PDA

View Full Version : Mark Kerr training with Hibs

Brooster
07-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Is on trial. What do you guys think of him?

Leishy1995
07-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Was he the guy at Dunfermline?

Hibercelona
07-07-2012, 10:24 AM
He's getting a bit past it now.

Brooster
07-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Was he the guy at Dunfermline?

Yes.

Leishy1995
07-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Yes.

Thanks I'm gonna try and find out what Dunfermline fans think of it.

SteveHFC
07-07-2012, 10:28 AM
He was class in the early versions of football manager :greengrin:

BEEJ
07-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Whereas he was a good January signing for The Pars in an effort to steady mid-season what was a floundering team, I was hoping that our sights would be higher in preparation for 2012/13.

Hiber-nation
07-07-2012, 10:35 AM

Preferable to Brian Kerr...just.

S4uzee
07-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Whereas he was a good January signing for The Pars in an effort to steady mid-season what was a floundering team, I was hoping that our sights would be higher in preparation for 2012/13.
Agree with this. I think it would be a terrible signing, if i remember claros had his best game against dunfermline when he was in opposition

Baldy Foghorn
07-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Tend to agree to an extent Beej.....Was Kerr at Dundee United? My knowledge of other players in our league is woeful, unless they really catch my eye....Can't really remember a great deal about Kerr, but is he better than we already have? (Actually skip that, I am better than Claros and Osbourne, even with my curry belly):rolleyes:

Leighonel
07-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I'd rather have Stevenson. Mark Kerr gets on the ball a lot to pass it back or to the side. However his favourite trick is giving the other team goalkicks.

Brooster
07-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Tend to agree to an extent Beej.....Was Kerr at Dundee United? My knowledge of other players in our league is woeful, unless they really catch my eye....Can't really remember a great deal about Kerr, but is he better than we already have? (Actually skip that, I am better than Claros and Osbourne, even with my curry belly):rolleyes:

He might play in a friendly or two, especially wit osbourne being out injured. Kerr is a tough tackling winner, was a good player with utd, I'm not sure what he is like these days. We need hard baztrards who get fired in, maybe he fits the bill.

Baldy Foghorn
07-07-2012, 11:01 AM
He might play in a friendly or two, especially wit osbourne being out injured. Kerr is a tough tackling winner, was a good player with utd, I'm not sure what he is like these days. We need hard baztrards who get fired in, maybe he fits the bill.

Time will tell Brooster, we definitely need hard ball winners thats for sure......

Iain G
07-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I'd rather have Stevenson. Mark Kerr gets on the ball a lot to pass it back or to the side. However his favourite trick is giving the other team goalkicks.

The new Brian Hamilton to Craineys new Pat McGinlay role then?? :greengrin

Rivers Cuomo
07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
The new Brian Hamilton to Craineys new Pat McGinlay role then?? :greengrin

:tee hee:

MyJo
07-07-2012, 11:06 AM
I seem to remember him doing quite well a few years ago when he was with aberdeen, if he can sit in front of the back 4 and tackle then its worth a shot.

DC_Hibs
07-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Simply not good enough. I thought we would be going for quality over quantity and even with the uncertainty over income we can definitely get better than Mark Kerr within budget.

Is this an indication of the quality of our scouting and the contacts our management team have in the UK (and beyond)?
(None of the sigings made so far - although encouraging - would have taken a great deal of groundwork).

A 10 second search on google will show he isn't "past it" as he's only just turned 30 and you can see his previous clubs....assuming everyone has the internet?

How do other clubs consistently manage to sign better on lower budgets and finish higher than us. Should we sign Mark Kerr, then its a good part of the way to answering that.

If its not clear, I dont rate the guy and fans of his previous clubs were far from complimentary either.

Disclaimer "Gie the guy a chance, he's no even in the door yet blah blah blah"

.Sean.
07-07-2012, 11:11 AM
I'd rather have Mark Wright in midfield. Please no.

Kerr and Maybury on trial? I'm all for giving Fenlon a chance, but they're hardly inspiring names...

DC_Hibs
07-07-2012, 11:18 AM
He might play in a friendly or two, especially wit osbourne being out injured.

I'd rather play Stanton or one of our other various midfielders.

I hope him and Maybury are paying for their lunches at East Mains anaw.

R'Albin
07-07-2012, 11:28 AM
At the age he is at he's no better than Stevenson or Osbourne. The sheep hate him though so hopefully we sign him and hopefully he'll score against them :greengrin

silverhibee
07-07-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd rather play Stanton or one of our other various midfielders.

I hope him and Maybury are paying for their lunches at East Mains anaw.

I bleeping hope so as the players pay for there meals at EM. :cb

.Sean.
07-07-2012, 11:33 AM

£40 a month. Ridiculous IMO.

Lmc2105
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Had a great few seasons at aberdeen! ... Hard hitting midfielder who I think would be a good addition to the team, think he want away to a european league but am not sure which one it was possibly cyprus .. But decent player who should be given a chance!

Andy74
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM

My company doesn't pay for my food either.

matty_f
07-07-2012, 11:35 AM
My company doesn't pay for my food either.

I wish it only cost £40/month to get scran at my work.

truehibernian
07-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Intelligent footballing brain brooster, but for me having watched him at Dons and Pars he drops his head if games go away from him. Also very similar in style to Claros in my opinion, when Jorge has been played centrally in front of the central pairing.

Saying that both those teams were poor, so in a confident side he could be an asset. We should however be looking at the creative side of the midfield, and the left mid berth if he doesn't rate Booth there. The midfield needs a bums off seats player.....we don't have that anywhere in the side. My fear is Hibs playing side to side, narrow football again this year as I've not heard one name linked this last week that have pace and width in their armoury.

soproni1
07-07-2012, 11:37 AM
garbage in his prime

lucky
07-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Decent SPL player. Worth a go. But what standard do Hibs fans expect for £800 to £2k a week if that. It's time to get real. If we can get the best that non old firm players around we will progress

Craig_in_Prague
07-07-2012, 11:53 AM
my feeling on the new season isnt very good... this isnt helping.

VickMackie
07-07-2012, 11:54 AM

01/02 over 100 passes per game, every game. Won the cjampions league 3 out of 4 season with Boston united.

Sign him.

DC_Hibs
07-07-2012, 11:59 AM
If we can get the best that non old firm players around we will progress

Agreed, thats what we should be looking for.

No idea the relevance to Mark Kerr mind!!

hibsbollah
07-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Very harsh on Brian. He put in a power of unseen work in the engine room.

AJWisme
07-07-2012, 12:01 PM
No. Not for me.

Hibercelona
07-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Simply not good enough. I thought we would be going for quality over quantity and even with the uncertainty over income we can definitely get better than Mark Kerr within budget.

Is this an indication of the quality of our scouting and the contacts our management team have in the UK (and beyond)?
(None of the sigings made so far - although encouraging - would have taken a great deal of groundwork).

A 10 second search on google will show he isn't "past it" as he's only just turned 30 and you can see his previous clubs....assuming everyone has the internet?

How do other clubs consistently manage to sign better on lower budgets and finish higher than us. Should we sign Mark Kerr, then its a good part of the way to answering that.

If its not clear, I dont rate the guy and fans of his previous clubs were far from complimentary either.

Disclaimer "Gie the guy a chance, he's no even in the door yet blah blah blah"

30 is "past it" for the type of players we should be looking to bring in.

Walter
07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
01/02 over 100 passes per game, every game. Won the cjampions league 3 out of 4 season with Boston united.

Sign him.

What's Willie Howie doing these days?

Kaiser_Sauzee
07-07-2012, 12:04 PM

Him, Källstrom, Selakovic and Djordjic all picked up for peanuts and worth 10M the following season.

Speedy
07-07-2012, 12:09 PM

I think that's where he peaked.

Me too, I spend £40 in just over a week.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Him, Källstrom, Selakovic and Djordjic all picked up for peanuts and worth 10M the following season.

Kennedy Bakirciouglu (sp) aswell haha!

truehibernian
07-07-2012, 12:13 PM
30 is "past it" for the type of players we should be looking to bring in.

The counter argument is that if you want to change a culture and ethos at a football club then it has to start with getting in good pros who take care of themselves on and off the field and develop the new 'culture'.....then you add to it. Rome in a day and all that.

Would appear PF wants to get these types in now, so that it rubs off and then hopefully add to it in subsequent windows once a code is established amongst the squad. I bloody well hope anyway.

eastmainsmsh
07-07-2012, 12:18 PM
good player always liked him will drop deep looking for the ball , tidy passer , always on the move :greengrin ...would be happy to have him in engine room .... now for Richard Wright gk ,Riordan,brian easton lb or ch ,mark wilson rb Plus Kerr ..... Mabury is a good player as well be happy to have him as long as he is now no as slow as the maybury tramworks :cb

Hibercelona
07-07-2012, 12:25 PM
The counter argument is that if you want to change a culture and ethos at a football club then it has to start with getting in good pros who take care of themselves on and off the field and develop the new 'culture'.....then you add to it. Rome in a day and all that.

Would appear PF wants to get these types in now, so that it rubs off and then hopefully add to it in subsequent windows once a code is established amongst the squad. I bloody well hope anyway.

Kerrs old, but he's certainly no "pro". :wink:

We already have a player at the club that is capable of influencing youngsters.

I don't see Kerr being any advantage to the club in any possible way.

Lungo--Drom
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
:faf:

dchibs
07-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Did Gary O pay for his, or did he just order in Big Macs:rolleyes:

Lungo--Drom
07-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Aye Big Macs with a very pale parmesan sprinkled on <sniff> top :faf:

HibbyAndy
07-07-2012, 12:36 PM
He's utter pish, Was hoping we would set our targets a bit higher than him.

Mar Kerr, Dearie dearie me.

Beefster
07-07-2012, 12:37 PM

That works out at about £2.50 a day. You're right, it is ridiculous. Us normal folks have to pay that just for a sandwich.

Recruit another player or give well-paid players some free scran - its a tough decision, right enough.

As for Mark Kerr - no, just no. Good to see the trialists getting a chance earlier than normal though. Scouting dept. run out of ideas already?

3pm
07-07-2012, 12:38 PM

We're surely looking for hungry players?!

marinello59
07-07-2012, 12:38 PM
good player always liked him will drop deep looking for the ball , tidy passer , always on the move :greengrin ...would be happy to have him in engine room .... now for Richard Wright gk ,Riordan,brian easton lb or ch ,mark wilson rb Plus Kerr ..... Mabury is a good player as well be happy to have him as long as he is now no as slow as the maybury tramworks :cb

Now that's a player I would love to see in our side.

Pedantic_Hibee
07-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Ibrahima Bakayoko ya bams!

Walter
07-07-2012, 12:42 PM

Those were the days when you could pick up Louis enrique one a free

PeterboroHibee
07-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Mark Kerr is a terrible, terrible footballer. Im all for giving guys a chance but this guy has been rubbish whatever club hes been at, ridiculous we are even looking at him.

Baldy Foghorn
07-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Page two and 51 posts so far, and nobody has mentioned wan yet?

Is Hibs.net slipping?

Wotherspiniesta
07-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Worth a look.

Some people on here really need a reality check. Wether they like it or not, with Rangers going out the league there will be a restriction on finances. Maybury and Kerr might not be world beaters but they are players with a lot of SPL experience. Kerr was part of a Dunfermline midfield that played really well against us at ER and if he can improve the team then what's the harm in taking a look in a couple of friendlies?

bingo70
07-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Worth a look.

Some people on here really need a reality check. Wether they like it or not, with Rangers going out the league there will be a restriction on finances. Maybury and Kerr might not be world beaters but they are players with a lot of SPL experience. Kerr was part of a Dunfermline midfield that played really well against us at ER and if he can improve the team then what's the harm in taking a look in a couple of friendlies?

Very good point.

we can't have it all ways, now Rangers are no more which is what we all wanted it'll effect all clubs finances so we'll have to cut our cloth accordingly so we can't turn our noses up at players that are proven at SPL standard

Sir David Gray
07-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Why? What's he been up to? :confused:

The Sea-gull
07-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Is this how far we have sunk? Kerr might be ok for the pars etc same with Maybury but and i am sorry if this sounds arrogant, i expect us to be aiming higher than signing 30 something has beens.

fife hfc
07-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Worth a look.

I also felt he played well that night. As for the comment earlier about he only passes the ball sideways and backwards is that not what Spain have been criticised for and it has not done them any harm. Its called holding onto the ball and its something the Hibs midfield could not do last season and is a reason why Scottish teams are so **** as we fail to protect the ball and just get it forward as quickly as possible.

I'm not saying kerr is the answer, somebody who can hold onto the ball is a priority, but with a lack of cash we could do alot worse. Also i would take kerr = hamilton and cairney = Mcginlay, that midfield was not too shabby.

tamig
07-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Is this how far we have sunk? Kerr might be ok for the pars etc same with Maybury but and i am sorry if this sounds arrogant, i expect us to be aiming higher than signing 30 something has beens.

How typical of the "not Hibs class" arrogance frequently displayed on here. :rolleyes:

essexhibee
07-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Why would we even be looking at this guy. If he's only worth a trial the. what's the point, clearly he isn't good enough or they would offer him a deal straight away?

Absolute **** signing if he was too imo.

number9dream
07-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Kerr was dismal in the 4-0 game at ER. Why would Fenlon want a second look?
No way is he any better than the guys we have already...

silverhibee
07-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Nah he volunteered to do the cake run each day. :wink: :rolleyes:

silverhibee
07-07-2012, 02:04 PM
That works out at about £2.50 a day. You're right, it is ridiculous. Us normal folks have to pay that just for a sandwich.

Recruit another player or give well-paid players some free scram - its a tough decision, right enough.

As for Mark Kerr - no, just no. Good to see the trialists getting a chance earlier than normal though. Scouting dept. run out of ideas already?

Have heard Mr Woodison could be out the door soon if PF gets his way.

silverhibee
07-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Why? What's he been up to? :confused:

Scrapping in George Street. :greengrin

Leishy1995
07-07-2012, 02:17 PM
I haven't seen him play much, so what kind of player is he?

