PDA

View Full Version : Scotland V England Euro 96

Spike Mandela
04-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Now showing on SKY Anytime from ESPN Classic.

Didn't remember just how well we played in first half and how good the team looks compared to our current International dross.

Lucius Apuleius
04-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Remember it well Spike. It was a ******** good goal by the fat Geordie though.

son of haggart
04-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Remember it well Spike. It was a ******** good goal by the fat Geordie though.

Yep - ruined my year as he then went on to score two goals in a great leugue cup final against us to give the hun a scarcely deserved 4-3 win

:grr:

Ryan69
04-06-2012, 08:44 AM
It still sends shiver down my spine seeing that ball move before McAllister kicks it.

Part/Time Supporter
04-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Now showing on SKY Anytime from ESPN Classic.

Didn't remember just how well we played in first half and how good the team looks compared to our current International dross.

Brown explained that on a RS documentary that was played on Saturday. Scotland normally played 3-5-2 under Brown but had played 4-4-2 against Holland in their first game because they only play with one striker and two wingers. Brown intended to play 3-5-2 against England but John Motson (mate of Terry Venables) spied on their last training session, so he told the team to practice with a back four. Venables then told Brown after the game that they had expected Scotland to play a back four (!). England changed their tactics at half-time and scored the first goal before Scotland adjusted.

Scotland had a strong spine then, Goram or Leighton in goal, Calderwood / Hendry / Boyd in central defence, McAllister / Collins in midfield. Major weakness was in attack really, Durie was a good front runner but not a prolific scorer and McCoist was past his best by then.

DH1875
04-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Loved Euro 96. Was down for all our games and had a great time. Ended up costing me my job at the time :party:.

Billy Whizz
04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Loved Euro 96. Was down for all our games and had a great time. Ended up costing me my job at the time :party:.

Only went to the Scotland v England game along with Eddie Thompson the Ex Dundee Utd chairman who died a few years ago.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Went to the Swiss game with mates and dressed as a 2 man horse I dint think my mate expected me to carrying his suggetion :)

Ferryhibby
04-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Best thing was the half time at wembley about 8k scotland fans all dancing to one step beyond (i think) then rockin all over the world...pure class entertainment.....remember chris evans commenting on how everyone sitting where he was thouroughly enjoying watching us

iwasthere1972
04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Went to the Switzerland game and was gutted when the news filtered through that Holland had scored at Wembley. I was almost on my way to Anfield for our next game.

Frazerbob
04-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Best thing was the half time at wembley about 8k scotland fans all dancing to one step beyond (i think) then rockin all over the world...pure class entertainment.....remember chris evans commenting on how everyone sitting where he was thouroughly enjoying watching us

Very true. I was in the England end and had goose bumps watching 8000 Tartan army playing air guitar to Status Quo and singing the "Tequila" song. Superb!

Went to all the Euro 96 games then went to France 98 2 years later. Who'd have thought we wouldn't have a finals since. Hopefully France 2016 will see us return as I don't hold out any hope for Brazil!