PDA

View Full Version : Change in drinking laws?

Ship Hibs
02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Whats the chance of a change in the drinking laws at football now theres no more Rangers. Since it was cos of them the laws got brought in in the first place it seems like a perfect time to bring back drinking at the game now they're no longer here. At least maybe a trial for a few months to see if it adds much more trouble. Could quite easily make up a lot of the cash that we miss out on by not having them.

Saorsa
02-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Whats the chance of a change in the drinking laws at football now theres no more Rangers. Since it was cos of them the laws got brought in in the first place it seems like a perfect time to bring back drinking at the game now they're no longer here. At least maybe a trial for a few months to see if it adds much more trouble. Could quite easily make up a lot of the cash that we miss out on by not having them.Little or none, with the gestapo, sorry polis and the big brother attitude that exists in this country. They got rid of it and there's nae danger they'll allow it back.

Other than that if I ever get tae the stage were I cannae manage for 90 minutes with out a drink I think I'd give it up altogether.

c31
02-07-2012, 08:01 PM
funnily enough we were discussing this at the weekend, all games can be licensed and if any clubs step out of line they lose it, another revenue to make up for lost monies as well.

Hibercelona
02-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Whats the chance of a change in the drinking laws at football now theres no more Rangers. Since it was cos of them the laws got brought in in the first place it seems like a perfect time to bring back drinking at the game now they're no longer here. At least maybe a trial for a few months to see if it adds much more trouble. Could quite easily make up a lot of the cash that we miss out on by not having them.

No chance of it happening.

Besides, anybody that can't go 90 minutes without a drink has a problem. :greengrin

Baba O'riley
02-07-2012, 08:06 PM

I hpoe not. Where I had my season ticket in west upper, there wasn't usually an issue with folk that had too much to drink, but Scotland games are a nightmare. Fed up with folk strolling in drunk after kick off, can't find there seats, back out of seats 10 mins later to get food, back in, out again to go to the toilet.....last thing we need is folk going back and forward from the bar as well. I know folk will say it works in English grounds, and having been to a couple of premiership games, it doesn't seem to be an issue. But generally (and I know not everyone will be the same and it is unfair to tarnish everyone with the same brush), until we get our national "drinking to get steaming" culture abolished, then there's no room for drink at football grounds. It's not right for kids to see their parents steaming week in week out at football grounds. I don't want to be sitting next to someone who smells like a brewery either.
I think Scotland is a long way off before we can even think about bringing alcohol back into grounds, and it is just folk having the one pint whilst watching the game

lord bunberry
02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I hpoe not. Where I had my season ticket in west upper, there wasn't usually an issue with folk that had too much to drink, but Scotland games are a nightmare. Fed up with folk strolling in drunk after kick off, can't find there seats, back out of seats 10 mins later to get food, back in, out again to go to the toilet.....last thing we need is folk going back and forward from the bar as well. I know folk will say it works in English grounds, and having been to a couple of premiership games, it doesn't seem to be an issue. But generally (and I know not everyone will be the same and it is unfair to tarnish everyone with the same brush), until we get our national "drinking to get steaming" culture abolished, then there's no room for drink at football grounds. It's not right for kids to see their parents steaming week in week out at football grounds. I don't want to be sitting next to someone who smells like a brewery either.
I think Scotland is a long way off before we can even think about bringing alcohol back into grounds, and it is just folk having the one pint whilst watching the game

I disagree where's the problem with there being a bar in the stands that you can have a drink in up until 15 minutes before kick off it would stop everyone turning up late. There is already a bar in the famous five. I don't think anyone is suggesting that you can drink while the game is on that's not how they work it down south its only before the game and at half time

Baba O'riley
02-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I disagree where's the problem with there being a bar in the stands that you can have a drink in up until 15 minutes before kick off it would stop everyone turning up late. There is already a bar in the famous five. I don't think anyone is suggesting that you can drink while the game is on that's not how they work it down south its only before the game and at half time

I know that people aren't going to be drinking during the game; but it's the combination of continually being interrupted during a game as folk get up and down and fall over you as they traipse back and forward to the toilet. Never had an issue with this whilst I had my season ticket at ER, because the people who sat in my row are only there for the football. At Hampden, it's a nightmare. Maybe it's more Scotland fans who have the bad drinking culture than Hibs fans, but until Scotland as a nation curbs its "binge drinking culture", I'd rather keep alcohol out the grounds.
The game is over within 2 hours, I don't think that should be too long to go without a drink.

Hibercelona
02-07-2012, 08:38 PM
I know that people aren't going to be drinking during the game; but it's the combination of continually being interrupted during a game as folk get up and down and fall over you as they traipse back and forward to the toilet. Never had an issue with this whilst I had my season ticket at ER, because the people who sat in my row are only there for the football. At Hampden, it's a nightmare. Maybe it's more Scotland fans who have the bad drinking culture than Hibs fans, but until Scotland as a nation curbs its "binge drinking culture", I'd rather keep alcohol out the grounds.
The game is over within 2 hours, I don't think that should be too long to go without a drink.

Its not only lager that makes people need to urinate. :wink:

People can easily grab a cup of Coca Cola at half time and need a nish during the second half. :greengrin

Besides, I don't think 1 plastic cup of lager is going to make all the difference if people are already all lashed up before the game anyway.

Although, I don't really see the point of a half time drink anyway.

lord bunberry
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM

The point I'm trying to make is that having a bar in the ground wouldn't really change anything the only difference would be that we would have a pre match drink at er rather than in the pub. Fans are not going to drink extra they are just going to drink in a different place

iwasthere1972
02-07-2012, 09:32 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that having a bar in the ground wouldn't really change anything the only difference would be that we would have a pre match drink at er rather than in the pub. Fans are not going to drink extra they are just going to drink in a different place

Personally I would rather sit in a pub having a pre-match drink that stand in the concourse with no atmosphere. Besides I would have to last longer than 105 minutes or so without a :cb

lyonhibs
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM

Anyone at the Bolton pre-season friendly will testify that that is not the case.

.Sean.
02-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Anyone at the Bolton pre-season friendly will testify that that is not the case.

Correct.

But what a day...

Since90+2
03-07-2012, 05:49 AM

Think that was mainly due to the novelty factor and also it was our away support which tends to attract the more hardcore type :wink:

Dont think you would see anything like the rush for a bevvy in a home SPL game.

HH81
03-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Let's not forget that most beer sold in football grounds in england tastes rank. Not even worth the price.

It's no big deal not having a beer in any ground.

Bolton was class though.

DH1875
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
If your that desperate for a drink, sneak in a wee quarter bottle, go buy a coke and then take the lid of the coke. Empty the contents of the quarter bottle into the coke, put the lid back on it, sit on your **** and no-one around about you is any wiser. It's no brain surgery :wink:.

lyonhibs
03-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Think that was mainly due to the novelty factor and also it was our away support which tends to attract the more hardcore type :wink:

Dont think you would see anything like the rush for a bevvy in a home SPL game.

This is Hibs we support remember??

Last season, they would have had to hook up litre bottles of voddie on intravenous drips to deal with demand.

HibsMax
03-07-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't think it's a case of people being desperate for a drink or not being able to go 90 minutes without one. I don't think that we should allow alcohol to be sold at games JUST so people can get leathered. The idea is just to allow people to have a beer while they watch the game. How many of us drink a beer while watching a game at home on TV? Do you think I should wait until after the match is over before I pop open a brew? You can have a drink when you go to see a concert. Or when you go to see a theatrical production. Are the people who drink during those desperate?

Just don't sell beer to people who are obviously intoxicated. Limit each person to 2 beers at a time. Charge a high premium. Ensure there is adequate security to deal with loud mouths who feel they've been hard done by. I don't know what the figures are but I am sure clubs could make some profit from this. Not much given the crappy attendances but still a little extra.

When I go to an event I will usually have a beer or two. My intent is not to get blootered. I appreciate the same cannot be said for everyone but why not give it a try again and see what happens?

03-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Even without rangers, I highly doubt drink will ever be re-introduced into Scottish football grounds. Too many idiots that would take it too far and cause trouble. Look at the cup final for instance, there were idiots in the hibs end that had had too much to drink and were determined to pick fights and cause trouble. Too many young kids around these days and its not fair for them, and everyone else for that matter, to be around that.

It would be great to have drink in the ground if everyone was sensible about it but the reality is that some folk are not.

brog
03-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Just a couple of points;
1. Its a misconception that drinking was allowed in bars in football grounds in Scotland prior to the OF riot. From memory the only ground with a bar was Clydebank. Of course people carried in cans/bottles etc & drank all through the game. This was a major cause of the problems.
2. I find it ridiculous that football fans in Scotland can't enjoy a drink in the ground before & after the game, ( & at h/t ). Are we really saying that English fans are better behaved? Not from my personal experience of 32 years in London. Similarly, why should I be allowed a drink at Murrayfield when watching rugby but be denied one at ER when watching Hibs? Ludicrous really.
I've seen hundreds of games in England & never seen anyone getting drunk in the concourse bars. I'm sure Bolton was a novelty exception.
As the OP said this could be a source of income for SPL clubs.

Peevemor
03-07-2012, 02:28 PM
I like a pint as much as (or maybe more than) the next man. The first time I was at a match in England where there were bars under the stands (at the Stadium of Light IIRC) I had a beer at half time just because I could. On similar occassions since I simply haven't bothered.

I'd have to have a real drouth to go to the hassle of waiting in a queue then quickly gubbing an overpriced, lukewarm pint while standing next to the bogs.

Scouse Hibee
03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I'll stick to the can of lager I have at half time every home game with no problems at all! It washes down my sandwich from Greggs nicely.

Keith_M
03-07-2012, 05:09 PM
They allow drinking Beer at stadia in Germany. While German beer is usually really good, the beer in the stadia is watered down horses p*ss.

Don't get too excited about being allowed to drink Beer at a match in Scotland because you'd just get the same.

PferdPinkel, the Beer for REAL Footy Fans :wink: