PDA

View Full Version : O'Connor's fraud case dropped

matty_f
08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Just saw on Twitter that Garry's fraud case has been dropped.

Grt him signed Petrie! :greengrin

Andy74
08-06-2012, 09:21 AM

I doubt he will get the jail for the coke and so if he can put all this behind him and get back to the same level as the start of the season then why not? Are we going to get better for our cash?

Cocaine&Caviar
08-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Would definitly take him back if he had the right attitude, the same goes for Griffiths. Great partnership potential there.

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
I doubt he will get the jail for the coke and so if he can put all this behind him and get back to the same level as the start of the season then why not? Are we going to get better for our cash?

Not if he was fit and playing at his best, but he's not been fit for a long time. Add in his liking of the bevy, and the white stuff.

Is he the type of player we want at the club, are we not trying to rid ourselves of this culture?

Stevie Reid
08-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Not if he was fit and playing at his best, but he's not been fit for a long time. Add in his liking of the bevy, and the white stuff.

Is he the type of player we want at the club, are we not trying to rid ourselves of this culture?

:agree:

His goals last year were invaluable but his attitude during and after the cup final was disgusting IMO. We were told that we sold Stokes for reasons that would come to the fore eventually, with a heavy implication that he was a bad influence around the club - yet a year later we signed Garry, who has rarely been out of the papers for a succession of embarrassing stories.

I was happy with his signing and you can't argue that over the course of the season, he was technically a success - and we are unlikely to get such scoring prowess for free. Regardless, I don't think that he is what we need going forward, especially if we are to finally truly rid ourselves of the poor culture at the club.

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Is this the same Andy74 who bangs on about us getting Killen/Boozy/Murphy/Sproule/Gatheussi for the wages we pay?

HibbyAndy
08-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Be delighted if GOC signed back on at ER.:agree:

.Sean.
08-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Why's it been dropped?

Hopefully this has all been the kick up the arse he's been needing and he can find a club at which he can finally knuckle down and grow up a bit.

Iain G
08-06-2012, 09:39 AM

It's a big question isn't it, on his day, fit and with his head in the right space yes he is an asset to Hibs...but have we gone past that now, has he blown it and like Brebner a number of years ago a negative influence that we dont want around the club? :confused:

JimBHibees
08-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Agree hope he doesnt sign he has more baggage than a 747 and as you say we need dedicated professionals not wasters who are talented but are appalling role models for the rest of the group. I think it was Alex Ferguson who said to the most important thing a young manager can do is to "Treat them all the same", we now need that at ER more than ever.

Andy74
08-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Is this the same Andy74 who bangs on about us getting Killen/Boozy/Murphy/Sproule/Gatheussi for the wages we pay?

:greengrin

It was a genuine question and I accept we can get better, of course, and also agree with the culture thing.

iwasthere1972
08-06-2012, 09:48 AM
He needs to lose some of that extra weight that he's been lugging around. If he can do that, run faster and keep fit then would be delighted to see him in the green and white next season.

Treadstone
08-06-2012, 09:57 AM
This is not a wee laddie we are talking about . He is 29 . Should be in his prime but instead is unfit with a poor attitude to his professional and personal life . Thanks for the memories Garry especially that last minute winner against the Yams . Hope you have enough dough to live comfortably , you should have done a lot more in the game , great physique , pace and decent technique but you blew it . We need to change the direction of the club and guys like you just don't fit .

Kato
08-06-2012, 09:58 AM
He needs to lose some of that extra weight that he's been lugging around.

How many grams do you reckon?

No thanks from me. Wrong attitude, will never be as fit as we need due to his habit and would rather see someone with some pace.

Hainan Hibs
08-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Will probably go against the grain here but as much as an asset as he could be I don't want him back at the club.

I hope that the Cup Final was the final wake up call everyone at the club needed that the culture at ER has to be ripped up and changed, and that won't be done if players like O'Connor are welcomed back yet again.

3pm
08-06-2012, 10:02 AM
No thanks.

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I dont want GOC anywhere near our club.....The sight of him joking after the final debacle sickened me, then him swaggering about up the town afterwards sickened me further......He has a drugs problem, not fit enough, and not exactly a good role model to kids is he? He is unlikely to change his habits, so as the Dragon's say "I'm out"

Leithenhibby
08-06-2012, 10:19 AM

He was cleared, not dropped ... :wink: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18367046

http://www.justgiving.com/thecycle

jacomo
08-06-2012, 10:28 AM

I would love there to be some redemption in this story - a talented footballer who loses his way, gets a wake-up call, and then makes up for his mistakes by changing his lifestyle and focusing 100% on his career.

It's not going to happen though, is it?

Maybe he should follow Brebner's example and move to Australia - it seemed to work out for him.

JimBHibees
08-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I dont want GOC anywhere near our club.....The sight of him joking after the final debacle sickened me, then him swaggering about up the town afterwards sickened me further......He has a drugs problem, not fit enough, and not exactly a good role model to kids is he? He is unlikely to change his habits, so as the Dragon's say "I'm out"

Nail on head.

theonlywayisup
08-06-2012, 11:05 AM
He was cleared, not dropped ... :wink: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18367046

http://www.justgiving.com/thecycle

See, a fit GOC would have got further than a few hundred metres before being caught.

"However, he fled police after giving them a false name, only to be caught a few hundred metres away. He is to be sentenced on 29 June"

VickMackie
08-06-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm guessing he was cleared because he cancelled the claim.

Not sure if I'd have him back. See if we can get anything better. However, for the club culture it may not be the best idea.

DC_Hibs
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Excellent news that justice has been served and an innocent man can walk free.

Doon south or abroad please Gazza, yer time's up at Hibs ya bam.

Beefster
08-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Lucky boy.

If we re-sign him, absolutely hee-haw has changed at Hibs and all the rhetoric about 'new culture' is just that.

Golden Bear
08-06-2012, 11:35 AM
He's too old to learn his lesson and I'd bet that something similar will happen in the future.

Thanks for the memories Garry - now go and find yourself another Club.

lucky
08-06-2012, 11:40 AM
He is a decent finisher at SPL level. But his personnel problems are deeper than just this case. When he is fit and applying himself he would be an asset. But his antics off the pitch are disrespectful to the fans. His performances at times were woeful, shape and touch of an elephant. I would not give him a contract but would consider a a pay as you play contract linked to fitness and and behavior

Dinkydoo
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
New players? New Attitude? New Culture....?

Not if we're resigning the likes of GOC and Soares. :rolleyes:

Paisley Hibby
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
This is not a wee laddie we are talking about . He is 29 . Should be in his prime but instead is unfit with a poor attitude to his professional and personal life . Thanks for the memories Garry especially that last minute winner against the Yams . Hope you have enough dough to live comfortably , you should have done a lot more in the game , great physique , pace and decent technique but you blew it . We need to change the direction of the club and guys like you just don't fit .

For me, he burnt his bridges with his shocking performance at the cup final and behavior afterwards. He should have been at home hanging his head in shame not out on the lash having a great time. He's way more bother than he's worth.

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
He couldn't stop telling anyone who'd listen he was off to the smellies before the last window.

In my opinion he will struggle to get a team, and i hope to god we dont go near him again, ever.

Hibbyradge
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm guessing he was cleared because he cancelled the claim.

Not sure if I'd have him back. See if we can get anything better. However, for the club culture it may not be the best idea.

Bad guess.

Read the article.

He was cleared because there wasn't the evidence to prosecute him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18367046

frazeHFC
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't want him back.

Andy74
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
New players? New Attitude? New Culture....?

Not if we're resigning the likes of GOC and Soares. :rolleyes:

How does Soares merit a mention here?

Speedy
08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Why's it been dropped?
Hopefully this has all been the kick up the arse he's been needing and he can find a club at which he can finally knuckle down and grow up a bit.

It wasn't Mark Brown prosecuting was it?

:duck:

micka_weer
08-06-2012, 01:39 PM
He needs to lose some of that extra weight that he's been lugging around.
You mean that fat jambo he was seen with after the cup final?

;-)

08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Would definitly take him back if he had the right attitude, the same goes for Griffiths. Great partnership potential there.

:agree:, Its his attitude that really lets him down, he needs to grow up. I think he has lost a lot of respect from many hibs fans though after the whole incident after the cup final when he was away up town partying just hours after the hampden humiliation. It was disrespectful to the fans that he had let down so badly that day (I know it wasn't all his fault) who had given him so much support and given him a chance to restart his career with us.

If he can get his off field problems sorted then I would love him to stay at hibs, but not if he is going to continue embarresing the club and himself by getting in the papers for the wrong reasons.

Aldo
08-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Sorry don't understand this either. A fit Soares would prob walk into most SPL teams. I would take a fit Soares back and hopefully this will happen.

Aldo
08-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Sorry don't understand this either. A fit Soares would prob walk into most SPL teams. I would take a fit Soares back and hopefully this will happen.

Ment to say GOC should not be let near the club because he has tarnished its image with the drugs etc.

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 02:01 PM
:agree:, Its his attitude that really lets him down, he needs to grow up. I think he has lost a lot of respect from many hibs fans though after the whole incident after the cup final when he was away up town partying just hours after the hampden humiliation. It was disrespectful to the fans that he had let down so badly that day (I know it wasn't all his fault) who had given him so much support and given him a chance to restart his career with us.

If he can get his off field problems sorted then I would love him to stay at hibs, but not if he is going to continue embarresing the club and himself by getting in the papers for the wrong reasons.

I dont want him back whether he changes or not....He allowed himself to be so unfit during his last 6 months here, that PF gave him time to allow him to get fit, and it did not looked liked it worked, he looked abysmal when trying to run with ball, his first and second touches were criminal, and his off the field antics were wholly embarrassing..........If Hibs want to bring in a new club culture, then GOC would not fit into that structure.....

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2012, 02:13 PM
I dont want him back whether he changes or not....He allowed himself to be so unfit during his last 6 months here, that PF gave him time to allow him to get fit, and it did not looked liked it worked, he looked abysmal when trying to run with ball, his first and second touches were criminal, and his off the field antics were wholly embarrassing..........If Hibs want to bring in a new club culture, then GOC would not fit into that structure.....

:agree:, now he's a free agent he can finally get his move to parkhead he craved early last season.

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 02:16 PM
:agree:, now he's a free agent he can finally get his move to parkhead he craved early last season.

In what capacity BH? Is he selling totes or programmes?

08-06-2012, 02:53 PM

:agree: That was another massive insult and disrespect to our club and fans, apparently him going around trying to look the big shot by telling people that he was getting a big move to celtic.

Celtic wont want O'Conner now anyway.

weecounty hibby
08-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Bad attitude, bad reputation, bad influence, bad role model, bad lifestyle. Not at my club thanks. Terrific talent going to waste due to the afore mentioned. He is not what we need at Hibernian at this moment in time. Give me someone who works hard and is 100% committed to the team/club who will score 10 goals rather than GOC and his 16 anyday. And yes I am aware that he probably saved us from relegation with those extra 6 but he has done nothing but drag Hibs name through the mud in the last few months and his performance during and after SC final should be the end of him

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2012, 03:28 PM
In what capacity BH? Is he selling totes or programmes?

He will be outside, looking after supporters cars. :wink:

cad
08-06-2012, 03:35 PM
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." you would just be waiting for it to go tits up again ,why take the risk

ScottB
08-06-2012, 03:45 PM
That the case was dropped doesn't change the fact that he is a total moron. After the first couple games he coasted through last season, looked overweight and unfit, I fail to see why we should spend money on him again on the oft chance he decides he fancies bothering to put in a shift for a whole season this time.

The club needs a total change of culture, lazy, unfit idiots like O'Connor, for all his potential and talent, are not what we need. Sick of the club being some sort of rehab centre for washed up ex Hibees. We've tried it, it hasn't worked, never again! I mean, folk saying he needs to grow up, he's closing in on 30 for gods sake! We aren't talking about a daft 20 year old, he's as grown up as he is likely to get, if his repeated brushes with the law haven't taught him anything, and it certainly looks that way, he's never going to learn.

Seveno
08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Excellent news that justice has been served and an innocent man can walk free.

Doon south or abroad please Gazza, yer time's up at Hibs ya bam.

No more to be said.

Hibbyradge
08-06-2012, 04:24 PM
How many goals did he score for us last season?

Will they be easily replaced if/when he goes?

:dunno:

Dinkydoo
08-06-2012, 04:35 PM

Lazy, not giving a ****, loser mentality.....

silverhibee
08-06-2012, 04:36 PM
How many goals did he score for us last season?

