PDA

View Full Version : "We need to hit the ground running"

WhileTheChief..
09-07-2012, 08:35 PM
on the first game of the season."

Not my words, but those of Pat Fenlon :greengrin

How refreshing compared to last years "we wont be ready" nonsense from CC.

Hopefully we won't hear too much on here about 'time to gel'. That was preached to high heaven last year and turned out to be complete bull.

PF knows the score :thumbsup:

.Sean.
09-07-2012, 08:45 PM
The mere mention of the name Colin Calderwood infuriates me. Man, I hate that ****.

BoltonHibee
09-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Talk is cheap, let's see what he can actually do

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2012, 08:51 PM

It is indeed BH, but at least PF sounds like he knows what he's talking about.....I like him, hope it works out for him....

blackpoolhibs
09-07-2012, 08:53 PM
It is indeed BH, but at least PF sounds like he knows what he's talking about.....I like him, hope it works out for him....

Having a manager who at least wants to be at the club, is a 100% improvement straight away. :agree:

BoltonHibee
09-07-2012, 08:54 PM

There have been others that trotted out guff that had the fans lapping it up! Hughes springs to mind. Fenlon has a lot to prove in my book. I wish he would keep his trap shut and do his talking with his team on the park. I hope he works out well for us too, let's face it if it doesnt we could be in even bigger trouble

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Having a manager who at least wants to be at the club, is a 100% improvement straight away. :agree:

Indeed, PF will be under no illusion just how difficult his task is, and he will be keen as mustard to succeed.....

WhileTheChief..
09-07-2012, 08:59 PM
There have been others that trotted out guff that had the fans lapping it up! Hughes springs to mind. Fenlon has a lot to prove in my book. I wish he would keep his trap shut and do his talking with his team on the park. I hope he works out well for us too, let's face it if it doesnt we could be in even bigger trouble

Not lapping anything up but surely you can see a huge difference in what PF is saying in comparison to Hughes and Calderwood. He seems to er, know what he's doing!!

I like that he isn't making excuses or trying to hide. He knows what is expected and will strive to deliver. JH and CC both just talked rubbish.

BoltonHibee
09-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Not lapping anything up but surely you can see a huge difference in what PF is saying in comparison to Hughes and Calderwood. He seems to er, know what he's doing!!

I like that he isn't making excuses or trying to hide. He knows what is expected and will strive to deliver. JH and CC both just talked rubbish.

No, I cannot see any real difference, especially compared to Hughes. I don't subscribe to theory either that PF knows what he is talking about, he has proved nothing to me in his stint so far at ER. In fact if anything, I think he has been found wanting more than his predecessors.

Scouse Hibee
09-07-2012, 09:03 PM

Surely you'd rather he came out with something positive rather than "keep his trap shut" and say nothing at all?

I totally agree that Fenlon has everything to prove this season, and has not yet convinced me that he is the man to do it, but I like to hear positive comments coming from the manager just the same.

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Not sure many lapped up what Yogi or CC said......I find PF refreshingly honest, tells it how it is, and none of this "the boys tried hard" etc etc

BoltonHibee
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Not sure many lapped up what Yogi or CC said......I find PF refreshingly honest, tells it how it is, and none of this "the boys tried hard" etc etc

I know many that were reaching for the Kleenex when Yogi spoke.

fatbloke
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
No, I cannot see any real difference, especially compared to Hughes. I don't subscribe to theory either that PF knows what he is talking about, he has proved nothing to me in his stint so far at ER. In fact if anything, I think he has been found wanting more than his predecessors.

:top marks:agree:

IWasThere2016
09-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Having some new players in to do the necessary strengthening of a poor squad and getting them settled in would help. Three and a bit weeks to ko and we have a squad too light for any major improvement on last term IMHO.

jacomo
09-07-2012, 10:32 PM

Afraid I agree with this. PF at least wants the job, but he's out of his depth.

SmokieJoe
09-07-2012, 10:41 PM

At least we can honestly say that PF shared our frustration last season to the point of getting a ban from the institutionalised in weegee land.

The man is as passionate as we are about our team, lets hope every one of us shares that passion for the new season:pfgwa

Cropley10
09-07-2012, 10:58 PM
What was he saying before the Cup Final? I can't recall, exactly but I bet it sounded good. Sorry but I've still not got anywhere near getting over that day. You can say all the right things, be as passionate as you like but still not know what you're doing.