Hibiza
07-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Is he any good as a goalie?

brog
07-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Mark Kerr is just one of these decent professionals who goes from club to club & never does anything spectacularly wrong or brilliant. He's now past the best of his career & I don't think it's arrogant after all the turmoil we've experienced in recent years to be looking for something better.
Ask yourself these 2 questions;
1. Were you ever worried when you saw Mark Kerr's name on the oppo team sheet?
2. Do you think his signing will lead to any more ST sales?
For me I'd much rather try some of the youngsters, Stanton or Booth in midfield than give a contract to Mark Kerr.

seven nowt
07-07-2012, 03:30 PM

Some players age quicker than others.

Hibstrooper
07-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I know someone who is a scout for a club down south. He said to me that if there was one Pars player Hibs should look at it'd be Kerr as his passing stats were great.

People also need to remember that this isn't a quick fix process. Fenlon has already said he won't complete his rebuild in this window alone

cabbageandribs1875
07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Mark Kerr is a terrible, terrible footballer. Im all for giving guys a chance but this guy has been rubbish whatever club hes been at, ridiculous we are even looking at him.

quite worrying :agree:

calumb
07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
How typical of the "not Hibs class" arrogance frequently displayed on here. :rolleyes:

aye, i remember people saying the same when we signed a guy who had kicked about with st johnstone for years but John O'neil turned out to be a no bad signing.

Mikey
07-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Kerr was dismal in the 4-0 game at ER.

Was he? My memory of him was that he was pretty much Dunfermline's only decent player that night. He saw a lot of the ball and did some decent stuff with it.

Baldy Foghorn
07-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Was he? My memory of him was that he was pretty much Dunfermline's only decent player that night. He saw a lot of the ball and did some decent stuff with it.

He was their best player that night......

Hamish
07-07-2012, 04:09 PM

Not proven.:greengrin

The guy is on a trial period. If the boss thinks he is better than what we have, we will try and sign him. If not, we won't sign him. I don't see the problem?

Golden Bear
07-07-2012, 04:15 PM

:agree:

He was the only Dunfermline player that showed anything at all that night.

By all accounts he is a grafter and a good professional and these are good starting points for an SPL footballer.

R'Albin
07-07-2012, 04:24 PM
I liked him as a player however when he was at Aberdeen he was found guilty of hitting a sheep fan at 2am in the morning, he was also widely regarded as a bad influence in the dressing room. I wouldn't exactly describe him as a good professional.

Hibiza
07-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Prob part of fenlons " harder to beat" team. Decent goalie might help.

Iggy Pope
07-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I liked him as a player however when he was at Aberdeen he was found guilty of hitting a sheep fan at 2am in the morning, he was also widely regarded as a bad influence in the dressing room. I wouldn't exactly describe him as a good professional.

Struggling to see the problem with that second bit.

Edinburgh Green
07-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Now yer talking! £10m from Montpellier as soon as you started the game, man of the match nearly every game!

played just behind Alfonso and Owen in my deadly all conquering Newcastle team. In fact if I remember rightly a certain Lillian Martin was a top player in that game!

Edinburgh Green
07-07-2012, 04:40 PM
aye, i remember people saying the same when we signed a guy who had kicked about with st johnstone for years but John O'neil turned out to be a no bad signing.

Really? I can only remember very positive reports on O'Neil before we signed him.

stokesmessiah
07-07-2012, 04:52 PM

This is one thing i know from personal experience about him. Seen him out and about and legless on more than one occasion, he was widely regarded up here as a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

I would say that was a few years ago though and people can change.

Billychaotic182
07-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Mark Kerr is just another Kevin McBride. Good player who is a good passer but really adds nothing to your team

Iggy Pope
07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Mark Kerr is just another Kevin McBride. Good player who is a good passer but really adds nothing to your team

Imagine that? A good player and a good passer who adds nothing to a team? You are Mark Lawrenson and I claim my 5 pounds!

Hibby Bairn
07-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Only in Scotland. :rolleyes:

Would be a good addition to our midfield I think. Good FOOTBALLER.

Iceman1875
07-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I personally don't think he's any better than we already have IMO. Surely better out there that have been released this summer.

R'Albin
07-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I would say that was a few years ago though and people can change.

:agree:

Beefster
07-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Have heard Mr Woodison could be out the door soon if PF gets his way.

Judging by the standard of player recruitment in the last few years, some folk getting the chop may not be a bad thing.

stanton10
07-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I know someone who is a scout for a club down south. He said to me that if there was one Pars player Hibs should look at it'd be Kerr as his passing stats were great.

People also need to remember that this isn't a quick fix process. Fenlon has already said he won't complete his rebuild in this window alone

A quick fix ,he better get his act together or his a--- will be out the door Mark kerr get a life, qaulity rather than qauntity he said well he better think again,

Iggy Pope
07-07-2012, 06:54 PM
A quick fix ,he better get his act together or his a--- will be out the door Mark kerr get a life, qaulity rather than qauntity he said well he better think again,

Telt!

Bobby's Cinema
07-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Heehaw to do with arrogance I'm afraid mate. I cannae even be bothered tiptoeing around it. The boy is brutal. Impressed with the standard of Clancy, Mcpake and Cairney coming in, but Kerr is an absolute step back in the wrong direction to me. Does he have the winning mentality? Would he compete in a midfield at Tynie. Nah no for me. Next.

berwickhibee
07-07-2012, 07:55 PM

totally agree,never gave the ball away all night and always looking to get on it,would do well for hibs as we are presently very weak in this area.

J-C
07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
One of the games I saw him in he ran the show for Dunfermline, composed and assured footballer.

Brooster
07-07-2012, 08:16 PM
I think he is a decent player, great passer of the ball and not frightened to put his foot in. If for example McPake, Shiels and Griffiths were our marquee signings and Clancy, Cairney, Kerr and 3 others were our other signings I would be very happy indeed.

truehibernian
07-07-2012, 08:25 PM
I think he is a decent player, great passer of the ball and not frightened to put his foot in. If for example McPake, Shiels and Griffiths were our marquee signings and Clancy, Cairney, Kerr and 3 others were our other signings I would be very happy indeed.

How close are we with Shiels though Brooster - I think he'd be a superb addition. He's become a more mature, intelligent player since being down south. Really impressed with his overall positional sense and his willingness to get on the ball in deeper areas when he's been with Killie. He seems to have become far more responsible on the pitch if that makes sense.

Brooster
07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
How close are we with Shiels though Brooster - I think he'd be a superb addition. He's become a more mature, intelligent player since being down south. Really impressed with his overall positional sense and his willingness to get on the ball in deeper areas when he's been with Killie. He seems to have become far more responsible on the pitch if that makes sense.

I dont know mate, I only know that we were talking to him the week before last. I dont know if talks broke down or if we are still talking.

Iceman1875
07-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Totally agree, still need a keeper too though!

Mark79
07-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Mark Kerr = NO NO NO NO NO NO.

truehibernian
07-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I dont know mate, I only know that we were talking to him the week before last. I dont know if talks broke down or if we are still talking.

Cheers bud. I have a feeling his performances won't have gone unnoticed down south and there will now be the conflict of interests with his old man being at Killie. Need to get Derek and wee Sam Morrow twisting his arm to come back.

Loved him the first time around but he is now a much improved player - and as I said, his performances at ER with Killie showed he isn't scared to take the game by the scruff of the neck and try and create. McPake as captain with Deano as Vice Captain - that would do me.

marinello59
07-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Why would we want a solid dependable SPL standard player. Madness!

Benny Brazil
07-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Why would we want a solid dependable SPL standard player. Madness!

And one within our price bracket - Crazy.

Bobby's Cinema
07-07-2012, 08:53 PM
And one within our price bracket - Crazy.
You said it :agree:

Brooster
07-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Mark Kerr = NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Who would you like to see us signing for the sort of cash Kerr would be getting?

Mark79
07-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Who would you like to see us signing for the sort of cash Kerr would be getting?

So we just sign anyone now??? Mate is a dafc season ticket holder and he said he was minging. Quite believe that after seeing him myself. If you are happy with this kind of crap wearing the green of hibs bash on.

Brooster
07-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I didnt say I was happy. I was asking you who you would like to sign for the money Kerr would be on.

So we just sign anyone now??? Mate is a dafc season ticket holder and he said he was minging. Quite believe that after seeing him myself. If you are happy with this kind of crap wearing the green of hibs bash on.

Baldy Foghorn
07-07-2012, 09:34 PM

In fairness your mate saw his team relegated and probably thinks all his team were "minging"....

We have a couple of thousand un-renewed season ticket holders currently, which means PF's budget is restrictive, I am sure he would love to sign Lampard and Gerrard, but due to the financial situation, he is looking at Kerr.....So be it.....

MyJo
07-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Was he one of the ones who also told us Sol Bamba was s***e :dunno:

Thecat23
07-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Spoke to my mate who played with him last season. Thinks Hibs should be looking for better and thinks for the money can easily get better. I'm not keen on him coming I think he's passed his best. Either way time will tell if he signs.

Jonnyboy
07-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Sometimes I wonder, I really do.

I've lost count of the number of times that names have been suggested and promptly shot down in flames by all the expert managers on here

Kerr is on trial - lets leave the rest to PF

Baldy Foghorn
07-07-2012, 10:07 PM

I've lost count of the number of times that names have been suggested and promptly shot down in flames by all the expert managers on here

:top marks

In Pat we trust:flag:

Speedway
07-07-2012, 10:11 PM

Funnily enough Mr. C, I have been silently fuming whilst reading this thread over the last few days, dumbfounded at how we could be even considering Mark Kerr as part of a 'summer of change'

It is only in the last few minutes that I realised that I've been thinking of Stuart Duff and haven't a scooby who Mark Kerr is.

Jonnyboy
07-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Funnily enough Mr. C, I have been silently fuming whilst reading this thread over the last few days, dumbfounded at how we could be even considering Mark Kerr as part of a 'summer of change'

It is only in the last few minutes that I realised that I've been thinking of Stuart Duff and haven't a scooby who Mark Kerr is.

:faf:

IWasThere2016
07-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Jesus! Scraping the bottom of the barrel and there's weeks left in the windae! Like others in CM we have there's no goals in Kerr, and he won't get beyond the strikers. Pitiful level of ambition if we're entertaining him as a possible signing.

IWasThere2016
07-07-2012, 10:21 PM

I don't know a single Arab - of the hundreds I know - that would agree with that.

Brooster
08-07-2012, 06:26 AM
I don't know a single Arab - of the hundreds I know - that would agree with that.

Ive spoken to 2 utd season ticket holders who said he was decent give or take the odd bad cup final back pass! I also remember him having good games against us for Aberdeen and Dunfermline. Im not saying he is or isnt the answer but I would much rather we look at him than the Matt Thornhill's of this world.

We need 8 new players and we cant obviously pay them all top whack so I think its only fair we look at guys like Kerr. If PF doesnt like the look of him during his trial fair enough. PF is doing the right thing in my opinion.

Maybe you can answer the question I set Suazee 4, who would you bring in on the cash Kerr will be on?

lyonhibs
08-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Unless this is Championship Manager 2001/2002 when he was inexplicably a world beater and forever getting snapped up by Arsenal, then I'm oot, as Duncan Bannatyne would say.

Still, that's just my opinion. There probably a very good reason why Paddy Fenlon is HFC manager and not me, so I'll trust his call.

PeterboroHibee
08-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Exactly. Ive seen him play quite a few times, and I also have lots of mates who are Arabs (and a few Aberdeen fans) who will stand by him being awful.

Going by some of the comments above, if people think hes a tough tackling, passing midfielder who will run things, they are in for a big shock. Hes worse than those already at the club.

Beefster
08-07-2012, 07:17 AM
I didnt say I was happy. I was asking you who you would like to sign for the money Kerr would be on.

You'd be better directing the question at Lindsay and Woodison. Presumably it's their job to answer that question for Fenlon.

Maybe no-one else will sign for that money though and we're resorting to trialling a player, in early July, who has spent 95% of his career in the SPL.

Brooster
08-07-2012, 07:24 AM
You'd be better directing the question at Lindsay and Woodison. Presumably it's their job to answer that question for Fenlon.

Maybe no-one else will sign for that money though and we're resorting to trialling a player, in early July, who has spent 95% of his career in the SPL.

Possibly but there seems to be enough folk on here telling PF who he can't sign, maybe they could give him some pointers on who he should sign.

I dont see the problem with getting someone in for a week or two to see if he would fit in, especially someone that PF will not be too familiar with. Better than diving in with a rash contract offer or dismissing him out of hand.

The Sea-gull
08-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Serious question here. Why does a player who has played in the spl for the majority of last 10 years need a trial. Surely the scouting team and even the management team who presumably have a decent knowledge of the Scottish game must know enough about him to know whether he is or is not what they are looking for

PeterboroHibee
08-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Serious question here. Why does a player who has played in the spl for the majority of last 10 years need a trial. Surely the scouting team and even the management team who presumably have a decent knowledge of the Scottish game must know enough about him to know whether he is or is not what they are looking for

If its possible to get the player in on trial then whats the harm in it? It allows the manager and coaches to assess the player up close in training, and also to see how he gets on with those already at the club.

scoopyboy
08-07-2012, 07:33 AM
In fairness your mate saw his team relegated and probably thinks all his team were "minging"....

We have a couple of thousand un-renewed season ticket holders currently, which means PF's budget is restrictive, I am sure he would love to sign Lampard and Gerrard, but due to the financial situation, he is looking at Kerr.....So be it.....

Lampard too old and Gerrard not the type of character PF looking for in the dressing room.

Neither will be coming to Hibs IMO.

marinello59
08-07-2012, 07:53 AM

Maybe Pat Fenlon wants to see how he works alongside the players he has already decided should take us forward. The best teams don't always have the best players, it's how they fit together that matters most. Synergy. (Does that make sense? It's early and I am still celebrating my in-laws leaving this morning.:confused:)

Andy74
08-07-2012, 08:12 AM

Correct. We've tried the names - now we need to build a team tha just works as it should together.

This is the type of signing other SPL teams make and it works. We seem to wonder how others manage on a smaller budget then turn our noses up at any suggestions of players unless we think they are Hibs Class.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Some of the comments being posted on this thread remind me of words said when McLeish signed Gary Smith and especially Paul Fenwick. Guess we either trust PF to assemble a side or we don't.

brog
08-07-2012, 09:29 AM
So how many other clubs are we competing with for Mark Kerr's signature? There have been many threads on here ( rightly IMO ) bemoaning our lack of width & now we're linked with a guy who never moves 5 yards from the centre circle! I have no problem with PF looking at anyone but I would be surprised & disappointed if MK got a contract. For me he's bound for Raith or Cowdenbeath. Still, one thing, if we sign MK, Spoony & Galbraith will look like world beaters!

Cocaine&Caviar
08-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Is Claros back yet?

scoopyboy
08-07-2012, 09:35 AM
So how many other clubs are we competing with for Mark Kerr's signature? There have been many threads on here ( rightly IMO ) bemoaning our lack of width & now we're linked with a guy who never moves 5 yards from the centre circle! I have no problem with PF looking at anyone but I would be surprised & disappointed if MK got a contract. For me he's bound for Raith or Cowdenbeath. Still, one thing, if we sign MK, Spoony & Galbraith will look like world beaters!

St.Johnstone are also after him I believe.

BEEJ
08-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Maybe you can answer the question I set Suazee 4, who would you bring in on the cash Kerr will be on?
Are we not allowed to express doubts on here any more about players linked with the club? Are we back into a phase of enforced positive-mindset for posters on Hibs.net?

"Don't contribute unless you have something insanely positive to add to the thread!!" :wink:

If we sign him, Kerr may well turn out to be OK for Hibs and, of course, it is up to PF to make the final call.

But there is a certain weariness in hearing of old SPL campaigners being endlessly recycled from one SPL club to the next, rarely settling for very long in one place and, in the approaching sunset of their career, ending up at East mains for a trial.

sahib
08-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Are we not allowed to express doubts on here any more about players linked with the club? Are we back into a phase of enforced positive-mindset for posters on Hibs.net?

"Don't contribute unless you have something insanely positive to add to the thread!!" :wink:

If we sign him, Kerr may well turn out to be OK for Hibs and, of course, it is up to PF to make the final call.

But there is a certain weariness in hearing of old SPL campaigners being endlessly recycled from one SPL club to the next, rarely settling for very long in one place and, in the approaching sunset of their career, ending up at East mains for a trial.

All these players are as good as they are ever going to be - if not passed their best. I hope PF has the balls to blood some youngsters. Logic dictates that it is the only way to put a better team on the park than you can afford to sign.

blackpoolhibs
08-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Correct. We've tried the names - now we need to build a team tha just works as it should together.

This is the type of signing other SPL teams make and it works. We seem to wonder how others manage on a smaller budget then turn our noses up at any suggestions of players unless we think they are Hibs Class.

Yes Dunfermline has a hugely successful time after he signed for them. :wink: I think he's never been a great player, he's your average joe, who's made a living in the SPL for a good number of years.

Will we be getting him at his best, i dont think so? Is he any better than what we have? :dunno:

gazman
08-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Anyone that's got the video of the 4-0 game watch it again.kerr was outstanding in that match although on the losing side ,drove his team forward,accurate possession play and had a few pots at goal .lets not forget how poor our midfield are .fans still wanting spoony and Claros in there beggars belief.kerr is defo better than we've got at the moment

Hibstrooper
08-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes Dunfermline has a hugely successful time after he signed for them. :wink: I think he's never been a great player, he's your average joe, who's made a living in the SPL for a good number of years.

Will we be getting him at his best, i dont think so? Is he any better than what we have? :dunno:

Average is an improvement on what we've had recently

blackpoolhibs
08-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Average is an improvement on what we've had recently

You could be right? :dunno:

Bobby's Cinema
08-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Mark Kerr is not of the calibre already brought in this window. Thats plainly obvious imo. Somebody said about the 2.5k unrenewed leaving a gap in the budget. It's a vicious circle. Mark Kerr is hardly likely to entice them back.

Steve20
08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Mark Kerr is not of the calibre already brought in this window. Thats plainly obvious imo. Somebody said about the 2.5k unrenewed leaving a gap in the budget. It's a vicious circle. Mark Kerr is hardly likely to entice them back.

Neither is Tim Clancy, I would say.

Bobby's Cinema
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
He's played last season in the team that's finished in the champions league. The three signings so far have each given me confidence that they will improve what we have. Mark Kerr, who we've not even signed yet so this could all prove to be irrelevant, doesn't. It would be a step in the wrong direction to me

brog
08-07-2012, 11:26 AM

A player leaving a club who finished 3rd & are in the Champions League to join 11th placed Hibs! That encourages me greatly. McPake is a great & probably necessary signing but I'm most excited about Cairney, a young lad with great potential who's genuinely thrilled to be at ER. I think all those signings, especially JM will have resulted in some season ticket renewals, I really doubt that would be the case with Kerr.
I asked the question earlier, did any Hibs fan ever look at Dons, Arabs or Pars teams & thought, oh no they've got Mark Kerr in their line-up?

Scouse Hibee
08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
A player leaving a club who finished 3rd & are in the Champions League to join 11th placed Hibs! That encourages me greatly. McPake is a great & probably necessary signing but I'm most excited about Cairney, a young lad with great potential who's genuinely thrilled to be at ER. I think all those signings, especially JM will have resulted in some season ticket renewals, I really doubt that would be the case with Kerr.
I asked the question earlier, did any Hibs fan ever look at Dons, Arabs or Pars teams & thought, oh no they've got Mark Kerr in their line-up?
No, many Hibs fans are more inclined to look at our own line up and moan before a ball has even been kicked! Me included sometimes. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
08-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Lampard too old and Gerrard not the type of character PF looking for in the dressing room.

Neither will be coming to Hibs IMO.

Dash Jock, Is Iniesta still a goer?

Bo'ness Hibee
08-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Kerr was a standout for the Pars when I watched them playing Rangers at East End Park last season. According to http://www.dafc.co.uk/articles/mark-kerr-dunfermline_2208034_24231 he also chalked up 220 SPL appearances in 7 seasons with Dundee United & Aberdeen so could add some much needed experience in the centre of the park.

scoopyboy
08-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Dash Jock, Is Iniesta still a goer?

Definitely, but a few concerns that he can cut it in the SPL due to his lack of height.

Scouse Hibee
Is Claros back yet?

What do you mean back yet? When did he arrive :wink:

--------

Everything for the best in the best of all possible worlds ... :devil:

Yup. It seems at times as if Hibs are the SPL Pension Fund - when you can't hack it anywhere else, you get a trial at East Mains. Then your agent leaks the story to the press, and if you're any good, you sign for someone else.

IF we had signed Kerr three-four years ago, he MIGHT have been good enough for a place in the squad, though not necessarily a regular place in the team. NOW, I'd suggest we might do a lot better looking at someone else - younger, from another League, and not a player from the team who were our one and only (unsuccessful) competitor in the relegation stakes last season.

Baldy Foghorn
08-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Definitely, but a few concerns that he can cut it in the SPL due to his lack of height.

Mmmm, Is he even hibs class:confused:

3pm
08-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Fenlon should be casting his net far and wide. If Mark Kerr turns up as a result then so be it. I have no qualms with that aporoach as long as that's not the main way of sourcing our players for the coming season. Main targets identified and signed with a few recruited through trials is fair cop IMO.

Re Kerr, while I wouldn't have thought he would have been someone we were after, my take on him is that he works hard and at least takes a bit responsibility on the pitch. More than can be said for the majority of last years midfield.

woodythehibee
08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I reckon he would be a very shrewd signing. Definitley improve the side.

Franck Stanton
08-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Anyone that's got the video of the 4-0 game watch it again.kerr was outstanding in that match although on the losing side ,drove his team forward,accurate possession play and had a few pots at goal .lets not forget how poor our midfield are .fans still wanting spoony and Claros in there beggars belief.kerr is defo better than we've got at the moment

Well said that man. Kerr would definately improve our midfield. Ok Dunfermline were relegated [ thankfully for us], but he steadied their ship somwhat on his arrival. With better players around him [albeit , at present, only slightly better], then he could be a decent aquisition imo

Mark79
08-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Was he one of the ones who also told us Sol Bamba was s***e :dunno:

His view on bamba was spot on. Said he would start of looking like a world beater then have his head turned with money. Did that with us then leicester.

S.sct
08-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Fitba is a team game which requires different types of player to do a certain job. What I've seen of Kerr is a steady professional. If we were to sign Deano and play him alongside Cairney we will need a Kerr type in there. It's all about money but he may just turn out to be perfect foil for a more attacking midfield (than the rubbish we witnessed last season).

fat freddy
08-07-2012, 03:36 PM
effective midfielder...good tackler, good passer...i've been saying for a while that he'd be a good signing...very pleased..

Leishy1995
08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
To be fair, most of this board said Rankin was crap, and look how well he played last season. We're thankfully not football scouts. Oir opinions although matter, are rarely spot on. If the lad signs we should give him a chance. If he doesn't, we'll get someone else. Simple.

blackpoolhibs
08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
To be fair, most of this board said Rankin was crap, and look how well he played last season. We're thankfully not football scouts. Oir opinions although matter, are rarely spot on. If the lad signs we should give him a chance. If he doesn't, we'll get someone else. Simple.

Rankin was crap, but less crap than the dross that replaced him.

California-Hibs
08-07-2012, 03:53 PM
He also has a compassionate side to his personality and is a good header of the ball...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DlISbTAN2M

Leishy1995
08-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Rankin was crap, but less crap than the dross that replaced him.

Rankin was a player who tried and tried and would turn up to most games. Looked at Dundee united's footymad forum and one said they'd give him player of the year if it wasn't for Daly.
We did not give him the right amount of credit he deserved.

blackpoolhibs
08-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Rankin was a player who tried and tried and would turn up to most games. Looked at Dundee united's footymad forum and one said they'd give him player of the year if it wasn't for Daly.
We did not give him the right amount of credit he deserved.

Yes you are 100% correct, Rankin tried and tried. If it were not for Stokes, Bamba, Hogg, Murray, Miller, Stack Riordan, Nish, Wotherspoon or Tortolano, he'd have been our player of the year too.

Pretty Boy
08-07-2012, 04:28 PM
If his attitude is right Mark Kerr would be a good signing imo.

Massive over reaction from some about how 'bad' he is.

Iggy Pope
08-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Yes you are 100% correct, Rankin tried and tried. If it were not for Stokes, Bamba, Hogg, Murray, Miller, Stack Riordan, Nish, Wotherspoon or Tortolano, he'd have been our player of the year too.

You were doing well then made yerself look either a bit daft or maybe just a bit senile there....

IWasThere2016
08-07-2012, 06:09 PM
You were doing well then made yerself look either a bit daft or maybe just a bit senile there....

The inclusion of Nish was toooo far! :agree:

blackpoolhibs
08-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Probably a bit of both? :wink:

marinello59
08-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Probably a bit of both? :wink:

It's where I am at. :greengrin

NOLA
08-07-2012, 06:41 PM
on trial for crimes against football i heard.

Tyler Durden
08-07-2012, 06:54 PM
This would be the equivalent of re-signing Kevin McBride, that's the level of Kerr.

We have Claros, Osborne and Stevenson all of a similar ilk. They're all happy to pass back or sideways but struggle to offer anything in a creative sense. Why we'd even consider Kerr is beyond me.

McPake was a decent start but I hope the next few signings give us an indication of how Fenlon aims to set up his team. If its a continuation of the lack of width and pace from last year I won't rush back.

If we could secure Shiels on the other hand, I think a lot of fans would feel far more optimistic that we're at least [I]Trying[I] to play some football.

erin go bragh
08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Tbf ,Rankin was pretty crap with us, but had a good season with utd .

Kerr was a good player when at the sheep ,so lets trust in PF .

GGTTH

dmc1875
08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
I actually thought when Dunfermline signed Kerr in January it was a shrewd aquisition. From what I saw in the games he played for them (highlights albeit) he certainly improved them. Lets not forget that they improved a lot once fat Jim took over (not enough obviously but still) and I think if you look at the games he played in he definitely added something.

At the age of 30 he is certainly not 'over the hill' and has a lot of experience. In the market we are in, we could do worse.

Do you really think Osbourne and Claros offer more? I don't think Stevenson does either 2bh.

Leishy1995
08-07-2012, 11:35 PM

That post made me laugh and agree at the same time. I never said he didn't have players who done better. I am trying to say he done a lot of unseen work, and obviously improved at Dundee United, to be branded so well.

Leishy1995
08-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Tbf ,Rankin was pretty crap with us, but had a good season with utd .

Kerr was a good player when at the sheep ,so lets trust in PF .

GGTTH

I'm starting to notice I'm the only person who rated him. Then again we finished 10th in his last season, and he's just played 41 games last season and finished 4th.

Gatecrasher
09-07-2012, 06:37 AM
would be a decent signing for us, a short term signing as Fenlon rebuilds us back to a competitive team.

SouthMoroccoStu
28-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Worth a contract in my opinion.

Composed, Worked hard and made some effective / safe / sensible passes in tight spaces

And more importantly, he put pressure on the opposition midfield. They didn't get the same easy ride they did in the first.

Something we have missed in the past few seasons.

I would also take Maybury. Very accomplish and great communication with McPake.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

cocopops1875
28-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Composed, Worked hard and made some effective / safe / sensible passes in tight spaces

And more importantly, he put pressure on the opposition midfield. They didn't get the same easy ride they did in the first.

To be honest i thought he was average at best, Never found a hibs jersey and didnt think he offered anything more than we had 1st half. Opinions eh :greengrin

hibees 7062
28-07-2012, 06:01 PM

Northfield Hibby
28-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Mmmm, sorry mate disagree. I think if that's the standard of player were bringing in, then it's a hard season ahead.

Didn't think Kerr was any better than Claros and Maybury wasn't better than Hanlon.

For me we need some width in the side and another forward. If we can only bring in 2 other players, then I would want players that play in they positions.

We were getting into good positions out wide but ultimately it would either go back or the play would slow up and the ball would then get played infield.

Zemamma10
28-07-2012, 06:07 PM
4 or 5 mis-placed passes, one late challenge and that was about it. Zero pace. I'd be disappointed if he is the best on offer just now, desperate times.

On a plus note, Cairney looked decent and can hopefully provide a goal threat. Apart from Griffiths really worrying who are going to get goals for us.

GreenPJ
28-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Mmmm, sorry mate disagree. I think if that's the standard of player were bringing in, then it's a hard season ahead.

Didn't think Kerr was any better than Claros and Maybury wasn't better than Hanlon.

For me we need some width in the side and another forward. If we can only bring in 2 other players, then I would want players that play in they positions.

We were getting into good positions out wide but ultimately it would either go back or the play would slow up and the ball would then get played infield.

