PDA

View Full Version : Argentina v Brazil

HibeeBigFly
09-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Messi scores twice in five minutes against Brazil!

HH81
09-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Against Brazil!

Oh i see what you mean, ESPN live now :aok:

HibeeSince85
09-06-2012, 07:53 PM
What a footballer!

HibeeBigFly
09-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Much better game but I have switched back now. Decent channel hop for 15mins tho.

HibeeBigFly
09-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Marcelo and lavezzi sent off, argies winning 4-3 with a messi treble.

Jonnyboy
09-06-2012, 08:58 PM

Now there's a shock :wink:

Onceinawhile
09-06-2012, 09:01 PM
What a third goal by messi!

blackpoolhibs
09-06-2012, 09:34 PM

I think thats his first treble of his career.

jgl07
09-06-2012, 09:51 PM
I think thats his first treble of his career.

Aye he normally scores them in fours.

blackpoolhibs
09-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Aye he normally scores them in fours.

:greengrin

fordie2
09-06-2012, 09:56 PM
What a third goal by messi!

:agree:

Absolute stoater of a goal!

Hibercelona
09-06-2012, 10:06 PM
The man isn't just gifted, but has that all important winning mentality, even in friendlies.

Their should be far more players out there like him than there currently is.

frazeHFC
09-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Anyone know anywhere where i can see the goals, apart from SSN?

HibsNutter
09-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm absolutely gobsmacked by the boy, you constantly think that he surely can't get any better but he is still improving and it is scary. :agree:

ScottB
09-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Complete with over the top Brazilian commentary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylrvg0hDqQE

CropleyWasGod
09-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Did I miss something.... Messi only scored one in the last five minutes, no?

Col2
09-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Did I miss something.... Messi only scored one in the last five minutes, no?

Nope - got no 1 and 2.

fatbloke
09-06-2012, 11:41 PM
The man isn't just gifted, but has that all important winning mentality, even in friendlies.

Their should be far more players out there like him than there currently is.

Sorry, still not Hibs class.

Spudster
09-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Nope - got no 1 and 2.
Which would mean all 7 goals came in the last 5mins :faint:

Barney McGrew
10-06-2012, 06:35 AM
He never does it for his country apparently :wink:

Since90+2
10-06-2012, 08:52 AM
He never does it for his country apparently :wink:

Undoubtedly the best player in the world but until he wins the World Cup will still rank behind Maradona , Zidane and Pele for me.

EdinMike
10-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I'de rate him over Zidane myself, is he the greatest player i've witnessed in my lifetime ?! Possibly..

I will and still catalogue everything he does just so i have references to tell the grandkids.

Btw PS ! What a game I would have given my left pinky toe to watch. An Argentina v Brazil friendly that ended 4-3 !

Pretty Boy
10-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Undoubtedly the best player in the world but until he wins the World Cup will still rank behind Maradona , Zidane and Pele for me.

The Champions League is a far better quality of tournament than the World Cup these days imo.

Hibbyradge
10-06-2012, 09:19 AM
The disappointment in the Brazilian commentator's voice is obvious, despite me not understanding Portuguese. He almost spits when Argentina score their equaliser. :hilarious

It made me realise that English commentators are no different to those from any nation. They all talk about football in relation to their own team and they always show bias.

It's just that we don't hear or understand the others.

However, that's probably for another thread!

Since90+2
10-06-2012, 09:29 AM
The Champions League is a far better quality of tournament than the World Cup these days imo.

Possibly.

A World Cup IMO though brings with it unrivalled pressure and expectation (especially for the big nations) that far surpasses the Champions League so if Messi can manage to win it for Argentina he would become the best of all time for me. Until then i'd have him behind the three I mentioned.

ScottB
10-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Certainly on a night where Ronaldo did nothing yet again on the biggest stage, it's further evidence that he is head and shoulders at least above any other current player.

Is he the best of all time? Maybe, certainly I'd argue he's up against much stronger, fitter defenders than all the other candidates for the honour, except Zidane I guess, yet he still either goes through them like they aren't there or simply runs past them!

I do agree that he needs a World Cup. Pulling that off in Brazil in 2 years time... That would make him the best ever!

marinello59
10-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Possibly.

A World Cup IMO though brings with it unrivalled pressure and expectation (especially for the big nations) that far surpasses the Champions League so if Messi can manage to win it for Argentina he would become the best of all time for me. Until then i'd have him behind the three I mentioned.

Producing top class performances year after year in the Champions League far surpasses hitting a purple patch in a tourmament only held every four years IMHO. Times have changed and International football is no longer the be all and end all. Let's just pretend that I agree with you though. There is a decent argument to be made for George Best being the greatest player these islands ever produced. Should we rank him behind the England World Cup winners in terms of all round ability? I know who the bright shining star for was for from that era and it wasn't Geoff Hurst. :greengrin

Since90+2
10-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Producing top class performances year after year in the Champions League far surpasses hitting a purple patch in a tourmament only held every four years IMHO. Times have changed and International football is no longer the be all and end all. Let's just pretend that I agree with you though. There is a decent argument to be made for George Best being the greatest player these islands ever produced. Should we rank him behind the England World Cup winners in terms of all round ability? I know who the bright shining star for was for from that era and it wasn't Geoff Hurst. :greengrin

For me thats the very reason the World Cup is still the absolute pinnacle of any footballers career because it only happens every four years.

You could also make an arguement that Messi is also helped in the Champions League by the fact he is playing in probably the best club team ever , of which he is without doubt the main man , but with the help of other legends like Xavi (who is IMO also one of the best players of all time) , Iniesta and Villa.

Hibbyradge
10-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Great point about Best.

I think Messi is the best player ever, even if he never gets a WC winners medal.

For me, it's about ability, not silverware, and I've never seen anyone as skilled or as consistent.

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2012, 10:19 AM

:agree: For me Messi is the best i have ever seen. I have never seen anyone on film or live, do the things he does, as regularly as he does.

A genius with a football, a goalscorer and a team player.

I'd dread to think just how much he'd be worth if Barca were stupid enough to sell him?

Hibbyradge
10-06-2012, 10:22 AM
For me thats the very reason the World Cup is still the absolute pinnacle of any footballers career because it only happens every four years.

You could also make an arguement that Messi is also helped in the Champions League by the fact he is playing in probably the best club team ever , of which he is without doubt the main man , but with the help of other legends like Xavi (who is IMO also one of the best players of all time) , Iniesta and Villa.

Why does he get a regular game for the best club team in the world?

I just thought, aren't we lucky to have been around to be able to have this argument?

Maradoona v Messi. It's a bit like comparing Godfather with Godfather 2. Both were absolutely fantastic.

Teo10
10-06-2012, 10:28 AM
The game is on ESPN just now..... Brasil just went 1-0 up... Bet anyone £20 that it finishes 4-3 Argentina!:greengrin

Since90+2
10-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Why does he get a regular game for the best club team in the world?

Because he's the best player in the world? :confused:

Why do you think he gets a game?

Teo10
10-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Neymar is some player aswell

Teo10
10-06-2012, 10:34 AM
He just makes it look too easy.......

Hibbyradge
10-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Because he's the best player in the world? :confused:

Why do you think he gets a game?

Exactly.

Actually, I think I misunderstood your original point :rolleyes:

Anyway, as I said in my edit, I feel very lucky to have been around to be able to compare them.

Since90+2
10-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Just watching the replay on ESPN just now and I see there is no segregation at all? Surprised there is no bother considering how big rivals they are. Can you imagine that if it was England v Scotland or England v Germany :duck:

Hibbyradge
10-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Just watching the replay on ESPN just now and I see there is no segregation at all? Surprised there is no bother considering how big rivals they are. Can you imagine that if it was England v Scotland or England v Germany :duck:

It was played in New Jersey so I doubt feelings would be running high.

I can't imagine there ever being a Scotland v England friendly arranged.

Kaiser1962
10-06-2012, 12:26 PM
It was played in New Jersey so I doubt feelings would be running high.

I can't imagine there ever being a Scotland v England friendly arranged.

I dont think they would have the lack of segragation that was visible in the Brazil-Argentina game. Was a pleasure to watch.