PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Squad 2012-13 (merged)

DJ HIBBY
29-06-2012, 11:39 AM
All this chat about the huns and their lack of playing squad, lets not forget about our own current situation. We have released 10-15 players during the close season and so far have brought in 1 replacement, Tim Clancy. Having spoken to a few mates who support Motherwell, they reckon he is a good player but prone to the odd bombscare moment.

I am growing increasinly concerned that as pre-season is now upon us we are still in a position that we need to fill all these spaces. I had been hoping that we would have had at least 5-6 players brought in up to this point with 4-6 others being brought in throughout July & August.

Now, I think we could be in a position that come August we are nowhere near ready for starting the season with players not fully up to speed. We have a really difficult start to the season and it is imperative that we hit the ground running fast!

Without new signings coming in soon, I feel we will be dragged into another relegation battle as it will take time for the new squad to gel together.

Can we expect any new signings in the next week?

Ell_Chrisso
29-06-2012, 01:55 PM
If anyone knows, would they post what our current First Team squad is? Including stating players that are on loan. Just curious as to what we are actually left with after last season.

I agree tho mate, the pre-season is fast approaching and we dont seem to have many plans in order to build up the squad quickly. It does take time however to find the right players at the right prices... but surely Pat Fenlon has been working on this ever since he took over the job.

BEEJ
29-06-2012, 05:46 PM
If anyone knows, would they post what our current First Team squad is? Including stating players that are on loan. Just curious as to what we are actually left with after last season.

I agree tho mate, the pre-season is fast approaching and we dont seem to have many plans in order to build up the squad quickly. It does take time however to find the right players at the right prices... but surely Pat Fenlon has been working on this ever since he took over the job.
Squad currently is:

Antell
Booth
Cairney
Caldwell
Clancy
Claros
Doyle
Galbraith
Handling
Hanlon
Kujabi
McPake (Captain)
O'Hanlon
Osbourne
Smith
Sproule
Stephens
Stevenson
Williams
Wotherspoon

With the following three out of contract as of tomorrow but not yet confirmed by the club as gone:

Brown
O'Connor
Horner

Out on loan:

Scott

We also have as academy players on the fringe of the squad:

Stanton
Grant

Sumner
29-06-2012, 05:50 PM
.. by the look of that list,
I'm taking my boots to matches,
fancy my chances of a game.

HibbyKeith
29-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Squad currently is:

Booth
Caldwell
Clancy
Claros
Doyle
Galbraith
Handling
Hanlon
Kujabi
O'Hanlon
Osbourne
Smith
Sproule
Stephens
Stevenson
Wotherspoon

With the following four out of contract as of tomorrow but not yet confirmed by the club as gone:

Antell
Brown
O'Connor
Horner

Out on loan:

Scott

Stanton
Grant

Jeezo pretty bare to the bone,

Grant

Clancy Hanlon O'Hanlon/Stephens Kujabi

Wotherspoon Ozzy Claros Stevenson/Booth

Doyle Sproule

throwing a team together from that list was hard, and well... pash! fingers crossed that the transer wait will be worth it.

got to have a decent team to play is our stunning new home top.

Emerald
29-06-2012, 06:04 PM
All this chat about the huns and their lack of .playing squad, lets not forget about our own current situation. We have released 10-15 players during the close season and so far have brought in 1 replacement, Tim Clancy. Having spoken to a few mates who support Motherwell, they reckon he is a good player but prone to the odd bombscare moment.

I am growing increasinly concerned that as pre-season is now upon us we are still in a position that we need to fill all these spaces. I had been hoping that we would have had at least 5-6 players brought in up to this point with 4-6 others being brought in throughout July & August.

Now, I think we could be in a position that come August we are nowhere near ready for starting the season with players not fully up to speed. We have a really difficult start to the season and it is imperative that we hit the ground running fast!
Without new signings coming in soon, I feel we will be dragged into another relegation battle as it will take time for the new squad to gel together.

Can we expect any new signings in the next week?

Its groundhog day. Remember last season when we weren't ready. I think the manager is struggeling to get players in and the whole club has a real cost cutting feel to it right now. We dont want signings just for the sake of them though, so we can live in hope that there is a plan.
:pray:

hibeefan95
29-06-2012, 09:22 PM
.. by the look of that list,
I'm taking my boots to matches,
fancy my chances of a game.

I'll join you there :greengrin

Forza Fred
29-06-2012, 09:46 PM
The OP echoes my thoughts.

Once again we are supposed to "trust our elders and betters" that somehow from a myriad of deals that are supposedly going on, real or imaginery, that somehow, just like in the old comics the magician will wave his magic wand and somehow, 5 or 6 players will appear, fit, hungry and lean, ready for battle, each fully knowiung his role becasue he is a 'professional''.

IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

One new player signed prior to pre season trainig starting!!!

Many years ago when coaching amateur sides, even I had my squad in place for the commencement of pre season training - we seem to be absolutley crap in attracting players now, for whatever reason - and it can't just be money as some of our supposed targets have opted for other clubs that going by the conventioanlo wisdom, are even in a much more parlous financial state than us.

We Hibs supporters really deserve some positive news about signings after what we all have went through ..but up until now, Clancy aside, all we get is Churchillian words to be patient - that there is light at the end of the tunnel etc.

Can anybody see the tunnel, never mind the light

Dunno about you, but I'm fed up being patient...what about some action?

Iain G
29-06-2012, 11:41 PM
The OP echoes my thoughts.

Once again we are supposed to "trust our elders and betters" that somehow from a myriad of deals that are supposedly going on, real or imaginery, that somehow, just like in the old comics the magician will wave his magic wand and somehow, 5 or 6 players will appear, fit, hungry and lean, ready for battle, each fully knowiung his role becasue he is a 'professional''.

IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

One new player signed prior to pre season trainig starting!!!

Many years ago when coaching amateur sides, even I had my squad in place for the commencement of pre season training - we seem to be absolutley crap in attracting players now, for whatever reason - and it can't just be money as some of our supposed targets have opted for other clubs that going by the conventioanlo wisdom, are even in a much more parlous financial state than us.

We Hibs supporters really deserve some positive news about signings after what we all have went through ..but up until now, Clancy aside, all we get is Churchillian words to be patient - that there is light at the end of the tunnel etc.

Can anybody see the tunnel, never mind the light

Dunno about you, but I'm fed up being patient...what about some action?

Calm down dear!!

Do you want it done right by Pat or just want him to sign any old guff in JUNE to keep you happy ;-) Players are still generally under contract, players linked to us in the press may have gone elsewhere but that never means we were actually interestd in them, the Euros are still on and also Scottish football is in melt down....

But lets give Pat a bit of time to get it together, if by the end of July we havent got most of a new team in place you are allowed to panic ;-)

jamieross
30-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Calm down dear!!

Do you want it done right by Pat or just want him to sign any old guff in JUNE to keep you happy ;-) Players are still generally under contract, players linked to us in the press may have gone elsewhere but that never means we were actually interestd in them, the Euros are still on and also Scottish football is in melt down....

But lets give Pat a bit of time to get it together, if by the end of July we havent got most of a new team in place you are allowed to panic ;-)

Not calling this an excuse or even being a bedwetter, i fully expect we'll have more players soon but this statement always amazes me no matter who says it. How can we not sign anyone while the euros are on? It hasnt stopped people who are at the euros or even on international duty undertaking transfers/medicals. :confused: Its not like were signing anyone whos there.

Just my opinion, but as i say i fully trust Pat/Hibs to have done loads of work to get players. :flag:

Forza Fred
30-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Not calling this an excuse or even being a bedwetter, i fully expect we'll have more players soon but this statement always amazes me no matter who says it. How can we not sign anyone while the euros are on? It hasnt stopped people who are at the euros or even on international duty undertaking transfers/medicals. :confused: Its not like were signing anyone whos there.

Just my opinion, but as i say i fully trust Pat/Hibs to have done loads of work to get players. :flag:

Spot on, what has the Euros got do with the price of fish?

I'd be delighted if we were locked in negotiations with players who were taking part in the Euros and this somehow delayed their decision to jopin us or not, but we are probably talking more like the eqivalent of signing players from the Partick Thistle's of this world etc

We start pre season trainnig on Monday.

Maybe its just a generational thing, but the older and debatably wiser I get, the less blind faith I put in anybody...and tend to judge on actions

But as suggested, maybe I should go for a Bex and a good lie down, and when I wake up, everything will be fine.....:wink:

SouthamptonHibs
30-06-2012, 03:00 AM
By far the worst Hibs squad ever...makes last seasons team look like world beaters! If Hibs want to attract fans to ER we need to see a decwnt team with some decent players....the above team will be relegated by xmas! Roll on the signings hail hail

Littlest Hobo
30-06-2012, 03:20 AM
I fail to see how some supporters can be optimistic when it comes to Hibs these days.

Cost cutting measures have to be taken I understand that but we haven't had a proper squad together for a full pre season for as long as I can remember.

We better sign at least three quality players before the start of the season because I'll tell you right now if any of the current lot where playing in my back garden, I don't think I'd bother opening the blinds.

Steve20
30-06-2012, 03:37 AM
I fail to see how some supporters can be optimistic when it comes to Hibs these days.

Cost cutting measures have to be taken I understand that but we haven't had a proper squad together for a full pre season for as long as I can remember.

We better sign at least three quality players before the start of the season because I'll tell you right now if any of the current lot where playing in my back garden, I don't think I'd bother opening the blinds.

We need far more than three players. We have no keeper, one striker, short at centre half and no fight in midfield.

Iain G
30-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Spot on, what has the Euros got do with the price of fish?

I'd be delighted if we were locked in negotiations with players who were taking part in the Euros and this somehow delayed their decision to jopin us or not, but we are probably talking more like the eqivalent of signing players from the Partick Thistle's of this world etc

Probably quite a lot when you consider where a whole bunch of agents have been the last few weeks trying to peddle their star clients to the big teams of this world, we are a wee bit further down the pecking order...

Pat has said he's wanting to sign the right players, not just any old players, lets at least give him half a chance before jumping about out down about it all :thumbsup:

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Probably quite a lot when you consider where a whole bunch of agents have been the last few weeks trying to peddle their star clients to the big teams of this world, we are a wee bit further down the pecking order...

Pat has said he's wanting to sign the right players, not just any old players, lets at least give him half a chance before jumping about out down about it all :thumbsup:

Give him a chance?, FFS mate these cretins up the road are already lording it over us once again and you would think at least we could have a more positive statement from this useless board to try and at least make us feel a wee bit better but as usual stone cold silence except the usual season tickets guff, there is absolutely no chance of me spending any money on anythig Hibs until I see radical changes in the squad and at this moment in time it looks like that's not going to happen, I of course want to be proved wrong but can assure Petrie and co you ain't getting my money until I see some positive moves on the field...

So there! :na na:

oconnors_strip
30-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Squad currently is:

Booth
Caldwell
Clancy
Claros
Doyle
Galbraith
Handling
Hanlon
Kujabi
O'Hanlon
Osbourne
Smith
Sproule
Stephens
Stevenson
Wotherspoon

With the following four out of contract as of tomorrow but not yet confirmed by the club as gone:

Antell
Brown
O'Connor
Horner

Out on loan:

Scott

Stanton
Grant

Antell signed a new contract back in may

scoopyboy
30-06-2012, 12:30 PM
By far the worst Hibs squad ever...makes last seasons team look like world beaters! If Hibs want to attract fans to ER we need to see a decwnt team with some decent players....the above team will be relegated by xmas! Roll on the signings hail hail

Yeah that's the squad for the season right enough:rolleyes:

BEEJ
30-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Antell signed a new contract back in may
:aok: Yeah, I thought that I'd seen that somewhere, Nikki. But it's not been officially confirmed in the same way that, for example, the new contract for Scott Smith was announced last week.

I think I also read somewhere that young Horner will be moving on. But again, no official confirmation in the same way that we've been told about Taggart and Welsh.

scoopyboy
30-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Squad currently is:

Booth
Caldwell
Clancy
Claros
Doyle
Galbraith
Handling
Hanlon
Kujabi
O'Hanlon
Osbourne
Smith
Sproule
Stephens
Stevenson
Wotherspoon

Antell
Brown
O'Connor
Horner

Out on loan:

Scott

Stanton
Grant

Good work BEEJ.

Go and be a good chap though and add James McPake (captain), especially for SouthamptonHibs.:greengrin

BEEJ
30-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Good work BEEJ.

Go and be a good chap though and add James McPake (captain), especially for SouthamptonHibs.:greengrin
Done!

:wink:

Lungo--Drom
30-06-2012, 06:15 PM
I dunno, surely we can't get any worse than some of the pish we played last season?

:pfgwa

I'll join you there :greengrin

Spike Mandela
30-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Desperately praying for four new first pick midfielders. Starting to think we may be lucky to get one and muddle through with the losers from last year.

Cocaine&Caviar
30-06-2012, 07:49 PM
A strong + solid keeper (Alexander)
A creative midfielder (Shiels)
A winger (Humphrey)
A target man (Kyle?)

And we'be got a strong spine.

SouthamptonHibs
01-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Good work BEEJ.

Defo a happy man when i heard the news McPake signed yesterday! Keep the signings comung Hibs hail hail

scoopyboy
01-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Defo a happy man when i heard the news McPake signed yesterday! Keep the signings comung Hibs hail hail

Glad you're happier, couldnae resist the wee pop yesterday.

SouthamptonHibs
01-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Glad you're happier, couldnae resist the wee pop yesterday.

No worries mate was getting worried with the lack of signings. Hoping the teams ready for start of season not to worried about united game but we need to beat Hearts on 11th...need something good to shout about hail hail

scoopyboy
01-07-2012, 05:59 PM
No worries mate was getting worried with the lack of signings. Hoping the teams ready for start of season not to worried about united game but we need to beat Hearts on 11th...need something good to shout about hail hail

I'm fully expecting to ask BEEJ to update his squad list again tomorrow.

Paul Cairney had better be announced as a Hibs player or I'm going to be left with egg on my face (and deservedly so).

I've been harping on about it being a done deal for long enough that I'm starting to doubt me.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Paul Cairney had better be announced as a Hibs player or I'm going to be left with egg on my face (and deservedly so).

I've been harping on about it being a done deal for long enough that I'm starting to doubt me.

I cant take the credit for this, but someone else said when he signs he will nearly be able to sign a pre contract with another team. :greengrin

I have never seen him play, but he sounds the kind of player we need, someone who gets forward, creates and scores. Lets hope he is, and goes on to be a success for the cabbage.

scoopyboy
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Do the necessary BEEJ:greengrin

BEEJ
02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Do the necessary BEEJ:greengrin
Done!

Do we know if Callum Antell and / or Mark Brown turned up at East Mains this morning?

oconnors_strip
02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Done!

Do we know if Callum Antell and / or Mark Brown turned up at East Mains this morning?

Calum tweeted yesterday he was so happy to be back to training today so I presume so

SneakersO'Toole
02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
The 3 signings we have made so far have been promising however there is still major surgery required to this squad IMO. I would like to see Hibs line up something this like,

GK: NEW
RB: Clancy
LB: Hanlon
CB: McPake
CB: NEW

LM: Booth
CM: Cairney
CM: Osbourne
RM: NEW

FW: NEW
FW: Doyle/NEW

Based on that there is still some work to be done but whether we have the funds to carry it out remains to be seen. Another no nonsense central defender in and we have that department sorted, with the likes of Stephens and Kujabi as cover. Midfield I would give Booth a chance at left mid, defensively he isn't strong enough but I think with an injection of confidence he could potentially do a job there. Right midfield we are desperate for someone who can offer pace and a direct style of play. Players like Stevenson, Claros and Sproule are decent back up.

Up front is where we are really struggling. Doyle deserves his chance but we could really do with someone strong who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. A true and proper target man. If the rumours are true about Dean Shiels then I think he would be a great option to play off someone of this ilk.

If I were Fenlon I would deem the likes of Galbraith, Wotherspoon and O'Hanlon surplus to requirements. They are not good enough and never will be IMO.

It will be interesting to see wherer Fenlon strikes next. It is obvious to me that every department still needs strengthening. Hopefully the board can give him the backing for this.

Steve20
02-07-2012, 03:29 PM
A keeper and a striker are priorities, imo. In fact, I'd say we need two strikers signed.

After that, if we can still bring in another one or two players, a midfielder with a bit of fight and another centre half would be good.

BEEJ
02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Calum tweeted yesterday he was so happy to be back to training today so I presume so
Great. Thanks! :aok: (Wish the club would confirm it. :rolleyes:)

If I were Fenlon I would deem the likes of Galbraith, Wotherspoon and O'Hanlon surplus to requirements. They are not good enough and never will be IMO.
Rumours abound that O'Hanlon has been 'invited' to look for another club.

AlbertK86
06-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Now that the right thing has been done and the gers binned ... For at least a season ... I am more than happy that Hibs will have to cut their cloth accordingly.
Originally I wanted a full new squad with only McPake surviving but in reality that ain't happening.
I reckon we will see four more signings unless we can move more fringe players on. I also think GOC will be given another contract

My squad on this basis would be

First 11

GK - new

RB - Clancy
CH - McPake
CH - new
LB - Smith

RM - new
CM - Ozzy
CM - Cairney
LM - Booth

CF - Doyle
CF - new

Subs

Antell
Hanlon
Claros
Stanton
Handling
Caldwell
GOC

Squad players

Stephens
Stevenson
Spoon
Foster

Move on

Galbraith
Sproule
O'Hanlon
Kujabi

If we can shift these four another creator like Dean Sheils

Think PF will disagree with me re Booth as he would appear not to rate him. Can see Stevenson in their in Pat's thinking

Actually found that hard to scramble a squad of twenty !

frazeHFC
06-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Hanlon was great with McPake so i'd have him at CB.

AlbertK86
06-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Granted he improved but still wasn't great. I originally had him in and went for three new signings.

My worry is that McPake gets injured and he is left as main CH .. Not a good scenario. I think Stephens would benefit from a loan spell and O'Hanlon doesnae fill me with any confidence so I feel we need more cover there

lord bunberry
06-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't see the point in giving goc a new deal then starting him on the bench if he's fit and ready he would easily be the best striker we have got

AlbertK86
06-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Totally agree but it will be a massive IF as to whether he is fit

And yep you could argue should he get a new deal if not 100% fit.

edinburghhibee
06-07-2012, 11:13 AM
And if that is our midfield next season we will be no further forward in terms of creativity or drive. I really hope Pat has other targets for the midfield cos that midfield looks brutal! all IMHO right enough :aok:

I would honestly rather we just signed GOC again if it ment we could afford a decent midfielder... deal with the forwards in January or next season. Obviously if we get a decent midfielder, a decent forward and a good goalkeeper I will be more than happy :greengrin

Hibercelona
06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I reckon once Rangers start signing players (in DIV3 :wink:), SPL clubs should start buying them from Rangers for peanuts. :agree:

Franck is God
06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Other players will arrive and PF has said that another striker and goalkeeper are his highest priority as it stands. I could see a return for Griffiths over O'Connor, longer term he will give more to the club. Dean Shiels is a free agent so if Hibs offer him decent money I could see him coming back to ER and he is definitely a better player now than when he left.

I think the under 20 league will help Hibs this season as players like Handling, Caldwell, Smith, Booth etc will actually be playing competetive matches rather than friendlies or short loans in the lower leagues.

First Team Squad

GK - Brown? Antell & Grant

Def - Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, Kujabi, Stephens, O'Hanlon, Booth, Smith

Mid - Spoony, Ozzy, Claros, Lewis, Cairney, Sproule, Galbraith, Stanton, Shiels?

Fwd - Doyle, Caldwell, Handling, Griffiths?

From this squad realisticall you would be looking at a five man midfield with two sitting and three attacking maybe as below.

Brown

Clancy---McPake---Hanlon---Booth

Claros--Lewis

Spoony---Cairney---Shiels

Doyle / Griffiths

Subs

Antell
Stephens
Smith
Ozzy
Stanton
Griffiths / Doyle
Caldwell

Billychaotic182
06-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't know why but I can see McPake and O'Hanlon working well together. Anyone who went to the Aberdeen away game will prob agree with me as he was like a rock that game and got the winner

Sir David Gray
06-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Other players will arrive and PF has said that another striker and goalkeeper are his highest priority as it stands. I could see a return for Griffiths over O'Connor, longer term he will give more to the club. Dean Shiels is a free agent so if Hibs offer him decent money I could see him coming back to ER and he is definitely a better player now than when he left.

I think the under 20 league will help Hibs this season as players like Handling, Caldwell, Smith, Booth etc will actually be playing competetive matches rather than friendlies or short loans in the lower leagues.

First Team Squad

GK - Brown? Antell & Grant

Def - Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, Kujabi, Stephens, O'Hanlon, Booth, Smith

Mid - Spoony, Ozzy, Claros, Lewis, Cairney, Sproule, Galbraith, Stanton, Shiels?

Fwd - Doyle, Caldwell, Handling, Griffiths?

From this squad realisticall you would be looking at a five man midfield with two sitting and three attacking maybe as below.

Brown

Clancy---McPake---Hanlon---Booth

Claros--Lewis

Spoony---Cairney---Shiels

Doyle / Griffiths

Subs

Antell
Stephens
Smith
Ozzy
Stanton
Griffiths / Doyle
Caldwell

That midfield, for me, is nowhere near good enough.

In my opinion, we need at least another 3 midfielders coming into the club.

R'Albin
06-07-2012, 12:59 PM
That midfield, for me, is nowhere near good enough.

In my opinion, we need at least another 3 midfielders coming into the club.

Although 3 more midfielders would be great, I think given our presumably lower budget this year, we'd be better off just getting 1 or two -we're covered in the middle with Lewis and Ozzy playing the slightly more defensive role, with the attacking role filled by Cairney or even Doyle if necessary. At least one winger is essential, with either Booth out left and a new right mid, or two new wingers.

Once have a winger, two strikers, a left back and two keepers then we can maybe start looking at more midfielders if we have anything left.

yeezus.
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I think we will see the best of Booth next season, it's our strikers (or lack of em) that concern me.

Sir David Gray
06-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Although 3 more midfielders would be great, I think given our presumably lower budget this year, we'd be better off just getting 1 or two -we're covered in the middle with Lewis and Ozzy playing the slightly more defensive role, with the attacking role filled by Cairney or even Doyle if necessary. At least one winger is essential, with either Booth out left and a new right mid, or two new wingers.

Once have a winger, two strikers, a left back and two keepers then we can maybe start looking at more midfielders if we have anything left.

I just don't think the midfield that the guy put up there in that post is good enough to get us to where we want to be next season, i.e. challenging for the top 3 or 4 places.

I think Osbourne and Stevenson are decent players, Stevenson in particular put in some good performances last season but I still maintain that we require better players than Lewis Stevenson if we want to be playing at a higher level than we've managed in the past two seasons.

They are both more than useful players to have around the squad but I don't think we should be relying on them week in and week out.

I have no opinion either way on Cairney as I have never seen the guy in my life so it wouldn't be fair to judge him. I am willing to put faith in Fenlon's ability to spot good players so if he thinks that Cairney is the answer then great, I hope he is.

I also have no idea if the rumours surrounding Dean Shiels have any substance or not but I would certainly take him next season. He is a goalscoring midfielder, which we haven't had in recent years (probably since he left, actually!) and he was Kilmarnock's best player last year.

If we can snap up a player of his ability for nothing then even better!

Those two should be first team picks so that would leave us with at least another two slots to fill in midfield.

number9dream
06-07-2012, 01:33 PM
How about a Juve / McLeish era Hibs 3-5-2?

Clancy, McPake, Hanlon at the back, with Booth wide on left.
Doyle up top with a new striker.
New man wide right and new midfield general also required.
Fenlon can fill in blanks with guys we have already.

Northernhibee
06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't know why but I can see McPake and O'Hanlon working well together. Anyone who went to the Aberdeen away game will prob agree with me as he was like a rock that game and got the winner

Yep, the Baldy Baresi was on top form, Hanlon was acting like a leader next to him and that brought out the best in him. Him next to McPake would potentially be a rock solid CB pairing, Hanlon on the left, Clancy on the right.

R'Albin
06-07-2012, 02:15 PM
I just don't think the midfield that the guy put up there in that post is good enough to get us to where we want to be next season, i.e. challenging for the top 3 or 4 places.

I think Osbourne and Stevenson are decent players, Stevenson in particular put in some good performances last season but I still maintain that we require better players than Lewis Stevenson if we want to be playing at a higher level than we've managed in the past two seasons.

They are both more than useful players to have around the squad but I don't think we should be relying on them week in and week out.

I have no opinion either way on Cairney as I have never seen the guy in my life so it wouldn't be fair to judge him. I am willing to put faith in Fenlon's ability to spot good players so if he thinks that Cairney is the answer then great, I hope he is.

I also have no idea if the rumours surrounding Dean Shiels have any substance or not but I would certainly take him next season. He is a goalscoring midfielder, which we haven't had in recent years (probably since he left, actually!) and he was Kilmarnock's best player last year.

If we can snap up a player of his ability for nothing then even better!

Those two should be first team picks so that would leave us with at least another two slots to fill in midfield.

I think Ozzy and Stevenson are good enough when surrounded by a decent side. Osbourne IMO struggled a bit last year as the type of game he plays requires the team surrounding him to make runs
and constantly look for the ball, and the majority of our players last season rarely did that.

I would love us to sign Deano as well although going by what folk have been saying on the PM board I don't think that's happening. Going by the sounds of things Cairney sounds pretty similar anyway.

Obviously if a player of Shiels' calibre is willing to sign for us then we should grasp the opportunity, however I think we should be going for other areas before centre and left midfield.

Sir David Gray
06-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I think Ozzy and Stevenson are good enough when surrounded by a decent side. Osbourne IMO struggled a bit last year as the type of game he plays requires the team surrounding him to make runs
and constantly look for the ball, and the majority of our players last season rarely did that.

I would love us to sign Deano as well although going by what folk have been saying on the PM board I don't think that's happening. Going by the sounds of things Cairney sounds pretty similar anyway.

Obviously if a player of Shiels' calibre is willing to sign for us then we should grasp the opportunity, however I think we should be going for other areas before centre and left midfield.

I don't mean this in a bad way so please don't take it that way but I hear this line all the time that player X has potential, he just needs some good players surrounding him so he can improve. I am personally fed up hearing this being said constantly about a countless number of our players and it's about time we were signing players who are good players, regardless of who they have around them.

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Are we still saying Stevenson is good, he was crap last season and offered the team zero pace, zero assists and importantly zero goals. Passenger who at best should come off the bench to help see out games.

Spike Mandela
06-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Really, really don't want to sit through another season of watching Stevenson and Osbourne getting outplayed and passed around then them getting high praise for putting in a challenge or a very occasional forward run.

Unfortunately finance may dictate we have to.:rolleyes:

AlbertK86
08-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Really, really don't want to sit through another season of watching Stevenson and Osbourne getting outplayed and passed around then them getting high praise for putting in a challenge or a very occasional forward run.

Unfortunately finance may dictate we have to.:rolleyes:

Likewise Stevenson and that's why I have him as a a sub/squad player at best.

Still think Ozzy in holding role with better players around could come good

Leighonel
08-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Are we still saying Stevenson is good, he was crap last season and offered the team zero pace, zero assists and importantly zero goals. Passenger who at best should come off the bench to help see out games.

Stevenson was one of the quickest players in the team last year. It was this pace that allowed him to chase back and get in to make multiple crucial blocks/tackles last year. Being the best of a bad midfield isn't much but I feel he could play well in a 3 man midfield. Opinions though.

dmc1875
08-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Likewise Stevenson and that's why I have him as a a sub/squad player at best.

Still think Ozzy in holding role with better players around could come good

Really not a fan of Ozzy. I to believed he had a lot of potential but game after game he let the side down. I actually thought he was worse than Claros in the final before Claros got hooked.

The season ahead could either be a real worry, or if we get three or four decent players in could be quite a good one, we could go either way. It is a bit worrying that PF thinks we only need a striker and a goalkeeper as 'top priorities'. Top priorities are a wide player, a goalkeeper and at least TWO strikers. We have no O'Connor or Griffiths who must have contributed about 70% of our goals at least last season.

Currently a starting team of:

brown (if he signs)

clancy mcpake hanlon booth

sproule cairney osbourne stevenson

doyle caldwell

Is relegation material even with the other teams losing lots of players as well.

However bring in a couple of names we are linked with:

brown

clancy mcpake michalik hanlon

kerr

Wotherspoon Cairney

Deano

Doyle Sutton

It doesnt look too bad.

I think though we need to come to terms with the fact that, yet again, we are going to be a team devoid of any real pace or more importantly, width. A team with a real lack of decent squad depth. The likes of Utd, Hearts, St Johnstone etc will have a field day down our flanks as per usual.

scoopyboy
10-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Over to you again BEEJ.

I'm enjoying this

BEEJ
10-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Over to you again BEEJ.

I'm enjoying this
Updated. :cb

Also moved Antell into current squad listing as it seems clear now that his contract has been extended, though the club has yet to announce it.

Hibeescott
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
A few on here are suggesting we should be getting rid of players, thats the last thing the club will be doing now IMO. Those that were unwanted would have been told so, like all the others, and left at the end of last season. I think we arent too far away from the size of squad PF will be happy with, IMO we need 3 more players. Whether the quality is there is another matter and will depend much on how the new signings get on.

Keepers: Williams, Brown, Young keepers as back up.

RB: Clancy, Smith
LB: Kujabi, Booth
CB: McPake, Hanlon, Stephens, O'Hanlon

Wide midfielders: Galbraith, Sproule, Wotherspoon......Need a new player here.
CM: Ozzy, Stevenson, Cairney, Claros

ST: Doyle....Need two new players here, Caldwell and Handling as back up.

Eyrie
10-07-2012, 07:24 PM
A few on here are suggesting we should be getting rid of players, thats the last thing the club will be doing now IMO. Those that were unwanted would have been told so, like all the others, and left at the end of last season. I think we arent too far away from the size of squad PF will be happy with, IMO we need 3 more players. Whether the quality is there is another matter and will depend much on how the new signings get on.

Smith is a LB, so we're lacking depth at RB unless you want to move Wotherspoon there. I'd also like a ball winner in midfield as well as a wide man and two strikers. Willing to sacrifice Brown and go with the youngsters if necessary to free up funds.

