PDA

View Full Version : Airey & Soares released - Soares linked with Hibs in papers

Winston Ingram
01-06-2012, 04:57 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7790818/Released-players-revealed

:bye:

3pm
01-06-2012, 05:01 PM
It'll be interesting to see where Soares ends up.

Behave yerself HNA2

paul_hfc3
01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
It'll be interesting to see where Soares ends up. .post edited HNA2

Sorry how is Soares a bad guy? I've missed something here ha?

3pm
01-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Because he's a work-shy twat who thinks he is a big time Charlie.

snooky
01-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Sorry how is Soares a bad guy? I've missed something here ha?

Don't mention his name - it's a soares point :shhhsh!:

Good player IMO, if you like watching friendlies.

Wotherspiniesta
01-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Is that Rhys Murphy been released from Arsenal?

Also, think its quite harsh Man City releasing Mancini.

Thought he done quite well to win the title for them.

truehibernian
01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Peter Lovenkrands is realistic.....experienced which would help Ross and Danny, good fitness levels, and him and his missus still have homes here in Scotland.

snooky
01-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Peter Lovenkrands is realistic.....experienced which would help Ross and Danny, good fitness levels, and him and his missus still have homes here in Scotland.

I can think of a hun-dread reasons not to sign PL. :wink:

theonlywayisup
01-06-2012, 07:57 PM
****tu from QPR would fit in well with lots of our players!

Andy74
01-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I liked Soares to be honest.

3pm
01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I liked Soares to be honest.

Why?! Genuine question.

Andy74
01-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Why?! Genuine question.

Two goals v Killie away, ball in for Doyle in the cup. I just think he added a bit of quality at times. Obviously he was miles from being fit but we generally did well with him in the team.

HibbyAndy
01-06-2012, 08:56 PM
****tu from QPR would fit in well with lots of our players!

Who?

Iceman1875
01-06-2012, 08:56 PM
When I saw him he didn't look interested. Love his White porsche though! :D

Sean1875
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Do not want Soares back at this club. Yes he had a good game against Kilmarnock, but the fact were having to actually rely on one single performance in half a season to try and justify him staying shows just how much a failure he was. Unfortunately the fact he was released probably makes him more likely to come back :rolleyes:

Albion Hibs
01-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Two goals v Killie away, ball in for Doyle in the cup. I just think he added a bit of quality at times. Obviously he was miles from being fit but we generally did well with him in the team.

I dont think we ever saw his full potential, technically he was much stronger than all of the current squad and had a great delivery, its just a shame we did not figure out sooner he should be taking the free kicks and corners into the box.

I am sure he will pick up a decent championship club without too much difficulty, i certainly dont see him coming back to hibs.

Fair play to him, he bagged us what turned out to be a very important three points, provided the assist for the only goal in that game, and was probably MOM against Dunfermline the game which kept us up. Pretty easy to forget at times.

Bishop Hibee
01-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Soares was a failure. The odd goal and good set piece or cross do not make a good player.

We'll need a higher standard of midfielder to avoid another relegation battle next season.

500miles
01-06-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure if Soares is a good player or not. He showed flashes of ability, skill, and a footballing brain, but he hadn't really kicked a competative ball before coming to Hibs since about 2010 - similar to Vaz Te, who had been wasting away in reserve leagues. With a full pre-season, and kicking on from there? There's a chance he would have been a real asset to us. It was that extra half second on the ball that he wanted that cost him big, and that, to me, is something i associate with players who haven't played enough competative games for a sustained period of time.

Pretty Boy
01-06-2012, 11:54 PM
What will Phil Airey do now? Didn't like Hibs because he had to leave his mummy and friends in Newcastle.

As for Soares I'm also in the camp of people who liked him. He was technically very decent but never more than 50% fit the whole time he was here, whether he's got the heart to really push on and forge a career for himself is doubtful though imo.

Ozyhibby
02-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Regardless of whether he was rated by folk on here or not I'll stick up for him because he sent my wee boy a cup final jersey signed by him and the rest of the team which arrived this week. Given how dreadful the result was and that he is now long gone it would have been easy for him not to have done this so fair play to him.
Would have been an amazing gift if we'd have won but never mind.
Tom Soares is a gent.

Cocaine&Caviar
02-06-2012, 06:49 AM
What will Phil Airey do now? Didn't like Hibs because he had to leave his mummy and friends in Newcastle.

The boy got injured and sent home.

Matty_Jack04
02-06-2012, 06:49 AM
I think fit and played through the middle instead of wide right Soares would be a decent player, he def has some quality IMO a good Pre season under his belt build some confidence he'd be a different player

Matty_Jack04
02-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Then said he didn't want to go back

snooky
02-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Then said he didn't want to go back

Aye, the whole story is a bit airey-fairy.

Given the history, stadium, training facilties, support & location, I can't understand why players aren't queuing up to play at ER, given that wages offered would be on par, if not more, than other non-OF SPL clubs.

We have to find the answer to that conundrum - pronto.

Franck is God
02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure if Soares is a good player or not. He showed flashes of ability, skill, and a footballing brain, but he hadn't really kicked a competative ball before coming to Hibs since about 2010 - similar to Vaz Te, who had been wasting away in reserve leagues. With a full pre-season, and kicking on from there? There's a chance he would have been a real asset to us. It was that extra half second on the ball that he wanted that cost him big, and that, to me, is something i associate with players who haven't played enough competative games for a sustained period of time.

I rated Soares quite highly and agree that it was clearly a lack of games in the last couple of seasons was the main issue for him at Hibs and it may be an excellent comparison to Vaz Te who was suffering the same sort of thing.

I'd be quite happy to see him back at Hibs pre-season with a years deal to show us the player that Stoke paid £1.8m for.

bingo70
02-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Soares created and scored more in 6 months than Stevenson has done in his whole career at hibs yet everyone was creaming themselves at how apparently brilliant Stevenson was last season.

That said, with the exception of mcpake I won't be sorry to see the back of any of that shower that played in the cup final.

TowerHibs
02-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Aye, the whole story is a bit airey-fairy.

Given the history, stadium, training facilties, support & location, I can't understand why players aren't queuing up to play at ER, given that wages offered would be on par, if not more, than other non-OF SPL clubs.

We have to find the answer to that conundrum - pronto.
Apparently not offering more that £2.5k a week. Pittance in the footballing world

bingo70
02-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Apparently not offering more that £2.5k a week. Pittance in the footballing world

But more than the majority of our SPL rivals who all finished above us last season.

snooky
02-06-2012, 08:42 AM

Couldn't we just not pay the taxman?
Simples. :cb

Brooster
02-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Airey travelled to and from Newcastle on a daily basis, all day he spoke about getting back to Newcastle, he didnt want to be anywhere else but Newcastle. He came on as a sub at Killie and didn't try a leg......the next day he he picked up a mysterious injury and was sent back to Newcastle and told not to return to Hibs.

Soares showed occassional glimpses, his delivery was good at times but he was so far off the pace at times and in a number of games I thought he was hiding from the ball and shirking tackles and losing 60/40s in his favour.

What I am saying is that both players were non triers, no desire, no application......a waste of space.

BarneyK
02-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Couldn't we just not pay the taxman?
Simples. :cb

Now there's a thought. I'm sure I read recently about some kind of tax loophole...100% legit apparantly...EBT's, I think they said...Get it sorted, Petrie. Absolutely fullproof... :thumbsup:

Baker9
02-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Airey travelled to and from Newcastle on a daily basis, all day he spoke about getting back to Newcastle, he didnt want to be anywhere else but Newcastle. He came on as a sub at Killie and didn't try a leg......the next day he he picked up a mysterious injury and was sent back to Newcastle and told not to return to Hibs.

Soares showed occassional glimpses, his delivery was good at times but he was so far off the pace at times and in a number of games I thought he was hiding from the ball and shirking tackles and losing 60/40s in his favour.
What I am saying is that both players were non triers, no desire, no application......a waste of space.

In the old Edinburgh venacular he's a crapper. The last thing we need in our midfield is crappers. Good luck to him and thanks for 10% of his time with us.

Dirkster23
02-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Soares created and scored more in 6 months than Stevenson has done in his whole career at hibs yet everyone was creaming themselves at how apparently brilliant Stevenson was last season.

That said, with the exception of mcpake I won't be sorry to see the back of any of that shower that played in the cup final.

And Stevenson made more tackles in 1 game that Soares did in his time at Hibs...

I quite liked Soares tbh, we seemed to have a better balance in the midfield when he played. He was never fully fit, so hard to tell how good he really was.

MyJo
02-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't be adverse to soares coming back on a permanent deal with something to prove as he could be a decent player for us with a pre-season under his belt and more competitive games

Kaiser1962
02-06-2012, 10:35 AM

How much more can we afford to pay?

Famous5forever
02-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I dont think we ever saw his full potential, technically he was much stronger than all of the current squad and had a great delivery, its just a shame we did not figure out sooner he should be taking the free kicks and corners into the box.

I am sure he will pick up a decent championship club without too much difficulty, i certainly dont see him coming back to hibs.

Fair play to him, he bagged us what turned out to be a very important three points, provided the assist for the only goal in that game, and was probably MOM against Dunfermline the game which kept us up. Pretty easy to forget at times.

Agreed he is one we should have kept ahold of same as Nid he also had a great game v Kilmarnock

Broken Gnome
02-06-2012, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't be adverse to soares coming back on a permanent deal with something to prove as he could be a decent player for us with a pre-season under his belt and more competitive games

Same. A Tom Soares actually contracted to Hibs would probably be a lot more committed and fitter. If he had signed for any other non-OF SPL club we'd have much teeth-gnashing over how we weren't interested in £1m+ players.

As it happened, it was all a bit of a Vaz Te scenario - technically good player comes to Hibs for a few months basically for something to do and little else. Doesn't really work out, and we've had too many of them of late.

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Although its never going to happen, but if Soares were to come back and sign for Hibs for a 2 or 3 year contract, would anyone be happy we invested probably our top wage on him?

BarneyK
02-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Although its never going to happen, but if Soares were to come back and sign for Hibs for a 2 or 3 year contract, would anyone be happy we invested probably our top wage on him?

Hell naw :bitchy:

hopefulhibby
02-06-2012, 01:05 PM
And Stevenson made more tackles in 1 game that Soares did in his time at Hibs...

I quite liked Soares tbh, we seemed to have a better balance in the midfield when he played. He was never fully fit, so hard to tell how good he really was.
He still started almost every game.... why, but i have to agree with you he is a well balanced player, pity he didn't try harder

Eyrie
02-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Right now I wouldn't, but if he is willing to work hard on the pitch then I'd change my mind. Drifted out of games too easily for my liking.

Iceman1875
02-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Top wage for soares or Mcpake? - Mcpake every time...

fatbloke
02-06-2012, 02:40 PM

Stop beating about the bush. Come out and say what you really feel.:greengrin

Hibspirational
03-06-2012, 10:50 AM

:agree:

It just shows that loan signings can go either way for a club, you either end up with a McPake/Griffiths or an Airey/Soares situation.

Ferryhibby
03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Agree i loved his car too lol, think he showed some flashes of skill and football brain but seemed to disinterested alot of the time and didnt work hard enough or put in the tackles...maybe he was protecting an injury, who knows but i think he came up here, like a lot of players from engerlund, with the attitude of this is just scotland and the leagues ***** so il breeze this, then when they get into it they find the pace and the fact they dont have any time on the ball hits them and they cant seem to get up to speed with the game, but good luck to him wherever he goes.......funny though that of all the loanees we had here only one, francomb, has been given a vote of confidence from their club, most of the rest have been either released or are on the transfer list

FitbaFolkKen
03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I liked Soares, could be excellent if Fenlon could get 100% out of him. It's a big if though!

Would be happy to have him back, wouldn't be fussed if we didn't get him though. Don't think his transfer will make or break our season the same way Mcpakes could.

Andy74
03-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Too many people seem to equate a lack of fitness with a lack of effort or application.

Winston Ingram
03-06-2012, 04:56 PM

:agree:

lucky
03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Soares is a decent player but seriously overweight and unfit. I was told he hardly ever trained due his injury problems. For me I would not take him back due to his fitness issues

johnbc70
03-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Soares is a decent player but seriously overweight and unfit. I was told he hardly ever trained due his injury problems. For me I would not take him back due to his fitness issues

I heard this also, he trains just once a week due to his dodgy knee so sounds like a big risk on a longer term contract.

Planet Hibs
04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Would be horrified if we resigned Soares, the 'occasional glimpses', 'theres a player in there', some team paid '£1m + for him', 'good delivery'. Come on if this is what we are aiming for another very hard season ahead, i would rather sign Matty Jacks dad to play instead of that imposter of a football player. I have been to enough matches with Soares playing and think Fenlon would be putting a nail in his coffin for next season should he be resigned permanently. McPake should be the only loanee resigned imo plus regardless of whether a player is on loan or perm they should always look like they care and are committed 100% and that only applied to McPake and Griffiths. Also please can we get shot of Kujabi he too is Gash and the biggest weak link in our horrible team last year.
Build team round McPake and erm.....good luck Fenlon!!

JimBHibees
04-06-2012, 11:44 AM

Especially if you throw in McPake's injury record also. No way could Hibs afford to be spending probably their top rate on 2 players who may not play for a decent portion of their contracts.

PeterboroHibee
04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Same. A Tom Soares actually contracted to Hibs would probably be a lot more committed and fitter. If he had signed for any other non-OF SPL club we'd have much teeth-gnashing over how we weren't interested in £1m+ players.

As it happened, it was all a bit of a Vaz Te scenario - technically good player comes to Hibs for a few months basically for something to do and little else. Doesn't really work out, and we've had too many of them of late.

Why wasnt he committed when he was here in the first place? His career at Stoke was clearly coming to end, so why wasnt he busting a gut to get either us, or other clubs interested (in the same way that McPakes career has picked up again with clubs interested and a call up)? Match sharpness might have been a problem but I also dont see why he shouldnt have been fit, he was at a club before us and should have been taking part in training.

I think hes an alright footballer but to me he just looks like another who couldnt really be bothered giving 100%. I know he sees himself as a central player but he was out on the wing, he should have dealt with it and gave his all. Instead he looked slow to track back and a bit scared to really get stuck in.

Franck Stanton
04-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Just my opinion but to me most of Soares injuries were in his head, probably to avoid training. Needs to have a good look at himself and realise he has to work at being a player.

RyeSloan
04-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Why do footballers put all their good pre seasons under their belt?

Soares clearly had technical ability. Whether he has the desire is a different matter and there has to be a big question on his ability to ever get fully fit no matter how many belts he wears during pre season :greengrin

IWasThere2016
05-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Too many people seem to equate a lack of fitness with a lack of effort or application.

That post could have been so much better if you'd just tried harder :wink:

I'd take Soares back.

IWasThere2016
05-06-2012, 08:54 AM

Only the OF and the Yams would pay more.

O'Rourke3
05-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Probably be merged but....

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/tom-soares-says-he-d-love-to-play-for-hibs-1-2338444

And discuss

PISTOL1875
05-06-2012, 11:26 AM
He could do us all a favour and stay away.. Total waste of a jersey and a wage..

Baldy Foghorn
05-06-2012, 11:32 AM
He could do us all a favour and stay away.. Total waste of a jersey and a wage..

I'll second that

Pretty Boy
05-06-2012, 11:41 AM
As I've said previously I'd be open to the idea as long as it was on our terms.

Not one to break the bank for.

BEEJ
05-06-2012, 11:44 AM
He's just using local PR to keep his options open. He will end up at a Championship or League 1 side down south and will not be returning to ER.

And I wouldn't lose any sleep over that turn of events either.

Baldy Foghorn
05-06-2012, 11:44 AM
As I've said previously I'd be open to the idea as long as it was on our terms.

Not one to break the bank for.

Not sure what he gave us PB, most games seemed to pass him by, maybe not fully fit, but I never really rated him....

blackpoolhibs
05-06-2012, 11:46 AM
He showed glimpses of real quality, but long periods of mediocrity. He was never 100% fit, he would probably point to that as the main reason he never showed any consistency.

When was the last time he was 100% fit, is he worth the gamble especially on the wages he'd want?

Pretty Boy
05-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Not sure what he gave us PB, most games seemed to pass him by, maybe not fully fit, but I never really rated him....

Think fitness was definitely an issue.

He had a lovely delivery from the dead ball and on occasion looked technically very decent. As you say though a lot of games also passed him by.

A balancing act between the potential he may have when fully fit and the risk that he isn't able to, or doesnt have the desire, to get fit.

Elephant Stone
05-06-2012, 11:52 AM
I'll second that

Thirded.

We've not had decent wingers in as long as I can remember, if Tom Soares is the limit of our ambition for future wingers then I'll be absolutely gutted.

Planet Hibs
05-06-2012, 11:56 AM
No no no I would take a random fan to take his place in the side, we have to do better than this for any position in the team

Thecat23
05-06-2012, 12:00 PM
No no no I would take a random fan to take his place in the side, we have to do better than this for any position in the team

I think every team in the SPL should field 10 men then when you enter the ground you're name goes into a hat and before kick off the pull it out and you get stripped. :greengrin Imagine some of the players on sight!!!

StarMan10
05-06-2012, 12:02 PM
He is a technically sound player. Id have him back but play him in the middle of the park in a more advanced position to link the play with the striker(s). He should not be signed on the basis that he can fill the right mid position as we're crying out for a decent winger on both the right and left.

Famous5forever
05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
He is a technically sound player. Id have him back but play him in the middle of the park in a more advanced position to link the play with the striker(s). He should not be signed on the basis that he can fill the right mid position as we're crying out for a decent winger on both the right and left.

He seems keen enough says he wants a deal with us http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/tom-soares-says-he-d-love-to-play-for-hibs-1-2338444

bingo70
05-06-2012, 12:30 PM
I realise he's the current scapegoat but he wasn't that bad.

He had a decent number of assists and was unlucky not to add to his goal tally, shot that hit the bar against st mirren I think, his home debut against killie I think there keeper made a good assist and against Aberdeen if Reynolds never scored the og he would have had a tap in.

Not sure what his best position is as I prefer wingers to have more pace but those saying he offered nothing are simply wrong.

Aldo
05-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Think he needs to play in behind the front 2 and given a free role sort to speak. His goals against Killie showed he can get into very good positions. He's not a winger but was better than what we had IMHO.

You can see Soares has the ability but not being fit etc does and will effect your game.

I would gladly take him back and played with the right players I am sure we would see the real Soares and not just glimpses.

snooky
05-06-2012, 12:41 PM

He had a decent number of assists and was unlucky not to add to his goal tally, shot that hit the bar against st mirren I think, his home debut against killie I think there keeper made a good assist and against Aberdeen if Reynolds never scored the og he would have had a tap in.

Not sure what his best position is as I prefer wingers to have more pace but those saying he offered nothing are simply wrong.

I would suggest that, as far as Hibs are concerned, it's wherever he is right now.

Sorry, I pass. He's had his shot a glory and blew it big style, whether he was fit or not.

snooky
05-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I think every team in the SPL should field 10 men then when you enter the ground you're name goes into a hat and before kick off the pull it out and you get stripped. :greengrin Imagine some of the players on sight!!!

Absolutely brilliant idea! :applause:

It would certainly up the entertainment value. I'll dig my boots out tonight.

BTW, what sort of wages are we looking at here?

Planet Hibs
05-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Unsure if scapegoat is right as I would say the same about 95% of our squad last year, not just soares, it's the fact he could actually return which is giving me nightmares. New team please big big job for fenlon this summer

basehibby
05-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Regardless of whether he was rated by folk on here or not I'll stick up for him because he sent my wee boy a cup final jersey signed by him and the rest of the team which arrived this week. Given how dreadful the result was and that he is now long gone it would have been easy for him not to have done this so fair play to him.
Would have been an amazing gift if we'd have won but never mind.
Tom Soares is a gent.

:agree: Underlined by his making a point of applauding the Dunfermline fans who had stayed to the end to applaud their relegated team off the park at ER.

However, as a footballer, he did not do enough to excite me during his half season at Hibs and I would not be bothered at all if he ended up elsewhere. He wasn't BAD - managing a couple of goals and assists to help the points tally along - but was far from convincing IMO. Would defo not push the boat out for him although if he could accept a hefty wage cut he might not be a bad squad player.

bingo70
05-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Unsure if scapegoat is right as I would say the same about 95% of our squad last year, not just soares, it's the fact he could actually return which is giving me nightmares. New team please big big job for fenlon this summer

He's not going to fix every problem in this transfer window and he might see someone like soares as an improvement as an attacking midfielder compared to what was here when he took over and worth another season, if he doesn't work out this season then next window he can look to solve that problem.

Baby steps and all that, i personally think this season coming up the best we'll likely finish is at the top of the bottom six and from there we can kick on to start challenging for top six and europe again.

Having a whole new starting 11 is appealing but not entirely sure it's a great idea, a wee bit continuity might not be the worst thing in the world.

3pm
05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Many people speak about changing the culture at Easter Road yet here we go about signing someone who hit the bars of Edinburgh on the back of a Cup Final hiding off them.

Has ability but chooses not to maximise it. I can't stand him.

No thanks.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Many people speak about changing the culture at Easter Road yet here we go about signing someone who hit the bars of Edinburgh on the back of a Cup Final hiding off them.

Has ability but chooses not to maximise it. I can't stand him.

No f'in thanks.
Did he? Not saying he didn't but must have missed that one - what did he get up to?

bingo70
05-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Did he? Not saying he didn't but must have missed that one - what did he get up to?

He said something on twitter along the lines of..."for those asking, yes we did go out after the game but remember we're humans not robots" or something like that anyway.

Wotherspiniesta
05-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Could be a decent player, but I get the feeling he's just not got much of an appetite for the game. Showed glimpses of talent, but not enough. Moving on, I'd much I'd much rather have a youngster with a hunger to prove himself than a big time charlie who probably cares more about his outward appearance than his football career.

muirhousehibby
05-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Could be a decent player, but I get the feeling he's just not got much of an appetite for the game. Showed glimpses of talent, but not enough. Moving on, I'd much I'd much rather have a youngster with a hunger to prove himself than a big time charlie who probably cares more about his outward appearance than his football career.

