PDA

View Full Version : A real challenge to Celtic?

Scouse Hibee
22-06-2012, 12:35 PM
IF Rangers newco are not playing in the SPL this coming season do you think there will be a credible challenge to Celtic for the title?

cabbageandribs1875
22-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Naw

Qwestion next

c31
22-06-2012, 12:40 PM
according to the Bookies seltic are 1-18 on to win the league so I don't think there is anyone even close

BarneyK
22-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Nope

Steve20
22-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Nope. Celtic will win it for the foreseeable future.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2012, 12:50 PM
One thing worth remembering is that the gap may well be smaller between Celtic and 'the rest'.

Reason being that clubs can lose a maximum of 24 points to the OF a season as it stands, with most losing at least 16 say. The season ahead will see clubs only able to lose a maximum of 12.

Celtic will undoubtedly win the league but if your betting on margins etc It's probably worth bearing the above in mind.

Andy74
22-06-2012, 12:52 PM
No but the gap could close for a team that could be consistent against the rest. We'd only have Celtic games to basically write off instead of Rangers too.

How long will Celtic fans watch a procession of easy wins for?

Cups - really only one team to be too frightened off and one of them can be put out by a decent team at home. Apart from us obviously this could be more open for a bit.

Paisley Hibby
22-06-2012, 12:58 PM
IF Rangers newco are not playing in the SPL this coming season do you think there will be a credible challenge to Celtic for the title?

Hate to say it but I think the Diet Huns will give them a run for their money - especially when the full strength version get behind them and join the Gorgie Loyal. I know that decent Yams are already worried about this.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Hate to say it but I think the Diet Huns will give them a run for their money - especially when the full strength version get behind them and join the Gorgie Loyal. I know that decent Yams are already worried about this.

No chance on both counts.

Hearts are cutting costs left, right and centre. Look at the players who are gone from last season already.

And Rangers fans are convinced this is all some conspiracy against them, they arent likely to go lining the pockets of a club who have publicly said they will not back them.

Bristolhibby
22-06-2012, 01:03 PM

The Yams are skint.

Last season was their last hurrah.

J

Captain Trips
22-06-2012, 01:08 PM
This is why I am so fed up with everything that has gone on over past 2/3 seasons. The club should have been in a position by now of taking full advantage of this situation. I am not saying push Celtic but be right up there for 2nd. As it happens we have been so badly run in the footballing department we will be lucky for 5th.

Hibbyradge
22-06-2012, 01:11 PM

If Vlad keeps his word and votes the huns out, they won't be getting any support from that quarter.

Jim44
22-06-2012, 01:14 PM
This is why I am so fed up with everything that has gone on over past 2/3 seasons. The club should have been in a position by now of taking full advantage of this situation. I am not saying push Celtic but be right up there for 2nd. As it happens we have been so badly run in the footballing department we will be lucky for 5th.

I'd settle for 5th right now. :greengrin

Niffy
22-06-2012, 01:17 PM
I was just thinking about how much Celtic will suffer financially if Rangers get popped out of te SPL .. seeing as they'll still try to pay stupid wages.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-06-2012, 01:28 PM
No, and unfortunately we'll be nearer bottom than top once again.

Andy74
22-06-2012, 01:53 PM
No, and unfortunately we'll be nearer bottom than top once again.

I think we can only take a call on that once we see what our squad looks like. We've a lot of scope and we all start at nothing. Other teams are losing players too and slashing budgets and we start the season with a manager who wants to be here and is working hard.

If we can even just punch at our weight, not even above it, we can be thereabouts at the business end.

ian cruise
22-06-2012, 02:05 PM
I think we can only take a call on that once we see what our squad looks like. We've a lot of scope and we all start at nothing. Other teams are losing players too and slashing budgets and we start the season with a manager who wants to be here and is working hard.

If we can even just punch at our weight, not even above it, we can be thereabouts at the business end.

I agree. Though i have a strange feeling wee will end up 4th or 5th for some reason. But no point getting overly worried about next season till we start seeing what squad we and the other teams we are competing against have.

PeeJay
22-06-2012, 02:06 PM

If our club management/owners had any ambition and vision then they would be pulling out all the stops to put a package in place that can make a challenge - personally I think our club will bottle it and lose out on a great opportunity.

I suspect another club will be up for the challenge however, unlike ours which will just bumble along - hoping something good turns up. TBH, this realisation distraughts me more than losing some Scottish Cup final!

Andy74
22-06-2012, 02:09 PM
If our club management/owners had any ambition and vision then they would be pulling out all the stops to put a package in place that can make a challenge - personally I think our club will bottle it and lose out on a great opportunity.

I suspect another club will be up for the challenge however, unlike ours which will just bumble along - hoping something good turns up. TBH, this realisation distraughts me more than losing some Scottish Cup final!

So signing a player from the 3rd placed team shows what?

What do you suggest we can do with about 5,000 season ticket holders, increased debt and losses for the last couple of years?

R'Albin
22-06-2012, 02:28 PM
It's only a matter of time before Celtic begin to suffer because of this. Give it 3/4 seasons of winning the championship with absolutely no real challenger and season ticket sales are going to slowly decline. Celtic had very poor season ticket sales at the end of their 9 in a row, because the fans had absolutely no reason to go. Eventually winning does get tiresome.

This time round it will be even worse, as they're never going to get very far in Europe, and they're guarenteed a league win. They literally have nothing to play for next season.

So give it a few years when season ticket sales are dwindling, and Lawell has to cut costs a little, then we have a very good chance of seeing a legitimate contender. Until then though, it will be a foregone conclusion.

Dashing Bob S
22-06-2012, 02:41 PM
One thing worth remembering is that the gap may well be smaller between Celtic and 'the rest'.

Reason being that clubs can lose a maximum of 24 points to the OF a season as it stands, with most losing at least 16 say. The season ahead will see clubs only able to lose a maximum of 12.

Celtic will undoubtedly win the league but if your betting on margins etc It's probably worth bearing the above in mind.

Yes, the real excitement will be the battle for 2nd rather than third. I think Celtic might be dragged down a bit, in the manner of the half-decent pool player who has to get through a bunch of shuffling alcoholics.

c31
22-06-2012, 02:41 PM
It's only a matter of time before Celtic begin to suffer because of this. Give it 3/4 seasons of winning the championship with absolutely no real challenger and season ticket sales are going to slowly decline. Celtic had very poor season ticket sales at the end of their 9 in a row, because the fans had absolutely no reason to go. Eventually winning does get tiresome.

This time round it will be even worse, as they're never going to get very far in Europe, and they're guarenteed a league win. They literally have nothing to play for next season.

So give it a few years when season ticket sales are dwindling, and Lawell has to cut costs a little, then we have a very good chance of seeing a legitimate contender. Until then though, it will be a foregone conclusion.

They are ready suffering, in the past they have a two tear price structure, games with the huns and games without and losing games with the huns will cost them millions as all the seaon tickets will now all be the lower price.

Andy74
22-06-2012, 02:43 PM
They are ready suffering, in the past they have a two tear price structure, games with the huns and games without and losing games with the huns will cost them millions as all the seaon tickets will now all be the lower price.

We just have a steady tear structure.

R'Albin
22-06-2012, 02:43 PM

I thought it would take slightly longer than this to be honest, I thought the Celtic fans would all be desperate to get a season ticket this year as it was the first year without the Huns.

jgl07
22-06-2012, 02:52 PM

It is enough to make anyone cry!

alfie
22-06-2012, 03:02 PM
We just have a steady tear structure.

I thought it was a bleeding tears structure we had? :confused:

brydekirk
22-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Celtic will need to cut back aswell, if they don't do anything in europe they will hace to cut back even further. I can also see them loosing some of thier support aswell.

jgl07
22-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Celtic will need to cut back aswell, if they don't do anything in europe they will hace to cut back even further. I can also see them loosing some of thier support aswell.

It will become progressively harder for Celtic to progress in Europe. This will follow from the decline in the coefficient. A one time the Champions went straight into the Group Stages while the runners' up had one qualifying round. From the season after next only the Champions will get into the CL and will face three qualifying rounds.

This coming season may be Celtics last good shot at the Group Stages. They have only two qualifying rounds to go and could well be seeded in both rounds. Unless they have a good run this coming season they could drop 15 to 20 places in the rankings from their current 63rd place.

Strip away CL cash and the financial gap may well decline considerably.

DH1875
22-06-2012, 04:06 PM
People confuse me at times. You don't need a team to compete with celtic. All you need is a team who is good enough to beat the rest. Will that team be us, I doubt it but don't see why Utd couldn't put a wee run of results together and push them. Remember there's NO rangers to drop points to and the Yams will be guff.

Andy74
22-06-2012, 04:14 PM
People confuse me at times. You don't need a team to compete with celtic. All you need is a team who is good enough to beat the rest. Will that team be us, I doubt it but don't see why Utd couldn't put a wee run of results together and push them. Remember there's NO rangers to drop points to and the Yams will be guff.

You need to compete with the results that Celtic will get is what people mean. As well as being able to get some results against them if you really want to challenge them.

In any given year any team can go on a run.

chrisski33
22-06-2012, 04:28 PM
The Yams are skint.

Last season was their last hurrah.

J

folk have been saying this abouts for ages thats they are skint and theyre going bust!

one thing for sure is we wont challenge for the league but maybe the following yr if oat gets his team.

The_Todd
22-06-2012, 04:38 PM
The last time Rangers were on the ropes, Celtic rested on their laurels and didn't spend a penny more than they had to because they didn't need to. If Rangers are out of the picture entirely I don't see Celtic splashing the cash, they won't need to at all. The gap may well shrink.

erin go bragh
22-06-2012, 05:57 PM
much more chance of the huns getting behind killie ,as they look like they will vote yes [maybe thats their chairmans plan ]
:cb
Celtic will have the league won by xmas .

ggtth

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I'd like us to start competing with St Mirren and Inverness before we start with playing in the champions league. :rolleyes:

DH1875
22-06-2012, 06:19 PM
You need to compete with the results that Celtic will get is what people mean. As well as being able to get some results against them if you really want to challenge them.

In any given year any team can go on a run.

I know that but that's kinda my point. Which ever club it would be would only need to compete with celtic on the field, not off it. Lets be honest, the standards aint that high. A team half as good as celtics would probably win against the rest and while you might drop points against celtic there will be days they drop points. A couple of draws against celtic and then the team would have a chance. They only need to be good enough to beat the rest.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I know that but that's kinda my point. Which ever club it would be would only need to compete with celtic on the field, not off it. Lets be honest, the standards aint that high. A team half as good as celtics would probably win against the rest and while you might drop points against celtic there will be days they drop points. A couple of draws against celtic and then the team would have a chance. They only need to be good enough to beat the rest.

Can you think of ANY reason with what you describe above, how that team might be Hibs?

DH1875
22-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Can you think of ANY reason with what you describe above, how that team might be Hibs?

Erm....................No :boo hoo:.

Matty_Jack04
22-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Celtic will weaken IMO there not going to pay players 20k a week just to play a handful of euro ties and games against the like of us, theyl start cashing in on the likes of hopper and Ki before next season as they won't get the prices quoted now

Albion Hibs
22-06-2012, 07:18 PM
No. Celtic will walk the league until "rangers" work there way back up, and for a good few years after.

SouthamptonHibs
22-06-2012, 07:22 PM
In Fenlon we trust....Rod splash the cash we are only 15 great signings required to win the league hail hail

joe breezy
22-06-2012, 08:15 PM
No chance on both counts.

Hearts are cutting costs left, right and centre. Look at the players who are gone from last season already.

And Rangers fans are convinced this is all some conspiracy against them, they arent likely to go lining the pockets of a club who have publicly said they will not back them.

I went to Tynecastle School and the number of people who alternated between Hearts and Rangers was significant, it was kids but still plenty people

snooky
22-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Another factor is that the powers that be ensured it was a two horse race. Any team challenging that status found their key players gathering bookings and sending offs for trivialities. Rangers always got the key decisions however, Celtc got their fair share against the rest of the sides to 'show' that there wasn't an agenda against them. (God, I'm sounding just like a darkheider).
No need for bias reffing now. So, although Celtc will still be strongest, I think the gap will close.
That's my 2d worth.

tamig
23-06-2012, 12:00 AM

Wishful thinking more than reality I suspect. Every time it looks like they're about to implode they just seem to step up a gear. I don't see next season being any different. They will be up there challenging sellick for sure. Much as I hate to say it.

hibiedude
23-06-2012, 07:55 AM
If/when Rangers get booted out the SPL I fully expect Celtic to be 25+ plus points clear come end of the season.

No one will get close enough to pose a threat to them' and as a side bet I fully expect hearts to sack their yet un-name manager if he dosen't start well.....if it wasn't for Romanov there would fun in the SPL. : )