PDA

View Full Version : Peter Cormack Interview

Billy
12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Just incase you have missed it but the official site has been running the interview these last 2 days:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120611/hibernian-tv-cormack-interview_2262950_2808341

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120612/cormack-i-loved-to-entertain_2262950_2809432

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYj308F6Aw0&feature=relmfu

Billy
12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMC7RrZdbxo&feature=relmfu

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-06-2012, 09:17 PM
He was a yam before he went to Hibs :rolleyes:

His Grandad lived below me and he played keepie uppie with me in my back green

So there!

:greengrin

iwasthere1972
12-06-2012, 10:04 PM

So there!

Even Messi couldn't perform tricks like that.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2012, 10:07 PM
I liked Peter Cormack. One of my favourite moments (and I hope this is right) of watching Peter play is when he scored from the half way line against Dunfermline at Easter Road. Think we won 3-1 or something like that. It was a lovely sunny day....I think. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
12-06-2012, 10:09 PM
I liked Peter Cormack. One of my favourite moments (and I hope this is right) of watching Peter play is when he scored from the half way line against Dunfermline at Easter Road. Think we won 3-1 or something like that. It was a lovely sunny day....I think. :greengrin

So did I - an early 'hero' who dropped in my estimation when he got sent off for a shocking tackle on Des Bremner at ER. Corky was playing for Bristol City at the time.

The Harp
12-06-2012, 10:20 PM
So did I - an early 'hero' who dropped in my estimation when he got sent off for a shocking tackle on Des Bremner at ER. Corky was playing for Bristol City at the time.

I'll give him a kick in the shins next time I see him at the bar in the Ellwyn.:wink:

Jonnyboy
12-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I'll give him a kick in the shins next time I see him at the bar in the Ellwyn.:wink:

JimBHibees
13-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Did he not head butt Bremner to get sent off in that match?

Can vaguley remember that silky defender Norman Hunter getting sent off in that game also?

Tom Hart RIP
13-06-2012, 07:54 PM

My first game. It was 2-0. Roy Barry scored of then Peter scored from half way line. I found programme recently. October 1967. Few weeks later we beat Naples 5-0 then Leeds put us out of fairs cup with worst referred decision ever. Clive Thomas

iwasthere1972
13-06-2012, 08:55 PM
My first game. It was 2-0. Roy Barry scored of then Peter scored from half way line. I found programme recently. October 1967. Few weeks later we beat Naples 5-0 then Leeds put us out of fairs cup with worst referred decision ever. Clive Thomas

Thanks for that. Sometimes I think I just imagined it.

I was also at the other two games you mention. Referees with the initials CT are all cheats.

Tom Hart RIP
13-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for that. Sometimes I think I just imagined it.

I was also at the other two games you mention. Referees with the initials CT are all cheats.

Funny you should say that. I've mentioned Peter cormacks goal to all my hibby pals and none could remember it. I thought I'd imagined it to.
We won the next derby 1-0 with Joe Davis scoring a late penalty in front if the shed just after it started snowing. Put it in the corner to the keepers left. Anyone else remember that day. It was a new years day game.

Jonnyboy
13-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Did he not head butt Bremner to get sent off in that match?

Can vaguley remember that silky defender Norman Hunter getting sent off in that game also?

Correct on both counts, Jim

Match finished at 1-1 and Tom Hart threatened to stop his side playing the second leg but they did so after being told they'd face a hefty fine for not fulfilling the fixture. Arthur Duncan scored for Hibs and Ally McLeod missed a pen. Lost the second leg 5-3, McLeod got a double and Martin Henderson the other

IberianHibernian
13-06-2012, 10:03 PM
My 2 clearest memories of Cormack are being sent off in a New Year`s Derby at ER ( 1970 perhaps ? ) and then the head butt when at Bristol City . Fans were not as understanding of players leaving Hibs for money back in the 60s as now so i don`t remember him being considered a hero by any means and he was well past his best when he played for us in 80s . I remember hearing many rumours he`d been promised manager`s job in 80s ( ? ) .

Billy
14-06-2012, 04:25 PM
The final part of the interview and wait till you see his reaction when asked what Hibernian means to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYivwYRwqOw

mjhibby
14-06-2012, 05:06 PM

So there!

Stays just down the road from me.Kevin keegan said in an interview of liverpools dream team of players he played with that cormack would be in his first eleven which shows how highly he was rated down there.When you think of the players we produced then its strange that so few are coming through now.Watched him when he was in the liverpool cup winning team in 74 and strolled through the game.Only lost his place to ray kennedy due to a persistent injury.Doesnt get mentioned in the same breath as other ex hibbies but along with des bremner a vastly underrated player.if shanks thought he was good enough,then that says it all.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I forgave him for the yam bit but don't think he was really a fan of them :greengrin

He was one of the first players in that era that stuck out like a sore thumb, we used to call him the stick insect as he was so thin but at the same time time hard as nails.

I wasn't expecting that ending of the 3rd segment and have to say I welled up big time.

Proud to be a Hibernian player he was and my goodness what I would give to him someone in our team now with a quarter of his ability.

Rock on Pedro!

Ray_
14-06-2012, 07:58 PM
My 2 clearest memories of Cormack are being sent off in a New Year`s Derby at ER ( 1970 perhaps ? ) and then the head butt when at Bristol City . Fans were not as understanding of players leaving Hibs for money back in the 60s as now so i don`t remember him being considered a hero by any means and he was well past his best when he played for us in 80s . I remember hearing many rumours he`d been promised manager`s job in 80s ( ? ) .

It was 1970, for a kick aimed at Peter Oliver [0-0], Marinello had just been sold the day before and he was very peeved with that.

As a youngster I used to see them both walking along the prom at Porty on many occasions, they both would have a chat & give autographs etc.

I thought he was an outstanding player & was totally gutted when he was sold just four months after his pal for a poxy 80K, we had previously turned down 150K, inclusive in a swap with Peter Lorimer, from Leeds, so we could have had Billy Bremner & Peter Lorimer, before the seventies started.

I remember his final game, we beat St Johnstone 4-1 & he got two of the goals.

johnrebus
15-06-2012, 08:10 AM
It was 1970, for a kick aimed at Peter Oliver [0-0], Marinello had just been sold the day before and he was very peeved with that.

As a youngster I used to see them both walking along the prom at Porty on many occasions, they both would have a chat & give autographs etc.

I thought he was an outstanding player & was totally gutted when he was sold just four months after his pal for a poxy 80K, we had previously turned down 150K, inclusive in a swap with Peter Lorimer, from Leeds, so we could have had Billy Bremner & Peter Lorimer, before the seventies started.

I remember his final game, we beat St Johnstone 4-1 & he got two of the goals.

He got one, Joe McBride scored a hatrick.

I remember feeling pig sick when Cormack was sold a couple of days later. Mind you, I was already getting used to it, as we had sold Stein and Marinello not long before.

Nothing changes.

:rolleyes:

The Harp
16-06-2012, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=Billy;3263276]The final part of the interview and wait till you see his reaction when asked what Hibernian means to him.

Well, that certainly took me by surprise, but lovely to see. Great to know that he still holds the Hibs in his affections.

Ray_
16-06-2012, 03:00 PM

I remember feeling pig sick when Cormack was sold a couple of days later. Mind you, I was already getting used to it, as we had sold Stein and Marinello not long before.

Nothing changes.

I was as well, totally gutted, Tuesday afternoon's evening news headline, I was even more gutted at the start of the league cup section games up at Aberdeen, when I saw his replacement play for the first time in a Hibs strip, Jim Blair, I think we got beat 3-0 as well :(

I've always had it in my head that he got two that afternoon, it must have been because I was sooo young at the time, where as you ......:greengrin

Ray_
16-06-2012, 03:08 PM

I remember feeling pig sick when Cormack was sold a couple of days later. Mind you, I was already getting used to it, as we had sold Stein and Marinello not long before.Nothing changes.

Like you, I was pig sick however, very soon afterwards [1971], we had Alex Cropley coming through in Peter Cormack's No 10 shirt and not too long after that we had Alan Gordon and Alex Edwards in place of the other two, things do change and I'm afraid its a far cry from "for the better".

HibbyKeith
17-06-2012, 06:43 PM
We should be showing all future players who sign for hibs the last 20secs of the final chapter of that interview.

A man who is highly regarded in england, won the eufa cup twice, F.A cup twice, english league titles, charity shields yet he is still welling up with pride when asked what it means to play for Hibs.

:flag::pfgwa:flag:

Ray_
17-06-2012, 07:39 PM
We should be showing all future players who sign for hibs the last 20secs of the final chapter of that interview.

A man who is highly regarded in england, won the eufa cup twice, F.A cup twice, english league titles, charity shields yet he is still welling up with pride when asked what it means to play for Hibs.

:flag::pfgwa:flag:

I hate to say it, but it was a totally different Hibs to what we get today. The fans then expected and got very stylish entertaining attacking football, superb players, successful jontes in to Europe, to beat hearts and players who played their heart out for the team & all of this for 25p per adult.