PDA

View Full Version : History Lesson: Rangers tried to eject 5 clubs from SFL

theonlywayisup
26-06-2012, 06:40 AM
What a horrible club they are.............

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rangers-newco-1964-bid-to-eject-minnows-could-come-back-to-haunt-club-1-2375352

Rangers proposed that the five clubs with the smallest gate receipts should be kicked out and were at the vanguard of moves to make it happen, including sending out correspondence to the other member clubs and deliberately excluding the targeted clubs.

Five clubs which will be involved in determining which division the Ibrox club will play in next season – Albion Rovers, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City, Stenhousemuir and Stranraer – may think back 48 years when the boot was on the other foot.

In 1964, this gang of five survived an attempt to oust them from senior football in a move led by Rangers. The Glasgow giants wanted to reduce the number of clubs in the then top two divisions from 37 to 32 and proposed that the minnows should drop out.

Saorsa
26-06-2012, 06:45 AM
What a horrible club they are.............

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rangers-newco-1964-bid-to-eject-minnows-could-come-back-to-haunt-club-1-2375352

Rangers proposed that the five clubs with the smallest gate receipts should be kicked out and were at the vanguard of moves to make it happen, including sending out correspondence to the other member clubs and deliberately excluding the targeted clubs.

Five clubs which will be involved in determining which division the Ibrox club will play in next season – Albion Rovers, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City, Stenhousemuir and Stranraer – may think back 48 years when the boot was on the other foot.

In 1964, this gang of five survived an attempt to oust them from senior football in a move led by Rangers. The Glasgow giants wanted to reduce the number of clubs in the then top two divisions from 37 to 32 and proposed that the minnows should drop out.Would be great if they were punted tae the 3rd division by just those 5 votes of those 5 clubs

SouthMoroccoStu
26-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Rangers: A shower of glory hunting, self centred bar stewards since 1872

One more vote and we can hopefully see the death nail for this dispicable excuse of a club

Hibs7
26-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Brilliant, what goes around comes around as the blue nosed hordes are spouting just now.

Get it right up them !!!!!

jonty
26-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Would be greatly ironic if they were refused entry to the SFL by just those 5 votes of those 5 clubs

fixed that for you.

Saorsa
26-06-2012, 08:00 AM
fixed that for you.:aok:

JimBHibees
26-06-2012, 11:49 AM
I'll bet the cup win of Berwick Rangers over big Gers was extra sweet then given that was approx 67/68 I think.

ancient hibee
26-06-2012, 02:01 PM
I'll bet the cup win of Berwick Rangers over big Gers was extra sweet then given that was approx 67/68 I think.

And who beat Berwick Rangers in the next round?

Hibs07p
26-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Would be great if they were punted tae the 3rd division by just those 5 votes of those 5 clubs

It would be even better if those 5 votes meant their application to join the SFL in any league, was rejected. I would imagine Airdrie wouldn't be too keen on voting for them either. Rangers entry into the SFL might not be as straightforward as people think. They still have to apply to be a member of the SFA, and without 3 years accounts, that is not a certainty, especially after taking them to court over the transfer embargo. Oldco has made a lot of enemies, and Newco might take the brunt of Scottish clubs anger about bringing Scottish football to it's knees through it's financial doping and cheating, without even a hint of remorse.

JimBHibees
26-06-2012, 02:19 PM

Hibs?

PatHead
26-06-2012, 03:08 PM
It would be even better if those 5 votes meant their application to join the SFL in any league, was rejected. I would imagine Airdrie wouldn't be too keen on voting for them either. Rangers entry into the SFL might not be as straightforward as people think. They still have to apply to be a member of the SFA, and without 3 years accounts, that is not a certainty, especially after taking them to court over the transfer embargo. Oldco has made a lot of enemies, and Newco might take the brunt of Scottish clubs anger about bringing Scottish football to it's knees through it's financial doping and cheating, without even a hint of remorse.

In the interests of consistency Airdrie ceased to exist a number of years ago (when a certain David Murray put them to the sword). The club with the vote is Airdrie United.

A Pedant

Jim44
26-06-2012, 04:29 PM

After turning a blind eye to the Jambos lack of accounts, I can't see them playing that card. I think they will get their SFA licence but I don't think that acceptence to one of the 3 divisions will be plain sailing.

lapsedhibee
26-06-2012, 05:42 PM

Jim Scott, brother of former Ger and future Hibee Alex Scott.

Jock Wallace, future Hun manager, was Berwick's goalie at the time.

jgl07
26-06-2012, 06:27 PM
In the interests of consistency Airdrie ceased to exist a number of years ago (when a certain David Murray put them to the sword). The club with the vote is Airdrie United.

A Pedant

If we are going to be really pedantic, it was Airdrieonians who went out of business.