PDA

View Full Version : Sfa Statement On Reconstruction

H18sry
23-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Scottish FA leads reconstruction talks

Saturday, 23 June 2012

The following statement has been issued on behalf of the Scottish FA, SPL and SFL:

"All three parties have been involved in productive discussions for some time on the subject of league reconstruction. This culminated in a positive meeting last night, out of which the two league bodies will now engage in a wider consultation with their member clubs.

"The discussions are based on the key principles for reconstruction outlined in the Henry McLeish Review of Scottish football:

* One league body in the senior game
* Promotion/relegation play-off between SPL and SFL First Division
* Single financial distribution model
* Pyramid system, with the potential for relegation from and promotion to the fourth tier

"Further consultation will take place in the near future, with the aim of reaching a positive outcome on a new model to take Scottish football forward."

HibeeSince85
23-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Where is the last part of the statement?

"We believe this is the right time to undertake this challenge for the good of The Rangers....eh Scottish Football"

Part/Time Supporter
23-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Not sure what any of that has to with Rangers*. Things they should be doing anyway (SPL/SFL playoff, pyramid, scrapping one of the league bodies). Need more details and not enough time to do anything substantial before season starts.

Mon Dieu4
23-06-2012, 05:32 PM
They have sat on the McLeish report for long enough, reeks that they are acting on it now, wonder why that is?

Maybe time to ramp it up a notch and start to get in touch with the governing bodies and not just the clubs, telling them we will not accept Sevco anywhere bar the 3rd

ac1
23-06-2012, 05:38 PM
They have sat on the McLeish report for long enough, reeks that they are acting on it now, wonder why that is?

Maybe time to ramp it up a notch and start to get in touch with the governing bodies and not just the clubs, telling them we will not accept Sevco anywhere bar the 3rd

Taking forever to punish/do anthing to Newco but rushing through a new league set-up?

Hmmm makes you wonder - agree the SFA should be warned that anthing less than 3rd division for Sevco is not acceptable to the fans in
Scotland!

johnbc70
23-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Yes, has the McLeish report not been out for a few years now?

Baldy Foghorn
23-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Saturday, 23 June 2012

The following statement has been issued on behalf of the Scottish FA, SPL and SFL:

"All three parties have been involved in productive discussions for some time on the subject of league reconstruction. This culminated in a positive meeting last night, out of which the two league bodies will now engage in a wider consultation with their member clubs.

"The discussions are based on the key principles for reconstruction outlined in the Henry McLeish Review of Scottish football:

* Pyramid system, with the potential for relegation from and promotion to the fourth tier

"Further consultation will take place in the near future, with the aim of reaching a positive outcome on a new model to take Scottish football forward."

Smacks of changing the setup now, to pander to derhuns needs.....

Sergey
23-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Not sure what any of that has to with Rangers*. Things they should be doing anyway (SPL/SFL playoff, pyramid, scrapping one of the league bodies). Need more details and not enough time to do anything substantial before season starts.

There's not a hope in hell that any reconstruction will take place before the start of this coming season, and I agree that these points should have been implemented long ago.

GreenCastle
23-06-2012, 05:43 PM
All long overdue :rolleyes:

So is this the plan from the end of next season ? - surely not enough time to apply the new pyramid / financial model now?

If it is somehow put together before the start of this season with an SPL 2 including newco - it's a complete farce.

snooky
23-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Saturday, 23 June 2012

A-ha, that old conjurer's trick. Use the Henry McLeish report as a cloak to hide the deceit going on behind it.

They're like Nero fiddling (in both senses) while Rome burned.

Jim44
23-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Where is the last part of the statement?

"We believe this is the right time to undertake this challenge for the good of The Rangers....eh Scottish Football"

Surely the timescale is too tight to 'drive' any structural changes through before final decisions on Rangers' future are implemented.

