PDA

View Full Version : Cup Final phone bill

Andy Bee
23-05-2012, 09:52 PM
............No not the club but the support.......

I just got my mobile bill in today, the highest it's ever been, £35 in call charges to Ticketline alone and another £25 on my sons mobile with the landline bill still to make an appearance but surely to be around the £15-£20 mark above normal :fuming: all in regards to the public sale of CF tickets. Now add to that the ticket price, travelling expenses, CF merchandise and the obligatory couple of pies and bovrils, the overall spend adds up to a serious amount of cash :agree:

This got me to thinking that although I think I've spent a lot (which I have), what exactly did some supporters shell out? There was a whole load of media coverage about overseas Hibbys going to great expense to get to the game but in monetary terms what does that equate to? I've got a feeling some of the sacrifices made could be frightening.

For the record, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :agree:

FranckSuzy
23-05-2012, 10:00 PM
............No not the club but the support.......

I just got my mobile bill in today, the highest it's ever been, £35 in call charges to Ticketline alone and another £25 on my sons mobile with the landline bill still to make an appearance but surely to be around the £15-£20 mark above normal :fuming: all in regards to the public sale of CF tickets. Now add to that the ticket price, travelling expenses, CF merchandise and the obligatory couple of pies and bovrils, the overall spend adds up to a serious amount of cash :agree:

This got me to thinking that although I think I've spent a lot (which I have), what exactly did some supporters shell out? There was a whole load of media coverage about overseas Hibbys going to great expense to get to the game but in monetary terms what does that equate to? I've got a feeling some of the sacrifices made could be frightening.

For the record, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :agree:

My brother spent £1500+ coming back from Oz plus £280 for hospitality (to guarantee a ticket). Not to mention being off the leash and on the peeve every night for 9 days = £2000 easily :agree:

coco22
23-05-2012, 10:21 PM
not even thinking about the cash i spent, i genuinely am feeling the effects of the emotional investment in the cup final. caught up in the hyped build up, creating scenarios and what ifs for weeks, soaking up the pre-match atmosphere (one of the best ever) and hanging on every kick of the ball for 49 minutes. drained.
hoped it would be different but our day will come - should have recharged the batteries by then...

IberianHibernian
23-05-2012, 10:24 PM
2 issues here : 1. Phone charges . How much , if any , of this money goes to clubs ? Not that some of money going to clubs would justify high phone charges . Was glad to see that membership owners are / were offered chance to buy tickets for matches without booking / telephone ( ? ) fees . Amounts mentioned by OP are a disgrace .
2. Other expense of going to final : a lot for many fans especially for those who live outside Europe though I know of one fan who doesn`t fly who travelled from southern Europe taking about 36 hours each way and spent over 1000 pounds .
Problem of phone charges is something Hibs and other clubs should look into and hope players are aware of sacrifice made by many fans during whole season not just for final .

clerriehibs
23-05-2012, 10:29 PM
2 issues here : 1. Phone charges . How much , if any , of this money goes to clubs ? Not that some of money going to clubs would justify high phone charges . Was glad to see that membership owners are / were offered chance to buy tickets for matches without booking / telephone ( ? ) fees . Amounts mentioned by OP are a disgrace .
2. Other expense of going to final : a lot for many fans especially for those who live outside Europe though I know of one fan who doesn`t fly who travelled from southern Europe taking about 36 hours each way and spent over 1000 pounds .
Problem of phone charges is something Hibs and other clubs should look into and hope players are aware of sacrifice made by many fans during whole season not just for final .

Although in the scheme of things, phone charges are small beer compared to someone travelling from Oz. However, that person travelling from Oz knows exactly what he's getting for the flights he's paying for.

To make upwards of 100 calls at 15p a time, for nothing whatsoever in return and no phone queueing system, is just a rip-off ... especially when you multiply it by the numbers of fans who must have been trying.

And Hibs were a party to that.

The Green Goblin
23-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Flight:1166
Taxis: 60

1226 pounds (being paid off over the next 5 months)

Other numbers:

Miles travelled: 12000
Total travel time: 50 hours

Still angry about it. Don't regret it, also had some real quality time with the family, which was fantastic and badly needed, but I am still angry at the team and club. I have to say, reading the posts over the last few days, lots of great thoughts and perspectives, which have helped me, but some people are much too forgiving, much too soon (imho)

The Green Goblin
23-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Oh, and can I just say, that Billy Brown was the only person I heard actually acknowledging the overseas supporters and how bad he felt for them. Hearing that made a big difference and all credit to him for thinking of us.

TheMentalHibees
23-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I think the biggest loss to Hibs because of the final is the supporters that will never forgive the team for the result. Most of us will be back but there will be some where that will have been the final (no pun intended) straw.

EdinMike
23-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I spent about £540 myself, £405 on a season ticket (First year as no being a student..Had to get a relative a ticket as well) £35 on the ticket and then £100 odd squiddle on the day. And like I said I've just got out of being a Rag-Tag student and I didn't really have the money for it but still did.

Would I do it again...Absolutely !

StokePogesHibs
24-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Flight 1500
Hospitality for the family 3500
Being with my dad, uncle, brothers, sisters, niece and friends....priceless.

Be the first to sign up when we get there again.

GGTTH

scott7_0(Prague)
24-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Bet there will be a lot of 20quid club memberships bought this year ;-)

HH81
24-05-2012, 06:24 AM

I heard they wasn't going to be having them this season :confused: A new scheme I think I read.

Membership turned out to be class for me as I got my semi & final ticket without any hassle.

Cost for final -

60-70 fuel
150 hotel
30 club shop
150 spend on full trip
35 ticket
12 train

ManBearPig
24-05-2012, 08:06 AM

Is that a bad thing?

SlickShoes
24-05-2012, 09:27 AM
How many times did you phone ticketmaster?

I got my phone bill in and made about 15 attempts and it was £2 over what it normally is.

I made about 30 attempts on my work phone, so can only hope I'm not sacked for running up a massive bill.

scott7_0(Prague)
24-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Is that a bad thing?

Depends... can you imagine having more members than season ticket holders. How would you work the ticket allocation then ;-)

jacomo
24-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Flight:1166
Taxis: 60

1226 pounds (being paid off over the next 5 months)

Other numbers:

Miles travelled: 12000
Total travel time: 50 hours

Still angry about it. Don't regret it, also had some real quality time with the family, which was fantastic and badly needed, but I am still angry at the team and club. I have to say, reading the posts over the last few days, lots of great thoughts and perspectives, which have helped me, but some people are much too forgiving, much too soon (imho)

Still unrelenting fury from me. As far as I'm concerned, just about everybody at Hibs should be worried about their job this summer.

And I'm only £500 down after the weekend - a mere day's wages for some of our footballers. :grr:

The Green Goblin
24-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Still unrelenting fury from me. As far as I'm concerned, just about everybody at Hibs should be worried about their job this summer.
And I'm only £500 down after the weekend - a mere day's wages for some of our footballers. :grr:

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Phone calls, petrol, tickets, hotels, alcohol, they all pale into significance to the big boot in the baws the team handed out.

The true cost in my opinion is just how many people did it sicken, just how many might not be back? :dunno:

BSEJVT
24-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Phone calls, petrol, tickets, hotels, alcohol, they all pale into significance to the big boot in the baws the team handed out.

The true cost in my opinion is just how many people did it sicken, just how many might not be back? :dunno:

Couldnt agree more

If Hibs had won or even competed no-one would give a toss about what they spent

Instead there is now a whole bunch of folk thinking why would I ever waste my cash again on that again

lucky
24-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Must be the hot weather but I agree 100% with you. Not many have said that before

hibbybrian
24-05-2012, 02:47 PM

You're stretching the description a bit there G :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Friday made up for the game in my opinion, its why I made a point of heading down ER as there wasn't a game that day to spoil it. Some fantastic Hibs banter to be had by all!

hibbybrian
24-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Friday made up for the game in my opinion, its why I made a point of heading down ER as there wasn't a game that day to spoil it. Some fantastic Hibs banter to be had by all!