Hibeescott
10-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Smith is a LB, so we're lacking depth at RB unless you want to move Wotherspoon there. I'd also like a ball winner in midfield as well as a wide man and two strikers. Willing to sacrifice Brown and go with the youngsters if necessary to free up funds.

I know he is a LB primarily, but if Clancy was to be injured, I cant see Stephens or O'hanlon playing there so I would imagine he might be used to cover that position. I put him in there to have 2 for each position, was a nice fit! I doubt we will sign your 'ball winner', I think he has stevenson and claros in that role.

oconnors_strip
11-07-2012, 05:04 PM

sammy stanton is now a permanent first team player so he will be in the CM pool of players

BEEJ
12-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Updated squad listing now that O'Connor confirmed as away and Stanton now apparently promoted to the first-team squad::

Antell
Booth
Cairney
Caldwell
Clancy
Claros
Doyle
Galbraith
Handling
Hanlon
Kujabi
McPake (Captain)
O'Hanlon
Osbourne
Smith
Sproule
Stanton
Stephens
Stevenson
Williams
Wotherspoon

With the following two out of contract but still around East Mains currently:

Brown
Horner

Out on loan:

Scott

Grant
Monaghan

weehibee19
16-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Hibs need to get rid of players like Stephens, O'Hanlon etc who consume money which could be put into players like Griffths,Shiels, Twigg and Forbes to strengthen the team we all love! Any way here is my team for the 2012-2013 season, what do you think?

Williams

Clancy Hanlon McPake Maybury

Wotherspoon Cairney Stevenson

Shiels
Griffths

Hibercelona
16-07-2012, 06:18 PM
No a bad line up at all.

But not so good that it would only require 10 men to win games. :wink:

Gillyboy
16-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Maybury is not what we're looking for ..he is slow, his distribution is poor and he could barely get a game for St Johnstone ...is this the level we're looking at!

weehibee19
16-07-2012, 06:30 PM
No a bad line up at all.

But not so good that it would only require 10 men to win games. :wink:

Sorry about that mate Probably would have Osbourne CM then!:)

weehibee19
16-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Maybury is not what we're looking for ..he is slow, his distribution is poor and he could barely get a game for St Johnstone ...is this the level we're looking at!

Good points there but from what I heard from the East Fife game he seems good enough to take the role. I feel Kujabi is a good player but he was just fitting into Scottish football and I think he'll be better next season!

AlbertK86
16-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Hibs need to get rid of players like Stephens, O'Hanlon etc who consume money which could be put into players like Griffths,Shiels, Twigg and Forbes to strengthen the team we all love! Any way here is my team for the 2012-2013 season, what do you think?

Williams

Clancy Hanlon McPake Maybury

Wotherspoon Cairney Stevenson

Shiels
Griffths

Was somebody sent off ?!?!?!

TamHibs
16-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Hibs need to get rid of players like Stephens, O'Hanlon etc who consume money which could be put into players like Griffths,Shiels, Twigg and Forbes to strengthen the team we all love!

You can't really expect us to release 2 defenders so we can bring in 4 forwards, if Stephens & O'Hanlon were to be released we'd have to bring in at least 1 defender to offset the loss. Whilst I'd love to see all 4 of those players at ER, I can only see LG & DS as the most likely to join of any.

The Sea-gull
18-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Assuming we want to try and assemble a squad of 23 with three keepers and two players for each outfield slot, I think this is where we are currently at:-

GK - Williams, Antell, Grant

RB - Clancy

LB - Smith

CB - McPake, Hanlon, O'Hanlon, Stephens

M - Claros, Stevenson, Sproule, Cairney, Booth, Kujabi, Wotherspoon, Galbraith

F - Doyle, Caldwell

In an ideal world, I would rather have another experienced keeper in but maybe we just have to go with Williams plus the young lads and use the resources we have to strengthen other areas.

I'm not too clued up on the young players but do we have any who could be classed as back up full backs? We definitely could do with cover in those areas and it would be good if there are any emerging young players in these positions. I have included Booth and Kujabi in midfield as don't think either are the answer at full back.

Despite what I have said about Maybury on other threads, maybe in the current climate the bullet has to be bit and he would be a good signing as cover at full back but I would prefer we signed a quality first choice left back and had youngsters as cover.

Any young centre backs emerging? I have included O'Hanlon and Stephens though ideally both of them will depart and maybe we can get a CB in to play with McPake an promote a young player to first team squad.

In midfield we are well covered for wide players in quantity if not quality. Sproule and Spoony for the right, Galbraith, Kujabi and Booth for the left. Really Galbraith has to go and would not be sad to see the back of any of the others apart from Booth who I would like to be given a shot playing in an attacking role. It is difficult to move players who are in contract on though ideally if we could get rid of three of the four and bring in a two wide players.

Central midfield we have Claros, Stevenson and Cairney. Claros was poor last year but I don't see any harm in giving him another 6 months. Lewis for me is a good player to have in the squad but not starting. Cairney we have to give a go but I am nervous if he is our star midfield signing as it is asking a lot of him. We need a good quality midfielder. It would be great to get someone who has physical presence and is good on the ball. Who does Craig Rocastle playe for these days.........

Up front we seem well short and need at least two first team level strikers, one who should be real quality. Failing this one quality established striker would be fine if there is another young lad who can emerge alongside Caldwell as back up.

Apologies for the long post but to summarise, is it unrealistic of me to expect a first choice LB, two new CBs, two new wide midfielders, a strong ball winning, ball playing central midfielder and two strikers by the 1st September IF the following players can be moved on by then:-

O'Hanlon, Stevens, Galbraith and two from Wotherspoon, Sproule and Kujabi

At the end of the season we lost eleven players - O'Connor, Griffiths, Doherty, Brown, Stack, O'Donavon, Soares, Francombe, Scott, McPake and Murray. If the above went along with Osbourne that would be another six so 17 players in total.

We have signed Clancy, McPake, Cairney and Williams. That means in theory we have another 13 wages to use up. Costs are being cut but surely signing 8 more players out of 13 wage packets is not beyond the realms of possibility.

DH1875
18-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Assuming we want to try and assemble a squad of 23 with three keepers and two players for each outfield slot, I think this is where we are currently at:-

GK - Williams, Antell, Grant

RB - Clancy

LB - Smith

CB - McPake, Hanlon, O'Hanlon, Stephens

M - Claros, Stevenson, Sproule, Cairney, Booth, Kujabi, Wotherspoon, Galbraith

F - Doyle, Caldwell

In an ideal world, I would rather have another experienced keeper in but maybe we just have to go with Williams plus the young lads and use the resources we have to strengthen other areas.

I'm not too clued up on the young players but do we have any who could be classed as back up full backs? We definitely could do with cover in those areas and it would be good if there are any emerging young players in these positions. I have included Booth and Kujabi in midfield as don't think either are the answer at full back.

Despite what I have said about Maybury on other threads, maybe in the current climate the bullet has to be bit and he would be a good signing as cover at full back but I would prefer we signed a quality first choice left back and had youngsters as cover.

Any young centre backs emerging? I have included O'Hanlon and Stephens though ideally both of them will depart and maybe we can get a CB in to play with McPake an promote a young player to first team squad.

In midfield we are well covered for wide players in quantity if not quality. Sproule and Spoony for the right, Galbraith, Kujabi and Booth for the left. Really Galbraith has to go and would not be sad to see the back of any of the others apart from Booth who I would like to be given a shot playing in an attacking role. It is difficult to move players who are in contract on though ideally if we could get rid of three of the four and bring in a two wide players.

