PDA

View Full Version : Deeks

spike220
03-07-2012, 08:15 AM
It has been far too long since he had own thread.

I was starting to wonder if I was logging on the right web site, due to the lack of Deeks threads.

Anyway back on topic: Deeks would have him back now?

:fishin:

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I would, on one condition. He came on before each match and waved a tri colour at each stand.:wink:

McIntosh
03-07-2012, 08:48 AM
I would, on one condition. He came on before each match and waved a tri colour at each stand.:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAwHmbBJ8lo

:wink:

Newry Hibs
03-07-2012, 08:57 AM

One of which is surely shorter than the others?

hibbymac
03-07-2012, 09:10 AM

I was starting to wonder if I was logging on the right web site, due to the lack of Deeks threads.

:confused: Deeks would have who back now? :dunno:

brog
03-07-2012, 09:13 AM

I had exactly the same thoughts!! Does he have a club? Assume St J period is over?

tamig
03-07-2012, 09:16 AM
I had exactly the same thoughts!! Does he have a club? Assume St J period is over?

Think he's still banned from all the clubs in Edinburgh though.

Lungo--Drom
03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Sorry but lazy prima donna best sums up any match I saw him in. I know he scored goals but only when someone laid the ball on a velvet cushion at his feet and said, "If your imperial Deekness would be so kind as to consider scoring a goal it would bring majesterial pleasure to the plebian plethora who are watching." He could have scored twice as many if he'd tried 100% of the time instead of 33%

Prof. Shaggy
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Sorry but lazy prima donna best sums up any match I saw him in. I know he scored goals but only when someone laid the ball on a velvet cushion at his feet and said, "If your imperial Deekness would be so kind as to consider scoring a goal it would bring majesterial pleasure to the plebian plethora who are watching." He could have scored twice as many if he'd tried 100% of the time instead of 33%

I'll guess you've missed a few, then,

brog
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM

I'm sorry, I'm probably rising to the bait but the comment above is the most ludicrous ( & that's some statement ) I have ever seen on this site. Deek scored goals other players could only dream about. I've been watching Hibs for well over 50 years & IMO Deek is 2nd only to the great Joe in terms of goalscoring ability.
I'm sure someone more able than me can post the You Tube compilation of Deek goals, hopefully you'll then think twice re that statement.

AlbertK86
03-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Laid on a plate .... U must be having a giraffe !!

He created many many goals from nothing for himself.

Yep he can be a lazy git but no way did he rely on others laying them on a plate

lyonhibs
03-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Re: the highlighted phrase, rearrange the following into a well known phrase.

Pish.

Utter.

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Re: the highlighted phrase, rearrange the following into a well known phrase.

Pish.

Utter.

Did it, utter pish. :agree:

Judas Iscariot
03-07-2012, 10:30 AM

:troll:

:giruy:

hibbymac
03-07-2012, 10:30 AM

:faf:

heretoday
03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
No thanks.

leggeto
03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
dont think petrie wants him back cause o the trouble he gets in to,but id take him back for sure:flag::flag::flag:

Wotherspiniesta
03-07-2012, 11:28 AM

I didn't realise you can turn two emoticons into a contradiction. :greengrin

Bad Martini
03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
If I may :greengrin

He could have scored twice as many if he'd tried 100% of the time instead of 33%

Even a director of finances at rangers would equate that scoring twice as many goals (equating to 100%) of the time would suggest he was trying only 50% of the time, thus scoring half the goals.

However, your 33% of the time infers he tried around 1/3 (just shy, as one third is in fact 33.33333333333 :greengrin) :cb :agree:

Anyways, its aw pish given most of his goals come from **** knows where it a team of (mostly) no-hoper journeymen who couldnae pass a ***** efter having a good steamin curry.

Regards to whether we'd have him back / whether he'd come back....

Doubt it'll happen. Again.

Then again, I didnt ever dream the huns would go bust and **** off into realtive nothingness and that particular alterior universe utopia seems to be unfolding. :aok:

ENDOF

Hibbyradge
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
He hasn't got a club.

And as a result, he hasn't got a golf club either.

yekimevol
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Paddy is trying to get the right character into this squad, not a bloke who does not work hard and partys all the time. St Johnstone decided not to renew the guys contract, that tells me enough. Please tell me people have not forgotten his last 6 months at hibs ? Big sodje scored more goals than him and did more work.

allezsauzee
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't think Deek would be Fenlon's type of player given the negative headlines that follow him. However I do think there is a lot of nonsense talked about Deek's supposed laziness on here. He is a striker, despite Yogi's best efforts to turn him into a left sided midfielder. To get the best out of your strikers you don't have them haring about the park trying to win the ball or they're knackered by the time they get it.

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't think Deek would be Fenlon's type of player given the negative headlines that follow him. However I do think there is a lot of nonsense talked about Deek's supposed laziness on here. He is a striker, despite Yogi's best efforts to turn him into a left sided midfielder. To get the best out of your strikers you don't have them haring about the park trying to win the ball or they're knackered by the time they get it.

Tony Mowbray played him on the left too, what a scandal?

.Sean.
03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
i'd love him back at Hibs, to be honest. Legend.

Hibernia Na Eir
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
i'd love him back at Hibs, to be honest. Legend.

legend?
are you serious?

Leishy1995
03-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Still to this day the most natural finisher I've seen in a long time. Imagine someone booted him up the arse?

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2012, 01:26 PM
legend?
are you serious?

Seems to describe him well enough for me Mr D!

03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Deek has a lot of natural talent and gave us some wonderful memories in a hibs jersey but I think his time with us has been and gone tbh. I wish him all the best but I think we should be moving on and bringing fresh faces rather than recycling former players again.

Thanks for the memories Deek, you will always be held in high regard in the hibs family but its time for us both to move on.

.Sean.
03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
legend?
are you serious?
Over 100 goals for the Hibs. Serious? You bet. Deadly serious.

Purple & Green
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm sorry, I'm probably rising to the bait but the comment above is the most ludicrous ( & that's some statement ) I have ever seen on this site. Deek scored goals other players could only dream about. I've been watching Hibs for well over 50 years & IMO Deek is 2nd only to the great Joe in terms of goalscoring ability.
I'm sure someone more able than me can post the You Tube compilation of Deek goals, hopefully you'll then think twice re that statement.

+1, but 25 years though.

kentao
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM

I suppose this is the goal your referring to. To be honest it was a great pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCi33Vdb-g

Not a bad strike for a Lazy Primadonna.

Andy74
03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Tony Mowbray played him on the left too, what a scandal?

Hughes also got, what 15 goals out of him from wide left, on the way to a 4th placed finish.

I'd take that kind of nonsense right now.

This is up ther with ruining Wotherspoon by getting him to play his best football as part of a defence that had the best record of any Hibs back 4 in decades.

The Modfather
03-07-2012, 03:52 PM
We should be aiming for better than the Derek Riordan of 2012. Not the type of signing if we are serious about changing the culture at Easter Road.

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Paddy is trying to get the right character into this squad, not a bloke who does not work hard and partys all the time. St Johnstone decided not to renew the guys contract, that tells me enough. Please tell me people have not forgotten his last 6 months at hibs ? Big sodje scored more goals than him and did more work.

I think Pat and Deek would get on quite well, a couple of moaning faced gits, and as far as i know his contract was to the end of the season with St Js, that was the deal, please tell me people haven't forgotten the years before at Hibs instead of the last six months, how many games did Sodje play in the last six months compared to Deek.

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 03:56 PM
legend?
are you serious?

Think he is, even Hiberniain Football Club recognise him as a Hibs legend, something to do with 104 goals scored for the club.

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Think he is, even Hiberniain Football Club recognise him as a Hibs legend, something to do with 104 goals scored for the club.

Rubbish, legend status should be reseved for the likes of Paul Power, and Bobby Hutchinson. Maybe they never scored as many goals, but they at least put a shift in for the cause.

Hiber-nation
03-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Rubbish, legend status should be reseved for the likes of Paul Power, and Bobby Hutchinson. Maybe they never scored as many goals, but they at least put a shift in for the cause.

And Lee Tosh :wink:

SRHibs
03-07-2012, 04:17 PM
If I may :greengrin

Even a director of finances at rangers would equate that scoring twice as many goals (equating to 100%) of the time would suggest he was trying only 50% of the time, thus scoring half the goals.

However, your 33% of the time infers he tried around 1/3 (just shy, as one third is in fact 33.33333333333 :greengrin) :cb :agree:

Anyways, its aw pish given most of his goals come from **** knows where it a team of (mostly) no-hoper journeymen who couldnae pass a ***** efter having a good steamin curry.

Regards to whether we'd have him back / whether he'd come back....

Doubt it'll happen. Again.

Then again, I didnt ever dream the huns would go bust and **** off into realtive nothingness and that particular alterior universe utopia seems to be unfolding. :aok:

ENDOF

No, because you have to take into account natural talent too. Trying twice as hard doesn't simply get you twice as many goals.

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2012, 04:23 PM
And Lee Tosh :wink:

:faf::faf: Yip imagine forgetting the legend that is Lee Tosh. :greengrin

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Hughes also got, what 15 goals out of him from wide left, on the way to a 4th placed finish.

I'd take that kind of nonsense right now.

This is up ther with ruining Wotherspoon by getting him to play his best football as part of a defence that had the best record of any Hibs back 4 in decades.

17 goals with double figures in assists that season with a call up to the Scotland squad as well.

Rossco1875
03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
with a strong midfield to supply him balls and the right mentality behind the scenes which it looks like fenlon is trying to install deek would still run riot again in the SPL.

And all this nonsense about him not being a club legend some people need to have a word 104 goals.:rolleyes:

Andy74
03-07-2012, 04:38 PM
17 goals with double figures in assists that season with a call up to the Scotland squad as well.

If only he'd run about a bit more though eh? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2012, 04:39 PM

He was rubbish that season, we were 3rd for ages and 2 points off 2nd. Imagine being in a side that went that far downhill they only scraped into europe because Dundee Utd played there reserve team in the final game.

Most of that team wouldn't get near the bench these days, i'm glad we have these good times, rather than look back at when we struggled.

Rossco1875
03-07-2012, 04:43 PM
He was rubbish that season, we were 3rd for ages and 2 points off 2nd. Imagine being in a side that went that far downhill they only scraped into europe because Dundee Utd played there reserve team in the final game.

Most of that team wouldn't get near the bench these days, i'm glad we have these good times, rather than look back at when we struggled.

Would rather have someone who scored 17 goals in a bad season than a O'Donovan to hand.:agree:

Hainan Hibs
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Don't want him anywhere near ER. Only a couple of months ago at the age of 29 he was up at court after being charged for assault. He never learns, pissed away yet another chance to turn his career around.

I know it's hard for most posters to get over the man crush they hold for Deeks but his work rate, attitude and inability to stay out of trouble mean he is not the type of player we need at ER if we are to turn the club around.

chrisski33
03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Isnt there a thread about deeks already? He wont be resigned and hes had his time at hibs. Think hes past his best and why shud re sign him again? Time to move on from signing past players.

basehibby
03-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Deeks was often brilliant for us but seemed to have lost the crucial half yard of pace towards the end of his last spell which resulted in an ineffectual last half season at ER. Also, if I was Deeks I'd have had my fill of Edinburgh given the victimisation/justice(???) dished out to him by the authorities - not even allowed in the city centre IIRC - if I was him I'd be looking to get as far away as possible and concentrate on getting my form back.

Hibercelona
03-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Had bags of talent and a massive future ahead of him and then threw it all away.

Will always be remembered and respected for his goal scoring talents at hibs, but not for his overall attitude.

1959 Hibby
03-07-2012, 06:11 PM

He sucked the life out of the team virtually every game he played last year: oozed negativity and lack of interest. So - no way I'd have him back. Bags of talent, yes - but shamefully wasted.

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
He should have scored 200 goals for Hibs to get legend status.

He could have played for Barca if he wisney as lazy.

Cut his baws aff.

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Don't want him anywhere near ER. Only a couple of months ago at the age of 29 he was up at court after being charged for assault. He never learns, pissed away yet another chance to turn his career around.

I know it's hard for most posters to get over the man crush they hold for Deeks but his work rate, attitude and inability to stay out of trouble mean he is not the type of player we need at ER if we are to turn the club around.

When was his last conviction for anything, how can you learn when you have never been convicted of anything, unless you count speeding in your car as a serious crime, i am sure a speeding conviction is wiped of after so many years.

And you have heard of innocent until proven guilty, yes.

If you believe everything that the rags print. And they have printed some pish about Deek in there time and hilariously enough they are the ones who have been found guilty of contempt of court regarding the printing of pish about Deek, maybe that's why they don't like him.

The second bit is your opinion, since you are not Pat Fenlon. :aok:

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Deeks was often brilliant for us but seemed to have lost the crucial half yard of pace towards the end of his last spell which resulted in an ineffectual last half season at ER. Also, if I was Deeks I'd have had my fill of Edinburgh given the victimisation/justice(???) dished out to him by the authorities - not even allowed in the city centre IIRC - if I was him I'd be looking to get as far away as possible and concentrate on getting my form back.

Best post i have read on this thread so far. :aok:

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 06:40 PM
He sucked the life out of the team virtually every game he played last year: oozed negativity and lack of interest. So - no way I'd have him back. Bags of talent, yes - but shamefully wasted.

And still ended up top goal scorer.

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2012, 06:42 PM
And still ended up top goal scorer.

:agree: Who was our top scorer this season, i genuinely dont know?

Dashing Bob S
03-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Ah, the Deeks deja vu thread. Thought we were missing something.

judas
03-07-2012, 06:47 PM

The boy is a ring piece. So, he has a lot in common with most of last years squad, and like that squad he should be left in the past.

Also would add 'away and get your own user name'

Many thanks

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
If only he'd run about a bit more though eh? :greengrin

I remember the first game of the season against Motherwell, he never scored a goal that day but sure he set the four goals up, worked his socks of in that game and was up and down the wing for the 90 minutes, Harry Potter was at that game and commented on Sportscene later on that he needed to do more.
Now i know he never scored in that game but it was quite clear he had goals in him, and what more could he do, apart from run about a bit more. :greengrin

LeighLoyal
03-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I think he's washed up to be honest, plus he comes with plenty baggage like GOC. I'd rather we got in Griffiths and gave a chance to young Handling, or the other lad Caldwell. We need an experienced guy that can hold it up like a 98/99 vintage Mixu.

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 07:07 PM
The boy is a ring piece. So, he has a lot in common with most of last years squad, and like that squad he should be left in the past.

Many thanks

How about this ya , he didn't play for Hibs last season.

scoopyboy
03-07-2012, 07:09 PM
I remember the first game of the season against Motherwell, he never scored a goal that day but sure he set the four goals up, worked his socks of in that game and was up and down the wing for the 90 minutes, Harry Potter was at that game and commented on Sportscene later on that he needed to do more.
Now i know he never scored in that game but it was quite clear he had goals in him, and what more could he do, apart from run about a bit more. :greengrin

He did play really well Silv but we won 3-2:greengrin

McSwanky
03-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Many thanks

Classy.

I'll remember Riordan for all the goals he scored for my team. That is all.

Sweet Left Peg
03-07-2012, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Lungo--Drom;3283168]Sorry but lazy prima donna best sums up any match I saw him in. I know he scored goals but only when someone laid the ball on a velvet cushion at his feet and said, "If your imperial Deekness would be so kind as to consider scoring a goal it would bring majesterial pleasure to the plebian plethora who are watching." He could have scored twice as many if he'd tried 100% of the time instead of 33%[/QUOTE

I cannot believe that I have read such garbage. It will be a long, long time until we see the types of goal he has scored again. Latterly he has divided opinion, partly due to different personnel and tactics, partly because he has lost a yard of pace. Possibly because he has lost some hunger. On his day he has proven to be a match-winner and has given us some great thrills. Would I have him back? No. Will I remember him as a gifted, talented and at times frustrating servant to the club? Certainly. If you ever doubt what he has done for the club, then have a look at youtube or the DVD of Mowbray's first season. Time to move on though, methinks.

snooky
03-07-2012, 07:27 PM
I cannot believe that I have read such garbage. It will be a long, long time until we see the types of goal he has scored again. Latterly he has divided opinion, partly due to different personnel and tactics, partly because he has lost a yard of pace. Possibly because he has lost some hunger. On his day he has proven to be a match-winner and has given us some great thrills. Would I have him back? No. Will I remember him as a gifted, talented and at times frustrating servant to the club? Certainly. If you ever doubt what he has done for the club, then have a look at youtube or the DVD of Mowbray's first season. Time to move on though, methinks.

:top marks :aok: That sums it up for me too.

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 07:39 PM
:agree: Who was our top scorer this season, i genuinely dont know?

GOC. :aok:

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
[B]

He did play really well Silv but we won 3-2:greengrin

Ooops Scoops, putting it down to old age. :aok: :greengrin

HH81
03-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Is he not signing for Bradford City then? :-)

silverhibee
03-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Is he not signing for Bradford City then? :-)

http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/doncaster-rumours.php :shocked: :greengrin

snooky
03-07-2012, 08:09 PM

'Doncaster' not the flavour of the month (well, up here anyway :wink: )

HH81
03-07-2012, 08:10 PM

I can get to Doncaster easy, tickets please :-)

Jonnyboy
03-07-2012, 09:37 PM
dont think petrie wants him back cause o the trouble he gets in to,but id take him back for sure:flag::flag::flag:

Quite right too. Cannae be bringing back someone who's banned from Edinburgh clubs and made a ridiculous comment about the ER playing surface. It is however acceptable to be almost moved to tears in bringing home that guy who was/is up on drugs and insurance fraud charges :wink:

Lungo--Drom
04-07-2012, 12:28 AM
My apologies, I was not explaining myself very well. I watched loads of matches and the man was just wandering about moaning. Yes he DID score some amazing goals. My point I was trying to make, not very well I admit now, was that if he had tried as hard or as often as some players did or do then think of all the even more great goals he could have scored. I sometimes wonder if he suffered from depression or something? Anyway as all the pro-Deeks squad have come bounding out the woodwork I will wind my fishing rod back in and close my bait tub until another time :D O;)

Laid on a plate .... U must be having a giraffe !!

He created many many goals from nothing for himself.

Yep he can be a lazy git but no way did he rely on others laying them on a plate

IWasThere2016
04-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Can any of Deeks' mockers advise when we'll next see a Hibs player score 104 goals please?

Dinkydoo
04-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Would much prefer Leigh Griffiths to be honest. I loved DR in his first spell and even in the first few games when he came back, but going there would be a step backwards for both parties IMO. Deek needs to settle down and work his ass off for another club to try to get his career back in track, and I just can't see it working out if he was to try to do that at Hibs. He needs a fresh start.

Beefster
04-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Can any of Deeks' mockers advise when we'll next see a Hibs player score 104 goals please?

Only if you tell me this Saturday's lottery numbers and who shot JFK.

Hainan Hibs
04-07-2012, 06:54 AM
When was his last conviction for anything, how can you learn when you have never been convicted of anything, unless you count speeding in your car as a serious crime, i am sure a speeding conviction is wiped of after so many years.

He was banned from every nightclub under the unite scheme. That should've been a sign to knuckle down with his football but it never happened, the same ***** kept coming up. He was given yet another chance to save his career at St Johnstone, and yet again he got in bother and in the papers, and St Johnstone let the contract run out. It's what I'd expect from someone who is 18-22, no 29 with a young kid and a career quickly going down the pan.

If you believe everything that the rags print. And they have printed some pish about Deek in there time and hilariously enough they are the ones who have been found guilty of contempt of court regarding the printing of pish about Deek, maybe that's why they don't like him.

I know how much ***** papers print, however Deeks could've done himself a favour by staying away from clubs in Edinburgh and therefore goiving them nothing to print. He didn't, and once again the papers got hold of the latest George Street news and it was all over the front page and now he finds himself without a club.

The second bit is your opinion, since you are not Pat Fenlon. :aok:

No I'm not but from what Pat Fenlon has said in the media he seems to think along the same lines. He knows a culture change is needed and the George Street Crew don't have a place at ER.

Hibrandenburg
04-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks but no thanks. Deek hasn't got the attitude that needs to be instilled in the team. No denying the natural talent that the guy had, but without the right attitude even talent will only serve someone so long.

There's nothing new in this thread and unlikely to be. The only thing that Deek threads bring to the forum is division at a time when we should be uniting.

silverhibee
04-07-2012, 10:35 AM

FIFA 2013. :confused: :greengrin

Never is the answer TQM.

In Pat we Trust.

silverhibee
04-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Only if you tell me this Saturday's lottery numbers and who shot JFK.

4 10 11 12 2 1 9.

Someone with a gun.

mcfly
04-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Why is there always a thread about Derek riordan each transfer window??

Why this obsession with a player , who did very well for us but is an ex player.

Let's move forward and stop reminiscing. He won't be back as a player. Move on...

Peevemor
04-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Why is there always a thread about Derek riordan each transfer window??

Why this obsession with a player , who did very well for us but is an ex player.

Let's move forward and stop reminiscing. He won't be back as a player. Move on...

There's a clue in the opening post. :greengrin

silverhibee
04-07-2012, 11:38 AM
He was banned from every nightclub under the unite scheme. That should've been a sign to knuckle down with his football but it never happened, the same ***** kept coming up. He was given yet another chance to save his career at St Johnstone, and yet again he got in bother and in the papers, and St Johnstone let the contract run out. It's what I'd expect from someone who is 18-22, no 29 with a young kid and a career quickly going down the pan.

