PDA

View Full Version : Would it be possible? (Hibs LFC games at Easter Road?)

beensaidbefore
21-06-2012, 09:14 PM
As a way of generating extra revenue at ER, as well as encouraging more folk along, would it be possible to have hibs ladies playing before the 1st team on matchdays. say a 12.30 KO, then the usual 3pm. For an extra £20 -£50 quid on season tickets you could get to see the ladies games too, maybe even giving ladies fans the opportunity to get discounted first team tickets?

There may be a glaringinly obvious reason why this wouldnt be possible, so forgive my ignorance, as im not too knowledgable about the ladies set up and how affiliated they are with ER etc. Just a thought though to try and get more folk along.

Wotherspiniesta
21-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Seriously?

You'd want Hibs fans to pay an extra £20 - £50? .......To watch womens football?

Pretty Boy
21-06-2012, 09:19 PM
It's actually not a bad idea imo.

However I know Hibs are very protective of the pitch at ER. Also uptake would have to be sufficient to cover Police and stewarding costs otherwise it could end up costing us cash.

Pretty Boy
21-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Seriously?

You'd want Hibs fans to pay an extra £20 - £50? .......To watch womens football?

Fastest growing sport in the world apparently.

And i think he's suggesting we pay an extra £20-£50 to support the club through what will be a tough few years financially.

steakbake
21-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Too long a day. Sometimes 90 minutes is too long!

beensaidbefore
21-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Seriously?

I think you are slightly missing the point.. say it was free addition to season ticket holders, would that be an incentive for anyone? I doubt it unless they already had an interest in the womens set up, and if they do they would be prepared to to pay a smallish sum for the privelidge id imagine.

Marketing it correctly could encourage more of the fairer sex to attend matches, friends, family of women players etc..

Sir David Gray
21-06-2012, 09:27 PM
It's been bad enough going to Easter Road to watch our men's team over the past few years without having to sit and watch the women's team as well!

Wotherspiniesta
21-06-2012, 09:29 PM

And i think he's suggesting we pay an extra £20-£50 to support the club through what will be a tough few years financially.

I've no doubt it will be a tough few years financially, but the board have been asking Hibs fans to dig deep in our pockets for years now by bumping up prices of season tickets, food at matches etc. And for what? The product on the park is crap and we've been getting progressively worse teams for the last 3 years now. If Rod can get us to spend upwards of 50 quid to watch lassies play football then he's an even better businessman than I give him credit for.

judas
21-06-2012, 09:29 PM
As a way of generating extra revenue at ER, as well as encouraging more folk along, would it be possible to have hibs ladies playing before the 1st team on matchdays. say a 12.30 KO, then the usual 3pm. For an extra £20 -£50 quid on season tickets you could get to see the ladies games too, maybe even giving ladies fans the opportunity to get discounted first team tickets?

There may be a glaringinly obvious reason why this wouldnt be possible, so forgive my ignorance, as im not too knowledgable about the ladies set up and how affiliated they are with ER etc. Just a thought though to try and get more folk along.

No. I don't find them very attractive and I think they are a bit manly tbh. It would not bring me along to the game any earlier.

beensaidbefore
21-06-2012, 09:31 PM
It's actually not a bad idea imo.

However I know Hibs are very protective of the pitch at ER. Also uptake would have to be sufficient to cover Police and stewarding costs otherwise it could end up costing us cash.

The pitch was the one concern i had tbh. Not sure what kind of attendances there are at womens games, i doubt enough to fill more than part of the main stand so it may be possible to keep policing costs down. I suppose it would be determined how many season tickets took up the offer, and whether they would remain in the same seat for both matches... could be a lonely match for some folk scattered about the place.

beensaidbefore
21-06-2012, 09:32 PM
No. I don't find them very attractive and I think they are a bit manly tbh. It would not bring me along to the game any earlier.

should i read from that comment that there are a few in the first team you have the hots for? come on spill the beans....:cb

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I'd prefer to have the womens team parade around the pitch wearing bikinis holding up boards with the half time scores, rather than that silly electronic thing in the dunbar end.

