PDA

View Full Version : GOC guilty of cocaine possesion and obstructing police.

Baw Baggio
03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-17940505

Not the best timing....

ozzie
03-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Think thats bad timing, is his drugs charge not the week before the final?

TamHibs
03-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Let's hope he goes out on a high then......

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?of4gi5

Jamesie
03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm more concerned by the drugs trial which has been reported as being set down for 13 May - as that's a Sunday I presume it's actually 14 May - five days away from the Cup Final. I see former Partick Thistle manager Gerry Britton - now a lawyer - represented Garry at the Intermediate Diet in that matter in Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday and he requested a further hearing before trial - that's a bit tight for a 13 May trial diet so hopefully this too is bumped until after the Cup Final.

Winston Ingram
03-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Nearly £100k attempted fraud? Sounds like jail time to me if found guilty...:agree:

chrisski33
03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Date in the report says 24th may not 14th

hibee
03-05-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm just hoping he's up on a charge for walking naked along Princes Street that week too!

mjh
03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Nearly £100k attempted fraud? Sounds like jail time to me if found guilty...:agree:

so what do cw and sdm get for £134m ?

Winston Ingram
03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
so what do cw and sdm get for £134m ?

Absolutely SFA

Jack Ferrigan
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Garry O'Connor scores a hat trick in the Scottish Cup Final and is awarded the freedom of the City from The Lord Provost Of Edinburgh.

Well might as well make a right good day of it ...yes?

ozzie
03-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Date in the report says 24th may not 14th

yeah for the fraud case, looks like his drugs case is the 14th.

Ultrabee1-0
04-05-2012, 12:20 AM
how long is he looking at?

JohnStephens91
04-05-2012, 05:12 AM
how long is he looking at?

I can't find the Scottish Justice System's sentencing for a crime for fraud, but English and Welsh fraud of between £20,000 and £100,000 can be aywhere as little as 12 weeks or as high as 5 years depending on the severity of the attempted fraud and a whole host of other factors. We should all just hope that there is a loophole that bans Scottish Cup winners from serving jail time.

StevieC
04-05-2012, 05:43 AM
I can't find the Scottish Justice System's sentencing for a crime for fraud, but English and Welsh fraud of between £20,000 and £100,000 can be aywhere as little as 12 weeks or as high as 5 years depending on the severity of the attempted fraud and a whole host of other factors. We should all just hope that there is a loophole that bans Scottish Cup winners from serving jail time.

A custodial sentence is possible but the judge will also weigh up all the other factors, including cost to society, potential to re-offend, background reports, etc. before he reaches his conclusion.
In this case, with all the factors involved, I suspect that it is likely to be a heavy fine than the burden on society of a custodial sentence.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
04-05-2012, 07:45 AM
His drugs court case has been adjourned until May 13th......he was arrested on May 14th

frazeHFC
04-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I thought it was meaning Michael O'Connor on trial at us....

Pretty Boy
04-05-2012, 08:02 AM
A custodial sentence is possible but the judge will also weigh up all the other factors, including cost to society, potential to re-offend, background reports, etc. before he reaches his conclusion.
In this case, with all the factors involved, I suspect that it is likely to be a heavy fine than the burden on society of a custodial sentence.

This.

Although assuming he is found guilty, his continued plea of not guilty won't sit well with the court.

--------
04-05-2012, 08:55 AM
This.

Although assuming he is found guilty, his continued plea of not guilty won't sit well with the court.

He's entitled to be assumed innocent until proven guilty. And the court really shouldn't turn vindictive just because his counsel decides to mount a defence, even a defence of extenuating circumstances. We're supposedly all entitled to our day in court, not just roll over whne the police arrive to arrest us. (That's the theory, anyway.)

He doesn't strike me as a criminal mastermind - or as the sort of violent or manipulative predator who needs to be locked away for the safety of other people. The guy needs to take a tumble to himself and get his life sorted out. How he does that is his responsibility, but the strain of the ongoing legal process is obviously telling on him.

TBH, I would say that he's entitled to be a lot more concerned about the outcome of those trials than about what the score is at the end of the Cup Final, since he could be facing jail time. IIRC both charges were on the books before Hibs signed him back last summer, so we knew what we were taking on.

I suppose we DIDN'T expect to be in the Cup Final back then, though. :greengrin

For myself, I wish him well in both his court appearances, and I really hope he manages to come through all this, sort things out, and then hit the headlines and news websites for all the right reasons in the months to come. He's a young man - 28 years old - and he surely still has time to make a real mark in the game.

Phil MaGlass
04-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Really is time for him to wake up and smell the coffee, he has to grow up, seems its a thing alot of players cant do. 28 a chance to put himself in the shop window, only a couple of years left for him, he should be wising up.

Garry O'Connor, SCOTTISH CUP WINNER 2012, GERINTAETHUM.

madabouthibs
04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
A big factor in sentencing, if found guilty of course, will be the difference between an attempted fraud, and actually committing fraud. I'm no legal eagle, but I'd imagine the latter is much more serious. :agree:

BarneyK
04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Could set up a new O'Connor and transfer the striker into it leaving the old O'Connor to face trial and re merge the two after any sentence has expired?

:thumbsup: Sorted!

silverhibee
04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
This.

And also during that time him and his lawyers have messed the courts about too, infact i don't even think there will be trial's for the fraud or drug cases, i have said it for a while now but GOC defence team have done a great job in getting these cases put back for almost a year to the end of the season, job done imo, the only thing they probably didn't account for would be there client and his club getting to a Scottish Cup Final.

On the day of the trials it wouldn't surprise me that GOC changed his plea to guilty and his lawyer trying to strike some kind of deal with the PF(no not our manager:greengrin), for some of the charges to be reduced in both cases, if that was the outcome then as you say i don't think any judge will take to kindly to the courts being mucked about the way they have been, yes people are allowed to maintain that they are innocent and plead Not Guilty, but the judges are not daft and have seen this trick pulled many times before and when it finally comes down to sentencing then the judge may just set an example on GOC, the fraud case, a massive fine with Probation and so many hours of Community work, the drug case, probably the big man will spend his summer in the big hoose with the hope of a move to an open Prison and then out with a tag around his ankle, still should be out in time for the new season starting though. :wink:

easty
04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Could set up a new O'Connor and transfer the striker into it leaving the old O'Connor to face trial and re merge the two after any sentence has expired?

:aok:

Hibernia Na Eir
04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
if this were a Yam player it wouldn't be hanging over their head pre-final. Guaranteed.

typical.
is the judge not a diet hun? think he is.
think Garry would happily go down if it meant getting hands on that bit silver.

Dashing Bob S
04-05-2012, 02:10 PM

There is, but unfortunately it only applies to Huns.

LeithBoozy
04-05-2012, 02:42 PM
You would have all charges rounded-up together Garry, so go straight through Black in the first minute in the final and paint Hampden red. :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-05-2012, 03:00 PM

The Gers board must be in allsorts then!

Ultrabee1-0
04-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Let's hope its not a yam judge eh

neilmartinrocks
04-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Let's hope its not a yam judge eh

did the judge no' fess up tae bein' a yam at the hearing?

Steven_Hibs
05-05-2012, 12:45 PM
did the judge no' fess up tae bein' a yam at the hearing?

:rolleyes: yep

Jamesie
24-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Am I right in thinking the insurance trial was due to start today?

Also the cocaine trial seems to have completely disappeared off the radar - what happened last week? :confused:

hibee
24-05-2012, 09:27 PM

Also the cocaine trial seems to have completely disappeared off the radar - what happened last week? :confused:

Garry O'Connor 'crashed Ferrari into deer' court told - http://t.co/s4jxrpyH

Macaroon
24-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Came in here thinking Michael O'Connor had been taken on trial by Hibs..

Nevermind :boo hoo:

silverhibee
24-05-2012, 10:29 PM

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/102845-footballer-garry-oconnor-ready-to-stand-trial-for-cocaine-charge/ :aok:

Phil MaGlass
25-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Has he been locked up yet? His showing at the Cup Final was criminal in itself, that should have warranted a prison sentence by itself.

JimBHibees
25-05-2012, 10:11 AM

Ha, ha, brilliant. :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
25-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Has he been locked up yet? His showing at the Cup Final was criminal in itself, that should have warranted a prison sentence by itself.

As was him out partying a few hours later.

LancashireHibby
25-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Let's hope there aren't any deer hanging around his personal parking space at the court.

Kojock
25-05-2012, 11:19 AM
How thick can you get.

Everybody and their dog (including the Police) saw his badly damaged car crashed into the bridge at Meadowmill on the 14th April, yet GOC claims he hit a large animal a fortnight later causing the damage.

Was it a big pink elephant by any chance. :crazy:

NorthNorfolkHFC
25-05-2012, 11:38 AM
"looked tanned and relaxed"

Haha. Is this relevant? its very diplomatic. "looked like a scelped a**e and relaxed" might hav been more appropriate.

.Sean.
25-05-2012, 11:38 AM
He really isn't the cleverest chap, is he? The whole of East Lothian knew it was his car dumped by the bridge within hours then trying to claim it happened weeks later, while the Police were investigating him. What a daftie. He must've expected the insurers to pay out with no questions asked.

If he's found to be guilty, what punishment can he expect?

Sudds_1
25-05-2012, 11:41 AM
He really isn't the cleverest chap, is he? The whole of East Lothian knew it was his car dumped by the bridge within hours then trying to claim it happened weeks later, while the Police were investigating him. What a daftie. He must've expected the insurers to pay out with no questions asked.

If he's found to be guilty, what punishment can he expect?

pokey.......with endless replays of his inept performance at the final on his in cell tv.

MSK
25-05-2012, 11:50 AM

If he's found to be guilty, what punishment can he expect?Prob a fine & community service...helping injured deers ...:agree:

GraniteCityHibs
25-05-2012, 12:47 PM

DOE :doh:

HibsMax
25-05-2012, 01:15 PM
How thick can you get.

Everybody and their dog (including the Police) saw his badly damaged car crashed into the bridge at Meadowmill on the 14th April, yet GOC claims he hit a large animal a fortnight later causing the damage.

Was it a big pink elephant by any chance. :crazy:

I was speaking to my mate who hit a deer the day after the final. He said it was disgusting because half of it was still stuck in his car. Ugh. Anyway, my wife hit a deer a few years back and over here, if you hit a deer, you're supposed to remain at the scene and call the cops do they can file a report and, duh, prevent insurance fraud. Don't know if the laws are the same back home.

Diclonius
25-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Not our problem any more.

The Green Goblin
25-05-2012, 03:07 PM

Totally.

Hibrandenburg
25-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Totally.

Was it some old deer?

Pretty Boy
25-05-2012, 03:12 PM

This.

Although I did expect a slightly more interesting story to emerge than 'I hit a deer' given his continued not guilty pleas.

What a clown.

Onion
25-05-2012, 03:29 PM

Agree. So you can only imagine what our justice system will do to anyone committing ACTUAL fraud of anything from £24 - £130 MILLION.. :wink:

EskbankHibby
25-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Trying hard to shoe horn Barry Venison and our reserve goalkeeper Callum Antler into this thread but lack the imagine required.

heretoday
25-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Was it some old deer?

Ha Ha :greengrin I was just going to say that old dears are a menace on the roads!

Hibrandenburg
25-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Ha Ha :greengrin I was just going to say that old dears are a menace on the roads!

Heh heh heh! That would have been better, but sorry too late.

ancient hibee
25-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I was speaking to my mate who hit a deer the day after the final. He said it was disgusting because half of it was still stuck in his car. Ugh. Anyway, my wife hit a deer a few years back and over here, if you hit a deer, you're supposed to remain at the scene and call the cops do they can file a report and, duh, prevent insurance fraud. Don't know if the laws are the same back home.

Don't you also get to take the deer home and put it in the freezer(assumng it's dead of course).

macca70
25-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Reminds me of a time when someone tried to charge me £50 for 8 Venison legs - I said it was 'Too Deer' :)

macca70
25-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Apperantly the insurance company asked if the animal was blind?

GOC replied - 'No Eye Deer?'

pentlando
25-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Apperantly the insurance company asked if the animal was blind?

GOC replied - 'No Eye Deer?'

Deery me :greengrin

monktonharp
25-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I was speaking to my mate who hit a deer the day after the final. He said it was disgusting because half of it was still stuck in his car. Ugh. Anyway, my wife hit a deer a few years back and over here, if you hit a deer, you're supposed to remain at the scene and call the cops do they can file a report and, duh, prevent insurance fraud. Don't know if the laws are the same back home.apparently, you are by law, meant to take the deer's name, especially if it's an auld deer. If the deer runs off, obviously undamaged, that deer is liable for any damage to your expensive vehicle. this is aplicable in any court case in your defence, and you can claim pain,discomfort and solace.....on that basis, moreover , the damage to any vehicle can be also claimed in the event of the said deer f/kin off before informing the polis. I rest Garry's case.

muirhousehibby
25-05-2012, 11:32 PM
http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/102845-footballer-garry-oconnor-ready-to-stand-trial-for-cocaine-charge/ :aok:

If you think the story about hitting the deer is bad the coke case is even worse, i'd be suprised if he gets off with this but anything can happen in our courts.

Belter of a story for the papers!

HibeeSince85
26-05-2012, 07:04 AM
2 trials on the go.

1. 100 grand insurance fraud
2. Possession & Resisting arrest

Gaz is heading for the jail I reckon.

What a state to get yourself in, no club, career pissed away and these charges over you.

coco22
26-05-2012, 07:58 AM
apparently he was on his way home from a stag doo and didn't want questions asked about his rather red nose

Part/Time Supporter
26-05-2012, 08:01 AM
DOE :doh:

A female deer?

Green forever
26-05-2012, 08:49 AM
If he had signed for Rangers he could have claimed to be "gaurding old deery's walls".................

eastmainsmsh
26-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Wasted what we had if he hadve screwed the nut stayed fit not all his fault imo he couldve been a sensation in premier at a better club than birmingham . nice lad wouldnt pass you but too easily led astray ....to be fair he isnt prob the only footballer hitting headlines for wrong reasons he has a young family everybody makes mistakes hope whatever outcome is he can get back on track no wonder he has been off form .... he was sensational early in season

iwasthere1972
26-05-2012, 08:30 PM
If you think the story about hitting the deer is bad the coke case is even worse, i'd be suprised if he gets off with this but anything can happen in our courts.

Belter of a story for the papers!

Well I've only tried coke the once. Decided that after getting both bottles stuck up my nostrils I wasn't doing it again. :doh:

RickyS
26-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Well I've only tried coke the once. Decided that after getting both bottles stuck up my nostrils I wasn't doing it again. :doh:

:top marks

spike220
27-05-2012, 08:27 AM
A female deer?

Ray - a golden drop of sun :tumble:

Keith_M
27-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Ray - a golden drop of sun :tumble:

and when he was being chased by that fat PC whilst (allegedly) carrying Coke, he decided..

"Na... a long, long way to run"

The Green Goblin
27-05-2012, 05:13 PM
If he had signed for Rangers he could have claimed to be "gaurding old deery's walls".................

:greengrin

VickMackie
27-05-2012, 09:09 PM
My post has been unsubstantiated, 99% of any forum is unsubstantiated, fair enough, I wasn't on the phone but know....

27-05-2012, 09:15 PM
A very promising career that hasn't lived up to the heights it possibly could have done because of his stupidity. I wont be that upset to see him leave in the summer TBH, especially after hearing of his antics after the cup final, up town partying FFS!

VickMackie
27-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Marinello, tried to pm you but it's not showing as sent for some reason.

marinello59
27-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Marinello, tried to pm you but it's not showing as sent for some reason.

I got it. The admin team here will bear any legal consequences of unsubstantantiated allegations of criminal activity being made. That's not being naive as you suggest.

VickMackie
28-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Fair enough.

silverhibee
28-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Drug trial starts today. Any updates yet, is he still looking tanned and relaxed. :greengrin

JimBHibees
28-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Drug trial starts today. Any updates yet, is he still looking tanned and relaxed. :greengrin

Bet you Garry is gutted that he didnt know about this last weeks weather as could have saved him a fortune in fake tans. :greengrin

Sylar
28-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Tried to give a false name and then proceeded to misspell it. I fail to be surprised by either that, or the fact that he was out of breath after 300m's of running.

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/103569-out-of-breath-footballer-gary-oconnor-caught-by-police-after-300m-dash/

son of haggart
28-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Tried to give a false name and then proceeded to misspell it. I fail to be surprised by either that, or the fact that he was out of breath after 300m's of running.

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/103569-out-of-breath-footballer-gary-oconnor-caught-by-police-after-300m-dash/

I love this bit: "O'Connor's defence agent, Liam O'Donnell, said his client's arrest was unlawful as police had not detained him before he ran away. The evidence against the 29-year-old could, therefore, not be led, he argued. "He had every right to run away," Mr O'Donnell said."

To summarise the defence - "Garry was perfectly entitled to run away from the police, we'd recommend it to anyone stopped by them. It's just a pity Garry's getting on a bit and the old powderkegs, sorry legs prevented him exercising his right to flee from the law."

seems perfectly reasonable - a variation on the old Spartan law where it only applied if you got caught:confused:

keep the faith
28-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Hard to believe this is a thead about our top goalscorer. Are we really enoying a hibs man in this mess??? His behavior has got him in this position. i for one take no pleasure on this.

The_Exile
28-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Not enjoyable in the slightest, but it's the mental image of him being utterly puggled after 300 meters which has me in hysterics every time.

LancashireHibby
28-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks 300m is a bit generous? He's looked knackered after 20 yards most weeks this season.

heretoday
28-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Hard to believe this is a thead about our top goalscorer. Are we really enoying a hibs man in this mess??? His behavior has got him in this position. i for one take no pleasure on this.

It's pathetic rather than funny. All that glory and cash and he ends up sprinting away from the cops up Rose St.
Dear oh dear oh dear.

johnbc70
28-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I think it's the irony of it all, arguably one of our best players this season and our top goalscorer is alleged to have snorted cocaine, given a false name he could not even spell, and then tries to run away only to be found out of breath and shaking 300 yards away.

.Sean.
28-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Embarassing state of affairs and he's only got himself to blame. No sympathy from me.

Pretty Boy
28-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Embarassing state of affairs and he's only got himself to blame. No sympathy from me.

This.

Not particularly enjoying seeing him in this state but not a lot of sympathy either.

If he didn't sort himself out after a previous club covered up a drug ban for him then I think its unlikely he ever will.

snooky
28-05-2012, 04:41 PM

The one I heard was ...

"I don't do cocaine but I quite like the smell of it"

Boom! boom!

truehibernian
28-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I love this bit: "O'Connor's defence agent, Liam O'Donnell, said his client's arrest was unlawful as police had not detained him before he ran away. The evidence against the 29-year-old could, therefore, not be led, he argued. "He had every right to run away," Mr O'Donnell said."

To summarise the defence - "Garry was perfectly entitled to run away from the police, we'd recommend it to anyone stopped by them. It's just a pity Garry's getting on a bit and the old powderkegs, sorry legs prevented him exercising his right to flee from the law."

seems perfectly reasonable - a variation on the old Spartan law where it only applied if you got caught:confused:

I think his defence agent needs to brush up on Section 13 of the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act too - if I am ever in bother I now know which legal agent never to employ - deary deary me. A quite embarrassing 'defence' in my opinion.

ancient hibee
28-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Obviously in this case - a big boy did it and couldnae run away.

Bourne_Hibs
28-05-2012, 05:30 PM

I don't think he was trying to claim his name was Johnston it sounds more like he was trying to spell out his name as Joss stone.

Gatecrasher
28-05-2012, 05:30 PM

I know I shouldnt but i found that quite funny

neilmartinrocks
28-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Obviously in this case - a big boy did it and couldnae run away.

:faf::faf:

Famous5forever
28-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I Cant see GOC getting another club pity he was good when he was here the first time and although he was not very good he still was our top goal scorer last season what a waste of talent

lucky
28-05-2012, 05:55 PM
GoC is still good enough for the SPL. He just needs to be fit. But reading his court cases it appears that a spell behind bars maybe on the cards. Shame but he is a knob off the pitch

Dashing Bob S
28-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Wasted what we had if he hadve screwed the nut stayed fit not all his fault imo he couldve been a sensation in premier at a better club than birmingham . nice lad wouldnt pass you but too easily led astray ....to be fair he isnt prob the only footballer hitting headlines for wrong reasons he has a young family everybody makes mistakes hope whatever outcome is he can get back on track no wonder he has been off form .... he was sensational early in season

Sums it up. So many fundamentally decent young chaps get into trouble when they are too anxious to stick to their roots and be 'one of the boys'. The sad truth is, that in our media/internet age, football players are better being aloof, boring sorts, keeping away from niteclubs and bars, being cosseted by minders and agents, and -most of all- avoiding fans like the plague.

SteveHFC
28-05-2012, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogaJ0CygjnI

pacorosssco
28-05-2012, 08:27 PM
surely he should have said his name was charlie caine or billy wizz

Billy Whizz
28-05-2012, 09:05 PM
surely he should have said his name was charlie caine or billy wizz

What's wrong with Billy Whizz

silverhibee
28-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Who is he blaming for the gear getting in to his pocket, surely not the cops, surely he can't be that stupid, caught three times in possession of cocaine, once in the car then in Hope Street, the third is allegedly in St Leonards Police station, how does he explain that one. :confused:

And on a we side note why are the other three in the car not in the dock along side O'Connor, does Gaz have a white Land rover,? if not then surely the driver/owner would be in the dock too, not unless they are prosecution witnesses. :rolleyes:

SteveHFC
28-05-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/323112/Garry-O-Connor-gave-false-name-in-drugs-swoop-

Sunny1875
29-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Was it some old deer?

No that was Wayne Wooney

Bristolhibby
29-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Who is he blaming for the gear getting in to his pocket, surely not the cops, surely he can't be that stupid, caught three times in possession of cocaine, once in the car then in Hope Street, the third is allegedly in St Leonards Police station, how does he explain that one. :confused:

And on a we side note why are the other three in the car not in the dock along side O'Connor, does Gaz have a white Land rover,? if not then surely the driver/owner would be in the dock too, not unless they are prosecution witnesses. :rolleyes:

I guess if it were in his pocket te the owner gets off. Or he is doing right by a mate and not planting it in the car, as you would be stitching a mate up.

J

bighairyfaeleith
29-05-2012, 08:43 AM
anyone know if him not being cautioned is a valid reason for him getting off with it, legally likes, not morally

oldbutdim
29-05-2012, 09:01 AM
anyone know if him not being cautioned is a valid reason for him getting off with it, legally likes, not morally

Decent chance.

:cb

mutley
29-05-2012, 09:32 AM

Na not really, because he will also get cautioned at the beginning of the tape recorded interview.

truehibernian
29-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Decent chance.

:cb

On what legal grounds obd ? Just interested.

I think it's highly unlikely given what's been presented so far. The only fly in the ointment as I see it would be the status of those others in the car (if any).

If a cop suspects you of an offence, or suspects you are witness to an offence, then that person can be stopped, and asked for their name and address, without initially being cautioned. That's under the terms of the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act. The fact he is alleged to have run away, whilst also being suspected of giving a false name, then gives rise to detain/arrest for at least three offences - drugs, attempting to pervert, or attempting to defeat the ends of justice.

Only my legal opinion of course. He would have been cautioned when they did detain/arrest for whichever offence.

I think his defence agent is toiling if that's his 'defence' strategy - but without having access to case papers it's hard to say.

Kojock
29-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I think his lawyer is saying that if the Police saw GOC in possession of what they thought was an illegal substance then he should have been detained Under Misuse Drugs Act 1971 Sect 23. Im assuming he wasn't and he ran off.

MDA 1971 Sect 23

2) If a constable has reasonable grounds to suspect that any person is in possession of a controlled drug in contravention of this Act or of any regulations made thereunder, the constable may— .

(a) search that person, and detain him for the purpose of searching him; .

(b) search any vehicle or vessel in which the constable suspects that the drug may be found, and for that purpose require the person in control of the vehicle or vessel to stop it; .

(c) seize and detain, for the purposes of proceedings under this Act, anything found in the course of the search which appears to the constable to be evidence of an offence under this Act.

(4) A person commits an offence if he— .

(a) intentionally obstructs a person in the exercise of his powers under this section;

My reading of it is that after GOC ran off, as he had never been detained or arrested the charge of obstructing / molesting / hindering the Police should not stand. So yes there is a chance that he will be found not guilty for that one.

As for being in possession of the white stuff hes pretty much goosed.

Kojock
29-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Na not really, because he will also get cautioned at the beginning of the tape recorded interview.

As soon as the Police found anything GOC should have been cautioned at common law. If not anything GOC said in response to any questioning would be inadmissable.

truehibernian
29-05-2012, 11:37 AM
As soon as the Police found anything GOC should have been cautioned at common law. If not anything GOC said in response to any questioning would be inadmissable.

By the sounds of things though HSH, GOC hasn't been interviewed or questioned as such. He's been seen by one eye witness acting suspiciously in a vehicle with a rolled up note (according to reports) - I'd say initially the cops are entitled to use S13 to note all the particulars of those in the vehicle, then use MDA powers to search both individual(s) and car. He is then told of the reason for the search - of course, anything find during search then requires common law caution - but in law now, he should not be interviewed without first having been afforded access to a legal agent. Any comments made post caution, pre interview, can be mentioned and whether it's admissible evidence, argued in court.

His defence agent appears to be arguing the legality of the detention/arrest, which for me is clutching at the smallest of legal straws.

If there were others present, I'd be keen to know, as his agent, what procedures were adopted with them.

mutley
29-05-2012, 12:48 PM

Not really, I'd he said something that was considered to be a " significant statement" it can be used, even before caution ( ps I'm a copper )

Kojock
29-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Not really, I'd he said something that was considered to be a " significant statement" it can be used, even before caution ( ps I'm a copper )

If he made a statement / comment pre caution, Yes that would be admissable but as soon as he said anything incriminating or any evidence was found he should be cautioned immediately.

If the Police suspected he was snorting cocaine then he should have been detained under Sect 23 MDA 1971 for the purpose of search. He and the vehicle should have then been searched. As soon as they found the "white powder" in his pocket he should have been immediately cautioned.

mutley
29-05-2012, 05:48 PM
If he made a statement / comment pre caution, Yes that would be admissable but as soon as he said anything incriminating or any evidence was found he should be cautioned immediately.

If the Police suspected he was snorting cocaine then he should have been detained under Sect 23 MDA 1971 for the purpose of search. He and the vehicle should have then been searched. As soon as they found the "white powder" in his pocket he should have been immediately cautioned.

Oh absolutely, but it's difficult to say withough being there at the time, and we are only judging on what was reported, but if what you say above is true, then yes if he was searched and the "white powder" was found he'd be cautioned and arrested on the spot. I can't actually remember what the initial report was, and it's not my patch.

Eitehr way, if he IS found guilty, and also the insurance fraud case............he's pretty humped!

Spike Mandela
01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Sentenced later this month.

hibs0666
01-06-2012, 04:13 PM

No foreign clubs for him then.

iwasthere1972
01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Hope the judge adds 6 months on for his display in that final and for the celebrations that night.

HibsNutter
01-06-2012, 04:15 PM
He only has himself to blame, utter clown.

DaveF
01-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Hope the judge adds 6 months on for his display in that final and for the celebrations that night.

:greengrin

Seveno
01-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Just imagine how Garry and Deeks could have turned out if they hadn't been such dicks.

hopefulhibby
01-06-2012, 04:24 PM
He only has himself to blame, utter clown.
Is this the same GOC that posters on here were praying that he would make the final, how fickle are some fans, if he scored the winner that day the same posters would be saying the poor guy needs help with his addiction

hibsbollah
01-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Sorry to go against the grain, but im sad and disappointed for him and hope he resurrects a career that could still offer something. Hes provided me with loads of great moments, none better than the 2001 derby last minute winner.

HibbyAndy
01-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Sorry to go against the grain, but im sad and disappointed for him and hope he resurrects a career that could still offer something. Hes provided me with loads of great moments, none better than the 2001 derby last minute winner.

Spot on, GOC has done wrong and i know that, He had a major hand in Hibs avoiding relegation this season with his 16 goals and ill forever be grateful for that,..But i wish the guy nothing but good luck for the rest of his career. Good luck Garry Oconnor :aok:

hopefulhibby
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Well said, dont kick the man when he is down, he has a family

bingo70
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Surely he was always going to be found guilty of it as well.....they found it on him! or is there another part to the story i'm not getting? Obstructing police seems a pretty vague charge but surely those two combined doesn't mean he'll serve time in jail unless it was possession with intent to supply?

Just to be clear though, in no way am i defending him or playing down what he's done, for a footballer to be doing that kind of thing is unexcusable, guy seems like a total fud of the highest order and one we're well shot of.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-06-2012, 04:33 PM
One word for the sentencing:
Pete Doherty.
Next!

down-the-slope
01-06-2012, 04:34 PM
GOC guilty of cocaine possesion and obstructing police

Also Guilty of not being able to out run a copper .... and being out of breath when collared...thats almost as embarressing...

This will limit his options - so hopefully for his own sake and ours he will knuckle down and play the father rather than playboy a bit more..get a proper preseason done and stick to diet and fitness regime so that we can at least see the player we had pre-Christmas before the rumors of him touting himself to Rangers in the Jan window surfaced.....

Shrekko
01-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Agree.

Certain folk on here dying to stick the knife in to a good Hibs player. A bit of compassion surely justified?

bingo70
01-06-2012, 04:35 PM

well he shouldn't have done it then, he's no a daft 18 year old laddy, he's almost 30 years old and already almost blown his chance in football.

Am i grateful for him doing the job he was paid to do? of course i'm grateful for the goals but i certainly don't think he deserves any sympathy or best wishes, he needs a kick up the erse and his so called mates that he was doing the drugs with need to have a word with themselves as well.

Mon Dieu4
01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Surely he was always going to be found guilty of it as well.....they found it on him! or is there another part to the story i'm not getting? Obstructing police seems a pretty vague charge but surely those two combined doesn't mean he'll serve time in jail unless it was possession with intent to supply?

Just to be clear though, in no way am i defending him or playing down what he's done, for a footballer to be doing that kind of thing is unexcusable, guy seems like a total fud of the highest order and one we're well shot of.

