over a TITP tweet (nothing bad was said) so right now I am not pleased with him. Big bairn :greengrin Would love him back though, so much potential.

SteveHFC
11-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Blocked me from Twitter because I disagreed with him over a TITP tweet (nothing bad was said) so right now I am not pleased with him. Big bairn :greengrin Would love him back though, so much potential.

I saw you tweet :wink:

Dunbar Hibee
11-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I saw you tweet :wink:

Can't believe he blocked me for that haha! After all the nice tweets I gave him too :greengrin

matty_f
11-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't think Hobs need the hassle right now. If he was a Cantona-esque signing then yep, take him warts and all, but he's not. He's a decent player and nowhere near justifies the amount of time it'd take to manage him.

Leishy1995
11-07-2012, 09:05 PM
He's retweeting every tweet from hibs fans, it was one in particular I saw but it's gone, look for the blue tick when searching for him

Hermit Crab
11-07-2012, 09:17 PM
http://twitter.com/leighg28

I think this is it.

By the way, and for the sake of a , why do I have to wade through a dozen dummy accounts made by no-marks before I actually find the real twitter page I'm looking for?

:brickwall

He also says In Tweets further down that Hibs are a stepping stone for him and folk on the bounce are giving him stick.

Eyrie
11-07-2012, 09:32 PM
He also says In Tweets further down that Hibs are a stepping stone for him and folk on the bounce are giving him stick.
It's a fact of life that there are bigger clubs playing at a higher level than us. If Griffiths believes that doing well here will help to reach that goal, then he has every incentive to perform for us so it's not something to be held against him.

silverhibee
11-07-2012, 09:33 PM
I agree with that (if McFadden would even be looking to sign). McFaddens a better player but he is horrendously injury prone, whereas Griffiths is still a young guy, seems like he would love to come back and when he actually got played up front, I think he looked really good. He also came on massively throughout the season and looked a lot better than when he first joined the club.

I was far from convinced when he first joined, but Id be delighted to have him back, especially when at the moment all we have is 3 players who have yet to prove themselve in the SPL (in Doyle, Caldwell and Handling).

Did he even train with Hibs today. :confused:

down-the-slope
11-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Did he even train with Hibs today. :confused:

Defo Maybe :greengrin

Jim44
11-07-2012, 11:11 PM
There's a thread on FF about Griffiths going to Newco, but to be honest, most of them don't want him. Mind you, beggars aren't choosers and stranger things have happened.

Scottiedog007
11-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Agent Football ‏@AgentScotland

I'm hearing that Hibs have put an offer on the table to Leigh Griffiths, he wants to take time to explore all his options though
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Jim44
12-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Agent Football ‏@AgentScotland

I'm hearing that Hibs have put an offer on the table to Leigh Griffiths, he wants to take time to explore all his options though
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Aye right, just like the option he chose to go back to Wolves to fight for a place ....... only to be told after three days, ta ta Leigh.

Steve-O
12-07-2012, 03:58 AM
I watched about 5 games last season, including 2 in person, and Griffiths was ok in one of them, posted missing in the others. Not fussed either way about this one.

Albion Hibs
12-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I think Griffiths is a very good player and I would be delighted to see him back at Hibs. The fact he is a hibs fan goes for us, as I would assume if offered the same money elsewhere he would come to us, and lets be honest we need all the strikers we can get. Starting the season with a LOI striker is not giving me any faith in where the goals are going to come from.

He may have been a bit silly at times with his gestures, but if that is the case then Pat should be out on his ear as well for his behaviour, bearing in mind he is a good 20 years old, apparently wiser and the manager of the team.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2012, 12:39 PM
FWIW, I'd sign him, and not just for sentimental reasons of his being a Hibs fan. He has the desire and he hates losing, which is exactly what we need. Nothing wrong with a bit of aggression. He demonstrated he can do a good job in the SPL and could be a big player at our level.

Part/Time Supporter
12-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Aye right, just like the option he chose to go back to Wolves to fight for a place ....... only to be told after three days, ta ta Leigh.

He is under contract to them and was therefore obliged to go back there.

Jim44
12-07-2012, 01:02 PM
He is under contract to them and was therefore obliged to go back there.

I'm aware that he was contracted to them and had to go back. I'm referring to what I read about him when he did go back ....... something about not returning to Hibs even if it was an option as his sights were now solely set on settling in at Wolves. I just find it ironic that after 3 days the talk is about him bouncing back to Hibs.

GGTTH07
12-07-2012, 01:34 PM
I for one would take him in a heartbeat. :flag:

SteveHFC
12-07-2012, 01:35 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m22qkaAMJy1qk5ynno1_400.gif

soupy
12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes fi me

Brightside
12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
is there an echo in here. NO.

