PDA

View Full Version : Question Club Colour Change

Sergio sledge
06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I see Cardiff City are pressing ahead with plans to change the club colours and badge. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18324804)

It seems that fan opposition to the move cooled after the scale of the investment was made known to them. The owners are going to invest £100m in the club in expanding the stadium, building training facilities and clearing debt.

The question is, would you consider a club colour change and if so, what sort of level of investment would it take to convince you?

For the record, I think the clubs colours and history are what makes a club great and changing the colours for money is IMHO a step too far, I could accept a stadium sponsorship, or a badge alteration, but the green and white is part of us and art of our history, so it wouldn't sit well with me.

JohnStephens91
06-06-2012, 09:18 AM
As much as I'd like £100m we can't trade everything about our history in for riches. Clubs in the English leagues seem all too happy to disregard their fans and the history of the club for money (Cardiff colour change, Chelsea move from Stamford Bridge saga etc) and it is not what it is about. If someone offered me £100m to change Hibs from green and white to red to break the Asian market I'd tell them to **** off.

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
It's an interesting one. I think most of us have the automatic reaction against it but then again we changed from all green to the white sleeves roughly half way through our history and have had a fair few badges. Lots of clubs have had historical colour changes, even some fairly recent ones:

Dundee Hibernian founded 1909, played in green, became Dundee United in 1923, playing in white and finally changed to tangerine in 1967. Doesn't seem to have done them any harm?

Hibbyradge
06-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I've supported Hibs playing in Green, black, purple, yellow, fluorescent lemon and any combination of the above.

It wouldn't bother me if we changed colour, but I'm certain I'll be in the miinority.

There's nowt as conservative as a football fan.

On a side note, I've always fancied a dark blue top with green sleeves.

green&left
06-06-2012, 09:46 AM
I see Cardiff City are pressing ahead with plans to change the club colours and badge. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18324804)

It seems that fan opposition to the move cooled after the scale of the investment was made known to them. The owners are going to invest £100m in the club in expanding the stadium, building training facilities and clearing debt.

The question is, would you consider a club colour change and if so, what sort of level of investment would it take to convince you?

For the record, I think the clubs colours and history are what makes a club great and changing the colours for money is IMHO a step too far, I could accept a stadium sponsorship, or a badge alteration, but the green and white is part of us and art of our history, so it wouldn't sit well with me.

I'd never set foot inside the place again. Be just aswell changing team if trophies and success is your thing as everything the club has stood for and stands for is vanished.

disgraceful folk would actually consider erasing 100+ years of history to play in the most over rated league in history. Against modern football eh...

Your hardcore would form a new club leaving just the clueless dafties, exactly what happend to that Red Bull mob in Austria.

blackpoolhibs
06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
I voted yes, like the radge i have watched hibs in many different colours, and to be fair i'm pretty fed up with green and white anyway.

As long as it looked decent with a pair of jeans, i'm not too fussed what colour we have.

Steve20
06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
I'd never set foot inside the place again. Be just aswell changing team if trophies and success is your thing as everything the club has stood for and stands for is vanished.

disgraceful folk would actually consider erasing 100+ years of history to play in the most over rated league in history. Against modern football eh...

Your hardcore would form a new club leaving just the clueless dafties, exactly what happend to that Red Bull mob in Austria.

How exactly is their history being erased? Just by changing colours?

Colr
06-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Is the money a loan?

Bobby's Cinema
06-06-2012, 10:01 AM
NO chance. Can you imagine Man Utd in red or Newcastle without the stripes.

right so you've sold the stadium, the stadium name, the badge, the colours what now.

They'll be changing the name next.

Football fan is number1 right enough

Pretty Boy
06-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm curious as to the commercial opportunities that will be opened by changing to red. I know the Asian market was mentioned but I'd imagine it will take a hell of a lot more than a.switch to red strips to get folk in Asia throwing away the Man Utd, Arsenal, Real Madrid etc strips and reaching for the Cardiff ones.

For me I'd be happy to see Hibs explore most commercial opportunities, stadium sponsor, extra sponsors on strips, renaming stands etc but the strip should stay green.

iwasthere1972
06-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I voted no. It's immaterial anyway as nobody with a sound mind would even invest a couple of million quid in Hibs or Scottish football right now.