I agree with you, if its a small amount for personal use then can't see him getting jailed for it, otherwise the prisons would be overflowing, the stuff is rife and every time I've been out lately someone has been at that shiote in the toilet

HibeeEmma
01-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Agree he had good times at Hibs. Why sad and disappointed? He actively went against the law and took drugs. It wasn't some accident he got caught up in the middle of.

Maybe he should have thought about that before taking drugs.

Professional footballers have a different type of career from your average guy because their personal life has a direct correlation with their professional life and one influences the other. Partly why they are paid so much.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2012, 04:42 PM
I think that todays decision in court should mark the final chapter as him as a Hibs player. If we as a support want rid of this drinking culture, signing players like him should be a thing of the past.

We have always signed players with a flawed past, but we are at an all time low regarding this culture, unless we completely change the attitude, we will still be here discussing it again next year.

All the best Garry in the future, i hope you sort yourself out.

Seveno
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Agree.

Certain folk on here dying to stick the knife in to a good Hibs player. A bit of compassion surely justified?

Hibs gave him a second chance after his drug problems at Birmingham. He let them down, pure and simple.

Aaron
01-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Apparently the amount of cocaine found on him had a street value of £450 so that equates to about 9 grams - I doubt this could be classed for personal use. :bitchy:

Tha Cabbage Kid
01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Hibs gave him a second chance after his drug problems at Birmingham. He let them down, pure and simple.

this! im really angry that we have a player of his tallent and he is wasting it! thats why people on here are acting the way they are becuase he is a looser!

i dont think he will kerb this habbit and i dont even think he wants to. he is living high life to high i think.

bags of tallent but pockets of cocaine.

Barney McGrew
01-06-2012, 04:59 PM

To be fair, the incident happened before he re-signed for us IIRC. The article in the Scotsman mentions he has been regularly drug tested by the club since then.

hibee
01-06-2012, 04:59 PM

The fans are just talking about what he's done though, not really kicking him when he's down. Did he think of his family when he went drunk in the back of a car to George Street and got the cocaine out in full view of everyone walking past?

Golden Bear
01-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I think that todays decision in court should mark the final chapter as him as a Hibs player. If we as a support want rid of this drinking culture, signing players like him should be a thing of the past.

We have always signed players with a flawed past, but we are at an all time low regarding this culture, unless we completely change the attitude, we will still be here discussing it again next year.

I agree 100% with this post.

The days of Hibernian FC acting as some sort of safe haven for lost souls should be a thing of the past.

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Garry has been in bother quite a bit off and on over the years. Its time he grew up to be honest.

I'm not that bothered if he signs on at ER or not for next season, nothing to do with the cup final, its just that he is one of a number of players we have who lumber about the park looking a yard short of pace. I want to see us move the ball about a lot quicker than we have done over the last 3 years and to have players with a bit of pace. Garry aint in that category.

Its a pity, coz if he had worked harder on his fitness over the years he could have been playing in the EPL .... not looking like a man on the slide.

Its time that Hibs made it clear that any player who fancies the old booze and drugs culture had better look elsewhere for a club. They are supposed to be professional athletes FFS. The money is good and the career short, so my advice would be save up and when you retire you can get wasted all you want.

Golden Bear
01-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Has he been up for the alleged insurance fraud yet?

HibsNutter
01-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Is this the same GOC that posters on here were praying that he would make the final, how fickle are some fans, if he scored the winner that day the same posters would be saying the poor guy needs help with his addiction

I personally hoped Doyle would start, and he certainly showed at least a lot more effort when he came on in the final. Also, you cannot say what he's done is acceptable. He's a professional footballer, he's supposed to be setting a good example, not ruining his career with issues like these.

joe breezy
01-06-2012, 05:13 PM
The fans are just talking about what he's done though, not really kicking him when he's down. Did he think of his family when he went drunk in the back of a car to George Street and got the cocaine out in full view of everyone walking past?

Do you think about your family when you're drunk? I don't.

Sir David Gray
01-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Has he been up for the alleged insurance fraud yet?

His trial for that started last week.

It'll recommence next Friday.

joe breezy
01-06-2012, 05:15 PM
He's not going to win the Nobel Prize for contribution to science but resisting arrest isn't the most clever, even when I've been reeking i've usually managed to sober up when the police are on the scene.

Anyway, not too clever but I wouldn't take any joy in slating the guy.

VickMackie
01-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Apparently the amount of cocaine found on him had a street value of £450 so that equates to about 9 grams - I doubt this could be classed for personal use. :bitchy:

It could, quite easily if you go back to a party. Just saying!

If the street value figure is reported by police it's usually exaggerated on the true cost.

hibee
01-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Do you think about your family when you're drunk? I don't.

Yes, getting drunk isn't really one of my top priorities in life though so it's not something I have to worry about. As has been said already he's meant to be a professional, I don't know all the details but surely he wasn't so drunk he didn't know what he was doing.

I don't wish the guy any harm or jail term and would gladly take him back if he was fit and not involved in this nonsense anymore!

sh00byd00
01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Christ, some people in here are going on like he's a wee laddie that didn't know better and was led astray because of it. Wee shame n all that. The only thing he'll be sorry about is getting caught.

Still got fond memories of him and appreciate the goals he's scored the season just gone, but ffs, the guy has previous and didn't learn from it, so deserves no sympathy whatsoever. He's let a lot of people down, like the wee kids that had him down as a hero, his family, his friends, the club and not least, he's let himself down.

Dashing Bob S
01-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Would absolutely love to see Gary line up with Deeks and Sparky in a triple Hibernian strike force how splendid! With, of course, George Street and Jenner's reopening their doors to the wayward trio.

And perhaps Kevin Thomson back with a new knee and even Steven Whittaker with a hair transplant taken from Paulo Sergio's eyebrows.

The Green Goblin
01-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Christ, some people in here are going on like he's a wee laddie that didn't know better and was led astray because of it. Wee shame n all that. The only thing he'll be sorry about is getting caught.

Still got fond memories of him and appreciate the goals he's scored the season just gone, but ffs, the guy has previous and didn't learn from it, so deserves no sympathy whatsoever. He's let a lot of people down, like the wee kids that had him down as a hero, his family, his friends, the club and not least, he's let himself down.

This. Word for word.

joe breezy
01-06-2012, 05:41 PM
It could, quite easily if you go back to a party. Just saying!

If the street value figure is reported by police it's usually exaggerated on the true cost.

The Police always oversestimate 'street value' to make their figures look good, they were pricing ecstasy at £15 a pill when they were going for a fiver at most and I've seen them pricing coke as up to as much as £100 a gramme

9 grammes on a big night out when you earn good money is entirely feasible although it would be shared as is often the custom

EdinMike
01-06-2012, 05:51 PM
I dunno how I feel about this. I've known and met Garry on several occasions. And in all honesty, I knew he dabbled in the stuff. Turned a blind eye to it. So I'm not surprised on the verdict. It's up to him to get himself and his career back on track though.

truehibernian
01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I dunno how I feel about this. I've known and met Garry on several occasions. And in all honesty, I knew he dabbled in the stuff. Turned a blind eye to it. So I'm not surprised on the verdict. It's up to him to get himself and his career back on track though.

Agree with the sentiment mate, but not at Hibernian - we are a football club, not a rehabilitation centre or charity.

Hope he recovers from this, but you reap what you sow in life. He knew better - the t-shirt at Dunfermline was cringeworthy.

Younger, fitter, keener players out there, with no baggage.

Lungo--Drom
01-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Totally agree. I've always criticised his behaviour and had to watch what I was saying as he was unconvicted and therefore 'innocent'. Now he is convicted.

As a footballer and sportsman he should not just have been striving to improve himself, his game and do his best for football and sport in general's image he should have been setting an example for children and young people, showing them the many positive aspects of football in terms of fitness, participation, team work and sporting competition.

Instead he decided to break the law and get involved in Class A illegal drugs. What a great example for the children and young people eh Garry? I'd rather he hadn't scored 16 goals for us because for me he isn't a Hibee anymore, he's a disgraced fat, over sun-tanned JUNKIE.

That's right Garry Lawrence O'Connor, your just a fat junkie. Hang your head in shame!

well he shouldn't have done it then, he's no a daft 18 year old laddy, he's almost 30 years old and already almost blown his chance in football.

Am i grateful for him doing the job he was paid to do? of course i'm grateful for the goals but i certainly don't think he deserves any sympathy or best wishes, he needs a kick up the erse and his so called mates that he was doing the drugs with need to have a word with themselves as well.

EdinMike
01-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Agree with the sentiment mate, but not at Hibernian - we are a football club, not a rehabilitation centre or charity.

Hope he recovers from this, but you reap what you sow in life. He knew better - the t-shirt at Dunfermline was cringeworthy.

Younger, fitter, keener players out there, with no baggage.

Christ no, as a Hibby...No I don't want him at the club. He has a bad aura around him.

But the times i've met, spoke and hung around with him, he is a genuinely nice guy ! He seems to have his demons though and I wish him well in that.

iwasthere1972
Yes he's scored some important goals for us but he's done the crime and he's going to have to be luckier than a Yam in a penalty box to avoid a custodial sentence.

I too will remember the good times and hope that he can sort himself out.

gegs70
The laddie needs to grow up...if I was pat fenlon I wouldnt want him anywhere near the first team.

BEEJ
01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Confirmed at the court case that Garry's contract with Hibs ended today.

After conviction, Mr O'Donnell told the court that his client's contract with Hibs had came to an end earlier on Friday.

The court also heard that O'Connor had two previous convictions for road traffic offences.

Asking that Mr O'Connor be fined, Mr O'Donnell said: "I am asking your lordship to deal with this by way of financial penalty.

"He is a professional footballer. His contract with Hibernian expired today. He is looking for a new club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18302010

EHZERO7
01-06-2012, 06:23 PM
So realistically what can Garry expect as a sentence?

LancashireHibby
01-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Absolutely spot on.

Betty Boop
01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
So realistically what can Garry expect as a sentence?

Community service maybe ?

Wembley67
01-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Baws..its a months supply

DH1875
01-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Sad state of affairs but its not really seen as such a big issue these days. Can't see to much of a sentence on this one, it's the other case he should be worrying about.

hopefulhibby
01-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I personally hoped Doyle would start, and he certainly showed at least a lot more effort when he came on in the final. Also, you cannot say what he's done is acceptable. He's a professional footballer, he's supposed to be setting a good example, not ruining his career with issues like these.
I agree with you that Doyle would have been a better choice to start, but a large amount of fans wanted GOC fit for the final and now the same fans are slaughtering him, thats my point FICKLE FANS

DMR1875
01-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Gary lines up with Deeks and Sparky. What a trio for Saughton Prison Football team! I'd go watch it myself.:agree:

truehibernian
01-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Gary lines up with Deeks and Sparky. What a trio for Saughton Prison Football team! I'd go watch it myself.:agree:

Escape to Victory 2 - saying that, with Garry, Deeks and Leigh they'd probably end up tunneling their way to the next cell by mistake. Bless 'em.

Littlest Hobo
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Cocaine is nothing these days, all the kids are doing it at weekends.

He'll get a fine, no biggy.

Littlest Hobo
01-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I agree with you that Doyle would have been a better choice to start, but a large amount of fans wanted GOC fit for the final and now the same fans are slaughtering him, thats my point FICKLE FANS

I wanted Doyle to start too, O,Connor last half hour.

snooky
01-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Escape to Victory 2 - saying that, with Garry, Deeks and Leigh they'd probably end up tunneling their way to the next cell by mistake. Bless 'em.

Nae chance of Deek goin' down - he's banned from bars.

gringojoe
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
let he who is without sin, cast the first stone

Lets hope Garry gets his life sorted out.

BullbreedHFC
01-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Would absolutely love to see Gary line up with Deeks and Sparky in a triple Hibernian strike force how splendid! With, of course, George Street and Jenner's reopening their doors to the wayward trio.

And perhaps Kevin Thomson back with a new knee and even Steven Whittaker with a hair transplant taken from Paulo Sergio's eyebrows.

:faf: ...............:top marks

JimBHibees
01-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Completely agree we need to also get rid of the culture of signing a former player because he hasnt got another club to sign for.

Sir David Gray
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Sad state of affairs but its not really seen as such a big issue these days. Can't see to much of a sentence on this one, it's the other case he should be worrying about.

:agree: He'll get a massive fine for the cocaine possession, maybe 100 hours of community service as well but I cannot see him going to prison over it.

But, like you, if he's found guilty of the insurance fraud, I think a jail sentence is inevitable.

Since90+2
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
:agree: He'll get a massive fine for the cocaine possession, maybe 100 hours of community service as well but I cannot see him going to prison over it.

But, like you, if he's found guilty of the insurance fraud, I think a jail sentence is inevitable.

:agree: Especially when you factor in he now has previous on his record

WhileTheChief..
01-06-2012, 07:59 PM

:top marksGenuine laugh out loud moment at this post!!! Quality!

steviehibsleith
01-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Ok so how many posters on this thread were at the final game of the season whch we won to stay up - GOC scores from the penalty spot to raptures and the terracing i was in singing loud and clear - HES ONE OF OUR OWN GOC HES ONE OF OUR OWN ...

I wasnt impressed with the cup final display like all but lets think about all is contibutions and wish him well hes a troubled young man.

jdships
01-06-2012, 08:10 PM

Have kept out of this discussion for several reasons but would just say a BIG thankyou for two commonsense posts :top marks

.Sean.
01-06-2012, 08:13 PM

Yes it could. Plenty folk will buy a bigger amount for personal use as it works out cheaper than buying here and there I suppose. I very much doubt anyone's daft enought, even GO'C, to walk about up town witha chunk of drugs as big as that in their pocket though.

Ultrabee1-0
01-06-2012, 08:16 PM
this has put a downer on my hole day! such good talent is gona be locked up in saughton!
hope he gets out gets back on track and use's it as motivation to get back out and clear his name again!
all the best gazz your a true hibs legend.

.Sean.
01-06-2012, 08:16 PM
The whole of East Lothian have known for years, going back to when he was first at Hibs.

MSK
01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Ok so how many posters on this thread were at the final game of the season whch we won to stay up - GOC scores from the penalty spot to raptures and the terracing i was in singing loud and clear - HES ONE OF OUR OWN GOC HES ONE OF OUR OWN ...

I wasnt impressed with the cup final display like all but lets think about all is contibutions and wish him well hes a troubled young man.Yip ...however he never carried that onto the next level ..he aint ONE OF OUR OWN ...he is ON HIS OWN ...football v snort ..do your sums ..

****ing waste man ...

truehibernian
01-06-2012, 09:47 PM
The whole of East Lothian have known for years, going back to when he was first at Hibs.

The thing is Sean, with football being a small community, I wonder how much Hibs knew. Was it a case of hear no evil, see no evil......who knows. Certain players' gambling issues didn't take long to be fed back to previous managers for example.

Either way, Hibs need to do proper research when recruiting from now on in order to build a team who are as responsible on the pitch as off it. We have I would say the worst reputation in the SPL for off field antics. You therefore have to question the discipline code, and those that are the disciplinarians at Easter Road - because the players show no remorse or respect for it.

gegs70
01-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Without his goals we would not have finished above the pars. And it wasnt all his faultfor the final. But he is seen as a role model for the club a lot of kids look up to him hugely disapointed with his off field antics! Was he emptied from Barnsley and Birmingham for similar issues??

MSK
01-06-2012, 09:55 PM
The thing is Sean, with football being a small community, I wonder how much Hibs knew. Was it a case of hear no evil, see no evil......who knows. Certain players' gambling issues didn't take long to be fed back to previous managers for example.

Either way, Hibs need to do proper research when recruiting from now on in order to build a team who are as responsible on the pitch as off it. We have I would say the worst reputation in the SPL for off field antics. You therefore have to question the discipline code, and those that are the disciplinarians at Easter Road - because the players show no remorse or respect for it.Why not simple "random" drug tests ...thats what puzzles me ..drugs are rife in the game ..why dont clubs operate testing stations, not just to catch the player out but to educate them ..zero tolerance ..eradicate it from the game ..or is it a case of clubs knowing but turning a blind eye because player A cost X amount or player B is a top player etc ..

How many more young talented players are gonna get sucked up in the whizz craze ? surely clubs can do more to prevent this ..

Andy74
01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Without his goals we would not have finished above the pars. And it wasnt all his faultfor the final. But he is seen as a role model for the club a lot of kids look up to him hugely disapointed with his off field antics! Was he emptied from Barnsley and Birmingham for similar issues??

Maybe with some goals mid season from him we'd not have been down there? Garry O should have been able to rip the SPL up. What a waste.

richard_pitts
01-06-2012, 10:23 PM
GoC is still good enough for the SPL. He just needs to be fit. But reading his court cases it appears that a spell behind bars maybe on the cards. Shame but he is a knob off the pitch

I've just finished the Legal Practice Diploma at Edinburgh Uni (subject to resits) and we were taught that if the Sheriff defers sentence for background reports, "Prison must be uppermost in My Lord's mind". He will need a damn good plea in mitigation to avoid prison. :agree:

SteveHFC
01-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Outside the court O’Connor said: “It’s all s****. It wasn’t even me. They’re talking s****.”

It also emerged yesterday that O’Connor was regularly tested for drugs at Hibs.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/323997/Cocaine-shame-of-strike-star-dumped-by-Hibs

Sergey
01-06-2012, 11:29 PM
The sad fact of the matter is he's actually trying to deny it.

That's as heinous an act as snorting the gear in the first place.

Two wrongs certainly don't make a right, and he'll be duly lugging his overweight frame around League 1 or 2 in England next year...or maybe prison fitba'.

gegs70
01-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Maybe with some goals mid season from him we'd not have been down there? Garry O should have been able to rip the SPL up. What a waste.

yep agree.....but still thought iy was a no bad amount of goals given that midfield was pish...

silverhibee
02-06-2012, 12:36 AM

The Cube nightclub. :wink: :greengrin

sadtom
02-06-2012, 01:23 AM
For the 'obstructing the polis' part of the charge, does that mean he could get an 'indirect' jail sentence? :dunno:

EdinMike
02-06-2012, 04:06 AM

I worked in a certain George St. Nightclub where they literally knew and allowed him to do it ! He was at Birmingham at the time but still. If hes spending money ! George St eh !

Lucius Apuleius
02-06-2012, 05:17 AM
What worries me is the number of hibs supporters here who say they knew about it. Now, if they knew about it you have to assume they knew Garry otherwise it would all be second hand gossip. Yet, not one person, not one Hibs supporter has said they tried to get him to stop. Turning a blind eye is condoning it.

Iain G
02-06-2012, 05:39 AM
So according to that Express story his contract is up, so yes we new that, but have Hibs not offered him a new deal then? Waiting for the outcome of the trial perhaps.

Sad how a good footballer can't concentrate for the 12-15 or so years he has in the game at senior level and focus solely on their career, what kind of advice and guidance do these laddies are get from their own managers and agents? Garry had the ability to be the best Scottish striker of his generation, now it's all gone in several clouds of...well...let's say smoke!

Very sad waste of a talent...

son of haggart
02-06-2012, 06:14 AM
So according to that Express story his contract is up, so yes we new that, but have Hibs not offered him a new deal then? Waiting for the outcome of the trial perhaps.

Sad how a good footballer can't concentrate for the 12-15 or so years he has in the game at senior level and focus solely on their career, what kind of advice and guidance do these laddies are get from their own managers and agents? Garry had the ability to be the best Scottish striker of his generation, now it's all gone in several clouds of...well...let's say smoke!

I agree - I have always thought he could have ade a huge difference to Sctotland's fortunes on the intenational scene - we have been crying out for a striker of his talent and physique over the miller years.

Such a shame

sven nil
02-06-2012, 06:28 AM
The sad fact of the matter is he's actually trying to deny it.

That's as heinous an act as snorting the gear in the first place.

Two wrongs certainly don't make a right, and he'll be duly lugging his overweight frame around League 1 or 2 in England next year...or maybe prison fitba'.Heinous act ! DONT THINK SO,

Jack
02-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Garry surrounded by Hibernian FC and by the supporters seems to be a great guy. Football.

Garry surrounded by his mates seems to be an uncontrollable prick. Outside football.

Looking back it could have been the reason he was punted to Russia when he was.

A Jekyll and Hyde character.

Shame.

Matty_Jack04
02-06-2012, 07:09 AM

His agent is medals McKay what kind of advice do you imagine getting from him?

.Sean.
02-06-2012, 07:27 AM
The Cube nightclub. :wink: :greengrin

I've heard the stories about that place mate. Unfortunately (or rather, fortunately! :greengrin) I was too young to ever frequent such a fine establishment.

I'm certain that it was a haven for numerous folk who ended up high-profile gangsters was it not!? Guns, swords, the lot I a was told.

flash
02-06-2012, 07:36 AM
His agent is medals McKay what kind of advice do you imagine getting from him?

Maybe the kind of advice that would help seeing as Mackay made the most of his career. He ain't his agent anyway.

Steve-O
02-06-2012, 08:00 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4351585/No-dosh-and-Becks-for-guilty-Garry-OConnor.html

Seems GOC wanted to go to USA...nae chance now.

bingo70
02-06-2012, 08:09 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4351585/No-dosh-and-Becks-for-guilty-Garry-OConnor.html

Seems GOC wanted to go to USA...nae chance now.

What a total fanny

Iain G
02-06-2012, 08:20 AM
What a total fanny

So he canny tie a tie properly, has lost the bones for his collar and goes to court with a nice classy Louis Vuitton belt on...you can take the boy outta East Lothian.. :wink: :greengrin

TowerHibs
02-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Sooner he admits to himself that he's a Junkie the better - obviously has a problem

Being exposed on national telly for being a coke head last year should have woken him up!

I heard a story yesterday from an ex Hibs player about him being caught after the final by the physio sorting out coke for that nights entertainment. When u see the photo of him and his mates, he is certainly buzzing his fat arse off

oconnors_strip
02-06-2012, 11:03 AM
not defending garry one little bit but there has been nothing said about the other people in the car with him that night, for some reason i cant see it was just him doing the drug.

another waster out the door thank god! feel sorry for his family, especially his wife who just gave birth a couple of months ago

heid the baw
02-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Outside the court O’Connor said: “It’s all s****. It wasn’t even me. They’re talking s****.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/323997/Cocaine-shame-of-strike-star-dumped-by-Hibs

If he continues with that attitude during his background report interviews then the judge will hump him good style on sentencing. That kind of pish indicates hee haw remorse and quite frankly screams "I am Bertie Bigbaws, cokeheid, I do what I like"

He has been found guilty, end off. He needs to take whats coming to him with a bit of dignity and contrition and move on. He will likely get a fine, probably a community payback order with unpaid work and possibly a drug treatment requirement (given he has well documented history of cocaine use including treatment whilst playing in EPL, which obviously did not succeed ).

The "cocaine is nae big deal, everyones at it" argument put forward by some posters on here, tends no to play out the same way with the judiciary who see it as Class A. Obstructing polis likewise is taken very seriously, no matter how pathetic and laughable the attempts.

£450 is a fair dunt of stuff to take on a night out. Ok he probably shares, but if he admits to even giving someone else even a wee toot for free, then that then it is "intent to supply". Not even he is that naive or stupid to admit that in interview. But wi that amount of gear on a night out, you can guarantee he is now on the polis radar as someone who is maybe just a wee bit further up the food chain.

The £90k insurance fraud is a different matter all together. That's got custodial written all over it, even as a first time offence.

I am glad he is no longer at the club. The culture has to change, you cannot have the biggest name at the club behaving like this.

Pedantic_Hibee
02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I got a £40 penalty last week for p1ssing in the street.

Just sayin'.

snooky
02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
I got a £40 penalty last week for p1ssing in the street.

Just sayin'.

Was it inside or outside the box?

Just askin' :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
02-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Was it inside or outside the box?

Just askin' :wink:

I was at least 6 yards away from the road at the time of the incident. Offside.

silverhibee
02-06-2012, 01:06 PM

Considering one of his managers tried to cover it up when he was drug tested down in the Premiership say's it all really, the big guy has had plenty of help for his demons but it hasn't done him any good.

marinello59
02-06-2012, 01:23 PM

:faf: Superb. Sorry, I seem to be the only person who thinks that's funny. I only wish he had defended himself in court, it would have been brilliant reading the transcripts.

silverhibee
02-06-2012, 01:57 PM
:faf: Superb. Sorry, I seem to be the only person who thinks that's funny. I only wish he had defended himself in court, it would have been brilliant reading the transcripts.

This was said in the court not outside, he made no comment when he left the court, his lawyer had to step in and tell his client to keep quiet as he sat in the dock after being found guilty.

I am sure the judge who will pass down sentence on him in a few weeks time will find it hilarious as well. :cb

marinello59
02-06-2012, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=silverhibee;3252791
I am sure the judge who will pass down sentence on him in a few weeks time will find it hilarious as well. :cb[/QUOTE]

I am sure he won't. I apologise for the levity. There is no room for humour when it comes to player indiscretions, only condemnation. :agree:

Frazerbob
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Apparently he didn't seem too bothered whilst on the piss in Grand Cru again last night. That place seems to be his venue of choice to get over crushing defeats!

Somebody needs to pull him aside and tell him to keep a low profile at times like these. What a tool!

fatbloke
02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Hearts interested in signing him.
My source - Port Seton Co-op - usually reliable coz if someone farts in PS the Co-op staff know what odour it gave off.

silverhibee
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I've heard the stories about that place mate. Unfortunately (or rather, fortunately! :greengrin) I was too young to ever frequent such a fine establishment.

I'm certain that it was a haven for numerous folk who ended up high-profile gangsters was it not!? Guns, swords, the lot I a was told.

A breeding ground for well known gangsters who are doing very well for there selfs nowadays. :agree:

silverhibee
02-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I am sure he won't. I apologise for the levity. There is no room for humour when it comes to player indiscretions, only condemnation. :agree:

But you still found it a tad funny though. :greengrin

marinello59
02-06-2012, 02:53 PM
But you still found it a tad funny though. :greengrin

Aye. It's like when a kid denies having eaten any of their easter eggs despite having a face covered in chocolate. The perfect defence. :greengrin

HibeeMG
02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Aye. It's like when a kid denies having eaten any of their easter eggs despite having a face covered in chocolate. The perfect defence. :greengrin

It would be white chocolate in GO'C's case. :greengrin

02-06-2012, 03:04 PM

God almighty, the guy really doesn't have a brain cell does he!

Like i said earlier, could have gone on to be a really good player and achieve a lot but instead threw it away with his stupidity.

Too much hassle, we are trying to rebuild and create a good morale in the dressing room and i'm afraid people like O'Connor who constanly make the headlines for all the wrong reasons, embarresing the club and thinking they are Billy big shot is not what we need. Sad though because I like him as a player.

silverhibee
02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Apparently he didn't seem too bothered whilst on the piss in Grand Cru again last night. That place seems to be his venue of choice to get over crushing defeats!

Somebody needs to pull him aside and tell him to keep a low profile at times like these. What a tool!

That must have been after he was knocked back from Shanghai where he was told he is not welcome there anymore.

You know what my gripe is AberGreen, you would think Sarah David and Mark Pickavanece would have something to say about it but it seems not, a flawed scheme.

Frazerbob
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
That must have been after he was knocked back from Shanghai where he was told he is not welcome there anymore.

You know what my gripe is AberGreen, you would think Sarah David and Mark Pickavanece would have something to say about it but it seems not, a flawed scheme.

Aye that does seem odd. Wouldn't have happened in my day :wink: Having said that, Sarah David has made a living out folk who abuse illegal substances so maybe GOC is her type of punter.......allegedly!

Recon he was in Grand Cru before being KO'd by Shangers.

Gala Foxes
02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Outpaced by a cop in uniform over 300 yards - shameful performance

Greendreamer
02-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Outpaced by a cop in uniform over 300 yards - shameful performance

maybe that should be a fitness test for pre season ...

silverhibee
02-06-2012, 04:47 PM

:faf::agree:

heretoday
02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
He'll get off with a suspended and told to book into a rehab place.

That would seem fair enough to me actually.

silverhibee
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Aye that does seem odd. Wouldn't have happened in my day :wink: Having said that, Sarah David has made a living out folk who abuse illegal substances so maybe GOC is her type of punter.......allegedly!

Recon he was in Grand Cru before being KO'd by Shangers.

Cheers. :aok:

heid the baw
02-06-2012, 11:40 PM
He'll get off with a suspended and told to book into a rehab place.

That would seem fair enough to me actually.

Unfortunately for him you are not a sheriff.

basehibby
03-06-2012, 01:46 AM
One thing that stands out to me here is - Gary! Why didn't you dump the stash when you had the chance!

Joking aside I think that Gary's troubles alomgside the travails of his erstwhile strike partner Deeks show up a lack of education/good management provided to our talented young players in Scotland, the money floating about in Scotland may be a fraction of that on offer just down the road but the pressures of playing for a club like Hibs are probably on a par with most clubs down south.

Players these days in Scotland still get paid a good deal more than the likes of the Turnbul's Tornadoes generation even if less than their English counterparts, and the reality is that the drugs culture has grown since then and is a very real part of the environment that many of them grow up in.

These sort of incidents are not confined to Hibs but what's happened to two of our favourite home grown stars makes me concerned that we're not doing enough as a club to prepare and help our young players for the pressures and temptations which will come their way when playing for our beloved club.

The financial climate always seems to dictate running a tight ship in Scottish football but this is one area that sould NOT be skimped on IMO.

JohnStephens91
03-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Don't drop the soap, don't drop the soap, Garry O'Connor, don't drop the soap!

All joking aside it is a real shame to see one of the best young talents to have come out of Easter Road waste himself away like this. He could have had a great career as a powerful striker for a team in the Premiership, maybe not for a team like Man Utd, but perhaps for an Everton or an Aston Villa. He really needs to have a look back and see where he went wrong, for me it is too late for him to change anything now, and as much as it saddens me to say it is his own fault.

When he scored the winning goal in the Russian Cup Final and was going to move to Birmingham he really should have acted there and then to sort his life off the pitch out, only now are we seeing the effects as he trudged about the pitch looking as unfit as Eduardo Hurtado. I think now when Hibs are bringing through a young player they need to have drug and alcohol counselling and have random drugs testings to make sure they avoid the same pitfalls as O'Connor.

Squealing pig
03-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Christ no, as a Hibby...No I don't want him at the club. He has a bad aura around him.

But the times i've met, spoke and hung around with him, he is a genuinely nice guy ! He seems to have his demons though and I wish him well in that.

were you getting the lines oot?