PDA

View Full Version : NHC UK government to boycott Euro 2012 games in Ukraine

iwasthere1972
07-06-2012, 03:44 PM
For political reasons. Can anyone throw some light on this.?

Doesn't say whether they will boycott the final. :confused:

Sir David Gray
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Because Ukraine's main opposition leader has been jailed in very dubious circumstances.

QMU-1875
07-06-2012, 03:51 PM
The former prime minister of Ukraine, Yulia Tymoshenko, was imprisoned for signing gas contracts with Russia, something which is apparently against the law despite her being the prime minister of the country at the time. The general consensus is that the president of Ukraine, Viktor Yanukovich, had her jailed as she was too powerful an opposition especially after the previous elections between the two were so close and it was looking as if Tymoshenko was going to win the next presidential elections, something she cant do as she is in prison. Its also believed that she is being abused in prison.

The Uk government and the EU are sending a message to the Ukranian president by boycotting to show that they dont agree with this selective justice and intimidation of the only real opposition to his authority.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15249184

Bristolhibby
07-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Just as well UEFA gave the Euros to them.

J

QMU-1875
07-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Just as well UEFA gave the Euros to them.

J
Viktor Yushchenko was president at the time, Ukraine was looking to become more integrated with Europe and democracy but since Yanukovich has come into power the exact opposite has happened. They were given it back then to try and promote the image of becoming a more "european country".

easty
07-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Rio Ferdinand has friends in high places maybe.

Andy74
07-06-2012, 04:10 PM
The former prime minister of Ukraine, Yulia Tymoshenko, was imprisoned for signing gas contracts with Russia, something which is apparently against the law despite her being the prime minister of the country at the time. The general consensus is that the president of Ukraine, Viktor Yanukovich, had her jailed as she was too powerful an opposition especially after the previous elections between the two were so close and it was looking as if Tymoshenko was going to win the next presidential elections, something she cant do as she is in prison. Its also believed that she is being abused in prison.

The Uk government and the EU are sending a message to the Ukranian president by boycotting to show that they dont agree with this selective justice and intimidation of the only real opposition to his authority.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15249184

Meanwhile the UK has a Head of State that's been here for 60 years despite no-one voting for them and a Government we didn't vote for either. :wink:

iwasthere1972
07-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Because Ukraine's main opposition leader has been jailed in very dubious circumstances.

Thanks I now understand why.

Wonder what reason David Cameron will come up with if the government have to do a u-turn when England reach the final.

Golden Bear
07-06-2012, 04:17 PM

Tokenism at its very best.

I suspect that in practice the gesture will make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

allezsauzee
07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks I now understand why.

Wonder what reason David Cameron will come up with if the government have to do a u-turn when England reach the final.

I don't think this is a dilemma Cameron will face somehow. England are pump and will be lucky to get out the group

clerriehibs
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
I don't think this is a dilemma Cameron will face somehow. England are pump and will be lucky to get out the group

If engerland get past the group stages, the hypocritical, empty gesture tories will be there in force.

And what's so bad about ukranian law when uk law bangs no previous whatsoever people up for nothing more than clumsy joke facebook posts.

Phil D. Rolls
07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
So apart from the racism, and abuse of human rights - what will the Euros do for us?

JustSimplyHibs
07-06-2012, 09:11 PM
If engerland get past the group stages, the hypocritical, empty gesture tories will be there in force.

And what's so bad about ukranian law when uk law bangs no previous whatsoever people up for nothing more than clumsy joke facebook posts.

Always thought this law just applies to Scotland ,:dunno:as it was Jambo Salmond sitting high on his 'we can survive' independance cloud aided by Strathclyde police that forced this law through without any proper discussions...

clerriehibs
07-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Always thought this law just applies to Scotland ,:dunno:as it was Jambo Salmond sitting high on his 'we can survive' independance cloud aided by Strathclyde police that forced this law through without any proper discussions...

It's happening north and south of the border, hang 'em high government toeing the red tops party line. So not just salmond, no - rank rotten uk 'justice'.

heretoday
07-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Aren't we lucky to have such moral-minded leaders in our country?

Sylar
07-06-2012, 09:17 PM
It'll have absolutely no impact whatsoever, other reducing attendances at games.

Do they really think it'll resonate on a political level?

A token gesture indeed and something to draw attention away from the incredibly poor England squad going into the competition.

JustSimplyHibs
07-06-2012, 10:19 PM
It's happening north and south of the border, hang 'em high government toeing the red tops party line. So not just salmond, no - rank rotten uk 'justice'.

never knew it was getting implemented down there as well, :thumbsup: what ever next? charged for farting in a que

givescotlandfreedom
07-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I've slagged off Levein here in the past but at least he's got us doing the right thing here in boycotting this tournament by making sure we didn't qualify :agree:

HKhibby
07-06-2012, 11:06 PM

And the SNP or Labour arent hypocrytical?...or empty gestured??...think again, i personally hope they do get passed the group stage, as i am British and like to see any of the British teams beat anyone in Europe!.Think you'll find, i may be wrong, but im probably right, that it is not UK Law...but EU Law or Human Rights laws....which one of your favourite guys Mr Blair signed up to!...he was Labour!
If it is indeed Human Rights laws...think you'll find the present U.K. PM is anti this.

steakbake
07-06-2012, 11:41 PM
The European court of human rights has nothing to do with the EU. Indeed, one of the major contributors to it being set up and the European Convention of Human Rights that Cameron cannot stand, was none other than Winston Churchill (Tory). But let's not allow that to get in the way of an unreasoned rant about the EU.

3pm
08-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I can't believe UEFA sanctioned them to host a major tournament.

Just been on SSN - what a shambles.

VickMackie
08-06-2012, 11:08 AM
What was said/shown?

clerriehibs
08-06-2012, 11:10 AM
And the SNP or Labour arent hypocrytical?...or empty gestured??...think again, i personally hope they do get passed the group stage, as i am British and like to see any of the British teams beat anyone in Europe!.Think you'll find, i may be wrong, but im probably right, that it is not UK Law...but EU Law or Human Rights laws....which one of your favourite guys Mr Blair signed up to!...he was Labour!
If it is indeed Human Rights laws...think you'll find the present U.K. PM is anti this.

WTF is this all about???

iwasthere1972
08-06-2012, 11:35 AM
What was said/shown?

Think it was mainly about the camping arrangements which will cater for up to 4,000 supporters. It should have been ready for today but I think the people responsible are using the same company as we are for the trams. The England supporter who is driving the camper van has 18 tickets for various matches depending on how well England get on. If I was him I would be trying to sell 15 of them.

I will post a link shortly.

Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT8ymRsR0cY

VickMackie
08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks, will take a look later. At work just now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I've been there twice for the footy, loved it, but, wasn't camping out!

Frazerbob
08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
I've been there twice for the footy, loved it, but, wasn't camping out!

You just loved the River Palace! :wink:

cad
08-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Thought the guy would have looked at the amenities showers loos etc the beer tents up the money spinner ,sites no ready debris everywhere.recipe for disaster .

3pm
08-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't think it's just the camp site. There are other things as well such as incomplete roads!

heretoday
08-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Ukraine is a bit of a hole I'm told though Kiev is an exciting city. I've no intention of verifying either claim.

cad
08-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Good luck to the guy hes going to need it.

http://www.adorableland.com/the-donetsk-camping-park-euro-2012-football-fans-will-be-accommodated-with-chic-and-in-the-open-field/

frazeHFC
08-06-2012, 04:39 PM

http://www.adorableland.com/the-donetsk-camping-park-euro-2012-football-fans-will-be-accommodated-with-chic-and-in-the-open-field/

State of the art facilities i see! :eek:

iwasthere1972
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM

The Golden Slagheap. Nice.

DH1875
08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
At least the woman are hot :thumbsup:.

TheSouthMoroccan
08-06-2012, 08:17 PM
I`m with Abergreen, we had a great night in the River Palace. If Calsberg did nightcubs...:greengrin

Gatecrasher
08-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Think it was mainly about the camping arrangements which will cater for up to 4,000 supporters. It should have been ready for today but I think the people responsible are using the same company as we are for the trams. The England supporter who is driving the camper van has 18 tickets for various matches depending on how well England get on. If I was him I would be trying to sell 15 of them.

I will post a link shortly.

Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT8ymRsR0cY

What a shame for the fans going to half built hell holes like that. Yet we or England cant get a tourney :confused:

jgl07
08-06-2012, 08:34 PM
There is plenty of accommodation in the Chernobyl exclusion zone! Anyone there will have to watch out for the radioactive wolves.

pedroorange1875
08-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Totally agree with some on here, Dnipro trip was amazing. Kiev is a beautiful city and i did not think conditions were bad at all

Frazerbob
09-06-2012, 12:24 PM
I`m with Abergreen, we had a great night in the River Palace. If Calsberg did nightcubs...:greengrin

"Nightclub" :tee hee:

ScottB
09-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Totally agree with some on here, Dnipro trip was amazing. Kiev is a beautiful city and i did not think conditions were bad at all

I think it's the countries ability or suitably to be hosting such a scale of event that's being questioned, rather than how nice it is for a one off visit.

Given the racism in both countries, Ukraine's political problems and issues such as this camping one, it's madness that UEFA deemed our own joint bid with the Irish to be unacceptable.

steakbake
09-06-2012, 01:16 PM
I think it's the countries ability or suitably to be hosting such a scale of event that's being questioned, rather than how nice it is for a one off visit.

Given the racism in both countries, Ukraine's political problems and issues such as this camping one, it's madness that UEFA deemed our own joint bid with the Irish to be unacceptable.

Is that what really happened?