PDA

View Full Version : Do We Have A Goalie?

Forza Fred
26-06-2012, 10:58 PM
With Stack released and my understanding that Brown has yet to be offered a new contrct, does this mean that we currently have an open goal to defend?

I have to admit that as far as recruitment goes I am seriously concerned.

Given that our deficiencies were obvious last season, and that it could be argued that we are in an even numerically worse state after the end fo the season, I had expected more than one player to have been signed by this time.

We may haeveemptied some players who many thouoght (myself included) were undermining the club ''çulture"..but I havent seen any suitbale replacements.

Or am I not just trusting in Pat enough, and fans like me just have to be patient etc, etc, etc?
i

Hail Hail 96
26-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Grant?

Lungo--Drom
26-06-2012, 11:21 PM
What happened to Flynn?

yekimevol
26-06-2012, 11:42 PM
i would go with the youngster
Calum Antell over grant tbh,
Though i want a experienced soild keeper !

Part/Time Supporter
27-06-2012, 06:11 AM
What happened to Flynn?

Freed last year. Now playing for Cowdenbeath.

Andy74
27-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Until we play a game. Or are training at the very least, I don't really care if we have a goalie or not. So long as whoever comes in us better than the ones we had.

I think Brown might still get a deal as back up. He might not want that though.

Forza Fred
27-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Until we play a game. Or are training at the very least, I don't really care if we have a goalie or not. So long as whoever comes in us better than the ones we had.

I think Brown might still get a deal as back up. He might not want that though.

But don''t we start training in 4 days?

Craig_in_Prague
27-06-2012, 07:10 AM
SPL starts in 5 weeks. You can be sure that Hibs will not be ready by then and still trying to sign players end of August, by which time we will most likely be propping up the table (given the fixtures).

Yes. I am resigned to just suffering as a Hibs fan.

hibsbollah
27-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Brown will start the season I think.

Personally im from the Brian Clough school on building a team; 'start everything with the best goalkeeper available, dear boy'. Brown isnt that, and id rather get someone better, but hes no Simon Brown either.

easty
27-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Thou i want a experance soild keeper ![/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Is that Moses least well known commandment? :rolleyes:

brog
27-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Freddie, we haven't had one for 20 years, have you just noticed? :wink: Hope all's well mate.

PeterboroHibee
27-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Brown will start the season I think.

Personally im from the Brian Clough school on building a team; 'start everything with the best goalkeeper available, dear boy'. Brown isnt that, and id rather get someone better, but hes no Simon Brown either.

But why do we have so many problems finding a keeper? Most other SPL clubs are able to find someone who is more or less reliable (ie not chucking it in their goal nearly every week) and can stay fit over a season, on at least a similar, or worse budget than us. It is hugely important to build from the back, something that no manager in recent years has been bothered to do, and its cost us on so many occasions.

hibsbollah
27-06-2012, 09:56 AM
But why do we have so many problems finding a keeper? Most other SPL clubs are able to find someone who is more or less reliable (ie not chucking it in their goal nearly every week) and can stay fit over a season, on at least a similar, or worse budget than us. It is hugely important to build from the back, something that no manager in recent years has been bothered to do, and its cost us on so many occasions.

I trace it all back to Gordon Marshalls nefarious influence :grr:

We need Fenlon to do a Clough and pluck a Shilton from relative obscurity at Stoke City. We too could then conquer Europe :agree:

Aldo
27-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Would be happy with Alexander if the rumours are true. I'm a believer in first and foremost being hard to beat, get a good strong spine of a team and work it from there.

There is no point in going gung ho and getting totally pumped for flair footie.

If and that's if we get McPake then that's both him and Clancy (RB) drafted in.... Keeper should be next. Really hoping that come the 1st of July we see a few more players signed on the dotted line.

lord bunberry
28-06-2012, 04:32 PM
The papers are saying brown is getting a new deal. I suppose if money is going to be tight then there are other areas of the team that need strengthened more

--------
28-06-2012, 04:34 PM
With Stack released and my understanding that Brown has yet to be offered a new contrct, does this mean that we currently have an open goal to defend?

I have to admit that as far as recruitment goes I am seriously concerned.

Given that our deficiencies were obvious last season, and that it could be argued that we are in an even numerically worse state after the end fo the season, I had expected more than one player to have been signed by this time.

We may haeveemptied some players who many thouoght (myself included) were undermining the club ''çulture"..but I havent seen any suitbale replacements.

Or am I not just trusting in Pat enough, and fans like me just have to be patient etc, etc, etc?
i

Short answer - NO.

Not an experienced senior keeper, anyway.

Though I'm reasonably sure (sort of) that we'll have one in time for the new season. (I think ....) :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
28-06-2012, 05:28 PM
The papers are saying brown is getting a new deal. I suppose if money is going to be tight then there are other areas of the team that need strengthened more

Read that Today, and it did not excite me....Not convinced by Brown in any way, shape or form....

Franck Stanton
28-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Sorry, but I have to disagree, having a quality keeper is THE most important part of the team. Think back to the dark days of Alex Millers time in charge,[ I know it's painful, but bear with me], we had a really gash team but had good keepers, [ Goram, Leighton], who, due to their heroics, kept us in the SPL. In short, a quality keeper can be worth 12-16ish point a season. No point scoring 4 goals a game, [some hope], and conceeding 5.

Forza Fred
28-06-2012, 07:34 PM
. In short, a quality keeper can be worth 12-16ish point a season. No point scoring 4 goals a game, [some hope], and conceeding 5.

Or 6 as some would recall, against Motherwell a couple of sesons back.

No sooner did Nishy score them, than Smith threw the ball in the back of our net.
Having said that, and althuogh I appear to be in the smallest of minorities, I quite like Brown, and always thought that he was better than Stack - I'd at least like SOME goalie signed up.

lord bunberry
28-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree, having a quality keeper is THE most important part of the team. Think back to the dark days of Alex Millers time in charge,[ I know it's painful, but bear with me], we had a really gash team but had good keepers, [ Goram, Leighton], who, due to their heroics, kept us in the SPL. In short, a quality keeper can be worth 12-16ish point a season. No point scoring 4 goals a game, [some hope], and conceeding 5.

i agree up to a point but i think that brown is a decent keeper who was considered good enough to get a big move to celtic. my point is that if we have very little money then it should be spent in other areas

Speedway
28-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Not sure Brown will start next season.

GordonHFC
28-06-2012, 08:14 PM

That's twice you've said that Speedway. Spill them ?

DH1875
28-06-2012, 08:17 PM

2 year deal so looks like he will.

Scouse Hibee
28-06-2012, 08:33 PM

Brown hasn't been chucking them in every week either! All too often at Hibs we blame our crap defence on the keeper, more than happy to start with Brown myself.

ian cruise
28-06-2012, 11:24 PM
2 year deal so looks like he will.

Difference between signing and starting. I think speedway means he wont start season as first pick for no.1 jersey.