PDA

View Full Version : Credit where its due

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 02:17 PM
For years fans have moaned about the type of signings we have made so how about a bit credit where its due:

Ben Williams- goalkeeper with over 300 appearances and at 29 just hitting his peak. Coming from a level comparable to the SPL.

Tim Clancy - Consistent performer for a team who.finished above us and who wanted to keep him.

James McPake - Already proved what he can do in a Hibs jersey. Big personality and a leader.

Paul Cairney - Goalscoring midfielder from the lower leagues who seems hungry to make the step up.

Don't get me wrong there is still a long way to go but the 4 signing we have made thus far show me that we appear to have some idea what direction we are going in.

Well done Hibs.

Diclonius
10-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Considering the first four signings of last season were Sproule, O'Connor, O'Hanlon and Agogo this appears to be a step up.

Andy74
10-07-2012, 02:25 PM
To be fair every year we can point to the same thing. We've signed players from Liverpool, Aston Villa, captain of a Dutch team, decent Championship players, Central American internationals etc etc.

The proof is in whether they are the right characters at the right time and if that translates to the pitch. Promising though but I've been there before. That's why I find it hard to criticise the Board on signings as they always provide the players, the managers just don't get them right though.

Franck Stanton
10-07-2012, 02:29 PM
For years fans have moaned about the type of signings we have made so how about a bit credit where its due:

Ben Williams- goalkeeper with over 300 appearances and at 29 just hitting his peak. Coming from a level comparable to the SPL.

Tim Clancy - Consistent performer for a team who.finished above us and who wanted to keep him.

James McPake - Already proved what he can do in a Hibs jersey. Big personality and a leader.

Paul Cairney - Goalscoring midfielder from the lower leagues who seems hungry to make the step up.

Don't get me wrong there is still a long way to go but the 4 signing we have made thus far show me that we appear to have some idea what direction we are going in.

Well done Hibs.

Yup, credit where credit is due, we seem to be going about our busines in a quiet yet efficent way. At this stage have to admit the players signed appear to be of a good standard and the manager appears to know who/what he wants and the Board, often maligned, have done their best [makes a change], to bring in 1st choices and not as in the past, 2nd/3rd choice players at the last minute. [ Ooops, appear to have slipped into moaning mood towards end of my post.]

frazeHFC
10-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Yep good start. :thumbsup:

Northernhibee
10-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon Kujabi

New RM Cairney Osbourne New LM

Doyle New CF

Promise in there - get a couple of wingers in and a man who can bang in the goals and we're there! FWIW, I think we could see Doyle be near the fifteen to twenty goal mark this season - evidently building on his upper body strength, he's got a good footballing brain and I expect to see some crap defensive line-ups this coming season.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon Kujabi

New RM Cairney Osbourne New LM

Doyle New CF

Promise in there - get a couple of wingers in and a man who can bang in the goals and we're there! FWIW, I think we could see Doyle be near the fifteen to twenty goal mark this season - evidently building on his upper body strength, he's got a good footballing brain and I expect to see some crap defensive line-ups this coming season.

I still reckon Booth or Kujabi could be worth a shot at LM although that obviously just leaves another gap to fill anyway.

Stevie Reid
10-07-2012, 03:11 PM
FWIW, I think we could see Doyle be near the fifteen to twenty goal mark this season - evidently building on his upper body strength, he's got a good footballing brain and I expect to see some crap defensive line-ups this coming season.

I'm optimistic about Doyle too - he finds good wee pockets of space, has a good first touch and a few tricks up his sleeve too. I reckon Fenlon will be looking for a partner for him, he clearly rates him.

Aldo
10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Well done to PF and the board... Good signings so far.

Have a funny feeling there may be more announced by the end of week??

Wheat Hound
10-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Well done to PF and the board... Good signings so far.

Have a funny feeling there may be more announced by the end of week??

Byron Moore, Dean Shiels and Stephen McManus?

Aldo
10-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Byron Moore, Dean Shiels and Stephen McManus?

Where's this info coming from WH??

Monts
10-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Considering the first four signings of last season were Sproule, O'Connor, O'Hanlon and Agogo this appears to be a step up.

I think when those 4 were announced people were very happy!

JHFC
10-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I rate Doyle. Some of the paces he made in our 4-0 win over Dunf were class, his movemeant is good and he put away a few goals with not much game time.

