PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams confirmed 2 year deal

Speedway
10-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Ben Williams rumour is gathering pace online.

S4uzee
10-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Ben Williams rumour is gathering pace online.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/teams/colchesterunited

Rivers Cuomo
10-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Brilliant signing if it comes off, Kudos to the guy that mentioned this on the PM board ages ago.

Andy74
10-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Good keeper and one some Championship clubs seemed to be keen on.

Looks very much like Fenlon is going for less signings but getting good players in key positions.

SlickShoes
10-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Looks very much like Fenlon is going for less signings but getting good players in key positions.

Don't get too excited, as soon as he makes his first mistake the forum will be full of the usual posts berating hibs for signing ***** keepers.

Andy74
10-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Williams signed for Colchester United for £60,000 on 10 July 2009. He made his debut in a 7–1 away win over Norwich City on 8 August 2009. His first clean sheet of the 2009–10 season came against Southampton in a 0–0 draw on 5 September 2009. He since kept a further 16 clean sheets during his debut season and has not only established himself as Colchester United's first choice goalkeeper, but has also become a favourite with the U's faithful due to his assured, commanding performances. These solid performances led to Ben Williams winning three Player of the Season Awards at the end of the 2009/10 season for Colchester United, including both the CUSA home and away player of the year awards as voted for by fans and also the Official Player of the Year Award. He decided to leave Colchester when his contract expired in June 2012 in order to follow his desire of playing in the Championship.

S4uzee
10-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Williams signed for Colchester United for £60,000 on 10 July 2009. He made his debut in a 7–1 away win over Norwich City on 8 August 2009. His first clean sheet of the 2009–10 season came against Southampton in a 0–0 draw on 5 September 2009. He since kept a further 16 clean sheets during his debut season and has not only established himself as Colchester United's first choice goalkeeper, but has also become a favourite with the U's faithful due to his assured, commanding performances. These solid performances led to Ben Williams winning three Player of the Season Awards at the end of the 2009/10 season for Colchester United, including both the CUSA home and away player of the year awards as voted for by fans and also the Official Player of the Year Award. He decided to leave Colchester when his contract expired in June 2012 in order to follow his desire of playing in the Championship.
can't ask for more than that really. Although once he signs for hibs ........

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Good signing if it comes off.

Starting to look quite solid at the back with McPake, Clancy and hopefully a promising goalkeeper signed.

Thecat23
10-07-2012, 01:59 PM
He's signed now.

BREAKING NEWS: Goalkeeper Ben Williams has signed for Hibernian. The 29-year-old has agreed a two year deal

Off the bar
10-07-2012, 02:01 PM
confirmation on club website, Williams signs

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120710/williams-signs-for-hibernian_2262950_2837380

Andy74
10-07-2012, 02:02 PM
He's signed now.

BREAKING NEWS: Goalkeeper Ben Williams has signed for Hibernian. The 29-year-old has agreed a two year deal

Yep. On official site. http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/LatestNewsIndex/0,,10290,00.html

jamieross
On hibs twitter too! :flag:

Hibtastic

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120710/williams-signs-for-hibernian_2262950_2837380

Looks like a cracking signing!!! :thumbsup:

BEEJ
10-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Now that is an an encouraging signing. Good news, indeed!

Welcome to ER, Ben. :pfgwa

(Does this mean that Mark Brown will soon be offski then?)

hibsbollah
10-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Big Bad Ben Williams :aok:

Welcome.

Edit. Jambo colchester fan (must be the only one) at my work spewing...says hes good, 'makes some unbelievable saves'

Chuck Rhoades
10-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Welcome Ben.

stokesmessiah
10-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Welcome aboard :flag::flag:

cabbageandribs1875
i've lost touch the last few weeks, what top is that Ben williams is wearing in the pic on official site ? is it just a training one or whit ?

Northernhibee
Welcome to the Cabbage, Ben :flag:

Well done Nutsy, things are looking more promising for next season.

Stevie Reid
10-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Over 300 appearances, definitely the experience we need, great age too :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Good signing.

Hopefully the moaning will subside for Oooh 5 minutes.

Rivers Cuomo
10-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Really happy with this signing.

Northernhibee
10-07-2012, 02:12 PM
These signings are showing far more ambition than CC ever showed. Cairney - highly rated attacking midfielder on his way up, McPake - a rock solid leader, Clancy - coming from a team looking forward to the Champions League qualifiers and now Williams-a leader, a highly rated keeper who had interest from Championship clubs.

Exactly what we need - a bit of ambition. Keep them coming!

matty_f
10-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Didn't see a separate thread. We have a keeper. :agree:

Greenblood70
10-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Seems like a bit of a coup getting this boy...well done to all concerned. Lets get a decent centre forward in now and that will be a decent spine to the team that we can build round.

CallumLaidlaw
These signings are showing far more ambition than CC ever showed. Cairney - highly rated attacking midfielder on his way up, McPake - a rock solid leader, Clancy - coming from a team looking forward to the Champions League qualifiers and now Williams-a leader, a highly rated keeper who had interest from Championship clubs.

Exactly what we need - a bit of ambition. Keep them coming!

I am happy with the look of Fenlons signings, BUT were CC's signings that bad on paper? Ozzy & Pallson - highly rated youngster from the EPL, O'Hanlon - commanding centre half from a club where he had been player of the season, Griffiths - young talented goalscorer on loan from the EPL who was also a Hibee. O'Connor - experienced striker who'd amassed over £4m in transfer fees.

I'm liking that we're building from the back tho. Left back, 2 wingers and striker still to come at least I hope.

Stevie Reid
Over 300 appearances, definitely the experience we need, great age too :thumbsup:

I should add that I'm also much more excited about who the striker we bring in may be after a signing of this calibre.

If bringing in the likes of Maybury and Kerr (I know that they haven't signed) means that we can spend a bit more on bigger priorities, then it makes sense IMO.

Off the bar
10-07-2012, 02:23 PM
any rumours on signing some strikers?

new signings look good to me, but seams like as we've shut the door at the back we've no outlet upfront. IMO Doyle is very light weight

frazeHFC
10-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Cheers for that, sounds promising! :thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
10-07-2012, 02:26 PM
any rumours on signing some strikers?

new signings look good to me, but seams like as we've shut the door at the back we've no outlet upfront. IMO Doyle is very light weight

I think that Doyle has looked excellent at times for us, and would be the perfect foil for a big target man - the fact that we were prepared to have a look at Kyle suggests that we are looking for one.

Andy74
10-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I am happy with the look of Fenlons signings, BUT were CC's signings that bad on paper? Ozzy & Pallson - highly rated youngster from the EPL, O'Hanlon - commanding centre half from a club where he had been player of the season, Griffiths - young talented goalscorer on loan from the EPL who was also a Hibee. O'Connor - experienced striker who'd amassed over £4m in transfer fees.

I'm liking that we're building from the back tho. Left back, 2 wingers and striker still to come at least I hope.

Just said similar on another thread. Then think of De Graaf, Hart, Miller, Stokes, even Maka and O'Brien!
Let's see how they translate to the pitch!

Thecat23
10-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Very happy with this signing. Looks to be a solid keeper. Welcome to the club Ben. :thumbsup:

Diclonius
10-07-2012, 02:30 PM
From Wikipedia:

"He decided to leave Colchester when his contract expired in June 2012 in order to follow his desire of playing in the Championship."

Admittedly this is unsourced but why on earth did he choose to come to us? :confused:

Piqué
10-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Sounds like another good signing! Let's add a couple more players of this calibre and get a few more solid squad players in and things will be starting to look very positive.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 02:35 PM
From Wikipedia:

"He decided to leave Colchester when his contract expired in June 2012 in order to follow his desire of playing in the Championship."

Admittedly this is unsourced but why on earth did he choose to come to us? :confused:

Maybe we offered him a decent wage, more chance of first team football and an outside chance of European football?

jgl07
10-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Just said similar on another thread. Then think of De Graaf, Hart, Miller, Stokes, even Maka and O'Brien!

Let's see how they translate to the pitch!

Yes Stokes was a real disaster for Hibs. A miserable 22 goals in 40 matches.

