PDA

View Full Version : New to the site....

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi, let me introduce myself.

Im Nick, Currently living in London originally from Essex and a Man City Fan.
I help run the Man City London Branch, so why am i posting on a Hibs fansite i hear you say.

Well although im a season ticket holder at the Etihad i have a soft spot for Hibs,
I cant explain it. When i was at school everyone had there favorite Scottish team.

As you can imagine it was either Celtic or Gers.
I wanted to be different so i chose Hibs, (I chose City cos of my fav player of the time Tony Cotton)

I have to admit i dont know much about Hibs, thats part of the reason im on here.
Plus im going to Edinburgh with my fiance for a nice romantic weekend.

While im there i plan to visit Easter Road for the first time.
Will the club shop be open?

Also i hear Hibs is a Catholic club, will i have any problems as an englishmen
walking around the area etc.

Be nice to hear from fellow London Hibs fans and there reason for following Hibs.
I imagine its Scottish Edinburgh roots!

Any way i hope i bring Hibs as much luck following them as i have with supporting Man City! (i was there v Gillingham at Wembley).:flag:

cabbageandribs1875
03-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Any way i hope i bring Hibs as much luck following them as i have with supporting Man City! (i was there v Gillingham at Wembley).
:flag:

first of welcome, secondly, hibs are NOT a catholic club, we are a non-denominational club....followed by both protestants and catholics alike(as are the gimps on the other side of town), and i imagine a few other denominations as well, bigotry in edinburgh is nothing like the evil in glasgow/west of scotland :aok:

p.s. mon the leeds :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
03-07-2012, 06:20 PM

I help run the Man City London Branch, so why am i posting on a Hibs fansite i hear you say.

Well although im a season ticket holder at the Etihad i have a soft spot for Hibs,
I cant explain it. When i was at school everyone had there favorite Scottish team.

I wanted to be different so i chose Hibs, (I chose City cos of my fav player of the time Tony Cotton)

I have to admit i dont know much about Hibs, thats part of the reason im on here.

Be nice to hear from fellow London Hibs fans and there reason for following Hibs.

Any way i hope i bring Hibs as much luck following them as i have with supporting Man City! (i was there v Gillingham at Wembley).:flag:

Welcome Nick,

What weekend are you in Edinburgh, as you may be able to take a game in?

The Harp
03-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi Nick, welcome aboard. Might be an idea to look up the story of Hibernian on Wikipedia. We have a history second to none which we're rightly proud of.
Enjoy your visit to Edinburgh.

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
Welcome Nick,

What weekend are you in Edinburgh, as you may be able to take a game in?

Im away on Fri 13th till Sunday mate.
Looking forward to it.

Will the club shop be open do you know?

Hibercelona
Welcome to the board.

Hibs are not a religious club, we pride ourselves in being a family club and welcome to all walks of life.

Although, unfortunately (like any other club) you will come across the odd tube from time to time, but you'll rarely run into any bother at ER mate. :aok:

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi Nick, welcome aboard. Might be an idea to look up the story of Hibernian on Wikipedia. We have a history second to none which we're rightly proud of.
:aok: will do thank you!

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
first of welcome, secondly, hibs are NOT a catholic club, we are a non-denominational club....followed by both protestants and catholics alike(as are the gimps on the other side of town), and i imagine a few other denominations as well, bigotry in edinburgh is nothing like the evil in glasgow/west of scotland :aok:

p.s. mon the leeds :greengrin

Thanks for the info mate!..

Baldy Foghorn
03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Looking forward to it.

Should be open on the Saturday, new strip is just out, so they will want to maximise revenue.....

Keith_M
03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Welcome aboard.

We already have a token Englishman supporting us called Scouse Hibee so he might feel a bit miffed, as he likes to think he's a bit special, apart from that you should be okay visiting ER.

Oh and when did Hibs become a Catholic club? Ma grandfaither would turn in his grave if he thought Id turned into a pap...., sorry I mean member of the Roman Faith :wink:

edwards
03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi Mchib

If your lucky what happened to you on the 19th May, you have probably come on board at the right time as we are going through major changes and fingers crossed we will see an improvement this season as we have been absolutely gash for the past three years [ probably more ]
We do have a catholic background and were formed by a bunch of Irish People many moons ago hence the name, although we have a lot of catholic support I would say we were a multi cultural club with a variety of support.
Hope you and your fiance enjoy your trip up to edinburgh and don't worry about being english promise we don't run around in kilts and shout freedom 24hours a day' we are a more cultured species and now own coloured tv's :agree:

Jesus I hope your right about being lucky mind you we could always burn you at a stake in the grassmarket :wink:

Hiber-nation
03-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Looking forward to it.

Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Club shop opening hours at weekends:

Friday: 12.00 to 5.00pm
Saturday: 10.00am to 5.00pm

http://www.hibsshop.co.uk/info.asp?Page=AboutUs

DH1875
03-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Bloody Glory hunter :greengrin.

Make sure you get your *** on the database cause rather stupidly you can't get tickets for the bigger home games unless your on it. Would hate for you to come all this way and no get in. Shop details are all here:

http://www.hibsshop.co.uk/info.asp?Page=AboutUs

Ray_
03-07-2012, 06:45 PM

Which part of London are you in? There is a London Hibs supporters club & if Hibs are on TV, when City ain't playing, there's a pub in Camden Town where like minded congragate to watch the footy.

PS, I lived in Manchester for a while & while most of my mates were City fans, George Best had already pulled my affections towards the other side of the City.

BullbreedHFC
03-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Welcome Nick, great to see City doing so well mate, loved the ending to the season, best ever in the EPL :wink: hope you and your fiance enjoy your weekend in Edinburgh - Hibs and City for me :aok:

TheMentalHibees
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Any way i hope i bring Hibs as much luck following them as i have with supporting Man City! (i was there v Gillingham at Wembley).

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Rooney-19.jpg

rcarter1
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Welcome Nick,

All I can say is

"Balotelli - Agueroooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I swear you'll never see anything like this again!

Watch it, drink it in...... Stupendous!"

Favourite EPL moment of all time

You may need to take a slight dip in quality when coming to Easter road, but hopefully this seasons bunch will have a bit more bottle (pun intended check out the new strip..)

HH81
03-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Who is that?

.Sean.
03-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Thankfully not. We ain't religious.

JohnStephens91
03-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Who is that?

Looks like something from 10,000 BC, we need an archaeologist to check out this discovery.

DH1875
03-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Who is that?

Looks like something from 10,000 BC, we need an archaeologist to check out this discovery.

Really? You lot jest. One of the biggest **** in football :agree:.

Gez1875
03-07-2012, 08:45 PM

you defo need to read our history!!!! although we where a catholic club, religion left our stadium decades ago and rightly so, no matter where your from and what religion you are, you are welcome to easter road as long as you behave yourself, our heritage is irish catholic but we are a scottish FOOTBALL club.....and football is what we are about and normally apart from the last couple of years we play lovely football.... get yourself into a game and hit a pub before and after the game.....you'll defo have a great night!!!! ggtth!

Ray_
03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
you defo need to read our history!!!! although we where a catholic club, religion left our stadium decades ago and rightly so, no matter where your from and what religion you are, you are welcome to easter road as long as you behave yourself, our heritage is irish catholic but we are a scottish FOOTBALL club.....and football is what we are about and normally apart from the last couple of years we play lovely football.... get yourself into a game and hit a pub before and after the game.....you'll defo have a great night!!!! ggtth!

They are coming up on the 13th July until the 15th, the fitba will have to wait until another time :greengrin

DevonLoch
03-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Welcome Nick

My wife is a lifelong City supporter and spent many Saturday afternoons at Maine Road with her and her dad while living in Manchester in the 80's. I'm a lifelong Hibee - first game at Easter Road in 1964 at 4 years oid - liftover (anyone remember those?) at the turnstiles from my Dad.