R'Albin
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Inb4merge

Oh and yes.

P.S Mainboy, can you post gifs of AJ doing the yes in future please? I like her :wink:

SteveHFC
12-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Inb4merge

Oh and yes.

P.S Mainboy, can you post gifs of AJ doing the yes in future please? I like her :wink:

Maybe :wink:

Del Boy
12-07-2012, 01:40 PM
No

R'Albin
12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Maybe :wink:

Maybe.. don't you mean..

BT58
12-07-2012, 04:37 PM
I got told today that darren jacjson is his agent (unsure if correct)
However DJ has seemingly tried to hammer LG by getting him to buy his own boots and gear
Perks that other players take for granted
Also that LG has had other offers from newco, & others, but would rather play week in /out at HFC
He also knows that he has to bite his tongue when being baited,, reputations stick and his career could be very short
Just passing on what i was told,, it could be bull
Bt

Captain Trips
13-07-2012, 08:19 AM
LG was in probably one of the worst teams in many years but for me was not one of the worst players, he showed me that he could be a player and I think with more quality in team he would be better.

What I will say is if Hibs are in a position to not require LG then we must have some team ready to roll. Hibs are light years away from not needing this player at the moment.

SlickShoes
13-07-2012, 08:28 AM
He wouldn't be my first choice BUT basing it on what we currently have and who we are likely to sign I would take him back ASAP, he is still young enough to develop in to an even better player, if he was maybe 25/26 and still having the temperament problems he had last season I would not want him back but who else is available?

Wilson
13-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't know if he fits in exactly with Pat's plans. I wouldn't say, given his past indiscretions, that he is the type of character Pat is looking for. Neither is he the front man that would allow us to play different formations that has been identified as a requirement.

He certainly has talent and would add to the current squad. However, I wouldn't be surprised that he is not our number one target.

ahibby
13-07-2012, 09:11 AM
If we can get better than LG then I'm looking forward to see who we get. Otherwise if affordable we should get him.

Hermit Crab
13-07-2012, 09:33 AM
If we can get better than LG then I'm looking forward to see who we get. Otherwise if affordable we should get him.

This.

LeighLoyal
13-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Griffiths and McFadden pairing would sell a few tickets. :greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
13-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Neither is he the front man that would allow us to play different formations that has been identified as a requirement.

He can play wide left, right, on his own up front, or as a two, what more do you want?

Andy74
13-07-2012, 10:49 AM

That depends if you are talking about football ability or also the many different other things this manager is having to think about to change the culture and the mentaility of the team .

For a few years now we've tried the flawed talent route and whilst as individuals they can produce the goods, it has often been to the detriment of having a team that works well and wins games.

Pat talked about a couple of the youth games he had seen against Hearts. Both games we won, both times Hearts were the better team with the better players. Obviously he doesn't want to go into games with the other team always having better players but he also wants those players to be able to win games regardless of how the game is going.

MB62
13-07-2012, 11:35 AM

It read in the press as though Wolves are looking for a fee for him, so that might just rule out any immediate transfer to us, regardless of whether we want him or not.

Phil MaGlass
13-07-2012, 11:44 AM
It read in the press as though Wolves are looking for a fee for him, so that might just rule out any immediate transfer to us, regardless of whether we want him or not.

Simple, sign him and share any money with Wolves made on re-selling him

IWasThere2016
13-07-2012, 11:47 AM

That's an opening gambit .. they've just has a massive EPL parachute payment. He would not be dear or a clause with a % sell-on could be sorted if desired.

erin-go-bragh87
14-07-2012, 06:03 PM
@ScotFootBlog: Alan Maybury came on at half time for Hibs. No other trialist action. Fenlon telling fans earlier that he is working on Griffiths signing.

Just seen this on twitter. Any truth in Fenlon saying this??

Baldy Foghorn
14-07-2012, 06:10 PM
@ScotFootBlog: Alan Maybury came on at half time for Hibs. No other trialist action. Fenlon telling fans earlier that he is working on Griffiths signing.

Just seen this on twitter. Any truth in Fenlon saying this??

I am not sure I believe PF would tell the fans of a signing target....He has not done so in the past, and the Hibs way is to keep silent until the player signs on the dotted line....

ScottB
14-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I am not sure I believe PF would tell the fans of a signing target....He has not done so in the past, and the Hibs way is to keep silent until the player signs on the dotted line....

Could be a case of fans asking him about Griffiths or strikers in general, him saying 'we are working on it' and a story being extrapolated from that.

I agree, I can't imagine him outright saying 'we are in for Griffiths' to fans.

Baldy Foghorn
14-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Could be a case of fans asking him about Griffiths or strikers in general, him saying 'we are working on it' and a story being extrapolated from that.

I agree, I can't imagine him outright saying 'we are in for Griffiths' to fans.