Emerald
23-06-2012, 05:45 PM
If anything is done to help Rangers, I will never spend another penny on Scottish football again. There is no point in watching just now due to the huge advantage the old firm have but to catch them cheating to this scale of things and then do ANYTHING to help them out would be the last straw for me. We MUST make this a turning point and make things more even. That goes for the press too, they are squirming and cratching about looking for any way out. If the do, I'm out. :grr:

H18sry
23-06-2012, 05:45 PM
It reeks of send the huns to div 3 then next season revamp the structure and get them into SPL 2 next season. :agree:

marinello59
23-06-2012, 05:48 PM
There's not a hope in hell that any reconstruction will take place before the start of this coming season, and I agree that these points should have been implemented long ago.

Spot on.

Caversham Green
23-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Yep, and it doesn't really look like they're trying to. No doubt the hun situation has accelerated the process, which can only be a good thing, but this doesn't sound like the 'get the huns in SFL1' fiddle that the Daily Record would have us believe took place in the 'secret meeting' last night.

Littlest Hobo
23-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm wondering if the penny has finally dropped that a more competitive league will make Scottish football flourish.

A more evenly split pot.

Different teams being successful can only mean one thing.

More support all round for those individual clubs.

chinaman
23-06-2012, 06:03 PM
If anything is done to help Rangers, I will never spend another penny on Scottish football again. There is no point in watching just now due to the huge advantage the old firm have but to catch them cheating to this scale of things and then do ANYTHING to help them out would be the last straw for me. We MUST make this a turning point and make things more even. That goes for the press too, they are squirming and cratching about looking for any way out. If the do, I'm out. :grr:

me too pal, if the ****my cheating bullies arent hammered to div 3 and given sanctions whats the point on continuing with scottish football, and like yourself i`ll be finished with it and the sfa,spl can ram it the pathetic yellow fxxxxxs

Joe's ice cream
23-06-2012, 06:04 PM
After last night's 'secret' well not so secret meeting think that this statement has been put out there to make all look fully transparent.

Sure I heard today that for any proposed restructure to the sfl there has to be at least 12months notice given

HibeeSince85
23-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Surely the timescale is too tight to 'drive' any structural changes through before final decisions on Rangers' future are implemented.

Yeah it will be Jim, but it stinks how they have known the need for change in the game was way overdue but poor huns in trouble and we get this.

I'm glad they are finally doing it mind!

GreenCastle
23-06-2012, 06:09 PM
It reeks of send the huns to div 3 then next season revamp the structure and get them into SPL 2 next season. :agree:

That's what my initial thought was - a season in Div 3 then into SPL 2 - but surely that couldn't happen ? :confused:

snooky
23-06-2012, 06:14 PM
me too pal, if the ****my cheating bullies arent hammered to div 3 and given sanctions whats the point on continuing with scottish football, and like yourself i`ll be finished with it and the sfa,spl can ram it the pathetic yellow fxxxxxs

Sorry Chinaman, but I had to laugh (ironically) at your choice of words there.

jgl07
23-06-2012, 06:15 PM
It reeks of send the huns to div 3 then next season revamp the structure and get them into SPL 2 next season.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I would accept that as long as it was NOT two ten-team SPL Divisions.

There are 42 teams in the SPL and SFL. If there two Leagues of 16/18 (preferably 18), I would have no objections to a Rangers newco coming into SPL2 in the 2013-2014 season provided that they are admitted to SFL3 for 2012-13 and finish top!

Of course if Rangers miss out on the SFL3 next season, it will take them another year.

Over the next year, Celtic can be stiffed over the cash distribution.

NAE NOOKIE
23-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Taking forever to punish/do anthing to Newco but rushing through a new league set-up?

Hmmm makes you wonder - agree the SFA should be warned that anthing less than 3rd division for Sevco is not acceptable to the fans in
Scotland!

Under the right conditions, its acceptable to this fan.

We have been bitching about a new league set up for years now, but because it 'may' benefit the newco huns now we dont want it.