That might be worth an extra £50 a season.

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Was it not a load of ladies we watched last season at Easter Road?

JohnStephens91
21-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I'd prefer to have the womens team parade around the pitch wearing bikinis holding up boards with the half time scores, rather than that silly electronic thing in the dunbar end.

That might be worth an extra £50 a season.

Are the Hibs ladies team attractive? Surely though we would be told it would be the women's team doing the bikini wearing but it will be Rod and Fife coming out in mankinis with the back fully wedged in their crewe tolls. Business is business after all.

JohnStephens91
21-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Was it not a load of ladies we watched last season at Easter Road?

Nope, at least ladies play with heart most of the time.

Hibs Class
21-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Seriously?

That reminds me of a sketch on Not the Nine o'clock News. Sadly I cannot find the clip on youtube but I'm sure a few .netters will know the one I'm thinking of!

Magnifique
21-06-2012, 10:02 PM
That reminds me of a sketch on Not the Nine o'clock News. Sadly I cannot find the clip on youtube but I'm sure a few .netters will know the one I'm thinking of!

I had a similar thought but thought about a small match between the two teams youth set ups, say 13s one game, 14s next etc

I'd certainly go along early to see our young players of the future, and I'd maybe pay a couple of quid too

R'Albin
21-06-2012, 11:06 PM

And credit to Hibs for trying to capitalize on this. One of my Mum's pals had trials at quite a few premier league clubs and she said that we offer - by quite a margin - the best package. We're apparently the only team that she looked at that paid for transport costs, accomodation etc. She also says that we have very good facilities.

The idea in the OP is flawed IMO but we should be looking to go down that route. Not necessarily having them on Easter Road at matchdays as that would probably drain the fans, spending near 4 hours at the football; also £20-£50 is absolutely ludicrous. However, having them play at Easter Road would definately gain them some more exposure, and at a reasonable price may entice people to go down and watch. If they set it up correctly and inform people on the men's team's matchdays the time and location next week's women's game will be at, then it could help Hibs Ladies and Hibernian football club as a whole.

Graham Law
22-06-2012, 03:35 AM
May be a few logistical problem in that the first team have to go through the warm up as do the visitors ?

lyonhibs
22-06-2012, 08:19 AM
I've no doubt it will be a tough few years financially, but the board have been asking Hibs fans to dig deep in our pockets for years now by bumping up prices of season tickets, food at matches etc. And for what? The product on the park is crap and we've been getting progressively worse teams for the last 3 years now. If Rod can get us to spend upwards of 50 quid to watch lassies play football then he's an even better businessman than I give him credit for.

My reaction to the notion of paying thru'pence ha'penny to watch women's football, let alone £20-£50 a year, can be accurately summarised by the expression in your avatar!!!

Revenue streams to be explored fully are those that will be much more profitable as (or, if I were to resign myself to next season being a repeat of the last 3, if) the 1st team improves.

allezsauzee
22-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I assumed it was Liverpool games that you were suggesting should be played at ER.....the answer would still be no thanks

Gatecrasher
22-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Might actually get to see Hibs win a few games:rolleyes:
seriously a decent idea and I would consider it

lucky
22-06-2012, 08:39 AM
No from me. I have no interest in woman's football. The standard is awful so why would you pay £50 for games that are men's amateur level when its available in most public parks for free. If its costing the club too much to run then make it a stand alone team

Brightside
22-06-2012, 08:41 AM
FFS. Hibs Ladies are an exceptional team. Probably best they are kept away from the majority of tubes that "support" the first team.

down-the-slope
22-06-2012, 08:43 AM
And credit to Hibs for trying to capitalize on this. One of my Mum's pals had trials at quite a few premier league clubs and she said that we offer - by quite a margin - the best package. We're apparently the only team that she looked at that paid for transport costs, accomodation etc. She also says that we have very good facilities.

The idea in the OP is flawed IMO but we should be looking to go down that route. Not necessarily having them on Easter Road at matchdays as that would probably drain the fans, spending near 4 hours at the football; also £20-£50 is absolutely ludicrous. However, having them play at Easter Road would definately gain them some more exposure, and at a reasonable price may entice people to go down and watch. If they set it up correctly and inform people on the men's team's matchdays the time and location next week's women's game will be at, then it could help Hibs Ladies and Hibernian football club as a whole.

Youngest and most sensible contribution :top marks....while some of you no doubt have your tongues in your cheeks...a good number should be ashamed of your 1950's sexism :tsk tsk:

lyonhibs
22-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Youngest and most sensible contribution :top marks....while some of you no doubt have your tongues in your cheeks...a good number should be ashamed of your 1950's sexism :tsk tsk:

Sexism would be to say that women shouldn't be playing football at all, and should be back in the kitchen making me a sandwich, which (I don't think) anyone is saying here.

Saying that Scottish domestic women's football does not have even a tiny percentage of the pull (even if Hibs are good at it) of SPL football, and is of a much lower standard (yes, lower than SPL quality football does exist, as hard as it is to believe at times) than the SPL is just realism.

Good to see that Hibs are rated as one of the best women's setups though.

Jones28
22-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Not sure about it these days but having spoken to a Hibs Ladies player she said that Hibs distanced themselves from the womans team as much as possible. They were not allowed to use training facilites and recieved next to nothing from the club. Not sure if things have changed as I would like something like this to happen :agree:

Obviously concerns about the pitch for the first team - not sure how many games they play in a season but even an extra 10 would have a noticable impact.

And FWIW, womens football is not as bad as is being made out to be, I sure would have rather watched the Ladies team last year than the First team :cool2:

Malthibby
22-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Saw a good few women's games a couple of years back & thoroughly enjoyed them, particularly beating up the Glasgow teams. The
state of the pitch would be the main problem for me if used on a regular basis, & I'm not sure I could cope with the extra pies
& bovril I would need to comsume. Some sort of occasional bounce game or similar for PR would be worth considering, it is a
growing part of foootie & we are currently well equipped to develop women's football talent. Kim Little is a good example of what's
possible, even if she had to go down to Arsenal to further her career.
GG

dangermouse
22-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Is that the one about women's international football? :wink:

Andy74
22-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I doubt there'd be enoguh interest to justify the outlay on opening the stadium early and stewarding/catering etc.

You could just see a few thousand hibbies making sure they left the pub ealry for this right enough?

Plus the high heels would be murder for the pitch.

Twa Cairpets
22-06-2012, 09:37 AM
No. I don't find them very attractive and I think they are a bit manly tbh. It would not bring me along to the game any earlier. I'm sure they'd find you entirely irresistable

No from me. I have no interest in woman's football. The standard is awful so why would you pay £50 for games that are men's amateur level when its available in most public parks for free. If its costing the club too much to run then make it a stand alone team

Seriously?

I'm tempted to give the benefit of the doubt to some of the posters here, but I'm not going to.

You have quite clearly not seen any womens football - certainly at the top level - if your attitudes are this deeply entrenched in the '70s. Casual sexism towards womens/girls football. Well done guys, really the way to get girls and women engaged in football

As someone has said, womens/girls football is the fastest growing sport in the world. If for no other reason, Hibs - and we as fans - should be looking to capitlise on the increased numbers and interest amongst girls to get them and their parents to ER.

The Scotland womens team are very good - I've been to the last few internationals, and they have been technically excellent matches, as well as exciting, and they have a better chance of qualifying for the finals of a tournament than a mens team do in the next few years.Their is also some serious talent in the girls game - I've seen quite a lot of it through my daughters involvement in the game.

I had also seen very little of the dismissive Sid James type attitude - I thought we'd got beyond that. What a shame that this type of view raises its head on Hibs net.

Brightside
22-06-2012, 09:43 AM
The guys on here slagging it off wouldnt even get on the bench in the girls u13 team.

Andy74
22-06-2012, 09:57 AM
The guys on here slagging it off wouldnt even get on the bench in the girls u13 team.

That's a hell of an argument.

Look, Women's football is a different game and has it's own place, that's great. That doesn't mean fans of the men's game need to like it or be supportive of it.

I'm a Hibs fan and whilst some do I care very little about the ladies team, it's just not a game I'm interested in.

That's very different from suggesting that women would not be welcome watching the men's team so let's not suggest this has to do with sexism in football. Thery are just different things to watch.

Anyway, it's about time the complete sexism in the netball world was addressed long before football.

crossy1875
22-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Main problem is the ladies league is on a sunday, and too anyone who thinks lassies cannae play footy come and watch Hibs girls U17s play and that might change your mind :thumbsup:

Brightside
22-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Look, Women's football is a different game and has it's own place, that's great. That doesn't mean fans of the men's game need to like it or be supportive of it.

I'm a Hibs fan and whilst some do I care very little about the ladies team, it's just not a game I'm interested in.

That's very different from suggesting that women would not be welcome watching the men's team so let's not suggest this has to do with sexism in football. Thery are just different things to watch.

Anyway, it's about time the complete sexism in the netball world was addressed long before football.

Its a negative, blinkered view. As some others have said - go and watch some of the girls play now and they might hopefully change your mind. The main difference is the girls dont roll around the floor like jessies if they get tackled!

Andy74
22-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Its a negative, blinkered view. As some others have said - go and watch some of the girls play now and they might hopefully change your mind. The main difference is the girls dont roll around the floor like jessies if they get tackled!

Like Jessies? Way to support the girls cause.

Brightside
22-06-2012, 10:24 AM
*wooosh*

joe breezy
22-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Remember it well...

Changing tops at the end of the game :)

Andy74
22-06-2012, 10:35 AM
*wooosh*

No, I think maybe you don't get it.

You were suggesting the blokes were acting 'like Jessies'.

The term Jessie suggests that they were acting like girls, a bit soft.

That's a bit demenaing to those girls you are supporting.

Brightside
22-06-2012, 10:45 AM
It was obviously a joke - hence the woosh!

Twa Cairpets
22-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Actually, as it happens, I think it is different, and I personally dont think it would be good to have the games on before SPL games. To relegate it to some type of curiosity or sideshow for voyeuristic apparaisal by the likes of judas above would be hugely disrespectful to the players of both teams.
You're right, its not something you're morally obliged to be interested in. I cant abide rugby for instance - I don't care about the results, I don't care how Scotland or Edinburgh do. I just don't give a hoot, and its the same for your feeling towards womens football.

What grinds my gears is the casual "it's *****e" "the burdz ur ugly" mentality that is on here from some (not necessarily you) when they clearly know less than FA about the game or the standard. Harking back to the attitude of not the non o'clock news, with a stifled s****** about how they might get to see boobies (ooh-err) if they change their tops? Pathetic.

Leishy1995
22-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Main problem is the ladies league is on a sunday, and too anyone who thinks lassies cannae play footy come and watch Hibs girls U17s play and that might change your mind :thumbsup:

Little sister plays in that team. They actually play very good football. Could easily rival boys teams.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm tempted to give the benefit of the doubt to some of the posters here, but I'm not going to.

You have quite clearly not seen any womens football - certainly at the top level - if your attitudes are this deeply entrenched in the '70s. Casual sexism towards womens/girls football. Well done guys, really the way to get girls and women engaged in football

As someone has said, womens/girls football is the fastest growing sport in the world. If for no other reason, Hibs - and we as fans - should be looking to capitlise on the increased numbers and interest amongst girls to get them and their parents to ER.