Will they be easily replaced if/when he goes?

:dunno:

12 SPL goals.

Dinkydoo
08-06-2012, 04:41 PM

We're talking about changing the culture of our club, but some people want to resign some of the players who were part of that problem.

I'm not saying simply disregard everyone in our team last season, but how are we going to change anything with the same players at the club?

Griffths - has talent, clearly loves the club, always tried his best.

Stevenson - lacking in the skill department, but would run and run until his legs gave way.

McPake - talented and committed, exactly what we need.

GOC - unfit, drug problem, didn't appear to give a **** during or after the final.

Soares - unfit, anonymous most games, chickened out most 50/50 tackles, a non trier.

I fail to see why people think Soares would 'walk into most SPL sides if fully fit'......

Based on what exactly?

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2012, 04:46 PM
We're talking about changing the culture of our club, but some people want to resign some of the players who were part of that problem.

I'm not saying simply disregard everyone in our team last season, but how are we going to change anything with the same players at the club?

Griffths - has talent, clearly loves the club, always tried his best.

Stevenson - lacking in the skill department, but would run and run until his legs gave way.

McPake - talented and committed, exactly what we need.

GOC - unfit, drug problem, didn't appear to give a **** during or after the final.

Soares - unfit, anonymous most games, chickened out most 50/50 tackles, a non trier.

I fail to see why people think Soares would 'walk into most SPL sides if fully fit'......

Based on what exactly?

:agree: I think most are basing it on the fact some clown paid a lot of money, was it £2m a long time ago for him?

He showed a few glimpses of ability during a couple of games, but based on what we saw during his time at Hibs, i cant see how anyone can say if fit he'd walk into any team in the SPL?

Dinkydoo
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
:agree: I think most are basing it on the fact some clown paid a lot of money, was it £2m a long time ago for him?

He showed a few glimpses of ability during a couple of games, but based on what we saw during his time at Hibs, i cant see how anyone can say if fit he'd walk into any team in the SPL?

Yea, think it was around 2 million; but going by English league standards that isn't exactly going to break any banks down south.

He just seems to be another one of these players who has a reputation with the fans for being a good player, but never actually shows more than the odd glimpse here and there. We all saw where the 'odd glimpse' has got us over the past couple of years, a team where Palsson and Osbourne are made to look like quality players.

Osbourne may come good with (dare I say it :wink:) quality around him, but he never really appears to do anything well consistently either.

We need better.

snooky
08-06-2012, 05:15 PM
"O'Connor's fraud case dropped, deer faces perjury charges"

fishybeaver
08-06-2012, 05:17 PM

Wasnt he top scorer last season. His job is to hit the back of the net, personally I don't give a flying what he does the rest of the time, its up to him, but would I re-sign our top striker from last year..........................in a heart beat. How quick we are to turn on "one of our own".

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Wasnt he top scorer last season. His job is to hit the back of the net, personally I don't give a flying what he does the rest of the time, its up to him, but would I re-sign our top striker from last year..........................in a heart beat. How quick we are to turn on "one of our own".

:faf: When was Soares one of our own? As for taking O'Connor back, no thanks, for all the reasons stated in most of the posts above.

Mikeystewart
08-06-2012, 05:24 PM
I feel Garry and Hibs should move on and go their separate ways, there are far to many ifs ands and buts with Garry, fans talk about him being good if he screwed the nut etc but how many times has he let this and previous clubs down, and he is being paid the same wage as potentially two decent first team players.

EDIT: He came with the promises of getting fit and staying focused and if people check the date, he committed the alleged charges against him after signing for us.

Not worth the gamble imho

Sir David Gray
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I'd actually be a bit disappointed if O'Connor signed a new deal with us for next season to be honest.

I know he scored a number of goals for us last season that may have been the difference between us staying up and going down but his overall play was poor for quite some time, he has no pace whatsoever, cannot control the ball and cannot run with it either.

Add all that to the fact that he was pictured enjoying himself in a club, just a few hours after contributing towards the most humiliating footballing experience of my life and I would not want him back at the club.

I'm sure we could get better on our budget.