FFS

HFC 0-7
23-06-2012, 06:30 PM

We have been bitching about a new league set up for years now, but because it 'may' benefit the newco huns now we dont want it.

FFS

Dont think there is any 'may' about it. We have been banging on about change for years now and suddenly they tart doing it when rangers need a rule change or re structure to stop them being out of the top flight for 3 years. We have been bitching about a fairer, more competitive league for years now. We don't want it if it's on the basis we let a new rangers, debt free, even more hate filled, get less punishment than they deserve.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-06-2012, 07:31 PM

"Where there's a will, someone's just died"
- Alas Smith and Jones

Viva_Palmeiras
23-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Sorry Chinaman, but I had to laugh (ironically) at your choice of words there.

:hilarious

Bishop Hibee
23-06-2012, 07:48 PM

FFS

No danger the SPL clubs will vote for 15 home games a season instead of the current 19 (on average) given the expected loss of revenue from the demise of the huns. Best bet is a change to the voting setup so if the time and will is right, the non-OF clubs will be able to implement change as a block.

I've said all along that Rangers will never die in the same way Hibs would never have died in 1990. They have made a rod for their own backs by challenging the transfer ban through the courts. Despite the likelihood that Div 1 will be where the huns end up, it would not be right if the SFA appellate tribunals were quietly dropped.

One thing for sure, I enjoy watching huns squirming :greengrin

JoeTortolanoFanClub
23-06-2012, 08:08 PM
One thing I do like in that statement is this:

Pyramid system, with the potential for relegation from and promotion to the fourth tier

There is no reason why Sevco should be admitted to SFL3 any more than SFL1 or SPL. They are a new club and should start in the same way any other new club would do. In the Glasgow Sunday League Third Division perhaps. They can then work their way up the pyramid in the proper way.

Steve-O
23-06-2012, 10:27 PM

Saturday, 23 June 2012

GTF - it is far too late for next season so please forget your pro-Rangers engineering and do not rush some pishy changes through just to suit them!

steakbake
24-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Here's a scenario: sevco 5088 will be suspended from football for a season as a cumulative punishment for tax dodging, double contracts etc, then shoehorned into the new SPL 2nd division at the end of next season.

That way, SFA can say they've taken action and suspended sevco 5088 FC. They might throw in a points deduction but they'll be back in SPL1 in 2 years instead of 3 as would happen if punted to the 3rd (and assuming they get up in progressive seasons).

It's a dirty fix but a convenient one. That hair dryer at SFA HQ will be heating up the balls for the cup draws to ensure two OF clashes.

Spike Mandela
24-06-2012, 06:48 AM
The news may be far worse than feared. Football armageddon if true.

http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/

Caversham Green
24-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Here's a scenario: sevco 5088 will be suspended from football for a season as a cumulative punishment for tax dodging, double contracts etc, then shoehorned into the new SPL 2nd division at the end of next season.

That way, SFA can say they've taken action and suspended sevco 5088 FC. They might throw in a points deduction but they'll be back in SPL1 in 2 years instead of 3 as would happen if punted to the 3rd (and assuming they get up in progressive seasons).

It's a dirty fix but a convenient one. That hair dryer at SFA HQ will be heating up the balls for the cup draws to ensure two OF clashes.

They could do much the same thing under the current rules without manipulating anything.

Sevco could be suspended for a season but the transfer of the SPL share is agreed. That would give us an 11 team SPL next season and Sevco would automatically be relegated with no points (unless another team lost all their games in which case Sevco's goal difference would be better than theirs). That gives Sevco a season out of the game and a season chasing promotion in SFL1.

I think we need to separate the bloodlust that arises from a dislike of Rangers from the reality of a fair assessment and punishment of their crimes, because anyone expecting Rangers FC to disappear completely will be disappointed and if that turns into boycotts etc all it will do is damage our club and the game in general. A season's suspension is by no means lenient - it means a year with little or no income, and likely the loss of most if not all of their playing staff. That means that promotion in season 2 is nothing like a foregone conclusion and it could see a permanent downsizing of the club. It could also see the Green consortium walking away, but that's a problem for Rangers FC to deal with.

Rangers FC need to be punished suitably for a long period of financial doping as well as the effective theft of taxes in the Whyte era, but they must not be punished for being Ranger FC - that turns the game into as much of a bogey as appeasing them. And now is not the time to tinker with the league structures because whatever the reasons and outcome it will be seen as an attempt at appeasement.

clerriehibs
24-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Any celtc perspective is just as poisoned as any rankgers one. Along with rankgers, these gets have bled the game dry for years and years, by hoovering up any competitors' half-decent talent and stifling competition. Now they claim to be the only way the Scottish game will be funded in the future.

My hearts bleeds (even if their viewpoint was correct).

Celtc FC ... GTF.

P!ss off out of our league and our country.

No-one else wanted you before, despite all your fluttering yer eyelashes and opening yer legs ... what hope have you now, without your ugly sister in tow.

If rankgers are the poison in our game, you are the puss.

Since90+2
24-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Any celtc perspective is just as poisoned as any rankgers one. Along with rankgers, these gets have bled the game dry for years and years, by hoovering up any competitors' half-decent talent and stifling competition. Now they claim to be the only way the Scottish game will be funded in the future.

Celtc FC ... GTF.

No-one else wanted you before, despite all your fluttering yer eyelashes and opening yer legs ... what hope have you now, without your ugly sister in tow.

Why do people keep saying this? Its never going to happen , we are stuck with Celtic and Rangers (in whatever form) so may aswell just get on with it.

clerriehibs
24-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Why do people keep saying this? Its never going to happen , we are stuck with Celtic and Rangers (in whatever form) so may aswell just get on with it.

Mostly because every so often, celtc or rankgers trot it out. If they can't shut up about their wish to leave, why should anyone else shut up about wanting them to leave?

ballengeich
24-06-2012, 09:52 AM
They could do much the same thing under the current rules without manipulating anything.

Sevco could be suspended for a season but the transfer of the SPL share is agreed. That would give us an 11 team SPL next season and Sevco would automatically be relegated with no points (unless another team lost all their games in which case Sevco's goal difference would be better than theirs). That gives Sevco a season out of the game and a season chasing promotion in SFL1.

I think we need to separate the bloodlust that arises from a dislike of Rangers from the reality of a fair assessment and punishment of their crimes, because anyone expecting Rangers FC to disappear completely will be disappointed and if that turns into boycotts etc all it will do is damage our club and the game in general. A season's suspension is by no means lenient - it means a year with little or no income, and likely the loss of most if not all of their playing staff. That means that promotion in season 2 is nothing like a foregone conclusion and it could see a permanent downsizing of the club. It could also see the Green consortium walking away, but that's a problem for Rangers FC to deal with.

Rangers FC need to be punished suitably for a long period of financial doping as well as the effective theft of taxes in the Whyte era, but they must not be punished for being Ranger FC - that turns the game into as much of a bogey as appeasing them. And now is not the time to tinker with the league structures because whatever the reasons and outcome it will be seen as an attempt at appeasement.

An excellent post. I've had a concern throughout that liquidation could be used as a means for Rangers to escape the footballing punishments their past misdemeanours merit. Following their appeal to the Court of Session the SFA tribunal should be meeting to decide on an alternative penalty. Imo a year's suspension is appropriate. By applying for the oldco's SPL share the newco is presenting itself as a footballing successor so the penalty would apply to them. The clubs supporters regard the club as continuing under new ownership so must accept that the history includes continuing liability for past misbehaviour.

An inquiry on dual contracts can then follow with any resultant penalties applying to the newco's football team.

A year without Rangers will give everyone time to think calmly about a future structure for the game. In the rush to get them a position for next season we need to remember why they went into administration. It wasn't the historic debt but the continuing monthly loss. Their financial structure seems to be (approximately) based on breaking even in seasons when they're in the Champions League. In the past David Murray covered the losses from his other businesses. Craig Whyte stated that they were operating at a million pound a month deficit, Dave King has recently said that they can't be run at a commercial profit, and I've no idea how Green is going to keep them operating as a football club. Whatever division they're in for the coming season there's a sustantial chance that they'll be back in adminstration shortly and unable to fulfill their fixtures.

NAE NOOKIE
24-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Good post ... Though I dont think they would suspend them

snooky
24-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Can I nominate you for a place on the SFA board, CG? :wink:

MyJo
24-06-2012, 10:09 AM
acceptable compromise for me would be a complete overhaul of the scottish game and sevco taking their punishments on the chin:

- 16 team SPL with current 11, dunfermline & 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th from 1st division last year.
- 16 team SPL 2 with remaining 1st Division clubs, 2nd division clubs + Sevco with a 30 point deduction, 1 year transfer embargo and rangers stripped of all tainted league titles.
- 18 team "championship" with 3rd division clubs & new teams promoted into the league structure.
- Pyramid structure below this in regional leagues.
- Restructure the league cup to a champions league style format which guarantees the 32 clubs in the - SPL & SPL2 an additional 6 games a season in addition to the 30 played in the league.
- Make the ramsdens cup a knockout competition for the championship & regional leagues only.
- Re-introduce the reserve leagues.
- ensure a fairer distribution of tv and sponsors money across all teams in the respective leagues.
- have 1 governing body for all aspects of scottish football from the national team right down to junior level.

Kojock
24-06-2012, 10:13 AM
In May 2009 Henry McLeish was commissioned to compile a report on the future of Scottish football.

The first part of the report was published in April 2010 with the second part published December 2010

For anyone interested here are both reports

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SFAPublications/HenryMcLeishReviewofScottishFootball/Review%20Scottish%20Football%20Pt1FINAL%20220410.p df

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SFAPublications/HenryMcLeishReviewofScottishFootball/Review%20Scottish%20Football%20Pt1FINAL%20220410.p df

So the SFA have sat on the report for over 18 months and want to fast track its implementation within two weeks. :confused:

Sylar
24-06-2012, 10:16 AM
acceptable compromise for me would be a complete overhaul of the scottish game and sevco taking their punishments on the chin:

- 16 team SPL with current 11, dunfermline & 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th from 1st division last year.
- 16 team SPL 2 with remaining 1st Division clubs, 2nd division clubs + Sevco with a 30 point deduction, 1 year transfer embargo and rangers stripped of all tainted league titles.
- 18 team "championship" with 3rd division clubs & new teams promoted into the league structure.
- Restructure the league cup to a champions league style format which guarantees the 32 clubs in the - SPL & SPL2 an additional 6 games a season in addition to the 30 played in the league.
- Make the ramsdens cup a knockout competition for the championship & regional leagues only.
- ensure a fairer distribution of tv and sponsors money across all teams in the respective leagues.
- have 1 governing body for all aspects of scottish football from the national team right down to junior level.

The new entity is NOT Rangers, so you can't impose any of these sanctions unless they're accepted as a continuation of Rangers in the SPL.

Readmission to the SPL with heavy sanctions or new admission at a lower level with a clean slate.

Kojock
24-06-2012, 10:17 AM

If the SFA impliment the report there will be two leagues of ten.

Henry McLeish backs Scottish Premier League proposals for a two-tier top flight with 10 teams in each division and the return of a winter break.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9291848.stm

TrickyNicky
24-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Good post Cav , a level headed and well thought out post.

But, does Non-accountant Cav want to crush them Darth Vadar style ?:wink:

bighairyfaeleith
24-06-2012, 10:23 AM

I'd accept that if sevco started in the championship, new company so start at the bottom. The structure though I think makes sense.

MyJo
24-06-2012, 10:34 AM
The new entity is NOT Rangers, so you can't impose any of these sanctions unless they're accepted as a continuation of Rangers in the SPL.

Readmission to the SPL with heavy sanctions or new admission at a lower level with a clean slate.

They dont need to be re-admitted to the SPL. Allow them to be a continuation of Rangers but league titles won while using an EBT would be punished by stripping the club of these titles. Failure to pay tax last season = Relegation to 1st division / new SPL 2, Transfer embargo re-instated & 30 point deduction for the club going into liquidation and failing to pay footballing creditors.

Likely result will be minimum two years out of the SPL and still facing 3 years out of europe

If the SFA impliment the report there will be two leagues of ten.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9291848.stm

They are talking about league reconstruction to accomodate Rangers in the 1st division, reducing the number of teams currently in the top 2 divisions isn't going to be the best way to do this is it?

The report is just a convenient excuse, if they want to accomodate the huns without pissing a lot of people off then the very least they can do is to make two tiers of 12 and given that most fans want to see a larger league then they will have to do something that is seen to be "for the fans"

truehibernian
24-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Mmm....I would say a very partisan piece of writing.

Celtic are the only club who didn't sign up for the new SFA Academy set up for example, and use St Ninian's as their own academy set up. They also outspent every SPL club in the U19 league last year combined, and subsequently, I would say, 'bought' the title albeit totally within the rules. I'm told the spent nearly £200,000 securing players.

They may indeed employ many Scottish youth internationals, but it's for their own self interest, not for Scottish footballs gain. They are of course perfectly entitled to do so, but that piece is just propaganda in my opinion.

I totally agree with them however that rules being changed after the offences have been uncovered is wrong on so many levels and leaves our game and those that govern it an absolute laughing stock. Scotland should have followed the Dutch model years ago, on football and football governance, but were too arrogant to change.

Far too much self interest, no cohesion, no real 'football community'.

Caversham Green
24-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Can I nominate you for a place on the SFA board, CG? :wink:

Someone else wanted me to be Hibs financial director a while back. What have I done to deserve all thes crap job nomimations?

Good post Cav , a level headed and well thought out post.

But, does Non-accountant Cav want to crush them Darth Vadar style ?:wink:

Believe me, dancing in the streets of Caversham if they were to disappear completely - even if it was just the one bloke.

Spike Mandela
24-06-2012, 04:59 PM

Celtc FC ... GTF.

Have a word wi yerself. Every fans forum is slanted towards the team they support, do you think .net isn't the view from a self serving Hibs view point?

Ignore the bias at the bottom of the piece what about the fact the appellate panel is being subverted from bringing it's judgement on Rangers? If this is true no matter what team you support it is the end of football as a sport with any moral authority in this country at all. This would be the biggest scandal of all imo.

SonOfTortolano
24-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I heard that if this proposal does go ahead and Newco are accepted to Div 1, there will be a major new sponsor of all the leagues waiting to step in.....

SCREWFIX!

:greengrin

clerriehibs
24-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Have a word wi yerself. Every fans forum is slanted towards the team they support, do you think .net isn't the view from a self serving Hibs view point?

Ignore the bias at the bottom of the piece what about the fact the appellate panel is being subverted from bringing it's judgement on Rangers? If this is true no matter what team you support it is the end of football as a sport with any moral authority in this country at all. This would be the biggest scandal of all imo.

Do one. if I read what I perceive to be celtc pish, I'll comment on it, same as I'll comment on rankgers pish, or hearts pish.

Couldn't agree more about the wrongness of manipulating the appellate panel. But why should I not comment on the rest of the piece, which is twisted celtc nonsense. Most celtc fans could not care less about the state of scottish football, with or without their ugly sister ... they just want to make sure the ugly sister dies. Which is fair enough, but at least the fans of the other clubs are ALSO concerned about the shape of scottish football in future.