PDA

View Full Version : Question George Best

hibeesdude
04-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Having a Facebook discussion with a US based friend and George's time at ER came up....anyone got any good stories/myths I can share with him...

InchHibby
04-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Having a Facebook discussion with a US based friend and George's time at ER came up....anyone got any good stories/myths I can share with him...
The most famous one when he was in a top London hotel with the then Miss World Mary Stavin, he ordered champagne to be brought
to the room, when the Porter arrived ,George opened the door, there was Miss World sitting on the bed and strewn all over the bed was
thousands of pounds in cash, the Porter then said, George, where did it all go wrong.:greengrin

Purehibee_MYB
04-07-2012, 11:04 AM
My dad always tells me the story of when we were playing Celtic at Easter Road and George went to take a corner and someone threw a half finished can of beer at him, he stopped, picked up the can, took a massive swig of it then took the corner... Typical Best but funny nonetheless :greengrin

Peevemor
04-07-2012, 11:07 AM
He told another story about himself and Mick Channon going in a pricey restaurant. They quickly gubbed a bottle of champagne and ordered a second.

As the waiter was opening it, Best said "You know, I shouldn't be drining this with what I've got."

Waiter - "I'm sorry to hear that sir, what is it you have?"

Best - "About 2 quid."

London Hibs FC
04-07-2012, 11:18 AM
My dad always tells me the story of when we were playing Celtic at Easter Road and George went to take a corner and someone threw a half finished can of beer at him, he stopped, picked up the can, took a massive swig of it then took the corner... Typical Best but funny nonetheless :greengrin

I think it was against the team that were once known as Rangers.

TrickyNicky
04-07-2012, 11:22 AM

It was against the Huns!

He scored the goal against Celtic that put the keeper in the back of the net!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVT-cgqKJsE

Chibs
04-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Yup the team that were the Huns. And it was a bottle!

Lungo--Drom
04-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Brilliant goal! What a shot to remember him by :)

It was against the Huns!

He scored the goal against Celtic that put the keeper in the back of the net!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVT-cgqKJsE

heretoday
04-07-2012, 01:37 PM
George was at a Hibs supporters' do one night in the middle of the "My battle with the booze" furore that sold so many Scottish papers in the late 70s.

Straight-faced, the fans presented him with a sherry decanter as a gift.

He saw the irony in it if no one else did!

ginger_rice
04-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Cup semi final at Hampden? George was tackled by Danny McGrain both of them clattered into the flag pole, IIRC at half way line, McGrain bent down to pick up the ball and Bestie gave him the flag pole right up the jacksey :greengrin

keithkeith
04-07-2012, 06:53 PM
I remember Roughie saying that he was in the dressing room after a match and George Best turned to Ally "Benny" Brazil and said to him something like...

"Benny. Do you know...I've played in Manchester, London, Milan and New York - all over the World for years - and I can honestly say that you are the ugliest player I have ever played with!"

Cue: roars of laughter across the dressing room...

:)

Ray_
04-07-2012, 11:23 PM
I remember Roughie saying that he was in the dressing room after a match and George Best turned to Ally "Benny" Brazil and said to him something like...

"Benny. Do you know...I've played in Manchester, London, Milan and New York - all over the World for years - and I can honestly say that you are the ugliest player I have ever played with!"

Cue: roars of laughter across the dressing room...

:)

That was funny, I thought Roughie came along after Georgie Boy! :greengrin His perm must have confused him.

keithkeith
04-07-2012, 11:31 PM
That was funny, I thought Roughie came along after Georgie Boy! :greengrin His perm must have confused him.

He maybe did? Maybe it was Benny that told the story to him? He mentioned it on Real Radio. It was Classic!

NOLA
05-07-2012, 01:23 AM
he had his wages paid by the hertz :greengrin

Wyatt.S.Earp
05-07-2012, 07:30 AM
When the sad time came for George to leave Easter Road.....he was paraded out onto the park to a standing ovation.....we all knew that George was fighting hard to overcome his drink problem ....we admired him for that....then out pops the Hibs supporter club chairman with his colleagues to make a presentation....something they said to make George and Angie remember their stay here in Edinburgh...........what did they give him.....:confused:......."A EDINBURGH CRYSTAL WHISKY DECANTER AND 6 GLASSES..........."......priceless....!!!!!:aok:

brog
05-07-2012, 09:36 AM
George was a gentleman. The reserves used to put money in a kitty each week & save it for a Xmas drink. George knew the do was in The Black Bull in Grassmarket, turned up, doubled the kitty & sat with the young guys for an hour or so. The lads were so happy, not least because they were all feasting on George's leftovers!! Throughout the time George was there he never turned away a request for a pic or an autograph, he was charming & extremely polite. A gentleman afflicted by an awful illness.

JimBHibees
05-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Was one story about him not that Hibs were playing Ayr in a Sunday Scottish cup tie unfortunately Scotland were playing France at Murrayfield on the Saturday and the French team were in the same hotel and George decided to join them for the night so to speak. His non-appearance the next day didnt go down too well at ER where there was a half decent crowd.

greenginger
05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Was one story about him not that Hibs were playing Ayr in a Sunday Scottish cup tie unfortunately Scotland were playing France at Murrayfield on the Saturday and the French team were in the same hotel and George decided to join them for the night so to speak. His non-appearance the next day didnt go down too well at ER where there was a half decent crowd.

A bigger problem for George was that part of " for the night " involved the wife of the French team captain, or so the story goes.

brog
05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
A bigger problem for George was that part of " for the night " involved the wife of the French team captain, or so the story goes.

That part I'm afraid is a myth. George's downfall started by getting in a drinking competiton with Jean Pierre Rives, the French Captain but if George had any amorous thoughts that night he wasn't capable of doing anything about it. Re the game against Ayr, the crowd from memory was about 17,000, more than half decent & there was loud booing when George's name was missing. Remember Sunday games were most unusual in those days. Note Hibs Stats say crowd was 15,000, the fact they have such an exact number suggests to me it's not accurate. Before the game I met Tom Hart & he told me he had 2 pieces of bad news. The first was the lengthy story re George, I then asked what was the 2nd piece, Willie Murray's replacing George he said!!
Poor Willie! To be fair he had a great game & the fans saw a piece of history when Duncan Lambie scored!!