PDA

View Full Version : The Beach Boys 50th Annversary

Kato
08-06-2012, 08:58 PM
They've made a good album, certainly their best since "The Beach Boys Love You" (1977).

Given their history, especially the vitriol, back-biting and litigation of the last 20 years it's pretty miraculous and a tad emotional. It's not cutting edge, they are all knocking 70 after all but it's far more acceptable than anything else they've made the last 30 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8QqwWb3RI

Hibernia&Alba
08-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Great band, really groundbreaking in their pomp. It's a real shame it all got too much for Brian Wilson. Their harmonies are just brilliant.

heretoday
09-06-2012, 04:16 PM
The Beach Boys were brilliant in the 60s and nothing conjures up that era better than their sound. But the thing didn't survive the turn of the 70s.

We always listen to the BBs when we are driving off on holiday!

I like the song Do It Again best. It's quite complex.

Kato
09-06-2012, 08:06 PM
The Beach Boys were brilliant in the 60s and nothing conjures up that era better than their sound. But the thing didn't survive the turn of the 70s.

I hear you. As commercial powerhouses their status waned post-Hendrix when "heavier" music became fashionable amongst the more macho hippies and faux-blues was what people wanted. They still had the odd hit outside the USA though and some of their albums are well worth a listen.

1970 - Sunflower: Great album, group effort rather than relying on Brian Wilson for everything

1971 - Surf's Up: Another good one a bit more patchy than the above and has some mid-60's SMiLE out-takes to beef it up.

1972 - Carl and the Passions – "So Tough", pretty good, not their usual sound which makes it fresher.

1973 - Holland, recorded in errrm, Holland. A lot "serious" BB's fans rate this very highly but personally can't stand it bar the opening track "Sail On Sailor". Came with a free EP featuring a Brian Wilson fairy tale "Mount Vernon and Fairway, which is way more interesting than the LP.

1976 - 15 Big Ones. Rock and Roll cover versions made in an attempt to get a corpulent, drug crippled, bedroom bound Brian back in the studio. A flabby LP, if they had made it 10 Big Ones it would have been snappier and probably a bigger hit.

1977 - Love You. Probably their last cutting edge record. Huge synth sounds and a home made vibe, gives it a Punk Rock DIY feel. An acquired taste but a great, great album. Don't expect Good Vibrations if you track it down. It's more Goof Vibrations.

1978 - M.I.U. Album, second side is patchy but not made.

1979 - L.A. (Light Album), has a classic in Good Timin', the rest is the BB's doing BW impersonations, which sort makes it work.

1980 - Keepin' the Summer Alive, awful

1985 - The Beach Boys, awful

1989 - Still Cruisin', awfulier

1992 - Summer in Paradise, awfuliererer

New album would make a great swan song if it's their last.

PeeJay
12-06-2012, 11:40 AM
I hear you. As commercial powerhouses their status waned post-Hendrix when "heavier" music became fashionable amongst the more macho hippies and faux-blues was what people wanted. They still had the odd hit outside the USA though and some of their albums are well worth a listen.

1970 - Sunflower: Great album, group effort rather than relying on Brian Wilson for everything

1971 - Surf's Up: Another good one a bit more patchy than the above and has some mid-60's SMiLE out-takes to beef it up.

1972 - Carl and the Passions – "So Tough", pretty good, not their usual sound which makes it fresher.

1973 - Holland, recorded in errrm, Holland. A lot "serious" BB's fans rate this very highly but personally can't stand it bar the opening track "Sail On Sailor". Came with a free EP featuring a Brian Wilson fairy tale "Mount Vernon and Fairway, which is way more interesting than the LP.

1976 - 15 Big Ones. Rock and Roll cover versions made in an attempt to get a corpulent, drug crippled, bedroom bound Brian back in the studio. A flabby LP, if they had made it 10 Big Ones it would have been snappier and probably a bigger hit.

1977 - Love You. Probably their last cutting edge record. Huge synth sounds and a home made vibe, gives it a Punk Rock DIY feel. An acquired taste but a great, great album. Don't expect Good Vibrations if you track it down. It's more Goof Vibrations.

1978 - M.I.U. Album, second side is patchy but not made.

1979 - L.A. (Light Album), has a classic in Good Timin', the rest is the BB's doing BW impersonations, which sort makes it work.

1980 - Keepin' the Summer Alive, awful

1985 - The Beach Boys, awful

1989 - Still Cruisin', awfulier

1992 - Summer in Paradise, awfuliererer

New album would make a great swan song if it's their last.

'Surf's Up' is one of my favourite (BB) LPs of all time - Carl's 'Feel Flow' is sheer genius and 'Surf's Up' surely ranks up there with Wilson's finest arrangements / material. Some of the other 'tracks' are great too, DGNTW, LPR and UID -

IMO everything after 1976 was a waste of vinyl - the new one hasn't quite convinced me yet either.

Kato
12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
[FONT=arial]

'Surf's Up' is one of my favourite (BB) LPs of all time - Carl's 'Feel Flow' is sheer genius and 'Surf's Up' surely ranks up there with Wilson's finest arrangements / material. Some of the other 'tracks' are great too, DGNTW, LPR and UID -

It's a fine record, relies on some 1967 material to make it so though. Feel flows is Carl's finest moment.

IMO everything after 1976 was a waste of vinyl - the new one hasn't quite convinced me yet either.

I love Love You, 1977. Out of the norm for their sound bar the bootlegs, Adult Child (genius) and Landlocked (again superb).

New one is a grower. Last three tracks are really great. It's the sound of 70 year old beach dudes realising they have many waves left.

Kato
12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Great acoustic set, with top quality vocals from Brian Wilson, he's singing way better than he's any right to.

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/rs-live/beach-boys-play-their-classics-legends-perform-in-rolling-stone-studio-20120606

PeeJay
13-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Great acoustic set, with top quality vocals from Brian Wilson, he's singing way better than he's any right to.

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/rs-live/beach-boys-play-their-classics-legends-perform-in-rolling-stone-studio-20120606

:top marks- Thanks for the link - brilliant - made my day!