PDA

View Full Version : Tannadice stewarding

Sect43
26-06-2012, 04:35 PM
In recent seasons there have been complaints from Hibs fans after trips to Tannadice, about the way stewards treat the away support. The last game at Tannadice saw stewards being very heavy handed towards fans, who were doing nothing more than standing at the back of the stand and singing. Banners and flags that are in no way offensive were either denied access or were not allowed to be hung up. It was a final straw for some fans who felt it was not fair paying good money to go there, to be treated this way. On this grounds Sect43 sent this e-mail to Dundee United FC today stating that until changes are made, the group will not be making the trip to Dundee.

Sect43 is looking forward to another season, and aims to improve atmospheres even further, however staff at Tannadice seem reluctant to allow this acceptable level of support, and on this basis it was agreed by members of Sect43 to take this course of action.

FAO Ron West – Stadium Manager & Spence Anderson – Company Secretary

In recent seasons a large number of Hibs fans have left Tannadice after games angered at the way our fans are treated inside your stadium. The stewarding inside the ground is by far the most intolerant that we have ever come across, and leaves several supporters not wanting to go back and be treated the same season after season.

Fans want to go to games and support the team via standing up to sing, wave flags and get right behind the players, especially after paying good money to watch the game. However, stewards at Tannadice seem very quick in their approach to take down banners, and demand fans sit down or face ejection from the stadium.

The heavy handedness of your stewards is inline with how 'nightclub bouncers' would act when a brawl breaks out.

After being treated increasingly poorly at the last encounter at Tannadice, it was a last resort for many fans who will now not return. Several fans have travelled up to Dundee and spent their money only to be refused entry or ejected. The number of the refusals/ejections is extremely high compared to when you look at the number of arrests.

Section 43 will be boycotting Tannadice until the ways of the stewards are changed drastically, allowing fans to stand (only if back rows not impeding other fans’ view), sing and wave flags. We will also be encouraging other fans amongst our support to do the same.

Several other clubs such as Hibs, Motherwell, Inverness, Kilmarnock and Dunfermline have encouraged the away support to bring a vast array of colour and noise and use a common sense approach when stewarding. Each of those grounds being a far more enjoyable experience than Tannadice.

We would like to think that Dundee United Football Club will look very carefully into this, and ensure that measures are taken to improve the matchday experience for fans not only of Hibs, but others in the SPL. It is heavily documented about the fiasco when over 55 Motherwell supporters were refused entry last season.

Once this has been addressed we will consider returning to games at Tannadice, but for now we will be staying away from the ground and will actively encourage others to do so.

Regards,

Section 43

The response was as follows.

Thank you for your E mail, regarding the points raised can I refer you to the Ground Regulations issued by the SPL, SFA and SFL regarding conduct within a football stadium which are displayed at all grounds throughout Scotland and at Easter Road and I also refer you to the Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds again highlighting crowd behaviour. Your final point regarding the visit of Motherwell fans and the so called fiasco it is not for me to say or comment but Tayside Police were heavily involved in several incident involving serious criminality in a village where the bus stopped involving this so called 55 prior to them arriving at Tannadice.

muzzhfc
26-06-2012, 04:40 PM
let us know what/if they respond

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Also you should have mentioned the stand is a bloody death trap when entering or leaving the place. They should house away fans in the stand behind the goal, and leave that contraption they call a stand as the last place they put paying customers.

Hibs90
26-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Boycotting supporting the team because of a few 'mental' stewards? Ridiculous.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-06-2012, 04:42 PM
What was the response?

blackpoolhibs

Maybe they are just looking for an excuse to not watch Hibs? :tee hee:

wearethehibs
Fully agree with everything said in that. But my love for Hibs will probably still see me going to this game. A lot of just refused to sit at the last game there and they eventually gave up. But they are far to strict and heavy handed there.

Bobby's Cinema
26-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Many bigger issues surrounding the club and Scottish football just now. Surely better that the team run out to a packed away end on the first game of the season. You want to empty the ground on the first Sunday game where Sky will see where the moneys going? Very Celtic-like. Crazy :crazy:

bingo70
26-06-2012, 04:45 PM
How many fans will section 43 normally take to away games?

Tbh I personally think your taking yourselves too seriously, if you enjoy going then go if you find you don't enjoy going to tannadice then don't go but sending open letters threatening of boycotts is a bit much.

You're not allowed to stand at football grounds so I don't think you'll get much of an apologetic response from them on that one.

Beefster
26-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Tbh I personally think your taking yourselves too seriously

Saved me from typing it. There's too many folk positioning themselves to be the 'voice of the support' these days.

Dundee Utd have just stood shoulder to shoulder with Hibs to do what we all demanded. The response - the threat of a boycott.

Hibee Ryan
26-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I can see where you are coming from but not going to the game should be the last option to take! I think the away day experience at Tannadice would be improved no end by moving fans to behind the goals, and putting any extra United fans to the corner if need be. They let Old Firm fans do it so why not everyone else? And the whole Celtic end was standing at the recent 1-0 United win, I'm sure the stewards didn't do much about that!

Just seems to me like some clowns that get a jacket, a badge and are told they're in charge of the crowd and go mental with it....:rolleyes:

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Hibs Ultras!

frazeHFC
26-06-2012, 04:52 PM
There is a response in the first post.

People saying just don't go, rather than send e-mails. That isn't going to solve anything. The purpose is in hope that the club would change their ways, so fans can go and be treated better.

And 'voice of the support'. It says that Section 43 are going to boycott, which most of its members will.

DarrenSQH
26-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Never had any problems at all with Dundee. Always one of the better away games. They also stood up to rangers.

I will be there first game of the season.

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I can see where you are coming from but not going to the game should be the last option to take! I think the away day experience at Tannadice would be improved no end by moving fans to behind the goals, and putting any extra United fans to the corner if need be. They let Old Firm fans do it so why not everyone else? And the whole Celtic end was standing at the recent 1-0 United win, I'm sure the stewards didn't do much about that!

Just seems to me like some clowns that get a jacket, a badge and are told they're in charge of the crowd and go mental with it....:rolleyes:

I agree with all that Ryan, and you only have to look to your right at tannadice to see the home fans standing all game behind the goal.

Stewards do a difficult job, mainly because they take stick all day long. All every football fan asks for is to be treated the same as all fans are treated, thats clearly not the case at tannadice.

Planet Hibs
26-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Timing seems strange for this one sect43, whilst the stewarding was poor the over riding decision for me to go is the fact united said no to newco, I think we should pack out our end and if stewarding is an issue once more act upon it the following week via hibs

wearethehibs
26-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Hibs Ultras!

Tbf mate this is the sort of things a lot of ultras groups do abroad. Its noticed a lot more though, due to the larger numbers.

I would boycott the game if I thought it would make any difference.

And im not missing the 1st game of the new season.

bingo70
26-06-2012, 04:56 PM
How will you know if they've listened to your email and made changes if you've all boycotted?

Beefster
26-06-2012, 04:59 PM
There is a response in the first post.

People saying just don't go, rather than send e-mails. That isn't going to solve anything. The purpose is in hope that the club would change their ways, so fans can go and be treated better.

And 'voice of the support'. It says that Section 43 are going to boycott, which most of its members will.

So, after all the discussion recently about backing the SPL clubs who vote against Sevco5088 getting entry to the SPL, the first thing that Section 43 is going to do is boycott one of them because they wouldn't let the back row stand or hang your flags up?

Seems reasonable.

Shrekko
26-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Tbh I personally think your taking yourselves too seriously

Totally agree. Being able to jump up and down like dafties seems to be more important than what's on the field for this group. If you don't want to support the team because you've been asked to sit down for the majority of the game I'm not taking you seriously as a Hibee.

Stewards are generally trying to make sure the club is complying with admittedly daft legislation... and lets face it, some of the fans they have to deal with would maybe suggest that there's two sides to every story with the truth being somewhere in the middle. I really doubt any SPL club is going to refuse entry or eject someone from their ground unless they're acting like a total fanny.

Is sect43 a spokesperson for the whole group?

joe breezy
26-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I hate anyone telling me to sit down at football but it happens at more places than Tannadice

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2012, 05:03 PM
So, after all the discussion recently about backing the SPL clubs who vote against Sevco5088 getting entry to the SPL, the first thing that Section 43 is going to do is boycott one of them because they wouldn't let the back row stand or hang your flags up?

Seems reasonable.

I personally dont see what Dundee United voting along with Hibs has to do with a group of fans wanting treated the same as the home fans, when they visit their ground? :confused:

Dirkster23
26-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Seems reasonable. :agree:

Have the stewards at ER not got a bad name for how they've treated some away supporters? We better hope these teams don't start boycotting ER.

Hibee Ryan
26-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I agree with all that Ryan, and you only have to look to your right at tannadice to see the home fans standing all game behind the goal.

Stewards do a difficult job, mainly because they take stick all day long. All every football fan asks for is to be treated the same as all fans are treated, thats clearly not the case at tannadice.

Completely agree with your last sentence!

I was at the Tannadice game on the 24th December this season. There was about 30 people standing on the very back 2 rows and about 7 stewards came up to get them to sit down, which just seems OTT since they weren't causing anyone harm. Also it wasn't as though 1 came up and more came to back him up they all formed at the bottom and marched up together almost to intimidated the fans which to me is the opposite of what stewarding is about. It just creates a horrible atmosphere and there was less singing after that!

I found it quite laughable watching the Celtic fans doing the Poznan and there was 100's of flags at that game too when we were told we weren't even allowed to stand

hibs0666
26-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Circumstances permitting, I'll be there. :thumbsup:

John_the_angus_hibby
26-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Hate when I have to sit and hate heavy handed stewarding, but letters and threatened boycotts are a bit...yammish? Just feels off. But that may be just me.

Stantons Angel
26-06-2012, 05:23 PM

I find this verging on the ridiculous! There are far more serious issues surrounding us, as football supporters already and its not even the start of the season yet!

When you pay for entry to a fully seated stadium, you are aware of the current health and safety regulations in respect of standing at football games.

From where i was sitting at the games at Tannadice, young guys standing at the back and sitting/standing in the first row with banners etc, were repeatedly asked to sit in the seats they had paid for.

Unfortunately some chose to display their "wit" and lack of vocabulary, whilst surrounded by friends, which did not help the situation at all and was very annoying to supporters sitting trying to watch the game that was going on around them.

I'm all for helping make a better atmosphere at games and like what is being done to improve the match day experience for us all.
The display at the cup final was amazing and i did comment on this after that game!

Some of the comments in the email i can agree with too, but to boycott the first game of a new season is ridiculous lads!

How many of your group will actually sit at home on the day listening to the radio, instead of being there with the rest of us Hibs' supporters supporting our team?

We are being called upon by the club to help support them and the team through what is going to be another difficult season but how can we do this sitting at home listening to the game on the radio?

The club has reached out and welcomed your ideas and taken your views on board. I'm sure they wouldn't agree with their supporters staying away from games because some cant stand in an all seated stadium.

Be careful if you want the club to continue"working together" with you. Things like this and the reasoning behind them can really have an adverse effect on your credibility.

Its some welcome to give new players on their first real game for the team. Get up there and do what you do best, support your team!

At The Edge
26-06-2012, 05:24 PM
:agree:

Have the stewards at ER not got a bad name for how they've treated some away supporters? We better hope these teams don't start boycotting ER.

Maybe in the past, last season though, away fans were allowed to stand as long as they were not blocking another fans view who wanted to sit down,

frazeHFC
26-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes there are ground rules, but none of them say singing or having banners is not permitted, unless offensive.

givescotlandfreedom
26-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm not a member of a fan group nor do I stand unless everyone else is but Tannadice was a disaster waiting to happen on Christmas Eve. They let far too many Hibs fans into the upstairs section - with the downstairs area being full too - and there was a situation where there was no room to move and nowhere to move to. They must have dithered because this went on for the best part of ten minutes with people stood and sat in the aisles including old folk and kids. Eventually they were allowed into the vast empty area to our right and the steward set about making folk at the back sit down when they themselves (by letting too many in) had forced others to.
Apart from that the escape route is far too narrow an there's no other way to go from the upper tier to the lower one. I don't know how they get away with it.

Emerald
26-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Have I got this right? The stewards are instructed to make sure fans in a seated area are abiding by the rules and sit down so others behind can see the game. But because the stewards get a biy annoyed when fans ignore them and break the rules, you want a boycott of Tannadice? Regardles of what you think about sitting or standing, this is just crazy!

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Have I got this right? The stewards are instructed to make sure fans in a seated area are abiding by the rules and sit down so others behind can see the game. But because the stewards get a biy annoyed when fans ignore them and break the rules, you want a boycott of Tannadice? Regardles of what you think about sitting or standing, this is just crazy!

You are indeed correct, although why do they ignore the stand to our right behind the goal? Could it be because its home fans, why are our fans treated differently? :confused:

IWasThere2016
26-06-2012, 05:39 PM
20 mins from the door - I'll be there :greengrin

No in favour of the boycott but there is a glaring contradiction in the standing of away and home fans at Tannadice. The queueing/gates/turnstiles are farcical also - "bettered" only by the complete imcompetence at EEP :agree:

hibee
26-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I understand why people want to stand at games but until there's a dedicated area I'm grateful to those who try and get fans to sit down as it's a nightmare for people like me who take young kids when they can't see anything. No reason to stop the back rows from standing though.

I stopped visiting Tannadice many years ago though and probably won't be back until they provide proper seats for us!

JohnStephens91
26-06-2012, 05:43 PM
To be fair if they ask you to sit down then I would do it. Irrespective of what the home fans are doing, remember they may have certain sections where fans are allowed to stand, much like our Section 43. With the banners I would have just e-mailed a complaint stating that the stewards were not letting you in with them or allowing them to be on display in a manner which is not coming over as aggressive.

truehibernian
26-06-2012, 05:44 PM
20 mins from the door - I'll be there :greengrin

No in favour of the boycott but there is a glaring contradiction in the standing of away and home fans at Tannadice. The queueing/gates/turnstiles are farcical also - "bettered" only by the complete imcompetence at EEP :agree:

Would agree with that TQM.

Saying that, the best experiences I've had recently were a midweek game at Accies where we pretty much all stood, and at Perth for the Wotherspoon equaliser game. Stewards were brand new both games given a sizeable Hibs crowd at both.

Yuillsy
26-06-2012, 05:55 PM
I like sect43 and i applaud the fact they try to bring a bit of atmosphere to what has been a very boring Easter Road lately. However I'm starting to think they're getting far to big for their boots.
They seem to be taking it upon themselves to speak for everyone as if they are the only supporters that matter.
I sit at games it's the law whether you agree with it or not and there's nothing worse than repeatedly having to ask someone in front of you to sit down.
Threats of boycotts because you're not allowed to stand are imo a joke and an embarrassment.
Keep up the atmosphere guys and of course your excellent displays but please stop all threats of boycotts and concentrate on what you're good at, supporting the club we all love.
They need us all now more than ever!

frazeHFC
26-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Seems most are focusing on the standing. That's only a part of it.

Makaveli
26-06-2012, 06:01 PM
The voice threatening a boycott isn't claiming to speak for the whole support. I'll probably still go but fair play to people who try and change things.

Away fans should be treated the same way whether they're from Edinburgh or Glasgow, which hasn't been the case. Leaving aside the bile they sing, you never see stewards taking banners from them or getting them to sit. Hibs fans (and everyone bar the OF tbh) are viewed as a soft touch.

