PDA

View Full Version : Bangolm Victoria

CropleyWasGod
04-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Does anyone have anything on Bangholm Victoria football club? Maybe you played for them? I am trying to write a potted history.

The club was started in the late 40's by my granda. Initially, it was to give a game of football to guys who were at Trinity, which didn't have a football team at the time. My Dad and my uncle were in the early teams, as was Toto McNaughton, who became a well-known jazz drummer.

It was pretty successful in the early years, in juvenile terms. However, I am not sure what happened when my granda left them. I remember them playing in the amateur leagues 20-odd years ago, but have very little other information.

If anybody out there can help, I would be very grateful.

WindyMiller
04-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Does anyone have anything on Bangholm Victoria football club? Maybe you played for them? I am trying to write a potted history.

The club was started in the late 40's by my granda. Initially, it was to give a game of football to guys who were at Trinity, which didn't have a football team at the time. My Dad and my uncle were in the early teams, as was Toto McNaughton, who became a well-known jazz drummer.

It was pretty successful in the early years, in juvenile terms. However, I am not sure what happened when my granda left them. I remember them playing in the amateur leagues 20-odd years ago, but have very little other information.

I remember Toto. He played in a number of bands around Edinburgh in the late 60's/Early 70's when I went around the clubs.

Apart from that I cannae help. :cb

ACLeith
05-06-2012, 07:00 AM

I played Lothian Amateur from 1967 - 1980 and played regularly against them. Once a year I attend a (non-football) event with a couple of their guys from back then, but other than that I don't have contacts that might help you.

CropleyWasGod
05-06-2012, 08:34 AM
I played Lothian Amateur from 1967 - 1980 and played regularly against them. Once a year I attend a (non-football) event with a couple of their guys from back then, but other than that I don't have contacts that might help you.

Cheers for that.

Any info appreciated :agree:

vahibbie
05-06-2012, 09:48 AM

If it was started in Trinity the spelling is probably Bangholm Victoria. Bangholm is one of the houses at Trinity and the name of their playing fields.
I left Trinity in the 70's and don't remember the name being bandied around.
Google it and you get a Scotsman pic.

drumatic44
05-06-2012, 09:58 AM
As a fellow drumist !! I remember the bold Toto very well, played with Tam White, the Boston Dexters, and Tam Paton's Crusaders (pre. Bay City Rollers), good lad , Hibby and had a bit of a rep . as an amateur/ juniors level goalie, could well be with that team.