Central midfield we have Claros, Stevenson and Cairney. Claros was poor last year but I don't see any harm in giving him another 6 months. Lewis for me is a good player to have in the squad but not starting. Cairney we have to give a go but I am nervous if he is our star midfield signing as it is asking a lot of him. We need a good quality midfielder. It would be great to get someone who has physical presence and is good on the ball. Who does Craig Rocastle playe for these days.........

Up front we seem well short and need at least two first team level strikers, one who should be real quality. Failing this one quality established striker would be fine if there is another young lad who can emerge alongside Caldwell as back up.

Apologies for the long post but to summarise, is it unrealistic of me to expect a first choice LB, two new CBs, two new wide midfielders, a strong ball winning, ball playing central midfielder and two strikers by the 1st September IF the following players can be moved on by then:-

O'Hanlon, Stevens, Galbraith and two from Wotherspoon, Sproule and Kujabi

At the end of the season we lost eleven players - O'Connor, Griffiths, Doherty, Brown, Stack, O'Donavon, Soares, Francombe, Scott, McPake and Murray. If the above went along with Osbourne that would be another six so 17 players in total.

We have signed Clancy, McPake, Cairney and Williams. That means in theory we have another 13 wages to use up. Costs are being cut but surely signing 8 more players out of 13 wage packets is not beyond the realms of possibility.

So in other words, we need a whole new team.

GreenCastle
18-07-2012, 02:51 PM

I think people were asking for that most of last season and after the cup final especially! That day only McPake came out with any credit.

I don't see Spoony or Sproule going and I would keep them for squad players.

I do think we need 4 or ideally 5 more players if we are to challenge for 2nd - right now we have a squad that will be lucky to make top 6 :agree:

The Sea-gull
18-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Not necesserily a whole new team but the squad needs "re-energised" and has done for sometime now because of repeated failed attempts to "re-energise" it.

Given the number of outs we had at the end of the season, the number of ins so far this summer and that there are about 5 players there who really should not kick a ball for Hibs again, we do still need a number of players. Of the players left, there aren't many who are good enough to play for Hibs week in week out and many who are as yet unproven.

Even if we move away from thinking about the squad for now and try to come up with a decent first XI from what we have, there are still areas where we lack quality or have unproven talent/a lot to do to impress, hence why I have not selected players for CM and RM and put * beside players who are unproven:-

Williams*

Clancy/McPake/Hanlon*/Smith*

New RM/Claros*/New CM/Cairney*/Booth*

Doyle*

AlbertK86
18-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Due to financial issues I am now happy to sign 3 more and supplement squad with kids

Will take more signings if we can be rid of the likes of Sproule Galbraith Brown O Hanlon kujabi Spoony Stevenson in that order preferably

However defo need a big replacement for Ozzy if he goes as well as one other winger/midfielder and a striker

Sir David Gray
18-07-2012, 11:10 PM
I think we need about another 6 or 7 new players if we want to be challenging for 2nd place next season. I'm realistic enough to realise that the current financial state of Scottish football will dictate that we won't be bringing in another 6 or 7 players this summer so I have accepted that this coming season will just be a case of trying to improve upon the previous two years and maybe trying to break into the top six.

Long term, that should not be the limits of our ambition but I think that's realistic enough with where we are at the moment. Unfortunately, the squad we have right now is just not good enough to challenge anywhere near the top of the league.

Steve20
19-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Just over two weeks until the season starts:

Up front we've lost O'Connor and Griffiths. Both needed replacing and neither have.

We needed a tough midfielder brought in as we've been too lightweight for years. Not happened.

Williams in goals and Clancy at the back will hopefully help defensively but midfield and up front, we are still 3-4 players away from being anywhere near decent.

Pete
19-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Due to financial issues I am now happy to sign 3 more and supplement squad with kids

Will take more signings if we can be rid of the likes of Sproule Galbraith Brown O Hanlon kujabi Spoony Stevenson in that order preferably

However defo need a big replacement for Ozzy if he goes as well as one other winger/midfielder and a striker

I agree. Given the right regime and discipline a talented "kid" can blossom into an accomplished player provided the club has the trust in him gives him the belief.

Falkirk and Pressley have shown the way after getting their hand forced into adopting this path. Football is skint and we can't afford the talents of yesterday and as a nation we have to look at developing youngsters.

What we have in our favour is our facilities and the fact that as a club, we are at a major crossroads. Major change would be acceptable. Instead of referring to them as "kids" we should be integrating them into the first team in games where losing would not be the end of the world.

Even monkeys can be trained to perform tricks but you need the right trainer, the right philosophy and everyone to be comfortable. Look at what Brendan Rogers did with a bunch of "no-hopers" at Swansea!

I'd have Pressley and his philosophy at Hibs in a heartbeat if a vacancy was to arise but I'm eager to see what will happen over the next few seasons with Fenlon...as I think we have to think long term here.

If this tough talk is backed up by blooding youngsters and evidence of a commitment to good football then we have a lot to look forward to.

Lungo--Drom
19-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Is Danny Handling any relation to the late great Hamilton Handling?

R'Albin
21-07-2012, 12:05 PM
I know it's a little premature but what team/formation would you go for next season ? And if you plan on coming into this thread and whining at it being too early don't bother.

Already sort of shared on another thread, but realistically this is what I'd go for.

Williams

Maybury/New RB
Clancy
McPake
Hanlon

New RM
Stevenson/New CM
Cairney
Booth

Griffiths
Caldwell

Now I appreciate that I've only seen Caldwell play once, but I think Leigh would suit playing with him a lot more than he would Doyle. I appreciate that Ross is only 19 so we don't want to be relying on him, so I think with that it mind we could also work like this.

Williams

Maybury/NewRB
Clancy
McPake
Hanlon

New CM
Steveson
New CM

Sproule/New RW
Griffiths
Cairney

Obviously don't just be adding 5-6 new signings because that's never gonna happen.

Go.

Edit - Sorry admins never noticed this thread was already full of em'

MyJo
21-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I know it's a little premature but what team/formation would you go for next season ? And if you plan on coming into this thread and whining at it being too early don't bother.

Already sort of shared on another thread, but realistically this is what I'd go for.

Williams

Maybury/New RB
Clancy
McPake
Hanlon

New RM
Stevenson/New CM
Cairney
Booth

Griffiths
Caldwell

Now I appreciate that I've only seen Caldwell play once, but I think Leigh would suit playing with him a lot more than he would Doyle. I appreciate that Ross is only 19 so we don't want to be relying on him, so I think with that it mind we could also work like this.

Williams

Maybury/NewRB
Clancy
McPake
Hanlon

New CM
Steveson
New CM

Sproule/New RW
Griffiths
Cairney

Obviously don't just be adding 5-6 new signings because that's never gonna happen.

Go.

Edit - Sorry admins never noticed this thread was already full of em'

A 4-3-2-1. As it stands with no more players being signed:

__________________williams

Clancy______mcpake________hanlon_______booth

______cairney_______claros_____stevenson

Sproule______________________________griffiths
______________Doyle/Caldwell

IMO the midfield badly needs strengthened with a strong defensive midfielder in place of claros and ideally an experienced killen-like player as first choice striker as a bare minimum. I'd hope to swap Stevenson for sheils and Sproule for a new winger

number9dream
21-07-2012, 01:28 PM
I can't see PF being allowed to bring in more than one or two others now Griffiths is back.
Any new arrivals will have to be pretty special since I'm struggling to see much in the way of improvement.
than
McPake & Griffiths were here last season and how much better are Williams, Cairney, Clancy than Stack, Osbourne, Doherty?
Griffiths and Doyle look pretty similar and both are 'second strikers', which leaves the rookie Caldwell as the only player available to lead the line, hold the ball up, win headers.
I haven't seen Cairney, so I can't comment on him, but our midfield looks desperately in need of someone who can win a tackle and drive the team forward...

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I can't see PF being allowed to bring in more than one or two others now Griffiths is back.
Any new arrivals will have to be pretty special since I'm struggling to see much in the way of improvement.
than
McPake & Griffiths were here last season and how much better are Williams, Cairney, Clancy than Stack, Osbourne, Doherty?
Griffiths and Doyle look pretty similar and both are 'second strikers', which leaves the rookie Caldwell as the only player available to lead the line, hold the ball up, win headers.
I haven't seen Cairney, so I can't comment on him, but our midfield looks desperately in need of someone who can win a tackle and drive the team forward...

:agree: Claros and Stevenson are very poor, if folk suddenly think they are going to improve 100% and start doing things like pick out passes, and drive forward attacking the oppositions back 4, then you are deluded.

Our midfield is poor, and if you add Sproule to that 3, he's not beat a full back in years, why would he start now?

I agree our midfielders should protect the defence, but they also HAVE to get forward and support the forwards. Not seen enough of Cairney, but the other 3 wont in a million years, we need better in there.

GGTTH07
27-07-2012, 02:34 PM
The midfield just now Is a shambles and I really worry for us next season. Need a big aggressive bassa in the middle of the park. Pronto!

Kojock
27-07-2012, 02:36 PM
The midfield just now Is a shambles and I really worry for us next season. Need a big aggressive bassa in the middle of the park. Pronto!

Im more worried about this season....:wink:

Franck Stanton
27-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Correct, you and quite a few others have pinpointed the urgent need for a player of this type to control the midfield area. Think Fenlon knows this as well but is hampered by lack of funds. Hopefully he is given the finances to rectify the situation soon. Start of season isn't far away and dont want us waiting till last minute of transfer window and making panic buy.

Have read on previous posts that there appears a chance Stephens will be played in m/f holding role. Worked with Matty Jack, don't know if it would with Stephens.

hibsbollah
27-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Im surprised there havent been more threads about our lack of a Matty jack type enforcer type with some dig in the engine room :dunno:

Ozyhibby
27-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Considering that Stephens, wotherspoon and Doyle were not good enough last season for starting place but have been automatic picks so far in pre season and it's fair to say that we have went backwards.
Hopefully Ross County or Dundee are as bad as the Pars were or there is a good chance we'll go down.

sixtwo
27-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Jimmy Scott fits that bill but our decision makers have decided he is surplus to requirements. I'm sure we will get a few more faces in but we should have had them in weeks ago. We are a shambolic club with an amateurish, penny pinching mindset.

sambajustice
27-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Matty Jack was only Matty Jack because he had players like Russell to protect and also because we played with 3 at the back. Having a Matty Jack with 4 at the back and no creativity infront of him is pointless, it would just be a humpty player not contributing anything!

Chuck Rhoades
27-07-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm sure PF is working on signing the exact player you mention at the moment. Signing players isn't as easy as some people seem to think.

marinello59
27-07-2012, 02:56 PM

I'n glad you started a new thread about this. Why nobody has previously mentioned our need to strengthen the midfield baffles me to be honest.

GreenCastle
27-07-2012, 03:00 PM
The first couple of games will tell you about our season.

Two tough games - Utd away then the yams at ER.

Utd away I would take a battling draw.

Yams at home - although they have a better squad still than us - I expect nothing less than a draw - the players / manager have to show 100% more quality or character than May 19th or there are going to be some very angry Hibs fans :agree:

If both games we are poor then I will be very worried - and yes there has been about 10 threads already about our lack of midfield and general signings!

BarneyK
27-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I'n glad you started a new thread about this. Why nobody has previously mentioned our need to strengthen the midfield baffles me to be honest.

:greengrin

lucky
27-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Jimmy Scott fits that bill but our decision makers have decided he is surplus to requirements. I'm sure we will get a few more faces in but we should have had them in weeks ago. We are a shambolic club with an amateurish, penny pinching mindset.
Have you seen him actually play? He is only remembered for breaking a team mates jaw during his time at Hibs. He is and was never good enough for the SPL

sixtwo
27-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Have you seen him actually play? He is only remembered for breaking a team mates jaw during his time at Hibs. He is and was never good enough for the SPL

I have watched him and think he is better than what we are left with now. We will find out soon enough if he is good enough for the spl. I'm confident he will be a regular starter for Ross county. Ross county will finish higher than we did last season

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I too feel I must align myself wit the comments made by a couple of posters on this thread. I am absolutely amazed it has taken until a week before the season kicks off to have a thread on Hibs.net highlighting the need for this midfield general. I wonder if there is also one on the Bounce? Think I will just nip over and see and maybe start one if there isn't.

HibsMax
27-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Considering that Stephens, wotherspoon and Doyle were not good enough last season for starting place but have been automatic picks so far in pre season and it's fair to say that we have went backwards.
Hopefully Ross County or Dundee are as bad as the Pars were or there is a good chance we'll go down.

1. you're making the assumption that the players you mentioned have not improved. Maybe they haven't but I think it's too soon to say (season hasn't started yet).
2. I wouldn't read too much into team selection for pre-season matches. I imagine Fenlon will be trying different things. Maybe he's trying to assess if these guys are good enough to start this season?

I know we haven't brought in many players and that is being perceived by some / many / all as a bad thing. A backwards step. I'm not so sure. We've got rid of a bunch of players and if Fenlon is able to get the remaining players playing as a team then I think that's an example of an improvement made without adding more players.

Getting more players in would be nice but it's not the only way we can improve as a TEAM.

HibsMax
27-07-2012, 03:39 PM
I too feel I must align myself wit the comments made by a couple of posters on this thread. I am absolutely amazed it has taken until a week before the season kicks off to have a thread on Hibs.net highlighting the need for this midfield general. I wonder if there is also one on the Bounce? Think I will just nip over and see and maybe start one if there isn't.

I wouldn't waste your time looking, just start one anyway. ;)

Hibiza
27-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Dont be worried, 2 players short , thats all. keep the faith :flag:

Bob Box Fish
27-07-2012, 03:46 PM
We'll miss Gary O's goals too. If you took them out of last seasons team we probably would be playing first division football. Can't see Doyle hitting double figures.

With one of the worst midfields we've ever had and no replacement for Gary it could be another long season unless we get more bodies in.

Spike Mandela
27-07-2012, 03:47 PM
1. you're making the assumption that the players you mentioned have not improved. Maybe they haven't but I think it's too soon to say (season hasn't started yet).
2. I wouldn't read too much into team selection for pre-season matches. I imagine Fenlon will be trying different things. Maybe he's trying to assess if these guys are good enough to start this season?

I know we haven't brought in many players and that is being perceived by some / many / all as a bad thing. A backwards step. I'm not so sure. We've got rid of a bunch of players and if Fenlon is able to get the remaining players playing as a team then I think that's an example of an improvement made without adding more players.

Getting more players in would be nice but it's not the only way we can improve as a TEAM.

Why are people scared to say it. :confused: no need for semantics.

We were **** last year and this year we look as **** if not ****ter than last year. Just embrace it, it's the Hibs way.

Hibiza
27-07-2012, 03:51 PM

We were **** last year and this year we look as **** if not ****ter than last year. Just embrace it, it's the Hibs way.

Rubbish. :flag:

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't waste your time looking, just start one anyway. ;)

Start one on H.I.B.S as well you reckon? :greengrin

Spike Mandela
27-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Rubbish. :flag:

That's more like it!:aok:

S4uzee
27-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Very True

Onion
27-07-2012, 04:02 PM

You could have posted this at the start of the last 3 or 4 seasons and it would have been relevant. Virtually every SPL club in the last 3 years has dominated Hibs' midfield and controlled most of the game as result. Unless, Petrie/Fenlon are prepared to spend some decent money to shore up this obvious area of weakness, you can expect us to continue losing the first goal and struggling to hold onto a lead.

silverhibee
27-07-2012, 04:20 PM

And yet they paid £100k for Jimmy Scott, who i am sorry to say doesn't fit the bill because he is not a very good football player, that's why he was punted on loan to Ross County.