Used to say that Hibs and City had a lot in common - great set of supporters, some great sides and players over the years but rarely achieving glory and overshadowed by more successful near neighbours. And then City came good (admittedly the 100's of millions Mansour brought to the party might have had a little to do with it). But FA Cup followed by EPL Champions - absolutely fantastic and that final game of the season, what a stoater! Wanted to take a City Champions flag with me to Hampden for the Cup final, but the City shop didn't have them ready in time.

Now living in Torbay and follow Torquay United too and thought we would do the treble last season - EPL for City, Scottish Cup for Hibs and promotion for Torquay. Sadly not! One out of three ain't bad - personally I would have traded the EPL for City for the Scottish Cup for Hibs, wife less inclined to do so!

Have a great time in Edinburgh. The locals are friendly - the ones in green and white, avoid the inbred neanderthals in maroon - and the beer is pretty good too!

http://www.imsmarketing.co.uk/images/hibs_mcfc.jpg

Jonnyboy
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Or you could read the real story on dot net :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/list.php?category/3-we-are-hibernian-fc&page=4

Scroll down to part one and off you go :aok:

Macaroon
03-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Although the club's roots are Irish, I wouldn't say we were a catholic club and instead would like to think that we strive to distance ourselves from any religious ties whatsoever. Leave that for the ugly sisters across the M8! You will have no problems at all walking about around Easter Road any more than you would have walking around Princes Street.

Anyways, welcome!

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Welcome Nick

My wife is a lifelong City supporter and spent many Saturday afternoons at Maine Road with her and her dad while living in Manchester in the 80's. I'm a lifelong Hibee - first game at Easter Road in 1964 at 4 years oid - liftover (anyone remember those?) at the turnstiles from my Dad.

Used to say that Hibs and City had a lot in common - great set of supporters, some great sides and players over the years but rarely achieving glory and overshadowed by more successful near neighbours. And then City came good (admittedly the 100's of millions Mansour brought to the party might have had a little to do with it). But FA Cup followed by EPL Champions - absolutely fantastic and that final game of the season, what a stoater! Wanted to take a City Champions flag with me to Hampden for the Cup final, but the City shop didn't have them ready in time.

Now living in Torbay and follow Torquay United too and thought we would do the treble last season - EPL for City, Scottish Cup for Hibs and promotion for Torquay. Sadly not! One out of three ain't bad - personally I would have traded the EPL for City for the Scottish Cup for Hibs, wife less inclined to do so!

Have a great time in Edinburgh. The locals are friendly - the ones in green and white, avoid the inbred neanderthals in maroon - and the beer is pretty good too!

http://www.imsmarketing.co.uk/images/hibs_mcfc.jpgIm so overwhelmed by the kind words people on here have said to me. My following of Hibs has been justified!
I seriously cant wait to see the stadium!.. im a south stander at the Etihad. Right near the away fans! not bad atmosphere, but nothing on Maine Rd. Can i ask what is the atmosphere like at Easter Rd?.. what sort of attendance do we get and is there any particular stand thats lively?

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Illl defo have to go to a game this season when im not in Manchester!

frazeHFC
03-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the forum! Defo not a catholic club, i'm not catholic for one. We're just Hibs through and through. :agree: GGTTH! :thumbsup:

Who is that?

Think that is Mainboy on his 19th birthday? :greengrin

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Welcome Nick,

All I can say is

"Balotelli - Agueroooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I swear you'll never see anything like this again!

Watch it, drink it in...... Stupendous!"

Favourite EPL moment of all time

You may need to take a slight dip in quality when coming to Easter road, but hopefully this seasons bunch will have a bit more bottle (pun intended check out the new strip..) Mate, i aged 40 years that game!.. i just thought the typical City was back! all that hard work to **** it up against QPR!... All Hibs need now is a mega rich owner!:aok:

down-the-slope
03-07-2012, 09:29 PM

Welcome to Forum...just post when you want to come..someone on here will sort you with tickets..a friendly bunch and a good night out a certainty :aok:

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Which part of London are you in? There is a London Hibs supporters club & if Hibs are on TV, when City ain't playing, there's a pub in Camden Town where like minded congragate to watch the footy.

PS, I lived in Manchester for a while & while most of my mates were City fans, George Best had already pulled my affections towards the other side of the City.
Im in Wanstead work in Liverpool St... i think they all meet in a pub called the Quinn in Camden Town...

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Welcome to Forum...just post when you want to come..someone on here will sort you with tickets..a friendly bunch and a good night out a certainty :aok:
Cheers! Many Thanks!... Up the Hibs!

Macaroon
03-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Im so overwhelmed by the kind words people on here have said to me. My following of Hibs has been justified!
I seriously cant wait to see the stadium!.. im a south stander at the Etihad. Right near the away fans! not bad atmosphere, but nothing on Maine Rd. Can i ask what is the atmosphere like at Easter Rd?.. what sort of attendance do we get and is there any particular stand thats lively?

Attendances have been awful this season and very poor for a couple of seasons before that due to a massive drop in quality and really underachieving. But from what I saw on the last game of the season (15,000 attendance, beat Dunfermline 4-0 to relegate them.) Easter Road has a truly special atmosphere when fans show up. If we get a good start to the season under our belts, and an Edinburgh Derby at Easter Road brings a full house, you'll get a full taste of the Hibs atmosphere at it's best. For now, this will hopefully suffice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8

Favourite video on youtube. 35,000 Hibees singing our anthem after winning the League Cup in 2007

Macaroon
03-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Cheers! Many Thanks!... Up the Hibs!

GGTTH (Glory glory to the Hibees) following a message is more Hibs class ;)

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
GGTTH (Glory glory to the Hibees) following a message is more Hibs class ;)
GGTTH :aok:

LONDON/MCFC/HIB
03-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Attendances have been awful this season and very poor for a couple of seasons before that due to a massive drop in quality and really underachieving. But from what I saw on the last game of the season (15,000 attendance, beat Dunfermline 4-0 to relegate them.) Easter Road has a truly special atmosphere when fans show up. If we get a good start to the season under our belts, and an Edinburgh Derby at Easter Road brings a full house, you'll get a full taste of the Hibs atmosphere at it's best. For now, this will hopefully suffice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8

Favourite video on youtube. 35,000 Hibees singing our anthem after winning the League Cup in 2007
GREAT anthem!.. makes hairs on back of neck stand up!
Blue Moon is a cracker too! you need the fans to hold the scarfs up when singing it!..

Macaroon
03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
GGTTH :aok:

Sounding like a true Hibby !

Oh, and get used to hearing 1902 a lot if you are thinking of heading to a few games... A painful downside to being a Hibby.

And while I'm in YouTube mode, I want to share this with you; when Hibs were on the wrong end of one of the greatest comebacks in Scottish football's history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r-n8lFwPto&feature=related

frazeHFC
03-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Sounding like a true Hibby !

Oh, and get used to hearing 1902 a lot if you are thinking of heading to a few games... A painful downside to being a Hibby.

And while I'm in YouTube mode, I want to share this with you; when Hibs were on the wrong end of one of the greatest comebacks in Scottish football's history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r-n8lFwPto&feature=related

Attacking wise we were fantastic that night. Was like Barcelona in attack and.....well, Hibs in defence!

Emerald
03-07-2012, 10:09 PM

:hmmm: Followed Hibs for years. Dont know what the attendances are, ask what stand is the one for the best atmosphere. Tell us we need to put our scarves up when we sing Sunshine on Leith. You only need to spend five minutes on the Hibs web site to find out the store hours and less than that on here to answer your other questions. Are Hibs catholic and is it safe for an Englishman to be walking round a the stadium?? Is this a wind up?