Yeah i agree appeite for the game is questionable as he's not played much who's now 25.

Airey would be worth taking a risk on and would score goals once fit.

Thecat23
05-06-2012, 02:57 PM

I'd play for a packet of Skittles and 6 Corona's. Lets put this idea forward A.S.A.P :greengrin

Imagine you're name being pulled out though and soon as you have a bad pass, would we boo ourselves?? :cb

hibsbollah
05-06-2012, 03:13 PM
He said something on twitter along the lines of..."for those asking, yes we did go out after the game but remember we're humans not robots" or something like that anyway.

Doesnt bother me in the slightest to be honest. If hed got blootered before a big game, like a club legend or two i could mention it would have been different.

snooky
05-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd play for a packet of Skittles and 6 Corona's. Lets put this idea forward A.S.A.P :greengrin

Imagine you're name being pulled out though and soon as you have a bad pass, would we boo ourselves?? :cb

I would love CT to be the ref. If a window for a opportune mis-timed tackle or header arose, well ........ :devil:

Leishy1995
05-06-2012, 03:25 PM
I just seen Tom Soares on premier league years go on a mazy run and win a penalty. He looked a lot slimmer.

S4uzee
05-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Haha i have been saying this tto my mates for years, would be a terrific idea and it means we could play with a bit of passion

Phil D. Rolls
05-06-2012, 03:52 PM

No sillier than the suggestion that a team is suspended from the league for half a season, or that clubs can sign players on big wages then not bother paying them. I'm open to anything, but would stop at teams playing each other four times a season, what country in the world would be that daft, er,.....

Ultrabee1-0
05-06-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/06/04/ex-hibs-loanee-tom-soares-shown-the-door-by-stoke-city-86908-23884898/

Says in the link ''
paving the way for a possible summer return to Easter Road.''
Would you take him back? good pre-season under his belt watch his injury's I dunno there did seem to be a decent player in there?

SRHibs
05-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Probably not. Always looked a bit sluggish when he was here and there seemed to be a bit of a lack of effort.

Ultrabee1-0
05-06-2012, 04:37 PM
vaz te is the perfect example we all knew he had it just didn't show it cause lack of fitness and hadn't kicked a ball for ages now we are all wishing we held on to him and when he knocked that goal in to send west ham up every hibby turned round and said he played for us?
give soares a chance sign him up on a 2 year deal if he is **** sell him on next season!

HibbyAndy
05-06-2012, 04:45 PM
vaz te is the perfect example we all knew he had it just didn't show it cause lack of fitness and hadn't kicked a ball for ages now we are all wishing we held on to him and when he knocked that goal in to send west ham up every hibby turned round and said he played for us?
give soares a chance sign him up on a 2 year deal if he is **** sell him on next season!

If he is garbage nae one will sign him up and we are left with a crappy player on a 2 year contract.

Id personally end our interest in him. He's pish.

ehf
05-06-2012, 04:47 PM
He seems keen enough says he wants a deal with us http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/tom-soares-says-he-d-love-to-play-for-hibs-1-2338444

Says he'd love to play for Hibs: why the **** didn't he do so when he was here, then?

Ultrabee1-0
05-06-2012, 04:53 PM
If he is garbage nae one will sign him up and we are left with a crappy player on a 2 year contract.

Id personally end our interest in him. He's pish.

I am confident enough he wont be garbage! he will be good for hibs give him time get his fitness back up!!

Dinkydoo
05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Says he'd love to play for Hibs: why the **** didn't he do so when he was here, then?

Because now his parent club have released him for being ****, he has nowhere else to turn.

I'll say it again, we NEED to be setting our sights higher than Tom Soares. He's been crap in every game bar the one where he managed to score two against Killie.

Planet Hibs
05-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Because now his parent club have released him for being ****, he has nowhere else to turn.

I'll say it again, we NEED to be setting our sights higher than Tom Soares. He's been crap in every game bar the one where he managed to score two against Killie.

Agree 100%, amazes me the differing views on an utterly gash player! Who'd b a manager!!! 😉

marleyhib
05-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Soares has talent no doubt, but never fit and apparently couldn't train because of it.

Just don't think he's what we need, we are a step down for him, we need hunger, fight and consistency - not too sure he brings any of those.