The Scotland womens team are very good - I've been to the last few internationals, and they have been technically excellent matches, as well as exciting, and they have a better chance of qualifying for the finals of a tournament than a mens team do in the next few years.Their is also some serious talent in the girls game - I've seen quite a lot of it through my daughters involvement in the game.

I had also seen very little of the dismissive Sid James type attitude - I thought we'd got beyond that. What a shame that this type of view raises its head on Hibs net.

My comment was tongue in cheek, i personally have no interest in womens football, and have no desire whatsoever to pay a penny more for my season ticket for what i regard as a vastly inferior product. And thats saying something after what i have watched the last few seasons.

If they were to play at easter road, and i have my doubts because of pitch issues, they could play AFTER the game. You might get some folk stay and watch, and fair play to them if thats what they like.

flash
22-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Little sister plays in that team. They actually play very good football. Could easily rival boys teams.

Aye so they could.

Leishy1995
22-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Aye so they could.

I've played against boys teams. I know they could.

TheEastTerrace
22-06-2012, 11:32 AM
I think this would be a good idea if Easter Road was a more attractive place to be around pre-match. I know you have hospitality, but that comes at a price most of us can't afford. Behind the Goals is in the FF but there is nothing in the west or east stand for the average punter just pie stands and the bookies.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you could come to the ground early and have a couple of beers in the concourse, watch a bit of Ladies fitbaw, get some atmosphere flowing with the Sect 43 lads, have some activities for the youngsters etc, etc it might be worth considering.

Twa Cairpets
22-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Aye so they could.

I've refereed both boys and girls teams at various age groups, and there is absolutely no doubt that the best of the girls teams could compete with the majority of boys teams - not at the strongest levels, where the physicality comes into play more, and I'd suggest as a result of this not when you get to u17, but at soccer sevens and up to 14s (u15s for girls), you'd be surprised at the lack of difference. There are also many more girlsplayingin mixed teams now, who are seen as footballers first, girls second.

What is also undoubtedly the case is that almost all girls teams I have seen try to play with the ball on the deck. There is almost no aimless hoofing - technically, a lot of the football is better, particualrly compared to some of the teams below the elite leagues in boys football.

Leishy1995
22-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I think this would be a good idea if Easter Road was a more attractive place to be around pre-match. I know you have hospitality, but that comes at a price most of us can't afford. Behind the Goals is in the FF but there is nothing in the west or east stand for the average punter just pie stands and the bookies.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you could come to the ground early and have a couple of beers in the concourse, watch a bit of Ladies fitbaw, get some atmosphere flowing with the Sect 43 lads, have some activities for the youngsters etc, etc it might be worth considering.

Section 43 already go to the under 17s games for girls.

Shearer
22-06-2012, 11:39 AM
I've refereed both boys and girls teams at various age groups, and there is absolutely no doubt that the best of the girls teams could compete with the majority of boys teams - not at the strongest levels, where the physicality comes into play more, and I'd suggest as a result of this not when you get to u17, but at soccer sevens and up to 14s (u15s for girls), you'd be surprised at the lack of difference. There are also many more girlsplayingin mixed teams now, who are seen as footballers first, girls second.

What is also undoubtedly the case is that almost all girls teams I have seen try to play with the ball on the deck. There is almost no aimless hoofing - technically, a lot of the football is better, particualrly compared to some of the teams below the elite leagues in boys football.

Totally agree, my ex girlfriend played for Hibs ladies last season, and about 2 years ago they beat Hibs u-19 boys 3-2. Its just that the guys are stronger and faster thats the main difference.

Brightside
22-06-2012, 11:41 AM

+1

chrisski33
22-06-2012, 11:54 AM
It's been bad enough going to Easter Road to watch our men's team over the past few years without having to sit and watch the women's team as well!