Off the bar
10-07-2012, 02:45 PM
I think that Doyle has looked excellent at times for us, and would be the perfect foil for a big target man - the fact that we were prepared to have a look at Kyle suggests that we are looking for one.

love to be wrong but can't see him getting 15-20 goals even with a big man up front with him, and with no O'Connor and no Griffiths we've got 27 goals to make up so we need at least 2 new strikers IMO

HotJumBalaya
10-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Welcome aboard Ben:thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
10-07-2012, 02:48 PM
love to be wrong but can't see him getting 15-20 goals even with a big man up front with him, and with no O'Connor and no Griffiths we've got 27 goals to make up so we need at least 2 new strikers IMO

Time will tell. I'm confident that he'll be a very important player for us next season, but that means **** all in the grand scheme of things.

Part/Time Supporter
10-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Hate to be a bucket of cold water, but the last goalie Hibs signed from Colchester was Simon Brown.

:duck:

In fairness, this guy does have a better background and more experience.

Renfrew_Hibby
10-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Maybe now we can just tell Mark Brown to bugger off.

Chuck Rhoades
10-07-2012, 02:54 PM
4-3-2-1 formation

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
(New LB or CB and move Hanlon to LB)

Stevenson
Ozzy
Claros

(New Signing)
Cairney

(New Signing)

Release Galbraith, O'Hanlon, Kujabi and Scott. Don't give Brown/O'Connor new deals.

On top of the above three signings in the First Team, Sign:

Centre Midfielder
Centre Forward

Still have Antel, Grant, Smith, Booth, Taggart, Stephens, Wotherspoon, Stanton, Caldwell, Handling, Sproule, and Doyle as subs/squad players.

That would give us a squad of 25 players.

5 new signings and I would be happy. As well as releasing the three players above who I feel aren't good enough for Hibs.

(Realise Scott is on Loan already, think Stephens has more potential than O'Hanlon, Galbraith just isn't good enough - keep Booth as our LM cover)

Andy74
10-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Maybe now we can just tell Mark Brown to bugger off.

Don't think so - if the keeper gets injured I don't want to be replying on kids.

At one stage we had Stack, Brown, and Mak when he was still about injured and at least we had Smith to fall back on.

If just one goes we are at the kids.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Hold on a minute here!!

Just had a look at this clowns Wikipedia page and that says he's only 6ft. Clearly too small and therefore not Hibs class.

****ing boooooooooo. PETRIE!!!!!!!!!

Hibiza
10-07-2012, 03:04 PM
:flag:

Stevie Reid
10-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Hate to be a bucket of cold water, but the last goalie Hibs signed from Colchester was Simon Brown.

:duck:

In fairness, this guy does have a better background and more experience.

Williams is two years older than Brown was when he signed, and has made twice as many first team appearances.

FromTheCapital
10-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Great signing if it goes ahead...

Hats off to Paddy!

:pfgwa

Cabbage East
10-07-2012, 03:17 PM
From Wikipedia:

Why wouldn't he want to come to us? Who says the English Championship is better than the SPL? Not me. We are a far bigger club that most of the teams in that league and contrary to what Sky Sports and the tabloids say, it's no better a standard than the SPL. Bigger wages yes, better standard no.

ALF TUPPER
10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Welcome Ben. :)

Renfrew_Hibby
10-07-2012, 03:20 PM
The boy Antell (spelling) seems to be a decent prospect with a fair amount of 1st team football behind him already. Lower leagues i know but decent goalie by all acounts. So Brown can just pee off!

Hows about this for a possible starting XI and formation for Tannadice on the 5th Aug:

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon Maybury/Other
Ozzy Claros
Spoony Cairney Booth
New Big Forward

Its the 4-2-3-1 formation now being favourd more and more. Basically its a 6 man defensive unit and a 4 man attacking unit. Ozzy and Claros sit deep and protect the defense and move the ball to the line in front of them. The 3 behind the striker are very fluid and can get up and have free range to narrow or widen the play and when in possesion flood forward in support of a main target man.
Dreamy stuff i know Spoony and Booth aint Silva or Iniesta I know but i think Booth could be a really good player in a more advanced roll.

Speedway
10-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Welcome Ben. :)

He's wearing a training top with '1' on, on the fishy.

Brown as backup then?

Stevie Reid
10-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Is this how the Ben Amos rumour came about? Goalkeeper called Ben, formerly of Man Utd?

Would rather have this one anyway.

micksoo
10-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I tweeted a local Colchester Sports journo. I asked if Williams was better than Simon Brown. He said he doesn't make as many mistakes. Phew!

He did think Simon Brown was good though!

He is surprised he is coming to us as there was talk down there he was going to Ipswich!

Speedway
10-07-2012, 03:36 PM
3 POTYs on the trot at Colchester as well.

Aldo
10-07-2012, 03:37 PM
He's wearing a training top with '1' on, on the fishy.

Brown as backup then?

Yeah brown had a few good games in cup but sorry has not fulfilled his potential.

Williams will be NO1 with Brown and the others vying for the starting berth!

IWasThere2016
10-07-2012, 03:39 PM

I thought the good ones were only available on 31 July :wink:

WELCOME BEN!! :thumbsup: Well done Nutsy! :thumbsup:

Aldo
10-07-2012, 03:44 PM
The boy Antell (spelling) seems to be a decent prospect with a fair amount of 1st team football behind him already. Lower leagues i know but decent goalie by all acounts. So Brown can just pee off!

Hows about this for a possible starting XI and formation for Tannadice on the 5th Aug:

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon Maybury/Other
Ozzy Claros
Spoony Cairney Booth
New Big Forward

Its the 4-2-3-1 formation now being favourd more and more. Basically its a 6 man defensive unit and a 4 man attacking unit. Ozzy and Claros sit deep and protect the defense and move the ball to the line in front of them. The 3 behind the striker are very fluid and can get up and have free range to narrow or widen the play and when in possesion flood forward in support of a main target man.
Dreamy stuff i know Spoony and Booth aint Silva or Iniesta I know but i think Booth could be a really good player in a more advanced roll.

Agree that that might be formation but have a feeling the middle to front maybe slightly different

I would like this

Williams
Clancy. McPake (c) McManus or Hanlon Pa or booth
Kerr Ozzy
Winger Deano LG or Cairney
Beattie

You all must think I'm nuts but that's ma starting line up for UTD. Or there or there abouts. If we don't sign McManus then the boy Lubo.

heretoday
10-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a solid citizen.

Amazing though when you think of all the famous goalies who used to ply their trade at ER.

Andy74
10-07-2012, 03:49 PM
I thought the good ones were only available on 31 July :wink:

WELCOME BEN!! :thumbsup: Well done Nutsy! :thumbsup:

Who has ever said that?

lucky
10-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Seems a decent signing. Hopefully a solid keeper who does the basics right. Think Mark Brown may have miss his chance at staying at Hibs. Player s are. Going to learn there is not buckets of cash outside the EPL and that deals at decent well run clubs are going to be at premium.

Sean1875
10-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Cant say I know much about him but from what im reading about it, im very excited about this signing! Welcome to the Hibs family Ben! :aok::flag:

Andy74
10-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Seems a decent signing. Hopefully a solid keeper who does the basics right. Think Mark Brown may have miss his chance at staying at Hibs. Player s are. Going to learn there is not buckets of cash outside the EPL and that deals at decent well run clubs are going to be at premium.

Brown's offer will have been as back up or at least not guaranteed first choice so nothing changes on that front.

Speedway
10-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Ultimately I think that, if Williams proves to be a better keeper than we've had previously, we've got a good chance of being able to show real improvement in the Goalie department.

hibby67
10-07-2012, 04:10 PM
welcome to the hibees Ben

:flag::flag:

PatHead
10-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Ultimately I think that, if Williams proves to be a better keeper than we've had previously, we've got a good chance of being able to show real improvement in the Goalie department.

Well said Einstein! You will get a job summarising on the BBC if you aren't careful

Stantons Angel
10-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Really happy with this signing.

Don't see this very often on this site do we?

BEEJ
10-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Don't think so - if the keeper gets injured I don't want to be replying on kids.

At one stage we had Stack, Brown, and Mak when he was still about injured and at least we had Smith to fall back on.

If just one goes we are at the kids.
With an even more restricted player budget this year and a first team squad size that's likely to number 24 or less, we cannot afford to have three experienced keepers plus a back-up in the U-20s. Antell has now had considerable match experience, albeit in Division 3.

I'm hoping the offer to Mark Brown was simply contingency planning in case the Williams deal did not get finalised. I doubt that Brown's going to want to be a second choice goalie anywhere anyway.

SteveHFC
http://www.snspix.com/image/7566532_400_400_0_0_fit_0_439fa00e97a9e218d2f430cc b8861825.jpg

Bobo
Cant say I know much about him but from what im reading about it, im very excited about this signing! Welcome to the Hibs family Ben! :aok::flag:

Can't say I know much about him either.

A quick look at his stats from last season don't look too bad:

He conceded 53 goals in 39 appearances and kept 10 clean sheets.

He conceded 6 against Stevenage, 5 against MK Dons and 4 against both Bury and Notts County so outwith these games he conceded 34 goals in his other 35 appearances.

Colchester finished 10th in League 1 last season, so he had a fairly reasonable team in front of him.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-07-2012, 05:30 PM
I reckon this will either be a great signing or a ***** signing......just a feeling I have

TomoHFC
10-07-2012, 05:45 PM
great signing:top marks

Gatecrasher
10-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Good news about signing a keeper, welcome aboard

Lungo--Drom
10-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Woo hoo!
:flag:
Welcome to Easter Road Ben!

EdinMike
10-07-2012, 05:50 PM
As a avid 5-a side Goalie... Ben Williams is a tremendous athlete and a great shot stopper from what i've seen. I see him as a great Number 1 for us !! What a signing !

cocopops1875
10-07-2012, 05:50 PM
He Came across well on the news

weecounty hibby
10-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Looks to be a good signing and spoke very well in his interview, sounds ambitious. PF also saying he is the right type of character again.Welcome aboard Ben.

Keith_M
10-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Does he have a decent website?

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2012, 06:26 PM
We needed a keeper, we have one now. :aok:

Easter Road X1
10-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Can't say I know much about him either.

He conceded 53 goals in 39 appearances and kept 10 clean sheets.

He conceded 6 against Stevenage, 5 against MK Dons and 4 against both Bury and Notts County so outwith these games he conceded 34 goals in his other 35 appearances.

Colchester finished 10th in League 1 last season, so he had a fairly reasonable team in front of him.

What will he be like with McPake in front of him :top marks

bingo70
10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
There was an arrogance about him on the news whenhe was being interviewed that I liked.

I also like the fact we're signing players on the back of a successful season rather than after being released or loaned from a bigger club, looks good signing players from the likes of Aston villa (and other clubs I can't think of just now) but signing players on their way down has maybe added to the whole lack of confidence and contributed to the bad attitude at the club.

VickMackie
10-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Looks like we will be doing ok at the back. A LB to go but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I reckon this will either be a great signing or a ***** signing......just a feeling I have

Rivers Cuomo
10-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Don't see this very often on this site do we?

:greengrin

Ferryhibby
10-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Wer gettin there...Goalie...CH...now a striker..thats the backbone of the team now to build around it

Eyrie
10-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Another good move by Fenlon.

Vault Boy
10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Done a bit of snooping on the Colchester fan forums, some of them seem bitter that he left and are incredibly arrogant concerning the stature of their club, i.e. laughing at the fact he is coming to Scotland etcetera, whereas the people I talked to directly have said not to listen to the majority of the fans, he was an excellent keeper for them and a couple of weeks of lost form is what most of the other fans are basing their opinions on. Very happy with this signing, but as Colchester are my local club, I feel a bit stupid that I didn't know more about him. :greengrin

erin go bragh
10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the Hibernian family Ben , poty 3 times :agree: that will do for me .

ggtth

Littlest Hobo
10-07-2012, 08:34 PM
It's like Rod has been paying attention to the supporters.

Welcome to the Hibees family!

YehButNoBut
10-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Welcome Ben, feeling he will be a good 'un. :thumbsup:

Interview here

http://www.youtube.com/user/HibernianTV?feature=mhee

CRAZYHIBBY
10-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Ipswich town wanted him....but he opted for spl giants hibernian instead

http://www.ipswich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=286793

Bobo
10-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Done a bit of snooping on the Colchester fan forums, some of them seem bitter that he left and are incredibly arrogant concerning the stature of their club, i.e. laughing at the fact he is coming to Scotland etcetera:greengrin

Looks like Ipswich Fans don't think the same ... http://www.ipswich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=286793

Town Target Signs For Hibs

Any hopes Ipswich had of signing the highly-rated keeper Ben Williams have been dashed after he joined SPL giants Hibernian.

The Hibees swooped for the out-of-contract goalie who has just left Colchester United after the Blues failed to follow up initial interest.

Future17
10-07-2012, 09:44 PM
He Came across well on the news

As long as he comes for crosses well on a Saturday.