Yip sounds more realistic Scott.....PF said on Tuesday that they were working on things.....

Hibby_G
15-07-2012, 03:30 PM
i heard that griffiths is avalible :greengrin

HNA2
15-07-2012, 03:38 PM
There's already a thread on Griffiths.

YehButNoBut
16-07-2012, 12:00 PM
leigh griffiths‏@LeighG28Congrats to my old club Dundee on getting back in spl

Maybe he'll end up back there :dunno:

Last Minute
16-07-2012, 12:11 PM
@ScotFootBlog: Alan Maybury came on at half time for Hibs. No other trialist action. Fenlon telling fans earlier that he is working on Griffiths signing.Just seen this on twitter. Any truth in Fenlon saying this??

Yes it was me that made a tweet to Leigh about this, also it was me that asked Fenlon on Saturday while having some pasta with the guys on Saturday. Thanks to the lads at East Fife made all of us very welcome.

hibsbollah
16-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Yes it was me that made a tweet to Leigh about this, also it was me that asked Fenlon on Saturday while having some pasta with the guys on Saturday. Thanks to the lads at East Fife made all of us very welcome.

Fenlon specifically said 'all the dressing room bad influences' had now left and he wouldnt welcome any of them back. If what you say is true and negitiations are ongoing, it sounds as if Pat doesnt consider Griffiths to be one of the disruptive ones :dunno: I think we all assumed he was. Who else can he be referring to? OConnor and Doherty? Stack? :dunno:

jacomo
16-07-2012, 12:58 PM
He can play wide left, right, on his own up front, or as a two, what more do you want?

Plus he's only, what, 21 or 22? He isn't the finishing article and should be receptive to coaching to increase his adaptability and awareness. That's if we do any coaching at Hibs of course - from watching the team sometimes, it's hard to tell.

--------
16-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Fenlon specifically said 'all the dressing room bad influences' had now left and he wouldnt welcome any of them back. If what you say is true and negitiations are ongoing, it sounds as if Pat doesnt consider Griffiths to be one of the disruptive ones :dunno: I think we all assumed he was. Who else can he be referring to? OConnor and Doherty? Stack? :dunno:

Leigh isn't yet a mature model professional. But I don't class him as the sort of guy whom I would say is a 'bad influence'.

He looks to me more like the sort of gifted bampot the likes of which we've frequently had in the past, and who often do well for the team they play for - providing they learn to curb their bampottery and stay on the park without giving the finger to their own supporters or asking the ref where he left his guide-dog.

If we did bring him back I would have no arguments - Pat always said that some of the loanees were here on approval, so to speak, and that he hoped to sign a couple of them longer-term. Jake was always assumed to be one; Leigh another.

As for the three individuals you mention by name - you might very well say that.

I couldn't possibly comment.

Nor could I if you asked about that arrogant wee so-an-so Soares.

Judas Iscariot
16-07-2012, 01:17 PM
If he's in our price bracket then DEFO sign him up..

If we can't afford the likes of Alan Maybury or his wife I'd hate to see what other strikers are within our budget :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
16-07-2012, 01:48 PM
LG's overall scoring record is 64 goals in 122 starts - given that he's 21, if he's available we should definitely try our hardest to get him.

Hopefully the silly suspensions will come to an end with age.

--------
16-07-2012, 01:50 PM
LG's overall scoring record is 64 goals in 122 starts - given that he's 21, if he's available we should definitely try our hardest to get him.

Hopefully the silly suspensions will come to an end with age.

Before he's 60, I hope! :wink:

Stevie Reid
16-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Before he's 60, I hope! :wink:

:greengrin

Last week I was all for looking elsewhere, but young players with scoring records like that aren't usually within our reach.

Phil MaGlass
16-07-2012, 01:57 PM
21 and can bang them in, theres alot more in there, sign him up.

Jim44
16-07-2012, 01:59 PM

If we can't afford the likes of Alan Maybury or his wife I'd hate to see what other strikers are within our budget :rolleyes:

What sort of money can Maybury be looking for? He can't have been breaking the bank at St Johnstone.

Andy74
16-07-2012, 02:10 PM

That's not really the point with Maybury.

He's a bit of a nice to have as it's not a priority position for us and will depend how much other business we do.

I read it that we would still have the budget for the priority positions and then we will see after that.

--------
16-07-2012, 02:14 PM
That's not really the point with Maybury.

He's a bit of a nice to have as it's not a priority position for us and will depend how much other business we do.

I read it that we would still have the budget for the priority positions and then we will see after that.

If we can move on a couple of guys like Galbraith or O'Hanlon, I think we'll make Maybury an offer.

But the big priority right now is a striker, and until that's settled I think we'll be struggling to sign anyone else.

J-C
16-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Griffiths has seemingly joined David Lloyd in Corstorphine, aint bumped into him yet but sounds like he's setting down roots if he's joined an Edinburgh Gym.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2012, 02:37 PM

If we can move on a couple of guys like Galbraith or O'Hanlon, I think we'll make Maybury an offer.

But the big priority right now is a striker, and until that's settled I think we'll be struggling to sign anyone else.

I agree we need a striker, but i'd say we also need midfielders pronto. That bunch of duffs we had last season couldn't open an envelope, never mind an SPL defence. Cairney could be decent, but we still lack width and pace, i hope someone is not going to throw in Sproule to counter that statement?

They also are terrible at protecting the back 4, its a part of the team we in my opinion are very weak in, and it showed all last season.

J-C
16-07-2012, 02:41 PM
I agree we need a striker, but i'd say we also need midfielders pronto. That bunch of duffs we had last season couldn't open an envelope, never mind an SPL defence. Cairney could be decent, but we still lack width and pace, i hope someone is not going to throw in Sproule to counter that statement?

They also are terrible at protecting the back 4, its a part of the team we in my opinion are very weak in, and it showed all last season.

I'm hearing Griffiths, Shiels and Twigg in before the season starts and Maybury if they can shift O'Hanlon/Galbraith

Dashing Bob S
16-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm hearing Griffiths, Shiels and Twigg in before the season starts and Maybury if they can shift O'Hanlon/Galbraith

Great to see us branch out into the League of Ireland in our search for players.

MrSmith
16-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Great to see us branch out into the League of Ireland in our search for players.

Leaf it out DBS, that is just an oak of a statement to maple!

jacomo
16-07-2012, 02:57 PM

Phil MaGlass
16-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Griffiths has seemingly joined David Lloyd in Corstorphine, aint bumped into him yet but sounds like he's setting down roots if he's joined an Edinburgh Gym.

doesnae say much aboot oor state of the art training facility either.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2012, 03:20 PM
These David Lloyd gym's are all over the country, if you join 1 does it give you entry to them all?

hailhail22
16-07-2012, 04:38 PM
These David Lloyd gym's are all over the country, if you join 1 does it give you entry to them all?

Nope there all different prices, I am a member of the corstorphine David Lloyd and cant use any other David lloyds and there also a 12month contract so if he has joined then........

Dibben
16-07-2012, 04:59 PM

If he signs for us, perhaps travelling out to ormiston is a bit much if he's looking to do extra training sessions!!

Would maybe show he's serious about getting fit for the season!!

J-C
16-07-2012, 05:12 PM

No it doesn't, it allows you to go to certain ones but depending on prices and where, the London ones are very expensive compared to Edinburgh, I can go to Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasow as Edinburgh is a dearer gym but not London.

J-C
16-07-2012, 05:15 PM

I think you'll find the pool, sauna , steam room and tennis courts are better than EM, plus he can take his missus and kids there. :greengrin

Plenty players go to outside gyms, more for recreation.

J-C
16-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Nope there all different prices, I am a member of the corstorphine David Lloyd and cant use any other David lloyds and there also a 12month contract so if he has joined then........

Also a 3 month payments if you want to give it up, you can use the other D Lloyds, just make sure you phone before you go, as Corstorphine is a dearer one you can use the rest.

hailhail22
16-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Also a 3 month payments if you want to give it up, you can use the other D Lloyds, just make sure you phone before you go, as Corstorphine is a dearer one you can use the rest.

Cool my apologies thanks for the info though :D

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Any more info about Griffiths coming back??

Phil MaGlass
17-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Erm my mate in Edinburgh has just told me hertz are also sniffing aboot LG,anyone else heard?

Billychaotic182
17-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Erm my mate in Edinburgh has just told me hertz are also sniffing aboot LG,anyone else heard?

Can 100% confirm this is a load o s***e

blaikie
17-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Could never see Leigh at THEM!

Deek01
17-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Tweeted me back saying he doesn't think he'll be getting any game time this pre season whilst still at wolves. Hope Hibs get the deal done soon so we can have a sharp sparky from the word go.

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Tweeted me back saying he doesn't think he'll be getting any game time this pre season whilst still at wolves. Hope Hibs get the deal done soon so we can have a sharp sparky from the word go.

Here's hoping but are Hibs interested in resigning Leigh ??

Judas Iscariot
17-07-2012, 10:33 AM

Aye sure :aok:

Deek01
17-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Here's hoping but are Hibs interested in resigning Leigh ??

He hopes so !

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 11:07 AM

Nice try. ;)

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 11:08 AM
He hopes so !

He better get his agent on the case then.

Macaroon
17-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Might be nothing, probably is, in fact. But straw clutching is the hibs.net way.