Hopefully he shines next season!

wearethehibs
10-07-2012, 03:55 PM

If I remember correctly we were all jizzing over those signings.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Every year we have folk thinking we have signed the new Messi and Ronaldo, at the same time we have threads on who we think will come 3rd, 2nd this season. And on the strength of these new signing we end up top of the list of teams we think will finish 3rd/2nd.

Any credit thats due, will be forthcoming from me as soon as i see improvement, and even more credit will come if we get to a sufficient level i think we should be at.

PatHead
10-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Every year we have folk thinking we have signed the new Messi and Ronaldo, at the same time we have threads on who we think will come 3rd, 2nd this season. And on the strength of these new signing we end up top of the list of teams we think will finish 3rd/2nd.

Any credit thats due, will be forthcoming from me as soon as i see improvement, and even more credit will come if we get to a sufficient level i think we should be at.

Spoilsport:na na:

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 04:14 PM

Not me.

O'Connor I was happy with and his goal return if not all his performances.proved he was a worthwhile signing.

The other 3 I couldn't have cared less about and was actively critical of the resigning of Sproule.

Every player we have signed this year was a first pick at the clubs they played at last season ( if we count McPake as being a Hibs player last season). Can the same be said of any of the signings at this stage last season?

frazeHFC
10-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Stevenson > Osbourne for me. Osbourne is a better player but never looks interested. Having been one of the only ones to give 100% each week and by far our POTY imo Stevenson should not lose his place to a lazy oaf.

yekimevol
10-07-2012, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=Northernhibee;3290084]
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon booth

Spoony Cairney Osbourne kujabi

New Cf New CF

I would be willing to give spoony a chance in the midfield. Don't like ozzy much but he is not the worst at the club, would be prefer a de jong type. A left midfielder and two strikers would be at the top of my list now.

Bobby's Cinema
10-07-2012, 04:49 PM
To be fair every year we can point to the same thing. We've signed players from Liverpool, Aston Villa, captain of a Dutch team, decent Championship players, Central American internationals etc etc.

The proof is in whether they are the right characters at the right time and if that translates to the pitch. Promising though but I've been there before. That's why I find it hard to criticise the Board on signings as they always provide the players, the managers just don't get them right though.
:agree: Tend to agree with you. promising stuff though

Ozyhibby
10-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Hard to get too excited yet. If the Huns are shoehorned back into the league anywhere but Div 3 where any other club would be then I'll never see the new players.
Still, it looks like some quality at long last. :-)

IWasThere2016
10-07-2012, 05:28 PM
We need more, and soon IMHO. But so far so good :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Its a little funny how we are asking for credit because we have signed a couple of players, but we struggle to give credit and get fully behind the club/team when we are up there punching our weight in 4th?

Strange. :confused:

weecounty hibby
10-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Its a little funny how we are asking for credit because we have signed a couple of players, but we struggle to give credit and get fully behind the club/team when we are up there punching our weight in 4th?

Strange. :confused:
You are a cantankerousness old *******:wink:.
I think these have all been decent signings but it shows how far and how quickly our standards have dropped that we are getting all excited about them when as you say not that long ago we were qualifying for Europe. To be fair it was by the skin of our teeth and with some very average players.

Wheat Hound
10-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Where's this info coming from WH??

Sorry Aldo. Nothing concrete, just a combination of different rumours from elsewhere, although I have heard from a decent source Deano is definitely wanted by PF.

Gez1875
10-07-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm optimistic about Doyle too - he finds good wee pockets of space, has a good first touch and a few tricks up his sleeve too. I reckon Fenlon will be looking for a partner for him, he clearly rates him.

yeah..... i think doyle's going on to big things, his movement and positional play is second to none, he'll be one of those strikers that take 2 defenders with him wherever he goes on the pitch.

Gez1875
10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Northernhibee;3290084]
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon booth

Spoony Cairney Osbourne kujabi

New Cf New CF

I would be willing to give spoony a chance in the midfield. Don't like ozzy much but he is not the worst at the club, would be prefer a de jong type. A left midfielder and two strikers would be at the top of my list now.

wotherspoon showed so much promise when he first started with us, but i think he has dwindled away to nothing, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to pressure as everyone looked to him as the golden boy and savour....but all last season and the season before i've done nothing but complain about him....... i wont be surprised if he doesnt show up next season either......he's frustrating more than anything.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2012, 06:23 PM
You are a cantankerousness old *******:wink:.
I think these have all been decent signings but it shows how far and how quickly our standards have dropped that we are getting all excited about them when as you say not that long ago we were qualifying for Europe. To be fair it was by the skin of our teeth and with some very average players.