Lang Toun Hibs
05-06-2012, 05:58 PM

Remember we play in the spl. I've had my doubts about him from time to time but felt he maybe held back a bit at times due to being on loan. If he signed for us and was able to show the quality he has and the spirit...playing in a confident team of course, we'd see a different player.

Why didn't he show this while on loan? Who knows...worried about getting released with no contract and picking up an injury? If his terms are reasonable, he's worth a chance I reckon.

snooky
05-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Remember we play in the spl. I've had my doubts about him from time to time but felt he maybe held back a bit at times due to being on loan. If he signed for us and was able to show the quality he has and the spirit...playing in a confident team of course, we'd see a different player.

Why didn't he show this while on loan? Who knows...worried about getting released with no contract and picking up an injury? If his terms are reasonable, he's worth a chance I reckon.

Exactly the reason we shouldn't sign him, especially when he knew we were in a relegation fight.
He could always audition for at least one part in The Wizard Of Oz.

vla_di_vla
05-06-2012, 08:53 PM
He is my all time least favourite hibs player. Everyone ive spoken to who has met him has affirmed my belief that he believes he's something special. I cant believe how much game time he got from fenlon

ekhibee
05-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Agree 100%, amazes me the differing views on an utterly gash player! Who'd b a manager!!! 

Good point, cos I totally disagree with yours.

Planet Hibs
05-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Good point, cos I totally disagree with yours.

And no doubt u think Claros should play alongside him in the same dross midfield

Bishop Hibee
05-06-2012, 09:35 PM
None of the four midfielders who started the final should be in the starting lineup for the first game of the season.

sleeping giant
05-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Soares can piss off. Non trier . He only ever looked good during the warm up.

Edit : Just remembered i said the same about David Murphy after seeing his first match for us :-)

Eyrie
05-06-2012, 09:56 PM

Then he should have shown his quality and spirit when here on loan. We were his shop window to show teams what they could sign next season when Stoke let him go, and he didn't use it to his (and our) advantage.

I'd be disappointed if he's back, but hopefully our rumoured interest in him is purely his agent looking to get some attention and provide leverage in negotiaions with a Championship or League One team down south.

keep the faith
05-06-2012, 10:35 PM
No way does Soares deserve to be the whipping boy he appears to be. The guy had hardly played any football in some time when he joined us, so obviously he was going to take time to reach match fitness. He also had injuries which hampered him.

The thing is, I thought his contribution was pretty decent. He can see a pass, has good ability and is positionally very clever. An eye for goal and good delivery makes him a useful player. I actually thought his effort and comittment on the park was ok too. For me he was MOTM along with McPake in the Dunfy game. However, he makes no attempt to tackle and this, combined with poor fitness turned some against him very early. A poor cup final (like everyone in green on the park that day) was the final nail in the coffin for many.

However re-signing him may be not a bad idea - If he is part of a bigger picture. We need to sign a good few players over the next few weeks, not just one. If Soares is balanced up with different types of players then someone with his quality achieving match fitness could be a real asset next year. Its a bit like when Mikey Stewart signed. The guy had been kicking around for a good few years and a big club with little loan spells here and there. Result was a big name player with not that match recent match experience. It took him a good few months to find his feet.

Dont get me wrong I would not lose any sleep if Soares didnt come back, but I can see why PF may see him as part of a bigger picture next year and it may just be a smart move if the terms were right.

ekhibee
05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
And no doubt u think Claros should play alongside him in the same dross midfield

No I don't, I just don't think he's as poor a player as you say. That doesn't mean I think we should try and sign him either. I would, however, totally agree with you (hopefully) that we do need virtually an entire new 1st team. Soares showed more than just a glimpse of ability, but in my opinion, even though he does have that ability, we can't afford to take chances on people who just show up occasionally, so I probably wouldn't want to sign him right now. One small point though, it'll be interesting to see who takes corners next season, Soares was taking most of them latterly, and they were considerably better than the ones Griffiths was taking, in any case I certainly wouldn't have had 1 of the main strikers taking corners in any case. Just a thought though.

Spike Mandela
06-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Showed nothing in his half season loan to suggest he would be the answer for Hibs going forward from here. This is a chance to reinvigorate the team and dispose of as much as last year's dross as possible.

Andy74
06-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Showed nothing in his half season loan to suggest he would be the answer for Hibs going forward from here. This is a chance to reinvigorate the team and dispose of as much as last year's dross as possible.

Was he last year's dross though?

Certain players I don't think were responsible for our overall shocking record and some actually helped us get some results that we weren't previously getting.