Vault Boy
11-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Looks like Ipswich Fans don't think the same ... http://www.ipswich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=286793

Interesting, new found respect for Ipswich. :wink:

NOLA
11-07-2012, 12:46 AM
clearly too tall to be a hibs goalie.

Russ
11-07-2012, 04:19 AM
If a didnae awready have 1 , this would have me scurrying off to buy ma season ticket. C.MON guys back Paddy and his dream, things are looking up.

Hibernia&Alba
11-07-2012, 05:06 AM
I hope he proves to be a good solid keeper. Imagine one of those at Hibs, it's unheard of! Four signings now, let's hope we're on the right course.

cocopops1875
11-07-2012, 05:27 AM
As long as he comes for crosses well on a Saturday.

You will find out on a Sunday at around 10pm I guess

Piqué
11-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Can he kick the ball? Does he come and catch crosses? The two key attributes of goalkeeping.

Phil MaGlass
11-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Signing number 4 things are moving, but need tae move a wee bit quicker, I dont think we will see any big signings coming to the club especially if the article below is anything to go by,
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-couldn-t-afford-to-hang-on-to-billy-brown-says-pat-fenlon-1-2403648
Are we really that short of cash we couldnae keep Billy?

Andy74
11-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Signing number 4 things are moving, but need tae move a wee bit quicker, I dont think we will see any big signings coming to the club especially if the article below is anything to go by,
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-couldn-t-afford-to-hang-on-to-billy-brown-says-pat-fenlon-1-2403648

No big signings? McPake was a big one really. Williams had offers from Championship clubs and came here.

Brown I think would have been a nice to have for Pat but its right we focus on the playing side and put any resource we have into that.

cocopops1875
11-07-2012, 09:27 AM
That depends on whether you believe the article, whether you feel we needed 2 assistant managers (coz that's what we had) and whether you feel billy is a miss at our club who's wages wouldn't be better spent topping up a players weekly wage ?

Tha Cabbage Kid
11-07-2012, 10:41 AM
cant seem to find it but does anyone know what his games to goal conceeds ratio was?
was looking on wiki but it only shows how many games he's played and how many goals he scored (which was obviously 0)

Future17
11-07-2012, 11:24 AM
You will find out on a Sunday at around 10pm I guess

Ha ha! Touche`! :-)

Future17
11-07-2012, 11:26 AM
cant seem to find it but does anyone know what his games to goal conceeds ratio was?
was looking on wiki but it only shows how many games he's played and how many goals he scored (which was obviously 0)

As posted by Bobo on this thread.

He conceded 53 goals in 39 appearances and kept*10*clean sheets.

He conceded*6*against Stevenage,*5*against MK Dons and*4*against both Bury and Notts County so outwith these games he conceded*34*goals in his other*35*appearances.

Tha Cabbage Kid
11-07-2012, 12:05 PM

He conceded*6*against Stevenage,*5*against MK Dons and*4*against both Bury and Notts County so outwith these games he conceded*34*goals in his other*35*appearances.

cheers F17. that is good stats! :) so what your saying is he's no Zibi?

Andy74
11-07-2012, 12:22 PM

I'm not sure we can just erase the 19 he conceded over those 4 games! :greengrin

Hibercelona
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Has a few "player of the year" awards under his belt for Carlisle and Colchester. :thumbsup:

Seems like a good find. :aok:

--------
11-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure we can just erase the 19 he conceded over those 4 games! :greengrin

Who was our goalie when Rangers did us 7-0 at Ibrox? :cb

From Colchester
11-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Ben is a good keeper and Colchester would have been happy to keep him but he wanted to move on from League One and at 29 that is probably a wise move. He's done very well for us over three seasons. Don't take any notice of the heavy defeats last season because that wasn't down to Ben, just a defence which chose to go completely AWOL. In fact he has been remarkably consistent over three seasons and I doubt that he will let you down. Overall he has been pretty consistent which some see as an attribute with a keeper.

He has kept Colchester in several games this past season and hopefully will be able to do the same for you. I wish him well. Not perfect but not many are but commands his area well and is vocal enough.

He is a far better goalkeeper than Mr Brown ever was. Will look to see how he is getting on but I fully expect him to be up to standard.

Good luck for your season.