:greengrin I know imagine qualifying for europe by the skin of our teeth?

Perhaps we should only do it by winning the Scottish cup, or finishing 20 points clear of the 5th place team? Maybe then, when we have something to give them credit with, we'd actually do so?

sahib
10-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Ben Williams- goalkeeper with over 300 appearances and at 29 just hitting his peak. Coming from a level comparable to the SPL.Tim Clancy - Consistent performer for a team who.finished above us and who wanted to keep him.

Well done Hibs.

Similar background to Simon Brown who was not as bad as some people said.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Similar background to Simon Brown who was not as bad as some people said.

His very first game at easter road, he let in a shot from Chris Boyd that any keeper apart from Zibi should have saved. Chocolate wrists that let his shot go in.

There were other gaffs, too numerous to mention, but the game at Tynecastle, where he guided the ball into the net to the astonishment of a packed Hibs end should have seen him never play again for us.

Lets not rewrite history here, Simon Brown is a poor keeper.

Aldo
10-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Sorry Aldo. Nothing concrete, just a combination of different rumours from elsewhere, although I have heard from a decent source Deano is definitely wanted by PF.

Nae probs matey. Thanks for that. Cheers

Jones28
10-07-2012, 07:00 PM

O'Connor and Sproule aye, wasn't sure about Agogo and O'Hanlon as all I'd heard were reports from folk on here.

Strangely enough the best out of those 4 has left, O'Connor too :greengrin

Seriously thought getting rid of the Soj was a bad idea but luckily we managed. Thought he had a presence and a bit of pace, as well as being infinatly more fit than GOC.

Have to say I'm delighted with the signings made so far - couldn't have thought anyone on this board would be turning their noses up at any of them.

Speedway
10-07-2012, 08:06 PM
We need more, and soon IMHO. But so far so good :thumbsup:

I'm going to take a moment here and I hope people from the club read this.

In the most challenging time for Scottish Football in living memory, when our team has spent the last few seasons flushing the work of Mowbray down the gary glitter, when we are skint; the manager and board have still managed to bring a highly regarded keeper in his prime to the club in the face of other offers.

It remains to be seen if he's any good for us but just getting him here right now is a 'coup'.

Very well done Hibs, I hope he repays your efforts with performances.

Haggis Hibby
10-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon Smith

Claros

Osbourne Stevenson Booth

Cairney

Doyle

Looks not too shabby imho....
i expect claros to be a better player for us next season now his family is over...
LS was our best and most consistant performer so i expect more of the same....
if Ozzy gets fitter and can last a full game i think he will be quality..

Would like at least another striker so we can alter our formation.... add sproule and galbraith and we have pace down the wings to attack...

I think PF has shown a good eye for a player.... its getting them blended into a team thats gonna be the important thing..

sahib
10-07-2012, 08:30 PM
His very first game at easter road, he let in a shot from Chris Boyd that any keeper apart from Zibi should have saved. Chocolate wrists that let his shot go in.

There were other gaffs, too numerous to mention, but the game at Tynecastle, where he guided the ball into the net to the astonishment of a packed Hibs end should have seen him never play again for us.

He played loads of times for Colchester same as this guy though.

Monts
10-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Williams

Claros

Osbourne Stevenson

Cairney

Doyle

i expect claros to be a better player for us next season now his family is over...

Would like at least another striker so we can alter our formation.... add sproule and galbraith and we have pace down the wings to attack...

I think PF has shown a good eye for a player.... its getting them blended into a team thats gonna be the important thing..
Think we could probably do with an 11th player :greengrin

Haggis Hibby
10-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Think we could probably do with an 11th player :greengrin

PMSL..... na i think we should give the other teams a chance,,,,,,, where is the edit buttom:cb

Scouse Hibee
10-07-2012, 09:20 PM
yeah..... i think doyle's going on to big things, his movement and positional play is second to none, he'll be one of those strikers that take 2 defenders with him wherever he goes on the pitch.

Eh? How you can come out with that statement is totally beyond me! This is the same Doyle that played for us last season yeah?

