PDA

View Full Version : NHC English tv deal - £3 billion

PatHead
13-06-2012, 08:35 PM
See EPL have sold tv rights for £3bn to Sky and BT for a 3 year period. They really have sold their soul though with 40% of games being shown live. Can't work out if that is a good deal.

Albion Hibs
13-06-2012, 08:40 PM
See EPL have sold tv rights for £3bn to Sky and BT for a 3 year period. They really have sold their soul though with 40% of games being shown live. Can't work out if that is a good deal.

Almost all of the epl teams are that well supported that it would not make a difference if 50% plus were on TV. They are a lot more into their football and the matchday is much more of a day out. The biggest thing is that this will surely increase advertising revenue and revenue from mechandise.

If we got a fraction of that we would not know what to do with it.

down-the-slope
13-06-2012, 09:26 PM
That is now £2 million pounds per match that BT/SKY are paying....:shocked:

However I have realised that there may be a bonus from this.....ESPN from 2013/14 have lost their matches and will need to fill shedule....an opportunity for the SPL :confused:

DiscoLovinHibee
13-06-2012, 09:33 PM
That's crazy money - I only watch Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea as the rest are pretty dross. Add to that the money they get from foreign TV rights it's no wonder the product they put on is far superior to anything the SPL can offer.

The SPL need to stop trying to compete with leagues way out of their class anymore (it's the reason Rangers got in so much trouble).

Here's hoping the Rangers situation gives the SPL the chance to sweep TV aside and realise it's killing the game up here. Make the SPL a pay at the gate league again with a highlights package only. Keep the tv football for leagues and players worth watching.

hibsbollah
13-06-2012, 09:39 PM
That's crazy money - I only watch Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea as the rest are pretty dross. Add to that the money they get from foreign TV rights it's no wonder the product they put on is far superior to anything the SPL can offer.

The SPL need to stop trying to compete with leagues way out of their class anymore (it's the reason Rangers got in so much trouble).

Here's hoping the Rangers situation gives the SPL the chance to sweep TV aside and realise it's killing the game up here. Make the SPL a pay at the gate league again with a highlights package only. Keep the tv football for leagues and players worth watching.

Cant disagree with that really.

PatHead
13-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know how money gets split in England? (Doubt top 2 get 30%)

Haymaker
13-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Does anyone know how money gets split in England? (Doubt top 2 get 30%)

Everyone gets a set deal to begin with, then each home game shown is worth X (£13m I believe with both incomes) and X for away (£8m is what I am told). Where you finish nets you X again through prize money. The EPL sell the rights as a whole because that was the original argument, they bring the most so should get the most.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Good time for The Hammers to return to the EPL.

PatHead
13-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Good time for The Hammers to return to the EPL.

Doesn't start until 2013. They will be relegated again by then.:devil:
:devil:

joe breezy
13-06-2012, 11:00 PM
That is now £2 million pounds per match that BT/SKY are paying....:shocked:

However I have realised that there may be a bonus from this.....ESPN from 2013/14 have lost their matches and will need to fill shedule....an opportunity for the SPL :confused:

SPL is not a very attractive league for broadcasters especially with no huns, they've become conditioned to thinking that's the big game

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Doesn't start until 2013. They will be relegated again by then.:devil:
:devil:

Certainly will be, unless they spend a few quid.

lucky
13-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Not convinced ESPN will be interested in the SPL. Losing EPL will more than likely see them pull out of the UK. With the Huns gone gives them an excuse to dump the SPL

DH1875
13-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Not convinced ESPN will be interested in the SPL. Losing EPL will more than likely see them pull out of the UK. With the Huns gone gives them an excuse to dump the SPL

The soccer is always a bonus for ESPN but a majority of their subscribers do so for the American sports.

ScottB
13-06-2012, 11:43 PM
I think the £3billion is the total raised including abroad and online deals etc. but the new Sky / BT deal is worth 70% more than the current one.

I agree that Scotland needs to forget TV. At most our games are used to fill in gaps in the schedules between better games, we are getting next to nothing from it, and a return to 3pm kick offs would get more people back through the gates. Given that we only feature in a handful of televised games a season, I can't see switching to highlights only being too annoying to our sponsors, and perhaps viewing figures of a highlights show would go up, assuming its better than what's on offer at the moment.

Then perhaps one day down the line our game will have recovered enough to be an attractive tv proposition on our own terms, but for now it's time to say thanks, but no thanks.

Haymaker
13-06-2012, 11:53 PM
I believe it is just the UK rights. Foreign rights were sold last year for slightly more than the previous sky deal for the UK only rights.

JohnStephens91
14-06-2012, 12:05 AM
How much do SPL teams get per match from the TV deal? Even if it is £100,000 that is £100,000 more than we would get normally. At an average price of £17 to get in to Easter Road (student and regular prices combined) that would be almost 6000 fans needed in to make up the same monetary gain from a TV deal worth £100,000 per game. If it is more per game then it will be a slog to attract any decent players here.

For anyone to say that we should not have a TV deal is ridiculous, obviously Saturday 3pm is much better than Sunday 12:15pm to have a match, but the money from a TV deal should cover that. No way are we going to ever make the same money as a TV deal through gate receipts, especially clubs like Killie, Inverness and St Mirren.

I bet I've said all this and the TV deal is worth about £2000 per game :na na:

iwasthere1972
14-06-2012, 12:54 AM
How much do SPL teams get per match from the TV deal? Even if it is £100,000 that is £100,000 more than we would get normally. At an average price of £17 to get in to Easter Road (student and regular prices combined) that would be almost 6000 fans needed in to make up the same monetary gain from a TV deal worth £100,000 per game. If it is more per game then it will be a slog to attract any decent players here.

For anyone to say that we should not have a TV deal is ridiculous, obviously Saturday 3pm is much better than Sunday 12:15pm to have a match, but the money from a TV deal should cover that. No way are we going to ever make the same money as a TV deal through gate receipts, especially clubs like Killie, Inverness and St Mirren.

I bet I've said all this and the TV deal is worth about £2000 per game :na na:

The average amount per game that the SPL get from SKY/ESPN is about £266K. If it was an equal share not dependant on league positions etc then it would equate to £133K per club per game televised. That would be nice but when you take into consideration that the Old Firm take the biggest chunk of the pie we're probably just left with a few crumbs. Seriously speaking I think the split is something like this

1st 17% £2,550,000.00
2nd 15% £2,250,000.00
3rd 9.50% £1,425,000.00
4th 8.50% £1,275,000.00
5th 8.00% £1,200,000.00
6th 7.50% £1,125,000.00
7th 7% £1,050,000.00
8th 6.50% £975,000.00
9th 6.00% £900,000.00
10th 5.50% £825,000.00
11th 5% £750,000.00
12th 4.50% £675,000.00

ESPN/Sky televised 13 of our games last season with only 6 of them being at Easter Road. I know it not as simple as this but if you divided the £750K that we received for coming 11th last season by the number of home games televised that would mean that we received £125K per game as we don't receive any revenue for away fixtures. As I've just said, it's probably not as simple as that and I'm sure someone will put me right. :wink:

cockneymike
14-06-2012, 02:18 AM
The other thing that is really interesting about this deal though, is that BT have now entered the game. They've said that they're going to launch a dedicated football channel. That means that there is potentially now going to be a 3rd player to be involved in the bids for Scottish TV rights. The fact that they have obviously outbid ESPN for these rights shows some real intent to break into the football market.

Perhaps if Sky look to renegotiate the deal that kicks begins this summer (if the Hun are kicked oot), the SPL could ask BT if they'd like to get in on the action?

Lungo--Drom
14-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Well said Disco, totally agree! You've summed iit up. End of! :)

thefifer1959
14-06-2012, 06:43 PM
hey dont go there if that was on offer to the SPL then Rangers and Celtic would take 50% between them and the other 50% to the rest...so bite ur tongue lol
:thumbsup::na na:

could u imagine the Rangers debt would be wiped out asap

NAE NOOKIE
14-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeh ... well.

As far as I am aware SKY and BT earn a reasonable proportion of their income from Scottish subscribers. Business or not, they surely have some sort of moral obligation to return a proportionate sum of that money to Scotland and not have all of it subsidise the digusting greedy cash fest that is the EPL.

So heres the thing.

As far as I am aware the governing body of any national league has the right under UEFA rules to insist that no live television football is shown in that country if it clashes with the scheduled league or cup games due to be played at the same time.

If SKY are of a mind to refuse to sign a decent TV deal with the SPL as a result of spitting the dummy due to a rangers newco being refused entry to the SPL, then what is to stop the SPL or SFL from scheduling games to clash with the SKY / BT schedules and insist that coverage of their live matches be blacked out this side of the border.

I can understand SKY being able to alter the TV deal due to a loss of revenue caused by the absence of their precious OF matches. But to alter it in such a way that it caused major damage to Scottish football then why the hell should we not spit the dummy too and retaliate.

Hell, by signing the existing deal SKY could bum about taking the moral high ground and that they support sporting integrity. If any company needs that sort of publicity in the current climate its a Rupert Murdoch owned company.

jgl07
14-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Yeh ... well.

As far as I am aware SKY and BT earn a reasonable proportion of their income from Scottish subscribers. Business or not, they surely have some sort of moral obligation to return a proportionate sum of that money to Scotland and not have all of it subsidise the digusting greedy cash fest that is the EPL.

So heres the thing.

As far as I am aware the governing body of any national league has the right under UEFA rules to insist that no live television football is shown in that country if it clashes with the scheduled league or cup games due to be played at the same time.

If SKY are of a mind to refuse to sign a decent TV deal with the SPL as a result of spitting the dummy due to a rangers newco being refused entry to the SPL, then what is to stop the SPL or SFL from scheduling games to clash with the SKY / BT schedules and insist that coverage of their live matches be blacked out this side of the border.

I can understand SKY being able to alter the TV deal due to a loss of revenue caused by the absence of their precious OF matches. But to alter it in such a way that it caused major damage to Scottish football then why the hell should we not spit the dummy too and retaliate.

Hell, by signing the existing deal SKY could bum about taking the moral high ground and that they support sporting integrity. If any company needs that sort of publicity in the current climate its a Rupert Murdoch owned company.

Are you serious?

You sound like Jim Farry who tried to block Channel 4 from screening a midweek live match in Scotland because there was an SFL match on. This was laughed off.

Sky and ESPN pay the SPL what it is worth.

discman
14-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeh ... well.

So heres the thing.

:confused: Point of information; we play our football in Scotland,whereas EPL play their football in England, ergo.............

Mon Dieu4
14-06-2012, 11:28 PM
They should enjoy it while it lasts, all this crazy money is not going to last for ever, in the not too distant future i can see football revolutions with the fans trying to get the game back, the only league these days that seems to have it all sorted is the Bundasliga it caters for fans, tv and is affordable

discman
14-06-2012, 11:47 PM
The average amount per game that the SPL get from SKY/ESPN is about £266K. If it was an equal share not dependant on league positions etc then it would equate to £133K per club per game televised. That would be nice but when you take into consideration that the Old Firm take the biggest chunk of the pie we're probably just left with a few crumbs. Seriously speaking I think the split is something like this

1st 17% £2,550,000.00
2nd 15% £2,250,000.00
3rd 9.50% £1,425,000.00
4th 8.50% £1,275,000.00
5th 8.00% £1,200,000.00
6th 7.50% £1,125,000.00
7th 7% £1,050,000.00
8th 6.50% £975,000.00
9th 6.00% £900,000.00
10th 5.50% £825,000.00
11th 5% £750,000.00
12th 4.50% £675,000.00

ESPN/Sky televised 13 of our games last season with only 6 of them being at Easter Road. I know it not as simple as this but if you divided the £750K that we received for coming 11th last season by the number of home games televised that would mean that we received £150K per game as we don't receive any revenue for away fixtures. As I've just said, it's probably not as simple as that and I'm sure someone will put me right. :wink:

Nope your pretty much bang on, the SPL accounts from 2010/2011 gave the figure from media rights etc to be £13mill, which tallies with your figures, to be divided between the 12 clubs.

EPL teams at the time were getting on average, £40mill each,which is why the old firm were desperate to join the party.given what we know now about rfc you can understand why.

So given its a paltry sum,relatively,we shouldnt be that concerned,people wont stop playing football,instead I see it creating more oppertunities for home grown talent to come through,which

long term will make our game healthier,clubs will have to focus more on youth for there survival,so our methodolgy in bring that talent on needs to change.

Both Ajax and Barcelona have shown how it can be done,its not a coinicidence or luck that this has occurred,check out the Ajax coaching methodology on line, its the same one Cruyff implamented at

Barcelona. If it works why dont we adopt it?

NAE NOOKIE
15-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Are you serious?

You sound like Jim Farry who tried to block Channel 4 from screening a midweek live match in Scotland because there was an SFL match on. This was laughed off.

Sky and ESPN pay the SPL what it is worth.

Deadly serious.

I'm sure they do pay the SPL what its worth. But thats not the point, it has been shown time and again that there is more to business when it comes to it than just huge profits. When a business gets big and powerfull enough they are often expected to look at the moral side of what they do.

Is it not the case for instance that in spite of the fact that SKY would love exclusive rights to certain sporting events, they are prevented from doing so by the UK parliament Wimbledon being a prime example.

There is no doubt in my mind that, money issues aside, the saturation coverage of EPL and Spanish football damages the domestic product in this country.

And by the way ... laughed off by who? as far as I am aware we do have the power to black out English football in Scotland and IMO thats just what we should do if SKY dont do the right thing ... I for one am sick of seeing kids running about in Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea strips. If a previous attempt to block a game didnt work, it doesnt mean it cant be tried again.

allezsauzee
15-06-2012, 07:16 AM

a wee bit harsh on spurs who i thought played the most exciting football last season....especially in their first European match :greengrin

green&left
15-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Who's gonna foot the bill for this massive increase, the paying customer or advertisers? Not that it will affact me, anyone who pays full price for the premier league is off their nuts!

joe breezy
15-06-2012, 08:59 AM
The appeal of English football is massive. I work in advertising on Tiger Beer and in Singapore they have a Tiger Football Facebook page, it's all about English football and nothing else.
Then there's all the Africans. so in Asia and much Africa people are more likely to 'support' Liverpool or Man U than any local club.

It makes it really hard for us ever to get anything like the best players ever again as it is. There's a place a drive away that will pay much better wages.

Archie McPherson was going on about how we need old firm games to compete - sad indictment if that's all that's 'good' about Scottish football but if I was from Mars and didn't know about all the baggage of the Old Firm, you could see how people may think that.

It's the only game in Scotland other than finals / semis that looks like an occasion to rival the EPL - just due to scale, which of course is due to showers of idiots not supporting their local team

jdships
15-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Think you are ' right on the money ' there :agree:
A majority of ESPN subscribers do so for the North American based sports.
Next six months will be interesting times in Scottish football both for clubs and suppoerters .
Still think there is a bit to go before the Huns saga is finally resolved . Could yet all end in tears :greengrin

jgl07
15-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Deadly serious.

I'm sure they do pay the SPL what its worth. But thats not the point, it has been shown time and again that there is more to business when it comes to it than just huge profits. When a business gets big and powerfull enough they are often expected to look at the moral side of what they do.

Is it not the case for instance that in spite of the fact that SKY would love exclusive rights to certain sporting events, they are prevented from doing so by the UK parliament Wimbledon being a prime example.

There is no doubt in my mind that, money issues aside, the saturation coverage of EPL and Spanish football damages the domestic product in this country.

And by the way ... laughed off by who? as far as I am aware we do have the power to black out English football in Scotland and IMO thats just what we should do if SKY dont do the right thing ... I for one am sick of seeing kids running about in Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea strips. If a previous attempt to block a game didnt work, it doesnt mean it cant be tried again.

The SFA (or for that matter the SPL and SFL) have no power whatsoever to determine what is screened on TV in Scotland.

The UK Government have reserved certain sporting events such as Wimbledon, Open Golf Championship, FA Cup, Olympics, Six Nations Rugby as crown jewel events that can only be aired on terrestial and freeview television. That has bugger all to do with your point as domestic football is not listed apart from cup finals and some internationals.

The SFA used to have an agreement with BBC Scotland and STV that live matches would not be televised when there was any SFL match or Scottish Cup match scheduled.

Channel Four entered the scene and showed a live match across the UK. They refused to black out the match for viewers in Scotland because there was a match scheduled. This caused the whole agreement to crumble.

The only restriction on live televised matches is that they cannot go out against the traditional 3:00PM Saturday start time. Even this is in doubt with pubs getting subscriptions from overseas.

If you think that Sky, ESPN, and BBC will block all coverage in Scotland because the authorities ask them, then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Get used to it. There will be more televised football from England and also Germany, Italy, Spain and France screened and there is nothing that the Scottish football authorities can do about it. Nor should they be able to.

Hibercelona
15-06-2012, 04:06 PM
3 Billion on football broadcasts eh....

I wonder how many 3rd world countries that would save.

VickMackie
15-06-2012, 04:33 PM
3 Billion on football broadcasts eh....

I wonder how many 3rd world countries that would save.

It would get a bit boring watching people eat for 90 minutes a day. Although I've just read in the metro about someone stuffed their face so much that it clogged their assophogus (sp!) and they suffocated!

Could add a bit spice!

NAE NOOKIE
16-06-2012, 05:12 PM
The SFA (or for that matter the SPL and SFL) have no power whatsoever to determine what is screened on TV in Scotland.

The UK Government have reserved certain sporting events such as Wimbledon, Open Golf Championship, FA Cup, Olympics, Six Nations Rugby as crown jewel events that can only be aired on terrestial and freeview television. That has bugger all to do with your point as domestic football is not listed apart from cup finals and some internationals.

The SFA used to have an agreement with BBC Scotland and STV that live matches would not be televised when there was any SFL match or Scottish Cup match scheduled.

Channel Four entered the scene and showed a live match across the UK. They refused to black out the match for viewers in Scotland because there was a match scheduled. This caused the whole agreement to crumble.

The only restriction on live televised matches is that they cannot go out against the traditional 3:00PM Saturday start time. Even this is in doubt with pubs getting subscriptions from overseas.

If you think that Sky, ESPN, and BBC will block all coverage in Scotland because the authorities ask them, then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Get used to it. There will be more televised football from England and also Germany, Italy, Spain and France screened and there is nothing that the Scottish football authorities can do about it. Nor should they be able to.

First of all the point about Wimbledon etc was not to illustrate that the SFA/SPL can black out matches, but rather that there are situations where it is accepted that the moral case for doing something can outweigh the financial case when it comes to sport.

Your last point is perfectly true ... there will be more EPL and other continental leagues matches shown in Scotland in the future.

I just love it watching games in the pub ... lets say Aberdeen v Hibs from Pittodrie ... and listening to all the armchair pundits telling me how ***** Scottish football is. Not because they have been to a game in real life of course, but because they are comparing what they see on the telly to the English and Spanish matches they watch.

So yeh ... I suppose you are right ... The SFA / SPL shouldnt be able to black out matches from other countries in Scotland and like you say I should get used to it.

But nothing in your argument will persuade me that this ongoing and escalating saturation coverage of foreign football in Scotland will not be to the detriment of the game here. It will no doubt come to it where most ( so called ) football fans in Scotland will be supporting EPL clubs, just like they do in Ireland.

jgl07
16-06-2012, 06:54 PM
First of all the point about Wimbledon etc was not to illustrate that the SFA/SPL can black out matches, but rather that there are situations where it is accepted that the moral case for doing something can outweigh the financial case when it comes to sport.

Your last point is perfectly true ... there will be more EPL and other continental leagues matches shown in Scotland in the future.

I just love it watching games in the pub ... lets say Aberdeen v Hibs from Pittodrie ... and listening to all the armchair pundits telling me how ***** Scottish football is. Not because they have been to a game in real life of course, but because they are comparing what they see on the telly to the English and Spanish matches they watch.

So yeh ... I suppose you are right ... The SFA / SPL shouldnt be able to black out matches from other countries in Scotland and like you say I should get used to it.

But nothing in your argument will persuade me that this ongoing and escalating saturation coverage of foreign football in Scotland will not be to the detriment of the game here. It will no doubt come to it where most ( so called ) football fans in Scotland will be supporting EPL clubs, just like they do in Ireland.

But the point is that there is nothing that the authorities or anyone else can do to prevent coverage.

As things stand a lot of matches televised down south are not covered by BBC Scotland or STV but anyone with a cable box or a satellite dish can select BBC England or ITV and watch them anyway. If that fails it is easy to pick up a stream for virtually any match in the top European Leagues.

The anser is to make Scottish Football more watchable and a competitive League would be the best way to acheive this.