PDA

View Full Version : Do you play an instrument?

Hibernia&Alba
08-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Hibs fans are of course artistic, creative people. I'm just learning blues harp. Early days but I'm really enjoying it. I've always wanted to play harmonica but never gotten around to it, so this is something new.

I expect a few posters play guitar or piano. Anyone play something more unusual - trombone or xylophone perhaps? I'd love to learn sax.

hibsbollah
08-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Alto saxophone. But im badly out of practice.

A boy I went to school with plays the blues harmonica. Recently got in touch with him again via facebook and he has a proper recording contract and all sorts, although it took him about 25 years :greengrin A much harder instrument to play well than most people think, I believe.

Pretty Boy
08-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I played cello for about 8 years at school(s).

Gave up when I realised I preferred devoting my time to birds and football.

Peevemor
09-06-2012, 07:21 AM
I've played the pipes for 36 years and am a salaried, part-time, instructor.

s.a.m
09-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Clarinet, in a community wind band. I took it up after I had my first daughter, having always wanted to play an instrument. Absolutely love it. If anyone's thinking about it, it's never too late :aok:.

VickMackie
09-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Strum a banjo from time to time.

Hibby_Paul
09-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Started learning guitar over last few years.

Can play a few tunes now but nothing too difficult. Enjoy it but it's bloody hard to master and true what they say about practice, practice, practice!

Steve-O
09-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Love music, cannot play a note :greengrin

Liam_Hibs
09-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately not.

Always wanted to learn to play the piano after seeing the film 'The Pianist', but haven't got round to it yet!

Lucius Apuleius
09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I can play the pi a no, pi a no, pi a no. I can play the pi a no. What can you play? (actually the only thing I was any good at was my organ, even that is now gone)

Dinkydoo
09-06-2012, 01:06 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/519a5e4f-4a98-161e.jpg

Wembley67
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
The wife is great at playing the pink oboe.

Hibernia&Alba
09-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Alto saxophone. But im badly out of practice.

A boy I went to school with plays the blues harmonica. Recently got in touch with him again via facebook and he has a proper recording contract and all sorts, although it took him about 25 years :greengrin A much harder instrument to play well than most people think, I believe.

Yes, harmonica is harder than you'd think. Its small size makes you think it's easy, but that's actually what makes it difficult. It's hard to master the single notes when they are so small. I did a couple of hours practice earlier and I'm getting there with them, then I can move on to more complicated things. I bought a really good teaching book but there's a long way to go. As long as you enjoy it, you have a chance.

How much is a decent sax?

hibsbollah
10-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Not really sure mate. I paid roundabout £500 for mine but that was 15 years ago. Im sure I saw one in the window of a shop in the bridges for 250 not so long ago.

nonshinyfinish
10-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Play the guitar fairly badly. I also have a theremin, although I've never really progressed beyond making weird noises.

.Sean.
10-06-2012, 12:52 PM
I bought myself an electric guitar last year.

Chummed my mate to Argos at the fort (I was just out the pub, and pretty steaming) so decided i'd treat myself to a guitar. I'm absolutely horrific on it.

However, I do enjoy shutting the curtains, putting on The Smiths and strutting around pretending i'm Johnny Marr!

greenlex
10-06-2012, 07:38 PM
The wife is great at playing the pink oboe.
:agree: Yes she is.

Calvin
11-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I learned sax at school (played soprano and alto) but only brought the alto sax up to Aberdeen last month so I'm badly out of practice. I also brought up my drumkit but there's a business below my flat and neighbours upstairs so I'm usually too self conscious to practice much. I have been teaching myself piano lately which has been going reasonably well, and I intend to finally start on guitar next month.

hibsbollah
11-06-2012, 03:43 PM
I learned sax at school (played soprano and alto) but only brought the alto sax up to Aberdeen last month so I'm badly out of practice. I also brought up my drumkit but there's a business below my flat and neighbours upstairs so I'm usually too self conscious to practice much. I have been teaching myself piano lately which has been going reasonably well, and I intend to finally start on guitar next month.

Sax player AND Seattle Seahawk fan? You sure you're not me? :dunno: :greengrin

Kato
11-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I play Bass guitar reasonably well, ok on rhythm guitar.

Also play banjo, keys, drums and trumpet reasonably badly but can persevere with a tune.

Would love to play accordion, but canny get the hang of it all.

Hibbyradge
12-06-2012, 04:58 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YU6-Uil_-LQ/THxZlvdg7AI/AAAAAAAABdo/7153381af0U/s1600/photo.animal.muppets.jpg