Dunno but im pretty sure the womens team has been doing better than the men in recent times!

SouthamptonHibs
22-06-2012, 11:57 AM
100% against this

The playing pitch at Easter Road should be used for the Hibs (mens team only), not interested in womans football. Hibs should be spending every penny on the mens team (youth development, under 19's and first team).
i'm not trying to have adig at the ladies team they have there place but apart from the Name and maybe the use of the training facilites when the Hibs men and youths team don't rquire them i can't see a need for Hibs to spend money on it.

Hibernian FC should be all about the mens team

Brightside
22-06-2012, 12:02 PM
100% against this

The playing pitch at Easter Road should be used for the Hibs (mens team only), not interested in womans football. Hibs should be spending every penny on the mens team (youth development, under 19's and first team).
i'm not trying to have adig at the ladies team they have there place but apart from the Name and maybe the use of the training facilites when the Hibs men and youths team don't rquire them i can't see a need for Hibs to spend money on it.

Hibernian FC should be all about the mens team

Crazy attitude. More and more revenue will come in from females in the coming decades. Now is the time for Hibs to invest in what will be a prime income stream for them.

flash
22-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Totally agree, my ex girlfriend played for Hibs ladies last season, and about 2 years ago they beat Hibs u-19 boys 3-2. Its just that the guys are stronger and faster thats the main difference.

So they did.

allezsauzee
22-06-2012, 12:05 PM
How does this Ladies football work? Normally when they see that somebody else has turned up with the same outfit they want to go home, do they need to accessorise their strips or something?

SouthamptonHibs
22-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Crazy attitude. More and more revenue will come in from females in the coming decades. Now is the time for Hibs to invest in what will be a prime income stream for them.

I can't share your optimism on this. Can't see it making any money! The standard of wimans football is poor can't see why 100's /1000s of people would go to watch it. Add in the fact that each year more and more games are live on TV from England, Scotland Germany etc. I think if anything its going to be harder to attract folk to watch live mens football as most matches are to tv, never mind womans football!

Shearer
22-06-2012, 12:29 PM
So they did.

Cheers for agreeing mate

DH1875
22-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Where's the pictures? Canne make my mind up without pictures :confused:.

R'Albin
22-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Thanks, my posts have been described as lots of things in my time on here but sensible isn't usually one of them :greengrin

Hainan Hibs
22-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Women and football, it's just wrong.

Just stick to New Look or the kitchen on a Saturday ladies and stop humilating your sex.

bob12345
22-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Interesting thread here. Firstly, on the topic of women's football - it has came on leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. It will only continue to grow so those who think it's still a poor product are sadly mistaken, which will be proven in years to come. Hibs are very lucky to have a top class club that was playing in their name and I believe are embracing them a little more now than years gone by, which is positive to hear.

Comparisons with men's football are pointless. Like national competition winning youth teams, paralympic athletes, etc, they are competing at the very top level of what is available to them.

On the actual topic in hand, playing matches back to back, I am in agreement that it would cut up Easter Road and not be a good idea. What I think WOULD be a good idea is for a team with a 3G pitch to pioneer this, either with a women's or a youth team match. As someone mentioned previously, you couldn't just stack 4 hours of football with no side attractions. But if you could put enough off pitch entertainment on for it to be a family day out and have a load of stuff on the go in the 'build up to the big game' I reckon it could work.

Andy74
22-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Interesting thread here. Firstly, on the topic of women's football - it has came on leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. It will only continue to grow so those who think it's still a poor product are sadly mistaken, which will be proven in years to come. Hibs are very lucky to have a top class club that was playing in their name and I believe are embracing them a little more now than years gone by, which is positive to hear.

Comparisons with men's football are pointless. Like national competition winning youth teams, paralympic athletes, etc, they are competing at the very top level of what is available to them.

On the actual topic in hand, playing matches back to back, I am in agreement that it would cut up Easter Road and not be a good idea. What I think WOULD be a good idea is for a team with a 3G pitch to pioneer this, either with a women's or a youth team match. As someone mentioned previously, you couldn't just stack 4 hours of football with no side attractions. But if you could put enough off pitch entertainment on for it to be a family day out and have a load of stuff on the go in the 'build up to the big game' I reckon it could work.

It might have come on, but is it growing as a spectator sport? I'd wager it is not in the UK and nor will it.

The US and other places is different as they view soccer as a sport for girls and kids anyway.

It's a different game from the mens game so why the pressure for us fans of the men's game to like it?

VickMackie
22-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Two hibs first team ladies trained with one of my old amateur teams a few seasons back. Both Scotland internationals and they wouldn't have got in our team.

Suzanne who plays up front for Celtic now, iirc, was good and probably could have played for us if it wasn't for the physical aspect.

Leishy1995
22-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Hibs actually have 3 ladies teams, one in each divisiona aswell. So almost every young player gets a chance to develop. It's a better system than the current no reserve league policy the SPL is using

Wotherspiniesta
22-06-2012, 05:30 PM

:rolleyes:

Womens football is pish. That's why I don't want to watch it, never mind PAY to watch it. I don't have a problem with women playing football. I just find it crap.

According to you that makes me a sexist? Well sir- :giruy:

R'Albin
22-06-2012, 06:02 PM

To be fair, people are entitled to whatever their opinion is, just because they believe that Women's football is pish doesn't mean that they are 'sexist' it just means that they don't enjoy the sport, which is fair enough. Just because I don't like rugby doesn't mean that I've got something against the people who play it, I just don't find it entertaining in the slightest. Just because they don't enjoy the sport doesn't mean we should be dismissing them as sexists.

However I also enjoy some Women's football and I definately agree there is a lot of talent in the female game. I believe that Hibs should make a bigger deal of it and advertise at games, hold it at a bigger venue etc. However that doesn't mean that I think they should be forcing it down people's throats.

bob12345
22-06-2012, 06:46 PM
It might have come on, but is it growing as a spectator sport? I'd wager it is not in the UK and nor will it.

The US and other places is different as they view soccer as a sport for girls and kids anyway.

It's a different game from the mens game so why the pressure for us fans of the men's game to like it?

Absolutely no pressure to like it, or watch it. However I don't agree with those who are berating it, which I believe many in this thread have been.

I honestly couldn't tell you what attendance numbers are like, but for the future I would reckon it's largely dependent on having youth sections buy into the first team. Take the example of Hibs (which could be exchanged for any decent sized ladies and girls outfit) having 3 adult teams, 3 youth teams and probably something for the youngest kids too. If they can get all of those players, with a parent or friend, coming along to support the team, they could easily get a decent sized attendance at games. So if it wants to be a spectator sport, it could be, but I don't know if there's any real urge to go down this path.

Albion Hibs
22-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Getting away from the debate of the standard of womens football i will go back to basics - our pitch is cack, and it has been for years. Playing double the amount of games on it would be a disaster.

That said, the pitch aside, if we got the youth leagues back and played those games before hand i dare say that would bring in additional punters and be a great learning experience for the next generation of possible players.

beensaidbefore
24-06-2012, 12:14 AM
i think a fair few people got caught up on little details of a hypothetical question and consequently missed the point, however there seems to be a few sensible reasons why something along these llines wouldn't really be a viable option. Would be interesting though to explore further if we ever did move to a 3g pitch as somebody said, where we could try to make saturdays at easter road appeal to more people for more reasons, i.e youth games in the morning, entertainment on the pitch without fear of wrecking it etc.

Sunny1875
24-06-2012, 06:18 AM

The womens team has played with more skill, passion and Baws than the mens team over the last couple of years. I think it would be a good idea to get them along to ER at least a couple of times to play this season, early August might be a shout