PDA

View Full Version : Summer Fitba

greenlex
16-06-2012, 11:57 AM
My Arse!
Can we knock this nonsense on the head right now?

Golden Bear
16-06-2012, 11:59 AM
My Arse!

:aok:

bingo70
16-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Why? Because its raining?

It rains, snows, sleets, freezes in winter, summer its just a bit wet......Barry conditions for a slide tackle!

lucky
16-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Yes please. At least its not freezing

Saorsa
16-06-2012, 12:13 PM
My Arse!
Can we knock this nonsense on the head right now?Why is that? Because it's a wee bit wet? We get this same weather in the winter only it's about 10°C or 12°C colder so it could possibly be sleet or snow instead.

Summer fitba for me :agree:

HibbyAndy
16-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Summer fitba for me tae.

It really is a no brainer.

JIm
16-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Summer fitba for me tae.

It really is a no brainer.

Ditto :thumbsup::top marks

Thecat23
16-06-2012, 12:32 PM
My Arse!

This is laughable.. Yeah let's knock it on the head now guys because it's raining. But when it's raining/sleet/snowing/gales it's fine. Ridiculous post.

IWasThere2016
16-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm in favour of summer football as I believe it would put more bums on seats - so I cannae agree Lex.

marinello59
16-06-2012, 01:01 PM
My Arse!

No. It's the future. :greengrin

silverhibee
16-06-2012, 01:09 PM
My Arse!

Is it snowing or something like that in Narnia today Lex. :greengrin

Not even raining at my end just a bit windy, bring on summer football or even give it a try for one year and see how it goes. :aok:

Moulin Yarns
16-06-2012, 01:15 PM
All hail the Greenlex for starting a thread that has nowt to do with Rangers (in whichever guise) :not worth

I don't agree though :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
16-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Summer fitba for me too.

I think it should start as soon as we get a summer :greengrin

Nah, but seriously ... the advantages are obvious.

erin go bragh
16-06-2012, 05:14 PM
No brainer for me ,summer football all the way :agree:

ggtth:agree::agree:

Just Alf
16-06-2012, 05:19 PM
All hail the Greenlex for starting a thread that has nowt to do with Rangers (in whichever guise) :not worth

I don't agree though :wink:

What!!!!!!!

It's ALL about (the) Rangers surely?

If we have a restructure and delay the season until the start of next summer that gives them just about enough time to get themselves sorted oot.

;-)

blackpoolhibs
16-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Summer football, yes please.:thumbsup:

jodjam
16-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Just gie me saturdays at 3pm for a season or two til i get used to that concept then we can look at what season we play in :wink:

Delboy*
16-06-2012, 06:08 PM
My Arse!

It's the height of the growing season tae so even tho the weather is gash just now, the pitches will repair themselves and recover rapidly. Unlike the winter when they turn to mush .....

SoL
16-06-2012, 06:19 PM
It makes sense. We would have a better chance of going a little further in European competitions. When we are drawn against Nordic sides who are well into their seasons and are match fit when we are not.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Summer football for me.

Even on a wet and miserable day like today its still about 12 degrees warmer than an equivalent day in January.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Summer fitba for me. Cant think of onr compelling arguement against it.

Eyrie
16-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Summer fitba for me. Cant think of onr compelling arguement against it.

It would mean our domestic season is out of synch with European club competitions. So you're 100% correct :aok:

S.sct
16-06-2012, 07:29 PM
My Arse!

Yip, hate the cold, rain, hail and sleet etc. so why move to summer fitba...:greengrin

Alfred E Newman
16-06-2012, 07:39 PM
It makes sense. We would have a better chance of going a little further in European competitions. When we are drawn against Nordic sides who are well into their seasons and are match fit when we are not.

We were not fit at the end of the season. Anyway , we already play through three of the so called summer months and the football is still crap.

joebakerforever
16-06-2012, 07:41 PM
My Arse!

Agree, but it appears the wimps are on here in force tonight :na na:

jgl07
16-06-2012, 07:55 PM
How many teams actually play in the Summer?

I can only think of the Nordic Countries (bar Denmark), Ireland, and possibly the Balic Republics.

Even Russia have switched back to a Winter season albeit with a (long) mid-season break.

It would be a complete shambles with the season broken up by World Cup or European Championships every second year.