That new proposed badge for Cardiff looks daft.

NAE NOOKIE
06-06-2012, 10:16 AM
I voted no.

Apart from anything else the football world is awash with red and blue clubs. Its nice to support a club which doesnt wear the same colours as 80% of the rest.

For the fashionistas out there, green looks good with jeans anyway .. why change.

£100,000,000 would be nice though :greengrin

green&left
06-06-2012, 10:17 AM
How exactly is their history being erased? Just by changing colours?

They're changing their colours of 100 years and changing the main aspect of their crest for nothing more than commercial reasons. Any Cardiff fan that doesn't oppose this is a sellout c***.

Chuck Rhoades
06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Disgrace and Cardiff City fans should be doing everything they can to stop this.

Modern football as its best.

FMF.

DaveF
06-06-2012, 10:59 AM
No, No, No.

Besides, I'd have to get my tattoo re coloured :greengrin

scoopyboy
06-06-2012, 11:27 AM

right so you've sold the stadium, the stadium name, the badge, the colours what now.

Yes, I can quite clearly.

scoopyboy
06-06-2012, 11:29 AM
I voted yes for £100 million.

I would spend the money rapid and then change back to green and white.

Simples eh. :greengrin

Gatecrasher
06-06-2012, 11:31 AM
its one thing to have an away kit in different colours but to change the home kits colours is a total mockery of the history and tradition of the club. Cardiff should be ashamed for selling their soul for a few bucks.

Geo_1875
06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Surely be changing their nickname as well? Though I notice they'll still have the bluebird in the badge you've got to wonder why as it was only included as they played in blue (the bluebird not being native to the British Isles).

LancsHibs
06-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Can anybody explain why Cardiff think that changing their colours from blue to red will make them more successful:confused::confused: I can see how a £100m investment might make them more successful, but changing colours????? It just seems like a pointless argument. I assume they want to break into the English Premier League with this investment, if so have they not noticed that Manchester City and Chelsea play in blue and are the two most successful teams last season. Welsh bams!

Gatecrasher
06-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Can anybody explain why Cardiff think that changing their colours from blue to red will make them more successful:confused::confused: I can see how a £100m investment might make them more successful, but changing colours????? It just seems like a pointless argument. I assume they want to break into the English Premier League with this investment, if so have they not noticed that Manchester City and Chelsea play in blue and are the two most successful teams last season. Welsh bams!

Is it not to do with the colour their sponsor uses?

Andy74
06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
So long as the strip had three stripes on it or a wee shooshy thing, would anyone care? :wink:

IWasThere2016
06-06-2012, 12:19 PM
We'd never see the like of cash again so .. it has to be a yes for me.

LancsHibs
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Oh I see it's a case of change your colours to our corporate colour or no cash!! Like Red Bull do when they take over a club! Sell outs!!!!!

Baldy Foghorn
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Green and white are the only colours I have ever known for home strips....Would be appalled if we changed colours, 2nd and 3rd kits dont bother me but home strips must be green and white, anything else is sacriledge

LancsHibs
06-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Green and white are the only colours I have ever known for home strips....Would be appalled if we changed colours, 2nd and 3rd kits dont bother me but home strips must be green and white, anything else is sacriledge

Agree Hibs are green & white, would not be opposed to changing the green body with white sleeve design but as long as the home colours are green & white it would be ok with me. Second strips I don't care what colour

Monts
06-06-2012, 12:29 PM
What if they released the hibs home kit as normal, but never wore it? They release the new colours as the away kit, but only ever wear that, or a 3rd kit with a variation of the new colours? Would that be more acceptable?

It would mean the club colours are still officially the same, but commercially the new colours get all the exposure.

Baldy Foghorn
06-06-2012, 12:37 PM
What if they released the hibs home kit as normal, but never wore it? They release the new colours as the away kit, but only ever wear that, or a 3rd kit with a variation of the new colours? Would that be more acceptable?

It would mean the club colours are still officially the same, but commercially the new colours get all the exposure.

Still a no from me Bernz, hibs at home should always wear the green and white

Hibercelona
06-06-2012, 01:34 PM
We're "Hibernian FC" and we play in "green and white".

muzzhfc
06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
no.

