PDA

View Full Version : More pandering to the bigots for the money.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2012, 05:56 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18288466?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sportsound

lucky
31-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Not really Hibs done it last year with a game against Sunderland

truehibernian
31-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Plus we get to see Celtic utterly humiliated by Real Madrid......I'd see that as an early season bonus.

joe breezy
31-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah, Hibs did it too...

Not sure it was a worthwhile exercise mind...

hibbybrian
31-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Hopefully there won't be a Rangers FC by then :greengrin

Mikey
31-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Rangers? That's a bit presumptuous!

NAE NOOKIE
31-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Aye .. the Sunderland game replaced a league game last season. Mind you, we would have been better playing the league game coz the turn out from the Hibs support was truly pathetic.

If we are going to postpone a league match for a friendly lets get Man Utd or Inter Milan or something so we can make some money, otherwise its a waste of time.

truehibernian
31-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Hibs U20 v Hearts U20 Challenge Cup ?

truehibernian
31-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Gate split between clubs

Moulin Yarns
01-06-2012, 05:23 AM
What is this bit about??

"Rangers and Celtic will both be scheduled to play at home that weekend."

THEY are NEVER both at home, and how come the fixtures have been FIXED already??

PeeJay
01-06-2012, 06:07 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18288466?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sportsound

Typical of the shambles that is Scottish football - what other league in Europe cancels it scheduled fixtures so some irrelevant game can be played for money elsewhere?

Does this just apply to the OF or are the lesser clubs also entitled to do this - assuming they can find a lucrative opponent that is?

And BTW - does this mean Rangers will now definitely be in the SPL this coming season?

Beefster
01-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Typical of the shambles that is Scottish football - what other league in Europe cancels it scheduled fixtures so some irrelevant game can be played for money elsewhere?

Does this just apply to the OF or are the lesser clubs also entitled to do this - assuming they can find a lucrative opponent that is?

And BTW - does this mean Rangers will now definitely be in the SPL this coming season?

As has already been said, Hibs took advantage of this last season. It's a bit pointless criticising the SPL/OF when Hibs are doing the same thing.

3pm
01-06-2012, 06:34 AM
What is this bit about??

"Rangers and Celtic will both be scheduled to play at home that weekend."

THEY are NEVER both at home, and how come the fixtures have been FIXED already??

Means nobody else's home support is compromised.

CallumLaidlaw
01-06-2012, 06:37 AM
I'm pretty sure hibs done this last time because they had already been given an indication that we would be scheduled to play Celtic that weekend, so we arranged the Sunderland game, and surprise surprise, when the fixtures came out we were scheduled against St Johnstone (I think)

marinello59
01-06-2012, 06:41 AM
I hope Hibs just stick with playing a league game on a Saturday rather than shifting it to midweek to accomodate a meaningless kick about. The club has made enough noise about trying to keep kick of times and days sensible, this lets them show that they mean it.

PeeJay
01-06-2012, 06:47 AM
As has already been said, Hibs took advantage of this last season. It's a bit pointless criticising the SPL/OF when Hibs are doing the same thing.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but this wasn't this nonsense instigated at the request of the OF? - The "lesser" clubs were then left with an empty Saturday - so clubs with some initiative (Hibs) arranged a game for that day -

Seems a ridiculous reason to me to interrupt the league season this way...

bingo70
01-06-2012, 07:01 AM
IIRC We did it last season as the season kicked off earlier than expected and the bigot bros had already made commitments to play in tournaments, no reason to do it this year again though.

Geo_1875
01-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Hopefully RFC will have a season of friendlies.

CallumLaidlaw
01-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but this wasn't this nonsense instigated at the request of the OF? - The "lesser" clubs were then left with an empty Saturday - so clubs with some initiative (Hibs) arranged a game for that day -

Some normal fixtures went ahead if none of the teams had arranged friendlies

marinello59
01-06-2012, 07:13 AM

Hibs had a scheduled league match against St Johnstone. They chose to play a friendly instead.

marinello59
01-06-2012, 07:14 AM
IIRC We did it last season as the season kicked off earlier than expected and the bigot bros had already made commitments to play in tournaments, no reason to do it this year again though.

Exactly, that was the reason given. Looks like that changed when Celtc agreed to the Real Madrid game though.

Beefster
01-06-2012, 07:30 AM

Only if you call a game against St Johnstone an 'empty Saturday'.

I'm not disputing that it's ridiculous - just that criticising other folk for doing it is a tad hypocritical.

down-the-slope
01-06-2012, 07:35 AM

Sticking up for the OF here...they arranged friendlies way ahead of time...BEFORE the SPL decided on an earlier than usual start date. The desicion was taken to not force the cancelation of the pre-arrabged friendlies and instead offer any SPL club opportunity to have one of first 3 fixtures postponed to be able to play such a friendly (we organised Sunderland - in hindsight playing St J and trying to get 3 points on the board would have been better)

It was iirc satsted at the time that this was a one off arrangement and would not be repeated in future years.

Again due to SPL having plenty to occupy itself this last few months, this has slipped by, and Celtic have gone out of their way to make this match an SPL promotion job (quite clever - unless they get humped)

They are maybe just supplementing their income incase there are no OF games this season :wink:

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Hibs had a scheduled league match against St Johnstone. They chose to play a friendly instead.

Yip thats correct, and took another Saturday out the season ticket. What other league allows clubs to cancel a league match because they want to play a friendly?

What do you think the answer would have been, if it was Hibs who'd asked the question?

We took advantage because rantic had been allowed, its a disgrace clubs being allowed to do this, and only allowed because of two clubs.

joe breezy
01-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Was made clear by the SPL that any member clubs can play friendlies that weekend...if going to be so flexible why not start the league a week later?

jgl07
01-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Only if you call a game against St Johnstone an 'empty Saturday'.

Postponing the match was probably a good move. If I recall correctly Hibs won the match when it was rearranged. The only home League win of the season before the Dunfermline match.

Juice-Terry
01-06-2012, 12:04 PM
From one thing to another: when's the new fixture list out?

dangermouse
01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Not really Hibs done it last year with a game against Sunderland

And what a snorefest that was!

DH1875
01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
When we done it against Sunderland both infirm teams didn't do it on the same day. Think der hun played Chelsea same day as us but celtic played either the week before or after.

sahib
01-06-2012, 07:36 PM
And what a snorefest that was!

It heralded the season to come.