PDA

View Full Version : FC Liege

jodjam
08-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Done a tour today for 10 Belgian surgeons. The chat got onto football and it turns out 2 of the crowd now part own FC Liege. Spoke fondly of the Hibs visit which they said we were the best fans they had seen. The goal they scored is still regarded as one of the clubs best ever. It bloody broke my heart when the freak shot went in.

They had a dodgy owner who got the club in a lot of debt and they are now down in Division 4.

Magnifique
08-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Done a tour today for 10 Belgian surgeons. The chat got onto football and it turns out 2 of the crowd now part own FC Liege. Spoke fondly of the Hibs visit which they said we were the best fans they had seen. The goal they scored is still regarded as one of the clubs best ever. It bloody broke my heart when the freak shot went in.

They had a dodgy owner who got the club in a lot of debt and they are now down in Division 4.

Was there that night I remember GOram was at his very very best all game but that goal was simply unsaveable

I'm off you YouTube to see if it's there by any chance

lucky
08-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Great trip. My first ever euro away game. Went by bus. Stayed in Brussels. Sad to see them division 4

frazeHFC
08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Belgium, nice place, would love a trip there one day. :agree:

jodjam
08-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Was there that night I remember GOram was at his very very best all game but that goal was simply unsaveable

I'm off you YouTube to see if it's there by any chance

I'm sure the lad hit this with his standing leg too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0OuGICi5GE

cammy1969
08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah what trip, bused it arrived in liege 8 in the morning of the game all day on the drink, game, and then straight back on the bus and home shattered when a got hame

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qvj53i
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Travelled by bus to that game (Beastie Bus), toilet was overflown by time we got onto motorway....Great trip, remember being in a college class as their were beauties everywhere, until the lecturer rumbled us and we got ejected.....My first taste of Duval....Fond memories

jodjam
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah what trip, bused it arrived in liege 8 in the morning of the game all day on the drink, game, and then straight back on the bus and home shattered when a got hame

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qvj53i
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I done the same. Plan was to do it on the cheap and keep money for the next round. Seemed a good idea at the time.

silverhibee
08-06-2012, 09:08 PM

:faf:

LancashireHibby
08-06-2012, 09:32 PM
I take it that a trip to Belgium is on the pre-season list?! Wish they'd hurry up and announce the bloody things.

Leithenhibby
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm sure the lad hit this with his standing leg too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0OuGICi5GE

I recall that trip with such a gutted feeling in my belly. Recall watching our disallowed goal over and over, thinking that it should have stood ... :rolleyes: no again....

Cracking trip though. :aok:

The Godfather
08-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I came through from Werl in Germany with about what I am sure was about 200 other Royal Scots, brilliant night apart from the score. Also, me and the guys had massive teddy bear with us that got a photo in the next days evening news back home lol

BroxburnHibee
08-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Travelled by bus to that game (Beastie Bus), toilet was overflown by time we got onto motorway....Great trip, remember being in a college class as their were beauties everywhere, until the lecturer rumbled us and we got ejected.....My first taste of Duval....Fond memories

Bloody spent the best part of 2 years going everywhere on the beastie bus then when it came to that game my work wouldn't give me the time off!!!! :fuming::brickwall

Even worse when I heard all about it :greengrin

SonOfDavidFrancey
09-06-2012, 12:08 AM
I was listening on the radio. Bob Crampsey said: that shot could have ended up in in the back of the net or it could have ended up in Ghent.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-06-2012, 09:14 AM
I look back at that game and think what if. We really should have gone into the away leg at least one goal up.

Baldy Foghorn
09-06-2012, 10:16 AM
I look back at that game and think what if. We really should have gone into the away leg at least one goal up.

Agree, we missed a penalty in the first leg at Easter Road

Baldy Foghorn
09-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I travelled to Videoton on my own when I was 16, flew on team flight organised by Sphere Travel. I was booked on Beastie Bus to go to Liege, and the night before travelling, Sphere Travel (Tommy), phoned me to say someone had pulled out of Liege trip, and offered me the space free of charge. I declined the generous offer, but coming back from Belgium on the coach, with hangover and lack of sleep I regretted my decision. Thought is was a great gesture from Sphere Travel though, and took down gifts to say thank you for their kind offer, as they had looked after me so well in Hungary....

H18sry
09-06-2012, 10:30 AM

October with Scotland see's my return to Belgium :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I seem to recall shooting fireworks out of the hotel window in Brussels which prompted an armed response unit to turn up at the hotel and put the place into lockdown, luckily we passed them on the way out the door!

frazeHFC
09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
I seem to recall shooting fireworks out of the hotel window in Brussels which prompted an armed response unit to turn up at the hotel and put the place into lockdown, luckily we passed them on the way out the door!

:faf:

lucky
09-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Was that not because the casuals had been in bother with some of the local Arab lads ( Not Dundee united fans). Seem to remember police at the top and bottom of the street with two hotels full of Hibbies in the middle.

heretoday
09-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Ten Belgian surgeons?

Can they play a bit?

They could cut a swathe through any defence in Scotland.

Baldy Foghorn
09-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Was that not because the casuals had been in bother with some of the local Arab lads ( Not Dundee united fans). Seem to remember police at the top and bottom of the street with two hotels full of Hibbies in the middle.

Was that not the Anderlecht match?

gorgie greens
10-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Was that not the Anderlecht match?

yes,im sure it was the Anderlecht match as well,believe they were Turks,who turned up with swords ,meat cleavers and more ,watched from the hotel,managed to stay in the same hotel for the Leige game.

went by train to Anderlecht,the journey was a bit somber as two fellow hibbys fell out the train windows on the way to kings cross the night before and were killed,the police banned alcohol from all the trains after the incident,and the police were really heavy handed with us on the journey down and were just looking for trouble.
great days,great company,fitba was not too bad at times either,even under Alex Miller.

weecounty hibby
10-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Was a great trip, my first Euro away match. I still have the RFC Liege scarf that i got as a swap for my Hibs scarf, red and blue unfortunately but brings back happy memories. Was it not Phillipe Albert who played for Newcaslte that scored?

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Was a great trip, my first Euro away match. I still have the RFC Liege scarf that i got as a swap for my Hibs scarf, red and blue unfortunately but brings back happy memories. Was it not Phillipe Albert who played for Newcaslte that scored?

He played in the anderlecht game, not sure if he scored? :confused: I dont remember much about Leige. :greengrin

Frazerbob
10-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Jean-Marc Bosman (the most influencial footballer of all time) played for Liege did he not?

alexedwards
11-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Jean-Marc Bosman (the most influencial footballer of all time) played for Liege did he not?

4th tier Belgium is desperate as there are 4 regional divisions on that level - well down the pecking order.

CabbageBoy
11-06-2012, 11:31 PM

Even worse was the dreadful karaoke that started around about where Ikea is now. Great trip, and good to be in Liege (Beastie bus was the only one IIRC), staying in that faded grand hotel, just next to the knocking shops. Drinking with the team in what was apparently Freshers Week at the Uni.

If Evans hadnt closed him down, De Sart would never have shot.

silverhibee
12-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm Chocolates. Yummy.

frazeHFC
12-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm Chocolates. Yummy.

Have you stopped taking your medication again? :crazy:

:greengrin

scott7_0(Prague)
12-06-2012, 08:20 AM
IIRC our hotel in Brussels was a round building and in the hollow guys were climbing out windows to play football. Also remember the wee pub at the end of the road next to the stadium.

HIBS1968
12-06-2012, 12:41 PM
yes,im sure it was the Anderlecht match as well,believe they were Turks,who turned up with swords ,meat cleavers and more ,watched from the hotel,managed to stay in the same hotel for the Leige game.

went by train to Anderlecht,the journey was a bit somber as two fellow hibbys fell out the train windows on the way to kings cross the night before and were killed,the police banned alcohol from all the trains after the incident,and the police were really heavy handed with us on the journey down and were just looking for trouble.
great days,great company,fitba was not too bad at times either,even under Alex Miller.

At the Anderlecht away game there were 4 Liege fans that got tickets for the Hibs and stood in the terracing section with our group for the whole game on the back off the previous Liege trip - good laugh - true story despite then Juplier lager overflow.

r

cabbageandribs1875
12-06-2012, 01:54 PM

sorry to be a pedant, but it was the moroccans we had trouble with in Brussels :agree:

BS44
12-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Did the game go to extra time? I'm sure we missed the last train back to Brussels so we ended up in a pub opposite the train station
watching a running battle outside. Eventually because of the trouble the police organised a special train to get the Hibs fans out
of Liege.

Peevemor
13-06-2012, 11:20 AM
I went on one of the Sphere travel buses which left from Waverley Bridge about midnight, which meant a good few pints in the Cafe Royal beforehand. I remember that they closed the bar on the ferry about half an hour after we left port - they had to restock it because we'd already drunk it dry. The ferry seemed to be all Hibs supporters apart from 2 bemused looking holidaymaking families.

What struck me when we arrived in Liege was the huge police presence (with loads of dogs), which largely disappeared by half time when they seen the craic, scarf swapping, etc. between us and the home support.

Strangely enough, can't remember much about the return journey. :dizzy:

IIRC Liege paid for a bus of Hibs supporters to attend their home match in the following round.