PeterboroHibee
27-07-2012, 04:35 PM
The first couple of games will tell you about our season.

Two tough games - Utd away then the yams at ER.

Utd away I would take a battling draw.

Yams at home - although they have a better squad still than us - I expect nothing less than a draw - the players / manager have to show 100% more quality or character than May 19th or there are going to be some very angry Hibs fans :agree:

If both games we are poor then I will be very worried - and yes there has been about 10 threads already about our lack of midfield and general signings!

Id be delighted if I was wrong, but I think we will get battered against United. They will over run us in midfield and their strikers are in great form, cant see how we will come away with anything. No idea how we will get on against Hearts, theyve lost quite a few players but our record against them is still shocking.

easty
27-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Id be delighted if I was wrong, but I think we will get battered against United. They will over run us in midfield and their strikers are in great form, cant see how we will come away with anything. No idea how we will get on against Hearts, theyve lost quite a few players but our record against them is still shocking.

It'll definitely be a good test against Utd, we look to have improved, on paper, at the back and we'll be up against the second best attacking force, Daly, Russell, Mackay-Steven, in the league, behind Celtic.

Mikey
27-07-2012, 05:22 PM

That's a bit concerning. How many goals have they scored in the last 10 weeks?

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2012, 05:44 PM
It'll definitely be a good test against Utd, we look to have improved, on paper, at the back and we'll be up against the second best attacking force, Daly, Russell, Mackay-Steven, in the league, behind Celtic.

I think thats very debatable, whats not though is we are weaker in midfield and up front. Personally i cant see any improvement at this minute in time, and next season does not look good to me, unless others have been considerably weakened?

HibsMax
27-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Sorry, you lost me. Why are people scared to say what?

Spike Mandela
27-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Sorry, you lost me. Why are people scared to say what?

Our team is ****!:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2012, 06:01 PM

IMO Utd have the best attack in the SPL .... If that 3 were up front for celtic they would score a shed load of goals.

As for the Hibs midfield .... For the last 3 seasons it has been the root of all evil, its lack of ability is a good deal to blame for our defensive frailties. If the other team have the ball all the time how can any defense be expected not to leak goals. If your midfield has no quality and no ability to create for the strikers, how can you be expected to score goals?

I realise that PF did need to shore up the back 4 and that we needed at least 1 more striker. But the apparent failure to address the glaring and obvious problem we have in midfield does not reflect well on him or the board ..... The problem has been staring us in the face for too long .... it is the main reason we have finished where we have for the last 3 years and the main reason we got pumped at Hampden, hearts supporting refs notwithstanding.

We need two experienced decent SPL standard ( or better ) midfield players in the team before the season starts or we will just go through the Groundhog Day type of experience we have put up with for the last 5 seasons.

Spike Mandela
27-07-2012, 06:05 PM
IMO Utd have the best attack in the SPL .... If that 3 were up front for celtic they would score a shed load of goals.

As for the Hibs midfield .... For the last 3 seasons it has been the root of all evil, its lack of ability is a good deal to blame for our defensive frailties. If the other team have the ball all the time how can any defense be expected not to leak goals. If your midfield has no quality and no ability to create for the strikers, how can you be expected to score goals?

I realise that PF did need to shore up the back 4 and that we needed at least 1 more striker. But the apparent failure to address the glaring and obvious problem we have in midfield does not reflect well on him or the board ..... The problem has been staring us in the face for too long .... it is the main reason we have finished where we have for the last 3 years and the main reason we got pumped at Hampden, hearts supporting refs notwithstanding.

We need two experienced decent SPL standard ( or better ) midfield players in the team before the season starts or we will just go through the Groundhog Day type of experience we have put up with for the last 5 seasons.

:top marks::agree:

HibsMax
27-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Our team is ****!:greengrin

LOL. I see what you're saying.

I'm not scared to say it but I think that I want to see them play (in an SPL game or two) before I reach that judgment. It's just that there are many posts / threads saying we need more players. I won't try and fight that unwinnable battle but I also believe that teams / players can get better so even though we do need more players I still think that it's feasible that the team is improved over last year...especially if the bad attitude (1) really existed, and (2) is gone.

Hibercelona
28-07-2012, 12:04 PM
LOL. I see what you're saying.

I'm not scared to say it but I think that I want to see them play (in an SPL game or two) before I reach that judgment. It's just that there are many posts / threads saying we need more players. I won't try and fight that unwinnable battle but I also believe that teams / players can get better so even though we do need more players I still think that it's feasible that the team is improved over last year...especially if the bad attitude (1) really existed, and (2) is gone.

There seems to be a "bad attitude" problem every year with us.

It's like we sign erseholes on purpose, just to add a bit of drama into the mix.

ahibby
28-07-2012, 12:24 PM
I can see where the op is coming from. We haven't strengthened much if at all. We are a well recognised striker down on last season and we have brought in a first division midfielder while letting one who has played at a higher level go. It sounds as though Hibs think that by shoring up our defence it will make up for the poorer midfield and strike force ( I use that term loosely). However I think any defence will soon become demoralised if their forward line can't hold the ball up, taking chances and the midfield can't cope, which is where I think we are at the moment. No matter how positive you are you have to have a niggling concern that things are far from alright. I am tired of thinking that we might have a decent player but because they didn't get a pre season with us they are not firing on all cylinders. Anyone we bring in now that the pre season is almost over might fit in to that category. All in all I am a bit disappointed again, but not really surprised and I'm hoping that the players we have can improve, however the back room staff don't have experience at any level which would make me think they can bring the very best out of players. I hope that I can be made to eat my words and will be very happy to do so should PF come up with something unforeseen.

mcfly
28-07-2012, 01:49 PM
We seem to have sorted our defence which is great.

However the midfield remains a huge weakness which all SPL teams will expose yet again. I see we are looking at mark Kerr. I'm uninspired, he will do a job but lacks creativity. We need a zemmama type player with a bit of vision.

Also I thought we were wanting a big striker...season starts next week, why is it year on year hibs are so slow in the transfer market??

The board sends out the letters but years of poor results and the humiliation at the cup final takes its toll.

Invest some money and show ambition!!

SteveHFC
28-07-2012, 01:51 PM
And we also need a Center-Back!

bingo70
28-07-2012, 01:54 PM

However the midfield remains a huge weakness which all SPL teams will expose yet again. I see we are looking at mark Kerr. I'm uninspired, he will do a job but lacks creativity. We need a zemmama type player with a bit of vision.

Also I thought we were wanting a big striker...season starts next week, why is it year on year hibs are so slow in the transfer market??

The board sends out the letters but years of poor results and the humiliation at the cup final takes its toll.

The defence looks far from sorted today.

Agree about the creative player but I'm hoping Caldwell might be the physical striker we're needing.

lyonhibs
28-07-2012, 01:59 PM
And yet they paid £100k for Jimmy Scott, who i am sorry to say doesn't fit the bill because he is not a very good football player, that's why he was punted on loan to Ross County.

I'll be interested to see how he does at Ross County, and how Ross County do compared with Hibs, let's put it that way.

I think a lot on here may well be in for a nasty shock.

AlbertK86
28-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Slow in market so that we save pay wages til we really have to

Same old story every season

Cameron1875
02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
3 new players added to the team from last season and a squad size lucky to fill the Matchday 18. Should we just accept that it was a load of marketing bollox from Hibs to shift season tics?

Tricla
02-08-2012, 06:56 PM
No.