PDA

View Full Version : Khan v Garcia

marinello59
08-07-2012, 06:15 PM
The first Pro fight I will have ever attended so what should I expect and more importantly, what should my money go on?

Pretty Boy
08-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Get your money on Khan. If Garcia walks forward like he has in the 3 or 4 previous fights I've seen him in the Khan will pick him off all night with his hand speed. Beating the ghost of Erik Morales past doesn't make someone a great fighter.

As for the fight itself there will probably be about 8 fights on the card, a few 6 rounders and then a couple of 10 or 12 rounders on the televised undercard. Not sure how the ticket sales are going but if its quite slow then get there early and you might get an.upgraded seat to make it look busier, this happened to me at Hatton v Malignaggi when only about 9000 tickets were sold. Other than that the build up is very similar to what I do before a football match: few beers and a bit of banter.

If you enjoy it get yourself to the SECC on 22nd September for Burns v Mitchell, that will be a cracker.

marinello59
08-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Get your money on Khan. If Garcia walks forward like he has in the 3 or 4 previous fights I've seen him in the Khan will pick him off all night with his hand speed. Beating the ghost of Erik Morales past doesn't make someone a great fighter.

As for the fight itself there will probably be about 8 fights on the card, a few 6 rounders and then a couple of 10 or 12 rounders on the televised undercard. Not sure how the ticket sales are going but if its quite slow then get there early and you might get an.upgraded seat to make it look busier, this happened to me at Hatton v Malignaggi when only about 9000 tickets were sold. Other than that the build up is very similar to what I do before a football match: few beers and a bit of banter.

If you enjoy it get yourself to the SECC on 22nd September for Burns v Mitchell, that will be a cracker.

Seemingly very slow so an upgrade is defintely on the cards. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the heads up on what fights to expect. All I know is that the undercard starts 3 hours before the televised bout. I am almost as excited about this as I have been about any big fitba game.

VickMackie
08-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Not seen the Garcia boy fight but hope he beats Khan whose just a new cash cow with 'flurry' hand speed that makes him look better than he is.

IWasThere2016
12-07-2012, 11:57 AM

This. Garcia should suit Khan to a tee!

Pretty Boy
15-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Khan KO'd in 4!!

Yet again he looked far too far ahead of himself and ignored a live opponent.

Goodbye Floyd Mayweather, hello Doncaster Leisure Centre.

IWasThere2016
15-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Garcia was class. What a left hook! Khan's plans in tatters. Khan started well but timing beats speed and Garcia's game plan was spot on! Still undefeated - nae mug!

Pretty Boy
15-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Garcia was class. What a left hook! Khan's plans in tatters. Khan started well but timing beats speed and Garcia's game plan was spot on! Still undefeated - nae mug!

Still quite shocked.

First couple of rounds where exactly as I thought but as soon as he found the range with those left hooks it was just a matter of time.

Khan doing all the wrong things when hurt and that's the first time I've really noticed just how limited Khan is. He doesn't even seem to ever throw hooks, as soon as Garcia neutralised the fast straight lefts and rights I just knew it was going to end in tears for Khan........again.

marinello59
15-07-2012, 04:18 AM

:agree:
Amazed that he managed to fight on after the first knock down. Disappointed that Khan lost as my money was on him but what a buzz being in that room was.

VickMackie
15-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Goodnight.

Gatecrasher
15-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Khan (:wink:) we put it to bed that Khan is actually an average boxer now?

YehButNoBut
15-07-2012, 04:55 PM
BBC Sporf‏@BBCSporfBREAKING: News reaches the Mayweather Camp,as rapper 50 Cent informs Floyd Mayweather that Amir Khan is ready to fight

https://p.twimg.com/Ax1UgtdCIAAfNte.jpg

VickMackie
15-07-2012, 05:01 PM
BBC Sporf‏@BBCSporfBREAKING: News reaches the Mayweather Camp,as rapper 50 Cent informs Floyd Mayweather that Amir Khan is ready to fight

https://p.twimg.com/Ax1UgtdCIAAfNte.jpg

Hahaha brilliant. I said earlier that he should just quit now. If he comes back at world level he will probably get his ass handed to him again.

If he takes a step down to build his career back up he will still get exposed at the highest level.

He's just a cash cow, soon to be carcass IMO.

Pretty Boy
15-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Hahaha brilliant. I said earlier that he should just quit now. If he comes back at world level he will probably get his ass handed to him again.

If he takes a step down to build his career back up he will still get exposed at the highest level.

He's just a cash cow, soon to be carcass IMO.

He's finished at world level for the forseeable future. He'll need a couple of convincing wins before he can be seen as a credible fight for a champion again.

I still can't believe how easily Garcia walked through Khans punches. But even more unbelievable is Khans stupidity. Khan is a boxer who's always 'jumped in' but because of his speed he usually gets away with it. Last night even when Khan was on top early doors Garcia was getting very close with the left hook and when you have a chin like Khan when your luck runs out or the other guys timing is spot on you're in bother. Khan got caught, deserves credit for getting up and continuing when he was all over the place but then kept doing the same things again. If anyone watches the fight again you'll see that after the knockdown Garcia throws about 10 wild left hooks because he knows if one.connects its over and because of how Khan is fighting eventually one will hit. Khan at this point should be running away, holding and clinching and basically doing anything he can to buy time instead he tries to go toe to toe, trade blows and keep coming forward. Really begs the question as to what Roach was telling him in the corner or whether Khan just didn't listen.

It's long been debated who would have won a fight between Khan at his peak and Ricky Hatton at his, if Khans punching power is really as lacking as it was last night and with Hattons ability to walk through walls I know where my money would be.

Future17
15-07-2012, 08:30 PM
What about Garcia's prospects for the future?

VickMackie
15-07-2012, 10:46 PM
You're right about Khan tactics after he was hurt. I really don't see where he goes from here.

Surely if he goes up a weight he will be getting hit harder. His speed may help but as you say, his powderpuff punches, probably won't help him at the next weight

Re Garcia, I must admit I hadn't seen him before this fight so not sure where he'll go.

He looks like he could be involved in entertaining fights though.

marinello59
22-07-2012, 11:13 AM
He's finished at world level for the forseeable future. He'll need a couple of convincing wins before he can be seen as a credible fight for a champion again.

I still can't believe how easily Garcia walked through Khans punches. But even more unbelievable is Khans stupidity. Khan is a boxer who's always 'jumped in' but because of his speed he usually gets away with it. Last night even when Khan was on top early doors Garcia was getting very close with the left hook and when you have a chin like Khan when your luck runs out or the other guys timing is spot on you're in bother. Khan got caught, deserves credit for getting up and continuing when he was all over the place but then kept doing the same things again. If anyone watches the fight again you'll see that after the knockdown Garcia throws about 10 wild left hooks because he knows if one.connects its over and because of how Khan is fighting eventually one will hit. Khan at this point should be running away, holding and clinching and basically doing anything he can to buy time instead he tries to go toe to toe, trade blows and keep coming forward. Really begs the question as to what Roach was telling him in the corner or whether Khan just didn't listen.

It's long been debated who would have won a fight between Khan at his peak and Ricky Hatton at his, if Khans punching power is really as lacking as it was last night and with Hattons ability to walk through walls I know where my money would be.

Was it stupidity or had he ever recovered from the first knock down? When he came out for Round 4 I mentioned to the guy next to me that he still looked out of it. After his second knock down i actually thought it would be stopped. My impression was that it would not have mattered one jot what his corner was saying, he was in no state to act on it. As I said in my opening post it was the first Pro fight I had been to. All sports are better live but after watching so many fights on TV over the years the difference in what you actually see when there is staggering.
As for Garcia, I was lucky enough to bump in to Jim Watt in the hotel the night before the fight. He rated Garcia but thought the fight might just have been a little to soon for him so tipped Khan to win. Maybe Garcia is much better than he is given credit for.

VickMackie
22-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I felt the ref was giving Khan a chance to get back into the fight. Was that the feeling in the arena?

I think if it was the other way round it would have been stopped earlier. However, I do believe that fights are stopped too early a lot of the time now so was glad to see it go on.

If you look at Khan's chicken dance right at the bell after the 3rd round you can see his legs/brain are gone. He had no control over them. The refs back was turned or he might not have made it out for the 4th.

marinello59
22-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I felt the ref was giving Khan a chance to get back into the fight. Was that the feeling in the arena?I think if it was the other way round it would have been stopped earlier. However, I do believe that fights are stopped too early a lot of the time now so was glad to see it go on.

If you look at Khan's chicken dance right at the bell after the 3rd round you can see his legs/brain are gone. He had no control over them. The refs back was turned or he might not have made it out for the 4th.

Possibly but to be honest I was too far caught up in the electrifying atmpsphere to give a definitive answer.
One observation I would like to add. I went there expecting a football style crowd supporting Khan against Garcia which was putting me off taking my 10 year old son along in case things got nasty. . I worried needlessly, he loved it and I will not hesitate to take him to a Boxing promotion again. There was a large number of Khan fans there but at the end they all stood and applauded Garcia.