There was indeed :thumbsup:

You don't look much like your avatar though :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-05-2012, 04:48 PM
The operation went a bit wrong!

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2012, 09:35 PM
You're stretching the description a bit there G :greengrin

Hallo Brian, sorry we missed you on the Saturday night, we decided on the bus back to dump the hotel, and travel home that night. None of us fancied another night in those beds, and with the way the game went, again none of us fancied a drink or the hangover that would have ensued.

For next seasons final, the hotel is down to you bud. :greengrin

JohnStephens91
24-05-2012, 09:49 PM
It only cost me about £55 for travel, food, drink (lots afterwards :() and the programme. £28 for the ticket. A lifetime scar on my heart.

Steve-O
26-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Flights to Sydney - $500
3 nights hotel - $400
Spending money - $400
Roaming phone bill for post match Facebook rants - probably another $40 odds.

So, the game cost me in the region of about 600 quid and I didn't even go! :rolleyes:

Squealing pig
28-05-2012, 12:26 PM
i got a ticket for free through at game, got free travel through spend a tenner and still feel bumped. lol

francobaresi
31-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Phone bill just come in and been stung for my calls made trying to get tickets for the final... Never read it was a premium line and you'd get charged even if you never got through in the small print before I started ringing the number... The season has officially ended...

Albanian Hibs
31-05-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm dreading mine coming in and I'm with virgin which will make it even more expensive.

AlbertK86
31-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Yep I wiz stung too.

Rod probably got cut of the takings as well !

James Connolly
31-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I was £23 in calls to Ticketmaster, and never got through...robbing b******s!!!!

franck sauzee
31-05-2012, 09:57 PM
I was £23 in calls to Ticketmaster, and never got through...robbing b******s!!!!

Mines was £80!!!!! Absolutely furious! Anyone know who deals with customer service at Hibs. Complaint about ticketmaster service is most certainly going in. What a joke!

Greendreamer
02-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.. 102 calls made, never spoke with a person, put through on q and that set me back £16 - no sniff of a ticket either.

As a few of us have been in the same boat I'd be interested to see who actually makes money from this, the percentages and if available the profit made from this operation. I'd have had more success with a sex line...possibly

The Green Goblin
03-06-2012, 01:54 AM

First sentence: Agree completely. :agree:

As to your second point, well, I'm afraid I am one of those people. I wish I wasn't, but something just broke and died inside of me at the final and it's been that way ever since. That's just how I feel and I can't help it.

I am 37 years old and for over 30 of those years I have supported Hibs, come what may. This is different and I don't know why. It's not a nice feeling.

The final confirmed for me once and for all that the club didn't deserve supporters like us and the truth is it may have been one "let down" too many for me.

I'm still on the fence, but only just. The next few weeks are make or break.

coco22
03-06-2012, 08:13 PM
First sentence: Agree completely. :agree:

As to your second point, well, I'm afraid I am one of those people. I wish I wasn't, but something just broke and died inside of me at the final and it's been that way ever since. That's just how I feel and I can't help it.

I am 37 years old and for over 30 of those years I have supported Hibs, come what may. This is different and I don't know why. It's not a nice feeling.

The final confirmed for me once and for all that the club didn't deserve supporters like us and the truth is it may have been one "let down" too many for me.

I'm still on the fence, but only just. The next few weeks are make or break.

strange how an occasion can effect you. i was as gutted as everyone at the final and was really low for days after, still am when i think about it. but something about the support on the day and the passion it made me feel about the club (which has been significantly lacking for a while) makes me want to get right back in about it. new team, placing trust that things will happen, i think we may come out of this alright (scars aside)

u'll be back...