:agree: They are no better than what we have although at least Maybury has versatility on his side. Priority though has to be centre forward and creative midfielder.

IFONLY
28-07-2012, 06:21 PM

I must have been getting the coffees when this happened, ordinary to say the least!!

S4uzee
28-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Don't really get all the Mark Kerr love, IMO he was no better than claros in todays game and don't think we should be going for players that are 'just as good' / 'no better than we have' as we need to improve dramatically

Leighonel
28-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Almost exactly how I feel.

Kerr makes simple passes and only really made 2 passes of any quality in
45 minutes, from what I remember anyway. He also seemed to be out of position a few times, he came across to right at one point when Stevenson was already over leaving no one in midfield. Maybe he was a little to eager to get the ball to impress fenlon, if not it was poor decision making. I would say it is a position we could strengthen but he isn't the answer imo. Maybe let Palsson go too early...

SouthMoroccoStu
28-07-2012, 06:36 PM
It's not a glamerous role but it's one I think he can handle easily

I think he will be a good influence around the young players as they develope. And, from what I saw today, they are very much the future of this club

500miles
28-07-2012, 06:38 PM
For me we need a good solid ballwinning, dominant centre mid to claim that part of the pitch for us.
A guy behind me made a good point - even when we pumped Dunfermline 4-0 last season, we couldn't win the midfield. Perhaps that tells a story, both ways.

As for what Aberdeen fans think.... well I don't recall them being too complimentary about Gary Smith, and he done us pretty well through good times and bad. We'll see what Pat says.

Zemamma10
28-07-2012, 06:47 PM
If we're stuck with Claros and Stevenson, there is zero point signing him beside the fact he is below average. Worse than brian kerr! We need players with different qualities. Kerr, Claros, Stevenson, Wotherspoon, Sproule, where's the goals coming from? Be lucky if they would score double figures combined. Surely there must be better out there!!!

Brooster
28-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Mark Kerr is much more mobile than Claros, he closes players down quicker. I think we will be harder to beat with Kerr in the team.

SouthMoroccoStu
28-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Mark Kerr is much more mobile than Claros, he closes players down quicker. I think we will be harder to beat with Kerr in the team.

Agreed, he offered just a bit more.

He's not the final answer but I would want him as part of the equation

Kaiser_Sauzee
28-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Buy him then sell him for £10M in two seasons.

According to Championship Manager 01-02.

SouthMoroccoStu
28-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Buy him then sell him for £10M in two seasons.

According to Championship Manager 01-02.

Plan. Get him signed up

hibees 7062
28-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Agreed, he offered just a bit more.

He's not the final answer but I would want him as part of the equation

as good as Jim Goodwin imo

Badge
28-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Did well when he came on. Him and Cairney made a big difference in the middle of the park. Worth a 12 month contract.

Squealing pig
28-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Kerr before claros anyday least he can speak the language and proven he can do a job at this level, claros hasn't.

QMU-1875
28-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Played well when he came on bar a couple of mistakes which you could perhaps put down to (correct me if I'm wrong) the fact this was his first pre season friendly! Thought we looked much more comfortable with him on the park than when claros was on. Claros just doesn't seem to look like a player, I hope he comes good but based on the games I have seen him in he has been poor! Kerr is worth a 12 month contract in my opinion!

sesoim
29-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Played well when he came on bar a couple of mistakes which you could perhaps put down to (correct me if I'm wrong) the fact this was his first pre season friendly! Thought we looked much more comfortable with him on the park than when claros was on. Claros just doesn't seem to look like a player, I hope he comes good but based on the games I have seen him in he has been poor! Kerr is worth a 12 month contract in my opinion!

Yeah, with signings like Kerr we might even make it to 10th next season. Can't wait!

Sorry for the sarcasm, but ffs if we are going to sign players that nobody else in the SPL wants, then we might as well give up. We are the 4th biggest supported team in the country, people need to seriously ask why we are aiming so low now.

matty_f
29-07-2012, 12:43 AM
I think someone like Kerr (or Maybury for that matter) is exactly the kind of signing other spl sides make that helps build them teams that have us asking how they can do it on a smaller budget than us.

St Johnstone don't have any top individual players but they function well as a team because of the types of player they use. Same with motherwell. Same with Dundee United.

Unless we're prepared to accept that there is value in signing players like that, we'll continue to overspend and under-achieve.

QMU-1875
29-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Yeah, with signings like Kerr we might even make it to 10th next season. Can't wait!

Sorry for the sarcasm, but ffs if we are going to sign players that nobody else in the SPL wants, then we might as well give up. We are the 4th biggest supported team in the country, people need to seriously ask why we are aiming so low now.
How do you know other teams in the SPL dont want him? At the end of the day id rather we signed players that our manager feels can make a difference. The last player we signed that other clubs in the SPL wanted (Claros with Rangers) has turned out to be pretty poor. I think Kerr is a punt, but judging by the difference between the performance in the first half and the second he is a punt that i would probably take. Kerr has been playing SPL football for a long time and is experienced, something which we dont have in abundance.

I dont however think this is the only signing in the midfield which we need, we clearly need two midfielders and a striker, if we can get these then id like to think a top 6 finish is achievable this season. Like many have said before, we need to give Fenlon time, two transfer windows are not going to fix the problems at hibernian, unfortunately its going to take several. Fingers crossed for the new season, if we can play with a bit of fight then who knows we might just come good!

carnoustiehibee
29-07-2012, 01:29 AM
How do you know other teams in the SPL dont want him? At the end of the day id rather we signed players that our manager feels can make a difference. The last player we signed that other clubs in the SPL wanted (Claros with Rangers) has turned out to be pretty poor. I think Kerr is a punt, but judging by the difference between the performance in the first half and the second he is a punt that i would probably take. Kerr has been playing SPL football for a long time and is experienced, something which we dont have in abundance.

I dont however think this is the only signing in the midfield which we need, we clearly need two midfielders and a striker, if we can get these then id like to think a top 6 finish is achievable this season. Like many have said before, we need to give Fenlon time, two transfer windows are not going to fix the problems at hibernian, unfortunately its going to take several. Fingers crossed for the new season, if we can play with a bit of fight then who knows we might just come good!

other teams in the SPL dont want him because he couldnt get a game for dundee utd(in his peak) and was a poor player in the maybe worst spl side ever, if Felon wants to build a team round him then no wonder fans aint buying season tickets

Wotherspiniesta
29-07-2012, 02:15 AM
other teams in the SPL dont want him because he couldnt get a game for dundee utd(in his peak) and was a poor player in the maybe worst spl side ever, if Felon wants to build a team round him then no wonder fans aint buying season tickets

St Johnstone were looking at him a few weeks back. They're not only another SPL team, but they finished a damn sight higher than we did last year.

Can't remember him not getting a game for United... He started a cup final for them did he not? ( In his peak-whatever that means. Players peak at different ages)

He was a good player in what was maybe the worst SPL side ever and by all means the best midfielder on the park at ER at the tail end of last season.

I wouldn't imagine Fenlon's "building a team round him" He's a free agent and here on trial. If Fenlon wanted to "build a team round him" he would have signed him by now.

Wantaway fans will do anything as a reason not to buy a season ticket. Even if it means bending the truth.

RickyS
29-07-2012, 07:00 AM
St Johnstone were looking at him a few weeks back. They're not only another SPL team, but they finished a damn sight higher than we did last year.

Can't remember him not getting a game for United... He started a cup final for them did he not? ( In his peak-whatever that means. Players peak at different ages)

He was a good player in what was maybe the worst SPL side ever and by all means the best midfielder on the park at ER at the tail end of last season.

I wouldn't imagine Fenlon's "building a team round him" He's a free agent and here on trial. If Fenlon wanted to "build a team round him" he would have signed him by now.

Wantaway fans will do anything as a reason not to buy a season ticket. Even if it means bending the truth.

i know he is not everyones cup of tea but the key question is, is he better than what we have just now? and I reckon he is
it shows how poor we have become

Gala Foxes
29-07-2012, 08:02 AM
He (Kerr) is far better than Claros who looks like he is in a different world to everyone else when he is on the park. We can't afford to carry Claros in games

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2012, 09:26 AM
I think someone like Kerr (or Maybury for that matter) is exactly the kind of signing other spl sides make that helps build them teams that have us asking how they can do it on a smaller budget than us.

St Johnstone don't have any top individual players but they function well as a team because of the types of player they use. Same with motherwell. Same with Dundee United.

Unless we're prepared to accept that there is value in signing players like that, we'll continue to overspend and under-achieve.

Maybury is not wanted by St Johnstone now, at 34 i'd guess his days are numbered. He's no Sauzee, and again imo not better than we have or have left the club recently.

Kerr has never been a very good player, has played for the dons and dundee utd, but he's left them now and nobodys crying in aberdeen or dundee?

He found his level at dunfermline, again in my opinion. Unless its a relegation fight we are after, we need better journeymen SPL players than these two who are on the downward spiral.

Its like Scott and Fyffe all over again.:rolleyes:

500miles
29-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Am I the only one who seems to remember a sense of disappointment on this board when we didn't manage to get Kerr ahead of Aberdeen? His moment of madness in the final may have marred his season, but up until then I'm pretty sure he was playing very well indeed.

Leighonel
29-07-2012, 09:41 AM
He (Kerr) is far better than Claros who looks like he is in a different world to everyone else when he is on the park. We can't afford to carry Claros in games

Far better? Really?

Opinions I suppose but I think it is the other way round. I also feel Stevenson is better than Kerr, the only thing Kerr has over Stevenson is height.

LeighLoyal
29-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Far better? Really?

Opinions I suppose but I think it is the other way round. I also feel Stevenson is better than Kerr, the only thing Kerr has over Stevenson is height.

He was made Aberdeen captain after leaving United, who wanted to keep him, so must have had something about him. If Stevenson left Hibs I'm not sure he'd find his way to the captaincy of a club like Aberdeen. Maybe he'd be captain of Peterhead or Elgin?

number9dream
29-07-2012, 09:59 AM
There must be thousands of players across the globe looking for clubs just now. Would it be better to gamble that a couple who are better than Maybury & Kerr will reduce their wage demands the nearer it gets to 31 August?
St Johnstone had three trialists playing yesterday - including a striker and winger who performed well by all accounts.
Our scouting/contacts network appears to have dried up since the days of Tony Mowbray.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2012, 10:00 AM
He was made Aberdeen captain after leaving United, who wanted to keep him, so must have had something about him. If Stevenson left Hibs I'm not sure he'd find his way to the captaincy of a club like Aberdeen. Maybe he'd be captain of Peterhead or Elgin?

I'm pretty sure Stevenson has captained Hibs in the past, as has Sproule and even O'Connor. Sometimes there's no obvious choice.

I dont have to look at what the dons fans have been saying about him, i have seen enough with my own eyes.

As someone else said about another player, if Kerr is the answer we are asking the wrong question?

It seems at this minute in time, we are patching up a threadbare squad with a couple of players not good enough for teams above us recently, am i the only one who seeing this?

GreenOnions
29-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Far better? Really?

I completely agree with both of these points. Like many on here I was disappointed with Claros last season. However, when we were very poor in the first twenty minutes yesterday, I thought he was doing an excellent job breaking up play in front of the back four and playing a simple pass.

We got a lot better as the first half progressed I think because our passing improved and the back four got it together a bit more.

I don't know how good Kerr still is. It was difficult to say on yesterday's performance as he was one of the least involved players in the second half.

LeighLoyal
29-07-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure Stevenson has captained Hibs in the past, as has Sproule and even O'Connor. Sometimes there's no obvious choice.

I dont have to look at what the dons fans have been saying about him, i have seen enough with my own eyes.

As someone else said about another player, if Kerr is the answer we are asking the wrong question?

It seems at this minute in time, we are patching up a threadbare squad with a couple of players not good enough for teams above us recently, am i the only one who seeing this?

You think Dons fans are a going to be truthful about a guy who legged it? I'm not saying Kerr is the answer, haven't seen the guy play yet, but to say he's an inferior player to Stevenson is a bit speculative. One thing I do know is Stevenson is not as good player in the middle as Osbourne, nothing like as strong or composed on the ball, so if we're going to consider Stevenson as Osbourne's replacement then the team has been weakened.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2012, 10:29 AM
You think Dons fans are a going to be truthful about a guy who legged it? I'm not saying Kerr is the answer, haven't seen the guy play yet, but to say he's an inferior player to Stevenson is a bit speculative. One thing I do know is Stevenson is not as good player in the middle as Osbourne, nothing like as strong or composed on the ball, so if we're going to consider Stevenson as Osbourne's replacement then the team has been weakened.

Osbourne has gone, and while not the greatest player did show the odd piece of decent play. We are bringing in a player no better than him, and folk are trying to make a case for this, when its just more dross coming in if he signs?

There's a huge reason why we have finished 10th and 11th in consecutive seasons, and thats the purchase of poor players. I remember someone Matty :wink: who is still spouting the same rubbish now about Kerr, saying exactly the same thing about Thornhill and O'Sbourne, stating how these players would make us harder to beat, and how we'd compete better in the middle of the park?:confused:

This is more of the same sheite this season as previous, and we are seeing the same posts from the same people trying to justify it now as how it will make us harder to beat again??????????????????

There will be reply's to this asking me why i support Hibs, what pleasure do i get from stating the obvious, from the same folk who are trying to justify the opposite of my view. How the hell can it be the obvious if you have the opposite view?

Here's my prediction for the coming season, more of the same, convince me otherwise?

Deeklipse
29-07-2012, 10:37 AM

You should have stuck with your old job!

lucky
29-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Yesterday he put the boot in and generally was very vocal. We have been crying out for midfielder who is willing to get involved more and is a bit nasty. IMO Mark Kerr fits the bill. We don't need to gamble on some no mark foreigner who has a fancy name but no heart. The yams have out battled us for years so it is time to get some fight in the team.

Leighonel
29-07-2012, 11:01 AM

Luckily for Stevenson, being captain material doesn't necessarily make you a good player.

Iv noticed a few people saying he controlled the midfield against us in the 4-0 game. I remember thinking at the time that he had the ball a lot but didn't do anything with it. He was constantly looking for the ball only to make a simple pass and slow the whole team down. Again I distinctly remember, because it was so rare, when he tried a forward pass down the wing and it went out for a goal kick. Maybe I haven't seen him enough but I don't think he is an improvement.