Good luck to him, I hope he gets himself sorted out and can get himself away from his drugs habit. Something tells me that won't happen anytime soon though, which is a shame.

fishybeaver
08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;3257665]:faf: When was Soares one of our own? As for taking O'Connor back, no thanks, for all the reasons stated in most of the posts above.[/QUOTE

Obviously I ment O'Connor, apologies if you couldnt work that out

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;3257665]:faf: When was Soares one of our own? As for taking O'Connor back, no thanks, for all the reasons stated in most of the posts above.[/QUOTE

Obviously I ment O'Connor, apologies if you couldnt work that out

Obviously when you use the quote function, and quote a post of mine about Soares, i think you will find it was you who couldn't work out what you were saying?

scoopyboy
08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
I feel Garry and Hibs should move on and go their separate ways, there are far to many ifs ands and buts with Garry, fans talk about him being good if he screwed the nut etc but how many times has he let this and previous clubs down, and he is being paid the same wage as potentially two decent first team players.

EDIT: He came with the promises of getting fit and staying focused and if people check the date, he committed the alleged charges against him after signing for us.

Not worth the gamble imho

He committed the alleged charges before signing for us.

Kato
08-06-2012, 06:07 PM
How quick we are to turn on "one of our own".

....and vice versa...

silverhibee
08-06-2012, 06:30 PM

What are your thoughts on GOC resigning for Hibs if the club were to offer him a new deal.

Mikeystewart
08-06-2012, 06:38 PM

I stand corrected just double checked and there where only 4 weeks between the indecent with the cocaine and signing, still too close for my liking though.

Eyrie
08-06-2012, 07:07 PM
After the final I said that O'Connor was one of the few I'd keep for next season. I've changed my mind since and agree with those who say he can't return if we are serious about installing a professional culture in the dressing room.

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 07:35 PM

"one of our own", I don't buy this.......The sight of him laughing and joking with Ian Murray at Hampden after that fiasco was pitiful.....How two players could find anything remotely funny after that is beyond me.....All the supporter's were devastated, many in tears, so don't come out with one of our own pish.......

dp00
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
"one of our own", I don't buy this.......The sight of him laughing and joking with Ian Murray at Hampden after that fiasco was pitiful.....How two players could find anything remotely funny after that is beyond me.....All the supporter's were devastated, many in tears, so don't come out with one of our own pish.......

In fairness Murray was not part of that disaster at hampden... and he was very quick to condem players going up town after the game on his twitter

The_Exile
08-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Don't want him in a Hibs shirt next year, we'd have been truly screwed if it wasn't for his early form last year, and he's one of our own and all that, but doubt the baggage will ever be a thing of the past with him.

Also, he's in all too familiar and comfortable surroundings here, he'd do well to get a club outside of Scotland and keep his head down, work hard, make some new and more sensible pals :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Don't want him in a Hibs shirt next year, we'd have been truly screwed if it wasn't for his early form last year, and he's one of our own and all that, but doubt the baggage will ever be a thing of the past with him.

Also, he's in all too familiar and comfortable surroundings here, he'd do well to get a club outside of Scotland and keep his head down, work hard, make some new and more sensible pals :greengrin

Can you send me a copy of your next fairytale novel:greengrin

scoopyboy
09-06-2012, 06:33 PM
What are your thoughts on GOC resigning for Hibs if the club were to offer him a new deal.

Just noticed your post Silv, sorry for the delay in replying.

Tough one but I think we should offer him a deal but with the same strict conditions as last season with options to terminate if he breaches them.

I'm not so sure he is going to be innundated with offers so on this one Hibs could afford to play the waiting game. It might be at the end of the day he would jump at the chance to sign for Hibs.

Like others I hope and expect that Hibs will have their squad virtually complete before they return for pre season training but they could see what happens with GOC as far as I'm concerned.

scoopyboy
09-06-2012, 06:36 PM
I stand corrected just double checked and there where only 4 weeks between the indecent with the cocaine and signing, still too close for my liking though.

Wasn't meaning to come across as confrontational but both the cocaine and car incidents were both before we signed him.

There were strict conditions on his contract and as far as I'm aware he abided by them.

theonlywayisup
09-06-2012, 07:02 PM
A fit GOC would be a fantastic asset for Hibs, better than we could hope for. A half-fit GOC would be a frustrating player, but would score against the lesser teams. IMO, it is up to GOC - what do you want next for your roller coaster life!

I remember the game against Aberdeen at home during Williamson's time, when his behind was huge. We were one down and both he and McManus went off injured. I recall shouting, "don't hurry back". In their place came on Deek and Brown and the difference in movement was like night and day. We went from 1-0 down to winning two-one...or was it three-one?

The following season, GOC continued to frustrate, with us recahing the League Cup Final, before Williamson resigned. I was then disappointed when GOC then stated in the press that new manager Mowbray had said that GOC had the potential to be a top class striker. However, GOC became a changed man, looking a lot slimmer and looking a lot faster. He really began to look like a top-class striker.

However, he left Mowbray and Hibs and has been on a downward spiral since then. He needs to get off that spiral, get off the silly stuff and get his behind into action. Over to you GOC.

chrisski33
09-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Oconnoer wont resign and was he not touting himself for a move to the usa?

Golden Bear
09-06-2012, 07:33 PM
A fit GOC would be a fantastic asset for Hibs, better than we could hope for. A half-fit GOC would be a frustrating player, but would score against the lesser teams. IMO, it is up to GOC - what do you want next for your roller coaster life!

I remember the game against Aberdeen at home during Williamson's time, when his behind was huge. We were one down and both he and McManus went off injured. I recall shouting, "don't hurry back". In their place came on Deek and Brown and the difference in movement was like night and day. We went from 1-0 down to winning two-one...or was it three-one?

The following season, GOC continued to frustrate, with us recahing the League Cup Final, before Williamson resigned. I was then disappointed when GOC then stated in the press that new manager Mowbray had said that GOC had the potential to be a top class striker. However, GOC became a changed man, looking a lot slimmer and looking a lot faster. He really began to look like a top-class striker.

However, he left Mowbray and Hibs and has been on a downward spiral since then. He needs to get off that spiral, get off the silly stuff and get his behind into action. Over to you GOC.

Utter tosh.

The guy has been an embarrassment and has shown total contempt both to the Management and to to us supporters. We're well rid.

:bye:

Nuitdelune
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Utter tosh.

The guy has been an embarrassment and has shown total contempt both to the Management and to to us supporters. We're well rid.

Beggars can't be choosers
:greengrin

theonlywayisup
09-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Utter tosh.

Why was what I said was "utter tosh"?

I'm not making any view on whether GOC should stay or not. I am saying a fit GOC is better than we could hope for. An unfit GOC not.

The history lesson is fact!

ScottB
09-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Unless you view his statement saying he was going to get fit and stay focused while back at Hibs as a fraudulent statement in itself :wink:

scoopyboy
09-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Oconnoer wont resign and was he not touting himself for a move to the usa?

He won't be allowed to work in the USA with the cocaine conviction.

marinello59
09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
He won't be allowed to work in the USA with the cocaine conviction.

So he can't play in the USA? How about South Morocco?

Golden Bear
09-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Why was what I said was "utter tosh"?

I'm not making any view on whether GOC should stay or not. I am saying a fit GOC is better than we could hope for. An unfit GOC not.

The history lesson is fact!

Perhaps the fact that as an supposed "athlete" he had an obligation to maintain a certain degree of fitness and professionalism which was all too evident by its absence?

FACT!

scoopyboy
09-06-2012, 07:48 PM
So he can't play in the USA? How about South Morocco?

Don't know about South Morocco but for the purposes of the song how bout;

Oh he's played in the south of Moscow, can't play in the USA..........................

howzat:greengrin

theonlywayisup
09-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Perhaps the fact that as an supposed "athlete" he had an obligation to maintain a certain degree of fitness and professionalism which was all too evident by its absence?

FACT!

So, if he doesn't maintain that certain degree of fitness and professionalism, I say bye bye.

But, if he turns himself around, let's support him.

Over to GOC, I say.

I don't see why what I said was "utter tosh".

Golden Bear
09-06-2012, 07:54 PM
So, if he doesn't maintain that certain degree of fitness and professionalism, I say bye bye.

But, if he turns himself around, let's support him.

Over to GOC, I say.

I don't see why what I said was "utter tosh".

Because it will simply not happen. Hibs gave him a chance to redeem himself from previous indiscretions and he turned round and kicked us firmly in the teeth.

Good riddance to bad rubbish - we can do better.

scoopyboy
09-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Because it will simply not happen. Hibs gave him a chance to redeem himself from previous indiscretions and he turned round and kicked us firmly in the teeth. Good riddance to bad rubbish - we can do better.

I'm not arguing with your rationale but can you explain the highlighted bit to me, I don't genuinely know what you mean.

Golden Bear
09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm not arguing with your rationale but can you explain the highlighted bit to me, I don't genuinely know what you mean.

How about vastly overweight, couldn't care less attitude and lack of apparent regret into the cup final result?

scoopyboy
09-06-2012, 08:15 PM
How about vastly overweight, couldn't care less attitude and lack of apparent regret into the cup final result?

Vastly overweight - agreed he was but wasn't until his injury. When he can't play or train his weight will always go up.

Couldn't care less attitude I'm undecided on, he wanted Hibs to do well and in games where we got results he was as excited as the rest of us.

Cup Final I have mixed views on. Yes he could have acted differently but it was the last time they would be together as a squad and a night out was arranged prior to the event to say cheerio.

The same could be said of supporters after the final, some chose to stay out and have a drink whilst others like myself went straight home so as to be left alone.

Golden Bear
09-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Vastly overweight - agreed he was but wasn't until his injury. When he can't play or train his weight will always go up.

Couldn't care less attitude I'm undecided on, he wanted Hibs to do well and in games where we got results he was as excited as the rest of us.

Cup Final I have mixed views on. Yes he could have acted differently but it was the last time they would be together as a squad and a night out was arranged prior to the event to say cheerio.

The same could be said of supporters after the final, some chose to stay out and have a drink whilst others like myself went straight home so as to be left alone.

Sorry but I disagree entirely on that one. Fitness is as much about diet as physical activity and it's a lesson Garry O should have learned long before now.

VickMackie
09-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Bad guess.

Read the article.

He was cleared because there wasn't the evidence to prosecute him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18367046

I did read it. It's one of two things IMO.

1. There was no proof he didn't crash it on the day in question.
2. He cancelled the claim so he was no longer trying to defraud.

CRAZYHIBBY
09-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Aberdeen and motherwell apparently interested in signing him according to my mate kev

scoopyboy
09-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Sorry but I disagree entirely on that one. Fitness is as much about diet as physical activity and it's a lesson Garry O should have learned long before now.

If we were in a boxing bout you have me well beat on points.

You are correct regarding diet and physical activity but I doubt his diet changed throughout the season, ie physical activity cancelling out poor diet prior to injury but not after hence weight gain.

Hibercelona
09-06-2012, 10:31 PM
No, I never want to see him back here.

We need to put people of O'Connors attitude behind us if we seriously want to move forward as a club.

Aye, he had a good goal record when he first came back, but then he became self centred and slipped away on the pitch. We don't need that, I don't want to see it again.

Lets sign players that'll play until the end of the season, not when they simply feel like it.

Dashing Bob S
09-06-2012, 11:23 PM

Alas, this is a bit like the dodo or the unicorn, a semi mythical creature that certainly existed at one time, and still has the odd rumoured sighting, but...

I loved GOC, Deek, and yes, even Treatment Table Thomson. But I believe that the answers to our problems do not lie in the past, young Skywalker. I think we need to sever all connections with sentiment and take a really hard pop at the Gorgie death star with a band of new, rugged recruits, unwedded to our recent troubled history, and who feel they have nothing to lose. Who will join me in this battle?!

silverhibee
09-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Just noticed your post Silv, sorry for the delay in replying.

Tough one but I think we should offer him a deal but with the same strict conditions as last season with options to terminate if he breaches them.

I'm not so sure he is going to be innundated with offers so on this one Hibs could afford to play the waiting game. It might be at the end of the day he would jump at the chance to sign for Hibs.

Like others I hope and expect that Hibs will have their squad virtually complete before they return for pre season training but they could see what happens with GOC as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with that SB, he will need to start over again and prove himself once more to show people that he has learned his lesson, will Hibs be willing to take that chance again, i don't think they will. :aok:

SkintHibby
10-06-2012, 07:30 AM

Best post on this thread by a country mile!:top marks

Bye Garry!!!:agree:

Hibernia Na Eir
10-06-2012, 03:58 PM
I'd take Garry in a sniff

;)