PDA

View Full Version : Watershed - Social Media and The new age of 'Customer Voice' in football

down-the-slope
26-06-2012, 08:59 AM
We appear to have reached the watershed of change within Scottish Football.

Where we will end up is still a road to be mapped out, and there is a long road yet to go.

What I am utterly convinced of however is that the new age we are living in of social media (Message Boards / Twitter / Face Book / Blogs etc) has caused this sea change that in a different / previous era would not have been possible.

While, initially at least, the administrators of our game and the media (and to some extent clubs) in general provided their own cartoon versions of King Canute / Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf (The former Iraq 'Information' minister) informing us that everything was OK and we did not need to concern ourselves with things...that they would soon be back to 'normal' - the ordinary (and some extra ordinary) football supporter has used his/her collective voice via these newish media to make it clear that their idea of 'normal' was a whole different thing. A league set up that had become almost as worthy in 'competition' as WWF was no longer going to be tolerated. The ungracious fall and exposing of one of the 'ring leaders' being the cue.

Carpe Diem could well be the banner under which things have got to where they are now. A chink of light in a door that has now well and truly been bust open. There appears an element of shock among the games administrators and media at the ground swell and resolution of supporters not to allow the previous Status Quo to be restored - aided it has to be said by further damaging news to that case on an almost daily basis.

The clubs have also had to - grudgingly in some cases - accept that their supporters would not accept them colluding in a fudge. The realisation that the finances of the game were going to be hit one way or another is not easy. But when the death of the game is weighed against a few years of financial redressing...sense has prevailed.

Positives have already come in rebuilding for the future in the shape of clubs talking with their support - exemplified in the 'Lets Work Together' project being formed within our own club - which will bring the game back closer to those that are the life blood of it after all.

However even although the watershed has been reached those same supporters who have played their part in things reaching this point should remember that true revolution is marked by the map and route worked out after it, and not by the mere watershed moment itsself.

Many a revolution has failed to make its ultimate mark due to losing momentum and drive after the watershed. Thinking 'its acheived' leading to a lack of effort and resolve to build the future. Pressure and support needs to to continue be applied in equal measure if the true reward of a game we can once again be proud of is to be acheived. Pressure on those who are not listning, or are listning but ignoring, and support for those who put supporters and the best interest of the game first.

camhibby1
26-06-2012, 01:29 PM
We appear to have reached the watershed of change within Scottish Football.

Where we will end up is still a road to be mapped out, and there is a long road yet to go.

What I am utterly convinced of however is that the new age we are living in of social media (Message Boards / Twitter / Face Book / Blogs etc) has caused this sea change that in a different / previous era would not have been possible.

While, initially at least, the administrators of our game and the media (and to some extent clubs) in general provided their own cartoon versions of King Canute / Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf (The former Iraq 'Information' minister) informing us that everything was OK and we did not need to concern ourselves with things...that they would soon be back to 'normal' - the ordinary (and some extra ordinary) football supporter has used his/her collective voice via these newish media to make it clear that their idea of 'normal' was a whole different thing. A league set up that had become almost as worthy in 'competition' as WWF was no longer going to be tolerated. The ungracious fall and exposing of one of the 'ring leaders' being the cue.

Carpe Diem could well be the banner under which things have got to where they are now. A chink of light in a door that has now well and truly been bust open. There appears an element of shock among the games administrators and media at the ground swell and resolution of supporters not to allow the previous Status Quo to be restored - aided it has to be said by further damaging news to that case on an almost daily basis.

The clubs have also had to - grudgingly in some cases - accept that their supporters would not accept them colluding in a fudge. The realisation that the finances of the game were going to be hit one way or another is not easy. But when the death of the game is weighed against a few years of financial redressing...sense has prevailed.

Positives have already come in rebuilding for the future in the shape of clubs talking with their support - exemplified in the 'Lets Work Together' project being formed within our own club - which will bring the game back closer to those that are the life blood of it after all.

However even although the watershed has been reached those same supporters who have played their part in things reaching this point should remember that true revolution is marked by the map and route worked out after it, and not by the mere watershed moment itsself.

Many a revolution has failed to make its ultimate mark due to losing momentum and drive after the watershed. Thinking 'its acheived' leading to a lack of effort and resolve to build the future. Pressure and support needs to to continue be applied in equal measure if the true reward of a game we can once again be proud of is to be acheived. Pressure on those who are not listning, or are listning but ignoring, and support for those who put supporters and the best interest of the game first.

Good post.How true, how very true. Remember that the Arab Spring - especially in Egypt began via Social Media outlets. What has happened and will continue to happen for some time yet will be fans' pressure on the accountability of the directors and boards of our football clubs - witness Michael Johnston's feeble attempts to placate the Kilmarnock supporters and the subsequent silence of the St Johnstone chairman when he realised that his 'watch what you wish for statement' did not go down well with his fans.

You are right too that how this all pans out still has a long way to go. I mentioned on the administration thread some time ago that fans should now go for all out change in the governance of the game (that may well come about through restructuring of the leagues and changes to governance at the top) and for apologies from the media. It's probably the media (apart from the now defunct RFC) who will come out worst in all this. The Daily Record should be put out of business - it is being proved, almost on a daily basis that it has no concept of what it right or wrong and operates in a totally amoral vacuum. The BBC should be hounded now to get rid of Traynor and Dodds from Sportsound - if they don't get rid there will continue to be suspicions about impartiality. The very least should be Traynor's phone in programme either dropped or a different presenter take over. His arrogant behaviour towards football fans is deplorable - he should be reminded that it is the 'internet bampots that won it!' and he no longer has any 'authority' to objectively speak about Scottish football - if he ever has.

So there's still a long way to go and I hope we're resolute until the sea change is truly effective.

ST renewed.

down-the-slope
26-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Good post.How true, how very true. Remember that the Arab Spring - especially in Egypt began via Social Media outlets. What has happened and will continue to happen for some time yet will be fans' pressure on the accountability of the directors and boards of our football clubs - witness Michael Johnston's feeble attempts to placate the Kilmarnock supporters and the subsequent silence of the St Johnstone chairman when he realised that his 'watch what you wish for statement' did not go down well with his fans.

You are right too that how this all pans out still has a long way to go. I mentioned on the administration thread some time ago that fans should now go for all out change in the governance of the game (that may well come about through restructuring of the leagues and changes to governance at the top) and for apologies from the media. It's probably the media (apart from the now defunct RFC) who will come out worst in all this. The Daily Record should be put out of business - it is being proved, almost on a daily basis that it has no concept of what it right or wrong and operates in a totally amoral vacuum. The BBC should be hounded now to get rid of Traynor and Dodds from Sportsound - if they don't get rid there will continue to be suspicions about impartiality. The very least should be Traynor's phone in programme either dropped or a different presenter take over. His arrogant behaviour towards football fans is deplorable - he should be reminded that it is the 'internet bampots that won it!' and he no longer has any 'authority' to objectively speak about Scottish football - if he ever has.

So there's still a long way to go and I hope we're resolute until the sea change is truly effective.

ST renewed.

:agree:

down-the-slope
26-06-2012, 04:48 PM
PS you have just given me a great idea...

Would people buy a supporter led (might be too risky for club itself) Tee-shirt to support the club for its desicion..

internet bampots support integrity (i'm sure more clever thasn I could use Traynors jibe to make a point & pounds :greengrin)

Say cost to make plus £10 (I think hibs Perseverve T's are £15...so around that)

Just Alf
26-06-2012, 05:51 PM
PS you have just given me a great idea...

Would people buy a supporter led (might be too risky for club itself) Tee-shirt to support the club for its desicion..

internet bampots support integrity (i'm sure more clever thasn I could use Traynors jibe to make a point & pounds :greengrin)

Say cost to make plus £10 (I think hibs Perseverve T's are £15...so around that)

I like this!

Just make sure you do plenty of sizes!

Mine's an xxxxl :D

SloopJB
26-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Can there be a more inappropriately named method of communication than 'Social media' Social?
The next innovation must surely be anti social media where bricks, bottles, knifes and **** come out of the screen.

There may also be a task in weeding out the 'customers' from the 'social interaction contributors' but I really like your idea, spot on.