He got a couple of goas away to Kllie which turned out to be important and he provided assists in the Dunfermline game.

We shouldn't just discard anyone that pulled on a strip last year. With a better balanced squad and better players in key positions a few of those who played last year would do pretty well.

The guy was far from fit and if there's any chance he can get fit and stay fit I think he is the quality we should be looking for.

Having said that there's enough doubt about whether he's ever fit long enough for me not to be too bothered either way.

Looking at the Dunfermline game report again, anyone who thinks Fenlon didn't make a difference should re-visit it. Soares, Doyle, McPake and Doherty all very key. That Dunfermline team had won at ER previously. Not to mention we also beat them away under Fenlon.

JimBHibees
06-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Certain players I don't think were responsible for our overall shocking record and some actually helped us get some results that we weren't previously getting.

He got a couple of goas away to Kllie which turned out to be important and he provided assists in the Dunfermline game.

We shouldn't just discard anyone that pulled on a strip last year. With a better balanced squad and better players in key positions a few of those who played last year would do pretty well.

The guy was far from fit and if there's any chance he can get fit and stay fit I think he is the quality we should be looking for.

Having said that there's enough doubt about whether he's ever fit long enough for me not to be too bothered either way.

Looking at the Dunfermline game report again, anyone who thinks Fenlon didn't make a difference should re-visit it. Soares, Doyle, McPake and Doherty all very key. That Dunfermline team had won at ER previously. Not to mention we also beat them away under Fenlon.

Agree with all of that, the risk is though will he ever be fit enough for us to get benefit from. If any injury he has isnt a permanent condition I would be more than willing to take him on as he showed enough to see that he had quality and would only get better when fit. He also had a terrific shot rocket off the bar v Motherwell which if went in would have secured 3 points.

hibby67
06-06-2012, 12:37 PM
from what i saw of him last season i would not be that bothered about giving him a contract
seemed more injury prone than anything else...

also when he was fit i got the impression that he hid in games always took the easy option (Kilmarnock game aside)
not what we are needing just now, need a team of triers cant afford luxury players

Piqué
06-06-2012, 05:04 PM
If we were playing 1 up front I would MAYBE take him to play in behind the forward where he could have more of a free role. Although Cairney may be more suited to that position if he signs. Soares doesn't have the work rate to play in a four-man midfield though.

Spike Mandela
06-06-2012, 05:11 PM

Honestly why bother Andy? Sure he got a couple of goals at Killie but for the rest of the time he just never set the heather alight at all and never provided anything that should suggest we go back with a contract, 6 month deal at most if we must. There is a whole world of footballers out there who are better than Soares and should be investigated first imo.

Planet Hibs
06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=ekhibee;3255081]No I don't, I just don't think he's as poor a player as you say. That doesn't mean I think we should try and sign him either. I would, however, totally agree with you (hopefully) that we do need virtually an entire new 1st team. Soares showed more than just a glimpse of ability, but in my opinion, even though he does have that ability, we can't afford to take chances on people who just show up occasionally, so I probably wouldn't want to sign him right now. One small point though, it'll be interesting to see who takes corners next season, Soares was taking most of them latterly, and they were considerably better than the ones Griffiths was taking, in any case I certainly wouldn't have had 1 of the main strikers taking corners in any case. Just a thought though.[/QUOTE

I honestly think a substandard delivery into box is better than a passenger in midfield, we rarely seem to score from a delivery these days anyway!! I think at the last minute of the Jan transfer window Soares was prob offered to us and Fenlon grabbed him. The fact he has been released speaks volumes and its not just him i wouldnt take back: Doherty, O'Donavan, Towell dont want at ER again. Would tell Kujabi and Claros no thanks and although I rate Griffiths above average I am unsure if his immaturity is right for us at a time we need a complete cultural overhall. Wotherspoon, Hanlon and Booth I would certainly keep but they have to have better players around them such as a McPake, ie leaders. Stevenson has another year and agree based on last year. Osbourne hugely disappoints me as he seems to have the physical attributes and hope with replacements for Claros/Soares he may come good next season and do the breaking up and pass to a 'skillfull' team mate.

Every transfer window seems to be bigger than the last but I really do think Fenlon / The board have to get this one right as in 6 months if we are murder and still an easy touch then I think it could be curtains for them all. I actually am a supporter of the board in general however there are only so many times they can get it wrong in a row before the minority turns majority and shouts become louder for the whole lot of them to be removed....and I spose that is exactly why the likes of Soares cannot be re-signed as we will be relegation fodder again if the likes of him are back in midfield dropping 20 yards off the opposition