PDA

View Full Version : New season, same old quotes (annoying football cliches)

goosefat
09-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Now that the new season is almost upon us, what are the inevitable media/manager/player quotes that you could really do without hearing this time around?

For me:

1. “These decisions even themselves out over the course of a season...” – No, they don’t and statistically never have.

2. BBC Scotland asking the manager of whatever team is top of the SPL after 2 games if they can “mount a challenge to Celtic...”

3. "Celtic intend to appeal Neil Lennon's touchline ban..."

And the one that I’m DELIGHTED I won’t have to endure at end of every Radio 5 Live sports bulletin – “Here’s the view of Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp...”

Scouse Hibee
09-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Now that the new season is almost upon us, what are the inevitable media/manager/player quotes that you could really do without hearing this time around?

For me:

1. “These decisions even themselves out over the course of a season...” – No, they don’t and statistically never have.

2. BBC Scotland asking the manager of whatever team is top of the SPL after 2 games if they can “mount a challenge to Celtic...”

And the one that I’m DELIGHTED I won’t have to endure at end of every Radio 5 Live sports bulletin – “Here’s the view of Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp...”

Totally agree with the sentiment of that statement and always have done. Stop moaning and get on with it is the best way :agree:

snooky
09-07-2012, 09:30 PM

For me:

This is a true statement by the way.

However I should point out that we (and the other non-OF clubs) get our share of the decisions once we are 2, 3 or more goals down to Rantic and the game is already lost.

Eyrie
09-07-2012, 09:53 PM
I'd rather hear that than a Lennon-esque attempt to blame a bad result on one decision by the officials to distract attention from the failure to score enough goals over the other 90 minutes.

theonlywayisup
09-07-2012, 09:55 PM
"I'm sorry, I can't answer that question. You will have to ask Mr. Thomson why he gave a penalty against us again, when there was no touch and even if there was it was outside the box!"

goosefat
10-07-2012, 08:21 AM
This is a true statement by the way.

However I should point out that we (and the other non-OF clubs) get our share of the decisions once we are 2, 3 or more goals down to Rantic and the game is already lost.

Just so I understand you correctly, you honestly believe that every incorrect decision for/against a team is, through some law of nature only applying to football, evened out by a precisely equal set of incorrect decisions over the entire season, and that this miraculously works out exactly the same for every team?

:crazy:

_hucks_
10-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Just so I understand you correctly, you honestly believe that every incorrect decision for/against a team is, through some law of nature only applying to football, evened out by a precisely equal set of incorrect decisions over the entire season, and that this miraculously works out exactly the same for every team?

:crazy:

And you think it's meant literally, yes?

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 08:27 AM
'Fenlon GTF'. I'd wager that will make an appearance as a thread title on here by the 4th week of the season at the latest.

Aldo
10-07-2012, 08:38 AM
'Fenlon GTF'. I'd wager that will make an appearance as a thread title on here by the 4th week of the season at the latest.

No far off the mark PB. Very fickle fans indeed. I for one think PF will get it right but he needs time. Not sure the fans will give him it tho!!

lyonhibs
"Great performance, couldn't really have asked for any more, it's just a shame about the 3 howling individual errors at the back that allowed Hearts to skelp us once again"

"I see it every day in training, the boys really are busting a gut for each other. We'll turn this around, we just need that wee rub o' the green to go our way"

etc etc ad infintum.

goosefat
And you think it's meant literally, yes?

It is a literal quote, yes. I'm making the point that very often people come out with these lines without even understanding the words they are actually saying.

If you take the original quote to mean "these decisions even themselves out over the course of a season, within a huge margin of error either way" - i.e. not even at all, then OK...

"Even" means "even" :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 08:44 AM
"Great performance, couldn't really have asked for any more, it's just a shame about the 3 howling individual errors at the back that allowed Hearts to skelp us once again"

"I see it every day in training, the boys really are busting a gut for each other. We'll turn this around, we just need that wee rub o' the green to go our way"

etc etc ad infintum.

Yogi, is that you?

Chuck Rhoades
10-07-2012, 08:47 AM
'Petrie must go'

The Green Goblin
10-07-2012, 10:20 AM
"A derby win is always good for the supporters, but for myself it's still just 3 points, same as any other win."

(true lies!)

goosefat
10-07-2012, 10:26 AM
"A derby win is always good for the supporters, but for myself it's still just 3 points, same as any other win."

(true lies!)

...words that, unfortunately, tend only to be uttered by a Hibs manager before a derby game.

wearethehibs
10-07-2012, 10:46 AM
"wtf were sect43 singing today? You are all just a bunch of 12 year old, chino wearing, 1 direction loving idiots. Stop singing and just watch the game. Get that drum to ******. If that drum was near me id shove the sticks up yer arse. I sit just along from you And I bearly hear a thing from sect43"

And so on. Bet 1 of those is said before the season even starts.

Chuck Rhoades
10-07-2012, 11:10 AM
"wtf were sect43 singing today? You are all just a bunch of 12 year old, chino wearing, 1 direction loving idiots. Stop singing and just watch the game. Get that drum to ******. If that drum was near me id shove the sticks up yer arse. I sit just along from you And I bearly hear a thing from sect43"

And so on. Bet 1 of those is said before the season even starts.

:greengrin