Macaroon
03-07-2012, 10:10 PM
GREAT anthem!.. makes hairs on back of neck stand up!
Blue Moon is a cracker too! you need the fans to hold the scarfs up when singing it!..

An anthem isn't an anthem without a see of scarves.

8409 8410

frazeHFC
03-07-2012, 10:14 PM
:hmmm: Followed Hibs for years. Dont know what the attendances are, ask what stand is the one for the best atmosphere. Tell us we need to put our scarves up when we sing Sunshine on Leith. You only need to spend five minutes on the Hibs web site to find out the store hours and less than that on here to answer your other questions. Are Hibs catholic and is it safe for an Englishman to be walking round a the stadium?? Is this a wind up?

I have followed the results of Huddersfield for a few years and wouldn't know any of it about them.

London Hibs FC
03-07-2012, 10:17 PM
... i think they all meet in a pub called the Quinn in Camden Town... :agree:

Leith/ Portobello (Hibs side of town) born and bred but been in London for 'time' now, there are a good few of us down here.

An important passage in our fairly recent history can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPyyqI9WjSQ

Pass n' move to the Hibees groove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0

The Greatest Game in History was the game on New Year's Day...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM

Welcome to the Family Kiddo.
GGTTH

HH81
03-07-2012, 10:24 PM
I have followed the results of Huddersfield for a few years and wouldn't know any of it about them.

About 13-14k, stand across from where players come out, nearest station - Huddersfield, is it safe for an sCOTTISHMAN to be walking round a the stadium?? Not you. Is this a wind up? Never.

:wink:

frazeHFC
03-07-2012, 10:31 PM
About 13-14k, stand across from where players come out, nearest station - Huddersfield, is it safe for an sCOTTISHMAN to be walking round a the stadium?? Not you. Is this a wind up? Never.

:wink:

:tee hee: :greengrin

djs69
03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Check out the London hibs site, sure they get together to watch matches.
http://www.hibs.net/londonhibs/

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hibercelona
03-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Im so overwhelmed by the kind words people on here have said to me. My following of Hibs has been justified!

Put it this way.... you'll learn bad words that you never knew existed. :greengrin

Ray_
03-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Im in Wanstead work in Liverpool St... i think they all meet in a pub called the Quinn in Camden Town...

I know Wanstead well enough & I work at Liverpool Street as well, my office overlooks the square where the MacDonald's refurb is going on and Quinns it is. I've taken many mates up to Edinburgh, over the years, mainly for Hibby experiences and they have always had a great time. [None of them made the mistake of taking their fiancé though :greengrin].

frazeHFC
03-07-2012, 11:30 PM

:agree:

East stand, Sections 42/43. The attendances have been piss poor lately, but as shown against Dunfermline there is the potential for a decent crowd, we just need the team to win back the part timers.

Hibernia&Alba
04-07-2012, 12:41 AM
I must make the point of Man Citeh fans not coming from Manchester. I expect they are a growing breed now :greengrin

No offence, Nick. My family connections are to the other Manchester club and they are locals :giruy:

Welcome along to the forum, you've at least got more sense in the Scottish game. Do bear in mind that Hibs are not a Catholic club but is open to all religions and non-believers, as well as all viewpoints that are tolerant of others. The club isn't used as a vehicle for other agendas, unlike one or two others up here. You'll find all sorts of opinions on hibs.net.

Finally, I hope you know what you're letting yourself in for. Following Hibs is how it was for City fans a few years back. Expect the unexpected! :flag:

P.S. Any mention of the last day of the EPL season will result in a request to have you banned :greengrin

DH1875
04-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Make a point of getting on the database though as it'll save any hassle for tickets for the bigger games.

SaulGoodman
04-07-2012, 12:08 PM

Dreamworks new Shrek film looks almost life-like.

PatHead
04-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the Hibs family. (Despite Gillingham being my English club).

Sure you will manage to share a few disappointments with us.

(BTW there are 3 different Michelin starred Restaurants in Leith if you are looking for a romantic meal with the significant other.)