PDA

View Full Version : Stephen McManus

erin-go-bragh87
07-07-2012, 09:40 PM
@AgentScotland: Hibernian are looking at the possibility of signing Stephen McManus, either on loan or if he's freed by Boro, hes got options but wants home

No idea how reliable this guy is but I've just seen the above on twitter, what do you all think?

Iceman1875
07-07-2012, 09:44 PM
In a heartbeat, yes.

Scooter
07-07-2012, 09:45 PM
I think his agent is doing a great job

Billychaotic182
07-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Would love him at hibs.

frazeHFC
07-07-2012, 09:51 PM
I think we were rumoured to be after him in January too? I would take him though. :agree:

Jonnyboy
07-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Aye but is he good enough for all the doubting Thomases? :greengrin

Lets face it, he's nae Mark Kerr :wink:

Cocaine&Caviar
07-07-2012, 10:08 PM
In a heartbeat, yes.

:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
07-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Is Michalik (spelling), not coming then if we are looking at SM?

Cocaine&Caviar
07-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Is Michalik (spelling), not coming then if we are looking at SM?

SM such a higher calibre player than Mich.

ekhibee
07-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Well he's a centre half so u have to wonder where Clancy would be playing, although in his interview he did say he can play left/right back. Interesting, but don't know if it's true. I do remember McManus putting a shocking tackle in on Fletcher a few years back, and a couple of seasons before that, when he wasn't 1st choice at Celtic, I think we were sniffing about for him then.

The Harp Awakes
07-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Would be a brilliant signing if we could get him. A big drop in wages would be the problem.

offshorehibby
07-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Well he's a centre half so u have to wonder where Clancy would be playing, although in his interview he did say he can play left/right back. Interesting, but don't know if it's true. I do remember McManus putting a shocking tackle in on Fletcher a few years back, and a couple of seasons before that, when he wasn't 1st choice at Celtic, I think we were sniffing about for him then.

I think you'll find Clancy will be playing at right back.

SouthMoroccoStu
07-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Would be a brilliant signing if we could get him. A big drop in wages would be the problem.

This sums it up for me.......

Brilliant but too many ifs

SMAXXA
07-07-2012, 11:44 PM
delighted pf seems to be still looking at centre halfs and other defenders. James mcp and another ch and left back and I'd fell very pleased with the shopping so far.

All we need now is a couple of wingers a big sutton/kyle/mixu type striker with doyle who I believe as hard as it may seem will be our number 1 striker this season. Love a wee nippy forward but if you have good wingers you don't really need one imo

SouthMoroccoStu
07-07-2012, 11:55 PM
delighted pf seems to be still looking at centre halfs and other defenders. James mcp and another ch and left back and I'd fell very pleased with the shopping so far.

All we need now is a couple of wingers a big sutton/kyle/mixu type striker with doyle who I believe as hard as it may seem will be our number 1 striker this season. Love a wee nippy forward but if you have good wingers you don't really need one imo

I would be very happy with McManus, deano, a keeper to challenge brown and a big out-an-out striker........

Then we would be ready for the new season.

After spending an evening with a load of *bleeping* jambos, it's good to be around sensible non inter-breeding people once again

lyonhibs
08-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Let us not kid ourselves, McManus would dander into our starting 11 at the moment.

Yes, yes, 1 thousand times yes from me :agree:

danhibees1875
08-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Don't see it happening but would be a good signing. Clancy, mcpake, mcmanus, hanlon would be a good back 4. Just a gk, couple of midfielders and some strikers to go....

Steve-O
08-07-2012, 01:15 AM
This @AgentScotland Twitter keeps posting such rumours...none of which have come true yet. Could be a loadypish.

SMAXXA
08-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Let us not kid ourselves, McManus would dander into our starting 11 at the moment.

Yes, yes, 1 thousand times yes from me :agree:

What you talking about we dont currently have a starting eleven :wink:

sauzee=legend
08-07-2012, 04:53 AM
People will shoot me down for this - BUT I wouldn't like him near our team & here are my reasons why.
1. If you watch him carefully during matches, he always gets a CM to stand straight Infront of him to prevent anyone running at him (which leads perfectly into reason 2)
2. Any player who runs at him will beat him all day, all he can do is head the ball.
3. Sits far to deep behind his CH partner as he has a lack of pace.

HOWEVER - he does have good leadership qualities which would be a bonus around our squad/dressing room.

Scooter
08-07-2012, 07:01 AM
People will shoot me down for this - BUT I wouldn't like him near our team & here are my reasons why.
1. If you watch him carefully during matches, he always gets a CM to stand straight Infront of him to prevent anyone running at him (which leads perfectly into reason 2)
2. Any player who runs at him will beat him all day, all he can do is head the ball.

HOWEVER - he does have good leadership qualities which would be a bonus around our squad/dressing room.
Good points only thing I would say that this would work for him is Mcpake has got good pace

KanyeWestLower
08-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Agree with the above and would add that he can pretty reckless with his tackling and decision making, unless he has improved since his selik days

PeterboroHibee
08-07-2012, 07:06 AM
This @AgentScotland Twitter keeps posting such rumours...none of which have come true yet. Could be a loadypish.

Yeah Im not sure where he gets his information from. Was it not him who posted there was nothing going on at Hibs right before McPake and Cairney signed?

If true however, Id be delighted with McManus. Our defence would be looking pretty good for next season!

The Sea-gull
08-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Would be a good signing. Him and McPake would easily be the best centre half partnership we have had in years. Wages might be an issue but maybe the call of home would ring strong for him. This is who we should be trying to sign. Not your Mark Kerrs and Alan Mayburys.

ALF TUPPER
08-07-2012, 07:18 AM
That would be a great signing. Not a afraid to throw himself about a bit and bags of experience at all levels. ( had a wee look at him again on you tube)

Seriously doubt he's within our budget but maybe he's made his money and at 29/30 (?) and he wants regular 1st team football and of course wants home. It's pretty much known thats a wee revolution goin on down Easter Road way ..... Perhaps he wants to be part if it. So who knows eh? Would be good to have him on board.

DanTheMan
08-07-2012, 07:25 AM
I'd take him and Darren O'Dea.

lucky
08-07-2012, 08:39 AM
He would be a great signing. I would state he would be the marque signing that some are demanding. It would give us a very good defensive back four of Clancy, McPake, McManus and Hanlon. But not much attacking from the full backs

number9dream
08-07-2012, 08:59 AM

Allan 'Biscuits' Preston would be my guess...

As for McManus, that would be a great signing. He's got top level experience and isn't 30 yet, which came as a bit of a surprise.
He would need to accept a massive drop in salary.
If Boro, who have just brought Woodgate back, give him a pay-off and he really wants to come back to Scotland then it could just happen. Nobody else will be offering much in the way of wages, now that Hearts are operating in the real world...

Thomson
08-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Yeah Im not sure where he gets his information from. Was it not him who posted there was nothing going on at Hibs right before McPake and Cairney signed?

If true however, Id be delighted with McManus. Our defence would be looking pretty good for next season!

That was @TheTransferLad that claimed nothing was going on when, the day after, it was revealed that mcpake had joined. :aok:

VickMackie
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
I'd take him. Thought he was older.

Aldo
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Would take SM in a minute but won't happen. He's prob surplus to requirements at boro with wood gate returning.

Would be excellent foil fur McPake. Outwith our price range I'm afraid.

YehButNoBut
08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Seems like he would prefer to play abroad if poss.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/england/2012/07/08/middlesbrough-stopper-stephen-mcmanus-eyes-move-abroad-as-he-nears-end-of-contract-86908-23906057/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

McManus told MailSport: “I’ve really enjoyed it in England but I have an ambition to play abroad. I’m open to different things.

Smiggy 7-0
08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Don't see it happening but would be a good signing. Clancy, mcpake, mcmanus, hanlon would be a good back 4. Just a gk, couple of midfielders and some strikers to go....

Agree on that back four, if not McManus then Mich-thingamybob.

Still need a gk, 2 midfielders (one with a brain), and 2 strikers (one that can bully defenders)

NOLA
08-07-2012, 06:38 PM
carthorse. no thanks.

08-07-2012, 07:20 PM

:agree:

Tha Cabbage Kid
08-07-2012, 07:25 PM

hanlon at left back is a no for me

woody47
08-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Maybe my memory is going but I never thought he was up to much. Over-rated and used to get caught out a lot. Could never play offside as he was too slow to come out with the rest of the defence.
Are things really that desperate?

SMAXXA
08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Maybe my memory is going but I never thought he was up to much. Over-rated and used to get caught out a lot. Could never play offside as he was too slow to come out with the rest of the defence.
Are things really that desperate?

Mcpake is quick so it would be a yes for me, can't see it happening tho

leggeto
08-07-2012, 08:16 PM

dont need any other leader we have the mcpake

lyonhibs
08-07-2012, 08:19 PM

Eh????? We need as many leaders as possible on the pitch. McPake can't carry the whole team by himself!!

Scouse Hibee
08-07-2012, 08:35 PM

I wouldn't complain if we had 11 leaders on the pitch.

Since90+2
08-07-2012, 08:36 PM
He'd walk into our team , infact any team in Scotland outwith Celtic. Take him in a second.

He must be on atleast 10k at Boro though so cant imagine him wanting to take a more than 50% pay cut.

tamig
08-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Mcpake is quick so it would be a yes for me, can't see it happening tho

McPake's quick? Imo that's the one thing he isn't.

Hibernia&Alba
08-07-2012, 09:29 PM
He's slow and mediocre, plus we can't affod him. Forget it.

PeterboroHibee
08-07-2012, 09:30 PM

McPake is fairly pacy for a CB. Cant remember who it was, but it was one of the quicker forwards in the SPL McPake was up against, and he comfortably beat him in a foot race.

tamig
08-07-2012, 09:34 PM
McPake is fairly pacy for a CB. Cant remember who it was, but it was one of the quicker forwards in the SPL McPake was up against, and he comfortably beat him in a foot race.

He was also ripped a few times by some players not renowned for their Usain Bolt-like pace. I think him and Hanlon did ok together, but I'd much rather see a quick centre half in beside him. The partnership - McPake and Hanlon - will never deal with pace.

IWasThere2016
08-07-2012, 09:37 PM
No chance!

jamieross
08-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Eh????? We need as many leaders as possible on the pitch. McPake can't carry the whole team by himself!!

He did for most of the second half of last season :wink:

But i get what your saying! We need leaders all over the pitch, not just one. Would be beneficial for any youngsters in the team.:aok:

SMAXXA
08-07-2012, 09:49 PM

You must be watching a different player from me then as I think he's definitely got decent pace.

Can't think of a quicker centre half we have had in a long while, maybe bamba.

AlbertK86
08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Didn't like him for Scotland but reckon he could still do a job in SPL.

Would defo take him So that the whole back 5 from early last season is changed

New GK

Clancy McPake. McManus Smith

murray26
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Would take him in a minute but cant see it happening.

blackpoolhibs
08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Would take him in a minute but cant see it happening.

:agree: I'd have thought we cant afford him, as for McPake being quick, he's no slouch but he's not the quickest. He's good though with reading and positioning, and getting between the player and the ball in a race.

allezsauzee
09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Kerr, McManus and Maybury...any chance we could sign a keeper and a striker? :rolleyes:

.Sean.
09-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Kerr, McManus and Maybury...any chance we could sign a keeper and a striker? :rolleyes:

Would you take Craig Beattie?

Pretty Boy
09-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Is that a hint Sean?

truehibernian
09-07-2012, 06:31 PM

I'd be happier with Boothy being given a run at left midfield sean......how's his fitness ?

Aldo
09-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Ye cannae come out with a statement like that and leave us hanging.

You know something we don't... ie this meeting this morn??

Aldo
09-07-2012, 06:37 PM

O and yes I would