Just been tweeted by Leigh:

"off to bed, big day tomorrow :D:D:D night troops"

Wonder why it's such a big day? :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Might be nothing, probably is, in fact. But straw clutching is the hibs.net way.

He is flying out to see Hibs in Belgium ?? ;)

Jim44
17-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Can we expect any actual signings this week with PF abroad with the team? Unless of-course all the spadework was done before they left this morning. (unlikely as I'm sure the guys in the know would be shouting it from the rooftops by now)

ScottB
17-07-2012, 09:38 PM
The birth of his latest kid? :wink:

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Signing for them?

IWasThere2016
17-07-2012, 09:45 PM

We have made a "very decent offer" :wink:

Del Boy
17-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Dundee also rumoured to be interested.

East Coast Hibe
17-07-2012, 09:54 PM
I understand that we have offered Wolves to take Sparky back on loan. Wolves would rather sell him, but this might be an option until the end of the year

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I understand that we have offered Wolves to take Sparky back on loan. Wolves would rather sell him, but this might be an option until the end of the year

If that's the case we might get him at a snip of his original fee ;)

SteveHFC
17-07-2012, 10:09 PM
On Pie and bovril. Apparently Griffiths will be a hibs player by the weekend.

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 10:18 PM

I reckon they've no chance.

IWasThere2016
17-07-2012, 11:12 PM

I would agree with that.

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 11:21 PM

I very much hope this is the case :)

GGTTH07
17-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Leigh will be having talks tomorrow I've been told.. Season long loan an his deal with wolves ends next June.

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I very much hope this is the case :)

I don't! It's just the same team that failed last season minus a couple of the better players

J-C
18-07-2012, 12:12 AM
I don't! It's just the same team that failed last season minus a couple of the better players

Really ?? Griffiths scored goals in one of the worst teams in the past 30 years, he's a trier who has an eye for goal, yes a wee hot head at times but look at PF in the final, he's the same.

Tell me how it's the same team as last year..............who's left from the final............PF has got rid of all the wasters and bevvy guys, brought in 4 new players and still you moan. :confused:

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 12:13 AM
What sort of money can Maybury be looking for? He can't have been breaking the bank at St Johnstone.

3 figure sum.

No chance will he get offered over a grand a week.

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 12:18 AM

Birth of another baby. :greengrin

AlbertK86
18-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Really ?? Griffiths scored goals in one of the worst teams in the past 30 years, he's a trier who has an eye for goal, yes a wee hot head at times but look at PF in the final, he's the same.

Tell me how it's the same team as last year..............who's left from the final............PF has got rid of all the wasters and bevvy guys, brought in 4 new players and still you moan. :confused:

Still a lot of the wasters fromm the final there I'm afraid

basehibby
18-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Have had a good think about it and will be delighted if Leigh resigns with Hibs. He may be a hot head who picked up a load of ridiculous bans but the other side of that coin is a latent passion - particularly with regard to Hibs.

More importantly though - he is a proven goalscorer with natural ability and pace and we desperately need players like him right now. He may not fit perfectly into the model pro mold but good teams are made out of different characters and a bit of maverick spirit up front is often a good thing - add a target man type to the mix and I reckon we'd be chorate up front with a couple of youngsters in Caldwell and Handling pushing to get in.

J-C
18-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Still a lot of the wasters fromm the final there I'm afraid

Kujabi, Doyle, Stevenson, Mcpake, Claros, Hanlon and Sproule 2 of which were subs, not a lot from an initial 15 players named for the final itself.

You could add Osbourne but he's offski thankfully, out of the these 7 I'd only keep 2 maybe 3 and get rid of the other 4.

You can't just offload a whole squad and keep 3 players, we have players on longer contracts who'll need paying off and a some who PF might feel are better than their showing last year.

PeterboroHibee
18-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Have had a good think about it and will be delighted if Leigh resigns with Hibs. He may be a hot head who picked up a load of ridiculous bans but the other side of that coin is a latent passion - particularly with regard to Hibs.

More importantly though - he is a proven goalscorer with natural ability and pace and we desperately need players like him right now. He may not fit perfectly into the model pro mold but good teams are made out of different characters and a bit of maverick spirit up front is often a good thing - add a target man type to the mix and I reckon we'd be chorate up front with a couple of youngsters in Caldwell and Handling pushing to get in.

He has picked up a few daft suspensions, but correct me if Im wrong, I cant really think of any other incidents hes been involved in? Too many former players in recent years have been involved in their fair share of off the pitch controversies, ranging from fights, various fines, boozing, not turning up for training and so on. Cant think of him ever being caught up in anything like that?

Hes a talented player, and provided he can cut those incidents on the pitch out, he would be an excellent signing.

Hermit Crab
18-07-2012, 09:16 AM

At least he actually wants to play for the badge. That's what matters mate.

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-07-2012, 10:04 AM
At least he actually wants to play for the badge. That's what matters mate.

I would give my left ball to 'play for the badge' but it doesn't make me better than any other. This is why guys like Stevenson flatters to deceive, when it all boils down all he really does is 'play for the badge' and we need more than that. Griffiths is similar, all heart and very little product. He also isn't the type of player we need.
Am currently reding ted bracks book about big frank and it's funny how guys like frank, Russell and mixu demonstrated their ability first then, what blossomed from this was an ability to 'play for the badge'.

S4uzee
18-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Had a look on their forum and they feel they have a chance which maybe they do, however one said that hibs seem more cash strapped than Dundee hahahah :greengrin

Gatecrasher
18-07-2012, 11:27 AM
he will be a great addition to the squad. he just needs to keep the heid

Hermit Crab
18-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Had a look on their forum and they feel they have a chance which maybe they do, however one said that hibs seem more cash strapped than Dundee hahahah :greengrin

Their having a laugh eh, got a link??

Macaroon
18-07-2012, 11:45 AM
I would give my left ball to 'play for the badge' but it doesn't make me better than any other. This is why guys like Stevenson flatters to deceive, when it all boils down all he really does is 'play for the badge' and we need more than that. Griffiths is similar, all heart and very little product. He also isn't the type of player we need.
Am currently reding ted bracks book about big frank and it's funny how guys like frank, Russell and mixu demonstrated their ability first then, what blossomed from this was an ability to 'play for the badge'.

What? Sorry but that is ridiculous.

He scored 11 goals in 31 appearances for Hibs. Which is almost identical to the goals to game ratio of Derek Riordan in all his appearances for Hibs. Then compare the midfield and supply that Griffiths recieved compared to Riordan. I think we would all take Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson and Beuzelin over last season's midfield.

Leigh did fantastically well for the circumstances that he was in. Talent is not the issue. The problem is whether he has the right attitude or not. He's still only 21 and has been one of the most successful strikers Hibs have had over the last few seasons. How you can think that he produced little product is beyond me.

Captain Trips
18-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Every garbage hibs squad has always had 2 or 3 players whom were better than most at club. LG for me is in that 2 or 3. I would be keen to see him again to see if he can do better with a hopefully better team.

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-07-2012, 11:56 AM

He scored 11 goals in 31 appearances for Hibs. Which is almost identical to the goals to game ratio of Derek Riordan in all his appearances for Hibs. Then compare the midfield and supply that Griffiths recieved compared to Riordan. I think we would all take Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson and Beuzelin over last season's midfield.

Leigh did fantastically well for the circumstances that he was in. Talent is not the issue. The problem is whether he has the right attitude or not. He's still only 21 and has been one of the most successful strikers Hibs have had over the last few seasons. How you can think that he produced little product is beyond me.

I take your point. He scored goals in a very very poor Hibs team. This cannot be ignored. His attitude also has to improve as it costed us.
However, perhaps what I was getting at is he plays for himself. He offers nothing from a team perspective. We need a striker who can bring others into the game and allow a midfield to get forward. If we signed a forward like this I think Griffiths would be a good signing but not before. We should not blow all our budget on him in my opinion,

SneakersO'Toole
18-07-2012, 11:56 AM
If we are planning to sign more than one striker then more than happy to have LG as one of those.

If we only have budget for one then for me we need a proper target man. Someone who can bring others into play and the ball stick.

Macaroon
18-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I take your point. He scored goals in a very very poor Hibs team. This cannot be ignored. His attitude also has to improve as it costed us.
However, perhaps what I was getting at is he plays for himself. He offers nothing from a team perspective. We need a striker who can bring others into the game and allow a midfield to get forward. If we signed a forward like this I think Griffiths would be a good signing but not before. We should not blow all our budget on him in my opinion,

If it is a loan deal I doubt any of the budget would be used. Unless Wolves want us to pay his full wages. And I think that, last season, Leigh was forced to play for himself. The midfield lacked all creativity and I do not remember a single killer pass that led to a goal last season, except the semi-final and that was from a Striker. Leigh was given the ball 40 yards out and the midfield would stand there static as none of them had the desire (or ability imo) to go forward and support. So Leigh was left there on his own with an immobile strike partner to make a chance for himself. There was no-one to bring into play. Hopefully, this season with a bit of Re-jigging and playing Wotherspoon in behind the strikers with Cairney also supporting, that will not be an issue and Leigh will be able to play in a much more fluid system.

That's the theory, anyway :rolleyes:

allezsauzee
18-07-2012, 12:03 PM
If we are planning to sign more than one striker then more than happy to have LG as one of those.

If we only have budget for one then for me we need a proper target man. Someone who can bring others into play and the ball stick.

If we are not planning to sign more than one striker , I fear we are in for another season fighting relegation.

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-07-2012, 12:05 PM
We had Wotherspoon available last year and he was never used in a creative midfielder type way, or only very sparingly.
Hopefully the Partick lad will do the business but we have just sold one of our better midfielders so I don't envisage things changing too much. Same midfield brutes of Claros and Stevenson with Fenlon's selection of central midfielders being asked to do a job out wise as opposed to solving the problem and buying wingers.

Macaroon
18-07-2012, 12:08 PM

I think Pat sees that target man in the form of Ross Caldwell.

I just get the feeling that, with so little width and so little creativity in the midfield, even if we do sign the right strikers they will be left isolated and cut off. This may be a terrible idea, but I'd love to see what we did pre-Mowbray and give youngsters complete responsibility up front. With Riordan and O'Connor just breaking through they were the strike partnership and were very effective. I think if we invest in real quality out wide and in midfield. We would get away with playing Caldwell and Handling up top. With good service even they can stick away a good chance as well as Doyle, Griffiths etc can.

Both of them, from what I've been hearing, are very promising and have bags of potential talent. Why not, for once, let that potential flourish and actually give them a chance to fulfill it, something that recent managers have been so poor at doing to the point that the youngsters started going backwards.

My two pence, anyway. :cb

S4uzee
18-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Their having a laugh eh, got a link??

Haha I know

http://www.dundeefc.co.uk/dfcforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30582&whichpage=2
Post by Cardiff Blue

Hermit Crab
18-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Haha I know

http://www.dundeefc.co.uk/dfcforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30582&whichpage=2
Post by Cardiff Blue

Thank for that. Cloud cuckoo land that lot........

bawheid
18-07-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/edinburgh/ex-hibs-star-charged-over-row-1-2333054

Have to say I find it ironic that you of all Hibs.netters is posting up a link like that.

You're quick to jump down others' throats when anything is said about Derek's off-field dramas, but quite happy to pile the same type of nonsense on top of other players.

Hermit Crab
18-07-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/edinburgh/ex-hibs-star-charged-over-row-1-2333054

Old news from the 1st June.

East Coast Hibe
18-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Dropped anyway

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Have to say I find it ironic that you of all Hibs.netters is posting up a link like that.

You're quick to jump down others' throats when anything is said about Derek's off-field dramas, but quite happy to pile the same type of nonsense on top of other players.

He asked a question, i posted a link to an incident. A link, nothing else, i never said anything bad about the player, didn't pile any nonsense on top of the player.

Infact i will just delete it.

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 03:56 PM

Did you read the post i responded too.

erin-go-bragh87
18-07-2012, 04:56 PM
We had Wotherspoon available last year and he was never used in a creative midfielder type way, or only very sparingly.
Hopefully the Partick lad will do the business but we have just sold one of our better midfielders so I don't envisage things changing too much. Same midfield brutes of Claros and Stevenson with Fenlon's selection of central midfielders being asked to do a job out wise as opposed to solving the problem and buying wingers.

If you think Wotherspoon is the answer I would hate to think what the question, most of the players we have all slagged on here for being poor last season at least had one good game. I can't ever remember Wotherspoon having a good game since his first season.

Macaroon
18-07-2012, 05:14 PM
If you think Wotherspoon is the answer I would hate to think what the question, most of the players we have all slagged on here for being poor last season at least had one good game. I can't ever remember Wotherspoon having a good game since his first season.

He was being played out of position. He has been great for Scotland sitting just behind the strikers and it looks like PF is finally realising that.

AlbertK86
18-07-2012, 05:20 PM
He was being played out of position. He has been great for Scotland sitting just behind the strikers and it looks like PF is finally realising that.

Great - eh nah

Macaroon
18-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Great - eh nah

Good god, apparently one of the 11 best youngsters in Scottish football isn't good enough for Hibs. Why don't you give him a chance in the position he actually plays :rolleyes:

AlbertK86
18-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Opinions - saw him a few times for 21s and did nae think he was great.

Had really high hopes for him a couple of years ago when he first broke through but he hasn't fulfilled his promise.

Would love to see him to come good but never kicked a ball for Hibs last season.

Part/Time Supporter
18-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Opinions - saw him a few times for 21s and did nae think he was great.

Had really high hopes for him a couple of years ago when he first broke through but he hasn't fulfilled his promise.

Would love to see him to come good but never kicked a ball for Hibs last season.

So the guy who scored winning goals in key games (semi-final, ICT away, Dunfy away) for a bad team "never kicked a ball", but a guy who scored one goal all season and hardly created anything was the "best midfielder".

Right.

:confused:

Macaroon
18-07-2012, 06:08 PM
So the guy who scored winning goals in key games (semi-final, ICT away, Dunfy away) for a bad team "never kicked a ball", but a guy who scored one goal all season and hardly created anything was the "best midfielder".

Right.

He was talking about Spoony pal.

And the reason he "never kicked a ball" last season was because he was played out wide where he is uncomfortable. He doesn't have the pace to be a winger.

Part/Time Supporter
18-07-2012, 06:11 PM

And the reason he "never kicked a ball" last season was because he was played out wide where he is uncomfortable. He doesn't have the pace to be a winger.

Ah, okay. There was me thinking the thread was about Griffiths. How tangental this board can be.

IWasThere2016
18-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Ah, okay. There was me thinking the thread was about Griffiths. How tangental this board can be.

Some posters are slow also :wink:

Andy74
18-07-2012, 06:14 PM
He mentioned that as a problem last week and something he wants to address so he wasn't playing so many central players put of real choice.

Andy74
18-07-2012, 06:17 PM

He has hardly played there for anyone. Played for the 19s at left midfield. Funny that successive managers all seem to have failed to find that correct position for him. Does it exist?

AlbertK86
18-07-2012, 06:20 PM

Right.

Sorry should have been a quote to the previous post.
I'm discussing Spoony with the original poster !

If you thought it was Griffiths - apologies. I'd definitely have Leigh back

Tyler Durden
18-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Wotherspoon got a run of games at centre mid after Fenlon took over and he was largely still gash. He's also had chances to play behind the striker and he's offered little.

His only consistent run of form was his first season playing at RB.

There's no chance he's the answer to our midfield problems this season.

AlbertK86
18-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Wotherspoon got a run of games at centre mid after Fenlon took over and he was largely still gash. He's also had chances to play behind the striker and he's offered little.

His only consistent run of form was his first season playing at RB.

There's no chance he's the answer to our midfield problems this season.

Spot on mate

In an ideal world it would be Cairney plus three new

Would however accept Claros Cairney plus two - if Ozzy gone

KayleighHibees
18-07-2012, 07:36 PM
So, has Leigh came back!?
I hope he has! :-D

Also, congrats to hibs for drawing 1-1 today... Though you have to say we played much better than that other team, whos name i cant even pronounce. :greengrin

And, happy birthday to hibby andy, everyone wish him a happy birthday! :flag::flag:

Tyler Durden
18-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I think Doyle's played a lot of his football at left wing. If we're setting up with a 5 man midfield I think he could do a job wide left in a Riordan type role.

All hinges on bringing in a striker who can play up top alone though.

147lothian
18-07-2012, 10:18 PM

Griffiths would be a brilliant signing, it wasn't just his goals but also his assists. Last season was the worst midfield i've ever seen at Hibs and if he can look the part in that team it certainly says something about his ability. If you also think of his age just 21 and the fact that he can only get better. Giffiths will be a complete asset to the team if we get him, I think he's worth pushing the boat out for

Hermit Crab
19-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Anyone in the know tells us what's happening with Leigh in regards to resigning ??

Jim44
19-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Griffiths would be a brilliant signing, it wasn't just his goals but also his assists. Last season was the worst midfield i've ever seen at Hibs and if he can look the part in that team it certainly says something about his ability. If you also think of his age just 21 and the fact that he can only get better. Giffiths will be a complete asset to the team if we get him, I think he's worth pushing the boat out for

Hibs don't do 'pushing the boat out', however.

HFC_NYC
20-07-2012, 03:41 PM
He just posted on Twitter that he is "buzzing for an early start tomorrow" so I asked if he was joining up with the Hibs squad, to which he replied, "who knows?" Maybe nothing, but you never know.

S4uzee
20-07-2012, 04:19 PM
He just posted on Twitter that he is "buzzing for an early start tomorrow" so I asked if he was joining up with the Hibs squad, to which he replied, "who knows?" Maybe nothing, but you never know.

He's a tease, hopefully he signs :flag:

thebakerboy
20-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Just seen him in Tesco at Hardengreen and saw him in Bonnyrigg last weekend so he is definitely staying around here at the present , tried to grab a word but lost him and didn't see him again.He walked past my house last week so going to keep my eyes open.

Gmack7
20-07-2012, 05:39 PM
make sure you dont scare him away

Northernhibee
20-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Couple of the guys over on the Bounce seem confident he's announced on Monday as a season long loan deal which would take him to the end of his Wolves contract.

Hermit Crab
20-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Couple of the guys over on the Bounce seem confident he's announced on Monday as a season long loan deal which would take him to the end of his Wolves contract.

Good news if true.

H18sry
21-07-2012, 07:49 AM
LEIGH GRIFFTHIS has signed for HIBS and was boarding the flight to Amsterdam to meet up with his team mates on tour welcome back wee man .