PDA

View Full Version : Marquee signing?

Halifaxhibby
07-07-2012, 05:14 PM
A lot of talk lately coming from the board and fenlon regarding budget for this season relying on season ticket sales, don't know who is head of marketing at hibs but a blind man in a dark room could see our ST sales would drop this year, take out the gutless scottish cup final performance we still finished second bottom and that went pretty much to the wire.

Football isn't quite like other business', if rod and pat want more cash to spend, they have to spend a little themselves, a marquee signing would generate interest, show the club has ambition especially with the huns gone, Carpe diem and all that!!, look what happened when we signed george best, we put another 8k on the gate for his first game, ok it didn't work out too well due to george but you catch my drift.

Hibs are probably in a better financial position than most clubs in the spl at the moment and with the peepel gone we have a better chance of reaching europe.

C'MON HIBS SPLASH A MILLION ON A PLAYER LIKE EREMENKO WHO WAS AT KILLIE!, DON'T BOTTLE IT AS USUAL, YOU CAN GIVE THE GUY A GREAT SIGNING ON FEE TO COMPENSATE HIS POOR WEEKLY WAGE, THUS NOT BREAKING THE WAGE STRUCTURE!! THE CLUB TALKS ABOUT BRINGING IN QUALITY, WELL APART FROM MCPAKE (APOLOGIES TO CAIRNEY AND CLANCY I HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH OF YOU BOTH YET) WE SEEM TO BE AT THE BACK OF THE PACK AGAIN!!!

GGTTH
FTHMFC

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I will start.... there will be no inTENT to make a marquee signing.

Allant1981
07-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Would love to see hibs spend some money but we dont have any to spend, id rather we signed a really strong team rather than a load of dummies and 1 good player

Iceman1875
07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Craig Gordon??? :D

chrisski33
07-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Dont think we are in a better finanicial position than other spl teams as can see us having a bigger loss than last years £800k after last season despite the cup final revenue. Think our marque signing has been mcpake.

ScottB
07-07-2012, 05:34 PM
So you've been paying a lot of attention then...

1. We've been spending beyond our means for years now.
2. Income is going to be way down in the seasons to come, fewer ST's, drop off on TV cash and sponsorship etc.
3. Will it attract significantly higher crowds if we splash a load of money on a 'name' signing? In the short term yes, but in the long run we need a solid team performing to keep those fans coming back. I'd rather our budget went towards getting the best team we can.
4. McPake doesn't count as the sort of signing that would get people excited?

#FromTheCapital
07-07-2012, 05:37 PM

I think there will be and it will create a media circus. Can feel the tentsion building already

steakbake
07-07-2012, 05:40 PM
I'd never have pegged us as a club to make a marquee signing.

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I'd never have pegged us as a club to make a marquee signing.

Aw, c'mon, guy....!!

Bishop Hibee
07-07-2012, 05:43 PM
No need to be be tenterhooks as there won't be enough money if newco start in Div 3. Peg back your expectations although you're welcome to canvas opinion among other posters.

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
McPake.... marquee signing? He's just camp...

Halifaxhibby
07-07-2012, 05:50 PM
So you've been paying a lot of attention then...

1. We've been spending beyond our means for years now.
2. Income is going to be way down in the seasons to come, fewer ST's, drop off on TV cash and sponsorship etc.
3. Will it attract significantly higher crowds if we splash a load of money on a 'name' signing? In the short term yes, but in the long run we need a solid team performing to keep those fans coming back. I'd rather our budget went towards getting the best team we can.
4. McPake doesn't count as the sort of signing that would get people excited?
I appreciate your points but bringing players like best, sauzee, latapy to the club had a valued effect on the youngsters? ,why so much negativity? season is over, time to build again, can't wallow in the past, this is one reason why we struggle to beat hearts every year, why do you and other posters continue to be negative?
No mcpake isn't a marquee signing as he had a clause in the loan contract that said if we wanted him it would cost 100k, the negativity on this site suggest there are more people trying to bring us down than help us!!
I know we are in a world of **** at the moment but please try and be more positive guys??

Every other club is spending without their means and will suffer accordingly, a lposs of an average of 750k a year is small in comparison to the potential hibs have mate.

DON'T BE SO NEGATIVE!!!
GO AND SUPPORT THE YAMS IF U WANT FINANCIAL SECURITY!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

TheGreenMan
07-07-2012, 05:52 PM
A marquee signing would certainly provide more cover than we have at present.

heretoday
07-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Alan Maybury??

HibeeSince85
07-07-2012, 05:56 PM
I appreciate your points but bringing players like best, sauzee, latapy to the club had a valued effect on the youngsters? ,why so much negativity? season is over, time to build again, can't wallow in the past, this is one reason why we struggle to beat hearts every year, why do you and other posters continue to be negative?
No mcpake isn't a marquee signing as he had a clause in the loan contract that said if we wanted him it would cost 100k, the negativity on this site suggest there are more people trying to bring us down than help us!!
I know we are in a world of **** at the moment but please try and be more positive guys??

Every other club is spending without their means and will suffer accordingly, a lposs of an average of 750k a year is small in comparison to the potential hibs have mate.

DON'T BE SO NEGATIVE!!!
GO AND SUPPORT THE YAMS IF U WANT FINANCIAL SECURITY!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

That 100k clause in McPake's contract would have meant if we had paid that we would have paid more than we did for either Sauzee or Latapy IIRC.

Kinda defeats yiur point no?

Mibbes Aye

Surely it's worth canvassing the support to see what they think? :dunno:

Northernhibee
I wouldn't want to have to pitch this to the 'tache

Mibbes Aye
07-07-2012, 05:59 PM
What about a marquee signing who would draw in the Leith Eastern European community?

I think we should be looking at some big Poles :agree:

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
What about a marquee signing who would draw in the Leith Eastern European community?

I think we should be looking at some big Poles :agree:

That would rope them in.

Alfred E Newman
07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
A marquee signing would certainly provide more cover than we have at present.

Especially if it came with a couple of Poles

Mibbes Aye
07-07-2012, 06:02 PM
That would rope them in.

I think we've all got a stake in seeing that happen :agree:

Mibbes Aye
07-07-2012, 06:05 PM
A lot of talk lately coming from the board and fenlon regarding budget for this season relying on season ticket sales, don't know who is head of marketing at hibs but a blind man in a dark room could see our ST sales would drop this year, take out the gutless scottish cup final performance we still finished second bottom and that went pretty much to the wire.

Football isn't quite like other business', if rod and pat want more cash to spend, they have to spend a little themselves, a marquee signing would generate interest, show the club has ambition especially with the huns gone, Carpe diem and all that!!, look what happened when we signed george best, we put another 8k on the gate for his first game, ok it didn't work out too well due to george but you catch my drift.

Hibs are probably in a better financial position than most clubs in the spl at the moment and with the peepel gone we have a better chance of reaching europe.

C'MON HIBS SPLASH A MILLION ON A PLAYER LIKE EREMENKO WHO WAS AT KILLIE!, DON'T BOTTLE IT AS USUAL, YOU CAN GIVE THE GUY A GREAT SIGNING ON FEE TO COMPENSATE HIS POOR WEEKLY WAGE, THUS NOT BREAKING THE WAGE STRUCTURE!! THE CLUB TALKS ABOUT BRINGING IN QUALITY, WELL APART FROM MCPAKE (APOLOGIES TO CAIRNEY AND CLANCY I HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH OF YOU BOTH YET) WE SEEM TO BE AT THE BACK OF THE PACK AGAIN!!!

GGTTH
FTHMFC

I hope if Hibs do go down this route, that they build the anticipation amongst the fans first, with a few hints. It would make it far more exciting if they prime us :agree:

Northernhibee
07-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Hate it when these puns pop-up.

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Hate it when these puns pop-up.

They certainly pay bivvy-dends.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
How about Nade? He will need a Big Top.

ancient hibee
07-07-2012, 06:26 PM
This place is becoming a circus.

Plenty of clowns of course.

Seveno
07-07-2012, 06:30 PM
What do the rest of you guys think ?

jamieross
07-07-2012, 06:31 PM
All this talk of splashing big money on a big name and living beyond our means, do you want us to end up like the huns? :confused:

Thats not a negative point but actually being financially sensible really. Its all fine saying we need a better product on the park (i think we can all agree on that), but it would stupid to spend money we dont actually have and not end up having a club at all.

Seveno
07-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm sure the scouts will come up with one.

Halifaxhibby
07-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Doubt if any of you comedians have been to as many games as i have, crack on with your jokes, i suppose being teenagers on saturday night with nothing else to do shows just what your up to on a saturday night!!

Crack on and bring the club down some more, your not of my generation and don't understand what being a hibee is all about? you were probably ****ting inyour nappy and wiping it on yer face when sauzee was king in scotland, ignore my points if you will but people of your mentality just perpetuate the myth that hibs are bottle merchants on and off the park, i've seen my team rip the jambos apart and i want to get back to those days. DO YOU?

Alfred E Newman
07-07-2012, 06:39 PM
This place is becoming a circus.

Plenty of clowns of course.