LancashireHibby
06-06-2012, 02:16 PM
One thing that has to be considered is that red is considered a very 'Welsh' colour and of course their fans fly the Red Dragon etc. That said, I wouldn't exactly be keen on Hibs switching to navy blue but everything has it's price (especially the figures Cardiff are talking about), and as pointed out we haven't always had white sleeves, got rid of the hoops etc etc. On that basis, I suppose I'd be a yes but only on the right terms.

Shaggy
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
the only colour strip change I could take would be to our dark green away strip of a few year ago...
but would need the 100m for even that.

Littlest Hobo
06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
No way, they can stick their money.

jgl07
06-06-2012, 03:39 PM
No.

However Leeds United changed from blue and gold to all-white under Don Revie and this was accepted by the support.

DH1875
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
WTF :confused:. I thought you guts were at the wined up about changing the colours. No chance. Our home top should always be green and white. Mess about with away kits or 3rd kits all you want, but the home :faint:.

R'Albin
06-06-2012, 05:03 PM

:hilarious

frazeHFC
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM

:hilarious

I said i'd consider it cos us cunning fans would be able to find a way of getting the money and still wearing green. We are the Hibees, we do what we want!

VickMackie
06-06-2012, 06:09 PM
I voted no but for 100 million we could buy the league and build a huge fan base. See Chelsea and City and soon to be PSG (maybe).

However, new FFP rules will mean europes elite cannot be toppled by this type of investment.

jamieross
06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
The money would be nice but i voted no. It just wouldnt be right. I feel sorry for their fans tbh, lied to by the owners, http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cardiff-kit-will-stay-blue-not-827522

HibeeSince85
06-06-2012, 06:24 PM
No for me, could not be more against that idea.

Hibs play in Green n White!

Irish_Steve
06-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I`d change colours if it meant £100m - would choose white and green.

Bill Shankly changed Liverpools colours to all red and it didnt do them any harm!

Albion Hibs
06-06-2012, 07:59 PM

Man U had both a name and colour change in their history, I am sure this season they would play in pink if it did not mean losing the season on the final day to city.

I would not have a problem, I would not choose to change for no reason, but I would not choose to lose the final to them, and finish 2nd bottom of the league. If we could be a sustainable club, with a full stadium and a great standard of player, winning cups and leagues then yes I would change.

Bobby's Cinema
06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
:bitchy: out of order :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes makes no difference to me what colour Hibs play in, all white would be my preference. Blood shows on an all white shirt!

Big Frank
06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
The worlds original greens changing their colours :confused:

Utter nonsense.

Just Alf
06-06-2012, 09:06 PM

I read that it was because, in Asia, red is seen as a lucky and successful colour

Like others though not for me a change, its green and white for ever!!! ..... Can do what they like with the away strips. Hell, I still had the purple "Mcbean" one until recently :-)

joe breezy
06-06-2012, 09:49 PM
My Cardiff mates are all against it

I think the new crest looks like its been designed by an O level student, it's pretty poor to say the least and the bluebird is just dropped in at the bottom as an afterthought

The strips are so so

There's still a blue away strip I suppose

leithsansiro
06-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Call me cynical, but isn't the colour just being changed to match that more preferential in Malaysia? But honestly, how many Malaysians are really going to want a Cardiff shirt over that of Man U or Chelsea?

As a wee aside, red is traditionally the colour of the most successful teams. Apparently, it gives teams a psychological edge as it represents anger and aggression. Studies have shown that players (of varying abilities) win more 50/50 balls than those in any other colour.

lucky
06-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I voted yes. The colour of the strip is not as important as wining. With that level of investment we could easily win the league and even qualify for the group stages of the CL. We all talk about the lack of winning mentality by the players but it appears most of us would prefer a green and white strip to winning the league. Are we really a club that puts history before success?

Ultrabee1-0
07-06-2012, 12:58 AM
i voted the helly pad on the west:greengrin
but nah would i **** let this happen to my us! i really hope cardiff still don't get promotion!!!

