PDA

View Full Version : SFA Pushes for League Merger

ScottB
16-06-2012, 07:54 PM
From the Beeb: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18471197

The Scottish FA aims to push through a merger of the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Football League in time for the start of the new season.
The governing body also wants to introduce a fairer system of income distribution and a pyramid system.
One SFA source told BBC Scotland: "We are at a situation of critical mass.
"Someone has to take a lead and sort out the internal bickering and point scoring and also to ensure that the Rangers situation never happens again."
With Rangers destined for liquidation, a new company will submit a bid to join the SPL in time for next season (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18407309) since there are no regulations in place to cover the issue of a 'newco' route.
Once that application is received top flight clubs must wait at least 14 days before voting on the matter.
Should a new Rangers fail to gain the necessary 8-4 vote, they could turn to the SFL and apply to fill any vacancy created by a team being promoted into the SPL to take the place of the old Rangers.
Continue reading the main story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18471197#story_continues_2)
“The Rangers situation has intensified the need for a resolution and, over the next few weeks, we will meet with the SPL and SFL to find a solution”
SFA source

But the SFA has lost patience with the two league bodies and is now set to push through radical change in the way the Scottish game is structured by next season.
"We need to use the mood for change among supporters in the country to tackle the current inertia and do what is right for the game," the source continued.
"Change has to be democratic, but the time for talking has passed. We need action now to save the game."
It is understood that, over the next few weeks, the SFA, which is the body that licenses the clubs to play, will hold meetings with the SPL and the SFL to push through the changes it feels are needed.
The SFA wants to merge the two current league bodies, introduce a new method of wealth distribution and to reinvigorate the Third Division with the introduction of a pyramid system to allow new clubs entry to a national league set-up.
"There is complete anarchy going on," the source continued. "Both sides are agreed on the need for fundamental change, but neither side has been able to build an alliance.
"The fans are demanding fundamental change. The Rangers situation has intensified the need for a resolution and, over the next few weeks, we will meet with the SPL and SFL to find a solution."
Dunfermline, who were relegated from the SPL last season, could be the team to benefit if a new Rangers fails to win a place in the top division.
Pars chairman John Yorkston welcomed the idea of a SFA-driven merger, although he was sceptical about how quickly such a move could be realised.
"Someone needs to take the bull by the horns," he told BBC Scotland.
"There are too many governing bodies and this should have been done long before now.
"But whether or not it could be done before the start of the season I very much doubt."

SteveHFC
16-06-2012, 07:56 PM
They are doing this to keep the newco in the SPL :rolleyes:

ScottB
16-06-2012, 07:56 PM
An interesting idea, and taking the decisions away from that muppet Doncaster can only be a good thing.

What occurs to me however, if they were wanting to have this in place for next season, surely changing the league would invalidate the TV deal contract? Unless they are already expecting that to happen with Rangers headed for the new bottom league?

Secondly, perhaps they want all the clubs in one structure so they can sell a combined TV package? I'm sure there'd be plenty folk wanting to watch New Rangers who won't be able to fit into the tiny grounds they will be playing at...

ScottB
16-06-2012, 07:58 PM
They are doing this to keep the newco in the SPL :rolleyes:

I'm not sure, there argument is the newco buys the oldcos SPL share.

If the SPL no longer exists, there's no share, the newco isn't in the division at all at the time of the move to the new structure. They'd be hard placed to justify that in any way.

jgl07
16-06-2012, 08:02 PM
It is a positive move but there will be no changes in the League structure for next season. The timescale is far too short with the fixtures due out on Monday and just over four weeks before St Johnstone are in Europa League action.

Assuming that the SPL and the SFL, a restructuring could be agreed that would produce a two Division eague system atop a pyramid of regional leagues.

It would work to the favour of Rangers as it could take them only two years to get back to the top Division. Thyat assiumes they will be in Division Three of the SFL next season.

Westie1875
16-06-2012, 08:04 PM
There isn't enough time for them to change the structure of the leagues before the start of the season and get it right. How can they expect clubs to plan for the season ahead if they don't know who they will be playing, how many games they will be playing and what their budgets are until the last minute. Not to mention the fact that people have already paid for season tickets on the basis of the current set up and number of matches.

A ridiculous situation to be in, just bin newco FC, promote Dundee and get on with it. Sort out whatever structure changes they want to make for season 2013/14 so that there is time to get it right.

bighairyfaeleith
16-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Does the SFA actually have the power to do this??

In theory I think it's a good idea, but we need much more meat on the bones before we can say for sure this is a good idea, to me this has FIFA written all over it!!

HibbySpurs
16-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Does the SFA actually have the power to do this??

In theory I think it's a good idea, but we need much more meat on the bones before we can say for sure this is a good idea, to me this has FIFA written all over it!!

I think they must have, The SFA are the governing body of the game in Scotland. Unless I'm wrong the SPL & SFL are affiliated to the SFA who in turn are the association that are affiliated to UEFA & FIFA.

Is it not the case in technical terms that the SPL put Celtic forward to the SFA for entry into the CL as they won their competition and the SFA endorses this byputting their entry into UEFA?

On this basis it really is the SFA'S ball and at the end of the day th SPL & SFL will do what they are told (I know I'm being simplistic here). If the SFA want real change they will get it because if the SPL say foff then the SFA can just chuck them and their clubs out?

I hope the SFA does do something positive even aside of the Rangers fiasco, someboy needs to do something to make the game fairer and having a pyramid set up and fairer distibution of monies can only be a good thing. I think the idea of a whole "Scottish Football" package is a great idea for the TV.