PDA

View Full Version : Spl tv

Billychaotic182
17-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Downloaded the BBC sport sound podcast today. They had the pars chairman on and he talked about the tash trying to push the other teams to make a spl tv. Would you subscribe to this if they were to get the go ahead? I would rather have this than sky

SurferRosa
17-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Provided the cash was a much more even split and all clubs were given equal exposure then yes, i would subscribe to it. I would much prefer my money was going direct to the SPL than see SKY making vast profits.

Scorrie
17-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Provided the cash was a much more even split and all clubs were given equal exposure then yes, i would subscribe to it. I would much prefer my money was going direct to the SPL than see SKY making vast profits.

Agree. The Dutch system is one to look at where the clubs own the tv rights and funding is evenly distributed and terrestial tv gets some of the games / highlights. Could be worth a look?

Billychaotic182
17-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Well they never covered it in great detail on the podcast but they said that Rod was using satanta buy rates as an example of how many people in Scotland would subscribe.

The Green Goblin
17-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Petrie seems to be taking an increasingly leading role in events as they unfold.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Setanta offered more than Scottish football no? Out of curiosity - what in addition to SPL games would SPL tv offer?

Littlest Hobo
17-06-2012, 06:43 PM
No I would not subscribe unless it was really really reasonably priced.

gegs70
17-06-2012, 06:53 PM
probably not....although it depends on cost and what else they show?

O'Rourke3
17-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Setanta offered more than Scottish football no? Out of curiosity - what in addition to SPL games would SPL tv offer?

probably not....although it depends on cost and what else they show?

I might. As th the "what else" Hibs TV now does wee interviewers etc. I think the content would build up but since there would be 10,12,14,16 equal shares I think you'd get a lot of what was happening at individual clubs, as well as reserve or youth games. The fact there's no German or Spanish football, Australian rules, Kabaddi, all star Chinese table tennis etc, wouldn't bother me. Man U fans aren't wathching Man U telly to see other sports. If there was a deal for highlights/other live games, then there may be access to BBC or STV archives for other content. The documentaries etc :dunno:

Albion Hibs
17-06-2012, 07:02 PM
I like the idea and if it created a decent split of money and to a similar level of cash to each of the teams then definatly. I would rather have that than Sky in any event. the more i read about sky giving huge sums of money to other leagues to the detriment of our own, the more inclined i am to cancel my subscription.

Steve20
17-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't bother. I only watch English, Spanish and German football on tv.

ScottB
17-06-2012, 07:13 PM
It doesn't strike me as a smart idea.

At the moment, SPL football is shown on SKY and ESPN's sport channels, so we have a chance of picking up viewers who wouldn't go out of their way to subscribe to watching our dross, so more funds are raised through advertising etc.

An SPL only TV channel would have a very small audience. It could be an option if Rangers are punted and nobody wants the rights, though I'm not at all convinced that could happen. I think a new auction would attract a bid from BT, who will want more football to add to their 2 EPL packages in order to build a football channel offering of some sort for example.

jonty
17-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Only if (for SPL and cup games, so more of an SFA TV):

It was my teams fans doing the commentary
There was the magic red button and I could choose between any game that was being played that day/time
During the night there were FULL 90 mins coverage of each game that week (available for recording)
It included a complentary subscription to hibs tv
It included a complentary subscription to hibs.net
Fans TV was part of the package on the tv channel too (for those of us with no/rubbish broadband)
It's not limited to UK only.

Thats for starters. I've not had my fathers day dinner yet to fuel the brain cells.

Nuitdelune
17-06-2012, 07:18 PM
I would if it's priced around £10 per month. If ESPN are away in the uk then wouldn't be too much difference, minus that cost per month. Would be good if there is extra club content behind the scenes. As for what else they could show--fancy seeing some Irish League or French League. Never brave enough to watch streams--whatever they are!

Beefster
17-06-2012, 07:39 PM
SPL TV is going to raise its ugly head every couple of years until they actually try it and fail miserably. Outside the Bigots, who in their right mind would pay £15 a month to watch Rangers and Celtic away every week?

I get enough frustration, boredom and wastage of cash watching Hibs every week.

ekhibee
17-06-2012, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with SPL tv, providing they were charging a reasonable rate, and also if there was an equal split as regards the money. Sky have too much power when it comes to football, too many teams in the SPL have become far too reliant on the funds that SKY provide, which also results in SKY virtually dictating policy. By that I mean they could still have a huge effect on how boards vote on whether Rangers/Newco/Whatever they're called now stay in the SPL. If an alternative can be provided that doesn't hold clubs to ransom, then I'm all for it, but that's only my opinion.

gegs70
18-06-2012, 09:53 AM
I might. As th the "what else" Hibs TV now does wee interviewers etc. I think the content would build up but since there would be 10,12,14,16 equal shares I think you'd get a lot of what was happening at individual clubs, as well as reserve or youth games. The fact there's no German or Spanish football, Australian rules, Kabaddi, all star Chinese table tennis etc, wouldn't bother me. Man U fans aren't wathching Man U telly to see other sports. If there was a deal for highlights/other live games, then there may be access to BBC or STV archives for other content. The documentaries etc :dunno:

Could also show some sfl games, under19s, Junior fixtures. Other scottish fixtures...Future Scotland games??

pentlando
18-06-2012, 12:40 PM
An SPL TV would be purely for viewers based in Scotland. We could still sell the rights to other broadcasters, Sky, Espn for coverage in the rest of the UK and abroad surely?? As someone pointed out on another thread even if the SPL does not bring in as many viewers to Sky, they use the games as filler for the EPL matches. We could probably raise similar amounts to any purely Sky TV deal with a combination of Sky for outside Scotland broadcasts and an SPL TV package.

Beefster
18-06-2012, 03:17 PM
An SPL TV would be purely for viewers based in Scotland. We could still sell the rights to other broadcasters, Sky, Espn for coverage in the rest of the UK and abroad surely?? As someone pointed out on another thread even if the SPL does not bring in as many viewers to Sky, they use the games as filler for the EPL matches. We could probably raise similar amounts to any purely Sky TV deal with a combination of Sky for outside Scotland broadcasts and an SPL TV package.

So I pay the same as someone in England for Sky Sports but don't get the Scottish games? Or I get the Scottish games as part of my Sky Sports package and don't bother about SPL TV (not that I would bother about it either way)?

adhibs
18-06-2012, 06:13 PM
i wouldnt subscribe. moving to summer football might be an idea to keep a tv deal. its not every year youv got the euros and people are dieing on watching football. would mayb even gain viewers from outside the country with there being little alternative

Onion
18-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Downloaded the BBC sport sound podcast today. They had the pars chairman on and he talked about the tash trying to push the other teams to make a spl tv. Would you subscribe to this if they were to get the go ahead? I would rather have this than sky

Yes, if it was the price Ihad to pay to keep Newco out of the SPL. Even talking about it is a smart move to keep Sky on their toes :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2012, 06:39 PM
SPL T.V Might work, but it would have to be very clever in the way it operated.

The product on the park is not great lets face it, but a game can be interesting as long as there is a bit more behind it than just 3 points.

Forgetting the OF ( If there is such a thing any more :greengrin ) presuming I was an armchair fan the games I would make a point of watching no matter how they were actually doing in the league are the following:

Hibs v Yams

Dundee v Dundee Utd

Ross County v I.C.T.

Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Then theres the games with a lot at stake depending on league placings and possible play off matches.

The SPL would also be in control of kick off times ..... in the USA Monday night football has been an institution for years and its the day of the week when people are most likely to be in the house, even SKY have tried that in recent months.

As far as I am aware its also the case that in the US American football matches are blacked out in the area the team plays. I dont know if that is possible in a small country like Scotland, but its worth a thought.

The team hosting in the TV game could perhaps experiment with letting kids in for £5 or stuff like that. We could strike a deal with one of the betting companies for in game betting rights.

Hell ... we could even try an SPL adult slot where the game is shown later on with commentators, pundits AND FANS saying what they really think.

And on that note ... lets get in some presenters who are funny and glamorous and not the same tired old faces all the time.

Dont go mental with subscription or advertising fees and perhaps it could be done.

The current SKY deal is worth 65,000,000 over 5 years. Thats 13,000,000 per year split between 12 clubs, which could be more if the SPL expands to 14 or 16 clubs so its not exactly a huge amount, even if SKY do sign the 80 million deal on the table its not a lot better.

There are hundreds of countries out there who might be interested in showing SPL football if the price is right. Theres a reason football is popular with TV companies and mainly its because its cheap television ... as far as I'm aware showing football for 2 hours is a hell of a lot cheaper than making TV shows.

Ach ... who knows I'm no expert.

matty_f
18-06-2012, 06:45 PM
If the fee was reasonable I'd take it, provided there was a choice of game. I never really watch any other teams unless Hibs are playing them, so the only games I'd be wanting to watch would be the away games that I can't get to. I'll be at the home games with my season ticket, so not that bothered about them being televised.

I reckon £6/month to get see Hibs' away games would be reasonable.

Incidentally, is the derby now considered as the biggest game in the Scottish league calendar?:greengrin

joe breezy
18-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I would but I would prefer it to be in HD

Anything else looks ridiculous on my telly