Septimus
07-06-2012, 06:00 AM
It's an interesting one. I think most of us have the automatic reaction against it but then again we changed from all green to the white sleeves roughly half way through our history and have had a fair few badges. Lots of clubs have had historical colour changes, even some fairly recent ones:

Dundee Hibernian founded 1909, played in green, became Dundee United in 1923, playing in white and finally changed to tangerine in 1967. Doesn't seem to have done them any harm?

Dundee United played in black and white as I recall

Bishop Hibee
07-06-2012, 08:14 AM

Utter nonsense.

Agree 100%. First football club IN THE WORLD to wear the green and some on here would throw that away. "The colours GREEN and white" "if you know your history". Why not go the full hog, merge with Hearts and create Edinburgh FC which would attract more sponsorship and probably bigger crowds in the long term and win more trophies?

History and tradition before greed :agree:

green&left
07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Man U had both a name and colour change in their history, I am sure this season they would play in pink if it did not mean losing the season on the final day to city.

I would not have a problem, I would not choose to change for no reason, but I would not choose to lose the final to them, and finish 2nd bottom of the league. If we could be a sustainable club, with a full stadium and a great standard of player, winning cups and leagues then yes I would change.

Again, if your sole reason for supporting a footbeall team is to win trophies and cups, i'm sure there's a few spare seats in the Jock Stien or Copland Road stands.

Trophies, premier league, success isn't the be all and end all. Ask the fans of Rangers and Portsmouth.

jacomo
07-06-2012, 10:30 PM

Utter nonsense.

:agree:

Other clubs can do what they want. Hibs should never change colours.

This will end in tears for Cardiff. The new owners have been blinded by Premiership gold - their plans will never come off.

Saorsa
07-06-2012, 10:36 PM
No for me, home strip is green and white. I couldnae care less if the away strip is sky blue pink with a yellae border but the home strip stays green and white.

gillythehibby
07-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I see we have some poor souls on this thread that would sell their souls for a short term investment. get a grip Makes me wonder if they really know what Hibernian means to most of us. Hibs play in green and white. End of. Change the colour for some half ersed foreigner? GTF !!!!

gillythehibby
07-06-2012, 11:52 PM
I see we have some poor souls on this thread that would sell their souls for a short term investment. get a grip Makes me wonder if they really know what Hibernian means to most of us. Hibs play in green and white. End of. Change the colour for some half ersed foreigner? GTF !!!!

Oh and BTW if it was up tae me, we wouldny even have a sponsor's name spoiling the jersey. (even though it wiz us that started it)

Nakedmanoncrack
08-06-2012, 12:36 AM
They're changing their colours of 100 years and changing the main aspect of their crest for nothing more than commercial reasons. Any Cardiff fan that doesn't oppose this is a sellout c***.

:agree:

Hibernia&Alba
08-06-2012, 12:40 AM
One hundred per cent no. Some things are sacred and would make me walk away. Hibs are green. Cardiff can do as they please, but not Hibs for me. I'd rather win nothing in green than win something in red/blue/white etc.

Nando™
08-06-2012, 01:29 AM
I wouldn't even take the 100 million as a loan while keeping the colours the same.

We would become another money-club like Man City, Chelsea, Hearts and Gretna. Another *****, also-ran diddy club that will be given this hollow, empty "success" by some prat with a wee bit of money. Glad to see that the powers have finally seen that this is cheating and changing the rules accordingly.

If Hibs became one of them then I would only be back for games against teams that have been cheating like this.

**** money.

Greentinted
08-06-2012, 05:54 PM
This is a wind-up right? :greengrin

son of haggart
08-06-2012, 06:00 PM
First to play in the pink

:wink:

(note: i realise this isn't true as I occasionally pop along to see Corinthian Casuals - who taught the Brazilians all they know:wink: and they play in a remarkable chocolate and pink contraption)

ALF TUPPER
08-06-2012, 06:10 PM
No thanks.

" The finest colours in the land"

Says it all for me. :)

--------
10-06-2012, 03:55 PM
If someone came along willing to buy out Farmer and Petrie and make a decent investment in the TEAM ON THE PITCH, it wouldn't bother me what colours the team played in.

The way the Chuckle Brothers are going, all Hibs will have will be a history.

No club, no team, no present, no future, just a history.