Bishop Hibee
09-07-2012, 10:59 PM

Hard to know whether to laugh or cry at this. How the hell did we keep that impostor CC for so long :brickwall

Fenlon will give it his best shot. With the financial constraints being tighter than ever this season, lets hope his best is good enough. Restoring a bit of pride v the Yams and winning more home games will be a minimum requirement.

silverhibee
09-07-2012, 11:52 PM
What was he saying before the Cup Final? I can't recall, exactly but I bet it sounded good. Sorry but I've still not got anywhere near getting over that day. You can say all the right things, be as passionate as you like but still not know what you're doing.

The same.

Hibernia&Alba
10-07-2012, 07:57 AM
We certainly do need to hit the ground running. The opening few fixtures are tough, and we don't want morale destroyed from the get go. Next season needs to be a massive improvement on last, and how we start could be crucial. There's pressure on Pat to produce.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 08:17 AM
It's refreshing to see people giving PF the benefit of the doubt, accepting the limited time frame he had last season, realising its a long term project and trying to understand the constraints he is working under.

Oh no wait let's just go into the new season with a.negative attitude towards the manager. That should help, with a bit luck we might get a new one before the AGM.

How about for once we actually go into a new season actually trying to be supportive of our manager and give him a chance to prove himself.

Manager makes a rallying statement and gets told to 'keep his trap shut'. Brilliant.

IWasThere2016
10-07-2012, 08:20 AM
It's refreshing to see people giving PF the benefit of the doubt, accepting the limited time frame he had last season, realising its a long term project and trying to understand the constraints he is working under.

Oh no wait let's just go into the new season with a.negative attitude towards the manager. That should help, with a bit luck we might get a new one before the AGM.

How about for once we actually go into a new season actually trying to be supportive of our manager and give him a chance to prove himself.

Manager makes a rallying statement and gets told to 'keep his trap shut'. Brilliant.

I agree PB. But it is clear that, some are gonna need longer to forget and forgive for May 19th.

Heaven help RP if PF doesnt see the AGM! He will get lynched.

micka_weer
10-07-2012, 08:28 AM
I agree PB. But it is clear that, some are gonna need longer to forget and forgive for May 19th.

Heaven help RP if PF doesnt see the AGM! He will get lynched.
Agreed, however, and not saying that you're not btw, but we need to give PF time in my opinion. Stick with him for at least another couple od seasons to allow him to 'see out his vision' and produce a team worthy of the Hibs shirts

Pretty Boy
10-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Agreed, however, and not saying that you're not btw, but we need to give PF time in my opinion. Stick with him for at least another couple od seasons to allow him to 'see out his vision' and produce a team worthy of the Hibs shirts

Won't happen.

Read the delusion on here amongst some about the players we 'should be looking at'. Eremenko, Kello, Alan Smith....... We can barely afford these guys travel fares to ER never mind their weekly wage.

Hibs have done what the fans wanted by voting against Newco but sadly that means the financial pressure is greater than ever. We are going to.have to rely on youth and players like Mark Kerr etc

Sadly it seems some fans are just desperate to get ripped into PF and the players as soon as we aren't playing like Barcelona. The rebuilding job is huge and because of the financial situation will take even longer than it previously would have.

Fenlon will be lucky to see Christmas imo because it appears a sizeable minority see our Target as 2nd place, we'll be very, very lucky to acheive that but if we aren't looking good for it you can already see fans ready to turn on PF.

Steve20
10-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Won't happen.

Read the delusion on here amongst some about the players we 'should be looking at'. Eremenko, Kello, Alan Smith....... We can barely afford these guys travel fares to ER never mind their weekly wage.

Hibs have done what the fans wanted by voting against Newco but sadly that means the financial pressure is greater than ever. We are going to.have to rely on youth and players like Mark Kerr etc

Sadly it seems some fans are just desperate to get ripped into PF and the players as soon as we aren't playing like Barcelona. The rebuilding job is huge and because of the financial situation will take even longer than it previously would have.

Fenlon will be lucky to see Christmas imo because it appears a sizeable minority see our Target as 2nd place, we'll be very, very lucky to acheive that but if we aren't looking good for it you can already see fans ready to turn on PF.

No one seriously can think our target is 2nd place. Our target for this season should be to try and challenge for a top six place. Even that is going to need more than a couple of more signings, though.

Offside Trap
10-07-2012, 08:48 AM

But he took us to a Scottish Cup Final. That doesn't merit any credit at all then? He's also identified and secured McPake who I think is exactly the type of on and off field leader we have been missing for some time.

Phil MaGlass
10-07-2012, 09:29 AM

Totally agree,nothing against the guy, he really has a lot on his plate and I hope he can come up with the goods.
apart from Clancy and McPake theres nothing there thats gonnae get extra bums on seats this season.

goosefat
10-07-2012, 09:50 AM
No one seriously can think our target is 2nd place. Our target for this season should be to try and challenge for a top six place. Even that is going to need more than a couple of more signings, though.

I agree. It worries me when a player signs and, like McPake has, comes out with these type of statements. He must realise that, at this point, our squad is still weaker than it was last season. I’d love for us to finish 2nd. Positive thinking is one thing but being realistic would be, well...a bit more realistic.

Weir7
10-07-2012, 09:52 AM
But he took us to a Scottish Cup Final. That doesn't merit any credit at all then? He's also identified and secured McPake who I think is exactly the type of on and off field leader we have been missing for some time.
For me you get judged out what you do in the league. Lucky teams can win cups. Poor teams finish low down in league.
I'm not convinced he has got it tacticly. Time will tell.

Weir7
10-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Correct. When I saw them training on the STV news last night. Very worrieD we you see how poor the squad is. We need 6 players at the level of McKpake.

Weir7
10-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Won't happen.

Can't use Newco as an excuse no body knows the finacial impact of that.

Fenlon has to state his startegy - like the **** - going with youth augmented with senior pros at the level of McKpake. Punters will support that strategy and cut the laddies a bit of slack as they learn their trade

Andy74
10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Correct. When I saw them training on the STV news last night. Very worrieD we you see how poor the squad is. We need 6 players at the level of McKpake.

Which other teams have six players at the level of McPake though?

I'd love this team to be rebuilt tomorrow but it's not going to happen like that - we have been poor for quite some time and it looks as though everything done at the club ina football sense needed an overhaul.

It may take a few windows to gradually add the required characters and quality.

However, I don't think many other teams are muich better off. Most of the teams that done well last year have lost 3 or 4 of their key players and not many have added players I'd be that worried about.

We need to be supportive though, concluding that the manager is out his depth having had to manage that shower that he was left with is particulalry missing the point.

Offside Trap
10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
For me you get judged out what you do in the league. Lucky teams can win cups. Poor teams finish low down in league.
I'm not convinced he has got it tacticly. Time will tell.

Don't disagree with your point. Liverpool last season would be a good example...and we know what happened to Dalglish.

Just hope we give Fenlon some time to build - IMHO the early signs are encouraging - but clearly not everyone on here seeing it that way or willing to take the medium term view....

Weir7
10-07-2012, 10:20 AM

I'd love this team to be rebuilt tomorrow but it's not going to happen like that - we have been poor for quite some time and it looks as though everything done at the club ina football sense needed an overhaul.

However, I don't think many other teams are muich better off. Most of the teams that done well last year have lost 3 or 4 of their key players and not many have added players I'd be that worried about.

We need to be supportive though, concluding that the manager is out his depth having had to manage that shower that he was left with is particulalry missing the point.
Not interested in other teams.

Don't need you telling me to supportive. If I think hez out his depth. That's what i'll think.

He signed lots of players in Jan and nothing much changed. O'Neill went to Sunderland and improved things.

I've seen no signs he has it tactically. Hope I'm wrong.

Keith_M
10-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Wow, there are so many Hibs fans just waiting to knock everything that anyone at Hibs says and does.

The guy has merely stated a fact and is not trying to hide behind excuses. I see NO problem with that whatsoever.

FWIW, I don't think this guy is anywhere near the finished article, but so what? He is quite obviouslly comitted to the club and I'm quite sure he's willing to learn. That's good enough for me.

kaimendhibs
10-07-2012, 11:33 AM
PF is trying to change everything at the club as far as I can see. Getting in players who are more interested in playing than partying and emptying anyone who is disruptive. He has signed 3 players so far who I am happy with. IF I was PF I would ban the players from looking at this site!! Are the fans of other teams as critical and negative as ours? Give our manager a break and support the players, might be refreshing.

Phil MaGlass
10-07-2012, 12:02 PM
PF is trying to change everything at the club as far as I can see. Getting in players who are more interested in playing than partying and emptying anyone who is disruptive. He has signed 3 players so far who I am happy with. IF I was PF I would ban the players from looking at this site!! Are the fans of other teams as critical and negative as ours? Give our manager a break and support the players, might be refreshing.

Definitely, Aberdeen supporters are more negative and critical.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2012, 12:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=273eSvOwpKk

Jones28
10-07-2012, 08:12 PM
I know many that were reaching for the Kleenex when Yogi spoke.

I did

Stuffed my ears with it to stop me hearing him :agree:

Jones28
10-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Not interested in other teams.

Don't need you telling me to supportive. If I think hez out his depth. That's what i'll think.

He signed lots of players in Jan and nothing much changed. O'Neill went to Sunderland and improved things.

I've seen no signs he has it tactically. Hope I'm wrong.

His remit till the end of the season was to keep Hibs in the SPL. I think if CC was still in charge I think we would have still been in the ****, possibly even moreso. I certainly don't think Calderwood would have got us away wins at Killie, ICT, Aberdeen and Dunfermline.

Hibercelona
10-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Season just about to start and people already have their firearms out.

Only on .net

Scouse Hibee
10-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Season just about to start and people already have their firearms out.

Only on .net

Aye imagine that eh! People having differing opinions on a football forum message board.

Hibercelona
10-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Aye imagine that eh! People having differing opinions on a football forum message board.

Opinions based on what? Last seasons quick patch up work?

Fenlons job was to keep us up last season and thats exactly what he did.

I'm not saying he is the man for the job, but I don't think it's fair to say that he isn't either.

Lets not jump to any conclusions before the season even starts.

DaveF
10-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Fenlon has a massive job on his hands in trying to change the losing culture at HFC into a winning one. He just about managed to bail out the sinking ship last season, and is now starting to build his own team.

Sure the cup disaster had \ still has many asking questions of him - and to be honest, I'm pretty certain he's looked at his own failings there and addressed them.

Let's get behind him and the club. We are at a low ebb, but we can turn it around.

GGTTH

Scouse Hibee
10-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Opinions based on what? Last seasons quick patch up work?

Fenlons job was to keep us up last season and thats exactly what he did.

I'm not saying he is the man for the job, but I don't think it's fair to say that he isn't either.

Lets not jump to any conclusions before the season even starts.

I see what your saying but like it or not people will have differing opinions! Call it a quick patch up last season if you like but we still saw enough to form an opinion on Fenlon as a manager or is that not allowed?

Baldy Foghorn
10-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Fenlon has a massive job on his hands in trying to change the losing culture at HFC into a winning one. He just about managed to bail out the sinking ship last season, and is now starting to build his own team.

Sure the cup disaster had \ still has many asking questions of him - and to be honest, I'm pretty certain he's looked at his own failings there and addressed them.

Let's get behind him and the club. We are at a low ebb, but we can turn it around.

GGTTH

PF spoke tonight at the LWT Forum......He said again that we are too soft, he wants to get players in who have nastier mentality, he knew of the drinking culture and was not impressed by it, citing that most of the players involved are no longer at club....He wants to get back to playing with width, and he wants to give the fans something to be proud of....He comes across as articulate and passionate with a real desire to succeed......

I actually think I love him.....

oconnors_strip
10-07-2012, 10:42 PM
PF spoke tonight at the LWT Forum......He said again that we are too soft, he wants to get players in who have nastier mentality, he knew of the drinking culture and was not impressed by it, citing that most of the players involved are no longer at club....He wants to get back to playing with width, and he wants to give the fans something to be proud of....He comes across as articulate and passionate with a real desire to succeed......

:agree:

shame the question session with him wasnt recorded to show people on here!

WhileTheChief..
10-07-2012, 10:44 PM

Good to hear.

I think at last we have a manager who sees what we see and will quickly sort it out.

I don't get why folk are so down just now. I'm really looking forward to the new season with our new team. Fresh start and all that.

What's LWT?

Baldy Foghorn
10-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Good to hear.

I think at last we have a manager who sees what we see and will quickly sort it out.

I don't get why folk are so down just now. I'm really looking forward to the new season with our new team. Fresh start and all that.

What's LWT?

I agree with you, looking forward to kick off.

LWT is Let's Work Together, think there were around 30 people tonight, diverse group working on different things, like Sales & Marketing, Vision, Communication, Matchday experience etc....

Andy74
11-07-2012, 08:49 AM

I think I loved him anyway but he was really impressive. He is a natural winner and has been really hurt by what he has seen here. I think suggestions that he himself could have had these guys performing bteer are wide of the mark when you hear what he has to say about the players and the culture he was left with.

It did sound like he wants a couple of wide players as he talked about needing to change the style to play with the width at ER. He said that the 442 with 4 central players just didn't work but it was all he had.

He has certainly sussed the George Street crowd out and he feels that they are all gone.

He admitted that the majority of players did not care about losing the cup final. Certain players he was going to try and keep were let go after their reaction to the final. Club aware of the stuff following the interviews.

He wanted to play some of the kids who were almost ready but couldn't in the position we are. Lindsay later said Caldwell and Stanton would be in full squad and that Stanton would be providing some of the flair we need. He also rated Handling as Steven Fletcher standard but with two feet. No pressure there.

Lindsay confirmed that wage bugdet was flexible and entirely up to the manager. James McPake was quoted as proof that we have no fixed ceiling for one player. Lindsay suggesed McPake move was hardest thing he has tried to do in football.

Fenlon pleased with Williams - felt last year Stack and Brown were too similar and the standard needed changed. Thinks he is one who will handle the pressure.

Fenlon talked about Hearts and their desire to beat us. He thought we were beaten before we played them, particularly at Tynecastle. Wants to see that change in team and fans and will talk to team specifically abut facing Hearts and how to handle it.

He doesn't think we have handled a battle and recruitment of characters are key both in senior players but also in kids we recruit.

He is changing the scouting system and something will be announced in next few weeks.

He also want us to do something about atmosphere - can we all gather in East Stand - make it intimidating for example - has some ideas about ER but needs Board to approve them. too friendly for away teams who get well looked after here.

Happy with budget, can match any team in Scotland at our level and can offer better facilities to tempt players who can get more money in England.

Lindsay also confirmed later that on things such as the Sheridan deal or Goodwin we will not be beaten by these teams on moey but we will aslo draw the line if request get silly - hinted at payments perhaps to am agent with the Sheridan thing.

Board members all seemed genuine in the fact that they have been hurting too and are looking to the fans initiative to help them get certain messages across as there is an acceptance that there is a disconnect and lack of trust and that any messgaes from them now are not being taken in the right way.

Kris1875
11-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I think I loved him anyway but he was really impressive. He is a natural winner and has been really hurt by what he has seen here. I think suggestions that he himself could have had these guys performing bteer are wide of the mark when you hear what he has to say about the players and the culture he was left with.

It did sound like he wants a couple of wide players as he talked about needing to change the style to play with the width at ER. He said that the 442 with 4 central players just didn't work but it was all he had.

He has certainly sussed the George Street crowd out and he feels that they are all gone.

He admitted that the majority of players did not care about losing the cup final. Certain players he was going to try and keep were let go after their reaction to the final. Club aware of the stuff following the interviews.

He wanted to play some of the kids who were almost ready but couldn't in the position we are. Lindsay later said Caldwell and Stanton would be in full squad and that Stanton would be providing some of the flair we need. He also rated Handling as Steven Fletcher standard but with two feet. No pressure there.

Lindsay confirmed that wage bugdet was flexible and entirely up to the manager. James McPake was quoted as proof that we have no fixed ceiling for one player. Lindsay suggesed McPake move was hardest thing he has tried to do in football.

Fenlon pleased with Williams - felt last year Stack and Brown were too similar and the standard needed changed. Thinks he is one who will handle the pressure.

Fenlon talked about Hearts and their desire to beat us. He thought we were beaten before we played them, particularly at Tynecastle. Wants to see that change in team and fans and will talk to team specifically abut facing Hearts and how to handle it.

He doesn't think we have handled a battle and recruitment of characters are key both in senior players but also in kids we recruit.

He is changing the scouting system and something will be announced in next few weeks.

He also want us to do something about atmosphere - can we all gather in East Stand - make it intimidating for example - has some ideas about ER but needs Board to approve them. too friendly for away teams who get well looked after here.

Happy with budget, can match any team in Scotland at our level and can offer better facilities to tempt players who can get more money in England.

Lindsay also confirmed later that on things such as the Sheridan deal or Goodwin we will not be beaten by these teams on moey but we will aslo draw the line if request get silly - hinted at payments perhaps to am agent with the Sheridan thing.

Board members all seemed genuine in the fact that they have been hurting too and are looking to the fans initiative to help them get certain messages across as there is an acceptance that there is a disconnect and lack of trust and that any messgaes from them now are not being taken in the right way.

Thanks for telling everyone this I hope PF gets the chance to implement the changes he wants to . Still think its going to be a tough season but hopefully we are seeing the laying of foundations that will be to everyone's liking and to the benefit of fans and players alike !! GGTTH !

micka_weer
11-07-2012, 09:03 AM
All sounds positive Andy, really have a lot of confidence in Pat, at the risk of repeating myself, what he is setting out to achieve can't be done in one transfer window alone and I just hope we buck the trend and allow him the time to complete his 'vision'. Cheers for the info from you and BF

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2012, 12:33 PM
I think Andy74's post can give us cause for optimism and confirms to me the way Pat comes across. Nobody can doubt Pat's enthusiasm and his desire to make Hibs better, but we also know he will be judged on results. I like him very much and really hope we can hit the ground running and witness a big improvement next season. We've a tough start to the season and could really do with establishing some early momentum. Winning the derby would be a massive boost. We need to break our inferiority complex.

Stevie Reid
12-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Just seen this, a very reassuring read. Thanks for posting.