Aye, the club is walking on a tightrope.

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Doubt if any of you comedians have been to as many games as i have, crack on with your jokes, i suppose being teenagers on saturday night with nothing else to do shows just what your up to on a saturday night!!

Crack on and bring the club down some more, your not of my generation and don't understand what being a hibee is all about? you were probably ****ting inyour nappy and wiping it on yer face when sauzee was king in scotland, ignore my points if you will but people of your mentality just perpetuate the myth that hibs are bottle merchants on and off the park, i've seen my team rip the jambos apart and i want to get back to those days. DO YOU?

Seveno and I have been vocal in the punning. Between us, we have well over a hundred years on the clock, so your "teenager" comment is well wide of the mark.

Being serious for a moment.... I will ask the obvious question. Where is this money supposed to come from?

jamieross
07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I cant see any teenagers that have posted? No real need for the whole Im a better fan than you attitude, were all here for the same thing.

Also i made a valid argument against your posts but you didnt acknowledge it. If you want to debate on hibs, do it. Everyone knows forums are filled with people who like to make light hearted jokes and not always take it too serious, so no real need to take the huff...

Seveno
07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Seveno and I have been vocal in the punning. Between us, we have well over a hundred years on the clock, so your "teenager" comment is well wide of the mark.

Being serious for a moment.... I will ask the obvious question. Where is this money supposed to come from?

Steady on Croppers, you are giving away State secrets. In any case, we show that you need a sense of humour to be a Hibby.

Spot on though that we can only spend the money we have and any club that does the opposite will end up as a Sevco.

Right, that's me off to the Youth club.

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Steady on Croppers, you are giving away State secrets. In any case, we show that you need a sense of humour to be a Hibby.

Spot on though that we can only spend the money we have and any club that does the opposite will end up as a Sevco.

Right, that's me off to the Youth club.

Pick me up an 18 year old.

And her mate.

snooky
07-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Too many punsters trying to be Smart for my liking :wink:

Halifaxhibby
07-07-2012, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;3287741]Seveno and I have been vocal in the punning. Between us, we have well over a hundred years on the clock, so your "teenager" comment is well wide of the mark.

Being serious for a moment.... I will ask the obvious question. Where is this money supposed to come from?[/QUOT

If you'd actually read my post i talked about spending money ahead of gate receipts and season ticket sales? how do you expect to bring in more revenue after a season like the last unless you speculate? ok its a gamble and it might not work but the support is severely dwindling in season ticket sales we are signing players from clubs who are historically further down the pecking order than us, jim duffy did this and look where it got us, if you invest in the right type of player who has the same attributes as say sauzee who can instill an attitude in the youngsters for the future, is that not money well spent?

I apologise for the teenager comments but i find at times when i am trying to have a constructive debate about hibs it is hijacked by unhelpful comments.

Sorry to all concerned.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2012, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;3287741]Seveno and I have been vocal in the punning. Between us, we have well over a hundred years on the clock, so your "teenager" comment is well wide of the mark.

Being serious for a moment.... I will ask the obvious question. Where is this money supposed to come from?[/QUOT

If you'd actually read my post i talked about spending money ahead of gate receipts and season ticket sales? how do you expect to bring in more revenue after a season like the last unless you speculate? ok its a gamble and it might not work but the support is severely dwindling in season ticket sales we are signing players from clubs who are historically further down the pecking order than us, jim duffy did this and look where it got us, if you invest in the right type of player who has the same attributes as say sauzee who can instill an attitude in the youngsters for the future, is that not money well spent?

I apologise for the teenager comments but i find at times when i am trying to have a constructive debate about hibs it is hijacked by unhelpful comments.

Sorry to all concerned.

Do you think we would be able to attract a big signing? I would love it to happen but can't really see it TBH.

Seveno
07-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Sorry to all concerned.

I understand what you are trying to say but, if the gamble doesn't come off our debt increases and our problems become even worse. We need to rely on our manager to find some hidden gems and to install a good work ethic.

By the way, I am sure that I speak for CWG when I say that we have no objection to being confused with teenagers.

chrisski33
07-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Why is when folk have a laugh on here they get slated? Just chill halifax, and can i ask why ur on here on a sat evening along with the so called teenagers havingg a bit of a laugh?

steakbake
07-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Why is when folk have a laugh on here they get slated? Just chill halifax, and can i ask why ur on here on a sat evening along with the so called teenagers havingg a bit of a laugh?

Because this is a serious place where all must listen to a select band of posters whose views are eminently more important than the usual pish you find on a message board....

Halifaxhibby
07-07-2012, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=Halifaxhibby;3287752]

Do you think we would be able to attract a big signing? I would love it to happen but can't really see it TBH.

I appreciate your comment and i understand, but how else will we get out of this mess?

it breaks my heart to see kidderminster hearts stevenage out bidding us for players even st johnstone!!!

I admire petrie and sir tom for being in the financial position we find ourselves in but to what end?

it's not viable as a football club!!!

We had better youth coming through without east mains?

The people in charge of youth development are not earning their money.

Nor are the overpaid ranks at the highest level.

SHAME ON YOU HIBS DIRECTORS

IF WE DO WELL, TAKE A BIG SLICE, IF WE ARE POOR TAKE A MINIMUM WAGE AS YOU HAVE DONE NOWT!!

IS THAT FAIR?

JohnStephens91
07-07-2012, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;3287755]

I appreciate your comment and i understand, but how else will we get out of this mess?

it breaks my heart to see kidderminster hearts stevenage out bidding us for players even st johnstone!!!

I admire petrie and sir tom for being in the financial position we find ourselves in but to what end?

IF WE DO WELL, TAKE A BIG SLICE, IF WE ARE POOR TAKE A MINIMUM WAGE AS YOU HAVE DONE NOWT!!

IS THAT FAIR?

Calm down, everyone is just as annoyed as your are about the state of the team. As for signing players from 'teams historically lower than us' how about Osbourne coming from Aston Villa or Soares coming from Stoke? It doesn't matter where the player comes from if they have the right attitude as many players at Dundee United are proving.

As for being outbid by teams from League 1 and 2 it is obvious to see why, the payments these teams receive from broadcasters will be much higher, plus their gates will be big enough throughout the season to make more money than us. Football has changed in recent times and now the game in Scotland is apparently worth a pittance clubs like us will struggle to make a marquee signing as we would all like. All we need though is a team who are good enough quality for our league to play with courage and commitment.

steakbake
07-07-2012, 07:26 PM

IS THAT FAIR?

Hibs under current governance are merely existing.

We won't get a massive injection of funds from Farmer or the Tache. It's important to keep the financial side of the club stable.

I can't see us getting in the kind of marquee signing we'd all like to see.

Thought I'd pitch in with something sensible.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2012, 07:27 PM

By PF of decent players without them having to be Big Signings maybe????

IS THAT FAIR?

R'Albin
07-07-2012, 07:55 PM
SHOUTING MAKES MY POINT BETTER THAN YOURs!!!!111

PatHead
07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Would love to see a big signing but what is your definition of big? How does the rest of the dressing room react? What happens if the player gets injured straight after the transfer window and the budget is gone? What if STF took ill and he could no longer guarantee Hibs finances?

I would rather see the budget spread around a good squad.

TheMentalHibees
07-07-2012, 08:13 PM

GGTTH
FTHMFC

http://memextreme.com/wp-content/gallery/meme-faces/misc-seriously.png

Northernhibee
07-07-2012, 08:32 PM

You're a site for sore eyes.

Northernhibee
07-07-2012, 08:35 PM
On a serious note, it'd be a bad idea to go for a 'marquee' signing, we need to get a number of players who will scrap, make every 50-50 a 51-49 and hold their nerve. We can think about technically more gifted players once we have that mentality.

FitbaFolkKen
07-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Big signing on fee then getting low wages, wouldnt work imo as the player would have had the money before supplying the product. Little motivation for them there

SteveHFC
07-07-2012, 09:05 PM
@AgentScotland: Hibernian are looking at the possibility of signing Stephen McManus, either on loan or if he's freed by Boro, hes got options but wants home

Iain G
07-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Too many punsters trying to be Smart for my liking :wink:

Indeed, we need to identify the ring leader here! Right off to the loo as I need tee pee...

Northernhibee
07-07-2012, 09:55 PM
@AgentScotland: Hibernian are looking at the possibility of signing Stephen McManus, either on loan or if he's freed by Boro, hes got options but wants home

Would be a very good signing - Clancy - McPake - McManus - Hanlon would be a very good defence indeed.

Jonnyboy
07-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Pity Tommy Preston is too old :greengrin

brianmc
07-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Halifax/ intelligent finance/ Lloyds hibee makes me laugh with his financial advice-where would the world of finance be without the likes of him?
MAYBE IF I USE CAPITALS PETRIE WILL SIGN MESSI? Nah, thought not.

lord bunberry
07-07-2012, 11:30 PM

GGTTH
FTHMFC

sorry I'm drunk I thought we had signed maguire

Iain G
07-07-2012, 11:48 PM
sorry I'm drunk I thought we had signed maguire

Rod was also drunk and we signed Mark Kerr...

AgentDaleCooper
08-07-2012, 01:33 AM

I heard we've been looking at some Pole with a great left peg...

Iain G
08-07-2012, 04:05 AM
I heard we've been looking at some Pole with a great left peg...

I'd like a striker who can fairly bivouac the ball into the net from outside the box with either peg...

IWasThere2016
08-07-2012, 05:26 AM
How about Nade? He will need a Big Top.

Nade's a Marqudee .. That's one size up from a marquee! :greengrin

HibeeMG
08-07-2012, 06:56 AM
I was talking to thon AgentScotland guy last night. Seemingly McManus has a few options but none of those are in the SPL apart from us. He wants to come back to Scotland and realises that he'll have to take a drop from his £18k/week wages down to the £4k/week level.

He also mentioned that more talks with Dean Sheils happening this week.

Not sure how 'in-the-know' this guy is though.

Alfred E Newman
08-07-2012, 06:57 AM
I'd like a striker who can fairly bivouac the ball into the net from outside the box with either peg...

We also need a goalkeeper who won`t flap at crosses olso players can produce the goods on the pitch and who don`t come in to training 7 sheets to the wind.

Brooster
08-07-2012, 07:13 AM
I was talking to thon AgentScotland guy last night. Seemingly McManus has a few options but none of those are in the SPL apart from us. He wants to come back to Scotland and realises that he'll have to take a drop from his £18k/week wages down to the £4k/week level.

He also mentioned that more talks with Dean Sheils happening this week.

Not sure how 'in-the-know' this guy is though.

If he wants to play in the SPL he will have to drop to circa £1.2k per week unless Celtic or hearts are interested.

Good news if we are still in talks with Shiels.

hibsbollah
08-07-2012, 07:17 AM
A 'marquee signing' (ludicrous meaningless term from sports journos across the atlantic so you only have yourself to blame for the puns :greengrin ...

It would be wonderful to get a big name coming in. I remember the George Best home debut and the excitement it caused. I doubt whether we have the finance to fund a player like that anymore; and the banks are not exactly falling over themselves to offer cheap credit for splurges without any likelihood of a return on investment. But i dont understand why youre being mocked for wanting to watch great players :dunno: If Petrie & co can fund.something like that i certainly wont be mumping and grumping about our finances which i and noone else on hibsnet have no way of knowing about anyway. Personally, id be over the moon with two midfielders with some speed creativity, the ability to beat a man and get me off my seat occasionally. Its supposed to be entertainment, after all.

PeterboroHibee
08-07-2012, 07:18 AM
I dont think we need a 'marquee' signing. We need a proper squad built, with guys who will work for each other and can actually function as a team. Signing a so called big name player would be a waste of money that could be used to strengthen multiple positions.

I also dont see why McPake cant be seen as our big move. Hes the player everyone wanted, the captain of the club and we managed to sign him up on a 2 year deal. Hes also got all of the qualities we need in a player, rather than being some sort of troubled genius who only turns up occasionally.

Iain G
08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Some potential marquee signings we could target:

Ivan Campo
Wojciech Szczęsny (at 6ft 5 he's a big Pole!)
Willie Millets
Ian Blacks

Eyrie
08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Agree that McPake is our Marquee signing for the summer, and am surprised anyone would think otherwise given his impact and commitment last season.

Our need now is for a CBGB-type signing to add some punk attitude to our midfield.

Billychaotic182
08-07-2012, 10:07 AM
If we were to sign McManus, Deano and Jennings I would be very happy! Although I can't see us signing all three when we are soooooo desperate for a few strikers and goal keepers. I don't know why But i have a feeling in my gut that Leigh will be back with us b4 the window closes

Aldo
08-07-2012, 10:48 AM
If we were to sign McManus, Deano and Jennings I would be very happy! Although I can't see us signing all three when we are soooooo desperate for a few strikers and goal keepers. I don't know why But i have a feeling in my gut that Leigh will be back with us b4 the window closes

A

joe breezy
08-07-2012, 10:56 AM
People can poo poo all they like but I have heard a rumour from a fairly reliable source that a marquee signing will be forthcoming...
Rod's found one available and fortunately within budget...

http://www.primrose-marquees.co.uk/images/marq_4x6_sta_main.jpg?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=500&width=650

Eyrie
08-07-2012, 11:35 AM
People can poo poo all they like but I have heard a rumour from a fairly reliable source that a marquee signing will be forthcoming...
Rod's found one available and fortunately within budget..

http://www.primrose-marquees.co.uk/images/marq_4x6_sta_main.jpg?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=500&width=650

Park it in front of the goal .....