Jim44
11-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Ben is a good keeper and Colchester would have been happy to keep him but he wanted to move on from League One and at 29 that is probably a wise move. He's done very well for us over three seasons. Don't take any notice of the heavy defeats last season because that wasn't down to Ben, just a defence which chose to go completely AWOL. In fact he has been remarkably consistent over three seasons and I doubt that he will let you down. Overall he has been pretty consistent which some see as an attribute with a keeper.

He has kept Colchester in several games this past season and hopefully will be able to do the same for you. I wish him well. Not perfect but not many are but commands his area well and is vocal enough.

He is a far better goalkeeper than Mr Brown ever was. Will look to see how he is getting on but I fully expect him to be up to standard.

Thanks for the good wishes. I think Ben will play a significant part in the Hibs team next season. All the best to Colchester next season.

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2012, 08:38 PM

thanks for that, its always good to hear from someone who's actually seen him play. :aok:

From Colchester
11-07-2012, 09:09 PM
PS: I am not sure what Colchester folk have said about Hibs but I can't believe it would be a general view and neither would I think many would be "bitter" about Ben going - he was out of contract and we are cutting back on wages and I would think that many would have expected him to go if he had a decent offer from elsewhere which clearly he has. Colchester have a very able deputy (fortunately) who has now earned his chance to be No 1 so to me "it's just football." They come and they go but yes he is a good keeper or has been for Colchester.

He is probably best not to have gone to Ipswich which, in recent seasons, has been pretty much a graveyard for any custodian employed. Still is, for that matter. :wink:

BEEJ
11-07-2012, 09:19 PM

Thanks for taking the time on here to give us that information. Appreciated! :aok:

allezsauzee
11-07-2012, 09:19 PM
He has to be better than the last keeper we got from Colchester surely. Simon Brown is the worst keeper i've seen play for Hibs

Jim44
11-07-2012, 09:47 PM
He has to be better than the last keeper we got from Colchester surely. Simon Brown is the worst keeper i've seen play for Hibs

Debatable ............................. he's had plenty of competition. :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
12-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Who was our goalie when Rangers did us 7-0 at Ibrox? :cb

Who? :confused:

--------
12-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Who? :confused:

IIRC Jim Leighton ....

Good keepers can have bad days.

Stevie Reid
12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Debatable ............................. he's had plenty of competition. :greengrin

Definitely plenty of competition, though don't see how anyone can see past Zibbi as the worst - was arguably at fault for all four goals in THAT semi final, and made several more errors to cost us points against Hearts at both ER and Tynie.

Pretty Boy
12-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Definitely plenty of competition, though don't see how anyone can see past Zibbi as the worst - was arguably at fault for all four goals in THAT semi final, and made several more errors to cost us points against Hearts at both ER and Tynie.

I would actually say Brown was worse than Zibi.

I can remeber Zibi having a few decent games for us, he was very good in the 'unbeatable' Derby and the first 0-3 game against Third Lanark. Sadly things went downhill and he had a massive confidence crisis that led to poor decision making and a noticeable nervousness whenever he played.

Brown was just consistently poor, never looked comfortable and lost so many preventable goals. Although he did make one of the best saves I've ever seen from a Bob Malcolm shot in the second 0-3 game.

Stevie Reid
12-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I would actually say Brown was worse than Zibi.

I can remeber Zibi having a few decent games for us, he was very good in the 'unbeatable' Derby and the first 0-3 game against Third Lanark. Sadly things went downhill and he had a massive confidence crisis that led to poor decision making and a noticeable nervousness whenever he played.

Brown was just consistently poor, never looked comfortable and lost so many preventable goals. Although he did make one of the best saves I've ever seen from a Bob Malcolm shot in the second 0-3 game.

Brown was undoubtedly *****, but Zibbi takes it for me as he has caused me more depression than any other Hibs goalkeeper. And that's saying something.

Hainan Hibs
12-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Good to see we've signed a keeper who looks solid enough, however with so many dissapointments I'm keeping my excitement in check:greengrin

Welcome on board Ben and good luck:thumbsup:

And on the Brown vs Zibi debate, Zibi goes down as the worst for that Semi-Final and for some odd reason giving the yams a wave when they were taking the piss, and stopping Benji on his run.

Brown seemed to have the Tony Caig statue condition however he did pull off a great save vs the Huns in the 3-0 cup game.