PDA

View Full Version : School project - Hibs and south Africa?

hibsfan
21-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Can anyone help me out? Have any south African players ever played for Hibs?

hibbybrian
21-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Stuart Turnbull - although most would contend that Wendy never played for Hibs :greengrin

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player3.php?playerid=842

Kato
21-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Dunno about South African players but we signed Alan Gordon and, I think, Jim Herriot from South African teams. Gordon playing in Durban when Turnbull signed iirc.

jgl07
21-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Not the question you asked but centre half Jackie Plenderleith signed for Cape Town City after leaving Manchester City in 1963.

He earlier made 123 appearances for Hibs between 1954 and 1960.

JohnStephens91
21-06-2012, 09:52 PM
A bit off topic but my old high school, James Gillespie's, has a link with a school in South Africa called Durban and some of our footballers go over when they are in S6 along with other students to help the young children in Zwelibanzi. Personally I never went, but if you are looking for any information about it I can help you out. I think Conrad Balatoni (ex-Jambo, now at Partick) went there and helped with social things as well as maybe playing football with them. A couple of others are now in America playing for University teams, but I can flesh out some information for you if it is along the same lines of the project you are doing. :aok: