PDA

View Full Version : Particular Graffiti in Edinburgh

s2hart
18-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Just been reading on 'Lost Edinburgh' Facebook page regarding graffiti around Edinburgh over the years, people were going on about one particular in the 90's 'McCabe Grass' around Sighthill area I do remember it but does anyone know the story behind it? People think its something to do with a drugs!?

BarneyBreslin
18-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Was all over Dalry as well when I stayed there in the nineties. Don't know the full story but whoever was doing it made a grand job of getting the message across. It was everywhere.

Pretty Boy
18-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Just been reading on 'Lost Edinburgh' Facebook page regarding graffiti around Edinburgh over the years, people were going on about one particular in the 90's 'McCabe Grass' around Sighthill area I do remember it but does anyone know the story behind it? People think its something to do with a drugs!?

Not sure if its related but there was similar around Oxgangs about the same time.

Different name but was along the lines of 'xxxxx grass'. The story with that one was definitely drugs related and the person who was mentioned in the graffiti committed suicide.

Pete
19-06-2012, 03:33 AM

I was told it was someone from Broomhouse who grassed on drug dealers.

Memory is hazy so might be wrong.

Pretty Boy
19-06-2012, 07:30 AM
I was told it was someone from Broomhouse who grassed on drug dealers.

Memory is hazy so might be wrong.

This managed to arouse my curiosity somewhat so done a wee bit digging.

Best source I could come up with was actually Kickback. According to them its all a bit of a non story. One guy grassed another for involvement in relatively small scale drugs, the graffiti was about as bad as the retribution got seemingly.

Also asked around re the other graffiti that I mentioned around Oxgangs. The name that escaped me earlier was 'Fergie' and the graffiti was 'Fergie fat grass'. Sadly that story seems far more sinister. Seems my earlier recollection was accurate and whether through a reaction to the 'publicity' or genuine fear he did indeed take his own life.

The story seems a bit all over the place but rumour has it that the character Feardie Fergie from Ian Rankins Black and Blue was loosely based on him.

VickMackie
19-06-2012, 07:49 AM
There was one on the side of a Hyvots block for aslong as I could remember. It was xxxxxx fat grass cow. Can't remember the name but it was there for years.

There was also a 'mention' young gillie '89' on a shop shutters until a year or two back.

lyonhibs
19-06-2012, 11:21 AM
There used to some permanent graffiti on the bus stop on London Road by The Masala Pot heading into town. It was all about some lassie, whose name escapes me, and how she was a cow, slut and god knows what else. Every week it would get scrubbed off, and every week it would come back.

There was also the whole "Who is Ryder" (was it Ryder??) thing around the centre of town, that turned out was by some student of anthropology or some other slightly ****y but interesting subject, as a project to see how people reacted as a mass to a repeated message on a subject they knew nothing of.

Gatecrasher
19-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Thats a great facebook page :agree:

givescotlandfreedom
19-06-2012, 01:24 PM
OE is everywhere in the city. Someone told me it's a group called Own Edinburgh?

The_Exile
19-06-2012, 02:16 PM
There's the letters 'V O M' in Musselburgh, absolutely everywhere, no idea what it means, I like graffiti if it's tasteful/artistic/creative but this "tagging" is just utterly woeful.

Pete
19-06-2012, 02:45 PM
This managed to arouse my curiosity somewhat so done a wee bit digging.

Best source I could come up with was actually Kickback. According to them its all a bit of a non story. One guy grassed another for involvement in relatively small scale drugs, the graffiti was about as bad as the retribution got seemingly.

Also asked around re the other graffiti that I mentioned around Oxgangs. The name that escaped me earlier was 'Fergie' and the graffiti was 'Fergie fat grass'. Sadly that story seems far more sinister. Seems my earlier recollection was accurate and whether through a reaction to the 'publicity' or genuine fear he did indeed take his own life.

The story seems a bit all over the place but rumour has it that the character Feardie Fergie from Ian Rankins Black and Blue was loosely based on him.

I remember him from primary school. Fergus macfarlane was his name and he was in my sisters class. Don't know the background but its sad that it came to that.

As for other graffiti...I see "mate" and "yeah" everywhere I go in edinburgh. "Mate" and "yeah" and the other ones in their gang who are as frequent should do time because they are responsible for a lot of ugliness. I wouldn't mind if it was artistic.

danhibees1875
19-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I've seen 'NSA' written quite a lot around town.

I never really thought much of it, I assume it's more than some proud univeristy student promoting 'Napier Student Association' ?

s2hart
19-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Cheers for the replies. I also remembered in the early 90's 'Marilyn Clarke is a s***' also not sure the name but 'X fae the Inch has aids' Quite harsh graffiti back then!

As for people's names, FUZZY used to be everywhere late 80's early 90's, I'm sure he was a CCS boy!!

steakbake
19-06-2012, 04:36 PM
s.h.i.e.l.d

back s.h.i.e.l.d

Phil D. Rolls
19-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Anybody remember "Bay City Rollers - FAB" on the Waverley Steps and at the Back Sands in Musselburgh?

Also there used to be one "Free Mike Lynch" on a derelict site - where Scotmid is now - off West Nicolson Street.

(Both circa early 70s).

VickMackie
19-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Just spent an hour looking at the photos wi the football on in the background.

speedy_gonzales
19-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I remember him from primary school. Fergus macfarlane was his name and he was in my sisters class. Don't know the background but its sad that it came to that.

You must be mistaken, he was in MY class:greengrin, can't remember anyone with Douglas for a surname though??

Pete
20-06-2012, 01:25 AM
You must be mistaken, he was in MY class:greengrin, can't remember anyone with Douglas for a surname though??

That's not my surname. :-)
I left oxgangs in 1987 and my sister was two years above me. I'm sure Fergus was in the same class as her but maybe he was only one year above. God, that was a long time ago!
Either way the whole school knew who Fergus was. He was one of a kind back then.

Unless I'm going absolutely mad and its a different person altogether I'm thinking about.

hibsbollah
20-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Anybody remember "Bay City Rollers - FAB" on the Waverley Steps and at the Back Sands in Musselburgh?

Also there used to be one "Free Mike Lynch" on a derelict site - where Scotmid is now - off West Nicolson Street.

(Both circa early 70s).

Free Mike Lynch was a bit further towards Princes St, on the medical school wall at South Bridge directly opposite where Costa coffee is now (was James Thins Booksellers in the 70s). I walked past it every day outside Primary School.

alnewhaven
20-06-2012, 07:14 AM
There was a bay city rollers painted on a wall near the RBS at Salisbury place . Recall it was first time I'd heard the name and it was there for some time. About 71/72?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0on1vs

Kato
20-06-2012, 07:35 AM
There was a bay city rollers painted on a wall near the RBS at Salisbury place . Recall it was first time I'd heard the name and it was there for some time. About 71/72?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0on1vs

That was painted by the band themeselves all over town as a pre-myspace publicity lark.

You can still see the last vestiges of the one they did on the wee bridge over Niddrie burn between Niddrie Mill and Niddrie Mains. 40 odd years it's lasted.

My two favourite pieces of graffiti were.... (names excluded)

Castlebrae High School on a main wall about a year after it opened....

" Mr Ingles is a baldy c***, by ****** ******** ",

....signed by the 'artist' himself which shows class and balls. Silver spray paint too. Beautiful.

and

"Rab ****** f***** his cat",

.... right outside a first floor window near Hay Drive with an arrow pointing to the guys bedroom. As far as the gossip went the content displayed veracity.

Phil D. Rolls
21-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Cheers for the replies. I also remembered in the early 90's 'Marilyn Clarke is a s***' also not sure the name but 'X fae the Inch has aids' Quite harsh graffiti back then!

As for people's names, FUZZY used to be everywhere late 80's early 90's, I'm sure he was a CCS boy!!

I was trying to remember the name. There was all sorts of stuff written about her, including her dress sense.

I remember there used to be a couple on the Waverley Steps: "Jimmy Reid" and "Wattie Buchan is a plastic punk just like his shoes". Wonder what became of Wattie.

MSK
21-06-2012, 07:17 AM
I was trying to remember the name. There was all sorts of stuff written about her, including her dress sense.

I remember there used to be a couple on the Waverley Steps: "Jimmy Reid" and "Wattie Buchan is a plastic punk just like his shoes". Wonder what became of Wattie.Still with the Exploited I think ..saw him up town a few months back outside the Bank Bar ..

Hibs Class
21-06-2012, 11:42 AM
That was painted by the band themeselves all over town as a pre-myspace publicity lark.

You can still see the last vestiges of the one they did on the wee bridge over Niddrie burn between Niddrie Mill and Niddrie Mains. 40 odd years it's lasted.

My two favourite pieces of graffiti were.... (names excluded)

Castlebrae High School on a main wall about a year after it opened....

" Mr Ingles is a baldy c***, by ****** ******** ",

....signed by the 'artist' himself which shows class and balls. Silver spray paint too. Beautiful.

and

"Rab ****** f***** his cat",

.... right outside a first floor window near Hay Drive with an arrow pointing to the guys bedroom. As far as the gossip went the content displayed veracity.

You might have left a clue as to the teacher's name! :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
21-06-2012, 11:46 AM
McCabe the grass is classic :faf:

Phil D. Rolls
21-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Still with the Exploited I think ..saw him up town a few months back outside the Bank Bar ..

Same hairstyle and shoes?

Future17
21-06-2012, 01:26 PM
There was practically a novel scrawled on the bus stop outside St Paul's and St George's on York Place for about 2 months, a few years back.

It related to the adjacent buildings which housed some kind of centre which dealt with the rehabilitation and/or monitoring of paedophiles. It was pretty vitriolic and made some fairly serious claims.

Kato
21-06-2012, 05:03 PM
You might have left a clue as to the teacher's name! :greengrin

Mr Inglis? Headmaster of Niddrie Marischal/Castlbrae secondary?

Don't care about him he actually was a baldy c***.

MSK
21-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Same hairstyle and shoes?Same hairstyle..didnae see his shoes though ..:greengrin

essexhibee
22-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Was looking through the photos earlier...cracking page they've put together. Found the next door neighbour of my Grandma photographed aged three in 1950 very coincidental!

Quick question...does anyone know what the "mains" part of area names means? Like saughton mains, colinton mains etc....

Stupid question but its been bugging me :greengrin

MSK
22-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Was looking through the photos earlier...cracking page they've put together. Found the next door neighbour of my Grandma photographed aged three in 1950 very coincidental!

Quick question...does anyone know what the "mains" part of area names means? Like saughton mains, colinton mains etc....

Stupid question but its been bugging me :greengrinhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_(Scotland) :aok:

DaveF
22-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Free Mike Lynch was a bit further towards Princes St, on the medical school wall at South Bridge directly opposite where Costa coffee is now (was James Thins Booksellers in the 70s). I walked past it every day outside Primary School.

I remember the Mike Lynch one. What did he do and was he ever freed? :greengrin

oconnors_strip
24-06-2012, 02:57 PM

fat fergie lived in oxgangs, opposite st marks school, his garden backed on to the burn and someone found his dead body, remember the police shutting the road and questioning people. he was infamous in oxgangs for who he was and who he had dealings with.

Hibernia Na Eir
24-06-2012, 09:09 PM
anyone else noticed 'SINE' graffitied all over east Edinburgh and also seen it in deepest musselburgh.

who is this dickhead?

easty
24-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I keep seeing a big loveheart with CG in it around my way (broomhall). Caversham....is that you? :wink:

easty
24-06-2012, 09:41 PM
anyone else noticed 'SINE' graffitied all over east Edinburgh and also seen it in deepest musselburgh.

who is this dickhead?

Maths based graffiti. Educating the cities children on trig terminology.

lyonhibs
24-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Maths based graffiti. Educating the cities children on trig terminology.

:agree::agree:

I'm getting fed up of seeing "SOH CAH TOA" tagged all over Piershill as well!!!

easty
25-06-2012, 08:20 AM
:agree::agree:

I'm getting fed up of seeing "SOH CAH TOA" tagged all over Piershill as well!!!

:thumbsup:

silverhibee
25-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Still with the Exploited I think ..saw him up town a few months back outside the Bank Bar ..

Yikes, they still on the go, used to see them at the club just of Pennywell Road, maybe also at the YMCA hostel.

I am still young. :greengrin

The_Exile
25-06-2012, 12:49 PM

who is this dickhead?

Sine is irish gaelic, pronounced Shinay, and is usually put at the end of stories and/or sentences etc, translates roughly as "That's it" or "Finished". Not sure if that's what the graffiti means but as good a stab in the dark as I can manage.

Wilson
25-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Sine is irish gaelic, pronounced Shinay, and is usually put at the end of stories and/or sentences etc, translates roughly as "That's it" or "Finished". Not sure if that's what the graffiti means but as good a stab in the dark as I can manage.

Perhaps a stab in the dark is what finished it!

Hibernia Na Eir
02-07-2012, 07:24 PM

seems a serious business, he's got his own site:-

http://randomvandalism.com/Serial%20Tagging/09%20Serial%20Tags/Sine%20Serial%20Tagging%20Graffiti%20July/index.htm

you'd think the Police could check in on his I.P and do a bit of work to catch him/her out.

RyeSloan
02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
seems a serious business, he's got his own site:-

http://randomvandalism.com/Serial%20Tagging/09%20Serial%20Tags/Sine%20Serial%20Tagging%20Graffiti%20July/index.htm

you'd think the Police could check in on his I.P and do a bit of work to catch him/her out.

Highlights quite a few tag's....don't get it myself but at least some of the tag's are well done, the OE and OE crew tags are pathetic and surely can't be described as a tag at all.

Chuck Rhoades
05-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Know a few people personally involved in the tagging scene in Edinburgh. Most popular at the moment are:

Mate
Yeah
Toarch
Sine
Paperboy

Think a group of taggers use OE; however I believe this stood for (Our Edinburgh).

Aero was all about the South/West of Edinburgh - but was caught late 2011.

Want to know more about 'Toarch' - always in a drip style font, looks like blood.

The Modfather
06-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Know a few people personally involved in the tagging scene in Edinburgh. Most popular at the moment are:

Mate
Yeah
Toarch
Sine
Paperboy

Think a group of taggers use OE; however I believe this stood for (Our Edinburgh).

Aero was all about the South/West of Edinburgh - but was caught late 2011.

Want to know more about 'Toarch' - always in a drip style font, looks like blood.

There's also "Youts" all over the place. Always makes me smile as it makes me think of the film "My Cousin Vinnie" -

"What, what was that word you just said?"
"What?"
"Youts, what's a yout?"
"Oh, I'm sorry, yoooths"

Love that film :agree:

The_Exile
07-07-2012, 08:30 AM
There's also "Youts" all over the place. Always makes me smile as it makes me think of the film "My Cousin Vinnie" -

"What, what was that word you just said?"
"What?"
"Youts, what's a yout?"
"Oh, I'm sorry, yoooths"

Love that film :agree:

Probably in my all time top 3 films ever, love it, the scene where she's going on about her biological clock is just some of the best comic timing ever filmed. Joe Pesci is utter genius in it.

Onceinawhile
08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Toarch is everywhere on my train route and walk to work from the station. Same with nsa. Don't understand the point personally.

superbam
08-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Anybody know the story behind "Bert Oil" which was all over east Edinburgh in the mid-late 1990s? It always intrigued me. Not a tag, was written much in the same style as McCabe Grass.

Onceinawhile
10-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Another one I loved was "Pam, I love you, call me" or words to that effect on the huts at the sighthill football pitches

Bishop Hibee
11-07-2012, 11:25 PM
John -M- 1690 was all over Holy Rood High School, Porty and the surrounding neighbourhoods in the early to mid 80's. If memory serves, Lothian and Borders finest eventually took a dim view of this and, ahem, 'encouraged' the individual to see sense.

I believe he has posted on hibs.net but without the date :jamboak:

HibsMax
13-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Bus shelter at Burdiehouse on the dual carriageway 80s/90s. Simple but poignant. "Sex kills, die young" (or words to that affect).

Hermit Crab
14-10-2018, 08:02 PM

Regularish poster on Kickback as well.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, was just reading about graffiti in Edinburgh and this popped up on google search. Interesting stuff.

MSK
14-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Regularish poster on Kickback as well.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, was just reading about graffiti in Edinburgh and this popped up on google search. Interesting stuff.Jeez it is a blast from the past 😆 Ive actually spoken to Wattie a few times since then, decent bloke for a jambo dare I say 🤭

Hermit Crab
14-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Jeez it is a blast from the past 😆 Ive actually spoken to Wattie a few times since then, decent bloke for a jambo dare I say 🤭

Have we ever had any famous (ish) "celebrity" contributors to the site over the years?

MSK
14-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Have we ever had any famous (ish) "celebrity" contributors to the site over the years?Fish ? Posted a couple of times a few years back, still reads the site now and then, he is about the only famous (ish) hibby I can think of 😀

Hermit Crab
14-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Fish ? Posted a couple of times a few years back, still reads the site now and then, he is about the only famous (ish) hibby I can think of 😀

Wonder if Irvine Welsh looks in on here.

The Modfather
15-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Dean Shiels and Tony Rougier have posted before haven’t they 😂 wish I could find those threads.

matty_f
15-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Dean Shiels and Tony Rougier have posted before haven’t they 😂 wish I could find those threads.

The Dean Shiels thread was one of the funniest threads ever on here. It's long since been deleted unfortunately - I tried to find it a while back.

I'm led to believe Irvine Welsh posts here but I've never been able to verify that information, so I have my doubts.

wpj
16-10-2018, 01:21 PM

Wattie has been quite ill over the last year, I am very good pals with ex exploited band members. Still gigging and for a Jambo he is a nice geezer, not at all like he is sometimes portrayed.

MSK
16-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Wattie has been quite ill over the last year, I am very good pals with ex exploited band members. Still gigging and for a Jambo he is a nice geezer, not at all like he is sometimes portrayed.Yeah, collapsed on stage in Portugal in 2014, I spoke to him on his return and a few times after, certainly lives on the edge 😃

wpj
17-10-2018, 12:26 AM
I just wrote a long reply but it deleted. Maybe just as well. I have worked with bands in the 90s and the punk ones were by far the best laugh. When I lived in Germany I once had three bands staying in my tiny apartment. But yea, I send Wattie best wishes.

MSK
17-10-2018, 05:05 AM
I just wrote a long reply but it deleted. Maybe just as well. I have worked with bands in the 90s and the punk ones were by far the best laugh. When I lived in Germany I once had three bands staying in my tiny apartment. But yea, I send Wattie best wishes.Did you work with the Business or Oi Polloi mate ?

wpj
17-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Did you work with the Business or Oi Polloi mate ?

No but have seen The Business a few times.

heretoday
17-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Around the west side of town the word YOUTZ is sprayed on various walls and surfaces. Any idea who that is (so I can go round and spray paint on him)?

The_Exile
17-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Around the west side of town the word YOUTZ is sprayed on various walls and surfaces. Any idea who that is (so I can go round and spray paint on him)?

Reminds me of a classic scene in 'My Cousin Vinny' :greengrin

McD
17-10-2018, 07:00 PM

Exactly the same thought! :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Hermit Crab
17-10-2018, 08:57 PM

Everything that guy just said is bull****. :greengrin

pollution
19-10-2018, 06:48 PM
We live close to the Borders railway line and some plonker has graffiteed over safety info sign.

Can you believe that?

Wembley67
26-09-2023, 09:21 PM
Dragged this back up as I was searching for something and google came up with this as a point of reference :greengrin

Shame that some of the posters got kicked on this thread :na na:

Fuzzywuzzy
27-09-2023, 06:56 PM
Has Mike done anything new?

heretoday
02-10-2023, 05:50 PM

If you find out let me know. I'll join you.

Fuzzywuzzy
06-10-2023, 11:23 AM
Nice graffiti on Russell road😂😂🇳🇬🇳🇬

The Modfather
06-10-2023, 12:16 PM
On the subject of graffiti, this was an interesting story about iconic graffiti in Sheffield. Always notice the building when down for the snooker as it’s near the station and where I stay but didn’t know the story.

https://youtu.be/oVHqggux-lY?si=jbV1M80mbnrqLnaC

speedy_gonzales
06-10-2023, 05:15 PM
Nice graffiti on Russell road😂😂🇳🇬🇳🇬

Interesting, any pics?

Fuzzywuzzy
07-10-2023, 09:17 AM
Interesting, any pics?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WeAreHibs/permalink/3239561413012465/?app=fbl

Hopefully works