As Fenlon says, it's about time we started standing up to people.

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2012, 06:04 PM
The voice threatening a boycott isn't claiming to speak for the whole support. I'll probably still go but fair play to people who try and change things.

Away fans should be treated the same way whether they're from Edinburgh or Glasgow, which hasn't been the case. Leaving aside the bile they sing, you never see stewards taking banners from them or getting them to sit. Hibs fans (and everyone bar the OF tbh) are viewed as a soft touch.

Well said, i agree with every word. :top marks

jgl07
26-06-2012, 06:11 PM
The only problem I have ever experienced at Tannadice was the stewards try to restrict the Hibs support to the only part of the stand. You had to be a midget with no legs to sit comfortably there. There were empty orange seats in the corner but these were taped off. Eventually they relented and opened up the area. That was about fifteen years ago.

It all seems rather petulant to 'demand' that the stewards do not attempt to enforce the legal requirements.

The whole future of Scottish football is under threat and all a few self indulgant martinettes are concerned with is being allowed to stand.

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2012, 06:14 PM
The only problem I have ever experienced at Tannadice was the stewards try to restrict the Hibs support to the only part of the stand. You had to be a midget with no legs to sit comfortably there. There were empty orange seats in the corner but these were taped off. Eventually they relented and opened up the area. That was about fifteen years ago.

It all seems rather petulant to 'demand' that the stewards do not attempt to enforce the legal requirements.

The whole future of Scottish football is under threat and all a few self indulgant martinettes are concerned with is being allowed to stand.

Why are some allowed to stand, yet others at the same game not? Do you not think we should all be treated the same, i dont stand but i can see they have a point?

tamig
26-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Why are some allowed to stand, yet others at the same game not? Do you not think we should all be treated the same, i dont stand but i can see they have a point?

It is quite strange that the home crowd behind the goal seem to be allowed to stand freely. The main thing about Tannadice though is the old main stand that we get. It seems to be much steeper and the old wooden seats which have battered my shins many a time aren't really conducive to standing. In saying that, ground rules apply to the whole ground - not different rules depending on the state of the individual stands.

The OP should respond to the reply from DUFC and simply ask why the same rules re standing don't apply to the home support behind the goal to the right of the main stand. Would be interesting to see their comeback on that one.

Just Alf
26-06-2012, 07:06 PM
The OP should respond to the reply from DUFC and simply ask why the same rules re standing don't apply to the home support behind the goal to the right of the main stand. Would be interesting to see their comeback on that one.

This!

Simple and to the point. Also difficult to argue against in the future if repeated.

bingo70
26-06-2012, 07:10 PM
It is quite strange that the home crowd behind the goal seem to be allowed to stand freely. The main thing about Tannadice though is the old main stand that we get. It seems to be much steeper and the old wooden seats which have battered my shins many a time aren't really conducive to standing. In saying that, ground rules apply to the whole ground - not different rules depending on the state of the individual stands.

This!

Simple and to the point. Also difficult to argue against in the future if repeated.

I think i read on here the singing section at Easter Road are allowed to stand so the Dundee Utd fans probably ask the same thing when they come to Easter Rd.

Just Alf
26-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I think i read on here the singing section at Easter Road are allowed to stand so the Dundee Utd fans probably ask the same thing when they come to Easter Rd.

Very Fair point .... Some investigation required. :D

snooky
26-06-2012, 07:19 PM

The OP may have a valid point however, why bring this up now?
If ever there was a moment in the history of our game where unity is a priority, it's now.

Sorry, but we don't need any boat rocking while there's a swell on.

Dashing Bob S
26-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I think, given the current situation and the solidarity DUFC and other clubs have shown against the Huns, its a bit lame and untimely to start talking about boycotts for this sort of thing. Every away support in the SPL seems to get treated like shee-ite by police and stewards. I recall a couple of seasons ago cringing in the East, as they harassed a group of ICT fans for doing nothing more than having a laugh and robustly supporting their club.

In the new-found spirit of togetherness, we should be reaching out to other supporters groups to flag this up as a general issue, and be thinking about a combined response, and possibly an agreed code of conduct.

Far more positive than refusing to support your own team.

clerriehibs
26-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Never had any problems at all with Dundee. Always one of the better away games. They also stood up to rangers.

I will be there first game of the season.

Are you that convinced that Dundee will get the thumbs up to take the place of "Club 12" next season? If they are, they'll actually be at Rugby Park on the opening game ... :greengrin

Capt Mainwaring
26-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I think, given the current situation and the solidarity DUFC and other clubs have shown against the Huns, its a bit lame and untimely to start talking about boycotts for this sort of thing. Every away support in the SPL seems to get treated like shee-ite by police and stewards. I recall a couple of seasons ago cringing in the East, as they harassed a group of ICT fans for doing nothing more than having a laugh and robustly supporting their club.

In the new-found spirit of togetherness, we should be reaching out to other supporters groups to flag this up as a general issue, and be thinking about a combined response, and possibly an agreed code of conduct.

Says it all for me :agree:

Scouse Hibee
Interesting stance on boycotting the game, never thought it would be that easy to get rid of folk who refuse to sit down!

Iggy Pope
Tannadice has been my favourite away trip for 30-odd years, back to when you could get a 10p transfer to the Stand and their pies and soup were out of this world.

This 'boycott' approach is sounded off all too frequently and is as tiresome as these open letters of complaint.
All a bit Mike Riley quite frankly.

If you don't want to go to the opening game, don't go.
But it makes you a bit of a pansy.

Jonnyboy
As the S43 guys probably know, I'm a big fan of what they do and their efforts at the two Hampden games in particular highlight their commitment to the cause BUT on this occasion I'm afraid I think talk of a boycott because you're not allowed to stand up is frankly childish and detracts from the good reputation you are building for yourselves.

Strange as it may seem, it IS physically possible to sit down and sing

marinello59

Tbh I personally think your taking yourselves too seriously, if you enjoy going then go if you find you don't enjoy going to tannadice then don't go but sending open letters threatening of boycotts is a bit much.

You're not allowed to stand at football grounds so I don't think you'll get much of an apologetic response from them on that one.

:top marks
Apart from anything else the timing for this is pretty poor.

Thecat23
26-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I honestly think this is ridiculous. It's an all seater stadium so just sit down. What's the fuss about? Until they bring in a standing section just for once go and sit. You can still support the team sitting down you know. Go mental as well when we score. But when there are others who maybe can't or don't want to stand sitting behind someone who does and then refuses to sit down its all a pain in the jam roll and can get out of hand.

Scouse Hibee
26-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I honestly think this is ridiculous. It's an all seater stadium so just sit down. What's the fuss about? Until they bring in a standing section just for once go and sit. You can still support the team sitting down you know. Go mental as well when we score. But when there are others who maybe can't or don't want to stand sitting behind someone who does and then refuses to sit down its all a pain in the jam roll and can get out of hand.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Tbf mate this is the sort of things a lot of ultras groups do abroad. Its noticed a lot more though, due to the larger numbers.

Strangely enough, thats why I posted what I did.

Looking at the bigger picture, a boycott is the last thing any team that voted no to the newco deserve.

The guys did well with their Final display, but, self importance is rearing its ugly head here when it isn't really necessary.

JimBHibees
26-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Never heard anything so ridiculous in my life especially the timing given the NEWCO vote. Incredible self indulgence.

HibbyDave
26-06-2012, 07:56 PM
NO.

That would be counter productive. DUFC along with hibs want Sporting Integrity not small minded actions. Support HIBS.
That is all.

:flag::flag::flag:

Eyrie
26-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Absolutely ridiculous.

As has been said by other posters, there should be solidarity between fans of those six clubs who have publicly opposed Sevco 5088. The concerns could have been discussed with Dundee Utd without petty threats of a boycott.

shagpile
26-06-2012, 08:06 PM

The only thing i have a problem with at Tannadice is the fact that they are never, ever prepared for the [usually large] Hibs support. How many times these last few years have they struggled to get people into the ground.many are still standing waiting for stewards to find seats for them. I remember one midweek game they had to open up the old stand in the corner above the dressing rooms!
As someone has pointed out it would make sense to give us the shed end. last time we were in there was a cup tie IIRC & the place was bouncing.

Sudds_1
26-06-2012, 08:14 PM

yep...bordering on the anarchic. Football is about going to watch your team......after der Hun, that becomes even more significant as the rest of the meeja watch scotland to see if the prophets of doom are right.

......and first game of the season? Tumbleweed and knowing noddding of heads.

Crazy.

Holmesdale Hibs
26-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Can't see many people, myself included, boycotting a game because of bad stewarding. They're consistently over-aggressive at most grounds in the SPL, including Easter Road. It's just one of the many obstacles in the way of an ideal football experience in Scotland.

Maybe if more people complained then we would have less confrontational stewards that were willing to show some common sense. So good luck with the complaint, I hope they listen, but I don't like your chances of a positive response from united or a significant boycott.

matty_f
26-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I understand the sentiment but surely this isn't the time to boycott clubs? All of the Scottish clubs are going to need fans coming through the turnstyles in bigger numbers than recent years just to survive because of the impact of Rangers' demise.

For once, I think it's vital that Scottish football supporters stand together for the greater good. I'll certainly be making an effort to get to more away games this season.

Hovehibby
26-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Couple of points looking through the posts:

If the stewards around sect 43 allow standing, it's up to them, but you can hardly expect stewards at other grounds to act the same way. It is, after all, against SPL rules - the hibs stewards bend the rules to allow sect 43 to stand and sing. I sit in the west, directly opposite sect 43, and i think it makes for a better atmosphere when they let you stand up. Yes, the hibs stewards do let some away fans stand up, but you can't blame other clubs for not bending this rule.

I remember the Dunfermline game at the end of the season when a dunfy fan in the front row was ejected for jumping the barriers and throwing the ball towards the corner flag to speed up play as we were time-wasting - and his mate (possibly kid) had to leave at the same time. The hibs fans (rightly so, IMO), gave the stewards pelters for that. The hibs stewards can be just as bad as at other grounds.

Lastly, IMHO boycotting an away ground when every club (bar celtic) needs as many home and away support to attend with Scotland's Shame being binned isn't the way forward. We should be taking as many fans as we can to show the tramps that Scottish Football can survive and flourish without them. I live in Brighton, but I'm renewing next year and will get to as many away games as the wife will let me.

The_Horde
26-06-2012, 10:17 PM
The stewards in Dundee are power hungry jobsworths who make it their own mission to chuck as many away fans out as they possibly can. I was thrown out of tannadice not long ago basically for being on the end of a row of hibbies singing songs at Goodwillie, even the polis at the time agreed that the steward was being a dingle and i can't remember a time at tannadice recently when the stewards haven't spoken to someone in my vicinity for next to nothing.

I would definitely consider a boycott but only if it was worth it (ie. in numbers) otherwise it's pretty pointless, especially on the first game of the season where it will be the first chance to see any new signings in competitive action.

NAE NOOKIE
26-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I sympathise with sect 43, not so much on the standing thing, but taking down banners etc seems a bit OTT.

However .... if there was ever a time not to boycott an away ground its now, every SPL cub is going to need as many away fans as possible next season.

There has been talk recently about allowing the introduction of standing sections at SPL grounds. Section 43 would be better advised trying to gather support from other clubs fans for the introduction of these. But a boycott NOW no no no.

Mind you ... I understand why sect 43 are getting upset ... its no fair that The Rangers fans will be allowed to stand at all their away games next season.

Rossco1875
26-06-2012, 10:20 PM
;3276038']the stewards in dundee are power hungry jobsworths who make it their own mission to chuck as many away fans out as they possibly can. I was thrown out of tannadice not long ago basically for being on the end of a row of hibbies singing songs at goodwillie, even the polis at the time agreed that the steward was being a dingle and i can't remember a time at tannadice recently when the stewards haven't spoken to someone in my vicinity for next to nothing.

I would definitely consider a boycott but only if it was worth it (ie. In numbers) otherwise it's pretty pointless, especially on the first game of the season where it will be the first chance to see any new signings in competitive action.

beast

The_Horde
26-06-2012, 10:23 PM
beast

ltyf.

Billy Whizz
26-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I think this game may be all ticket with the clamour to show solidarity to the other SPL clubs!

capitals_finest
26-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Well done to S43 members for speaking up.

Tannadice is a horrible stadium to visit.

sadtom
26-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I agree with those who have stated there are far bigger issues at the mo'.
The levels of solidarity and bonhomie between fans of most of the clubs has been encouraging and has been pivotal in serving justice and preserving what credibility and integrity is left in the Scottish game.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't stand up for our supporters or seek to improve our lot in general. However this strikes me as a battle (make that 'skirmish') for another day.
I am going to do my best to get to as many away games as possible this season as a mark of respect, and to show solidarity with my fellow football supporting brothers and sisters (yes even those hertz c****. :greengrin) from the clubs who have stood up to the threats and intimidation spewed on a daily basis, by the huns and their apologists.

Lungo--Drom
26-06-2012, 11:27 PM
If Dundee get into the SPL then you can still boycott Tannadice but still go for a day out to Dundee for the football by going to Dens Park instead :)

wee hay
27-06-2012, 12:50 AM
so cause you can't put a flag up your boycotting a game? Its not a flag they need its your voices that are heard?

Hermit Crab
27-06-2012, 05:12 AM
At the end of the day they've got you buy the short and curlys as standing is against the rules and you can't complain about being asked to sit down in an all seater stadium even If you are in the back row. It says so in the ground rilles and regulations and in some cases it tells you on your match ticket. Petty, yes I think it is, but I guess some clubs are more tolerant than others when it comes to standing.

cad
27-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Rules are rules I agree but it does annoy you off when the home fans are standing etc and the same gusto by stewards isnt applied ,we should all be pulling together at this time , but if your not happy for whatever reason vote with your feet simples .

The other issue about never being ready for the Hibs support rings true a few seasons ago I was stuck outside for about 25 mins,
X amount of turnstiles open, missed the first 10 mins then shoehorned into the stand that you have about 4 inches of space between your seat and the one in front,your knees digging into the guy in front, sitting to one side trying to get comfortable , gave it a miss last season for the first time in years great away day to.
Is there more space in the seating area behind the goals ? Celtic and NewCo when they visit dont seem to have any problems .

HibeeSince85
27-06-2012, 06:51 AM
The only thing i have a problem with at Tannadice is the fact that they are never, ever prepared for the [usually large] Hibs support. How many times these last few years have they struggled to get people into the ground.many are still standing waiting for stewards to find seats for them. I remember one midweek game they had to open up the old stand in the corner above the dressing rooms!
As someone has pointed out it would make sense to give us the shed end. last time we were in there was a cup tie IIRC & the place was bouncing.

Did Brebner no get a hat-trick?

Colin Samuel ripped the **** a new one that day too, I remember as the goals were filtering through we all sang his name. The whole stand was bouncing with the Hibee bounce at the end.

Boycotting is a naff idea by the way!

JohnStephens91
27-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Did Brebner no get a hat-trick?

Colin Samuel ripped the **** a new one that day too, I remember as the goals were filtering through we all sang his name. The whole stand was bouncing with the Hibee bounce at the end.

Boycotting is a naff idea by the way!

You were right: http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,,-41356,00.html

HibeeSince85
27-06-2012, 07:02 AM
You were right: http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,,-41356,00.html

First time for everything I guess :greengrin

Weir7
27-06-2012, 07:12 AM
In recent seasons there have been complaints from Hibs fans after trips to Tannadice, about the way stewards treat the away support. The last game at Tannadice saw stewards being very heavy handed towards fans, who were doing nothing more than standing at the back of the stand and singing. Banners and flags that are in no way offensive were either denied access or were not allowed to be hung up. It was a final straw for some fans who felt it was not fair paying good money to go there, to be treated this way. On this grounds Sect43 sent this e-mail to Dundee United FC today stating that until changes are made, the group will not be making the trip to Dundee.

Sect43 is looking forward to another season, and aims to improve atmospheres even further, however staff at Tannadice seem reluctant to allow this acceptable level of support, and on this basis it was agreed by members of Sect43 to take this course of action.

Place has been a shambles for years. They let old firm fans stand. That ****ty old stand has zero leg room. Never enough turnstiles open. Leads to the shambles we had on boxing day

jodjam
27-06-2012, 07:15 AM
I like going up there so no boycott from me. I also helped "contribute" to the fair play stand as i went over to gothenburg with some utd fans. Due to the good behaviour they received a cash award and put some of it to the stand.

Weir7
27-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Also you should have mentioned the stand is a bloody death trap when entering or leaving the place. They should house away fans in the stand behind the goal, and leave that contraption they call a stand as the last place they put paying customers.

Don't know how they manage to get a safety certificate for it

marinello59
27-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Don't know how they manage to get a safety certificate for it

Don't go then. There will plenty of others there on opening day to back the team. Our support could be vital to get a new look team off to a decent start. I can't wait to be honest.

Weir7
27-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Don't go then. There will plenty of others there on opening day to back the team. Our support could be vital to get a new look team off to a decent start. I can't wait to be honest.

I,ll decide

Greentinted
27-06-2012, 07:53 AM
After a shaky start, the S43 element has been embraced by the bulk of the Hibs support but this 'protest/threat' appears to smack of self-important postulating which in turn may result in other fans turning off the goodwill tap.

The bottom line is that the ground regs and legislation require that standing at football (in the upper echelons of the game) be prohibited - whether we like it or not, those are the rules and we all agree to abide by them when we purchase a ticket or pay at the gate.

As regards the inconsistencies highlighted perhaps those voicing their chagrin could directly contact the various stewarding companies employed by the clubs we visit and respectfully ask for answers re the disparity in treatment.

Hibs7
27-06-2012, 07:54 AM
That seems a bit strong, all teams left after the Rankgers should support each other to prove the bigots are not needed, not going to grounds because if stewarding issues should be taken up at the grounds with photo evidence.

Hainan Hibs
27-06-2012, 08:09 AM
I think Sect43 have to reign themselves in, it's cringeworthy reading the original post especially at this time.

We have the number of clubs we need to say no to "Sevco", and that should be a signal to all of us to get right behind the club and others like UTD and get along to places like Tannadice in numbers to ensure we all prosper without one side of the Old Firm.

The clubs are doing what we asked, if we stop going to away games because we can't stand or put up flags the clubs would be well within their right to vote Sevco back in and tell us to shove it.

lyonhibs
27-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Slightly confused as to why a group of supporters would feel it appropriate or newsworthy to tell the other 95% of .net board users that they weren't going to Tannadice next season. Do you think our away support will crumble without you or something??

You've done - and continue to do I'm sure - some great work, but the OP reeks of "ideas above your station" IMO

Wind yer necks in, as has been said elsewhere.

Hibernian Verse
27-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Slightly confused as to why a group of supporters would feel it appropriate or newsworthy to tell the other 95% of .net board users that they weren't going to Tannadice next season. Do you think our away support will crumble without you or something??

You've done - and continue to do I'm sure - some great work, but the OP reeks of "ideas above your station" IMO

Wind yer necks in, as has been said elsewhere.

Because its section 43, they need to be in the limelight!

bawheid
27-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Self-important bullsh*t that has been so badly timed that you wonder if the group's organisers have a grasp on the current reality in Scottish football.

There may be a battle to be had on safe standing at football matches, and this may form part of the alterations that are sure to be discussed and implemented over the next three or four years.

But threatening a fellow member club - one which has stood shoulder to shoulder with us over the Newco Rangers issue - is utterly deplorable in my opinion.

I wasn't sure if I would go to Tannadice on the opening day. I definitely will now.

Andy74
27-06-2012, 09:38 AM
This is crazy. If you are looking for clubs to turn a blind eye then that's one thing but expecting them to be able to confirm to you that they will not apply the regulations in place for football stadiums is just plain daft.

I've thought at a few games that this isn't about supporting Hibs for many, it's being able to circumvent as many rules as you can during a game and telling everyone that 'we do what we want'.

There's a lot of good things that whatever name this comes under now have been doing, but this sort of thing is pathetic. You can sing and support whether you are told to sit, stand, go withour flags, whatever.

Very poor timing as well.

Hiber-nation
27-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Just to add to what the majority have said - how big a deal actually is this? Can Section 43 not do what the rest of us do and simply adapt? In times like these supporting the team has to be the main aim irrespective of other clubs' petty regulations. Time to reconsider lads.

Chuck Rhoades
27-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I feel the statement has sent the wrong message with the wrong tone at the wrong time. Spoke in length to several members last night about it and we realise our stance wasn't the best.

Mistake has been made, learn and move on as we always do. We will learn by our mistakes, not let them crush us. This is a massive obstacle we now have to overcome at a time where our full concentration should be on organising next seasons displays.

As noted above, will continue discussions with others over the next week about the situation.

resident_Arab
27-06-2012, 10:49 AM

Those old wooden seats were replaced 2 or 3 years ago with Tangerine plastic ones.

The home fans are always told to sit down, but some games, mainly bigger games or festive games, the whole of the bottom tier stand and they tend to give up, the only supporters who don't get told to sit down are the ones who bring a big away support, Old Firm and Aberdeen much to the annoyance of the home support who like i said, are always told to sit down.

IanM
27-06-2012, 12:05 PM
what an opportunity missed to make a change. Why email and threaten another football club with boycott when scottish football needs a better fanbase more now than ever.

Why wasn't a well worded, constructed email sent to DUFC, noting your points but asking them to comment and reaching a compromise or at least have the opportunity to have your voices heard without a threat? I'm sure by mentioning who Sect43 are, what you do at ER and what you would like to do at Tannadice would have went down a lot better with maybe a positive reply. Turning upto tannidice early and agreeing to speak with the head steward, a tannadice rep and agreeing pre match about flags, and when standing is appropriate would have been a better request than not turning up to support Hibs.

Too late now and I hope over the next month you do all change your mind and come to the game.

Keep up the good work though, you have made a difference but can't see any full backing from hibs or the fans on this.

Barney McGrew
27-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Boycott? Behave yerselves.

Some dafties with flags on sticks taking the hump because they're not allowed to stand up aren't going to stop me going to support my team.

lucky
27-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Sect 43 are beginning to believe there own publicity. This sort of threat to clubs is better left to the old firm not a bus full of excitable teenager's and few old yins. Not Hibs class

Future17
27-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I feel the statement has sent the wrong message with the wrong tone at the wrong time. Spoke in length to several members last night about it and we realise our stance wasn't the best.

Mistake has been made, learn and move on as we always do. We will learn by our mistakes, not let them crush us. This is a massive obstacle we now have to overcome at a time where our full concentration should be on organising next seasons displays.

As noted above, will continue discussions with others over the next week about the situation.

Fair play to you mate. Mistakes will always be made. Section 43 is still a relatively young idea and still finding its feet, but I'm a big admirer of the work you guys have put in so far. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
27-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Boycott? Behave yerselves.

Some dafties with flags on sticks taking the hump because they're not allowed to stand up aren't going to stop me going to support my team.

It's laughable. Dundee United probably had a laugh too thinking just who do they think they are. Don't get me wrong I think that do some good things but a boycott. Come on guys get real.

RIP
27-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Well said Ross. The original action always looked like a rush of blood caused by some indignation over rough handling. It's early days for the group and some mistakes will be made on tactics. We have to be aware that people might view it as the opinion of a large group of Hibs Supporters rather than the opinion of 3 or 4 activists

Garry O'Hagan supported the group over the 2 Hampden games and I'm sure he will be only too happy to talk to his opposite number at Tannadice. You also have the opportunity to discuss the issue and seek advice from fellow supporters in the Let's Work Together project. I'm sure we will get this sorted without the need for anyone to miss a game

GGTTH

marinello59
27-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Well said Ross. The original action always looked like a rush of blood caused by some indignation over rough handling. It's early days for the group and some mistakes will be made on tactics. We have to be aware that people might view it as the opinion of a large group of Hibs Supporters rather than the opinion of 3 or 4 activists

Garry O'Hagan supported the group over the 2 Hampden games and I'm sure he will be only too happy to talk to his opposite number at Tannadice. You also have the opportunity to discuss the issue and seek advice from fellow supporters in the Let's Work Together project. I'm sure we will get this sorted without the need for anyone to miss a game

GGTTH

That is a rush of blood and a half then given how long it is since we played at Tannadice. :greengrin
Has the threat of a boycott now been withdrawn then or is it still there?

silverhibee
27-06-2012, 01:47 PM

Seems reasonable.

Its the response that is a bit misleading Mr Beefster, they talk about health and safety and states that you must be seated in your seat, yet they allow there own fans to stand during games behind the goals, they also allow the old/new firm to stand at games up there too, they are in large numbers and the stewards wont do anything about it because they know they are outnumbered and will get hassle, so the stewards turn a blind eye to it and the rest of the baggage that comes with these clubs.

So it seems a bit unfair that when a club with a small support that travels up to Dundee Utd is targeted by the stewards for standing at a game when it is allowed to be done by the home support and other teams, ie Ran@ers & celtc.

The stewards up there are heavy handed, i have seen it myself up there, there is no reasoning with them they just chuck you out the ground, cause a scene and they get the police involved and you may spend some time in the cells, for not sitting down, a bit harsh eh.

Dundee Utd should have one rule for every set of supporters(there own support included) that travel to there ground you all sit down or you get removed from the ground, but that seems not to be happening, they allow there own fans to stand and also ran@ers and celtc too.

So there response is a bit misleading.

If newco are in the 3rd division when the season starts in the 3rd tier of the SFL then i will be at Dundee supporting Hibs. :aok:

ancient hibee
27-06-2012, 01:56 PM
The trouble is that it's quite clear watching sport on TV like the cricket tests that more and more spectators think they're the main event.They're not.

ronaldo7
27-06-2012, 02:04 PM

GGTTH

So was it the whole of SECT 43 or just 3 to 4 activists. The OP indicates it was done for and by Sect 43.

I think you guys have been great on a number of things, and the recent visit to Hampden was a great success(off the park), however someone needs to take a lead on your group, and be accountable for their actions. The proposed boycott of Tannadichie was so Celtc.

marinello59
27-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Its the response that is a bit misleading Mr Beefster, they talk about health and safety and states that you must be seated in your seat, yet they allow there own fans to stand during games behind the goals, they also allow the old/new firm to stand at games up there too, they are in large numbers and the stewards wont do anything about it because they know they are outnumbered and will get hassle, so the stewards turn a blind eye to it and the rest of the baggage that comes with these clubs.

So it seems a bit unfair that when a club with a small support that travels up to Dundee Utd is targeted by the stewards for standing at a game when it is allowed to be done by the home support and other teams, ie Ran@ers & celtc.

The stewards up there are heavy handed, i have seen it myself up there, there is no reasoning with them they just chuck you out the ground, cause a scene and they get the police involved and you may spend some time in the cells, for not sitting down, a bit harsh eh.

Dundee Utd should have one rule for every set of supporters(there own support included) that travel to there ground you all sit down or you get removed from the ground, but that seems not to be happening, they allow there own fans to stand and also ran@ers and celtc too.

If newco are in the 3rd division when the season starts in the 3rd tier of the SFL then i will be at Dundee supporting Hibs. :aok:

Hibs turn a blind eye to Section 43 standing but will ask visiting support from the smaller teams to sit whilst the Old Firm fans get away with standing throughout. Life ain't fair is it? I therefore call on all Hibs fans to boycott ourselves. :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
27-06-2012, 02:40 PM
So was it the whole of SECT 43 or just 3 to 4 activists. The OP indicates it was done for and by Sect 43.

I think you guys have been great on a number of things, and the recent visit to Hampden was a great success(off the park), however someone needs to take a lead on your group, and be accountable for their actions. The proposed boycott of Tannadichie was so Celtc.

I think next time you fire off an email you should make sure it is proofread by a few more folk and maybe worded a wee bit differently than what it was., also as others have said before, try and contact folk at Hibs who can contact counterparts at tannadice, dont rush into things. lessons learned and all that.
We should also be giving support to teams who have also said no the newco.

Anyhoos good luck to section 43for the coming season, keep up the noise.

silverhibee
27-06-2012, 03:08 PM

:agree::agree:

Beefster
27-06-2012, 03:08 PM

According to the DU fan on this thread, they're not allowed to stand, in the main, either. As M59 pointed out, it's exactly the same at Hibs.

The stewards may well be 'heavy-handed' (although I've managed to get through life without having any major conflict with a steward) but it hardly warrants taking a tantrum because they are enforcing the rules, which has already been acknowledged by some of S43. As I said earlier, the timing was spectacularly misjudged too.

silverhibee
27-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Hibs turn a blind eye to Section 43 standing but will ask visiting support from the smaller teams to sit whilst the Old Firm fans get away with standing throughout. Life ain't fair is it? I therefore call on all Hibs fans to boycott ourselves. :greengrin

Give it a couple of seasons. :wink: :greengrin

IWasThere2016
27-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Give it a couple of seasons. :wink: :greengrin

I started years ago :wink: :greengrin

(thought I'd say it before anyone else did)

Del Boy
27-06-2012, 04:00 PM
As others have said, boycotting tannadice is a crap idea. Get behind the team in numbers from day one next season. Leave boycott threats to Celtic and newco fc.

sauzee's fan
27-06-2012, 04:22 PM
this is frankly pathetic. i myself have been seriously unimpressed with the dundee utd away fixture in recent years due to the handling of the crowd but to threaten not to go to support hibs is beyond childish. no matter what happens you always support the team. this all sect43 is nothing short of an embarressment, the old stand was 10 times better atomosphere than it is now and being honest i think its because you have this band of young 'hardcore' fans trying to call the tune. most of their songs or chants are laughable at best and pay no relation to the game in question (eg all this paedo nonsense when playing kilmarnock or motherwell). i think its time you should move to another stand and let the east return to its once pround and loud state pre this obsession with so called ultra's.its laughable

jgl07
27-06-2012, 04:25 PM
As others have said, boycotting tannadice is a crap idea. Get behind the team in numbers from day one next season. Leave boycott threats to Celtic and newco fc.

Exactly.

The 'look at me' call for a boycott is the height of immaturity.

It is the wrong battle at the wrong time.

It is up to everyone to demonstrate that Scottish Football can operate without the club formerly called Rangers.

Petty vendettas should be put to one to one side for the moment.

lyonhibs
27-06-2012, 04:40 PM
this is frankly pathetic. i myself have been seriously unimpressed with the dundee utd away fixture in recent years due to the handling of the crowd but to threaten not to go to support hibs is beyond childish. no matter what happens you always support the team. this all sect43 is nothing short of an embarressment, the old stand was 10 times better atomosphere than it is now and being honest i think its because you have this band of young 'hardcore' fans trying to call the tune. most of their songs or chants are laughable at best and pay no relation to the game in question (eg all this paedo nonsense when playing kilmarnock or motherwell). i think its time you should move to another stand and let the east return to its once pround and loud state pre this obsession with so called ultra's.its laughable

Oh god, here we go again!! :sairhead::sofa:

I don't agree with some of Sect 43's antics (smoke bombs, delusions of grandeur as per the OP of this thread and a few songs the juvenile element tried to get going a couple of times in seasons gone by) but can't really comment on recent developments as - in 2012 - I've only been to the SC semi and Final since the NY Derby debacle at ER.

But the fundamental aim of the group can't be faulted, and it seems that the club themselves is really engaging with them. If it was just a "bunch of daft wee laddies" the club would have politely told them tae GTF a long time ago.

The displays at the semi-final and particularly the final should show what a bit of funding, and a lot of effort and co-ordination on the part of Sect 43 can achieve.

Yuillsy
27-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Is it possible sect 43 unintentionally invite attention to themselves by stewards?
The fact they like to stand and sing obviously gets them notice but imo their choice of logo (the young guy with scarf covering most of his face) could be seen as something of a hooligan element.
As another poster said their song choices occasionally leave a lot to be desired particularly the chant "we are the Hibees, we'll do what we want" whenever they are approached by stewards.
I understand the group has a wide range of ages involved but as an observer it seems to be the younger element that are causing the group to be noticed for the wrong reasons and taking away all the good that they do, displays etc.
It's good to see Bouncer Ross has admitted they have made a bit of a mistake with this e-mail so hopefully they decide against any boycotts and support the team as passionately as they always have.

sauzee's fan
27-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Oh god, here we go again!! :sairhead::sofa:

I don't agree with some of Sect 43's antics (smoke bombs, delusions of grandeur as per the OP of this thread and a few songs the juvenile element tried to get going a couple of times in seasons gone by) but can't really comment on recent developments as - in 2012 - I've only been to the SC semi and Final since the NY Derby debacle at ER.

But the fundamental aim of the group can't be faulted, and it seems that the club themselves is really engaging with them. If it was just a "bunch of daft wee laddies" the club would have politely told them tae GTF a long time ago.

The displays at the semi-final and particularly the final should show what a bit of funding, and a lot of effort and co-ordination on the part of Sect 43 can achieve.

surely hibs have a PR division/person? can they coordinate special occassion displays? our own sponser showed how easy it was to distribute flags to every fan on that horrendous day in may. we always had a great reputation of a hardcore vocal support which was admired by supporters of other teams, so why the need for section 43 at all? the club should and is trying to focus on the team and a better team will create a better atmosphere its not rocket science here. ok its all good having supporters groups but attempting to speak for the hibs fans as a whole? who exactly do they think they are?

tamig
27-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Those old wooden seats were replaced 2 or 3 years ago with Tangerine plastic ones.

The home fans are always told to sit down, but some games, mainly bigger games or festive games, the whole of the bottom tier stand and they tend to give up, the only supporters who don't get told to sit down are the ones who bring a big away support, Old Firm and Aberdeen much to the annoyance of the home support who like i said, are always told to sit down.

Thanks for the reply r_A. I have to admit that my last trip to Tannadice was a couple of seasons ago - and the old wooden seats were still in place then.

I've always seen the bottom tier of the stand you mention full of folk standing. However, it's a fair point you make re OF games. We had an episode at ER a while back where about 50 ICT guys got grief for standing whereas all of the filth stand for the whole game - and no action is taken.

frazeHFC
27-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Not having a go, just wondering. When a 'traditional' Hibs song is started, not many join in. How is having the main group that sing leaving the stand going to increase the noise?

Shrekko
27-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Not having a go, just wondering. When a 'traditional' Hibs song is started, not many join in. How is having the main group that sing leaving the stand going to increase the noise?

People just won't join in with section 43 IMO. Apart from the very good display at the cup final the impression I and others I know have is that the group do nothing to get the rest of the crowd involved and would rather be isolated from the other fans.

I agree with the poster you responded to.

frazeHFC
27-06-2012, 08:42 PM
People just won't join in with section 43 IMO. Apart from the very good display at the cup final the impression I and others I know have is that the group do nothing to get the rest of the crowd involved and would rather be isolated from the other fans.

I agree with the poster you responded to.

Fair enough, i just think if people won't join in a 'hail hail' or a WAHFC because it is started from Section 43 then that is pretty poor and childish from them.

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Fair enough, i just think if people won't join in a 'hail hail' or a WAHFC because it is started from Section 43 then that is pretty poor and childish from them.

I sit in the east fraze, and to be perfectly honest, from where i sit midway between the 18 yard line and the half way line, i can hardly hear anything the singing section sing.

RIP
27-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Don't know about anyone else but all this analysis paralysis is doing my nut in

A couple of lads write an rash email to DUFC

Then they come on and swiftly apologise

They are going to contact Hibs now and deploy smarter tactics - a lesson learned

The usual suspects then jump on to criticise the other 200 who sing and try to create an atmosphere

It's only a matter of time till the gang of 3 start a petition to move us to the FF :greengrin

There have been singers in the East for nigh on 30 years.
If we ever start winning again there will be thousands singing

It's a really simple auld fashioned activity thats now being talked to death

Admins - can we no just close the thread - it's clear nobody has read the retraction?

Dashing Bob S
27-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Don't know about anyone else but all this analysis paralysis is doing my nut in

A couple of lads write an rash email to DUFC

Then they come on and swiftly apologise

They are going to contact Hibs now and deploy smarter tactics - a lesson learned

The usual suspects then jump on to criticise the other 200 who sing and try to create an atmosphere

It's only a matter of time till the gang of 3 start a petition to move us to the FF :greengrin

There have been singers in the East for nigh on 30 years.
If we ever start winning again there will be thousands singing

It's a really simple auld fashioned activity thats now being talked to death

Admins - can we no just close the thread - it's clear nobody has read the retraction?

Agreed - somewhat embarrassing to be whineing on about nothing for so long.

sauzee's fan
28-06-2012, 03:47 AM
those bigger boys are picking on us please close the thread.........just goes to prove the argument that section 43 are nothing but bairns

HH81
28-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Your all bullies.

Beefster
28-06-2012, 05:10 AM

You should be encouraging debate/comments. It's how things progress and it might help get any doubters onside.

28-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Many bigger issues surrounding the club and Scottish football just now. Surely better that the team run out to a packed away end on the first game of the season. You want to empty the ground on the first Sunday game where Sky will see where the moneys going? Very Celtic-like. Crazy :crazy:

:agree: All eyes will be on the SPL this season because of the rangers fiasco and half empty crowds will just look like without rangers there is no interest left in Scottish football. Decent sized, loud crowds at games all over the country show off the right image and let everybody know that the SPL is prospering without the huns.

judas
28-06-2012, 12:27 PM

I can see that Dundee Utd were extremely perturbed by your correspondence.

Do you think now is a good time to be issuing boycott threats? SPL clubs need each other more than ever and the last thing we want is reciprocal action by fans of opposition clubs.

Why didn't you leave your comments and at the level of constructive criticism?

Give some people a role and they don't half ham it up.

Chuck Rhoades
28-06-2012, 12:37 PM
This has been discussed and the suggestions of moving to the FF have not been ignored. However, there are around 70 of us together from Rows CC-FF in S43 at the moment and we would want to ensure we got a block together in the FF – in the middle of the FF lower.

This is not something that will happen this season; we would need to see how the club can get us all together. Then theres the problem that East ST cost more, so people will be reluctant to move at the moment whilst they own an East ST. On top of this, we have already designed/made displays for games next season that are worked out to be in the East.

I also believe behind the goals would be best, but remember, there are 100s of others in the East that sing - not just our group. Creating a divide in the singing may work wonders - spreading it all the way round the ground. Or, it could completely kill the little atmosphere we have left.

Main problem - stadium too big, not enough bums on seats, due to poor performance on park...

Without sounding too big headed, I believe we have achieved a lot considering the dross we have put up with on the park for the last 2 years. Imagine if we were in Mowbray's first season - the place would be rocking.

We don’t want to isolate ourselves; we want to be part of the Hibernian support as a whole. We are merely a group of activists who try put supporters thoughts and ideas into action.

The boycott wasn’t the first mistake we made and it won’t be our last. As long as we learn from those mistakes, take on board how other fans feel and remain dedicated to the cause we WILL be successful.

sauzee's fan
28-06-2012, 01:28 PM
you keep saying your just part of the hibernian support, well why not just concentrate on that fact rather than trying to take over an already quality set of fans.as for the mowbray days comment i was there every week and it was rocking, you make it sound like hibs fans are tam kite without you lot.think all has been said that needs to be so please continue supporting our great club but pipe down when trying to assume control of our glorious support, is not needed or wanted.

GGTTH

Chuck Rhoades
28-06-2012, 01:33 PM
you keep saying your just part of the hibernian support, well why not just concentrate on that fact rather than trying to take over an already quality set of fans.as for the mowbray days comment i was there every week and it was rocking, you make it sound like hibs fans are tam kite without you lot.think all has been said that needs to be so please continue supporting our great club but pipe down when trying to assume control of our glorious support, is not needed or wanted.

GGTTH

We are not taking over. But judging by your previous ten posts on this thread, regardless of what we say or do, you will never be happy with us. We accept that.

We don't think that at all, we are a small number who put the general supports thoughts and ideas into action such as displays, try out new songs suggested on here etc. We don't even make up 5% of the people that sing at Easter Road. Assuming control wasn't what was intended, as admitted; however the tone clearly game across that and for that, we hold our hands up.

You go on about taking over when it would appear you are speaking on behalf of the Hibernian support most of the time.

PatHead
28-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Any chance the title of the thread can be changed? There isn't going to be a boycott and there is enough negativity around without adding to it.

Go for- large noisy crowd needed at Tannadice!

sauzee's fan
28-06-2012, 01:42 PM
i speak only for myself. my mates that i go with who also feel the same and without hitting out to much every person i have ever spoke to about '43' either pre match drinks, in the stand or on the lash after the game also comment on how they wish it would go back to how it was. granted the new stadia has also had an effect but the resentment towards the 43 and contionous silly and childish chants songs grows each week and is frankly making me and the 6 of us that go (and sing/;start songs all the time) to another part of the ground as its becoming cringeworthy to assosicated with you.i guess my main question is why not you join the hibs support rather us join 43?can you not just be hibs fans?i see that you now have your own scarfs....why not buy a hibs scarf and give money to the club?whats next section 43 strips?as said before its laughable

Chuck Rhoades
28-06-2012, 01:49 PM
i speak only for myself. my mates that i go with who also feel the same and without hitting out to much every person i have ever spoke to about '43' either pre match drinks, in the stand or on the lash after the game also comment on how they wish it would go back to how it was. granted the new stadia has also had an effect but the resentment towards the 43 and contionous silly and childish chants songs grows each week and is frankly making me and the 6 of us that go (and sing/;start songs all the time) to another part of the ground as its becoming cringeworthy to assosicated with you.i guess my main question is why not you join the hibs support rather us join 43?can you not just be hibs fans?i see that you now have your own scarfs....why not buy a hibs scarf and give money to the club?whats next section 43 strips?as said before its laughable

We are all Hibs fans - no one joins anything. We all support the same team.

What childish songs? I take you discount that we sing:

Hail Hail
GGTTH
We Are Hibernian FC
South Morocco
Give Us A Goal
Bill Shankly
Turnbull's Tornadoes
Altogether Now
Forever & Ever
SOL

and many more.

Scarfs were made to raise money for the group to fund future displays, flags and banners - they do not come free and we are constantly chipping in our own money to the cause.

No point repeating myself anymore. You will never be won over, but not everyone will. We can handle that and we won't stop trying to achieve a louder and more colourful atmosphere because one person disagrees.

The fact your 16 posts on .net are on this thread speaks for itself.

No more to say.

frazeHFC
28-06-2012, 02:39 PM
After the Mowbray era atmospheres began dropping rapidly. 2 or 3 years ago they were dreadful. Then last season there was Sect43 who at least tried to restore some sort of atmosphere, which prompted others like me to join them and the group grew.

People can sit on here, the pub, the ground mumping and moaning, but that is doing no good. If you really do want the atmosphere back then make the effort. If the group isn't your cup of tea then so be it, but by joining in songs you would be doing your bit.

marinello59
28-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Without sounding too big headed, I believe we have achieved a lot considering the dross we have put up with on the park for the last 2 years. Imagine if we were in Mowbray's first season - the place would be rocking.

If we had a team playing football like that there would be no need for a Singing Section / 12th Man / Section43 /Hibs Popular Front. Atmosphere is created as a reaction to events on the pitch, that's the bottom line IMHO. Not knocking what you do though, any attempt to create positivity has to be given due credit.

Curly1875
28-06-2012, 04:32 PM
If we had a team playing football like that there would be no need for a Singing Section / 12th Man / Section43 /Hibs Popular Front. Atmosphere is created as a reaction to events on the pitch, that's the bottom line IMHO. Not knocking what you do though, any attempt to create positivity has to be given due credit.

See I kinda disagree with the bit in bold, obviously yes I do realise that is mostly what happens and if we had a better team then atmosphere would undoubtly be better but IMO atmosphere SHOULD be created to back the players and get them going, then you'd hope they would react positively to that

Jonnyboy
28-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Think we've got a touch of the Mike Riley's here. When MR speaks and is touted by the media as the fans representative he gets pelters, even though he's not calling himself a spokesman and it's the media that add the title. A small number of the S43 group seemed intent on boycotting Tannadice but because the thread was started by the poster "Section 43" there's been an assumption that the whole group feel the same way.

I disagree with much of what Riley says and I disagree with any planned boycott but I accept that MR ain't no fans spokesman and poster Section 43 is only one individual.

Time to stop using the flame thrower on S43 and accept they've acknowledged the error made and will learn from it

ronaldo7
28-06-2012, 10:22 PM
This has been discussed and the suggestions of moving to the FF have not been ignored. However, there are around 70 of us together from Rows CC-FF in S43 at the moment and we would want to ensure we got a block together in the FF – in the middle of the FF lower.

This is not something that will happen this season; we would need to see how the club can get us all together. Then theres the problem that East ST cost more, so people will be reluctant to move at the moment whilst they own an East ST. On top of this, we have already designed/made displays for games next season that are worked out to be in the East.

I also believe behind the goals would be best, but remember, there are 100s of others in the East that sing - not just our group. Creating a divide in the singing may work wonders - spreading it all the way round the ground. Or, it could completely kill the little atmosphere we have left.

Main problem - stadium too big, not enough bums on seats, due to poor performance on park...

We don’t want to isolate ourselves; we want to be part of the Hibernian support as a whole. We are merely a group of activists who try put supporters thoughts and ideas into action.

The boycott wasn’t the first mistake we made and it won’t be our last. As long as we learn from those mistakes, take on board how other fans feel and remain dedicated to the cause we WILL be successful.

That's your second apology on the thread. You must be getting fed up having to repeat yourself:wink:

Well done and keep up the good work:flag:

Future17
30-06-2012, 10:32 AM

I'm marvelling at your achievement of going from contradictory hypocrisy over several posts - to achieving the same in a few lines of one post.

Jonnyboy
30-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm marvelling at your achievement of going from contradictory hypocrisy over several posts - to achieving the same in a few lines of one post.

:agree: Neat trick eh :greengrin