And what would many football supporters in Scotland do in the winter months? Go and watch matches down south.

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Not a fan of summer football. I might be in a minority, but I don't mind watching football in the cold months. Christmas and New Year is for drinking and going to the football. :greengrin

I don't think a winter break would work in this country either as an extended break as the weather in this country is so unpredictable. We had better weather and warmer days in February than we have had this weekend in mid June. :rolleyes:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-06-2012, 08:15 PM
It would mean our domestic season is out of synch with European club competitions. So you're 100% correct :aok:

Out of synch? Our coefficient is so rank that when we do qualify we are ****** when drawn against Scandanavian and Lithuanian teams that are half way through their season!

Scouse Hibee
16-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Summer football.....................when would that be then?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Summer football.....................when would that be then?

Last 2 weeks in September.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2012, 08:24 PM
How many teams actually play in the Summer?

I can only think of the Nordic Countries (bar Denmark), Ireland, and possibly the Balic Republics.

Even Russia have switched back to a Winter season albeit with a (long) mid-season break.

It would be a complete shambles with the season broken up by World Cup or European Championships every second year.

And what would many football supporters in Scotland do in the winter months? Go and watch matches down south.

With Harry Potter in charge I don't think we have to worry about Euros and World Cup anytime soon.

How many Scottish based players are at the current Euros? One? And how many were at the last World Cup? 2 or 3?

Ozyhibby
16-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I would love us to move to a summer season and I think it's the only way we will ever het a decent tv deal if we can differentiate ourselves from the EPL.

jgl07
16-06-2012, 08:31 PM
With Harry Potter in charge I don't think we have to worry about Euros and World Cup anytime soon.

How many Scottish based players are at the current Euros? One? And how many were at the last World Cup? 2 or 3?

Do you seriously think that the domestic season could go ahead against blanket World Cup or European Cup coverage?

It is probably outlawed by FIFA and EUFA anyway.

Alfred E Newman
16-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I would love us to move to a summer season and I think it's the only way we will ever het a decent tv deal if we can differentiate ourselves from the EPL.

The season is already almost 11 months long, unless you are advocating playing the entire season during June and July.

Sir David Gray
16-06-2012, 08:49 PM
My Arse!

:agree: Absolutely.

If we move to summer football, our season would probably consist of 1 week in May and June and 6 days at the end of July.

Our weather is horrendous almost all year round, our temperatures don't vary by an awful lot from month to month (today, for example, we've had highs of around 9 degrees which we would expect to see about March or October). Yes, we had that week at the end of last month when it was scorching but that was a freak period of weather.

We're fast approaching midsummer and the longest day of the year but looking out of my window just now, you would be forgiven for thinking that we were approaching Guy Fawkes' Night.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Do you seriously think that the domestic season could go ahead against blanket World Cup or European Cup coverage?

It is probably outlawed by FIFA and EUFA anyway.

What do other countries with summer leagues do?

Genuine question.

Alfred E Newman
16-06-2012, 09:02 PM
What do other countries with summer leagues do?

Genuine question.

Nobody cares about them.

MyJo
16-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Restructure the league cup to a champions league format competition with the 32 teams from the top two leagues drawn into groups of 4 playing each other home and away and play the group stages of this in a mid-season "break" from the league for about 4 or 5 weeks that can coincide with the world cup / euros when they are being hosted so these games are not televised and competing with the internationals.

Maybe make it an olympic-style competition with teams made up from under-23's only with 2 over-agers allowed so teams with players away at the international competitions arent hugely impacted.

Restructure the leagues to 16 teams each playing 30 games a season. With both competitions every team in the Spl and 1st division are guaranteed 36 games every season with 18 home games.

Run the season from March to November with the league winners qualifying for europe the next year

Eyrie
16-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Out of synch? Our coefficient is so rank that when we do qualify we are ****** when drawn against Scandanavian and Lithuanian teams that are half way through their season!

Hence why I said you're 100% correct ......

Long Time Hibee
16-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Summer football for me.

Even on a wet and miserable day like today its still about 12 degrees warmer than an equivalent day in January.

Exactly. I used to hate playing when the 'mitre' mark on your thigh was there for days after the game.
Nothing better than watching a game in your short sleeves rather than your thermal longjohns (for us older guys only :greengrin ) Well, playing is better but those days are long gone unfortunately. :boo hoo::boo hoo: