PDA

View Full Version : O'Connor sentenced

number9dream
29-06-2012, 02:04 PM
G O'C to serve 200 hours community service within next six months...

Does that make it more or less likely that he'll be back at Easter Road?

BEEJ
29-06-2012, 02:13 PM

You mean as part of his sentence?

Mango Man
29-06-2012, 02:16 PM
You mean as part of his sentence?

:greengrin

ScottB
29-06-2012, 02:18 PM

He can pick up rubbish after the games.

Franck Stanton
29-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Only to be expected, he has no previous convictions, the offence, whilst many will think is serious, at the end of the day wasn't that bad, [ before you all get on your high horse, compere it to serious offences - murder/rape/child molesting etc etc, then it isn't bad at all], after all it was only himself he was harming and he certainly doesn't have to commit crime to feed his recreational use now does he? Still doesn't make what he did right, but imo the sentence given fitted the crime. Been a silly laddie, but hey, haven't we all at one time or another ? Time to move on I think.

Hibernia Na Eir
29-06-2012, 02:32 PM
let some other club put their shoulder round him this time.

Greentinted
29-06-2012, 02:53 PM
http://www.forthone.com/news/local/oconnor-dodges-jail-over-cocaine-charge/#.T-2_18Nh50I.twitter

Lets hope it's a turning point for the man. He's been judged (although not by 'god' :greengrin), time for him to take stock. He could very well have been sent down so he should approach his sentence with good grace and move on.

It may very well be the making of him in the long term.

silverhibee
29-06-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/garry-o-connor-sentended-to-community-service-over-drug-possession-1-2384464

silverhibee
29-06-2012, 02:56 PM
How can he leave the country and maybe play in Moscow and do his Community Service at the same time. :confused:

silverhibee
29-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Only to be expected, he has no previous convictions, the offence, whilst many will think is serious, at the end of the day wasn't that bad, [ before you all get on your high horse, compere it to serious offences - murder/rape/child molesting etc etc, then it isn't bad at all], after all it was only himself he was harming and he certainly doesn't have to commit crime to feed his recreational use now does he? Still doesn't make what he did right, but imo the sentence given fitted the crime. Been a silly laddie, but hey, haven't we all at one time or another ? Time to move on I think.

A half ounce of coke, he is very lucky he is not in the pokey tonight.

If that was for himself then that's some habit he has.

RIP
29-06-2012, 03:03 PM
The judge is an old friend of Tom Farmer. Rod reckoned if he could get the judge to sentence Gaz to community service, he could do 4 hours per week with the Community Foundation over the next year. This would prevent him leaving the country. Gaz was probably hoping for a large fine or a 3 month sentence. Now he may be required to stay local

There's always the Yams I guess :devil:

essexhibee
29-06-2012, 03:04 PM

What's a "silly laddy"? If that is someone who takes drugs, runs from the police, tries to defraud an insurance company then I doubt many of us have been a "silly laddy".

Another example of someone pissing away a rare talent and gift.

LeighLoyal
29-06-2012, 03:11 PM
He needs the exercise the fat Charlie lover.

--------
29-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Does this mean he may be back at ER next season?

woodythehibee
29-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Does this mean he may be back at ER next season?

From what I know, there is zero chance of this. He has various offers on the table and will decide shortly I believe.

--------
29-06-2012, 03:51 PM
From what I know, there is zero chance of this. He has various offers on the table and will decide shortly I believe.

So STF and RP keep him out of pokey, and he bunks off to play for someone else ....

:hmmm:

Jim44
29-06-2012, 04:28 PM

..................... it'll make a change from playing rubbish during the games.

Hibbyradge
29-06-2012, 05:03 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18644100

VickMackie
29-06-2012, 05:31 PM

Or during it!

Coco Bryce
29-06-2012, 05:40 PM
So STF and RP keep him out of pokey, and he bunks off to play for someone else ....

Are STF & RP lawyers?

HibsMax
29-06-2012, 05:48 PM
What's a "silly laddy"? If that is someone who takes drugs, runs from the police, tries to defraud an insurance company then I doubt many of us have been a "silly laddy".

Another example of someone pissing away a rare talent and gift.

I don't think this sentence has anything to do with the fraud charges. Drug possession, for personal use, will always inspire lively debate. :)

VickMackie
29-06-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't think this sentence has anything to do with the fraud charges. Drug possession, for personal use, will always inspire lively debate. :)

Haha you're not wrong ;)

silverhibee
29-06-2012, 06:27 PM

It was a half ounce of the stuff he got caught with Max, most folk would go to jail for that so Gaz has been a very lucky guy,we are not talking about enough for a couple of lines, why would he have that amount out with him or is that just the norm for a night out, and how much was in the bag at the start of the night.

That is a scary amount for personal use for anyone never mind a football player.

Not so long ago people were getting years in prison for that amount.

Coco Bryce
29-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Personnal use my hairy hole!

.Sean.
29-06-2012, 08:09 PM
A £460 dunt of coke is an outrageous amount if that's for 'personal use', it would be about the size of a Golf ball in your pocket. He's very lucky that he's not found himself with a Prison sentance.

judas
29-06-2012, 08:11 PM

He was a part of the biggest disgrace ever to befall our club. Shame he never got banged up.

ancient hibee
29-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Sentence not to be sniffed at.

VickMackie
29-06-2012, 08:33 PM
If you're a hard core fryer a half o isn't much. Just sayin!

jdships
29-06-2012, 09:33 PM

As far as I have heard today he was ' advised to look for another club ' a few weeks ago.
Obviously where he goes hinges on the terms of his Community Service requirements .
:loser:

Hibercelona
30-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't want him anywhere near the club.

iwasthere1972
30-06-2012, 10:18 AM
I need my hedge and lawn cut. I would even boo him when he was doing it if he didn't do a good job.

silverhibee
30-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I need my hedge and lawn cut. I would even boo him when he was doing it if he didn't do a good job.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo

--------
30-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Are STF & RP lawyers?

According to Gogs, STF knew the judge ....

I believe everything I read on these forums, mate. :doh:

Golden Bear
30-06-2012, 11:29 AM
According to Gogs, STF knew the judge ....

I believe everything I read on these forums, mate. :doh:

And so you should!

:greengrin

Kato
30-06-2012, 04:42 PM
after all it was only himself he was harming

What a naïve outlook. Try telling that to the decimated communities caught up in the drugs war in Columbia.

Iggy Pope
30-06-2012, 04:46 PM
What a naïve outlook. Try telling that to the decimated communities caught up in the drugs war in Columbia.

Good grief. Hell in a handcart!

Sunny1875
30-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Aye there's space in the stands , hope he pays at the gate

Kato
30-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Good grief. Hell in a handcart!

Sumffin' wrong?

Nuitdelune
30-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Self righteousness is very unattractive

hibsbollah
30-06-2012, 08:35 PM

If thats because hes a cocaine user, consider this; Hes almost certainly not the only one in our dressing room. 7% of young people in the UK regularly use cocaine, and you can almost certainly double that figure for those in the earning bracket of a professional footballer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8544648.stm

Its an epidemic, and a normal thing for a lot of young folk these days. The only thing that marks Garry out is the jawdropping stupidity that resulted in him getting caught.

30-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Me neither. The guy has issues and has made the headlines too many times for all the wrong reasons. We gave him a chance to restart his career with us but his antics after the cup final was just him spitting on hibs and us fans, complete lack of respect.

Shame though, could have had a very successful career here or down in England but was too easily led and his stupidity, when combined with money and fame resulted in him throwing it all away.

--------
30-06-2012, 11:21 PM

Pulitzer Prize for the most profound analysis of the South American drugs market?

As the Bolivians might say, "La coca no es la cocaine". :cb

--------
30-06-2012, 11:26 PM
If thats because hes a cocaine user, consider this; Hes almost certainly not the only one in our dressing room. 7% of young people in the UK regularly use cocaine, and you can almost certainly double that figure for those in the earning bracket of a professional footballer.

Its an epidemic, and a normal thing for a lot of young folk these days. The only thing that marks Garry out is the jawdropping stupidity that resulted in him getting caught.

I take your point, bollah.

But I think jawdropping stupidity is a perfectly good reason for not wanting him anywhere around the place either?

He's a plook. If he had his head straight, he'd be a real asset, but his head isn't straight, and PF and RP have more urgent matters to consider than what the next red-top headline about him will be, and how exactly they'e going to deal with it.

JohnStephens91
01-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Got off lightly, hopefully his career picks up again elsewhere. Thanks for the good memories, but let them remain good memories that are not further tarnished by your reputation at the club.

hibsbollah
01-07-2012, 04:38 AM
I take your point, bollah.

But I think jawdropping stupidity is a perfectly good reason for not wanting him anywhere around the place either?

He's a plook. If he had his head straight, he'd be a real asset, but his head isn't straight, and PF and RP have more urgent matters to consider than what the next red-top headline about him will be, and how exactly they'e going to deal with it.

You're right of course, and im not sure id have kept him at the club anymore either.

lucky
01-07-2012, 06:51 AM
It's time for him and Hibs both to move on. He's done well in the past but time catches everyone. Not sure who's career has failed the most his or Deeks

silverhibee
01-07-2012, 01:56 PM
It's time for him and Hibs both to move on. He's done well in the past but time catches everyone. Not sure who's career has failed the most his or Deeks

Hibs front two for the start of the season. :cb :idea:

HibbyAndy
01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Ad take um back.

The Green Goblin
01-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Hibs front two for the start of the season. :cb :idea:

Behave! :-)

Hibercelona
01-07-2012, 02:49 PM

I understand that, but its hardly a justification.

I wouldn't want any cocaine users at our club and the club should be taking as many measures as possible to prevent us from signing these wasters.

Northernhibee
01-07-2012, 08:18 PM
We really can't take him back now, especially given his behaviour after the final.

Hope he gets himself back on track elsewhere, but we need a new attitude in the dressing room.

Iceman1875
01-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I'd take riordan back but not o'connor

01-07-2012, 08:27 PM
I understand that, but its hardly a justification.

I wouldn't want any cocaine users at our club and the club should be taking as many measures as possible to prevent us from signing these wasters.

:agree: Just because its a common thing doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Garry is not a young laddie anymore. When he was younger, yes it maybe could have been seen as him being young, naive and thinking he was the big shot because he was playing professional football and was earning a fair bit of money but he's an adult now and by now he should have grown out of this and realised that he needs to get his act together now not only for the sake of his career but for his young kids.

Sir David Gray
01-07-2012, 08:28 PM
There's no way he'll be back at Easter Road next season after that sentence.

scoopyboy
01-07-2012, 08:32 PM
There's no way he'll be back at Easter Road next season after that sentence.

More chance than if he had got custodial.

Hibs knew he was guilty before he got his contract last summer.

Sir David Gray
01-07-2012, 08:43 PM
More chance than if he had got custodial.

Hibs knew he was guilty before he got his contract last summer.

True, think we should be making a completely clean break from last season though and as few players that played in THAT match should be playing on the opening day of the new season as possible.

His alleged behaviour on the night of the cup final also left a lot to be desired.

scoopyboy
01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
True, think we should be making a completely clean break from last season though and as few players that played in THAT match should be playing on the opening day of the new season as possible.

His alleged behaviour on the night of the cup final also left a lot to be desired.

I honestly don't know what happened on the night of the final so can't comment.

I don't know if I would take him back or not, sometimes I think aye sometimes naw.

I would say the longer he goes without signing for someone and the longer we go without signing a big, stong forward then the greater chance he could sign again.

hibsbollah
01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
:agree: Just because its a common thing doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Garry is not a young laddie anymore. When he was younger, yes it maybe could have been seen as him being young, naive and thinking he was the big shot because he was playing professional football and was earning a fair bit of money but he's an adult now and by now he should have grown out of this and realised that he needs to get his act together now not only for the sake of his career but for his young kids.

So by that rationale if a 'young laddie' like Smith or Stanton was caught with some coke then we should go easier on him?

Im not on the windup, its a genuine question. Im not sure we're consistent about what we judge the players on and how we judge them. To me, the whole 'my name is johnstone, J-O-S' shows what kind of mindset we're dealing with. But as scoopy says, the club knew all this detail when they signed him. And he was the leagues top scorer just before xmas and was a one man team IIRC. Hes no role model, but he probably earned us 9points on his own to keep us above the Pars.

01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
So by that rationale if a 'young laddie' like Smith or Stanton was caught with some coke then we should go easier on him?

Im not on the windup, its a genuine question. Im not sure we're consistent about what we judge the players on and how we judge them. To me, the whole 'my name is johnstone, J-O-S' shows what kind of mindset we're dealing with. But as scoopy says, the club knew all this detail when they signed him. And he was the leagues top scorer just before xmas and was a one man team IIRC. Hes no role model, but he probably earned us 9points on his own to keep us above the Pars.

Im not trying to say that just because someone is a youngster that drugs is acceptable, all i'm saying is that O'Conner hasn't grown up or matured at all. All i'm saying is that as a young boy he was obviously stupid, naive and got led astray, he also was earning a lot of money so obviously thought he was quite a big shot and properly wanted to try and show off. He is now older, got a young family and should be at the peak of his career more or less, yet this still hasn't made him change his ways which shows he has problems, problems that we don't want to have to deal with so I dont want him at this club.

flash
01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
15 goals when carrying an injury and with a court case hanging over him.
And some of us want Sutton or Kyle?

Gies peace.

Kato
04-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Self righteousness is very unattractive

Not as unattractive as all those white crumbs hanging around someones nostrils can be.

I first noticed that GOC had a "problem" when I was promoting a night at Berlin nightclub around 2005 and watched as him and about 6-8 "mates" disappeared to the toilet every 25 minutes. The problem of course was the marching powder and his biggest problem with it seemed to be he was being sold rotten product as every 25 minutes is a clear signal that hardly any of what was going up his hooter was the real deal. I've been in, worked in and helped out in nightclubs all over the world - people take that stuff who work in the industry to stay awake, techies take it when they need that extra energy to work on those extra hours, some punters take it as they lack confidence so need it to open up and look "trendy" some punters take it because they are addicted and some take it for fun. A five year career as a user is normal, any more than that and it seems they are addicted or just too pathetic to realise how rubbish the stuff is.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't like what it does to people. Personalities shrink over time to a low (very low) common denominator – annoying twatishness. I realise that it's a "fashion" to stuff 10%Charlie90%Whoknowswhat up your nostrils and in my opinion it's a crap fashion. My dislike is partly to do with the three pals I've lost due to "misadventure" during use and the fact that the atmosphere in nightclubs changed dramatically for the worse when people switched from e to c around 13 years ago. Abroad, especially in Miami and Ibiza it's not as bad as the product is cleaner and people seem less irritated and arsey but in Edinburgh, where the dross is sold (anywhere to 7-12% pure), the agitation is palpable, clubs have become directionless as taste in music is no longer a priority and some people's behaviour whilst (10%) high is just idiotic, saying that watching pointy haired clowns jumping around and squabbling over their £50 bags of Bicarb can be entertaining.

Pretending it's "only harming yourself" is another idiotic standpoint. Wars are ongoing over that stuff. IMHO it should be legalised and it would put paid to all the criminal activity surrounding. Farm it legally, sell it legally and Tax it. Being a smarty pants and denying it kills is living in ignorance or worse, wilful ignorance.