PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to finish second in the SPL?

theonlywayisup
09-07-2012, 09:44 PM
SPL will live after Newco depart the scene of the crime. So who will finish second?

Dundee Utd - always strong! Motherwell - maybe distracted by Champions League qualifiers! Dandy Dons - have added some quality up front! Celtic - unlikely, but who knows? Hibs - ditto! Hertz - OMG!

Feel free to add in a post who you think will be relegated.

theonlywayisup
09-07-2012, 09:50 PM
I voted for Dundee United - I feel they have the better players outwith Celtic.

For relegation, I think whoever Club 12 will be.

3pm
09-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Hibs.

Eyrie
09-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Dundee United - we have too many holes in our squad.

At The Edge
09-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Where has all the positivity went?
Celtic will finish 2nd, a few points behind Hibs:wink:

ScottB
09-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Impossible to make more than a guess at this stage.

Some clubs will add to their squads, depending on what happens to Rangers I can see some having to cut back on players etc.

There's something far wrong however if our club doesn't have one eye on it.

SmokieJoe
09-07-2012, 10:35 PM
For the first time in many a year and der hun tatty bye to the third (hopefully), yams now cutting their cloth along with all the others, i'd say us, the cabbage!

For years through ineptitude punching way below our weight, some through cheating and paying way over the odds in wages, and others punching way above their weight, the tables are turning and i believe we have the drop on the rest with the signings and PF/LoB and no BB there.

The time is nigh my fellow Hibbies:thumbsup:

Del Boy
09-07-2012, 10:38 PM
United undoubtedly have the best starting 11 after Celtic, but not sure about strength in depth. If they avoid injuries and don't sell likes of Russell, mackay Steven and Gunning then they'll be second, followed by motherwell and aberdeen imo

Minder
09-07-2012, 11:02 PM

If only.

:flag:

Leishy1995
09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Voted for hibs, to make me happy.

frazeHFC
09-07-2012, 11:06 PM

Exactly my thoughts too. :flag:

Leishy1995
09-07-2012, 11:30 PM
In reality, if we somehow finished second we'd be due a party.

LamontHFC©
10-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Got to laugh that we are the second most voted team in the poll, while Hearts only have one vote.

I mean, I know its a Hibs board, but come on guys..

GGTTH.

Sylar
10-07-2012, 06:11 AM
How long is a piece of string :confused:

Steve20
10-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Probably Hearts.

lucky
10-07-2012, 06:26 AM

I agree what's the point of being in the league if you don't believe you can win.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Maybe Dundee Utds but its nigh on impossible to predict.

As for all those saying Hibs, I'm all for the power of positive thinking but at this moment we are just as likely to finish 12th as 2nd.

Think Killie, club 12 or ICT will go down though.

aussie_hibee
10-07-2012, 07:19 AM
How long is a piece of string :confused:

It's double the length from the centre to the end.

Hibernia&Alba
10-07-2012, 07:39 AM
It's a difficult one, it's wide open. Normally Hearts would be the clear favourites, but they are downsizing quite drastically. It could be any one of around five clubs, but I don't think it's realistic for Hibs to go from eleventh to second in one jump. Top six would make me very happy next season. I think Motherwell might have another good season, though it's a guess really.

Piqué
10-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Don't think it'll be us this time. If we go in the right direction this season however I could see us finishing second the next year.

VickMackie
10-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Don't think it'll be us this time. If we go in the right direction this season however I could see us finishing second the next year.

Rangers will probably be back in the SPL next year and normal service will be resumed.

IWasThere2016
10-07-2012, 08:23 AM
United undoubtedly have the best starting 11 after Celtic, but not sure about strength in depth. If they avoid injuries and don't sell likes of Russell, mackay Steven and Gunning then they'll be second, followed by motherwell and aberdeen imo

Sadly, I have to agree. Decent enough signings in Millar and Gardyne also. They also have some real gems in their youth ranks. I hate them.

Keith_M
10-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Who voted for Hibs to finish second? C'mon guys, be serious! :greengrin

If Hearts hadn't lost so many players, I would hve them and DU as joint favourites. As it is, I see DU as finishing second.

Or maybe Celtc, with Hibs in first place :dunno:

Houchy
10-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Impossible to make more than a guess at this stage.

Some clubs will add to their squads, depending on what happens to Rangers I can see some having to cut back on players etc.

There's something far wrong however if our club doesn't have one eye on it.

I'd like to think this would be the case but RP's spending strategy will see us finish 7th.

Steve20
10-07-2012, 08:37 AM
I'd like to think this would be the case but RP's spending strategy will see us finish 7th.

With the squad at the moment, we'll be lucky to be 10th.

PeterboroHibee
10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
With the squad at the moment, we'll be lucky to be 10th.

Exactly. Given the current situation theres not much that can be done in terms of recruitment, but our squad is a joke. Relying on so many of the players that were proven to be not good enough last year (without the likes of Griffiths to score goals) isnt really going to see us progress, let alone think about finishing 2nd.

I think it will be United, they have an excellent scouting system and are usually able to replace those players going out. Maybe not the biggest squad which will have an effect, but they are probably the best team in the league outwith Celtic imo.

Albanian Hibs
10-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Voted Hertz. Think Killie for relegation too.

goosefat
10-07-2012, 10:16 AM
It won't be Motherwell, I can tell you that. Now that they've lost Clancy their defence will be an utter shambles :greengrin

Franck Stanton
10-07-2012, 01:04 PM
It's a difficult one, it's wide open. Normally Hearts would be the clear favourites, but they are downsizing quite drastically. It could be any one of around five clubs, but I don't think it's realistic for Hibs to go from eleventh to second in one jump. Top six would make me very happy next season. I think Motherwell might have another good season, though it's a guess really.

At last, a sensible post, how anyone can state we are going to go from 11th last season to 2nd this season is......well just plain stupid. IF we make top 6, that, imo will be a vast improvement on last two seasons and give us a platform to kick on the season after. Lets get real chaps, I know it's good to dream, but us 2nd?

weehibee19
10-07-2012, 03:44 PM
SPL will live after Newco depart the scene of the crime. So who will finish second?

Dundee Utd - always strong! Motherwell - maybe distracted by Champions League qualifiers! Dandy Dons - have added some quality up front! Celtic - unlikely, but who knows? Hibs - ditto! Hertz - OMG!

Feel free to add in a post who you think will be relegated.

I have a strong feeling Aberdeen could come second due to the their recent signings Johnny Hayes etc, but I also think Hibs could come either 2nd,3rd or 4th!

PatHead
10-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Voted Hibs for no other reason than I think it is too large a step to win the league.

Seriously, the defence looks stronger already, if we could get a goal scoring forward and get a run going you never know. If we could get a few home wins well any home wins.

Of last season's top 6
Celtic will win league.
If we don't finish above Rangers there is something far wrong
Motherwell have lost a few players and may struggle in the event of injuries. Vary rarely do most teams manage 2 good seasons in a row
If D Utd are in Europa League groups I don't think they would have squad to deal with two games a week. They look the best just now
Hearts will be have a big problem scoring goals. They were really struggling until Beattie appeared and without Skatchel things will be worse.
St Johnstone have lost a few key players, will be stuffy but won't do it over a season.

Aberdeen could be worth a punt as they will be well organised but again lack goals just now.
ICT weren't much better than us.
Killie have lost a couple of key players and weren't much better than us to start with.
St Mirren are improving but whether they can do it over a season. Their record from New Year was pants
Can't see Dundee or Dunfermline finishing above us

The Dark Horse could be Ross County who may manage to do what Livingston did a few years ago.

Jones28
10-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Voted for Motherwell.

They've only really lost Jennings as a major player.

Celtic
Motherwell
Dundee Utd/Hibs/Hearts
Aberdeen

Think if we get a good PS under the belt we'll have a good shout of finishing quite high up, top 6.

NOLA
11-07-2012, 12:57 AM
voted for the arabs, consistently been a good team for a few years now, cant believe 41 have voted for us? must be the summer sun getting to you all:greengrin

Pete
11-07-2012, 02:56 AM
It'll be us! We're going to get it right this season and give it to hearts at the same time!

I'm also wanting another cup final at least!

DanHFC1875
11-07-2012, 07:29 AM
We've made 4 signings..... But we need another 4 minimum of decent quality or we can forget top six never mind second :s

Hibercelona
11-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I think Dundee Utd will finish 2nd, with us just creeping ahead of them in 1st place clinching the treble. :aok:

hfc rd
11-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Voted for Motherwell.

They've only really lost Jennings as a major player.

Celtic
Motherwell
Dundee Utd/Hibs/Hearts
Aberdeen

Think if we get a good PS under the belt we'll have a good shout of finishing quite high up, top 6.

They lost Clancy as well, who was a rock at the back for them.

I think it might be Dundee united. Even though they have lost a couple of players. They still look strong. They lost a lot of good players last season but still finished high up the table. Peter Houston is a good manager who can get the best out of his players.

But then again, who knows? We could be in for a shock.

Hainan Hibs
12-07-2012, 07:06 AM
I think UTD will finish second with Hearts and Motherwell fighting it out for 3rd.

After the disaster last season and the job Fenlon has on his hands I'd be happy with top 6 and a good cup run this season.

R'Albin
12-07-2012, 09:10 AM
I take it the other 57 people who voted for us were also joking?

lord bunberry
12-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't think its stupid to think we can finish second. Last season is irrelevant as hardly any of that team will be here this season obviously we won't finish second with what we've got now but if the right players are brought in then we should be able to be competitive with everyone apart from celtic. I'm not saying we will finish second but it should be our aim

PeeJay
12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
In view of the demise of the club that was once RFC we should actually, as a club, be looking forward to snatching second place and get into some lucrative European games next season, but I'm not convinced that the people running our club have the ambition and vision to even see this opportunity for what it is. Every other club will no doubt see this as a great opportunity, most will give it a go, but I expect us to fail miserably TBH.

Admire the loyalty of the many who see us in 2nd - for your sakes I hope it works out that way, and that I am completely wrong ...

Billychaotic182
12-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Hate to say it but I think hearts

francobaresi
14-07-2012, 10:20 AM
I voted Hearts but agree with a prevous post stating that as they are downsizing it is effectively a 5 horse race... Celtc hopefully think it's won before the season starts and teams can take points from them making it quite entertaining. Hibs unfortunately I can't yet see being anywhere near the chasing pack for 2nd place. But that's just my opinion based on last seasons fair...

Hibiza
18-07-2012, 02:57 PM
League winners without Smeltic us, (paddy power ) 16/1. asking for a direct price against the yams. :flag:

easty
18-07-2012, 02:58 PM
I thought the yams would lose a few more players over the summer. As things stand I think they look stronger than us still.

BoltonHibee
18-07-2012, 02:59 PM
I thought the yams would lose a few more players over the summer. As things stand I think they look stronger than us still.

Don't most clubs?

Craig_in_Prague
18-07-2012, 03:04 PM
we'll be honking and bottom 6. We look worse than how we finished the season.

easty
18-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Don't most clubs?

True. But I was hoping for a yam financial meltdown over the summer. Think this is about the 6th year in a row I've been waiting on that...

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-07-2012, 03:31 PM
League winners without Smeltic us, (paddy power ) 16/1. asking for a direct price against the yams. :flag:

Please don't do it! :no way:

Stevie Reid
18-07-2012, 03:33 PM

I think they're first 11 looks the best of the rest, they won't concede many with their back four, and I think Sutton will have a good season for them.

Yam in my work said that he'd heard that they were in for Sandaza - really hope it's not true, those two up front would be quite a combination.

YehButNoBut
18-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I think they're first 11 looks the best of the rest, they won't concede many with their back four, and I think Sutton will have a good season for them.

Yam in my work said that he'd heard that they were in for Sandaza - really hope it's not true, those two up front would be quite a combination.

Sandaza & Griffiths up front for us would be a great combination. :pray:

easty
18-07-2012, 03:56 PM

Thats how I see it as well. Humpty goallie, but a good defence, couple of more than decent wingers and a good proven SPL striker.

Keith_M
18-07-2012, 09:05 PM
True. But I was hoping for a yam financial meltdown over the summer. Think this is about the 6th year in a row I've been waiting on that...

Where's that guy that used to come on here every couple of weeks with a post about Hearts going bust?

I can't remember his name but he rarely posted on anything else.

I'd imagine he's feeling a bit stupid by now.

Part/Time Supporter
18-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Where's that guy that used to come on here every couple of weeks with a post about Hearts going bust?

I can't remember his name but he rarely posted on anything else.

I'd imagine he's feeling a bit stupid by now.

Mind you, there's probably someone similar on a Celtic forum who's feeling pretty smug right now.

:greengrin

Hibspirational
18-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Motherwell for me. Can't see their european campaign lasting too long (on the assumption they don't drop into the Europa league) so more time to focus on the league.

Just behind Hibs!! :cb

Hibeesforever
18-07-2012, 10:15 PM

That's the truth, think mid table and that is where you end up. Think top and you achieve more. Mr Chairman, this is a big season for you. Hibs fans need to be more demanding.

On second place, I have a hunch that it will actually be Celtic.....nothing like thinking you have won something before you actually have!!!! Could Hibs be league winners ? Surprising thing is that I reckon only a £1 million pounds additional outlay in total would be needed. Small investment really, just imagine what the crowds would be like at the turn of the year. If I was a businessman looking to invest that is what I would do....Sir Tom are you online ?

Sir David Gray
18-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Dundee Utd or Motherwell. Hearts have lost too many players to be considered favourites for 2nd place. Hopefully Skacel won't be back any time soon.

People voting for us are clearly under the influence of something.

Iggy Pope
18-07-2012, 11:38 PM
I voted Hearts but agree with a prevous post stating that as they are downsizing it is effectively a 5 horse race... Celtc hopefully think it's won before the season starts and teams can take points from them making it quite entertaining. Hibs unfortunately I can't yet see being anywhere near the chasing pack for 2nd place. But that's just my opinion based on last seasons fair...

Reading this right, FranconBaresi, He**z are your vote for 2nd but you you hope Celtic think it is won before the season starts?

And there are Hibbies on here having glue sniffing levelled at them, just because they have a wee bit of hope behind them?

Can we not get back to hating those *******s?

hibeequinn
19-07-2012, 12:01 AM
1 celtic
2 dundee u
3 aberdeen
4 hibernian
5 motherwell
6 hearts
7 ross county
8 st johnstone
9 ict
10 st mirren