PDA

View Full Version : NHC Watching Fitba' on East Coast Trains' Broadband

The Tubs
25-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Has anyone ever tried to watch a stream of a game on an East Coast train before? I really don't want to miss the semi on Wednesday and want to know if their bandwidth is good enough.

frazeHFC
25-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Not tried on a train, but worked on the megabus?

scott7_0(Prague)
25-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Has anyone ever tried to watch a stream of a game on an East Coast train before? I really don't want to miss the semi on Wednesday and want to know if their bandwidth is good enough.

In my opinion no chance, unless they have improved the service recently.

jgl07
25-06-2012, 09:50 AM

In my experience of East Coast internet access, there isn't a hope of getting a stream. I have struggled to cope with opening normal web pages. They are presumably relaying a 3G signal. The signal can be good but can also be very bad depending on the location. There is usually a decent signal around the main towns but once you get into the countryside it is very variable.

Unless you are travelling First Class it costs an arm and a leg anyway,

The Tubs
25-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the info folks.

Looks like I'll have to settle for either the tranny or watching it as live after, à la the Likely Lads.

StevieC
25-06-2012, 09:59 AM

In my opinion no chance, unless they have improved the service recently.

In my experience of East Coast internet access, there isn't a hope of getting a stream.

I agree, not a hope in hell of getting a reliable stream.

I travel from Edinburgh to Newcastle every other week and the WiFi facility is very slow.

vincipernoi
25-06-2012, 10:06 AM
as a connoisseur of east coast trains I have found that they block any video type sites like youtube (beause of the bandwith apparently)

I followed the italy england game last night on the train last night on the bbc text updates which seemed a few minutes behind

SteveHFC
25-06-2012, 12:06 PM
I managed to get on the internet on my iPhone inside a train tunnel near Perth :greengrin

iwasthere1972
25-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I managed to on the internet on my iPhone inside a train tunnel near Perth :greengrin

So where you just loitering in the tunnel or on a train?

Hainan Hibs
25-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Looks like I'll have to settle for either the tranny or watching it as live after, à la the Likely Lads.

I'm glad I got ScotRail the last time:greengrin

magpie1892
25-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I agree, not a hope in hell of getting a reliable stream.

I travel from Edinburgh to Newcastle every other week and the WiFi facility is very slow.

This.

It's a chronic service, even in first class.

Streaming sites are banned for data reasons.

Sorry, but forget it.

SteveHFC
25-06-2012, 03:12 PM
So where you just loitering in the tunnel or on a train?

On a train :wink:

TheEastTerrace
25-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Pay the equivalent of a month's broadband for one 24hr session and you can't even stream vids1

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2012, 06:05 PM
My mate told me that if I wanted to avoid the conductor when you haven't got a train ticket, you should hide in the toilet.

Great advice Dave. I just missed my f****ng train.

Aaron
25-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Absolutely no chance.

steakbake
25-06-2012, 06:11 PM
It doesn't work. I go to London a lot and use the wifi. Their service provider is not a UK one (it's Swedish). It means you cannot get UK specific content. Also, they restrict certain things like YouTube, iPlayer etc so there is enough bandwidth to go around.