I hope he has a good season too but folk on here have turned him into some sort of top striker during the close season mainly due to his one best performance last season I just don't get it.

BEEJ
10-07-2012, 09:47 PM
:greengrin I know imagine qualifying for europe by the skin of our teeth?

Perhaps we should only do it by winning the Scottish cup, or finishing 20 points clear of the 5th place team? Maybe then, when we have something to give them credit with, we'd actually do so?
Or you could say that the three months from mid-February 2010 until the end of that season was symptomatic of a team with deep-rooted problems. Problems which the Manager was unable to resolve when we launched in to season 2010/11 and we continued to spiral down from there.

So the 'grumbling at finishing 4th' is just another Hibs.net myth. The grumbling at that time was about team performances and results which were consistently poor over a period of months. And unfortunately those negative observations amongst the support turned out to be bang on the money, as the start to the following season demonstrated.

However, you keep banging on about that period in your own revisionist style and I'm sure you'll have most folks brainwashed in no time. :greengrin

erin go bragh
10-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Williams

Claros

Osbourne Stevenson Booth

Cairney

Doyle

Would like at least another striker so we can alter our formation.... add sproule :no way:and galbraith :no way:and we have pace down the wings to attack...

Both of them should be replaced with fresh wingers that can actually beat a man .

We will toil this season if we dont get some width in the team .

ggtth

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Or you could say that the three months from mid-February 2010 until the end of that season was symptomatic of a team with deep-rooted problems. Problems which the Manager was unable to resolve when we launched in to season 2010/11 and we continued to spiral down from there.

So the 'grumbling at finishing 4th' is just another Hibs.net myth. The grumbling at that time was about team performances and results which were consistently poor over a period of months. And unfortunately those negative observations amongst the support turned out to be bang on the money, as the start to the following season demonstrated.

However, you keep banging on about that period in your own revisionist style and I'm sure you'll have most folks brainwashed in no time. :greengrin

I will keep going on about our achievements, as its not too often we qualify for europe, so no matter how we did it, i'm happy.

As usual we want more than we get, and instead of getting behind that team in its adversity, and helping them back to the very good form and results the previous 7 months they'd given, we couldn't wait to get the boot in.

There was an awful smell at that time, of folk who couldn't wait for Hughes to fail in my opinion, and any result he did get was never given the CREDIT it deserved, but when we lost it was a disastrous performance.

If we could take one thing from the old firm fans, and i despise both of them, it would be the kind of support they give their team when a goal or two behind.

Gez1875
11-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Eh? How you can come out with that statement is totally beyond me! This is the same Doyle that played for us last season yeah?

I hope he has a good season too but folk on here have turned him into some sort of top striker during the close season mainly due to his one best performance last season I just don't get it.

did you watch him at all mate???

ALF TUPPER
11-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Yeah. Well done Hibbys. Good to see players coming in despite being skint.

A few more needed Rodders purleeez. I'm confident we'll get bodies in

Scouse Hibee
11-07-2012, 06:31 PM
did you watch him at all mate???

Yes I did and saw some average performances coupled with a couple of good ones, certainly he did not perform anywhere near the level to be described as second to none as you have done!

Gez1875
11-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Yes I did and saw some average performances coupled with a couple of good ones, certainly he did not perform anywhere near the level to be described as second to none as you have done!

i said his positional play and movement was second to none, i did think he was severely lacking match practice but its obvious the bloke has a footballing brain......unlike some.

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2012, 08:51 PM
i said his positional play and movement was second to none, i did think he was severely lacking match practice but its obvious the bloke has a footballing brain......unlike some.

:confused: Its statements like that, that give me a good chuckle.

Scouse Hibee
11-07-2012, 10:16 PM

Yes I know that's what you said and I find it a bizarre statement to make about Doyle going by his performances for Hibs so far!

jacomo
11-07-2012, 10:51 PM

Simon Brown was absolute sh*te. IMO the worst player at Hibs in recent times, and he faces some tough competition on that front.

jacomo
11-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Yeah. Well done Hibbys. Good to see players coming in despite being skint.

A few more needed Rodders purleeez. I'm confident we'll get bodies in

I guess a lot of clubs are skint this summer, which acts as some kind of leveller. :greengrin Plus the wrath of the Hibs support is no doubt helping a few decisions to be made.