I asked what convictions he had, i couldn't give two hoots about the unite scheme, it is a sham that used DR for publicity, please tell me out of all the stories connected to the unite scheme from the press did DR get charged with anything, never is the answer, yes he got an on the spot fine for shouting in the Street, but that is not a conviction, strange how players are caught in the toilet of a nightclub taking a white powder and are not put on the unite scheme and a player who was just found guilty of a good amount of class A drugs up town is still more than welcome in nightclubs up town. Fair. Yes/No. The contract was only until the end of the season so of course it ran out, that's what happens when a contract comes to an end.
As i said innocent until prove other wise.

I know how much ***** papers print, however Deeks could've done himself a favour by staying away from clubs in Edinburgh and therefore goiving them nothing to print. He didn't, and once again the papers got hold of the latest George Street news and it was all over the front page and now he finds himself without a club.

Why should he stay away from bars/clubs in the Capital, he comes from Edinburgh, for starters it was Lothian Road for the latest news from a paper who got it wrong big time, here it is, http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4303789/St-Johnstone-ace-Derek-Riordan-banged-up-over-brawl.html, DR was out of the police station before that guff was printed by the yam reporter, what a load of made up pish, you would think Mr Walker would have learned to just not print everything he reads on keekback as if it was the gospel about DR before he knows the facts about what happened on the night and next again day.
The bit in bold, what a joke that was as well, sure there was more important stuff happening in Scotland that weekend. :rolleyes:

No I'm not but from what Pat Fenlon has said in the media he seems to think along the same lines. He knows a culture change is needed and the George Street Crew don't have a place at ER.

All in your own opinion,, let me throw this at you, lets say PF was to come out tomorrow and say they were trying to get DR signed on a contract at Hibs(just imagine it ok) what would your thoughts be on PF then. ?

Mark79
04-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Jayne lewis from stv on twitter saying derek has a trial with a la liga team. WTF?

Seveno
04-07-2012, 03:49 PM
He's signed for Club 12. Banned for next season though.

blackpoolhibs
04-07-2012, 03:59 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/109336-derek-riordan-wins-chance-to-impress-in-spains-la-liga/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Holmesdale Hibs
04-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I really don't understand some of the Deek GTF mentality. His goals and moments of brilliance have lit up Easter Road and have been the some of the best highlights during my time watching Hibs.

IMO, we should move on and it would be a bad move for both parties but I genuinely wish him well and hope things work out for him, although preferably not in the SPL.

silverhibee
04-07-2012, 06:04 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/109336-derek-riordan-wins-chance-to-impress-in-spains-la-liga/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Chatbox folk ken whits goan on. :greengrin

frazeHFC
06-07-2012, 01:27 PM
A La Liga club? :eek: That would be class! :thumbsup: Even if he topped the scoring charts leaving Messi and Ronaldo trailing him it still wouldn't lead to a Scotland call up!

Judas Iscariot
06-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Many thanks

Pahahahahahahahaahaaa :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

"Mummy, that boy stole my ball!!!!" :dummytit:

.Sean.
06-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I'll guess at Levante or Espanyol.

IWasThere2016
06-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Never is the answer TQM.

Is the correct answer!

Andy74
06-07-2012, 03:15 PM

I'm not a mocker but maybe when we have another decent striker that plays for about 8 seasons for us?

.Sean.
06-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm not a mocker but maybe when we have another decent striker that plays for about 8 seasons for us?

Riordan wasn't a first-pick for Hibs for 8 seasons. 6 I count.

Over 100 goals at Hibs in 6 years ain't a bad return in my books.

Leishy1995
06-07-2012, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7oLNSAMgYs&feature=youtube_gdata_player Riordan's goal just shows how quick his mind is

SouthamptonHibs
06-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Riorden is class done great for Hibs in both spells. Played in a very good Hibs team 1st time and a brutal Hibs team 2nd time around and he still scored double figures in his last season. Garry O suffered last season from the same moans from the fans he is also class and managed to score double figures in what i will remember as the worst Hibs team ever last year! Imagine how many goals they both would score for us if we signed a decent midfield? I'd off had both off them at ER this year if we didn't have a midfield consisting of players like Carlos, osborne, sproule, Stevenson, wotherspoon etc hail hail

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-07-2012, 05:29 PM
No question that Riordan is a very talented player. For me, he is the defining player of his generation at Easter Road and the best finisher I have seen in green and white. To suggest however, that he has made the most of his ability is horsefeathers.

blackpoolhibs
06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
No question that Riordan is a very talented player. For me, he is the defining player of his generation at Easter Road and the best finisher I have seen in green and white. To suggest however, that he has made the most of his ability is horsefeathers.

I have played with players who had the best ability in our team by miles, but ask them to get stuck in and work their bollox off for the team, and they came up short. In my opinion, Riordan is similar, he has all the ability and more, but he's just not very good at defending, tracking back and tackling.

If he was, he'd have been a top top player. Some players can run all day, but have little ability on the ball, others cant but are tremendous players with the ball. Those that have both, make it to the top, those who dont play lower down the food chain.

Riordan gets slaughtered on here for not trying, personally i think that rubbish, he got as far as he did in the game because of his ability, and despite his strength and lack of pace.

I always laugh when i see threads about players like Riordan and Bamba, even Stokes. They contributed more than most, and we hounded them when they were at the club for their lack of professionalism. They then leave and look who we replace them with, normally players with a better engine, and a fraction of the ability. The results are there for all to see. :rolleyes:

Mibbes Aye
06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I have played with players who had the best ability in our team by miles, but ask them to get stuck in and work their bollox off for the team, and they came up short. In my opinion, Riordan is similar, he has all the ability and more, but he's just not very good at defending, tracking back and tackling.

If he was, he'd have been a top top player. Some players can run all day, but have little ability on the ball, others cant but are tremendous players with the ball. Those that have both, make it to the top, those who dont play lower down the food chain.

Riordan gets slaughtered on here for not trying, personally i think that rubbish, he got as far as he did in the game because of his ability, and despite his strength and lack of pace.

I always laugh when i see threads about players like Riordan and Bamba, even Stokes. They contributed more than most, and we hounded them when they were at the club for their lack of professionalism. They then leave and look who we replace them with, normally players with a better engine, and a fraction of the ability. The results are there for all to see. :rolleyes:

I think there are some fair points in there but I also think it's more nuanced.

It is possible to have both ability and an engine or athleticism, it's just that we are so used to (and perhaps accepting of) seeing homegrown players tending to use the former as an excuse to not bother with the latter.

My time supporting Hibs came after the Tornadoes and I reckon I've seen three really decent sides - Miller for a couple of seasons in the early-mid 90s; McLeish at the start of the century and the Mowbray/Collins CIS-winning team.

Of them, the one that was strongest was McLeish - built around Sauzee who had ability to spare but had also looked after himself and was able to show the energy and application necessary for the SPL. The consensus was that players like Lovell and Jack were the 'weaker' players in that side, full of enthusiasm but lacking something in technique. Yet, while they weren't the flair players in McLeish's side I suspect most of us would have had them in last season's team on technical ability.

Guess it just reflects the difference money makes - what a difference a better class of journeyman can make :greengrin

silverhibee
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM

He will show that Ronaldo and Messi how to put them away. :greengrin

Leishy1995
07-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Zidane played the game walking and was by far the best playmaker of my life. Riordan was a striker most of his life, and throughtout his youth was probably never expected to drop back and defend.

Good managers use these players in a way that fits into the team. Not sure how he'd be used. Just how I look at the boy.

Future17
18-07-2012, 01:57 PM
On trial at MK Dons now.

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons/derek-riordan-training-with-dons-as-robbo-continues-to-look-at-forward-options-1-4066532

The Sea-gull
18-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Anyone else think Deeks might end up at The Rangers Football club if they are allowed to sign players?

VickMackie
18-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Anyone else think Deeks might end up at The Rangers Football club if they are allowed to sign players?

If they offer the most and don't have a transfer ban.

Judas Iscariot
18-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Nah

snooky
18-07-2012, 04:21 PM

:agree::top marks

Persevere80
19-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Hibs legend in my eyes, the best player to put on a hibs shirt in my time at easter road. Good luck to him down at mk dons.

.Sean.
19-07-2012, 11:16 PM
I'd love him back. Am I allowed to say that here on .net?

silverhibee
19-07-2012, 11:43 PM
I'd love him back. Am I allowed to say that here on .net?

No.

He is a waster who only sored 104 goals for the club he supports. Not Hibs Class. :wink: :greengrin

jamieross
20-07-2012, 07:46 AM
I dont care what anyone says, i have him back in a heartbeat.

Also in the 6 all game, how good did we look going forward :agree:

Devine
20-07-2012, 08:44 AM
I have to admit the last time Riordan left I thought the timing was probably right but with the potential signings and the state of the other teams in the SPL, finances etc I think its an opportunity to allow his to play up front in a 442

Sandy
20-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Take Deeks back in a heartbeat. Get some other less talented individuals to 'track back', 'cover for the full back' etc etc etc, and allow Derek to do what he does best - score goals for Hibs, SIMPLES.

J-C
20-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Unfortunately with PF's new team not involving any George St bevvy merchants, I think Deek coming back is a non starter.

clerriehibs
20-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately with PF's new team not involving any George St bevvy merchants, I think Deek coming back is a non starter.

What's that got to do with it? Deek's couldn't get in anywhere anyway due to the unfortunate combined efforts of ersehole chavs always trying to mix it, bouncers looking to stamp their authority by banning deeks instead of said chavs, and l&b's finest circumventing actual justice by publicly approving the lynch mob. All aided and abetted by that ridiculous 'newspaper' the EEN.

J-C
20-07-2012, 10:10 AM
What's that got to do with it? Deek's couldn't get in anywhere anyway due to the unfortunate combined efforts of ersehole chavs always trying to mix it, bouncers looking to stamp their authority by banning deeks instead of said chavs, and l&b's finest circumventing actual justice by publicly approving the lynch mob. All aided and abetted by that ridiculous 'newspaper' the EEN.

You forgot to mention his wee altercation just a month or so ago in Lothian Rd where he tried to have a go with a doorman, needless to say he was drunk at the time. Great wee player when he could be ersed, great scoring record but we need to move forward and forget about all the past players who are still looking for a club.

You think Deek is always innocent then when all these things happened, we need to be more professional as a club and players like Deek, GOC and Stack were a big problem. Palsson ( peeing ) away, McCormack ( drunken fight ) away etc etc.

silverhibee
20-07-2012, 11:46 AM
You forgot to mention his wee altercation just a month or so ago in Lothian Rd where he tried to have a go with a doorman, needless to say he was drunk at the time. Great wee player when he could be ersed, great scoring record but we need to move forward and forget about all the past players who are still looking for a club.

You think Deek is always innocent then when all these things happened, we need to be more professional as a club and players like Deek, GOC and Stack were a big problem. Palsson ( peeing ) away, McCormack ( drunken fight ) away etc etc.

When i have been out with him i have never seen him cause any bother at all, what i have seen is plenty folk giving him abuse for no reason at all other than he is Derek Riordan who used to play for Hibs, and it doesn't help his case that every doorman in the town see's him as an easy target to knock him back from clubs/pubs in the city centre, but allow Edinburgh's known faces in to there clubs due to the threats of reprisals from them, doorman don't seem to be too hard then.

Lets see how his court case goes for the incident you mention above, you sure he was drunk that night. ?

silverhibee
20-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Don't forget about the Sun and the yam reporter Douglas Walker who has been known to slaver a lot of pish about Deek in his paper.

J-C
20-07-2012, 12:22 PM
When i have been out with him i have never seen him cause any bother at all, what i have seen is plenty folk giving him abuse for no reason at all other than he is Derek Riordan who used to play for Hibs, and it doesn't help his case that every doorman in the town see's him as an easy target to knock him back from clubs/pubs in the city centre, but allow Edinburgh's known faces in to there clubs due to the threats of reprisals from them, doorman don't seem to be too hard then.

Lets see how his court case goes for the incident you mention above, you sure he was drunk that night. ?

We could argue all day as to whether it's Deek's fault, doormen or his ned mates, the truth still exists that although he is/was a very talented footballer, he got himself barred from every club in Edinburgh, either due to being drunk or just being mouthy, bottom line is PF wants rid ER of the drinking ned/George St culture that existed at our club, not a bad thing if you ask me.
Hence why he'll never be back at ER while PF is in charge.

The_Exile
20-07-2012, 12:34 PM
It amazes me how vast a percentage of people not only on this board but in life in general take newspaper reports and rumour as fact, and it's intelligent articulate folk too, it baffles me, utterly baffles me.

Palsson incident was bull, confirmed by club who sent someone up to the club to check. I've seen Deek out a couple of times and he never once caused bother, he seemed to just want a quiet night out with his mates, but he gets pelters for being who he is and then of course the stories grow arms and legs and he's painted as the charicature of what people are describing him as on this thread.

For what it's worth I don't think anyone could argue he's the most talented striker Hibs (or indeed the country) has produced for a generation. Most of our squad at the moment aren't fit to lace his boots, fair enough he might have made a few bad decisions off the park, but the game isn't played off the park, and whenever he's been on the park, whenever he's got the ball I'm on the edge of my seat, because we all know what he's capable of doing with the ball anywhere within 30 yards of goal.

Ps, I am not Deek :greengrin

clerriehibs
20-07-2012, 05:54 PM

you witnessed that wee altercation then? Or just quoting chapter and verse from keechback or the EEN?

If he was bad as the EEN claim, or l&b implicitly suggst, he'd have a hell of a criminal record. He doesn't; in fact i think my 2 parking tickets add up to more than his record.

steviehibsleith
21-07-2012, 12:04 PM
you witnessed that wee altercation then? Or just quoting chapter and verse from keechback or the EEN?

If he was bad as the EEN claim, or l&b implicitly suggst, he'd have a hell of a criminal record. He doesn't; in fact i think my 2 parking tickets add up to more than his record.
For me it's not that he gets in trouble it's purely the fact that as a professional footballer he's drinks too much and too often. Not paper talk seen him a few times as you say causing no trouble but throwing them back . Then when i see him playing a game 3 days later and think no wonder you r struggling !

silverhibee
21-07-2012, 03:02 PM
For me it's not that he gets in trouble it's purely the fact that as a professional footballer he's drinks too much and too often. Not paper talk seen him a few times as you say causing no trouble but throwing them back . Then when i see him playing a game 3 days later and think no wonder you r struggling !

So when Deek has a game on a Saturday you see him throwing them back on a Wednesday night yeah. Am i getting that right from you yeah. :aok:

J-C
21-07-2012, 08:27 PM

Going by another cabbie who witnessed it, no reason to doubt him.

silverhibee
21-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Going by another cabbie who witnessed it, no reason to doubt him.

Sigh.. :rolleyes:

hibb1
21-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Deeks said it before say it again gave me some of mine and ma laddies best Hibs memories ever:thumbsup: the goals he scored come on its the goals we all dreamed of scoring and he did it legend in my book:hibees..Do i think he could do it again yes he can:agree:..Oh and met him a cpla times up the toon and he a great person as well as a great hibby:thumbsup:

jacomo
22-07-2012, 04:02 PM
So when Deek has a game on a Saturday you see him throwing them back on a Wednesday night yeah. Am i getting that right from you yeah. :aok:

This is the problem - thinking its ok to down a few on a night out cos the game's a few days away.

Professional sportsmen can't get away with that attitude any more if they want to reach the top. Unfortunately in Scotland our footballers don't want to accept this, and the supporters let them get away with it.

Look how much further Steven Fletcher has gone in the game, by taking his career seriously. I think Riordan could have done the same and think its a tragedy that instead he's scrabbling around the lower leagues for a contract before the age of 30.

I wish him well, and am sure he's not the bad guy the papers portray him as, but please let's not make excuses for him. He could and should have achieved so much more.

leither17
22-07-2012, 04:10 PM
This is the problem - thinking its ok to down a few on a night out cos the game's a few days away.

Professional sportsmen can't get away with that attitude any more if they want to reach the top. Unfortunately in Scotland our footballers don't want to accept this, and the supporters let them get away with it.

Look how much further Steven Fletcher has gone in the game, by taking his career seriously. I think Riordan could have done the same and think its a tragedy that instead he's scrabbling around the lower leagues for a contract before the age of 30.

I wish him well, and am sure he's not the bad guy the papers portray him as, but please let's not make excuses for him. He could and should have achieved so much more.

:top marks

silverhibee
22-07-2012, 04:14 PM

Sorry, but i don't believe what the poster is saying about DR.

Where'sWallace when i need him. .net poster if you are wondering. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
22-07-2012, 04:17 PM
It depends who is playing left back for me. If we have a solid defensive left back who doesn't get forward rhen I would take him back as his skill and ability are without doubt.

If we were to have an overlapping full back who needed covered then I wouldn't be massively keen.

Boy is a legend though.

jacomo
22-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Sorry, but i don't believe what the poster is saying about DR.

Where'sWallace when i need him. .net poster if you are wondering. :greengrin

I was talking in general rather than any specific incident, m'lud.

Part/Time Supporter
24-07-2012, 08:07 PM
http://www.mk-news.co.uk/Sport/MK-Dons/Riordan-leaves-Dons-camp-in-Ireland-but-could-return-24072012.htm

Riordan leaves Dons camp in Ireland but could return

Derek Riordan has left the Dons camp in the Republic of Ireland after struggling with his fitness.

The former Celtic and Hibs striker has been on trial with the club but played no part in last night's friendly against St James' Gate.

A deal now looks to be a long way off but MK SPORT understands that Riordan could return for Saturday's friendly against Kettering.

Fellow on trial strikers Deon Burton and Juanfri have remained with the team in Ireland and should play a part against Whitehall Rangers tomorrow, and in a behind closed doors game on Thursday.

Judas Iscariot
24-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Give him a call please Pat..

We could do with a talent like Mr Riordan at our club right now :aok:

Thecat23
24-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Yeah let's get him back, he's not fit... Who cares. Been there twice already.. Who cares. We will still be banging on about him when he's 60.. Again but who cares, he was amazing once!!!!

No ta

The_Horde
24-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah let's get him back, he's not fit... Who cares. Been there twice already.. Who cares. We will still be banging on about him when he's 60.. Again but who cares, he was amazing once!!!!

No ta

Hibs need goals, deek scores goals.

500miles
24-07-2012, 09:38 PM
;3304039']Hibs need goals, deek scores goals.

When did he last score a goal?

Thecat23
24-07-2012, 09:45 PM
;3304039']Hibs need goals, deek scores goals.

Many did he score at St. J? He's past his best not by a little but miles. Folk wanting deek back at ER really worries me. Guess what there are players in fact hundreds out there to choose from. Lower leagues who are more hungry and prob won't want as much. I'd rather give them a go than bring a has been back.

marinello59
24-07-2012, 09:46 PM

Definitely one of my favourite players first time round with us, still right up there the second time. Time to move on though. St Johnstone should have been a decent fit for him and it didn't work out there, I really wish it had. If it was any other player being punted by St Johnstone or failing to win another contract after trials elsewhere would anybody here be screaming for him to come back? If Pat Fenlon thinks he still has it then great, otherwise he would be better building his own side without sentiment for a blast from the past.

The_Horde
24-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Many did he score at St. J? He's past his best not by a little but miles. Folk wanting deek back at ER really worries me. Guess what there are players in fact hundreds out there to choose from. Lower leagues who are more hungry and prob won't want as much. I'd rather give them a go than bring a has been back.

Not getting into this debate, I've seen where they end up.. i like deek.. you obviously don't. End of?

Wotherspiniesta
24-07-2012, 10:09 PM
We've got out very own Derek Riordan in Leigh Griffiths.

Hibby, loves the club, hated by the media but a talent on the pitch.

Don't bother calling him Pat. He's a club legend here but in general he ****ed up his career with his off field antics.

silverhibee
24-07-2012, 10:12 PM
;3304056']Not getting into this debate, I've seen where they end up.. i like deek.. you obviously don't. End of?

Another page and it will be closed. :agree:

silverhibee
24-07-2012, 10:26 PM
When did he last score a goal?

It was when he was in China.

How long did Torres go without scoring a goal for Chelsea.

silverhibee
24-07-2012, 10:28 PM

See it's started already. :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
24-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Here we go again.

Derek Riordan scored 104 goals, that's highly impressive. What he may or may not have done with his career if he'd done things slightly differently is all subjective.

Personally I think it would be better for both parties if Derek didn't come back to Hibs but I.wouldn't exactly be upset if he does.

Some people really should show a bit more respect for a guy who contributed plenty when he was here, it will be a long time before any other players matches Dereks goalscoring record at Hibs and people should remember that before calling him a 'waster' or whatever else.

berty_mee
24-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Riordan must regret the decisions he's made in life which have inevitably messed up a very promising career. Being in my 20s he's been the most prolific striker I've ever watched at ER, he is a legend but his Hibs career is now over and there's no way Fenlon would even consider bringing him back after what he's said about the type of players he wants at the club! 104 goals speaks for itself, cheers for the memories Deeks and aw the best.

The Modfather
24-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Why is he "struggling with his fitness"? I'd have thought he'd have got himself in peak condition if he is looking for a club. He could then work on his match fitness like everyone else.

Sounds like nothing will ever change. Such a shame he is all but retired these days.

SteveHFC
24-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Hopefully Deek signs for MK dons and grabs a few goals for them :aok:

500miles
24-07-2012, 11:19 PM

If I ever need to define the term "clutching at straws", I will demonstrate it's application with the above reply.

He's scored 4 goals in the last 18 months. And now, he's not even fit enough to do preseason training. He's finished.

Hibspirational
24-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Riordan must regret the decisions he's made in life which have inevitably messed up a very promising career. Being in my 20s he's been the most prolific striker I've ever watched at ER, he is a legend but his Hibs career is now over and there's no way Fenlon would even consider bringing him back after what he's said about the type of players he wants at the club! 104 goals speaks for itself, cheers for the memories Deeks and aw the best.

My thoughts exactly (sadly), and I'm in my late 20s.

chrisski33
24-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Here we go again.

Derek Riordan scored 104 goals, that's highly impressive. What he may or may not have done with his career if he'd done things slightly differently is all subjective.

Personally I think it would be better for both parties if Derek didn't come back to Hibs but I.wouldn't exactly be upset if he does.

Some people really should show a bit more respect for a guy who contributed plenty when he was here, it will be a long time before any other players matches Dereks goalscoring record at Hibs and people should remember that before calling him a 'waster' or whatever else.

Wouldnt say hes a waster but hes wasted his career. Do you think he showed much respect for hibs when he went to celtic for nowt?

marinello59
25-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Wouldnt say hes a waster but hes wasted his career. Do you think he showed much respect for hibs when he went to celtic for nowt?

A Pro football player moving on at he end of his contract? Where was the lack of respect for Hibs? I can't see it.

Beefster
25-07-2012, 06:29 AM

Torres wasn't scoring goals and was still being selected for teams that went onto win the Champions League and European Championships. Riordan is scrambling about trying to win contracts at pretty small clubs, seemingly not fit enough to complete trials. There's no comparison.

Riordan is a Hibs legend. So is Franck Sauzee and Lawrie Reilly. The one thing they've all got in common these days is that their time at Hibs has gone.

Thecat23
25-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Torres wasn't scoring goals and was still being selected for teams that went onto win the Champions League and European Championships. Riordan is scrambling about trying to win contracts at pretty small clubs, seemingly not fit enough to complete trials. There's no comparison.

Riordan is a Hibs legend. So is Franck Sauzee and Lawrie Reilly. The one thing they've all got in common these days is that their time at Hibs has gone.

Spot on! I honestly have nothing against Derek, loved watching him as a player in his first spell. But he's past it simple as that. He will still go down as one of Hibs greatest goalscorers in recent times. But some folk just because it's Deeks we can't actually tell the truth and say he's know where near good enough.

Thecat23
25-07-2012, 07:14 AM
;3304056']Not getting into this debate, I've seen where they end up.. i like deek.. you obviously don't. End of?

I never said I don't like him I said I don't want him near ER. For me Hibs can do better. Derek was in his day a great player. Now he's not even a shadow of the player who was with us first time around.

Thecat23
25-07-2012, 07:17 AM
See it's started already. :rolleyes:

Silver I know you will defend Derek at all costs and fair play as he's family. I'm just saying he's defo past his best and both Hibs and Derek should be looking at other options. As said in my other post he was a terrific player in his day but that's long gone now. Hope he gets a club but I also hope it's not Hibs.

Pretty Boy
25-07-2012, 08:06 AM

First of all he didn't move for nothing, Hibs got a nominal fee.

Secondly since the Bosman ruling players are perfectly entitled to do as they please at the end of their contract.

Thirdly if what I heard was correct just before Tony Mowbray arrived there was a contract offer on the table that Riordan was ready to sign. Despite him being our top scorer the previous 2 seasons Mowbray took the offer from the table until he had watched Derek play, when contract talks were re-opened Derek and his agents were aware their were better offers going to be available at bigger clubs. I liked Tony Mowbray but that decision was baffling if its true.

Beefster
25-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Secondly since the Bosman ruling players are perfectly entitled to do as they please at the end of their contract.

Thirdly if what I heard was correct just before Tony Mowbray arrived there was a contract offer on the table that Riordan was ready to sign. Despite him being our top scorer the previous 2 seasons Mowbray took the offer from the table until he had watched Derek play, when contract talks were re-opened Derek and his agents were aware their were better offers going to be available at bigger clubs. I liked Tony Mowbray but that decision was baffling if its true.

And it all went Pete Tong from then on in. Maybe the moral of the story is to not always chase the cash?

Hibs On Tour
25-07-2012, 10:53 AM

And when the offer was put back on the table Riordan was willing to sign but wanted it backdated to when he would have signed it originally had it not been taken off the table.

Crazy to think we ended up losing such a good player for what was ultimately such a small difference in positions between the two parties.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Thank you Derek, for all the joy you gave me over the years. Some of my best times watching Hibs, are with you in the team. All the best bud. :thumbsup:

snooky
25-07-2012, 04:56 PM

I didn't.

spike220
26-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Deeks is on trial with MK Dons, but due to lack of fitness and conditioning looks like he will be punted.

steakbake
26-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Did well for us, scored a bucket load of goals. Has he achieved his potential? Probably not. I think the Celtic move stalled his career.

I'll be interested to see where his next club is. Sounds like he's struggling to get a deal but I don't think it's now up to Hibs to offer anything. He's had his time - twice. I would think we could use the budget more wisely than what would be a nostalgia signing and a gamble. There must be reasons why his services are not needed by St J and MK Dons.

It was great while it lasted.

Steve-O
27-07-2012, 08:09 AM
I didn't.

:confused:

marinello59
27-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Did well for us, scored a bucket load of goals. Has he achieved his potential? Probably not. I think the Celtic move stalled his career.

I'll be interested to see where his next club is. Sounds like he's struggling to get a deal but I don't think it's now up to Hibs to offer anything. He's had his time - twice. I would think we could use the budget more wisely than what would be a nostalgia signing and a gamble. There must be reasons why his services are not needed by St J and MK Dons.

It was great while it lasted.

Perhaps he did. A first class SPL striker who proved it over several seasons at Hibs. That isn't failure. Did he ( or does he) have it in him to be a success down in the Premiership? I suspect not but we will never know for sure.

Andy74
27-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Perhaps he did. A first class SPL striker who proved it over several seasons at Hibs. That isn't failure. Did he ( or does he) have it in him to be a success down in the Premiership? I suspect not but we will never know for sure.

If he can't keep himself fit whilst looking for work at what should be the peak of his career then no, he hasn't achieved what he could have done with his ability.

No way he'd survive in the EPL and his current struggles show why.

Steve-O
27-07-2012, 10:12 AM
WTF is Deek up to, honestly? Can't even find a club FFS? Surely if he pulled his finger out instead of playing his Xbox or playing Hide and Seek with Edinburgh nightclub bouncers he could even get a deal at Sevco?! :confused:

jimmy-adjovi
27-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I would take riordan back in a heartbeat. We don't have anyone in the side that comes close in terms of quality. Always capable of finding something from nothing. If we can afford it we should do it

Phil MaGlass
27-07-2012, 11:21 AM
WTF is Deek up to, honestly? Can't even find a club FFS? Surely if he pulled his finger out instead of playing his Xbox or playing Hide and Seek with Edinburgh nightclub bouncers he could even get a deal at Sevco?! :confused:

No he couldnae, Robbie Savage and paul Gascoigne are probably more fitter than him the noo.Sad state of affairs when a lad still has plenty years ahead of him and hasnae even found a club or near fit enough.

Steve-O
27-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I would take riordan back in a heartbeat. We don't have anyone in the side that comes close in terms of quality. Always capable of finding something from nothing. If we can afford it we should do it

Oh, I'm not sure we could match his current wage...:rolleyes:

Phil MaGlass
27-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Or his current appetite

happiehibbie
27-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I would welcome any striker who had scored more than a hundred goals in the SPL

Beefster
27-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I would welcome any striker who had scored more than a hundred goals in the SPL

Riordan hasn't scored 100 SPL goals, I don't think.

steakbake
27-07-2012, 02:23 PM

I don't know. It was an honest question. He had a number of offers from various teams including some on the mainland.

sixtwo
27-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Deeks is far better than anything we have now. Seriously, who would you rather have Doyle or riordan?

Willis1875
27-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Deeks is far better than anything we have now. Seriously, who would you rather have Doyle or riordan?

Tell him to use the next month to get himself fit then yes I would happily have him back but as it stands just now clubs apparently turning him away because he is nowhere near fit,so why should Hibs take the risk,we always seem to be that club.

LeighLoyal
27-07-2012, 03:01 PM

Would be a good luxury to have but with money tight I think a central midfielder is more apt.

Andy74
27-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Is or was is the key question.

Doyle currently has a contract with an SPL team. Derek seems to be struggling to convince anyone he deserves the same.

tooley
27-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Is or was is the key question.

Doyle currently has a contract with an SPL team. Derek seems to be struggling to convince anyone he deserves the same.

Doyle couldn't lace Derek Riordans boots, without taking sides anyone who says otherwise is seeing something I'm not???
Derek is one of the few players that can do nothing for 85 minutes and then with one bit of magic turn a game on its head!

I for one would love to see Deek back at Easter road

marinello59
27-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Doyle couldn't lace Derek Riordans boots, without taking sides anyone who says otherwise is seeing something I'm not???
Derek is one of the few players that can do nothing for 85 minutes and then with one bit of magic turn a game on its head!

I disagree. Basic hand to eye co-ordination. Anybody could do it.

SouthamptonHibs
27-07-2012, 11:39 PM
I disagree. Basic hand to eye co-ordination. Anybody could do it.

I would love Deeks back at ER. Better than what we have currently. last year we hunted Garry O out and he scored double figures......Messi would get punted wi the midfield we have....Deek if ur watching come home theres talk fi the hibs.net that Stephens should play up front haha ps gee the lad a chance....

steviehibsleith
28-07-2012, 11:59 AM

No doubting he can do the spectacular with either foot as all hibs fans know but the issue is what you yourself has said - do nothing for 85 minutes . Im sorry but that is unacceptable as many games before he left there was little contribution we are down and yes he then scores a fantasic goal but means nothing apart from his personnel stats as in goalscoring looks great.

I dont just look at stats to judge a player, watching a whole game and seeing total contribution means more than a 1 goal 0 tackles and 9 touches all game.

A fit Derek Riordan willing to work would walk into Hibs unfortunately he isnt fit and that is a problem.

Baldy Foghorn
28-07-2012, 06:12 PM
I would love Deeks back at ER. Better than what we have currently. last year we hunted Garry O out and he scored double figures......Messi would get punted wi the midfield we have....Deek if ur watching come home theres talk fi the hibs.net that Stephens should play up front haha ps gee the lad a chance....

Nonsense, did you not see how unfit GOC became around November...He started off great, but really became pretty much a liability....Nobody hounded him out, his off the field antics caught up with him, and he could only blame himself for that....

East Coast Hibe
28-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Seen Deeks in the stand today !

SouthMoroccoStu
28-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Yeah, saw him outside the west before kick off.

I wonder.......:wink:

J-C
28-07-2012, 08:01 PM

The lad should be on a pitch showing his undoubted skill instead of watching from a stand, hope he gets it together soon and a club picks him up.

SouthMoroccoStu
28-07-2012, 08:05 PM
The lad should be on a pitch showing his undoubted skill instead of watching from a stand, hope he gets it together soon and Our club picks him up.

Fixed it for you

Duck and hide :wink:

The Modfather
28-07-2012, 08:21 PM
What has Riordan done the last 2-3 years to suggest he can still contribute nowadays? He is unemployed but can't even get himself fit for a trial. I thought we were serious about changing the culture at Hibs, or do we just turn a blind eye for certain players?

We've seen how signing Sproule out of sentimentality has turned out.

SouthMoroccoStu
28-07-2012, 08:36 PM
What has Riordan done the last 2-3 years to suggest he can still contribute nowadays? He is unemployed but can't even get himself fit for a trial. I thought we were serious about changing the culture at Hibs, or do we just turn a blind eye for certain players?

We've seen how signing Sproule out of sentimentality has turned out.

Of topic but I thought Ivan played well today and took his goal very well.

I think we've seen a few players improve to seek their potential under Pat.

Could Deeks be another example?

S4uzee
28-07-2012, 08:58 PM

Unfotunately with Ivan you know its a lucky hit as that normally goes nearer the corner flag :agree:

sesoim
29-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Questionable personality, questionable attititude, but if we are seriously heading into the new season with only one half decent striker above school age, I'd take Riordan back in a flash.

VickMackie
29-07-2012, 08:27 AM
I'd take him on an average player wage but not one of the top earners.

LancsHibs
29-07-2012, 09:10 AM
I'd take him on an average player wage but not one of the top earners.

Would take him on more of a pay as you play deal, therefore no risk to Hibs, if he doesn't get fit costs us zip:agree:

Rossco1875
29-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I dont know what Riordan has on the table from clubs but I dont think there would be any harm in the club offering him a deal that would suit us a peanuts basic wage with a good goal bonus for a year.

Scouse Hibee
29-07-2012, 07:50 PM

I'll give you took his goal well.

eastmainsmsh
29-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Riordan and Griffiths that would be a decent strike force would be ideal :aok:

marinello59
29-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I dont know what Riordan has on the table from clubs but I dont think there would be any harm in the club offering him a deal that would suit us a peanuts basic wage with a good goal bonus for a year.

And on another thread people are moaning about us possibly signing two players that nobody else wants.:greengrin

jacomo
29-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Would take him on more of a pay as you play deal, therefore no risk to Hibs, if he doesn't get fit costs us zip:agree:

I would love to think this would happen, and he'd get fit, sharp and force his way into the team.

Sadly I don't think it's likely, mind.

Phil MaGlass
30-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Are you seriously saying we should be gambling with money we cant afford and signing an unfit, lazy player, nobody else wants??

Rossco1875
30-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Thats why in my post I sayed offer him a deal that suits Hibs as it doesnt look like he has much else on offer (maybe he does) peanuts are better than nothing per week.:wink:

.Sean.
30-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Pretty sad in all honesty he's without a club at this stage of his career.

Aldo
30-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Pretty sad in all honesty he's without a club at this stage of his career.

This. But let's face it Sean, there is only one person to blame for this. Undoubted talent but has let himself go.